Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Eos New Owners' Reports

ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
edited December 2013 in Volkswagen
Share your excitement over owning your new Eos with us -- what's it like to drive, what you love about it, what you'd change, etc. If you have photos, upload them to your CarSpace album and link to it here -- that way, we can all see them.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

Comments

• cdgchicdgchi Member Posts: 8
    My wife got hers on Wednesday, its been very hard to get her out of it. She loves it, its quick in traffic and handles like its on rails. Every time she puts the top up or down she attracts a crowd. She told aguy in a 5 series Bimmer almost drove off the highway staring at her in it.
  • limiteddriverlimiteddriver Member Posts: 234
    What kind of seats do you have, the sport or comfort? Did you compare seats before you purchased? Do you have the Park Distance Control? TIA
  • cdgchicdgchi Member Posts: 8
    They only had one on the floor, it has leather seats, I'm guessing they are the comfort seats. We didn't get back up assist.
    If you have the Luxury Package you have the Comfort seats. The Sports Package comes with the Sports seats with higher side bolsters.
  • eoslovereoslover Member Posts: 10
    I bought my Eos yesterday and couldn't be happier! The dealer had 3 and I fell in love with the black Sport with beige interior. I could not stop driving it yesterday and can't wait to go out today!
    It's been almost a month, please give us your likes and dislikes and any problems you've had. TIA
  • flheatflheat Member Posts: 46
    The only things I have noticed so far: My MPG is in the low 20's but I am driving it like a madman and I have a manual. My low tire sensors went off after the first automatic carwash and my front right tire was at 34lbs vs the recommended 37lbs; when I inflated it reset. When I got in the car after a rain storm, some water must have poured in the seam on the driver's side pillar and 3 drops of water dripped from the inside pillar seam. There is also some kind of film on the rear window that the dealer did not take off and I tried lightly to rub and it did not come off. I have noticed the rear window defroster is slow to work on a couple of the lines. The navigation does not recognize my city for the street address, so I had to use coordinates to list my "home".

I have found an auxillary jack in the glove box for an ipod (it will not display or change songs). I would like to adjust the rain sensitive windshield wipers to come on a couple seconds sooner than it does.

I found out the trunk closes automatically when you drop it so there is no need to push down on it and the handle to close the trunk is on the inside left side.

I have read on a car review somewhere that there is supposed to be a remote control option to open the convertible remotely and I am hoping someone can give me some information on this. BTW you can open and close the sunroof from the driver's side door lock.

I don't fully understand all the programming of the convenience items so others can enlighten me.

The trunk with the top down really is a lot bigger than it looks. I was able to get 4 cases of soda and 15 grocery bags under the top and still had room.

I do love my eos and I am always getting people asking me about the car. The manual is so much fun to drive fast.
  • neweosownerneweosowner Member Posts: 2
    I have not found a way to remotely put the top down nor is one listed in the manual. I suspect a reviewer got it wrong.

The convenience programming is well described in six pages in the manual - a number of the settings are not intuitive until explained.

I can confirm the understeer mentioned in various reviews, but I still find it very responsive with strong handling for what really isn't a sports car. If you're looking for a best-of-breed sports car, you're looking in the wrong place.

The DSG automatic w/ paddle shifters is absolutely fantastic. There's no way I'd buy a manual unless the small price difference was critical. DSG w/ paddles is the way manual shifting is meant to be performed. Place the car in "Sport" instead of "Drive" and the RPMs stay high for best response. In "Drive", RPMs stay low for decent fuel mileage. Now if only they had a gauge for the turbo so I could see when I'm using it. :)

Only complaints after three days are that the Homelink remote won't open my garage door from far enough away to prevent me from stopping, and that my golf clubs barely don't fit in the trunk with the top down. (Not enough depth from back seat to trunk edge.)

