Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Yukon / Yukon Denali

Comments

• drb2002drb2002 Member Posts: 72
    Muncho, I was wondering where you got the numbers for the Yukon XL? You stated the following:

"I got the Denali XL figures from http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/previews/2000/November/200011_preview_gmc_yukon.xml"

This article states:

"They also seem to be more respectable in the 0-to-60 department -- 8.7 seconds for the Denali, 9.2 for its bigger brother, according to GMC."

So where is the data for the "regular" Yukon XL? Funny how the eyes can play tricks on us when we want to see something else. I f anyone else has data comparing the 53.L XL to the 6.0L DXL, I am interested.

Dave

• blackmagic1blackmagic1 Member Posts: 10
    Munch, I had the same information when I was debating the extra $ for the Denali. The 0-60 is the same or faster in the YXL. However, it wasn't until I had a chance to hook my 5,000lb. boat to the hitch of both and climb a hill, was the difference evident: Torque. The heavier transmission in the Denali and larger brakes for stopping with a load could only be compared to the 3/4 ton YXL.

Since this is also a daily driver for me (and others), comfort was of utmost concern. The 3/4 ton cannot be had with the autoride. If towing is not of concern and quick starts is a priority, the 5.3 YXL would be a more economical choice.

And, try to shift into 4-wheel once the two rear wheels have spun on a gravel boat ramp with a boat and trailer attached. Advantage AWD.

Everyone must evaluate their own needs before deciding if it is worth the extra for the Deanli. 0-60 unloaded is just one factor.
    I am looking at all the different brake controllers out on the market, and I was looking for some experienced users of the Hayes Lemmerz Micro Control unit. It has been replaced by the Energize XPC, and they can both be used with a remote push button control.

I want a brake controller that can be mounted "way" out of the way, and then mount a small remote trigger somewhere convenient.

I would appreciate any opinions from someone who has shopped around, or users of the above mentioned unit.

Thanks, Dave
  • mbclk430mbclk430 Member Posts: 58
    I found my receipt. I purchased the emblem from Hunter's Custom Automotive INC. in Nashville..........tle# 1-800-251-3548.......price delivered: $62.79.
  • cjwellscjwells Member Posts: 20
    My wife and I are interested in any info on the 2002 Yukon Denali. Like what new option packages, paint colors, etc. We came close to ordering the 2002 Envoy. Needless to say we are glad we did not order one. Depending on how well GM does with this recall and with satisfying the customers, will determine if we are still interested in a GM product at all. Thanks for any info on this matter.
  • larry91larry91 Member Posts: 189
    Does anybody know if the "Wood Trim" on the dash of the Denali is real wood or just plastic? When i purchased mine, the salesman told me it was wood, I have my doubts, i think it's plastic. Can anyone help me out on this one?
    Also, does anyone know of an aftermarket sunroof from this manufacturer, Webasco Hollandia? How does it compare to the ASC roof?
    Thanks
  • jkpsarasjkpsaras Member Posts: 29
    My 2001 Denali came with 42psi in the tires (and with a Firestone spare.) Dealer said this is to reduce bouncing during shipment. I'm now trying 34psi front and 30psi rear. What have others tried?

Is is possible that only the standard 16" wheel will fit under the vehicle?
  • carshopping4carshopping4 Member Posts: 7
    I had a rosen system installed in my rig w/ a sunroof. the rosen screen flips down with its hing side near the sunroof. this way it's not too far back so the 2nd row passengers can see it well. the 3rd row also has a good view. the system comes coomplete w/ screen, vcp w/ additional input for games, tv tuner & antenna, 2 sets wireless headphones, wireless remote. it was a little more costly $1895 installed. but it's great!
  • jgmilbergjgmilberg Member Posts: 872
    Did you gat the sunroof from the factory, or aftermarket? Factory does not have rear a/c & heat controls rear of the sunroof. Heatwave's is aftermarket and is from ASC, so he has the rear a/c pod behind the sunroof, and that would push his video equipment back closer to the 2nd row passengers.

