Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Yukon / Yukon Denali

Comments

• obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    the yukon doesn't even offer the trip odometer as an option? I could have sworn that there is one when I test drove it. There's a little button in between the tach and speedo. When pressed, it changes from odometer to trip odometer...hold the button in for a few seconds and it will reset the trip odometer. Or was that on my silverado? No...I think that they are that way on both...
  • joelisjoelis Member Posts: 315
    I think he means the extra display that gives you MPG, Miles to Empty, etc.
    Ah yes, the thing that changes with your driving habits and come on most GM cars...thank you for clarifying, I can rest easier now... ;)
    when he posted that question. You should see the response he got in the Yukon topic when asking about it...eeeh!! they can be so cruel at times...
    Don't even get me started on that topic...
    LOL
  • cwmartincwmartin Member Posts: 89
    I have added 4 technical drawings about the 2001 Denali, that GM supplied to me, to the photos page at my web site. http://suv.s5.com/photos.htm
    They look familiar, wait a minute, they are mine. I took them at the Minneapolis Auto Show this spring.

I didn't know you have stuff on your website from "jerks" like me.
  • buttabutta Member Posts: 44
    I had the "privilege" of seeing the 2002 Escalade
    earlier this week. All I can say is that that thing is one bizarre looking SUV. Caddy has gone way the far with there new EVOQ inspired styling. Why they would completely disregard the muscular, forceful styling of the current Escalade to replace it with what looks like a bolt on grill from a Mad Max movie?

With the exception of the front, and a few minor
    styling details its still a Denali/Yukon. The only
    interior difference I could see was a "really
    useful" analog clock in to lower dash array.

So, all of you waiting for this new luxo SUV to go
    on sale, had better seriously consider the new
    Denali (same improved mechanics, none of the
    horrific Caddy 21st century styling)unless you've got a pair of slick leather pants and go by the name Road Warrior!

--Butta
  • jimvetajimveta Member Posts: 96
    exactly what i was thinking butta! hehe..
    with aztek, evoq,.. i dunno what to make of gm's
    design except maybe they're big mad max fans
    I have a production pic of the '02 Escalade. If anyone is interested please email me. You can all judge for yourselves.

--Butta
    The following link is to a picture of the 2002 Cadillac Escalade (for those who care)
    http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/p/ap/20000818/bs/cadillac_new_models_h6n.html
    that you're being ignored....LMAO
    Caddy has finally released information on the new 2002 Escalade. You can see promo pics,specs and some other goodies. Have fun.

http://www.cadillac.com/escalade2002

--Butta
  • earlhearlh Member Posts: 3
    I would like to know why there is more publicly available info on the Escalade than on the Denali? If anyone knows of some sites besides clifford's that has info on the Denali please post it.
  • dtmmddtmmd Member Posts: 7
    Just spoke with OnStar. The new 2001 systems will have capability for voice -activated wireless phone service. Sample costs are about 28 cents/minute. All vehicles will be equipped, but availability depends on local area access.
  • larssunlarssun Member Posts: 14
    Just received the 2001 Denali brochure. Compared
    all options to Ford options. I though is was pretty well done. I just wish that they would have shown all the colors.
    Lars
    Since I have pretty much ruled out the new '02 Escalade (check of http://www.weick.com for pics).I wanted to get a hold of a brochure. My question is, did you get the full-blown model brochure or was it a pamphlet?

--Butta
  • jnicktjnickt Member Posts: 1
    I just checked out the cadillac site. Is the interior a joke? It looks just like the Denali with more wood trim. Removable third row seats? Where is the fold flat feature? GM has done it again, selling an item that is way behind the curve (check out the stats on the new Acura MDX) as the new standard. Where is the innovation? I will applaud the front end. Although not to my taste, it is at least unique from the Denali front end.
    I was a full-blown brochure, had everything except for colors. I am having a real problem
    selection color. I like the red my family doesn’t
    so it's between the Pewter Metallic or Polo Green Metallic. I don't like the brown/tan interior so
    the color got to go with the gray interior.
    Will be placing my order 1st of Sept for a Denali XL with moon rf and 2nd row bucket. If anyone
    has any color pic please post.
    Lars
    What city are you in? I went to my local GMC dealer and all I got was a 2001 brochure for the Yukon and Yukon XL. I was also able to read a GM memo on the '01 Denali. It says that the "official" brochure won't be out until Oct. Are you sure you have the 200l Denali brochure?

