Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A3 Transmission Problems

Comments

• shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    I don't understand why you say that. Assuming visanth3 has followed the standard maintenance schedule, he/she was 7,000 miles into a scheduled 10,000 mile OCI. It is not at all unreasonable for the 2.0T to consume a quart of oil every 3,000 miles, in fact, by all accounts 3,000 miles is actually a bit above the norm.

At this point, if there IS engine damage, I seriously doubt that Audi will be willing to foot the bill because the owner didn't check his/her oil.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • visanth3visanth3 Member Posts: 3
    I have since this episode become very OCD about checking my oil, though even my BMW 330ci didn't need this kind of babying and that was much more of a sports car than my A3. And, even though 2,000 miles after an oil change shouldn't have meant the car would burn 4 quarts of oil. I can see topping it off every once in awhile but not burning through the whole lot of it in 2,000 miles.

However, this has nothing to do with the shifting issues I have described since they have been occuring since I bought the car with increasing regularity. Can anyone please comment about the DSG issues?
    Wait, I'm confused. First you said:

"Third, and sort of a side note, I only had 12,000 miles on the car, it had been to it's routine service and I had the oil light go on saying I was very low on oil."

"Routine service" for your engine oil is at the 5,000 mark and then again at the 15,000 mile mark. The implicaiton here is that you went 7,000 miles on the oil after your "routine service".

Then you said:

"And, even though 2,000 miles after an oil change shouldn't have meant the car would burn 4 quarts of oil. I can see topping it off every once in awhile but not burning through the whole lot of it in 2,000 miles."

Are you sure? BTW, you originally claimed that your car was down two quarts, now you are saying four quarts. Ummm, I'm confused again.

Regarding your BMW, the I6 in your old car had a seven quart oil capacity, your A3 isn't even five (IIRC), and as such is going to be MUCH more intolerant of being down a quart.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • visanth3visanth3 Member Posts: 3
    Sorry for the confusion. The car went in for service at 10,000 because of an indicator for service. They did the service at my request though they said it was a faulty glitch in the system that caused the indicator to tell me to service the car. So the oil was changed at 10,000. And I said it was down 4 quarts because the tech said it was bone dry and he added 2 quarts and that did not take it to FULL, only half way. But, honestly, this is more of an inconvenient side issue and I would really like info on the shifting problems that have been going on far longer than this oil debacle.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    From what I understand and some have confirmed, the dipstick measures down to 1 quart low, meaning, if its at half way, it's only a half quart low.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    I remember reading there was some sort of DSG recalibration procedure for some of the earlier A3's. Did the dealer do that on yours?

Wrt Oil, VW and Audis burn more than most and need frequent changes. Turbos only make it worse, and it's good idea to use best synthetic you can with these.
  • dwobschalldwobschall Member Posts: 6
    Attorney is pursuing a law suite. We hired a forensics person to do an eval. No signs of abuse or "Racing" as Audi stated, he did however find hairline cracks in the clutch that he thinks may have caused the clutch to go out, and causing the tranny to have troubles. Long process, but at least now we know the truth! Cannot wait to hear what Audi is going to do about it. Our total repair bill with clutch and tranny is over $8200.00, we have so far just paid the $2800 for the clutch, and the car has been sitting at the dealer for 3 months.
  • peevedpeeved Member Posts: 2
    purchased a 2007 2.0T automatic A3 two weeks ago. Feel in love with the model after a month long courtship, also looked at vw jetta gli (too preteen), subaru legacy 2.5 GT (too unpredictable), acura TSX (too underpowered), 3.2 a3 (too slow at altitude)... but that 2.0T took my heart. I know nothing about cars, just what feels comfortable, appears classy, and can induce euphoria. I don't know manual, but was/am astounded by the DSG/S-Tronic! It knows if i wanted to really accelerate and spool the turbo, or if i wanted a gentler ride. It shifts without any lag and due to the ever ready second clutch, it never seems to pause in neutral. It keeps the car in 6th gear at any time possible to save gas. GOD! i could go on forever about the brilliant engineering that was put into that transmission.

