Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Rodeo Transmission Questions

yankee6yankee6 Member Posts: 1
New member, have 2002 Rodeo, V6, 2-WD, leaking transmission fluid from Servo.....I'm taking to dealer this weekend for their people to fix. Warranty is 10 year, 120K. Only have 49.5K. Is this an expensive repair and or should this be covered by warranty. Any comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks.....yankee6

Comments

• youngmechanicyoungmechanic Member Posts: 2
    if a professionl diagnosed a leaking servo it could be pricy.

why would yuo buy a ute in auto. manuals cant have this and many other problems. matt
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I think I read that the number of manual transmissions sold in North America is around 5% now, so it's getting hard just finding them any more. And many off-roaders, especially rock crawlers, prefer an automatic over a manual too.

I like 'em but manuals are a dying breed here.
  • elayerelayer Member Posts: 1
    When I turn the car on the transmission makes a wierd noise like an old barring would. Like a turn grind kind of a noise. I was thinking a barring in the transmission. And it only does it when the clutch isn't depressed.
  • dj2bigdj2big Member Posts: 9
    2004 Isuzu Rodeo 3.2 Automatic

I wanted to know when is the transmission maintenance sue. The manual is not clear on this. It only suggest when to check the fluid not when it should be changed. I have asked the dealer they said every 30K. I use to have a 2000 Amigo wich has the same engine and that had a sealed transmission and had to be changed at 120,000 miles. The Rodeo I have now does not have a sealed transmission. Im also about to hit 42K.
  • yz250chickyz250chick Member Posts: 1
    I have all the forward gears in my automatic 94 Isuzu Rodeo. When I put it in reverse, it sounds like the tranny is trying (ie., the engine reflects a load) but it acts as if you're stepping on the brake while giving it gas. But it doesn't budge in reverse at all. It will rev out to 2000 rpm and not move!

The previous owner left the tranny fluid in there too long. I just changed the fluid because I know it was burnt and low on fluid. I don't know how long they ran it on that fluid, but the filter was nasty black.

I didn't find any unusual pieces of metal in the pan, which I expected. The oil was still red, just dark blackish red and smelled burnt but not metallic looking. There was very little sludge in the bottom of the pan.

Any ideas??!!

Cindi
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You may be interested in Transmission Traumas?.

Good luck!

tidester, host
  • oylime17oylime17 Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 Rodeo is lagging quite a bit in between very rough shifting. Obviously there is a problems somewhere in the transmission...perhaps a shift cylinoid...or low fluids...
    Any ideas of what the problems is from previous experience?
  • cviethcvieth Member Posts: 1
    the automatic transmission in my 91 rodeo is shifting "in" and "out" of various gears. "check transmission" light flickers and transmission starts to act up and will actually shift out of gear and into Neutral or when coming to a stop it will not shift all the way down to low but will start out in 2nd. I've been told it may be a "Range sensor". this was suggested after having a scanner hooked up which indicated the trans. was in Reverse when the shifter was in Park. any thoughts?
  • nateasunateasu Member Posts: 1
    I had a similar problem with my 2002 Rodeo. It wouldn't shift out of 1st gear. I had to get the transmission replaced at the nearest mechanic shop. Isuzu wouldn't honor the warranty telling me I should have had it towed 50 miles to the dealer. I don't think the 6 month old in the car at the time would have liked riding in the tow truck.

Anyway, once the repair shop relaced the transmission, it seemed to be okay. Of course my bank account is $4k lighter. So much for the 10 year warranty.
  • ddickauddickau Member Posts: 3
    I was wondering is there a dip stick in these rodeos? I can't find one and 4 mavchanics said I had to take it a Isuzuz dealer to have it fixed and they would just adjust it with a key. Is this true?
    Also when I put it in drive I can't move. Alls my car does is rev the engine up and then it jumps and then I can move again. Until I come to a complete stop and then we do it all over again. It is almost like the feeling of hitting a patch of ice. U go skating and revving the engine up only u are not moving. Now it is doing the same thing in reverse too. So what is going on here and what do I need to do.
    Thanks
  • dmn96dmn96 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I'm new to this form. I'm trying to remove my manual transmission off of a 95 Rodeo V6.

