Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Gadgetology - Marketing or Useful Advance

Comments

• bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    The Mitsubishi GTO and its clones are certainly formidable cars in their own right, but the R32 GT-R is that much better: 3200 pounds, 4ws, AWD, 8000 rpm redline, and 450-500 hp from the stock engine once you set the turbo boost up to what it was designed for.
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    You can do the same with the Stealth, and the Dodge looks alot better than the R32, well at least in my eyes. ;)

Rocky
    Except for the weight thing; the GTO was 3600 and change.
    What the heck is a Mitsubishi GTO ? I know what a Pontiac GTO is but not a Mitsubishi ? :confuse:

Rocky
    All you had to say was 3000, and I would knew what you meant. :P

Neways thanx for the link ;)

Rocky
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    The Mitsubishi GTO is the Japan Model for the 3000Gt we had here. Next your gonna ask what is a Mitsu FTO.

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
    Next your gonna ask what is a Mitsu FTO.

I don't know if that was a joke, or you being serious ?

If it's not a joke, then lemme know what a FTO is ? :confuse:

Rocky
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    Mitsu FTO

Another car not seen in NA...but they'll pop in Canada in a few years
    LOL, now thats a weird lookin' car. :surprise:

Rocky
    That would be a good one for the mystery car pix fintail ;)

Rocky
    Sorry Rocky, I already did that one a while ago.

The top-line FTO with the 2-liter, 200 hp MIVEC V6 is a fun ride. We could have had something close to that if Ford had given the Mercury Cougar the SVT Contour V6 instead of killing it.
    Oh okay, I must of missed it. ;)

Rocky
    DETROIT — Talking cars are likely to hit the road in the near future, according to the engineers showing off hardware at the Convergence 2006 conference and exhibition here this week. This year's theme is "Convergence Reinvents the Automobile."

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=117197

Rocky
    "Your door... is ajar. Your door... is ajar. Your door... is ajar."
    ROTFLMAO !!!! :D That's pretty funny pal. ;)

Rocky
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    I'm not sure what the door ajar is in response to but it reminds of me of an experience long ago.

I had a loaner while my Buick was at the dealer for one of the rare occasions for service. The Chrysler seemed to have all sorts of things on it that were gadgets that my Buick didn't have.

I started the car in the morning and when the audible warning quit the car gave the weather report. "There's a light fog and drizzle in some areas" for example. I wondered how the heck they managed that with all the audibles, like the windshield washer fluid was empty, a brake light was out, the gas cap door is open... there were all kinds of things I was not used to.

It turned out the radio had cut it just at the right time for that clip of the weather report, but it sounded like another audible from the car on startup.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• snapcracklepopsnapcracklepop Member Posts: 111
    Speaking of gadgetry, do you guys know about Land Rover's new navi feature? The LR3 lets you plot out a course based on points of interests and generates a shape of the course, you can take a tour of the desert southwest in the shape of palm leaf or an eyeglass shaped tour of Miami. You can create your own shapes, I live in DC so I could create a navi course down the National Mall and have it shaped like the Washington Monument....it's another way to use navi.

If you haven't heard of it, give it a try....it's definitely something new, I don't know of any other manufacturer doing anything like this.

http://www.landroverusa.com/us/en/Vehicles/Extraordinary_Perspectives/extraordin- ary_perspectives.htm

click on LR3 and then on the experience
    Why oh why would you need AUTO PARKING? The only people I can see this being useful for are the (I know I will get bashed for this) extremely old that can't turn their boats around in an open field.

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
    The more gadgets the better. I wished I had a car to park itself ;)

Rocky
    Cool Car Tech at the 2007 Consumer Electronics Show

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=119227?tid=edmunds.il.ho- - me.photopanel..3.*#15

Rocky
    WARREN, Mich. — It's the kind of stuff you'd envision on the Starship "Enterprise." General Motors on Wednesday showed off smart materials technology at its Research and Development Center here that it says will be installed on new cars and trucks by 2010.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=119914

Rocky
    Vehicles Perform Like Human Drivers

The Department of Defense is sponsoring development of unmanned vehicles. These vehicles are being tested on an urban test course and battlefield supply missions.

http://gmtv.feedroom.com/

GM, has the technology-grin :blush:

Rocky
    Headlight washers, on the Buick (China) Park Avenue:

New for Buick?