But then yesterday, my lil automatic A3 decided to trade in the Dr. Jekyll personality for Mr. Hyde. While accelerating up a 6% grade hill at 75 mph, I completely lost power. The display showed the gearbox was spinning its wheels in neutral while seemingly randomly picking out gears that nearly stalled or redlined. What followed was a terrifying 30 seconds of jerking, whining, revving, slowing down and speeding up, and feeling like my car was about to not only completely stop on the freeway, but then start to roll backwards into an approaching semi. Eventually I got it to a safe place to pull off and it reverted to its domesticated persona, shifting as normal. After feeling slightly idiotic waiting for a tow truck to pick up a sub1K car that appeared to running just fine, I got back on the highway, this time downhill and cruised home without problem.

Talking with the dealership on the phone on the ride home they wouldn't concede it could possibly be a tranny problem and instead blamed the occurance on ineffective gas intack due to low gas (1/4 full) which resulted in "sputtering." Taking the car in tomorrow and see what they have to say. Hope to god i don't have a lemon. At less than 1000 miles if they need to replace the transimission i think i'm gonna demand a replacement car, i don't wanna drop 30+G for a frankenstien jalopy. Anybody had similar trouble with an 07 or have heard of won cases over A3 transmission with regards to lemon laws?

From reading this forum tonight and my own experience, all i can say is that the Auto DSG Transmission is a true idiot savant! Most the time it performs amazing feats but sometimes you're gonna have a psychotic on your hands.
    Maybe its just the brain of the tranny (computer) and not the mechanicals that are psychotic?
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    An automobile is the absolute worst environment for computer systems (I used to design them). A strong radio transmission, Power line electrical arc, etc. can generate enough interference to freak out all but the best shielded computers.

I've seen computerized cars temporarily shut off turn signals, power steering and other items due to such interference.

Unfortunately, Euro cars (per some mechanic articles I've read) tend not as well shielded as USA and Japanese designs. It's one reason why Mercedes and others have relatively bad reliability records.

FYI, I have never heard of any car "sputtering" on a 1/4 tank of gas unless it was being driven insanely hard, usually on a race track. Is that what Audi dealers truly believe their owners are doing?
    Hopefully you'll get a satisfactory answer and help from your Audi dealership next time the glitches happen.
  • mdonovan1mdonovan1 Member Posts: 1
    I was stuck in traffic last March and my transmission for no apparent reason went into neutral and the indicator lights(r-n-d-s) started flashing.I had to put the transmission in park and then back to drive for it to start again.This happened a couple of times while in traffic.As I got out of traffic on the highway at +/- 100km/hr,it did it again.
    The following week I went to the dealer for the 8000km check up and told them about my experience.They never found anything.Two weeks after this check up my transmission started acting up....up and down 1st to 2nd and so on...at stop signs it would jerk,at one point I had to put it into neutral because I thought the car would stall.I took it in and the dealer had the car in for over one month and changed the transmission control module.
    One week later,I stopped to put some gas in and when I returned to my car,I would not start.I had to get it towed to the nearest Audi dealer.They said the problem this time was that the computer was on ''safety shut down'',probably caused by a power surge.
    Anybody else having these experiences??
  • bobby24bobby24 Member Posts: 1
    i just got my 07 a3 a month ago. Its a 2.0t with dsg transmission. its currently at 800 miles and it drives fine but i hear this scratchy/grinding sound occasionally when it switches from gear 2-3 or 3-4 at 2800-3200rpm. It doesnt happen when i drive with a gentle foot, but when i step on the gas slightly harder the sound comes out when it switches gears. It doesnt happen when i hit the gas real hard either. It almost seems as though the trans. hasnt disengaged one of its clutches or something along those lines. This only occurs on "D" mode and "S" mode but rarely when i use the +- mode. I brought it into the dealer and tried to reproduce that sound but its kinda hard to. Sometimes its light, sometimes its more obvious. Sometimes they hear it too but they think its normal. They said your car might be still breakin in. I think otherwise. Im wondering if its a clutch problem. I hear it almost from behind the glove box. Does anyone else have this problem? im really worried as i've read so many problems about the dsg. please give me some feedback so i know how to approach my dealer. THANKS GUYS
  • peevedpeeved Member Posts: 2
    thanx for the info guys. just to update you guys. my A3 which experienced a panic attack when attempting to downshift to accelerate has not repeated the problem. So hopefully it turned out to be a free occurance of a massively magnetically charged semi driving in proximity or something.... on another note has anyone chipped their 2.0T or put a new exhaust on it? I'm intrigued about securing more than 200 hoursepower.
  • donthegreekdonthegreek Member Posts: 127
    Check this site out on chipping etc:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/
  • iam1080iam1080 Member Posts: 2
    Hey,.. just got my 08 A3 and I am experiencing the same exact thing... I actually came to this site looking for some info on it. Are you having any of these issues as well? :
    When putting in park, the car still settles for about 8 inches before locking.
    When going from park to reverse, the transmission doesn't catch into gear and car really goes forward?
  • mpbertoldompbertoldo Member Posts: 2
    i have an '07 3.2 with the DSG, at 35k i was driving on a steep hill and my engine reved, transmission sounded and felt like i wa slipping the clutch of a manual car, and my dash lit up like a disco with flashing lights and all. i was able to get the car off the road to a parking lot at a winding slipping 3 to 5 miles per hour. once i stopped the car, that was it it wouldn't start. the car was towed to my servicing dealer, where it was diagnosed as the main brain for the transmission. which was on back order in germany and wouldn't arrive for three weeks.and it didn't. the car was returned to me after 24 days.
    then begins m saga. after leaving the dealership, i notice a noise coming from the front left area of the car when i make left turns, accelerate from a stop and reverse turning my wheel to the right. now its been six months, 34 days in service, 5 testdrives with techs, 3 different parts replaced, 5 repairs, and they still dont know what the noise is. its mainly in the sport or manual mode, very jerky from a stop start, noisy, and clunk feel inthe steering and steering wheel.it's getting worse.
    my feeling is it all has to do with the DSG transmission. i love how it works WHEN IT WORKS, but its been a nightmare and it doesnt feel safe, especially comuting a steep windy road as i do 4 to 5 times a week.
  • mpbertoldompbertoldo Member Posts: 2
    yes that happened right from the start
  • FIVEBMWSFIVEBMWS Member Posts: 1
    AT 5100 miles, my transmission wont change gears, my power window broke, my handle on my glove box fell off, and my power seat stopped working.