P.S. The base pricing for both SUV's will be $46,650 and $48,185 (a little steep for an SUV don't you think)

-- Butta
  • pahnke23pahnke23 Member Posts: 6
    I read this forum about once a week and to my surprise just about everybody on here is voting for the Yukon denali. Well just one question "Does the Yukon have Stabilitrak?"
    or better yet "What do you mean the Yukon Denali only has 330 horsepower?"
    Unfortunately, those of you that are backing the Yukon have not done the proper research into the Escalade. I will not deny that alot of the body is still the same as the Denali or for that matter the Tahoe. But when you get down to the actual Technologies that are in the Escalade I don't see any Luxury SUV coming anywhere close to the Fusion of Power and Technology.
    Many people who have purchased the old Denali are kind of like Lincoln Buyers. They see all the value in the car, but they just cannot afford to step all the way up to a Cadillac.
    My final words are " GOOD LUCK DENALI"
    or it could be that the Denali owners don't want to be associated with the anal retentive Escalade owners who paid $3k more for better leather..and the puke ugly headlights...

AND, I would take a Lincoln over a Caddy any day of the week. The Caddy drivers I've seen on the road lately seem on the quick path to senility. And speaking of Escalade, if you really want an SUV buy an LX470 not a Escalade...biggest joke of the 2001 lineup...
    I couldn't of said it better myself "obyone"!

Cadillac has gone over the top once again with the new Escalade. It may offer a few upgrades over the new Denali but is it worth it?
    The new Escalade will start at around $46,500 for the 2wd version (yes 2wd, 285hp), and top out very close to $50,000 (4wd, 330hp, loaded).

My question to you "pahnke23":

Is the Stabilitrak, so-called high end leather, and the "Fusion of Power and Technology" (whatever that means) worth the extra bucks?

Now, if that money tree in your backyard is bearing fruit, by all mean drop $50K on the Escalade. If your like the rest of us and work very hard for your money, compare the two SUV's and see which one is the better value

--Butta
  • mbml55amgmbml55amg Member Posts: 57
    I was somewhat torn between the Denali & Escalade the last 2 years, but with the "New Platform" vehicles it is no problem. I have always felt they were the best looking SUVs on the planet, bar none. In fact if they would have been available on the New Platform in '99 I possibly would have bought one instead of the '99 ML430, since traded for an '00 ML55. The Denali continues with the Best In Class looks it has always had, while the Escalade fails in an attempt to be bold, by simply being, ummm,..UGLY. But, the deciding for me is the Yukon will offer the Denali package on the XL, all I can say is: "It,s about time"! Offering the 6.0L V-8 in the 1/2 ton Denali is a stroke of brilliance as well, Denali buyers will not accept average performance, but will demand GMs best. Well done GMC, now build them with the excellent quality that we all believe you are capable of, & we will bust down the door to buy them. Good luck to all...
  • thor3thor3 Member Posts: 120
    Boy, I'm surprised of the sour comments. Personal choice has always been the rule in any purchase big or small! We also own an ML (430) but now need more room for our Great Pyrenees Dogs. The ML simply does not have the room for large dogs and cargo.

The Denali XL is a big rig but I'd rather have the drive and handling of the Cadillac with Stabilitrak. The Mercedes ML has the "ESP" feature that seems similar in purpose. This feature has been commented on many times on the ML boards on how ESP keeps the ML from loosing control in various conditions. I also like the higher HP and torque on the Cadillac. I think both Cadi and Denali have some of the same "American" build issues that I have become accustomed to on our American Built ML430 unfortunately!

I think it is personal preference and not necessarily price. I've asked GMC what price over invoice to pre-order Denali and they stated $1000 over Invoice. I asked Cadillac dealer the same and they stated $500 over Invoice. Once you add features such as Stabilitrak and the higher grade leather and perhaps the extra $$$ in design costs (even if you don't like it I'm sure it costs more to put the cadi front end on vs. the standard GMC).

