Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A3 Transmission Problems

13»

Comments

• fraziufraziu Member Posts: 2
    be verry persistent with the dealer i had to go there three times untill thay admited there is a problem with the trans. when thay screw up like thay have to fix it be persistent and hopfely the dealer will fix it. dont let it go . my car was performing perfecly when new and then i started to have problems but after the fix it is driving like a charm.
    good luck.
  • a3jasonna3jasonn Member Posts: 1
    I've got a 06 A3, beautiful car, really enjoy the ride, but also experiencing the jerking and it would sometimes stall on me. IT'S AN AUTOMATIC! After a while of driving and the engine getting hot, the jerking would happen mostly from a stop or through lower gears, and when I hit the gas to take off the engine shuts off..... I thought this was an Audi, what happen to "Truth In Egineering"?

I would go to pick up my lil' sis from school and the jerking would kick in, I look in my rear view mirror and I would see bodies flying back and forth. Scary for them, embarrassing for me... I took it to an Audi dealer and told them about it, but as I have read in many forums, they can't seem to find out whats causing the problem. All they did was reset some codes, it didn't do a thing. Took it back a second time the following week, same problem same response. Anybody have a definite answer on whats causing this jerking? Numerous reports of the same problem.

This should be a recall cuz' there has been times where I would be making a turn on a street without a street light, and I would hit the gas to make the turn and beat the oncoming traffic, it jerked and stalled! Almost got into an accident. Audi should really take this into consideration, it's really annoying and really dangerous. People can get hurt! OR WORSE!

Thanks for reading :]
  • vroomyvroomy Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2010 Audi A3 automatic quattro with 20K. It started having issues at around 12K. Severe clunking between 1st and 2nd after 20-40 minutes of driving. As well as a clunk into reverse. And very slow with bucking when in stop and go traffic. I was brushed off by the first audi service center but the second service place dropped the transmission and I was told the unit had to be replaced (this was at 18K). So far it's okay. Sometimes I feel like there is still a little more clunk than I'd like to hear while the car shifts from first to second. This issue has been a royal headache and from the forums that I've read from, the problem will return. I did have it in the first time before the car hit 18K which covers me for the Lemon Law (I hope). But we'll deal with that when/if the problem returns. I will never buy an Audi again.
  • rich167rich167 Member Posts: 1
    I've had the same problem with my 2010 Audi A3 (only 24,500 miles), so apparently they haven't fixed anything. The car bucks in the early gears when accelerating from a stop and, even worse from a safety standpoint, it nearly stalls completely when accelerating into passing lanes. I've nearly had 3 accidents due to this transmission problem. Similar to others, the dealers seem to consider this an unusual situation that they haven't seen before.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    When you purchased used, you never know what your getting, for all you know, the previous owner could have sabotaged the car.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    my 2006 2.T DSG just passed 84,000 miles, still no issues.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • dashlockdashlock Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2011
    That is a bunch of crap. Audi knows that this a faulty transmission, to the point they extended the warranty for 2007 and newer transmissions. There are way to many owners that have had this transmission fail to believe that it is an owner problem.

"When you purchased used, you never know what your getting, for all you know, the previous owner could have sabotaged the car. "
  • tmyers1tmyers1 Member Posts: 5
    I see we have an Audi employee monitoring the board.
    I don't work for Audi in any way. Just pointing out that your anger is misdirected. You should be mad at yourself and the used car dealer, who was probably disreputable.

choosing to buy used is a risk and a gamble, you lost.
  • misstepmisstep Member Posts: 1
    I've had the same problem with my A3 (transmission started making clunking noises and "erratic idling", as the dealer put it) starting at around 12k miles. I bought the car new--it had 6 miles on it. Took it to the dealer to complain no fewer than 3 times. All service technicians drove it around, on the freeway, and claimed they could not repeat the problem, therefor there must not be one.

Finally, I got wise and took a video on my iphone showing the RPM fluctuating wildly when I'm driving in first gear. On the video the service manager could hear the car clunking as it "dropped out" at low speed. Now my car has been in the shop for a week, while they supposedly replace the mechatronic unit.