I will never buy another audi again, should have purchased a BMW.
  • la4meadla4mead Member Posts: 347
    I need to ask, since you sound like an expert...

How's the Audi warrantee service? How have you been treated? Have you been to more than one dealer for warrantee help?

Thanks!
  • a3drivera3driver Member Posts: 1
    I know this is a 3 year old message, but I have a 2006 A3, and it is doing the exact same thing you described. After being warmed up for about 30 minutes or so, it will start lurching when coming to a stop, with an extremely hard shift down into 1st gear (I have a DSG). And then when you acccelerate, it will slam into gear.

Took it in to the dealer, they could replicate the problem but could not figure out how to fix it. Took it home, figuring "I could live with it" (dealer couldn't even give me an estimate of how much it would cost to fix).

Now in addition to the lurch/hard shift into/from 1st gear, I have a "transmission whine" at anything above 30 mph. I'm taking it in again, but it is extremely frustrating. Hopefully this time they'll be able to fix it!

Did you ever find out what was causing this problem? I am seriously considering getting rid of my car and getting something else (a non-Audi product).
  • loobilooloobiloo Member Posts: 3
    Hi

I also have an audi 08, A3 and have the exact same problem where my car lunges forward about 8 inches when put in park. I even have to control it with the handbrake to reverse into my drive when every other automatic car I've had before simply reverses in fine.

