Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Yukon / Yukon Denali

Comments

• drb2002drb2002 Member Posts: 72
    "The Denali AWD gives you a minimum of 38% of the power to the front tires all the time and moves more power forward if the rear slips."

Did you get this out of the manual? If not...where?

Dave

PS. I live in SLC, and drove the DXL home from Northern ID through one nasty blizzard, and this sucker is very sure footed. I gave up my Jeep Grand Cherokee of 8 years for the beast, and I couldn't be happier with the on-road snow/ice performance. I WILL miss the trips to Moab, and I just may miss the 4-Lo setting. I scraped the underside of the running boards on a curb the 2nd day I owned it, and quickly realized there was going to be a major adjustment in my "off road" thinking. End of PS :)
  • heatwave3heatwave3 Member Posts: 462
    drb2002: the 38% vs 62% split on the front vs rear power came from several pieces of literature sent in the mail to me from GM before I purchased the denali XL in January. I owned two 4x4 2500 Subs over the past 15 years and only used them twice in serious off-road conditions. I suspect I will not miss having a 4x4 Lo since I never used it when I had it.
  • mitch43mitch43 Member Posts: 10
    I recall that through an order number on a factory ordered Yukon, you can track the status of the order, including getting a TPW. Does anyone recall the web site or how to do it? Thanks in advance.
  • seattlesamseattlesam Member Posts: 3
    I have a Chevrolet Suburban, eligible for the $1000 loyalty coupon, which having read prior posts, may be transferrable to GMC Yukon XL. Has anybody used a Chevrolet Suburban Loyalty Coupon for a GMC Denali XL with success?
  • angler359angler359 Member Posts: 4
    Have a problem similar to yours only my vehicle is a Sierra C3. I am getting the whine between 20 and 35 mph on slow acceleration or with a steady foot. Have appointment with dealer tomorrow
    for test ride. Did you get your differential replaced yet? If so is whine gone. When it started with my vehicle at about 200 miles, I took it in and Service Manager went for drive and told me it was caused
    by air intake noise and was normal. Course didn't believe him. Have 1200 miles on vehicle now and still have problem. We will see what they say tomorrow and I will post results.
  • willardh3willardh3 Member Posts: 18
    Seattlesam--Post 456.
    I never did get my Loyalty coupon for my Chev. Suburban, but the dealer gave me the 1k when I mentioned it to him and showed him the title. I had confirmed with GMC beforehand that I could use the benefit even w/out the coupon.
  • cat1iacat1ia Member Posts: 16
    Had a chance to review the XLS first hand and thought it is a great vehicle. I have one resveration about the warranty compared to the 2002 Cadillac Escapade warranty. About the same price but more coverage on the 2002 Cadillac Escapade. Any comments? I think MC should match coverage.
  • jjorgensenjjorgensen Member Posts: 6
    I haven't seen anything on mileage for a while. My 1st Trip was from Wichita, KS to Branson, MO about 650 miles round trip. Total trip was 14.6. Hyway was 15.4, only 1700 miles on the engine. the 6.0 L engine was great on the road lots of pickup between 70 and 95 when passing. I am thinking of using a synthenic oil at the first oil change. Does anyone have a recommendation? I still would like to know if anyone else has more than one skid plate covering the transmission. The rear of my trans is open to the road, but there appear to be holes to bolt a plate for its protection. jjorgensen
  • vendingvending Member Posts: 14
    I own a YXL 2000 and am looking to upgrade to a 3/4 ton either 6.0 or 8.1.

What's the loyalty coupon and how can I get one?

I can buy a YXL 3/4 at invoice locally in Omaha NE.
  • bmoss1bmoss1 Member Posts: 3
    We're considering moving from a 94 Sub w/4WD to the DXL. Can anyone report how the DXL w/AWD has performed in snow or icy conditions? We never had to use chains on the 94 but had 4WD low. The factory brochure said chains won't fit on the DXL's 265 tires.
    bmoss1: I now own a Denali XL w/ AWD and traded in '92 2500 Silv Sub 4x4. Prior to this Sub I owned an '85 4x4 Sub.

