Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Matrix Tire/Wheel Questions

Comments

• calinmdcalinmd Member Posts: 7
    Rocky, so glad you came back to this discussion. It was your original post that tipped me off to the issue in the first place.

Do you remember which Moog model camber bolts you purchased? I just ordered the Moog # K929; they also have another model that looks a little different, but it still is supposed to fit the Matrix.

Here are the two Moog models I've found: # K929 and # K90477.

I'm guessing that either one would work; I just went with the K929 since it promised a little more adjustment room (and also because you mentioned "MagnaCam" in a previous post, and that is used in the description of the K929 I've seen at online vendors)

I had no illusions that I'd go to Toyota about this...I gathered from all the posts that they weren't going to own up to it, so I knew I was on my own. That's why it's nice to have forums like this; I feel I have a shot at getting it fixed, thanks to posts like yours.

Take care, and thanks!
    Excellent! Thanks, that's it exactly....our posts crossed!
  • elementaldesigelementaldesig Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Matrix with 26500 on it with shot tires. I usually get an extra 10-20K on my tires. I have had problems with gas mileage, noise and transmission fliud. Turns out that the computer program is bad and they flipped out the computer but I had to pay for the early oil flush and the transmission flush (550)and now the tires (another 500).

The Corrollas and Matrix are known to have bad computers but I had to go to a different dealer to get it replace the original one wouldn't. They had the computer on hand and told me they are changing alot of them. If a dealer is stocking a 2000 part it is a major issue but Toyota is not doing a recall. If your transmission is not functioning properly tire wear increases.
  • tamedskertamedsker Member Posts: 6
    Well, Toyota had our Matrix for 2 days. They DID install a shim and adjustment kit for the rear end. They DID bring the car into factory spec alignment. They DID NOT replace the tires. They DID NOT charge or attempt to charge us for the repairs or the loner vehicle. The car now runs straight, smooth, and using a lot less fuel! We took a trip today that we make frequently, that until now used a 1/4 tank of gas with out using the A/C. Today it took 1/8 tank, and we had the A/C on for 1/2 of it. The car now handles like the 2007 Corolla that they gave us as a loaner! The secret? Contact an attorney who works with breach of warranty claims. We did. We haven't checked, but we think he contacted the dealer, because their attitudes turned 180 degrees, and they were tripping over themselves to get the repairs correct. For all of you who are frustrated by this problem, DO NOT GIVE UP! Be prepared to take it to the next level, as this seems to help. If you do not get satisfaction, TAKE IT TO THE NEXT LEVEL! Good luck to all!
    Great news, tamedsker. Congrats!

It seems for some the front is the problem, and for you, the rear! Wish the problem was more consistent! Be easier to fix then.

Enjoy your new car! :)
  • marcin1marcin1 Member Posts: 3
    Seems it is a design flaw with Matrix/Vibe. I have V-rated Pirelli-7, got them for my tire guy for 1/2 price $100/shoot (otherwise they are way too expensive), what a F%n waste of a tire.
    The only thing that happened to me was that the noise did not come as fast as for most..., but it did:(

It’s an annoying humming noise that starts at 20mph and continues in to high-speed, when it gets a bit drowned out by other hwy noise.

At first I thought it maybe wheel bearing I changed both no change, it’s not the differential as that noise stops with no load...
    I see that every one is having the same problem.
    What's going on with Toyota...
    I think that the problem is with the 205 tire size, WHY WHY WHY 3-series BMW tire width size for a Corolla??? What idiot decided that?