I asked the service dept at my local dealership about it and they said that this is common with gearboxes which have paddle controls behind the steering wheel??? I previously owned an audi A4 cabriolet and this was the same but nowhere near as bad as the A3. Various people have driven the car and all said the same that I should take it back to the dealer but I just get the same answer that there's nothing wrong with it. My last A4 I took in for them to check and they said they had altered the transmission slightly which was complete rubbish as it was exactly the same. I am changing my car next year and there's no way I would get another Audi simply due to the gearbox issues!
  • paperclippaperclip Member Posts: 1
    just test drove an Audi A3 2/0 tdi auto with DSG. Was very impresssed with the car until.....slowing to a stop in slow traffic there was a sudden 'kick', and shortly afterwards whilst crawling forward another violent double kick. Like having a horse in the back. So I came on line looking for users with any similar experience and this seeems to describe it...Unbelievable....don't think I'll buy.
    I know its unbelievable isn't it! I unfortunately test drove an A3 but an 'older' model so did not notice any gear problems until I got the actual car - you are wise not buying. I would not buy another Audi now.
    I'm thinking Audi A3 2.0 TDI plus a true 6-Speed transmission (you know, the kind with three pedals under the dash) would equal true bliss. ;)

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • samasclsamascl Member Posts: 17
    We own an A4 2008 and an A3 2008, the A3(automatic) at 28k is doing the same thing that everyone describes here, the moving forward in park + an annoying jerking reaction everytime the car is seating in traffic and you press the gas to take off, the cars seems and act like a manual car taking off, the cars is not able to pass first gear and jerks and then goes. The other day I rode with a friend in the car and she looked at me like"You dont know how to drive 5 speed?" and I have to explained her that it is automatic and it is doing this jumping jerking thing to take off in first.
    I have to take it to the dealer, but I know what they will say "We can't find anything", but I will waste my time anyways.

We had a lot of issues with a Jim Ellis audi in Marietta Ga, and now we are dealing with Nalley Roswell, they are much better, but unfortunately having 2 audis can be a pain, specially when they are due for service one after the other, since we bought then a couple weeks apart.

Nice car!!! still in love with it and I can't picture myself trading it in, but I know eventually I will for the cost of keeping running.

I hope my comments can guide someone or can get me answers.

Sam :P
  • nj240nj240 Member Posts: 1
    Just want to chime in, as for the Jerking complaints its impossible to diagnose through a forum, some jerking is normal, some can be excessive. Would have to drive the car to know for fact.

But a couple of things the DSG technically is a manual transmission internally so the rolling when in park like a manual is actually normal. Even with traditional automatic cars it is good habit to always use the parking brake rather then use the transmission to support the weight of the car, but its more obvious in a DSG equipped car as it really is a manual trans internally. Same for the comment that it takes off like a 5 speed, thats probably right cause the car is operating clutches like you normally would just you don't see it or have to do it. And it is more apparent at low speeds cause like a manual low speed maneuvering requires more work clutch pedal wise then just cruising along and going through the gears. I wish sales people would take more time and explain the difference from a DSG and a traditional automatic car, it's confusing because they look the same for everyone but are night and day internally.
    I believe dual clutch auto-manual trnasmissions to be the very best available today on the market. It doesn't get any better in my view. I have a 2006 Audi A3 with it.

I like it more than the R8's R-Tronic, and more than any CVT by 100X.

I haven't driven the 7 speed DSG in the new S4, but I bet it's the best yet. (yes, I was lucky enough to get a chance to drive the R8 with Rtronic.)
    DSGs are second best only to a true manual transmission with three pedals under the dash. :)
  • beeemannnbeeemannn Member Posts: 2
    I'm new here so let me first say that I love my Audi A3! So much car in what really is a little package...it's fast, fun to drive, handles awesomely, gets great gas milage (no joke...up to 34 mpg at high highway speeds), it's roomy (I'm 6'-0" and can stertch out), and I can go on and on.

However, I've been experiencing similar transmission quirkiness you all have been explaining in here for a year now... ...and yesterday (for the second time now in 6 months) I brought it in to the dealer to be looked at. Yet unfortunately I got a similar response many of you have received...basically I'm told I'm experiencing characteristics of the transmission.

I'm not trying to find something wrong with my car. The transmission seems to lurch, skip, and/or slip like you all have experienced. The occurences can be felt at a stop or when I begin to accelerate from one. And they seem to persist more in heavy traffic or when I back up my slightly inclined driveway.

I like my dealer too, but I cannot shake the feeling of doubt I have about what is or isn't going on. And you would at least think they might acknowledge that, although there may have been some problems with the DSG transmission in the past that we are aware of, this is not the case with my car right now. You'd think a bell would go off or something, but they don't seem to act or respond as though there has been a problem in the past.