For my views on the performance of AWD vs. 4x4 please read post # 451.
  • jgmilbergjgmilberg Member Posts: 872
    I have had a couple of new cars and all the oil reps said to run regular oil in the car for 9,000-12,000 miles before you switch over. One recommended to use a synth/natural blend on the 9K then at the 12K switch over to full synth. I have a friend that is an Amsoil rep and he says the blend is not needed, just go to synth at 9K.

The reasoning behind all this is to let the motor "break in" and seat the piston rings to the cylinder bores, preventing oil bypassing the rings. I have noticed in my own personal use of synth oils that the engine ran smoother and quieter.

I also think that there is a topic for sythetic oils vs. regular oils under the Maint. & Repair section on Edmunds
  • wildcard1wildcard1 Member Posts: 9
    Jusha of Southern GM near Nashville Tenn quoted me a price of $43,091 + .002 percent + $2.00
    for a Danali XL with center buckets and no moon roof. Requires a $1000.00 deposit and a wait of 4 to 10 weeks after they order.

They will pick you up at the airport or bus station. www.southerngm.com
  • bkosaianhbkosaianh Member Posts: 17
    I own a 2001 Denali, I am looking for clear aftermarket tailights. I prefer the type that you are able to see red reflectors thru the lense even when the lights are not illuminated. (Like those on the new Lexus IS300) Does anyone know where I might find them???
  • mbclk430mbclk430 Member Posts: 58
    I own a '01 white Denali XL and have searched for these lights as well......to the best of my knowledge they haven't been fitted for '00 and above chevy burb/yukon yet.......if you find something let me know and I'll let you know if I find something...I do have some websites that advertise these lights saved as bookmarks (they're sold on ebay as well) if you want them I'll forward them to you
  • angler359angler359 Member Posts: 4
    Mike, please contact me regarding your 2001 Yukon Denali. I have a similiar problem with a 2001 Sierra C3. Dealer hasn't been able to fix problem yet. They are interested in talking to your dealership. My E-mail address is gstone@1bigred.com Thanks, Gerry Stone
    Since my last post I have found only one company that makes clear euro style taillights. (American Products Company) They however do not make a lense for the 2000-2001 Yukon\Yukon XL. They said they do have it in the works but no projected date as of yet. They can be reached at 1-800-594-4APC or www.4apc.net. I will post when they become available. Be careful not to buy the all clear lense from other companys, I was warned that they are illegal. (at least in Michigan)
    I assume you also own a CLK430, If so, how do you like it I am one for my wife.
    The CLK is a great car.......love the way it handles and the rock solid feel. APC is a wholesaler and to purchase their products you have to go through a retailer.........JC Whitney even carries their products. I love my DXL too! What other additions are you looking forward to making? I would like to replace the plastic accents with wood (much like the '02 Escalade.......don't know why GM would put platic in the Denali). Have you seen the new polished aluminum Denali wheels?
    Thanks for the opinion on the MB. I have a white 2001 DXL, I am having a hard time finding any type of after market accessories for it. (My guess is its still to new) I have removed the GM/Yukon Emblems and the roof rack, also purchased Catch-all mats for it. I would like to change the rear taillights and the grill, but cannot find anything. I was not aware of any new wheels. I was thinking of chroming the aluminum factory wheels or purchasing after market wheels. I know what you mean about the plastic trim pieces... but once again I have not found anything to replace it with. Have you experienced the cold air problem?? I just recently noticed it on the drivers side. I talked to the service manager where I purchased the truck and he said he gets lots of complaints. I told him the problem seems to exist regardless of the climate control settings. He told me its a fresh air vent and even with the climate control turned off, you can still control the vent temperature with the "temperature dial". It seems to be working now. I also noticed a relay type of noise coming from the rear of the interior when I push the fog light switch. Have you experienced any of these symptoms?
    bkosaianh: I own a 2001 DXL and had cool air on both the driver and passenger floor area of the front seats. The dealer informed me that others had come in with the same problem and the fix was relatively simple with a sealing around the main vent box near the fire wall. Whatever sealing they did it appears to have corrected all cold air in the floor area of the front seats.