I bet that regular corollas don't have this problem...
    Marcin
  • cmediccmedic Member Posts: 1
    Everyone who has a problem with tires wearing prematurely need to make a complaint with the federal government. the link is below. If enough complaints are filed then the feds will force toyota to make a recall and correct the situation.
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/#vehicles
    If you are having problem file a complaint numbers do count!
    Even though my problem seems to have been fixed, it is still important to file the complaint. Maybe this will stop the tire problem from affecting anyone else. Maybe, the government will force Toyota to re-imburse all those for the ruined tires!
  • ashana3ashana3 Member Posts: 1
    I was going to buy a 2005 Matrix that I saw today but after reading this thread I have decided not to buy the car. When I saw the car today the people told me they had rotated the tires. I happened to notice some unusual wear on the front tires which means these had been in the back. This vehicle is a fwd but I don't trust the car. I love Toyotas, had always bought them but after reading all the complaints I have changed my mind. Why buy a high priced headache. :P
  • sgraciesgracie Member Posts: 7
    I'm having the same problem as Remaxmarty. My car has 27,000 miles on it, and just recently, I noticed a regular, repeated tire noise, beyond the noise the tires have always made. The next day I took the car to the tire dealership, and asked them to check the pressure and look for a bubble or somethng on the tread that might be making the noise. Turns out all four tires are worn evenly on the inside rim. The tire guy blamed poor alignment and suggested I buy new tires in the spring when I take the studded winter tires off.This wear apparently happened since April when I had the studs taken off.
    I have since talked to the service manage at the car dealership. Not much help there.
    Then I called the 800-3311-4331 Toyota number and filed a case with them. The tire guy is going to put the car on a lift tomorrow and give me a printout of whatever the laser alighment thing says is going on. I'll take that to the dealer, who is 2 hours plus from here. Any suggestions for success? I don't think the government is the answer.
    I live in Washington state and bought the car at Town Toyota in Wenatchee.
    I hadn't read your message when I posted mine today and am particularly interested in what you've done. Did you find satisfaction anywhere.
  • tygetyge Member Posts: 1
    hello S.G. you spoke with one of my service advisors today about a tire concern. we recommended the 800 # because of the lack of history and information on your vehicle.I understand it is a long drive but we would need to look at the vehicle before we can authorize any repairs under warranty. if we can get it covered for you we will. any new vehicle purchase is a joint venture between the owner and the servicing dealership-thats why they have an owners manual to help the customer keep up on the sometimes confusing maintenance schedule.-the manufacturer knows the most cost effective way to keep your vehicle in tip top condition.
  • 124spider124spider Member Posts: 5
    I have an 08 matrix with 14,600 miles on it. I bought it certified at 10500 miles and began to notice a pretty constant leftward drift at highway speeds from the get go. Last weekend was the third visit to the dealer (first two, at another dealer, thrid at the deler I bought it from).

Alignment specs are all within spec, but not perfectly symmetrical. They tried to tweak the toe a bit but it is still drifting. Not sure if the Moog camber bolts would help or what....or pehaps shims in the rear.

I HAVE NOT noticed tire wear....but for all I know, they put new tires on it before they put it for sale....they look pretty newish. At any rate...I am now wondering if this car was a big mistake....I love it but for this drift. This is something I would expect from one of the many junkers I've driven over the years...not an $18K relatively newish Toyota. And it doesn't take a wild imagination to envision a scenario whereby the car drifts into the oncoming lane...or God forbid oncoming traffic.

Will be contacting the dealer again....service manager mentioned something about contacting someone further up the chain (regional/district rep, factory service tech??)

PS- we had the same issue on a low mileage (5000) certified corolla....it was fixed in two attempts...I recall the sm talking about longer camber bolts or something?

Signed...
    Losing faith in the Toyota Marque
    I'm taking my Matrix to Town Toyota in Wenatchee on Nov. 7. Service will include alighment and installation of a "camb kit" before putting on the studded winter tires. Doesn't change the fact that the Continentals on the car are worn out with fewer than 20 thousand miles.
    I filed a report at Toyota, which you can do by calling the 800 number in your sales or service papers. I intend to call them back to tell them that the cost of the new tires that I'll have to buy in the spring as well as the "camb kit" (I put this in quotes because I don't know what it does). The service mgr at my dealerl read my posting on Edmunds, and he found the kit would resolve the alignment problem. If the kit fixes it, it seems to me that Toyota should have a recall and put the kit on all the Matrixes.
    To sum up: file a report with Toyota; refer your dealer to Edmunds (send him the link to Matrix tire problems). Dealers need to know that we're not the only ones with this problem.
    Let me know what happens.
    Thanks S. Good Luck with this. Is the Camb Kit a Toyota thing or the aftermarket Moog kit mentioned (here?). If a toyota kit...can you get the part number of the invoice (and if not on there...have them right specifically what they used?) If they are going to use the Moog kit, I have that number. Thanks!
  • cujosthemancujostheman Member Posts: 1
    Hey Guys wondering if anyone has any information on the Cooper CS4 all season touring tire. I have an '07 Matrix FWD and am looking for a decent set of all season tires. Any information on these tires or any tire for that matter for my car would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Cujostheman
  • circuitsmithcircuitsmith Member Posts: 117
    Hi folks,

I was just censored on that other forum because I included a link to this thread in a discussion about Corolla tire problems.

Would I get censored on this forum for pointing to a discussion on "CarTalk"?
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Yes, I believe so. Fora in general don't like you linking to other fora. They want theirs to be the ONLY spot you post!