Maybe the fact that I have noticed this issue for a year now, and nothing serious has happend, is proof that this is just how the DSG acts. Maybe it's getting worse and something will happen in the future, like when my warranty expires. I just hope nothing happens while I'm on an upcoming long road trip with my family (over 2K miles).

For now I will hope for the best, and know that I'm in good company!
    and it appears to be just fine! I don't see it quitting on me anytime soon. :)
  • jimmy2008a3jimmy2008a3 Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2010
    Here is my 2 cents on this matter.

I was skimming through all the replies trying to find a solution for my transmission DSG jerking issue in my 2008 Audi A3, actually been having this issue for 1.5 yrs now roughly a couple of months after buying it brand new. I believe my odometer is at 33k now, but I notice the jerking issue back when it was around 10k. At first i didnt think too much about it until it started to happen more often. However, everytime i bought it to the dealer they claim it was a "ghost issue" and could not replicate the problem.

Luckily for me earlier this year Audi Corporate sent me a letter saying that enough owners had complained about it and they went ahead and extended my transmission warranty to 10yrs or 100k miles, whichever comes first. In addtion, they stated they would fix this issue sometime around June-July 2010 when they got enough parts. In their words they said it was a bushing inside the mechatronic unit has the potential to wear out prematurely.

Similar to your responses my problem only happens after a long drive for about 40 mins when my car engine is hot, then the issue happens when i'm accelerating from a complete stop and also when i'm coming to a slow stop.

Well, to cut this short as of today my Audi is at the dealership having this and other issues fixed. They seem to be well aware of this issue now along with some other ones. So if you guys own a 2007-2009 model with the DSG transmission give your dealer a call. Good luck!

oh ya, the other known issues is the center glove box has a plastic locking handle that tends to break off, i guess because of cheap plastic. Also, there is a stripe on the roof of the driver side that tends to pop out. I cant really discribe it, but for those of you that have these issues you know what i'm talking about.
  • marlaurmarlaur Member Posts: 1
    i see you posted this about a year ago i was wondering if the problem was ever resolved. i recent ly bought the '06 a3 quattro 3.2t and discovered this amazing lurching problem. i plan on taking oit in asap and wanted to know if there is a solution :confuse:
    Hi

Yes I solved the issue by selling the car!!! I recently went on a long journey and pulled up at lights whilst the car was in drive - the lights were on a hill and my car started rolling back! The gear box lurching just kept getting worse whether it was a long or short journey and then the key would not remove from the ignition - I explained to my dealer that it seemed as if it was another gearbox issue as the car obvioulsy was not recognising that the car was in park however after two hours of looking they told me there was no fault and that I was turning my car off too quickly - can you believe that! By this time I had just had enough of the car and sold it - my new automatic just pulls away from the drive without having to use the handbrake to stop it lurching forward - most dealers did not seem to want to know of any problems so I would recommend taking the other guys reply in with you and maybe writing to Audi head office to see if you get more joy - Good luck!
  • fraziufraziu Member Posts: 2
    Hi I have a 08 A3 and i have it since new. I had this problem with my transmition. After a complete stop when i released the brake the car jerked / jumped forward a bit at the same time if you look at the cluster panel at the gear indicator i saw a change in display from D (regular Drive mode indication ) to something else ( for just a split of a second ) i cant tell you what it was couldn't see too fast. But i was going to my dealer about this issue couple of times and at the beginning they did not want to admit there is a problem UNTILL i showed them the instrument cluster gear indication "phenomenon" at this point they took a closer look at this issue and replaced a TEKTRONIC or TEKTRONIX module in the transmition. and it is driving flawlessly till today. I can dig through my papers and find what is the correct description of the part they have replaced if it will help You. Center console latch did brake in my car as well. and one more thing witch is recent my battery died on me today. it is a 2 year old battery and it just stopped charging. in the middle of summer. Dealer states that the battery of an 08 model is not under warranty ??? I bought a new Interstate. But what is making me think is. The ORIGINAL battery installed in my car was smaller then all directories of battery manufactures specifications indicate. So at the beginning i thought they are wrong because it will not fit but to my surprise it fits PERFECTLY. My original battery was to small ??? the battery i got is MTP-48-H6 Mega-Tron Plus - 85 Months - 640 CCA ? what kind of battery is in Yours ? MOLL ?
    Regards.
  • kopp2itkopp2it Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 A3 2.0T. About a year and a half ago the transmission starting bucking between 2nd and third gear when i did a hard accelerate from a stop. It would hesitate and then sort of slam into gear. First Audi said nothing was wrong. Then they said it was the mechatronic, which they replaced a year ago. It didn't fix it. November 2009 they replaced the entire transmission. It helped for a couple months then started doing it again. They just replaced the entire transmission again and when they did a final test drive before giving it back to me they said it was doing it again. So they are "trying to figure it out." Anyone have this problem? It's a lease and has been in the shop for 70 days so far.
  • beeemannnbeeemannn Member Posts: 2
    UPDATE