Are you satisfied with the Catch-Alls? My understanding is that the regular Yukon CatchAlls do not fit in the second row because of the larger center console. I also understand that CatchAll is designing a second row mat specifically for the Denali.

I installed the combo Hi/Lo beam relay, the auto fog lite relay and the auto unlock relay when the car is put in park instead of when the ignition is turned off. Great add on features.

Also installed a sunroof through the dealer. Same sunroof as the factory but with the one-touch close feature and the auto close 10 seconds after the ignition is turned. (Not available from factory.)
    Thanks for the comments on the cold air problem...I'm still not convinced the info the dealer gave me is correct. If not, I will start looking near the main vent box.

As for the Catch-Alls, They make a great product.
    I just realized my previous post stated I have a DXL, I was incorrect, I have a Denali. The original mats that were sent did not fit so I contacted Nifty direct and they gave the part # for the Denali and they fit great. The only thing I didn't like is that they put plastic disc's all over the front mats to hold them in place. The rear mat was well designed as it has cut-outs for the third row seating. Sorry I can't advise on the DXL.

You have sparked some interest in that relay, please tell me exactly what it does? Are you talking about (3) different relays? I assume the Hi\Lo relay allows for all (4) lights to be on at one time? What does the fog light relay do? And of course where can I get them? Thanks
    bkosaianh: The web site is truckautoaccessories.com, aka R&D Accessories. There are three different relays for all GM Full size SUVs and pickup trucks. The relays are the same for all of these vehicles.

There are three relays 1) the hi/lo beam relay enables the lo beams while the hi beams are on. Its a great feature and provides significantly better lighting on dark roadways.

2) the auto fog relay automatically engages the fog lites whenever the headlights come on, whether automatically or manually. You can still turn off the fog lites with the switch however you no longer need to remember to turn them on. The fogs will still automatically disengage when the combo hi/lo beams are on.

3) auto unlock relay unlocks your doors whenever you shift into park from drive/reverse. Right now your locks automatically unlock when you turn off the ignition which occassionally is a pain in the #@*.

The three relays cost $50 together and come with great instructions. No wires to cut and the whole job will take less than 2 hours. The hi/lo beam relay is installed under the hood and the other two relays are inside the dash below the steering wheel. These two relays require opening the dash which is surprisingly easy with the directions however there is abit of finesse required for reinstalling the lower kick panel below the steering wheel.

Good luck and let me know if you have a similar assessment.

BTW, what's the contact info for Nifty and how much did you pay for the CatchAlls? Did you get a full set including the rear compartment? What color is your interior and what color CatchAlls did you order?
  • vendingvending Member Posts: 14
    Anyone have experience as to what the 8.1 engine gets for gas mileage? 6. may suffice, but, I'd like the 8.1. I just don't want to be paying $200 more/month gas bill.

In and/or out of town pulling or NOT pulling.

Thanks for the help, in advance.
    chris@enterprise-vending.com
  • jgmilbergjgmilberg Member Posts: 872
    On my 2001 Yukon XL it came with programmable locks. It was not programmed at the factory, but the owner can do it. It is explained in the manual, page 2-7 for the Yukon/XL, not sure in the Denali/XL manual. It can be programmed to lock all doors at 15 mph, and unlock when the key is pulled out of the ignition, not when you shut it off, the key must be removed form the ignition to unlock the doors. You can also set it up to unlock only the drivers door, or none of the doors. I guess if you want it to unlock w/o pressing the button while it is running, like to get something at the store while someone is still in the truck, it would be helpful, but you will need the relay, otherwise you can do it with the factory gear. I got a flyer with the truck saying that the auto lock feature is not being programmed from the factory in the 2001 models. Don't know why, but that's the story. Check your manual for the how to.
    I'm in the same boat as Heatwave. I have a white DXL and installed all three relays........they work perfectly. Am willing to provide further info. I would however like more info on the catch-alls. The Denali and DXL both have the same center console so the mats that you have bkosaianh will fit in the DXL. Part number please........lol? I was told that it would be another 2 months before they were available, but I guess that has changed.
    jgmilberg: good to hear from you. Actually in the Denali's the fuel trip computer provides a variety of different options for lights, locking, unlocking and various other program choices. None of the unlock programs enable the vehicle to unlock automatically when it is shifted to park. The unlocking feature from the factory only allows the vehicle to unlock automatically when the vehcile ignition is turned off.