I know MB has had them optional (wiper blade style) since about 1970, very common since 1986, and has had the pop-out pod like that since the W210 E-class in 1996. I don't trust those pods, to be honest...seems like something that would stop working. I've never tried the one on my car...I'm afraid it will make a mess and then not retract :blush:
    Fintail, your being ridiculous pal. I think those are trademarks of a Mercedes. ;)

Rocky
  • msindallasmsindallas Member Posts: 190
    #2 - Rear Camera's - I understand with the backing the SUV / Truck's up it helps to see, But unless it has the fancy slide clean ability like the NASCAR in-car camera's have I can see (or not see) during the winter months when you get all the salt / slush on the back of your car they won't make a difference. File this under the "Nice, but do we need it?" category.

Read on the news today how many kids get backed over every year - by their parents/relatives, due to poor visibility while backing a minivan/SUV.

Usually, a rearview camera system is bundled with other gadgets like navigation and DVD players, not really related to safety. So most people choose not to buy it, until after an accident.

My question: Shouldn't the backup camera be offered as a standard safety equipment? Do we need a few more kids to die on the driveways before making it mandatory like the LATCH and car seat?
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    > how many kids get backed over every year

Like odie61 said, why mandate cameras that require a screen inside (are you assuming everyone has to have NAVI?).

This is excusing oldfashioned job of making sure you know where all the kids are before you start your car and checking behind your car just before you get in to go back up. That's easy. Many of the accidents are caused because people don't do basic safety checks of location of everyone around and of objects beiind the car. Then when it happens it makes them feel better to say "The government should have mandated cameras or sound or infrared sensors to prevent me from backing over someone I should have checked for before I got in the car."

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• msindallasmsindallas Member Posts: 190
    Like odie61 said, why mandate cameras that require a screen inside (are you assuming everyone has to have NAVI?).

No, I didnt mean to say everyone has to have NAVI. What I want is a back-up camera with a screen (or display on mirror) and nothing else bundled with it.

If you are backing up without being able to see whats behind, no way you can know if a child has walked into the spot after you hop in the car. The camera should be treated as a safety system, not luxury.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Question of the Week - Should Technology Save Us?

"Each year, dozens of children in the US die because of a regrettable, preventable error - being left in a vehicle by a distracted parent or caretaker." The Child Minder® System

• john500john500 Member Posts: 409
    I agree with imidazol. You are looking for a technological scapegoat. I can't wait to see the nonsense litigation that follows the first accident resulting from a computer driven automobile malfunction. My take: Get a convex mirror installed on the back of your vehicle and insist that the vehicle is designed with a minimum of blind spots. Observing for kids on the street is your responsibility prior to getting in the car.
    Steve, that looks like a very nice piece of gadgetology. I wished all car seats came standard with this gadgetology. ;)

-Rocky
    edited April 2012
    Remember this discussion? What a difference five years makes.

"When was the last time you bought a new car or truck? If shoulder pads were fashionable, you're in for a surprise when you walk into a new car showroom. Even if it's been only five years since your new set of wheels, you'd be amazed at the technology missing in your car."

Hands-free text messaging
    Rear-seat iPad docking
    Wireless induction charger for your electric car
    Ambient night lighting
    Automatic start-stop (I want that)
    Capacitive switching (not sure about that - hard to beat a dial)
    Cross-traffic detection (yeah, maybe)
    Crosswind stabilization
    Customized instrument cluster (sure, and let the background match my desktop)
    Front center side airbags
    Panoramic sunroofs (be great up here in the UP; not so sure about down in NM)
    Push-button transmission

New vehicles come fully loaded with technology (Detroit News)
    you forgot the "Self Parking". ;)

Odie
    Funny - had dinner tonight with a guy who suggested that for my mother-in-law.
    "There's nothing as old as last year's gadgets."

Quote courtesy of Mr. Shiftright, in a thread about Ford My Touch over in Answers.

I want my MP3, and stuff like the Garmin navigation system is a big part of my driving experience.

Do you want to just drive your car and don't care about the radio or power windows or power seats, OnStar or autosensing wipers, traction control and all the rest?
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    I pretty much just want to drive the vehicle, although a radio that is loud enough to override questionable noises I don't want to deal with is good to ;)
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I was thinking more of things like e-mail and frivolous voice commands...."RADIO ON!" ----wow, I really needed $500 worth of tech to help me push a button....and coupling smartphones to dash displays. If Vladimir Putin, the Pope and President Obama don't need this stuff, why do you?