While on my road trip this summer, got a call from my Audi dealer to tell me there was a recall that included my A3 which (possibly) dealt with the transmission related issues I have been experiencing. Upon returning from my trip a couple of weeks ago, I brought the car in to have the work taken care of (free of charge), which involved something that controls the shifting of the gears in the transmission.

I haven't had a chance to educate myself about it yet, but what I understand they did was replace the "Megatronic" unit (?).

Like I said, I don't know anything about this (yet), but I immediately noticed a COMPLETE difference to the transmission's behavior upon picking up the vehicle and driving it off the lot.

It's been a couple of weeks now, and I can honestly say that I have not (yet?) felt any of the problems I was experiencing in the past like I have explained at stops, in traffic, or even backing up my driveway. The car, specifically the transmission, handles just the way I'd expect it should, especially with the feel of a manual transmission's characteristics.

The only thing I find odd, and I'm not trying to come down hard on anybody, is that the car reacts COMPLETELY and NOTICEABLY different than it did at any time in the past. So it leaves me wondering about the motives behind those who test drove the car were really feeling. I mean, to constantly suggest that the car was always handling as it should before is preposterous at this point. The difference now is clear as day...crystal clear.

Don't get me wrong, I am elated and grateful for how the dealer and Audi finally came through for me, how my service manager delved into this manner to get to the bottom of it, and to anyone else over there who was involved in resolving this matter. And I look forward to my dealer's continued involvement with it's customers in this manner.

Oh yeah, I also hope this problem doesn't ressurect itself in the future like it has for some of you. May you find relief at some point. :)
  • tmyers1tmyers1 Member Posts: 5
    Was just told by dealership that my 2006 A3 with only 5,500 mi and purchased 2 months ago needs a new transmission, so it looks like I'm going down your path. Will sell it as soon as I get it fixed (have been quoted $6,000)! Out of warranty since it's over 4yrs. Will never touch another Audi and will post on every site I can find to warn people.
    Exactly what mine did with only 5,500 miles, now being told I need to buy a new transmission since I'm out of warranty on an 2006.
  • colloquorcolloquor Member Posts: 482
    I bought a new 2006 Audi A3 in March 2006, and I've had to replace the transmission under warranty, and now am looking at a second replacement out of warranty. I love the car, but this is extremely frustrating, so much so that I probably won't buy another Audi. My first Audi was a 100LS back in the '70s - I guess I should have learned my lesson. On a contrasting note, my wife bought a new 2006 Hyundai Sonata in May 2006, and not one single problem anywhere since purchase. Where's the justice?
  • allah2kkallah2kk Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

Been having a problem with my 54 plate A3 2.TDI.
    Particularly when hot, I really have to push hard to get into 1st gear when stationary. Same with Reverse. Once in, its wanting to pull very slightly, even with clutch fully down. Its also hard to pull it out of gear, but if I raise the Revs to around 2000, it takes the pressure off and theres no resistance. Theres no problem when its moving - only when stationary. Does anyone have any suggestions? Many thanks. Adrian
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Have you checked your hydraulic clutch fluid level?

have you ever accidentally over-revved this car by shifting into too low a gear (downshifting and accidentally picking say 2 instead of 4?)

The clutch is self-adjusting so no remedy there.