I'm not sure if I like the look of the Cadi but the lights look like they will illuminate the road well : ) Let's face it, most American SUV's aren't lookers any way. Basically, big bread boxes with minor aerodynamic mods to attract the public but still provide the function of large cargo capacities. I do like the Lincoln Nav front end hood/grill more than any other American SUV. I also like the dash better in the Nav and the true digital electronic climate control. I hate the look of the Three knobs to set climate functions in GMC Trucks even with automatic climate control..Americans make cheap looking dashes and switches in my opinion.

Bottom line buy what you like and feel is important to you.

Cheers
    "most American SUV's aren't
    lookers any way. Basically, big bread boxes..."
    (hey, I resemble that comment).

You forgot to add IMO.

Because IMO, a lot of people would disagree with you. IMO, I like trucks, and I like the look of trucks. At least these suv's try to look like trucks. IMO, the MB ML series is a glorified station wagon with 4wd. (not a lot of room, and won't haul squat, IMO) But hey, you can't beat those 0 to 60 times right!

Sorry, just had to vent. These new wannabe mini suv's (MB BMW etc) make me sick.

But lets face it, not even half of these full size Denali's and Escalades will ever see Utility work anyway. (other than some golf clubs to the country club).

Oh yea, IMO.
    ROFLMAO!! Best post yet joelis. Other than golf clubs, baby strollers fit well too...
  • tccad1tccad1 Member Posts: 46
    As probably the only person who has actually sold both the denali and escalade on this board, I have my own opinions.

Yes, the escalade was 3 grand more for nicer leather and 4 emblems. However, you did get a year and 14,000 miles longer warranty. The lease program on it was better than the denali. If you are leasing it, they came out to about 25 bucks different per month. Now that the new ones are hitting the market you have a different scenario. IMHO (thanks for the reminder joelis!), the stabilitrac, the 345 (not 330) hp motor, the warranty, the leather, the etc.... will make it a breeze to sell the Cadillacs now. If I can just get over the look of the headlights now =). Of course, I said the same thing with the new deville... now I love it. Jeff
    Most folks in the market for an Escalade will easily be able to afford an Aztek to park next to it. This will guarantee that noone says anything bad about the Escalade's peculiar headlight treatment.
  • dole4dole4 Member Posts: 2
    I’m looking forward to purchasing a 2002 Cadillac Escalade in January of 2001. “in my opinion” the styling on the Cadillac is beautiful. The Cadillac does cost a little more than the GMC Denali, and I believe it is well worth it. Stabilitrac is an awesome safety feature. If you have ever put a Cadillac into a 4 wheel skid you will appreciate Stabilitrac, it can save your life by using traction control and ABS at the same time along with the electronic suspension to make sure the car/truck does not go into an uncontrollable spin. Stabilitrac also makes sure you power through corners in complete control as fast as possible, it is really an amazing system. The extra horsepower on the 4x4 version of the 2002 Escalade will be fun (6.0L 345HP the most any stock SUV comes with as of now, not to mention tons of torque).

Maybe the GMC owners don’t care about Stabilitrac, and laugh at the concept of Fusing Art & Technology. People like that probably drink orange soda, have tattoos, watch nascar races, and are white trash (joke).

Sure the Cadillac does not handle and accelerate as well as a v8 BMW X5 of Mercedes ML55 AMG. If you want a vehicle that accelerates fast and handles well you shouldn’t be looking at an SUV you should be looking at a sports car. The fastest SUVs performance is comparable to cheap cars. You should buy an SUV because of its record of safety, amount of luxuries, great visibility, and towing/hauling capacity.

I can’t wait to try out the Cadillac Evoq that comes out in 2002 as a 2003. The Evoq will be made at the Corvette plant, be on the Corvette frame, replace the current Eldorado, and be a much faster car than the Chevy Corvette is.

The word Cadillac is synonymous with best. This is because Cadillac’s are the best automobiles that come out of America. I just thought I’d mention this to the people on the board who have different “wrong” opinions about Cadillacs.
    I can see this board getting ugly in a hurry. lol
    Hey folks its the official propaganda writer for Cadillac. Does the position pay well or do they give you free car washes and oil changes for your '82 Eldorado?

Seriously, The styling of the Escalade is certainly different, maybe even Avant Guard. Who knows, the new sheet metal might even grow on ya (kinda like foot fungus or hair plugs).