How big is the screen on the system you bought?
  • fellersfellers Member Posts: 18
    MBCLK430,

When you installed your Billet emblem, did you pop off the plastic radiator cover? Also, did you install any rubber bushings so as not to scratch the beautiful grill? I ordered the emblem and have not installed yet. Just wondering...
    Safe 1 or others,

Any resolution from the dealer on this issue? I have a 2001 Yukon XL Denali and while the 4 corners have the 17" Michelin, the Spare is the 16" Firestone. Seems like a joke and will cost me money when I replace the tires as I usually take the Spare and only buy 3 tires. Not to mention if I have a flat, the inconvenienc of one tire at 16" and the others at 17".
    Jjorensen:

Did I infer correctly that you have more than one skid plate on your Denali? If so, where did you get them and where do you have them installed? Are their mounting holes in place? I have always had skid plates on my SUV's but it was not offered on the Denali? Thanks.
    Ok, too many of you guys don't know how to calculate tire height... So here is the lesson (again).

2x(sidewall height) + rim diameter = tire diameter

Michelin P265/70R17
    2(26.5cm x 0.70) + 17in x 2.54cm/in = 80.28cm

Firestone P265/75R16
    2(26.5cm x 0.75) + 16in x 2.54cm/in = 80.39cm

Therefore the spare is 0.11cm (0.0433in)taller than your Denali Wheel and Michelin tire!

Ok, you are out the price of 1 tire to rotate into the others. Hey how did you afford the vehicle in the first place. Long story short, it will be hard to convince the dealer that the spare is the "wrong" size.

Dave
  • jorgensenjorgensen Member Posts: 5
    My Denali came with a skid plate which covered the front half of the transmission and oil pan, I added the second skid plate to cover the back of the tranmission. I have some fairly treachous rocky inclines to get thur on my cattle ranch and didn"t want to lose the casing on rocks. My dealer ordered and installed the plate around $125 total. The AWD performs great offroad. I don't think the firestone spare is that big of a deal, but I would have been happyer with tires that matched. I do some pretty heavy towing, can anyone tell me if you can damage the vehical under a heavy load if you have to use the spare? An eariler posting calculated the rotation differences and It didn't appear to agree with Daves figures, but I'm no engineer.
  • safe1safe1 Member Posts: 16
    fellers:

I'm still awaiting a build date for my Denali so I'll wait and see if the spare is indeed a Firestone. However, in a recently discussion with my dealer rep on this topic, he did indicate that "something" could be worked out if so equipped. Sounds promising but.... Will post when the truck is delivered.
    No, I didn't pop off the radiator cover, nor did I use rubber bushings. The emblem comes with four double ended screws, four metal wahsers,and four locking nuts. If you look closely at the emblem housing you'll notice that there is a black plastic casing (the casing is mounted on the grill, the emblem is mounted on the casing). When I received the emblem in the mail I didn't think it would fit, but it did. It took about 10 minutes to install. Good luck!
  • lambdaprolambdapro Member Posts: 51
    Be careful with a 2001 Denali if you are taking four friends and towing. The Denali only has a 933 pound payload. This explains why it can't have a front bench seat or a third seat. Plus, it can't tow a medium motor boat and seat five full size adults without overloading the vehicle. Wait for the 2002 Denali. If it is like the Cadillac Escalade, it will be improved up to a more reasonable 1450 pound payload. For comparison purposes, a 4WD Yukon SLT would have a better 1680 pound payload.
  • heatwave3heatwave3 Member Posts: 462
    Not sure where lambdapro is getting his info but the GMC site has the 2001 Denali and Denali XL with a 1510lb payload.
  • lambdaprolambdapro Member Posts: 51
    Here is the link that I used for the information.
    www.associatesfleet.com/2001guide-util.pdf
    But I agree with heatwave3 that this site must have bad information. It must have been for an older model. The current ratings are as heatwave3 states.
    Does anybody know if the "Wood Trim" on the Denali is plastic or real wood. My salesman told me it was wood, I have my doubts. I don't think he would lie about that, but i do believe he was misinformed.
    Also, sunroofs, ASC vs Webasto Hollandia, any of you know about these roofs and quality of each.
    Thanks
  • bkosaianhbkosaianh Member Posts: 17
    The wood trim is definetly not wood its plastic. I removed the large dashboard piece to install a relay and it is molded to the metallic like silver dashboard. Sorry to give you the bad news.
    It's plastic, buddy.
    I talked to the dealer about the 16" spare issue on the Denali and it took him by surprise, apparently. He called the GMC Technical Hotline and they told him that it is "intended to be 16" and for temporary use only." Obviously, this GM response is a bunch of bunk but that is what GM is saying. I don't like it but what are you gonna do? Anyone have any other success in getting it replaced?
  • don4341don4341 Member Posts: 69
    On Helminc.com they now show the GMT01CK8 Manual as available.
    Land line for Helm = (800)782 4356
    Fax = (313)865-5927
    This is IRV. - Don`s brother.
    Good health to all.
    Price = $120.00
    Ship Charge = About $6.00
  • waitingonyukonwaitingonyukon Member Posts: 28
    I took delivery of a 2001 Denali with all four tires at 42psi. I talked with Michelin and they told me to use the psi stated on the door, which is 30psi for all four. The tires "look" very low when I do this. What are the rest of you using?
  • don4341don4341 Member Posts: 69
    Sorry I thought it was still $6.00.
    Irv.
    Thanks, Plastic, just as I thought. I will have to inform my salesman tomorrow of his error..
    U would think for what we spent on these vehicles, it should be WOOD, ah well, such is life
    I'm running 31psi rear and 34psi front.
  • heatwave3heatwave3 Member Posts: 462
    larry91: A little late in my response but I own a 2001 Denali XL. The trim is absolutely, undeniable plastic. In fact, its really just a continuation of the rest of the plastic dash trim. Not awful, but it should have been real wood and I will be adding a wood trim kit.

