Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Cavalier Electrical System Questions

124»

Comments

• rass2rass2 Member Posts: 2
    I changed ground cable that took care of problem thanks.
  • wesleymaywesleymay Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Cavalier and even though I affectionately refer to it as my Crapolier but it is a great little car. My question one question is about my dome light overhead. Sometimes when i am driving down the road my car turns into disco, disco because my dome light will start flickering on and off. I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else and if so what measures they took to correct the problem. Secondly is my oil light which sometimes flickers on and off also. More times than not when I am idle. The oil levels are fine and I have regular oil changes. Any thoughts?
  • sophie_43sophie_43 Member Posts: 1
    Probably a door switch going bad. Mine did this for about a year before I figured it out. $10 at the dealer, pop out the old one and replace in about 30 seconds! It's in the hinge area of the front door. There are you tube videos available for guidance
  • arriolaarriola Member Posts: 1
    I had a problem i think theres a short circuit on my car. Whenever i open the head light at night,all those warning light on the dashboard comes out.and after that the aircondition gone out. And also the engine shut off.what should be the problem and how can i fix it.any help would be apreciated.thanks
  • tcc5tcc5 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2012
    i own a 2001 cavalier, manual,2.2l engine, loaded except for power windows and leather (i dont even know if they came with leather). sometimes when i go to start my car all the electrical systems go dead. nothing starts up. everything works fine when i open the door, all the lights come on, everything works when the key is turned to the battery position, but when i go to start it everything dies. then a few or many minutes later the car will start no problem. im half decent mechanically inclined but completely useless when it comes to electrical stuff and i dont know where to begin trouble shooting this problem. any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • seafarmerseafarmer Member Posts: 16
    Check the grounding wire from the battery to the battery tray. I found the tray had rotted out and separated a piece that the ground wire attached to causing all kinds of intermittent starting and dahsboard problems.

I'd also look at the battery wire connection to the starter. Check for continuity (unbroken wire) and corrosion at the starter connection especially.

Please post your finding back to assist others.
  • audri1audri1 Member Posts: 1
    The arrows on the bottom right of your sterio if you hold down the left arrow the hour changes, if you hold down the right arrow the minutes change.

good luck :)
  • doohingydoohingy Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Cavalier and one day the piece of junk decided not to run. It would start for a sec then just die then it wouldn't start again just turn over. But when I turn the key all the way off and try to start it again it would do the same thing start once then, die and just keeping turning over. Also the stereo and the dash lights wont turn on except for turn signals. if anyone has an answer to my issue it would be greatly appreciated.
  • roxy01roxy01 Member Posts: 1
    I OWN A 2003 CHEV CAVALIER AND JUST RECENTLY MOST OF MY DASHBOARD WARNING LIGHTS COME ON WHILE I AM DRIVING A SHORT DISTANCE AND THEN GO OFF AFTER A FEW MIN..COULD THIS BE A FUSE PROBLEM OR IS THE PROBLEM IN MY ON BOARD COMPUTER?
  • airelectroairelectro Member Posts: 3
    I don't believe it is a fuse problem. You must check to see if you have an engine check light. If you have an engine check light, you must have the code or codes read. If you like to do some mechanics, then I suggest ordering a program for a windows laptop called OBDCOM. You can do a search on the internet for it. It cost about 90 dollars. If you have a laptop already, then this program will adapt to the on board diagnostics with the USB port adapter. If you don't have a computer then buy a code reader from Pep Boys or Auto Zone. If you don't want to spend any money then have them read the code for you. If you have no codes then it may be in your instrument cluster. Go to Youtube and watch a video on taking the dashboard out, then remove dashboard and instrument cluster. GM charges about 375 dollars for a instrument cluster. Hope this helps, if you have no code displayed then you don't have many leads to go on. Just check the electrical system out. Check battery, alternator, ground system, belts etc.
  • billybeejaybillybeejay Member Posts: 1
    My daughter's 2002 Cavalier's rear lights suddenly did not work, at all. No stop, tail or signal, except for the rear-window brake light, which works fine. I checked around and found a YouTube video that suggested the turn signal assembly switch on the steering column was at fault. So, I got one sent to her (in Utah; I am in Alaska) and she put it in. Now she says the tail lights work but still not the stop or signal. Front lights all work fine. Hazard warning lights in rear do not flash either. I don't want her driving around without brake lights or turn signals. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. Help!!!