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• caliberchiccaliberchic Member Posts: 402
    It's in the membership agreement to not solicit or promote so yes posts with link backs are deleted unless the link is a direct relation to the topic and helps answer a specific question and isn't a general link back.
  • bark1bark1 Member Posts: 1
    I need snowtires for my '08 Matrix XR. It has 215 50R 17's on it - I've been quoted higher than average prices for that size tire, I'm told that it's a "specialty" size. Do I need that exact size in a snowtire, or will another size fit? I could use some feedback please, it's gettin' cold out there...
    I haven't looked at the membership agreement of that other group, but I was not soliciting or promoting. Also, the thread I linked to here was relevent to the thread over there. It all seems pretty arbitrary to me, especially in groups that allow alot of insults and irrelevent chit-chat.
  • caliberchiccaliberchic Member Posts: 402
    If it's specifically relevant and it's obvious it's not just a solicitation then we leave it be, and this forum doesn't allow the insults and try to keep posts OT. If you have a link to share that is helpful to a member who has a question please do post it. :)
  • scullersculler Member Posts: 4
    Just finished reading the long history of problems with Matrix tires. I am looking at an 09 AWD. The dealer offered lifetime tire replacement at no cost as long as I can show I have maintained according to specs. Sounds like they can't eliminate the problem so they are willing to chase after individual problems. It is making me rethink my decision to consider Matrix. The Subaru might be a better option to get my AWD. Is anyone who owns a Matrix 08 or 09 AWD happy with their car? I understand they are great in snow but there is more to owning a car than driving in snow.
    Wow! That sure is pretty strong evidence that they KNOW there is a problem that they can't solve! Of course...I am sure they are not going to give you Michelins or other top rated tire as replacement...but who cares!

My 08 XR is not awd...so I can't offer anything there....I do remember looking at the 09 AWD Matrix and the mpg steered me away. Perhaps if I could have found a super low mileage 08 AWD I would have gone that route (believe the earlier awd had the 1.8 sonce that was the only motor offered then besides the turbo'd xrs)

Good luck with you decision....(definetely give some other brands serious consideration, toyota is not what is was only a few short years ago)
  • sinistermindsinistermind Member Posts: 12
    The 2.4L is a must for AWD. The 1st generation AWD was terribly slow with 1.8. And there was never turbo XRS. It was naturally aspirated 1.8L with 170hp.
    and going strong, for my original equipment Goodyear Eagle RSAs, my Matrix is an '07 FWD. I am fairly sure now they will make 40K without a problem, still hoping for even more, and there is no uneven or unusual tire wear at all.

I rotate them every 10K miles, same as I have with every car I have ever had.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• scullersculler Member Posts: 4
    Thanks nippononly. Exactly the information I need exactly when I need it.
    You're welcome! :-)

• lc007lc007 Member Posts: 3
    I purchased a 2005 Matrix at the beginning of 2006, with 20,000 miles on it. The dealership had put new tires on it when I bought the car. I drove it till 54,000 miles and needed to replace the tires, now it has 70,000 miles and it needs tires again. I bought Pirelli's and made the tire shop take them off because of the rough ride, they put Mastercraft on it and I got 16,000 miles on them and they are wore to 4/32 already. I have read every article, but no one mentioned a brand tire other than Goodyear Eagles or the Yokohama that somewhat held up, how did the chamber kits installed help with tire wear? Is there a Toyota recall yet or any information I am not aware of? I am having Goodyear Eagles put on next week but the tire dealer said there is no mileage warranty on Goodyear's, is that crap?
    Any additional information would be appreciated.

lc
    The camber kits work! I am using a relative no-name tire (cant remember the brand right now) b ut I have had NO problems with tire wear after getting the kits installed. Toyota has never recalled the Matrix, nor have they admitted any flaw. And no, they have not paid for any of the tires that mine ate before the kits were installed. I wish you luck...
    Could you please forward the information on where do I order, what part number to order, cost, phone number, and can any shop install? I need to have tires asap installed and will have the kit installed, how many miles do you have on with the kit on? Did you need to have it realigned?
    Actually, there are several manufacturers, and you can get them from just about any full service reputable tire shop. In fact, I learned about the kits from my locally owned tire shop. Our kits have been installed for about 8 months now, and we have had no problems at all as far as alignment. I have about 10K miles on the kit, and I just had it inspected today, everything is still with in specs. Good luck!
    Are you willing to share, part number, manufacturer? I have asked half dozen creditable tire shops and a local toyota dealer, no one has ever heard of the kit.
    I live in Upstate NY, Rochester. It would be greatly appreciated if you could provide information for all Toyota owners to use. I am willing to provide my email or phone if necessary to get the information, I am in need of new tires and would like to have the kit installed to prevent futher tire expense. Thank you in advance and Merry Christmas.
    Check the info at message #155 (or so) of this thread. Those are the camber bolts I bought. I got them online at Rock Auto. A local auto parts place should be able to get them for you, too--Ask them for a camber kit for your model and year, and they should be able to find them. They were available locally for me, just cost a bit more, so I got mine online instead.
    I am having Goodyear Eagles put on next week but the tire dealer said there is no mileage warranty on Goodyear's, is that crap?