Two defects from the factory (both spotted by the dealer before I took posession). Neither significant, but I suspect it will be months instead of days before I get replacement parts.
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    Moonrock Grey Interior (Photos are slightly lighter than actual color)
    -
    -
    -
  • esellsesells Member Posts: 18
    Just got my Sat sept 30, this thing rocks, I was looking at beemers & A4 but talked to neighbors that have them and changed my mine, I needed 4 seats or would have to drive my Yukon or Ram for school day pick ups so a Porsche was out.
    I got my convertable and the 2.0 Turbo gives it a really sporty feel.
    I am 6' 1" and there is plenty of head room, something I always liked in my old Porsches. Always liked the VW marche but never had I model I craved until the Touareg but didn't like the gas mileage and already have 2 SUV's. Then Sat AM I saw the Eos on the web and went down and looked at one, the kids ok'd the back seat and the smiles are still etched in their faces, as back seaters they voted for a Hummer, a big no-no in Colorado.
    My wife is driving to the Air force Academy today for a sales call, I may never get it back and it's got to be double the gas mileage as the Yukon.
    The only thing I see is that you can't put a seat cover on because the side airbag is in the seat, that puts a worry on me to see how the leatherette stands up to sliding in and out.
    Has anyone seen a tape or something that can be put on the seat to take the wear?
    Remember beemers are motorcycles. The car sounds great. Mine is still "in transit".
  • dangerouscurvedangerouscurve Member Posts: 6
    Very nice. VERY, VERY NICE! Thanks for the pics. I think all of you new owners are quite fortunate.
  • futeosownerfuteosowner Member Posts: 1
    I'm seriously considering getting the Eos, Auto transmission with Luxury package. I'd been waiting for months for it to hit the US market. There is only one thing that would keep me from getting it. If I'm not mistaken VW recommends high octane fuel, but I'm hoping that that is just for "optimal performance" and I could get away with much lower, without doing damage of course. What type of gas are you fortunate owners using? Thanks for any help.
    Keep one thing in mind; at 20 MPG average, 12,000 miles per year and an upcharge of $0.20 per gallon your cost for the premium is only $10 per month. IMHO well worth it.
  • houstontxmobhoustontxmob Member Posts: 56
    I bought the same one like yrs. Black with beige interior sport package! Nice!
  • vw_ridervw_rider Member Posts: 18
    Couple of questions:

I have a dealer who has red with sports package, and blue with lux package..Am confused about which one to go with. The blue one is 600 higher, at 34700

Does the lux package automatically come with the DVD nav system?

And can some real automobile geeks tell me what is the difference between lux and sports packages>?

thanks much
    Prat
    Prat:

Apparently you have not done you own research. Sport package is $200 more than Lux package.

Luxury package doesn't come with Nav System.

At a glance, Sport package has 17" wheel, sport suspension, sport seats, aluminium trim interior. The luxury one has different seats, wood trim and that's about it. The rest is the same. Check it out when u get to dealership tomorrow and ask the sales man, they should their homework as well.

The only reason I could think why they discount so much was the mileage on the blue (lux) one has more mileage. Correct me if I am wrong when u see them tomorrow. Good luck.
    houstontxmob, ur spot on with that..they have 800 miles on the car..
    am goin there tomorrow to check out both the cars
    Mine has about 200 miles when I got mine last Thursday. You can't expect it to be few miles unless there are abundance of them or you custom-order it yrself.
  • jnhashmijnhashmi Member Posts: 1
    No sure if this is base to ask, but wondering what kind of deals the dealers are offering on these. I aggressively pursued a base model manual, which I was repeated told "they don't make" but I finally found one, and it should be here in mid-November. I was told they would only sell at msrp. I took it. Did I get ripped off?

As far as the leaking, I'm anxious to see if/when that will happen. I'd be amazed if a roof with that many moving parts stay tight for long.
    All of these questions and more can be answered at the VWVortex.com forum. It is more comprehensive than this forum. There have been minor reports of leaking with resolution. Yes, there are base Eoses coming into the state; however, currently there are about 25 nationally from what has been discussed in the forum. Most people are paying close to MSRP. I would think the base would probably sell at MSRP.
  • just4fun1just4fun1 Member Posts: 5
    I had to pay MSRP on mine, the dealer wouldn't budge on price. I'm from Canada, and I understand we are only getting a total of 200 EOS's accross the country, so with limited units available, there is not much incentive for dealers to negotiate.

Reading the forums, it sounds like some dealerships are adding a premium to the price, so getting one for MSRP may not be so bad.

I would guess the only way you may get a break on the price is if you can find a demo with a few miles on it. Or wait a few model years and hope the demand softens a bit.

Just for discussion, a base unit, no added options, sells in Canada for about $38,600.00 (with a block heater, pdi, delivery, etc.) before taxes. Based on the exchange rate between the cdn and US dollar it should be about 20% less in the US, or $30,900.00. Does that sound about right for pricing? :shades:
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,923
    Base model here in the states is $27,990.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

i think u have to pay msrp unless ur in a state with a lot of choice like TX..where are you jnhashmi? u havent gotten ripped off my payin msrp..definitely not..but now dealers are willing to budge...and do ur research perfectly..the first dealer i went to was trying to hook me up to a fully loaded car for $38K, while al i wanted was the base model..and then he said oh there's no base models right now which was BS.
    eventually i ended up getting..or will get tonight a lux package for $33700, which aint a bad deal.
    The base model is a great car by itself.
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    VW dealer just sold a real base EOS. MSRP was 28,620.
    wow. i'm surprised they got one.

$27,990 + $630 destination
    i think its worth it.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Yeah I am going to have to get an automatic because my wife can't drive a stick. I have tried to teach her on three different cars and it is a hopeless cause.
    unfortunately, that pushes you up to $31,065 before destination just to begin with.