I guess I'd check the fluid and then have the clutch system bled and see how that goes. If it's still doing it, it may be clutch time down the line a bit.
  • deserontodeseronto Member Posts: 1
    If your car was built within the production date range of vehicles, ask Audi if your car- VIN number- is included in their Customer Satisfaction Campaign 35B1/J8 to replace the Mechatronic Unit
    Audi notified me January 2010 and again in September 2010 to book an appointment with a no-charge loaner car included.
    You an also call 1-800-253-2834 to inquire, ref 35B1/J8
    Hope that this helps someone.
  • juvajuva Member Posts: 2
  • juvajuva Member Posts: 2
    Having replaced Mechatronic unit of my a3, i realized that so many audi car's having Faulty Mechatronic. I think audi should recall all car's having Mechatronic problem or at least discount should be applied. Since i'm out of guarranty (2004, 2.0 fsi ) i paid good deal of money for Mechatronic unit.
  • dgsregrets1dgsregrets1 Member Posts: 1
    Sorry to hear about your problems. I have the same situation, but a few more miles....about 49,000. Did you get any satisfaction from Audi?
    a 4 + year old car with 5,500 miles (sounds suspicious)..
    No, I gave up. Dealer and I split the difference on the repair ($6,000!) and he gave me credit towards another used car. What I don't understand is how Audi can say there is no problem when so many people are reporting it. I'll never touch another Audi as long as I live. Really disappointing... they've got good looking cars.
    I'm actually living in Cyprus and this was a Japanese import, so it had been sitting in customs for quite a while. VIN number shows it was built in Germany and went into service in Japan. Many cars in Cyprus are imported like this one... not enough used ones to go around. I had a heck of a time reaching someone in Audi to talk to me. Audi America couldn't help for obvious reasons. Reached Audi Germany through their investor relations contact info. The guy was nice enough and I commend him for calling me back, but there was nothing he could do. Rather than fight while living in a foreign country, I gave up and put it back on the dealer that sold me the car. He didn't have to do anything since I had it for several weeks, but he agreed to split the repair cost and gave me credit toward another car. Got a Toyota this time. Another Japanese import... a Ractis. Sure wish Audi would come clean on their transmissions.
  • dashlockdashlock Member Posts: 2
    I think I'll start posting my story every where I can. Might as well use the power of the Internet since Audi won't listen to me.

06 Audi A3, purchased about 3 years ago. Had 60k or so miles, now it has 97k. I started getting the flashing PRNDS or limp mode or whatever you call it right away. At first it would only do it once every month or two. Then it started getting much more frequent. One day it happened about 20x. When it would happen I would take it to neutral, turn the car off, then start it back up, and put it back in drive, all this while rolling down the road. Not the safest but a lot less hassle than pulling off the road each time. I also found it did it much less often in Sport mode.

I took it to the dealership, but Audi refused to pay for any part of it, so I didn't even let them open it up. Read the forums and thought maybe the A182/A509 sensor might fix it. Had my mechanic replace it for about $700 just a week ago. Now it's worse. I think I'll have him try the mechatronics unit next.

I can't wait until I can get it fixed and then sell it. I will fully disclose the repairs, and it's very possible it may go another 100k until it fails again.

I loved my 2000 Passat which now has 230k miles, and I like a lot of things on this A3. However since Audi will not stand behind this problem I will refuse to ever purchase a VW or Audi again. I will have my fun on my Hayabusa, and get some reliable car like a Corolla. I hope my story influences others to do the same (at least the reliable car part).
  • tewatewa Member Posts: 1
    My 2007 A-3 has been a great car. I never had a missed shift or any mechanical problems what so ever. It has 91,000 miles and has been flawless. When I saw the re-call for the mechtronix (sp)....I took it in and had them perform the replacement. The next day the turbo blew loose and the car was hardly drivable. I had it towed back and they admitted they needed access past the turbo to perform the replacement. They re-attached the turbo and test drove it......Currently the engine light is on, it is shifting oddly, missing shifts, bucking and the turbo seems to be at about 1/2 boost. Today it bucked like crazy stalled out and after a few tries I got it started and back to my house. Shoulda left it alone. I must have had one of the few transmissions that was working perfectly. Judging from the posts I've seen these problems are common and difficult to get resolved.