Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz SL and SLK Audio Systems

ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
edited July 2014 in Mercedes-Benz
Post your questions about the SL/SLK's sound system here (stereo, CD, mp3, iPod, Sirius, XM, etc.).

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

Comments

• jjmslkjjmslk Member Posts: 3
    Can anyone confirm the iPod interface is standard on all 2006 SLKs?
  • stroudmanstroudman Member Posts: 192
    Like the phones, and sat radio, the wiring is present, but you do have to spend money to add the neccesary hardware for the interface to work. Otherwise, it does blend seamlessly into the radio, and works off the steering wheel controls, as well. It's pretty slick.
  • fortinjlffortinjlf Member Posts: 2
    According to 2005 SLK sales brochure the 420 Entertainment pkg contains 'integrated 6-disc CD changer, mounted inglovebox' and lists for $1,600. However, the current info for the 2006 SLK 280 on the MB website does not list the changer in the pkg, and additionally lists for $1,700. Also, it seems that the auto dimming interior rearview mirror ahs been changed from the 326 to 317 pkg with confusing pricing. Comments? Other info?
  • fortinjlffortinjlf Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know why the latest info on the MB website does not list the integrated 6-disc CD changer on the 420 Entertainment pkg? The 2005 SLK brochure lists it in the pkg which listed for $1600, while the 2006 list price on the 280 model is listed for $1700. What gives?
  • hgileshgiles Member Posts: 66
    Sirius is added and the glove box located CD changer has been removed. The CD changer is a standalone option now. There were many changes for 2006.
  • steel23steel23 Member Posts: 11
    I have a 2005 slk55 amg which i purchased in march. i have been trying to get the ipod interface from the day i bought the car. my dealer keeps telling me it isn't available yet. anyone know what the real story is?
  • hgileshgiles Member Posts: 66
    SLK Ipod interface should be released by the end of August according to another board.
    Any news?

Thanks very much.
  • tjgartjgar Member Posts: 1
    I just installed a cd changer in my 2001 slk and my stereo still says "no cd changer" . I plugged the fiber optic in but there are two fiber optic plugs, one with two wires HUM in and HUM out and one with TEL.I dont know if I wired it wrong or if there is something else I have to do to get the stereo to recognize the changer.
    I would appreciate any help.
    Anyone hear if the ipod interface is available yet? Boy....is this annoying!
  • ejerodejerod Member Posts: 86
    I owned the 2003 SL500 and while there are some cosmetic changes to the car it's basically the same system. The audio controls do scan all radio stations when you hit the arrow key. Refer to your owners manual . If you have the hands free phone there should be a separate manual that is actually a pamphlet on all the controls. I also own a 2002 S500. I don't recall being able to scan presets. You might want to try this. Using the page buttons (they have the little pictures of the pages on them). Scroll through the pages and look at them on your dashboard. It is here that you can changes setting for such things as how long your lights stay on after you exit the car, the language, etc. Like I said, I don't recall being able to scan presets, but then again it was never an issue with me. I just hit the preset buttons and actually rarely used the arrow keys to scroll. Really cool car though. I wish I'd kept it now. I'll get another one soon after my new home is built. You're going to love that car.. happy motoring
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Well as I live and breathe....where have you been?

So you still have the S500 huh? Still having problems? What is on your list for your next new car?

M
  • benzluvrbenzluvr Member Posts: 3
    I purchased a new SLK280 and have realized that the stereo system is totally flat and non ambient. I will never purchase another MB without it having at least the Bose system like I have in my SLK230. Ive checked with MB and the local dealerships and it sounds as though Im stuck with flat sound in a $50k plus MB. Doesnt seem to be a way to upgrade to a decent stereo.. any experience with this or suggestions?
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Member Posts: 336
    Need some info re. HK system.According to the brochure there are 11 speakers but we only get front sound.

Does anybody get the full surround sound from the rear and if so where are the rear/surround speakers located?

When going to the "settings" position on the screen the diagram does not indicate any rear sound or sound settings.