The R&D relay above turned out to be quite convenient since I found myself routinely in a hurry reaching for the door handle several moments before I had actually turned the ignition off. Minor nuisance, but for $15 it was pretty easy to make it the way it should be.
  • ferraro1ferraro1 Member Posts: 44
    Hello ~
    I am new to the forum , but I have taken delivery of a white 2001 Yukon Denali (not XL) LOVE the car !! we had a VCR and DVD player put in with the flip down LCD , and it really brings the cars interior togeather, but i was wondering if anyone knows if GMC plans to incorporate a GPS Navigation System like many of the other high end SUV's I like On-Star but I was wanting to know if they had any plans on putting the little LCD Screen in the front on any of the future modles.
    Thanks,
    Paul
    Paul,
    Could you please provide more info on the manufacturer of your installed video equipment along with the retailer that installed it..........I'm lookin to do the same with my DXL. Thanks......Sam
    ferarro1: I also own a 2001 Denali XL and am looking at installing a drop down LCD with a DVD. Do you have a sunroof? I have an aftermarket through the dealer so I have the rear climate control panel in addition to the sunroof. This combo wasn't available from the factory. Still trying to figure out the best option for a drop down LCD with my setup. I would be interested in any options you might have investigated in your install efforts.
    Sorry it took a day to respond I did not have the stock number for the catch-alls, so I contacted them today. The part number for the 4pc set for the 2001 Yukon Denali in Charcoal\Grey is 641538. I asked if they had a part number for the Denali XL and they said they still did not have them available. The 4pc set consists of (2) front mats,(1) 2nd row mat, and a 3rd mat that extends from the back of the second row seat all the way to the tailgate opening. As I stated in my last post, the 3rd seat\cargo mat was very well designed with cut-outs for the removable third row seats. I am sorry I do not know the cost of this set. Beware if you try to install this set in a DXL I do not believe the 2nd and 3rd row mats will fit. I stopped at the dealer today and looked at a DXL and noticed that the 3rd row seat has a foot well, I am quite sure that this will cause a problem with the standard Denali mat. I would inquire with Catch-All if possibly you could purchase the front mats now and purchase the 2nd and 3rd row when they become available. The phone # is 800-356-5666.

Thanks for the information on the relays, I tried to order them today but they said they do not open till 6:00 P.M. I will order them tonight.

Please post any other accessories that you have added.
    bkosaianh: now I'm confused. If the second row mat fits for the Denali which is the same as the Denali XL, why wouldn't they have CatchAll mats for the 3rd row and rear cargo area since those dimensions are identical to a normal Yukon XL or Suburban. Something doesn't sound quite right.

Do I have it screwed up or shouldn't they have a full set available for a Denali XL, if they have now added a design for a normal Denali plus their existing design for the Suburban. Anybody have any thoughts?

I'm just curious why you don't have the price for the set or is it the price for the XL that you don't have? Any additional help would be appreciated.
    Ferraro1:
    The only other things I've done is tint the windows darker, acquire the "new" polished aluminum wheels and replace that ugly red GMC grill emblem with an aluminum billet one. It makes the vehicle a lot more sleeker, meaner, cleaner, ..... I plan to do a video and audio upgrade in about a month or so......ALso want to add the Poron reverse/Back-up device
  • rhanson3rhanson3 Member Posts: 69
    Where did you get the new grill emblem
  • riskaker11riskaker11 Member Posts: 39
    Does anyone know what a good price is in Canada for the Denali (non XL). Asking is about 62k?
    Sorry I dont have the answer your looking for on the Denali XL. I can tell you that the part # I posted is in my truck now and works well.