My biggest problem is all of you "Escaladers" slamming the Denali in favor of Caddy's Stabilitrak. All the system boils down to is a safeguard for those of you who can't control your SUV to begin with (may I suggest a Volvo wagon instead).

Ok, I'm done venting. Now I've gotta go get an orange soda pop and catch a NASCAR race while Billie Ray puts another tattoo of my mobile home on my chest. OUT!

-- Butta
    The Evoq will never be faster than the Corvette, you are dreaming on that. And, I have no problem with the fusion of art with technology, I even applaud it, I am simply confused as to why Cadillac chose a Picasso as the pattern for the new Escalade.
    "butta" I quote you: "All the system boils down to is a safeguard for those of you who can't control your SUV to begin with."

I hope you read this and see how stupid this sounds... are you telling us that you can "control" your vehicle better than this technology in a spur of the moment maneuver? Even pro racers can't. In many instances your brain will not work dependably and fast enough under these maneuvers. Certainly there is no way You can decide which brake circuit to apply hydraulic pressure to correct in such instances.

Denali and the complete GMC truck line will soon have this feature anyway. Cadillac is getting it 1st probably as a marketing ploy to attract more buyers. I suppose you will try to disconnect on your next GMC purchase!

You should join a Cadillac Slamming Forum and post there....I'm sure you probably already do.

I may very well buy a GMC Yukon XL to get the awesome 8.1L engine option which I favor over a deluxe interior Denali or Cadillac Escalade. I'm torn between the 4WD systems though and would rather have the Full Time AWD Denali or Cadillac systems over the Part Time system in the Yukon line. In my opinion, the fact that all 4 wheels have torque vs. having to transfer from rear axle to front once slippage is detected is far superior. Once again, this AWD technology will filter down the complete line eventually. Perhaps with a low gear function standard on some models..which I think Cadillac should have included with their offering. Knowing that most GMC drivers never take their SUV's offroading, especially the Cadillac/Denali owners, it was not opted for. For those who do the lack of a low range will be a significant shortcoming.
  • dole4dole4 Member Posts: 2
    I read that the stabilitrac will be on Denalis probably in 2003. I would bet the Cadillac will have something new by then to set it apart from the Denalis, possibly a TV for people in the back like the current Caddy Escalade has.

I think stabilitrac is a worthwhile safety feature like ABS. Some people think that they can break better without ABS, maybe on snow in some cases they can, but 99% of the time ABS is better. I would assume that 99% of the time stabilitrac is better than a normal suspension. Mercedes turn off when the go into 4 wheel skids. I don’t think that’s safe at all.

I read that the intake and exhaust manifold on the 2002 Denali and Escalade is off of the Vette, very cool.

The point about the Evoq being slower than a Vette is a good one. The $900k Evoq prototype has a write up in popular mechanics. Its horsepower and torque will be a lot higher than the Vette because of its turbo Northstar that gives off 400+ HP, but the automatic transmission and its weight might hurt its performance.

I don’t work for Cadillac. I’ve just had great service and cars from Cadillac and I feel I owe it to them to put in a good word.
    The Stabilitrak is a good safety feature; I'm not going to debate that. But, it is still designed to maintain control of the vehicle in the event the driver loses control.
    And I quote: " Stabilitrak helps keep you in control in sudden maneuvers". Lets not forget, this is a 2 ton + "truck", it should not be driven like sports or F1 racecar to begin with.

My beef is with those "Escaladers" that use the feature to slam the new Denali. Any feature that adds to your safety and control should be a gimme not a selling point.

Compare looks to looks, power & performance to power & performance; amenities to amenities then tell me which one offers the better value.

If you want to drive and Escalade then go right on ahead, I hope the Stabilitrak is worth the extra 2K-3K you've paid. Maybe I'll wait until '02 and get a Denali with standard Stabilitrak! OUT again

--Butta
    I hope everyone understands that my posts are written all in fun. I respect everyone’s opinion as I hope they do my own. When I started this forum a few months ago I wanted it to be a place to gather information on the little know; upcoming luxury SUV's from GM.

So far it has grown into just what I hoped it would, a place for people to express idea and gather information.