There is no mileage warranty on the Eagles because they are designed to be more of a performance tire, with better traction and handling than average. As a result, they are not a long-life tire - based on what I am seeing of mine, they will do about 40K miles, maybe 45K.

And I am now at 26K on mine (Eagle RSAs), no funny wear or other problems, fully expecting to get the 40-45K out of them. My Matrix is an '07 FWD.

• unclesalamiunclesalami Member Posts: 6
    I bought my 2005 Matrix new and replaced the Continental tires at 30,000 miles. I replaced them with Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S tires from Costco. Michelin lists them as All-Season Ultra-High Performance, rated 400/A/A . I was sure I wanted Michelins since I'm doing about 25K per year and researched different tires on Michelin.com, after I saw what I could order from Costco.com. I knew nothing about the tires before and no one had recommended them to me. I just liked what I read when comparing them and the price.

Costco does not keep them in stock, but you can order them or other Michelin or BF Goodrich tires to be delivered to your warehouse location free of charge. I just saw that Costco is featuring the newest version of my tire called Plus for the same price I paid. Costco runs rebates of $60 or $80 from time to time on Michelin, and with my $60 rebate, I paid about $450 out the door when I bought them. Something else to know about Costco is that you can't use a credit card in the warehouse, other than AX, but ordering online, you can.

Just turned 84,000 miles and still have plenty of tread left. I will easily make another 10K or maybe to 100,000 on this set. That means that I will get between 64,000 and 70,000 miles on them. They have a 45,000 mile warranty! You bet I'm happy!

I am an older driver, so I'm not driving them crazy, and I do drive plenty of highway miles. But I'm not a slow driver either, and I'm zipping in and out of traffic driving in San Diego, Orange an LA Counties usually at 75-80 mph. The tires perform very well on the Matrix and high speed maneuvering if great. I rotate and balance them every 5000-6000 (free at Costco). I aligned the wheels when I got the new tires, and that's it.

It will be interesting to see what I get, and you can bet I'll be buying another set. :)
  • jfsledgejfsledge Member Posts: 1
    Rocky,

I just purchased an '06 Matrix with AWD. It definitely has abnormal wear on the outside edge of the front left tire. I think the camber kit might help.

I wanted to see if you still conclude that the kit is working on your Matrix, after a few more months.

regards,
    John
    You DO realize that a car that is over 3 years old could just have a regular old boring, run-of-the-mill alignment problem? Plenty of opportunities in that amount of time for the former owner to run up a curb or hit some nasty potholes the wrong way.

• thoughthough Member Posts: 7
    will these K929 camber bolts work with my 2006 matrix xr? i just bought it on sunday and noticed that the tires were shot. found 2 nails in them too, so it's REALLY time. all 4 tires are wore out on the inside of each tire and the car pulls pretty badly to the right. i figured i would get the K929 installed, aligned, and new tires. do i just need 1 set of 2 bolts??

thanks for all the info. guys!
  • rocky101rocky101 Member Posts: 7
    Hi,

Regarding my install of camber bolts and results, the tire wear is very even on all 4 tires, which were rotated per schedule. I originally installed the camber bolts and aligned the front, leaving the rear alone. Probably should have done a 4 wheel alignment, but the manufacturer should have aligned the thing to last more than 12,000 miles!
    I just went through the set of Yokohama Avid (60,000 Mile warranty) in just about 30,000 miles. A little disappointing considering how it is driven, mostly highway. But, no more noise, vibration and pull. No difference in the mpg either. I was glad that I installed the kit.