The orginal problem is that it got stuck in second gear. Meaning that the stick is in neutral and when I let the clutch out it goes and I cannot shift into any other gears other than 5th and reverse but when I do this I cannot move.

So all of my bellhousing bolts are off and the transmission is loose but will not come off. I tried raising it and lowering in different positions but no luck. Also triple checked for any missed bolts. My guess is that it is still connected to the engine via 2nd gear. The only thing I can think to do at this point is mount the slave cylinder and have sombody push on the clutch. While I pull it out until it unlocks then remove the slave.

Any suggestions?
  • mvegamvega Member Posts: 3
    Hello fellas, just bought a 02 Rodeo Sport, When I get to an almost complete stop and let off the brake pedal there is a clunk coming out of underneath the car. Not sure if it is an mounting point, tranny or driveshaft, but at any other speeds it is just smooth. Any ideas?
    In year 02 what was the factory warranty on Isuzu Rodeo's. Last time I remembered seeing like a 7/70.
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    I think 2002 was the last year of the 10 year/ 120,000 mile powertrain warranty for the ORIGINAL owner. Subsequent owners only got 5 year 60,000 warranty if I remember correctly (might have been able to transfer the 10/120 warranty to a family member only). Bumper to Bumper was 3 years 50,000 miles. Go to www.isuzu.com click on "Owners" and the Warranty link is in there.

2003 warranty changed to 7/70.
    Thanks for feedback on warranty, took the zu for a check at the dealer I bought it from they said it is the Driveshaft which needs lube.
  • skatexrideskatexride Member Posts: 1
    I have an 93 Rodeo V6 4-WD I started it up and its starts shaking. When you push the gas you will be at 30 mph and the RPM's will be high and you can't seem to go any faster. Could this be the transmission going out on it?
  • cjredcjred Member Posts: 1
    I need help with trying to figure out whats wrong with my truck. My check trans and check engine light came on and it feels like the transmission is slipping. Took it to the dealer they wanted to replace the shift solenoid took it to aamco they reset the code I guess in the solenoid and the light went off for about three days until I turned on my a/c and it started to act up again.
    I just got my rodeo three mths ago and since u cant the trans fluid should i get it flush or what could be the problem?
  • delrosrdelrosr Member Posts: 1
    Hi all. I'm new here. I have the 02' V6 Rodeo automatic. Lately for the past week now after warm up, as I place it in drive and accelerate and press on the gas, the engine seems to pop out of gear then pops back into gear. Today, I even experience it when I place it reverse. There was even a time where the ABS light came on but turned off the next day.

Can anyone give light to my situation.
  • yorkycyorkyc Member Posts: 1
    Hello, i bought a 03 Rodeo sport last year, it was a brand new car, and i only have 8000 miles on it now. I have the similar problem as you had since 6 months ago. There is a clunk sound coming out of underneath the car when i turn the steering. To be specific, it happens everytime when i pull out from a parking space. I have sent my car in and out of the dealer and they couldn't pinpoint where the exact position of the sound coming out from. And the mechanic told me that it was the driveline. It can't be fixed, because that is the nature of this car, even i have the driveline changed, the sound will still exist, is it true? :cry:
  • dkigginsdkiggins Member Posts: 1
    the other day while i was driving i heard a clunking noise that sounded like it came from the back end. now when i put it in drive it doesn't really want to go. the motor revs up like it suppose to but it takes the rodeo a while to start moving and then it only gets up to 25-30 mph. it works fine in reverse. just wondering if it is the tranny or the seal, somebody that the seal went out and it's a common problem on rodeos.
  • ctg1977ctg1977 Member Posts: 1
    Hey there. I'm having the exact same problem with my 02 rodeo. i called the dealership and asked some questions about the abs. the mechanic is not sure what the problem is. I do remember the transmission smelling hot or burnt fluid. i took it to valvoline to check the fluid and it was over a quart low. helped temporarily now my transmission light is on the car is lurging or slipping nearly everytime i accelerate. im not sure if this helps any but if you find anything out definitely post something.
  • sdannersdanner Member Posts: 4
    where are the dipsticks for tranny and oil to be checked?
    have a 200 rodeo LS 4x4 :confuse:
    No tranny fluid dipstick on Trooper or Rodeo IIRC. There is an upper plug that you can remove and with tranny warm and running the level of the plug is full. Might need a pump or hose to get the fluid to the fill hole :-).