I am going to take a guess at why they dont have one for the XL. My guess would be that this truck either comes with or is available with 2nd row buckets and therefore you would want the area between the 2nd row seats protected.

Your logic is reasonable because the first set I received was for a Yukon and it did not fit, so if they had to design a new set for the Denali why not design one for the XL at the same time.

The reason I do not have a price readily available is that the truck belongs to a fleet of 32 GMC Trucks and the aftermarket dealer sold the mats to the dealer which in turn billed me for the mats, along with maintenance on 32 trucks and the purchase of (4) new GMC Trucks. I do have it but it just wasn't convenient. I'll get it for you on Friday and post.

If I were you I would find a dealer that is willing to order or stocks both the standard Suburban mats and the Denali # I gave you. If what your saying is correct, the first row from the Denali will work, and the second and third row from the Suburban will work. (sounds expensive!!!!)

Good Luck!!!!
  • safe1safe1 Member Posts: 16
    For those of you that are interested in another source for your GMC truck accessories, I have found Performance Products to offer a wide range of national brand after-market accessories to help spiffy up your Denali's. You can access their website at www.performanceproducts.com. You can request a catalog from this site.
    They do offer such items as the Catch-All mats, clear tail light covers, etc.
    I've used their products on my '99 Denali and will likely use them again on my recently ordered '01 Denali. Happy shopping!!!
  • dwight53dwight53 Member Posts: 19
    You can get a visteon Nav system put in for about $1750. I had one on my Crwn Vic and had it removed. If I get a Yuk/Tah, I plan to put it in. Installation costs about $60. Many dealers carry them or you can get an upolstery shop or auto radio aftermarket shop to put it it. Looks a little tacky, vs built in, but GM seems to think that Onstar covers everyone. I am a sales rep covering many states and need a real Nav system, not onstar.
    The price I paid for Catch -All Part# 641538 was $249.95. These mats are for a standard 2001 Denali. I called another aftermarket retailer in the Detroit area and he quoted 299.95.
    bkosaianh: Surprising that you found CatchAll mats for your Denali. I contacted Nifty directly and they informed me that have not manufactured any 2001 Denali or XL mats yet and they are 6 weeks from production. Are you sure they aren't 2001 Yukon or 2000 Denali mats? I would think it would make a difference.
  • bigjim7070bigjim7070 Member Posts: 1
    I am about to take possession of a 2001 Yukon Denali XL that I ordered. The vehicle arrived at the dealership yesterday. I have not yet taken possession. The dealer was informed by GM that the 6.0 liter engine was defective! The engine has a definite knock. They are going to replace the engine with a new engine before I take delivery. Will this effect resale value??? Any ideas??? Am I obgligated to purchase this vehicle???
    Heatwave3.....I called earlier this week when you asked for the part# and specifically said 2001 Denali. Did you ask them what part# 641538 was for? I guarantee it fits a 2001 Denali!!!! I have never been in a 2000 Denali or a 2001 Yukon so I can not tell you if the ones in my truck are interchangeable.

As I stated before the original set I ordered did not fit and the aftermarket shop said that was all that was available. I contacted Nifty direct and was advised of the part#. I called the shop back, and they called the warehouse they deal with and they stocked them.

If I had a digital camera, I would show you!!!

Good Luck!!!!

MBCLK430....I need to know where you purchased the aftermarket GMC Emblem for the grill? I too hate the look of the factory one. I figured I would be changing the entire grill. Please post!
    Thanks
  • larrys7larrys7 Member Posts: 35
    Spoke with that compay last week when my 01 YDXL arrived - Customer complants forced them to remold the mats. Due out mid May I was told. Will post new part #s ASAP. I had a set & sent them back. I'll wait - great product.
    bkosaianh: Thanks for the additional feedback on the mats. No offense meant by the questions to confirm your info. Was just confused by the info supplied by Nifty. I will wait until they have the full set of DXL mats.

Any quibbles on the mats since you installed them and did you consider any other mats?