I also installed the ASC sunroof aftermarket through the dealer. The same sunrof as factory with much better controller. You get to have rear climate control and one touch close and auto-close on the sunroof once the engine is off, neither feature is available from factory. You won't be disappointed as the auto-close feature can't be beat.
  • waitingonyukonwaitingonyukon Member Posts: 28
    Thank you for your response. What is the benefit of running higher in the front?
    Thanks for the information, I appreciate it..
    I too had the same question a few weeks back (mines was delivered with 42 psi all around). I took them down to 30 and the tires appeared "too" flat as you stated. I aam now running 34 all around. I believe the benefit of running higher psi in fornt is to account for the disposition (heavier weight in front due to engine) of the vehicle. the higher psi compensates for heavier fornt, lower psi in rear for lighter rear vehicle weight.
  • araftcoaraftco Member Posts: 23
    Has anyone added a chip or any other type of after market power adder?
    My DenaliXL came with 40lbs in 3 tires and 42 in the 4th. I reduced all to 32. Of course I am just guessing and the dealer had not a clue, they didn't even know that condition existed. Apparently no one checks the tire pressure.. I hope they check the oil level.
    Oh Well!
    Look at your tires to observe the tire wear at the shoulder(edge where the sidewall transitions to the treads) of the tire. If the tire wear is spilling over the edge onto the sidewalss, add air. If the tire wear isn't out to the edge, lower the pressure. I found that 34psi front and 31psi rear, results in the tire wearing right at the edge. If I loaded the back with a heavy load, I'd increase the rear tire pressure for that trip.
  • whattaboutbobwhattaboutbob Member Posts: 4
    I saw a 10.4" flip down LSD Monitor, which incorporated the rear air controls. It was on a Yukon conversion, but I have confirmed via telephone that the system was available on Denali's (including AL) as well. The pod is color matched, and appears factory. You can see an example at www.electronics-pluz.com --press the Auto IQ / Car TV button on the right menu. Scroll to the Mobile Vision TV Console hypertext, and you will find the M compatible 10.4" screen near the bottom. There is NOT a picture of the Rear Air controls on this web site, but I have seen it, and it looks great. I was quoted $1,890 installed for this system, with VIP and Video Game inputs. (From a conversion shop in Houston, TX) Hope this helps. . .
    Make that an L "C" D monitor, NOT L "S" D.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I kinda wondered why you wanted a limited slip differential in your monitor :-)

Remember that you can go back and edit your messages within 30 minutes of posting.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    I was not aware of that fact. . . I was actually a victim of the autocorrect function on the spell checker.
  • trailhoundtrailhound Member Posts: 3
    For anyone that uses a Motorola StarTac cell phone I just got done installing their NEW kit model number S6965B. This model uses a thinner base station for the cradle. I installed it in the unusable top portion of the armrest console. It fits perfectly! Great vision and it can be closed so that its not an eye sore on your dash (not saying that the fake wood trim looks any better). All wiring fits thru the rubber grommet and I only had to drill one more hole for the wiring in the lower portion of the console. Still researching the A/V so I'll keep everyone posted. I have spent some time looking at www. stillen.com for what they have been using.