Found this in addition on one of the other discussion groups

just make sure the truck has warmed to normal operating temps & you will be perfect. Not screaming hot, not just warmed. Keep in mind that Isuzu states you must be idling in neutral, not park, when checking ATF level. Some AT's dont pump ATF in park, but they do in neutral. Not sure if this is true for the 4L30E, but it's easy enough to do anyway!
    G/luck
  • roxanne32550roxanne32550 Member Posts: 1
    Our 2001 Isuzu Rodeo shudders when starting out. Only does this from a stopped position and not in any other gear or when traveling (at least once you have gotten past 15 to 20 MPH. Someone suggested it might be a torque converter problem in the transmission. Would anyone have a clue of what it would cost to repair/replace a torque converter?
  • infinity0715infinity0715 Member Posts: 1
    Not sure if you already fixed this problem, but our car has the same issue, and only when starting or stopping....just took it into the shop and was told that the transmission needs to be rebuilt, as something went wrong with the drum, and little pieces of metal got into tranny, was quoted $1,500-2,000. You may want to check the Limited Powertrain warranty with Isuzu to see if your vehicle is covered, which is like 10years/120k miles, shorter window if you're not the original owner. Good luck!
  • justjelljustjell Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I don't have a rodeo yet but in a few days i plan on owning one. i understand that owning some cars, both new and used can raise questions and doubts. However, you may want to have someone check to see if your cv boots/joints are worn or if your tie rod ends are bad. sometimes the bearings in the halfshaft wear out. I hope that I was able to help you. Good luck.
  • demeiderosdemeideros Member Posts: 1
    Whenever you start the car it clearly state (CHECK TRANSMISSION) on the dash-board. The impact of this Signal is that the car switches off if you release the accelerator.

Meaning what? Meaning that even when restarting the engine you must press the accelerator other than that it goes off.Befor it goes off it jerks.

When you stop in traffic
    jam and you release the accelerator and press the brake it goes off systematically.

I have parked the car till I hear from you because I don’t know what to do and I do not want the mechanics to mess wit it.