I also am interested in replacing the GMC emblem on the grill, although I happen to like the overall look of the stock grill. I am also interested in any info on a replacement billet GMC emblem for the front grill
    Sorry all..........here's the info on the grill emlem..........Manufacturer: Empire Motor Sports.....Autobahn wholesale, telephone number 1-800-750-1120, website: zmotive.com......this is the place where I first saw it ($79), but I shopped around and purchased for $56....cant find receipt to give info on retailer I purchased form. The emblem can be seen at www.empiremotorsports.com........click on exterior misc. accessories......its listed for $72.50 through them.....will try and find my receipt!!!!
  • jasonairejasonaire Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone have any advice on paint protection? Has anyone done it through the dealer and at what price? Any aftermarket products that make more sense? Please advise.
  • skeewb_4287skeewb_4287 Member Posts: 17
    I shopping for a full-size GM SUV. Should I get an optioned out Tahoe LT/Yukon SLT or a Denali? Is the $9,000 premium just a way for he dealer to get more of your money or is it with merit?
    Compiled this info from ai-online.com for a response on another site and thought the readers here might find it of interest.

All sales figures are in units sold for the months of Jan and Feb 2001 compared to the same months in 2000.

FORD: 2001 vs 2000

Explorer/Mountaineer 54,277 vs 73,840 down -26%
    Expedition 27,494 vs 31,683 down -13%
    Excursion 5,238 vs 7862 down -33%
    Navigator 4789 vs 6215 down -23%

GM 2001 vs 2000 (GMC, Chevy and Olds models combined):

Blazer/Jimmy/Envoy/Bravada 49,950 vs 59,371 down -16%
    Tahoe/Yukon 40,113 vs 27,253 up +47%
    Suburban/Yukon XL 31,061 vs 28,974 up +7.2%
    Escalade 2084 vs 3788 (The sales for the Escalade were almost exclusively in Feb. for 2001 as this is a new model and sales were very minimal in Jan. compared to 2000. If you doubled Feb sales (2x 2723) and compared to Jan/Feb 2000 sales were up +43%).

FYI: The Sequoia is not in the same league in sales at 9,494 for the first 2 months of 2001. Time will tell if they become a real competitor to Detroit.

For those making purchasing decisions on popularity, the newly designed full size GM designs are clearly the growth leaders over Ford and Toyota.
    Heatwave3...... Didn't take offense to your questions re: Catch-Alls, just trying to help. I received a catalog in the mail today from Performance Products. They carry both Catch-All and Cargo-Logic mats. The Cargo-Logic line has listings for 2001 Yukon & Yukon XL. Might be worth a shot!!! (www.performanceproducts.com)

Thanks for the lead on the relays, just installed them tonight!! They work well. You were right on getting the kick panel back on. That was the hardest part.

mbclk430......Thanks for posting the info on the grill emblem. Can you tell me how you installed it? It appears that the factory emblem snaps out , does the new one snap in, or is it a universal two face tape deal? Also does the size look right? I noticed today that the "perforated" style grill appears to be solid under the factory emblem. Wondering how the new one will cover? Please post.
    Yes, the current one snaps out. The billet emblem screw into the same holes (4) with washers and locking nuts. Soon as I find my digital camera........I'll take a picture and post it or send it via e-mail.
  • dhill3dhill3 Member Posts: 11
    mbclk430: I went to the web site you listed to look at the Billet GMC logo - very sharp! I'll be buying one for my 2001 DXL for all the same reasons (seeker, meaner, cleaner), but before I do, I'd like to know where you got one for $56. I'd much rather pay that than the $72.50 at the web site you listed.

Also, if you are still interested in a back-up system, I would highly recommend the Rostra system which uses microwave-based sensing technology (not hindered by weather conditions, mud/dirt, etc). The technology allows you to install the two sensing units behind the plastic part of the Denali's rear bumper, making it invisible. You cannot install in this way on a regular Yukon because of its all-metal bumper, but a small portion of plastic on the Denali's bumper assembly allows you to get away with it. And it does work! I purchased one locally for $156 (best price around by far) and installed it last weekend. It seems to work great. I did a lot of research on these products including Poron and several other "cheaper systems, before deciding on the Rostra system. It is also call the ROSS - Rear Object Sensing System.