Rocky
    rocky,

i don't know much about suspension, camber kits, alignment, etc. i need to get some camber bolts for my 06 matrix. how many do i need? 1 for each tire, 4 total? 1 for each front tire, 2 total, or ??? i want to get these and have it done soon...

thanks in advance.
    Town Toyota installed a Camber Adjustment kit K929 MOOG on my 2006 Matrix. I let them discard my old worn-out Continentals and put on the winter studs. Town's service manager acknowledged no problem with the Matrix and tire wear. He has read the forums. The problem was that not enough of us filed with Toyota about the problem. There are probably thousands of people out there who never brought the problem to the attention of the company. My old tires probably had 18,000 miles on them as I put on studs from October through April.
    While my car was in the shop I looked around the showroom and the 2009 model Matrix. A salesman snagged me. Long story short, I traded my 2006 in on a new 2009 with siped (sp) Goodyear Eagle tires on it. I financed at zero percent; Toyota paid off every penny of my old balance (about 14,000), so I also saved the interest I would have paid over the next few years. My old AWD car had 29000 miles on it. It was clean and the buyers really wanted it.
    I have the warranty pamphlet for the Eagles in front of me.I intend to have them rotated every 6000 miles or six months. There is no "mileage" guarantee, but there is a "wear" guarantee that will replace the tires free if the wear reaches a certain point in the first year. After the first year, there's a six-year prorated replacement guarantee.
    I don't like the color as much as my old car, and I have cheap plastic hubcaps, but the car has more pep and is handling beautifully, without studs, on the snow and ice.
    I solved my problem by trading for a new car. I hope that the tire problems won't recur in the 2009 model.
    sgracie
  • DON__FLORIDADON__FLORIDA Member Posts: 14
    I have an 09 Matrix with 7,000 miles. I have not experiemced any unever wear yet. But the car does not ride well. I feel every little bump. My friend said the tires that came with car are not the best I would get a better ride with better tires. The car came with Bridgestone Turanza P215/45R17 tires. I had them rotated at 5,000. I am not a tire expert so any advice would be appreciated. Would another brand help the ride quality or maybe it is not the tires? It appears Michelin might have been a better choice. I love the car but do not like feeling every bump in the road.
    The Matrix is a moderately small light car, designed to be a little bit "sporty". As such, there will be compromises as to ride comfort. What car are you coming out of? Many midsize and large cars are optimized for ride comfort as a top priority, and you would be bound to notice the less-smooth ride of the Matrix by contrast.

• DON__FLORIDADON__FLORIDA Member Posts: 14
    You may be right. I also have a 2002 VW Passat and the ride comfort is moch better. I am looking forward to seeing the Venza.
    I also have a 2002 VW Passat and the ride comfort is moch better

Just as I would expect it to be. Nice car, but certainly heavier than a Matrix by several hundred pounds, and designed to optimize ride comfort.

I bought the K929 camb kit and gave it along with my car to my uncle. he is the engine instructor at a local college and they have an alignment machine there. this was the printout that he gave me when he gave me the car back.

any thought on the data??

http://rumbles.com/align.pdf
    Though:

The alignment is much better but not perfect.

While the individual toe #'s in the rear are off a little the total toe is in spec. The rear of the car will be slightly shifted (dog track), not enough to see or worry about IMHO.

http://www.aa1car.com/align.htm
    ok, thanks for the reply! i will run these tires for a bit longer then pony up for some new ones. it definitely handles better now and doesn't pull to either side anymore (unless there are strong winds or the road is weird!)
  • herzogtum71herzogtum71 Member Posts: 470
    2003 AWD Matrix. 64K on the odometer. Dealer says the tires (and their tread) will pass inspection in August. Running on Goodyear Eagles, which came from the factory, but tire replacement history is a bit different than normal:

* August 2005 at 27K had to replace 2 tires because the driver's side rear tire had a chunk out of the sidewall. Dealer put the new tires on the rear after telling me they would go on the front with the existing front tires moved to the rear. Two days later they switched the new ones to the front at no charge. Recommended against rotating tires; said good tires should remain on the front until tread wear was relatively even.

* August 2007 at 43K needed 2 new tires again because the two remaining factory tires were worn to the point they wouldn't pass inspection. New tires again put on front.

* Tires were then not rotated again until last week. They had planned to do so at 60K in January 2009 but decided not to because they said one of the rear tires was showing 'minor cupping.' You could definitely hear the rumbling road noise at higher speeds coming from the rear.

* They told me when I checked in last week at 64K that they wouldn't rotate the tires, but then they did. Said the technician this time felt they could be rotated. Now the rumbling noise is definitely coming from the front, but it is most noticeable between 15 and 30 or 35 mph.

My wife drives the care much more than I do. She thinks we shouldn't buying new tires until it becomes a tread issue. Questions:

(1) Assuming it is the tire and not the alignment, is cupping of one tire really not a safety issue if the tread depth is good?

(2) I have had better luck in the past with Yokohama tires than any other brand as far as grip, ride, noise level, and wear. Does anyone have a suggestion other than Yokohama in the same price range?

Thanks.