If the car is not fixed, I'll make a California Lemon Law claim. Audi should seriously be ashamed for trying to cover this up. And for everyone else, here's the lesson learned: always videotape your car's issue(s). Not only did my video keep the service technicians from claiming there wasn't a problem with my car, but it'll prove invaluable if there are any future disputes about my claims.
    Modern technology is great. It also helps when the CHP pulls you over for your courtroom defense, if you can right then and there get out and take phototgraphs, video, audio recording of the officer's comments would be nice (video even better), or just a digital camera to record the scene in pictures.
  • hamza4681hamza4681 Member Posts: 1
    My car is now having the same problem of stuttering when going through the first 3 gears. Its a 2006 Audi A3 tiptronic gearbox can anyone give me some advice on how to approach audi with this problem? Also any info on the "Customer Satisfaction Campaign 35B1/J8"? was this done in Australia as well?
  • smithy10smithy10 Member Posts: 2
    after a painsaking 12 mth and being a mechanic our 06 s line a3 had issues with going in 1st an second dealer couldnt sort this warranty etc i have finally sorted this problem and can sort others out by shimming the floating lay shaft by 1 mm also tapping the g box and placing an 8 mm locating bolt into the floating bearing this takes the clearence that is causing problems with all 6 speed audi vw skoda g box problems origianly the fault is in production of these g boxs and come with fast assembly of these . i will repair anyones g box and can do this with out removing g box any one interested
  • charlie144charlie144 Member Posts: 1
    I am experiencing the same gear clunking problems with an A3 Automatic and would be keen on having this repaired. Where abouts are you based smithy10?
  • smithy10smithy10 Member Posts: 2
    i am in the uk north west of england i have a feeling you are in the us let me know ............
  • momo786momo786 Member Posts: 4
    hi how are you . i know your post on your audi clutch problem is a few years ago, but i have the same problem and was wondering if you found the problem on your car? please help
    hi. i have a audi a3 2.0 tdi 2004 model. my clutch is really making me suffer, i have changed the entire clutch kit and also the cyliner on the pedal when you are reversing and stop. the gear will come out fine, if i reverse and push the clutch back in while rolling, the gear will not come outm the clutch just sucks in and dissappears, its hard to go into gears. if im driving and i rest my foot on the clutch pedal, if i accelerate, the clutch pedal build pressure and comes up, if i de acceleraten the pedal goes in like it lost pressure
    hi. i have a audi a3 2.0 tdi 2004 model. my clutch is really making me suffer, i have changed the entire clutch kit and also the cyliner on the pedal when you are reversing and stop. the gear will come out fine, if i reverse and push the clutch back in while rolling, the gear will not come outm the clutch just sucks in and dissappears, its hard to go into gears. if im driving and i rest my foot on the clutch pedal, if i accelerate, the clutch pedal build pressure and comes up, if i de acceleraten the pedal goes in like it lost pressure
  • del26del26 Member Posts: 1
    hi
    I think i have the same problem if you can fix it where are you located?
    hi, still have not found the problem. im from south africa johannesburg? did you find the problem yet?
  • snappy3374snappy3374 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Smithy10
    your solution could solve our problem, we are in Warrington.
    thanks
  • paul275paul275 Member Posts: 1
    We're a outs are you based
  • luker2006luker2006 Member Posts: 1
    If so can you message me have the transmission fault, im in NW uk as well.
  • cjpowell842cjpowell842 Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2019
    I bought a 2007 A3 30 days ago.  Drove great and was at a stop sign coming off of the interstate when without any warning the PRNDS lights began to flash, vehicle RPM’s climbed to 5k then bucked.  Eased over to gas station and put it into park. The gear shift would move from P to ND and S but gears would not take.  The vehicle stays in Park even when you shift into N. Local privately owned repair shop says it needs a new transmission.  I’m debating on whether to tow it to dealership 45 miles away for second opinion. Any thoughts? 
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188

I bought a 2007 A3 30 days ago.  Drove great and was at a stop sign coming off of the interstate when without any warning the PRNDS lights began to flash, vehicle RPM’s climbed to 5k then bucked.  Eased over to gas station and put it into park. The gear shift would move from P to ND and S but gears would not take.  The vehicle stays in Park even when you shift into N. Local privately owned repair shop says it needs a new transmission.  I’m debating on whether to tow it to dealership 45 miles away for second opinion. Any thoughts? 

How many miles on the car?

A bad transmission might total it.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• jacenockjacenock Member Posts: 1
    Perhaps this will help