Thank you all (I am so proud...lol)

--Butta
    Butta,

I wish that GMC would make one SUV with all of the options available. Then we could get Stabilitrak, auto climate control, permanent 4WD (AWD) with low range.... It seems that we are never able to get it all and have to make compromises. I would like a Denali XL (3/4 ton) with 8.1L, Stabilitrak, Auto Climate Control for both front and rear, Sunroof, Rear Parking Sensors. Don't think it will happen until Model Year 2002 or 2003. It would also be nice to have a factory GPS system available.

P.S. - don't want to argue the subject to death but Stabilitrak also kicks in if you go around a corner and hit and unexpected slick spot which causes you to start to loose the rear end. So even a good/thoughtful driver could benefit from technology in these circumstances.

Any driver who abuses the road and ignores physics and the law of gravity will easily "outdrive" Stabilitrak hopefully only injuring him/herself. Similar to seeing the idiots in any 4WD in the snow and ice thinking that they are immune to the conditions.
    Thor3

Are you makin' nice with me?

Maybe we can get our trucks in matching colors or something. I feel we've really bonded.

FYI to all. GMC should update their website with new info on the Denali in about 2 weeks, be sure to check it out.

--Butta
  • eversonseversons Member Posts: 38
    Anybody know if white will be available as a color for the 2001 Denali??

Thanks.
    Yes white will be available. Not just old plain white, but Olympic White which is much whiter the
    white.
    Write this down.
    Lars
    What color is Polo Green?
  • wonderlakewonderlake Member Posts: 2
    The color that my dealer told me would be available are:
    Pewter-11U
    Black-41U
    Polo Green-47U
    Garnet Red-72U
    and Summit White-50U

We ordered a Pewter with the grey interior and a sunroof. (I think the only other option on the regular Denali is the engine block heater.) The XL, I understand, has the option of second row buckets; which we like for better accessability to the rear seating, but don't want the extra length.

The pricing I have heard-not yet confirmed by the dealer-is $46,650 Denali and $48,185 for the XL. If the markup remains the same as last year (invoice at .875 of MSRP), this would make them $40,819 and $42,162 respectively.
  • dtmmddtmmd Member Posts: 7
    Has anyone received a production date for 2001 denali xl?
  • drb2002drb2002 Member Posts: 72
    According to a local dealer (Salt Lake City) who received info from their "satellite", Garnet Red is not available right now (Aug 25th) because GM can't get it to stick to the plyable fender flares.

That same day, this dealer received a 2001 color book with every color (interior and exterior) listed by name and code. Polo green looks like... well... medium metallic green!

PS. I have read the "2000 Yukons/Tahoes - Any Details?" since last December, and I have not read as much chatter about nothing, ie. "Stabilitrak" in that entire time!

To the anti-Caddy guys... If people need whatever reason to justify their purchase, let them! You will know right away if you are arguing a moot point.

To the Caddy guys... If you just tell the other guys, "Hey I just want a Cadillac." instead of trying to convince them you are buying it because of this Stabilitrak option, they may just leave you alone...

I was given a hard time in other forum from the Suburban/Yukon XL guys for wanting to order a Yukon Denali XL. And I thought the 6.0L engine in a 1/2 ton XL was a great reason to buy the Denali XL.

(Ok, that was a long PS)
    Dave
    The guys in the "2000 Yukons/Tahoes - Any
    Details?" are too busy figuring out their window problems to care about stabilitrak....also the nerf bars, fender guards, reprogramming remotes, and such...LOL
    Today I received the Cadillac Media Kit for the 2002 Escalade. It is a nice kit, but I wonder if it is worth the $5.40 postage due that I had to pay the post office for it.

The kit includes all sorts of information on the new Escalade and 38 color 35mm slides. It also includes a CD-ROM with everything in electronic form and the 38 images in both hires jpegs and lowres FPOs.

I plan to post the information on my web site, since Edmunds seems so touchey about copyrighted material even though I have permission to reprint it. So plan to visit the web site once I have had a chance to go over it and format a web page for it.

A couple of interesting things. The Escalade comes with the 3rd row seats standard. It is only offered with a liftgate/liftglass rear. It also comes with a Ultrasonic Rear Parking Assist (backup sensor), Goodyear P265/70R17 tires, and something called a Diversity Antenna System.
    no mention of stabilitrak in the package?

I don't think that meredith is overreacting. If you had to scroll through all the posts, you would get tired of the inconsiderate people who cut and paste and don't even have the decency to hide their post....hmmm, I think we discussed this before....