My truck is IZUZU Rodeo 2000. The vehicle Body is SPORT UTILITY.
  • isuzutrollisuzutroll Member Posts: 2
    THIS SHOULD BE COVERED IF YOU ARE THE ORIGNAL OWNER.
  • venom300zx88venom300zx88 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 94 Trooper with a 5spd transmission. The transmission is blown, and I was wondering if you can swap the isuzu rodeo V6 manual transmission into the trooper. They look the same, but who knows. I would appreciate any information you could give me....Thanks
  • 9motorsport9motorsport Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering the same for the automatic- same problem, but I cannot find the fill/dipstick hole on the Rodeo trans.
  • wy282wy282 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 93 Rodeo & the speedometer doesn't work. I want to replace the speed sensor but do not know where it is located.
  • justanoxjustanox Member Posts: 12
    I have a 2002 Rodeo 4x4 with a v6 engine. When I get on the interstate and go above 70mph, the transmission shifts real hard, then the check transmission light starts flashing and every gear shifts hard. however, if i turn the vehicle off for about 5 min, it will quit doing it! Also, when I let off the gas at highway speeds, the Engine RPM's fall completely off and when I push on the gas pedal again, it takes it a minute to catch up to how fast the car is going......can anyone help?
  • marvin1907marvin1907 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Rodeo automatic, but i don´t find the hole to fill the transmission, is it sealed? Can I filled? What can I do? Thanks in advance!
  • menahuniemenahunie Member Posts: 1
    Sorry to hear about your problem. Seems this year has allot of trouble with the transmission. I'd check to see if there is a recall on the trans.
    Me if I had to tow the car I would Have. I also would have rented a car. A couple of hundred in car rental is way cheaper than $4,000.00 also you just voided any warranty on the isuzu..
    It would have been way cheaper than the $4,000.00 you claim; you had a "new" transmission installed; not a rebuild???
  • jinnesjinnes Member Posts: 1
    1999 Passport has lost forward gears. In TS'ng I found that if I start the veh with a 60 AMP charger on it, I can get 2nd and 3rd to work. Once I remove the charger they go away. When they are failing there is a noise that sounds like something is attempting to engage but won't. I have a SanteFe that Input and Output Speed sensors caused 1st and 4th to act that way. The battery and alternator are good and there is NO check Engine light or DTCs on the scanner. Anyone with experience in this area?
  • justanoxjustanox Member Posts: 12
    can anyone let me know what rpm's thwy're running at 70 mph? Mine seems to be running really high...
  • dorenavantdorenavant Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Isuzu rodeo V6, it has 85000 miles on it. It runs very good however when I get to the interstate and go above 75mph it shifts real hard and the transmission check light starts flashing however if I turn the engine off after 15 minutes the light stop flashing. I change the transmission switch mode, the fuel filter, the spark plug and the air filter but the light light still come on at 75mph and above. Please Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know there is someone out there who knows how to fix this problem. Thanks
  • karjunkiekarjunkie Member Posts: 3
    The Isuzu Rodeo has a GM 4 speed automatic transmission that is problematic. There is no dipstick. You need to put it on the lift and there are 2 plugs one a bit higher than the other. Open the top one and the fluid should be right at that level. If its not you need to fill it till it drips. If it is sluggish or overreving you should open the lower plug and drain, replace the lower plug and refill to the top plug level.
  • kaleosdaddykaleosdaddy Member Posts: 1
    I have a 02 Isuzu rodeo - auto tran.
    Today, while driving city streets at 45mph, the trans light started flashing and the car was rough shifting. It continued for 10 minutes (i reached home). After 10 minutes with the engine off and after a restart, the problem was gone and the light stopped flashing. SHOULD I BE CONCERNED???

ALSO, sometimes after putting the suv into park, it slips out of gear and starts to roll. I then have to replace it to drive and back to park then it stays in park.

Please help!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    SHOULD I BE CONCERNED???

I would have it checked out - immediately. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • dachedache Member Posts: 1
    i have the same transmission, check under in the bottom will see two screws one is a little higher than the other, that's to fill it with a syringe or a manual pump need to lift the car to do so
  • suebeedoosuebeedoo Member Posts: 1
    I have the same Rodeo, started having the same problem last week so I booked it in for a "checkup"...too late! It blew on Wednesday, blew the seals and the 3-4 accumulator went AWOL, mechanic figures it's somewhere on the road. Have to have the whole thing rebuilt now, clutches are burned, new torque converter - everything! I recommend you get this checked immediately. Sorry I didn't have good news for you. :-( But you might be able to save it yet, I don't know.
  • fordfan_17fordfan_17 Member Posts: 175
    my experience with the 4L30E transmission during rebuild procedures make sure that they bore and sleeve the 1-2 servo a very common failure point in this particular unit causing slide bump 1-2 shifts after rebuild ESPECIALLY if the 1-2 band was burnt when the unit was dis-assembled for rebuild
  • ericemartinericemartin Member Posts: 2
    I have a 99 Isuzu Amigo (which is now the Rodeo Sport). My local shop ran diagnostics because the "check trans" light was blinking. They got a code of P1843. They didn't know what it meant so I called a dealer. They told me it meant a "torque converter clutch" slippage was detected. What does that mean (he wasn't very clear) and how severe is this? We have almost 100k miles on it so it's probably only worth $3-4K. Fixing this issue sounds like it would require taking the transmission apart which I know isn't cheap. I'm guessing that it would cost at least $2-4K to fix. Is this true? Do I have any other options? We were planning on selling it and buying a new one, but it seems like it will likely be a wash or we'll loose money if we fix it. Should we find someone who will want to part it out?