Car is any early 2005 model if this helps.
  • fm_retiredfm_retired Member Posts: 3
    I have an 06, but I believe there are two speakers inbetween the seats. Im sure if they advertise 11 there must be 11. I also dont like that there is no fader between the front to rear albeit there isnt much of a rear to the vehicle. It would have been nice it there was a fader or some sort of surround sound control.Maybe if they get enough complaints they will offer a software upgrade to correct the problem.
    Thanks fm retired. I'm with you. It looks as if there are 2 rear speakers in the middle but get almost nothing out of them.
    You are right ---there should be a front to rear fade mode.
  • rickywong167rickywong167 Member Posts: 1
    Hello guys,

I got the SLK280 last October. I am quite happy with the car in general, but the quality of the speakers is unbearable. I've been thinking of changing new speakers and getting an amp. However, I know nothing about any specific kinds of speakers and amplifier that will fit the new SLK. Can anyone please help me? I would be very much appreciative.

Cheers mate,

Rick
  • grantomug1grantomug1 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a new CD changer from EBay and need installation instructions. It appears that it needs a bracket to install it in the vertcal position aganinst the right wall of the trunk. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • lballerlballer Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2000 SLK 230 with a bad statac comming from the right door speaker. It only happens after I drive the vehicle for aprox 20 miles Weard huh. any segestions
    Were is the amplifier located for my bose system ????
    Also directions on removing the door panels to get to the spealers.
    Thanks Leo
    Were is my amp. located in my 2000 SLK 230 limited ???
    thanks for any help Leo
  • jhernanjhernan Member Posts: 1
    I would like a new radio/CD player in my 1968 Mercedes SL. The one that is in there does not work properly. Does anyone have any ideas of what radio to buy?
  • clu1234clu1234 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same concerns before, but turns out the SLK HK speakers are true surround speakers - like those you have with your home theatres. I.e., the sound comes from the front, with the back supporting it -- unlike other cars where there are "rear" speakers. If you get a high quality logic 7 CD/DVD to play in your car, you'll hear great sound. MP3s bought from iTunes... bad.
  • brassadonisbrassadonis Member Posts: 17
    hey I'm looking to install my changer too. what type of problems did you run into? Right now I'm not sure if I need to ground anything and I can't seem to get the headunit out to check the cables.
  • byron2tangobyron2tango Member Posts: 1
    1991 300SL: Audio from OE radio is kaput, even though display is working (power antenna, presets & freq. display). Any suggestions to troubleshoot, or is this serious enough to require removal/repair?
  • williebzwilliebz Member Posts: 3
    can you tell me how to remove factory radio from a 2005 sl500
  • lrs6lrs6 Member Posts: 1
    I realize this is an older posting, but did you ever figure out how to get the door panels off? I have an 2006, SLK 280 that needs attention in there! thanks, Lou
  • boone10boone10 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if it is possible to switch from a Bose stereo system which came with my 2007 SL55 to a Harmon Kardan stereo system which can be found in SL65s? The HK systems in my wife's last 2 E320s were far superior in sound quality than the Bose in my SL. I find it hard to understand Mercedes thinking when they place HK units in E Series cars and SLK55s, which list for much less than an SL55, and also place them in S65s, which are quite a bit more in price than the SL55. Where's the continuity in what determines stereo quality?
  • caswirecaswire Member Posts: 1
    My Audio is terrible, i have looked into the owners manual the only adjustments i see are bass/treble and balance. I do not have any rear speakers? It is a converible, how can they have a system without rear speakers? I mean this car has everything else, am i not seeing something? Help.
    You are both right. Had a 2005 SLK350 and now a 2007 Slk350 (Wifes car). Had HK in 05 and Standard radio in 07. HK was MUCH better but no rear speakers. Standard radio in 07 is a piece of crap and a disgrace to a $55k car.
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    I certainly don't have any complaints about the HK system in my 2005 SLK350 :)
  • orbit919orbit919 Member Posts: 1
    How do I remove the radio on a 1984 mercedes 380SL, I think the mechanic shop may have unplugged antenna when I had some work done, they are out of state, so taking it back doesn't work. Verified that it is plugged in in rear
  • andy1933andy1933 Member Posts: 1
    i replaced the locking servo in my 2000slk and would like to know how to bleed the system.
  • chevecheve Member Posts: 4
    i bought a used mercedes slk320 and i had to change the battery on it and now the stereo is asking me for a code wich i dont have does anyone knows how to find this code.... thaks
  • jay168jay168 Member Posts: 1
    you must go to a mercedes benz dealer with proper documentation (id, car title or registration) to prove that the vehicle is yours. they will print your radio code (with instructions on how to re-activate) and give it to you free of charge.
This discussion has been closed.