Remember digital dashboards, the first iDrive, and in-dash phonographs and 4-wheel steering. Remember electric cars? :P
    While its rivals plunged ahead with advanced controls and abandoned trusty knobs and buttons, Chrysler has moved more slowly with its simpler Uconnect system.

"We've definitely seen a shift in terms of what breaks," said Jake Fisher, the director of Consumer Reports' Auto Test Center. He picked up his iPhone from a conference room table: "Now, it's this as opposed to transmissions and engines.

Chrysler, which introduced its Uconnect system in 2003, has been relatively quiet in marketing its technology compared with GM and Ford. The automaker has introduced updated versions of its touch screens into new models as they debut rather than blanketing its whole lineup with its latest up-to-date system."

Chrysler dodges touch screen woes by letting Ford blunder (Detroit News)
    A reporter is looking for any drivers out there who can discuss the creative ways they've tried to keep their car clutter-free. There are so many gadgets, toys for kids, stuff for pets and other goods carried along in vehicles today, and he'd like to know how you manage or organize all these things inside your car. If you think you have helpful tips or ideas, please let us know at pr@edmunds.com by Monday December 24th.
    Funny about your original post... I saw a vehicle today with the pushbutton tranmission. No crosswind detection yet though, but after Sandy... I bet its in the works... lol.

Odie
    I saw a vehicle today with the pushbutton tranmission

"And now, just a few months after the CUE system made its debut, we have two high-volume cars from Ford—the Fusion and the Lincoln MKZ—with consolidated touch-screen/capacitive switch panels. The MKZ panel, in particular, recommends itself as a sweeping banked console that flows between the front seats. The gear selector comprises a vertical row of P-R-N-D-S touch-screen buttons on the left of the central LCD touch screen (shades of the '64 Plymouth Valiant)."

There was a push button Valiant in my family growing up. :D

Rest of the article is a good summary of where the cockpit is headed in the next couple of years. Goodbye rotary dials.

Dash Away, Lexus! Seriously, Throw the Dash Away (Wall St. Journal)
    I just hate the shape of that upper center stack area. It's pseudo-artsy, kind of pretentious, good for the target buyer probably.
    Interesting note in the article about how the "prime" square foot in the center stack is pretty much the battleground for the automakers now.
    It's where the excitement is, as not as many know or care about what is under the hood.
    "Individual driverless cars come with important opportunities for increased efficiency. Groups of driverless cars likewise have the potential for even greater collective efficiencies, for example through shared reduced drag. And driverless vehicles seamlessly connected to smart infrastructure offer even greater promise still.

Autonomous cars and a smart parking system could allocate parking spaces to the nearest vehicles in need of a spot, and vehicles could navigate to those spots directly and quickly, reducing the fuel consumption, emissions, and time associated with searching for a spot.

One giant elephant in the driverless car room is vehicle miles traveled (VMT). It’s tempting to believe that driverless cars will reduce VMTs through various efficiencies, but the opposite could also happen. In a highly autonomous vehicle future, we may do far more with our cars than we currently can."

Will Driverless Cars Decrease Fossil Fuel Consumption? (National Geographic)

I like the idea of your car dropping you off at work and then going to a parking garage six blocks away where there's space available on the 8th floor.
    edited February 2013
    "General Motors Co. is expected to announce today a partnership with AT&T that will bring embedded 4G LTE mobile Internet access into most 2015 GM vehicles sold in the U.S. and Canada.

The Detroit automaker said the rollout, which first will be available to consumers in mid-2014 as they buy 2015 Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet and GMC vehicles, signifies the largest implementation of 4G LTE in vehicles to date."

GM, AT&T team to give vehicles high-speed Internet access by '15 (Detroit News)

BMW, Audi and Chrysler have made similar announcements in recent months.
    edited April 2013
    "Toyota reached an agreement with Microsoft in April 2011, to work together on telematics, or network technology for cars.

It is unclear whether the site will really lead to car sales, but Toyota will be able to tap into data on consumer behavior, as well as try to revive Japanese people's fading interest in cars, he said."

Toyota, Microsoft beef up Gazoo.com Net service (Anchorage Daily News)