Thanks,
    Eric
  • fordfan_17fordfan_17 Member Posts: 175
    according to my mac mentor p1843 is "manufacturer controled transmission" code this unit should not cost over 2k to fix but it all depends on your financing wether you want car payments or repair the car you already have. I might suggest replacing the torque converter from a reputable rebuilder such as transtar who offers a 3 year warranty on thier products and the tcc solenoid at the same time if you are mechanically inclined you could do this yourself. If not pay a local shop to R & R the trans for you and replace the two items i mentioned. As long as the transmission still appears to function correctly replacement of those 2 items should cure your problem and should be under 1k costs
  • ericemartinericemartin Member Posts: 2
    makes sense. Thank you very much!
  • soundrmssoundrms Member Posts: 3
    I have a 99 Rodeo that had a shift problem between lower gears and noticed every once in awhile it would happen at higher speeds. The shop I took it to replaced the throttle sensor and it stopped.
  • apintiapinti Member Posts: 3
    My Isuzu 2002 V6 Wizard Alive's (2WD) gearbox was recently replaced by a used one from an Isuzu Rodeo. The problem I'm getting now is that in Drive mode this "new" gearbox will hunt between 3rd and 4th gear. When switched into 3 it will switch through all gears as if it was in D mode. In range 2 and L it's switching as it is supposed to.
    The shop that replaced the tranny checked everything, the wiring, replacing the PCM, range sensor and there are no error codes.

The strange thing is that when I bought the Wizard second hand a year ago the D light never came up on the dashboard, but the tranny was switching normally. Two weeks ago it started slipping between 2nd and 3rd gear, which ulitmately resulted in a burnt gearbox, without any warning. It now apppears that the cooler was clogged. In the current situation the AT temp warning is working but the D light still doesn't light up.

So what could be the problem?
    Thanks for reading.
  • btrcoolbtrcool Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a used 02 Rodeo with an automatic transmission not long ago and tonight the gear shift went on me. I had been driving, went to put the car in to park but my dash indicator said I was still in reverse and when I took my foot off the brake, the car did idle backwards. I shifted all the way down in to low and then tried to go back up to park but to no avail. I tried a second time and then when I put the shifter all the way up to try to get in to park, my dash indicator said neutral. I shifted down in to what was reverse on my gear shift which put the dash indicator and the car itself in drive and I drove home just fine. I parked it with the shifter set to park and the dash indicator and the car itself in neutral with the e brake on.

When I drove it the tranny seemed to shift just fine. The trouble is the disagreement between the dash indicator (which seems to agree with the tranny itself) and the gear shift which, as it is, is preventing me from putting the car in reverse or park. Any suggestions?
    Sounds like it could be a transmission mode indicator. A little box down under that indicates to the system where the shifter is and what gear it is in. These tend to get gunky and can be cleaned and re-installed instead of replaced. There are instructions posted on several sites for this.

One thing that sometime happens is the tranny will upshift and downshift really hard instead of the normal smooth transition between gears. Sometimes you can kind of clear this up by cycling the shifter completely through the range of gears (while sitting still with the brake on) a number of times..this might clean the contacts at least temporarily.

Pictures and description of mode switch http://isuzufaq.ibctech.ca/range.pdf
    earlier discussions http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=1707