Curt
  • rbenavidesrbenavides Member Posts: 10
    Help. Need some experienced feedback. Situation is the 2 of us+ 2 teenagers+ towing boat. Both D and DXL will tow boat comfortably, so that is not an issue. One of us likes the 2nd row buckets on the std D, the other the bench. Reasoning for the bench is that it will seat 5 and give luggage room w/o 3rd row. Reasoning on the buckets is that it's far easier to get into 3rd row. Flipping 2nd row split seat up and down might 'wear' it out. One of us pushed for the DXL saying manueverabilty was not too different from std D. The other countered that it was far more cumbersome to manuever in city--traffic, parking, etc.
    After reading your post, my suggestion would be to purchase the DXL with the bench seat. The difference in city driving between the two are not that different (DXL is 18 inches longer) and to access the third row you just press a lever and push the second row seat forward (as oppose to folding the seat in the Denali). Luggage capacity is greater in the DXL (no need to even fold the third row during most trips). The DXL is very easy to manuver and park. One thing I wished is that the bench seat reclined (it does in the Denali, but not in the DXL.......go figure). All that said, I'm working on acquiring the buckets so that I can have true versatility. The bench and buckets are bolted to the frame ustilizing the same holes..............just having trouble finding the buckets..........may have to try the junk yards. Besides that, I love my DXL and so does mostly everyone who sees it!..........lol
    My wife and I took delivery on our '01 Denali yesterday and the dealer made good on the Firestone to Michelin exchange. Of course this didn't happen without the usual dickering but it happened nonetheless. This vehicle is sweet to drive, considering we came out of a '99 Denali which we thought was and still is a super vehicle.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    I'm assuming you're leasing. What is the difference in the monthly payments? thanks
  • ccpd400ccpd400 Member Posts: 12
    Traded a 93 MC suburban for a 01DXL and LOVE it but it has a wind noise from the windshield that sounds like you are in a convertible. Anyone else with this problem. Dealer repealed windshield without resolution. When I wrote this on the new car survey, got a letter from a UAW re at the factory. Started a claim I/ cuts service and it goes back in tomorrow. Also has a HOWL from front end/ transfer case. dealer added an " additive" with no help. Is this an isolated problem with this truck. Read every post on this site and did not see it posted. Thanks
    This was not a lease so I can't help you re: monthly payments. I should add that the vehicle came with the polished bright wheels, not the dull wheels as standard through January '01. Did everyone get a free trial 30 minutes, 30 days cell phone service with your OnStar package? We did and I was not aware that it was an available perk with vehicle purchase.
    To ccpd400: We experienced the "howling" noise in our '99 Denali and assumed it to be driveline related. However,as time went on I found it to be wind noise from the body. It would start at ~40 mph and was constant at any speed. Early into my complaint, a GM engineer placed noise and vibration monitors inside the engine compartment and I was told there was nothing unusual mechanically causing the "howling". As annoying as it was,I just lived with it.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    thanks for the response. I have a '00 Denali on lease till early 2003. It doesn't have that wind noise. Did have a rumble at 25-30 but was fixed by replacing all the Firestones with Michelins. Can't believe GM has Firestones on a vehicle that costs this much.
    Has anybody heard anything about the new 2002 Denali? I can't imagine them making any radical changes, but I am always interested in what's new.
    It would be a real nice touch if they made the second row seats adjustable.
    I agree with Larry91. The 2nd row seats should at least recline and perhaps move forward and back. But, definately recline......the Denali (short version) 2nd row seats recline....not very much.......but they recline nevertheless. Third row seats could recline too...........along with the nice foot well there, reclining third row seats would make that ride back there a little more pleasurable.