Yeah I know. Invoice I think is closer to 27,000 for that car.

I would buy in the middle of next winter for invoice and buy rate lease money factoer.
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Let's all take a breath. This is the "New Owners Reports" topic and ALL experiences -- positive, negative, big headaches and small annoyances -- are welcome. Insults are not.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• cotmccotmc Member Posts: 1,081
    If I understand correctly, the only upholstery option for the $27,990 base model is Black Leatherette?

It seems like an oxymoron to use black vinyl seats in a category of car (convertible) that should be most popular in the warmer climates! I can't think of any surface/color combination that screams "It's hot in here!" during those sunny days more than that! :mad:
  • mjmnymjmny Member Posts: 3
    Wondering if anyone else has had these problems. I took delivery of my Eos one week ago. The day I got it, I noticed that this was happening:
    -- I was stopped at a red light on a not particularly steep hill. When I took my foot off the brake, the car rolled backward substantially. Enough that if I didn't stomp on the brake, I could have rolled into the car behind me. It was like driving a manual transmission and not letting out the clutch and giving it some gas when stopped on a hill. This has happened pretty consistently.
    -- Parking on an incline. After putting the car in park, turning off the ignition and taking my foot off the brake, the car rolled downhill. The parking brake did eventually grab but the roll was enough that it could have been into another car in a close parking space. Again, this happens pretty much all the time.
    -- Four days after I got the car, the "check engine" light came on along with the "gas cap open" light. I had not put gas in the car yet. I did take off the cap and then screw it back on and that made the gas warning light go off, but the check engine light stayed on.
    -- After about six days, I noticed that the driver's seat looks worn and has a blue tinge. I'm guessing it's from my jeans. However, I wore the same ones many times when driving my 2004 Accord which also had beige leather seats. The seats did not look as worn after three years as these seats are starting to look now. The passenger seat also has a mark or a stain on it and only one person has sat in it. I'm wondering if the seats were not treated with Scotch Guard or whatever they're supposed to use at the factory.
    -- Finally, yesterday was the first day it rained. When I opened the door, water poured out from the lower sill. But I didn't have any leaks inside the car. Is this the way it's supposed to work?

Anyway, I have a service appointment on the day after Christmas. It would be nice to know if anyone else has had any problems like this or if it's just my particular vehicle.

Thanks.
    mjmny,

I've experienced everything you list except for the "check engine" light. The amazing thing is - you have no leaks inside the car!
    I've had my Eos since Aug and it's been back to the service dept 5 times for leaks in the roof (drips into the back near passenger windows), leak at the driver side A pillar, and the passenger window rolling down when shutting the door. I'm happy to finally have the roof leakage fixed after 3 tries and new seals, but the A pillar leak and the passenger window seems unfixable. I love this car, but not sure if I'm going to stick with it.
    was my exact worry about this car and is one reason why I am waiting to buy one.

I am sure once VW gets a few hundred thousand of EOSes(sp??) out in the marketplace they will come out with a good permenant fix.

You are going to have to wait a while for it though and maybe be somebody's guinea pig.
  • pbartpbart Member Posts: 1
    Considering purchasing an EOS or Passat. Love the EOS and for selfish reasons would choose it in a minute, however, I have 2 children (10 & 12) and as a stay at home mom I drive them everywhere. Was wondering if anyone out there owns an EOS or 2 door convertible, who also has children could share their experiences with me. The logical side of me is telling me to stay with the sedan for the obvious reasons...but whenever I look at the EOS practicality goes out the window. Any feedback on either car would be much appreciated. Thanks!
    My nine year old loves the car. She's a big kid and is able to get in and out relatively easily. I have found myself opening and closing the door and adjusting the front seat for her a lot. Mostly this is because I'm being fussy about how the doors and seat are handled. (Being a kid, she's not as careful with things as I would like.)

I will admit that, after the initial thrill of having the new convertible wore off, she did start to complain about getting out of the coupe -- but immediately said that having the convertible was worth it. I suspect there will be fewer complaints come Spring.

Will the EOS be your only car? If so, you may run into challenges with the combination of kids and groceries and the roof in the open position.
    Here's the result of the visit to the dealership.

First, of course, after driving for about a week with the check engine light on, it went off about one mile from the dealership.

However, they ran the diagnostics and did find some problems. They said they rebooted the computer. I'm guessing they did because I had to reset the information screens and the settings on the radio.

Transmission -- the service advisor said they called VW and were told that the rolling on inclines was "normal" for the EOS because it has a unique "manual/automatic" transmission. I found it hard to believe that it is "normal" for a car with an automatic transmission to roll backwards down a hill up to five feet while in drive. I asked for the phone number of the service line at VWoA so I could hear the story for myself. They wouldn't give it to me and referred me to customer service.

On the way back from the dealership and in the subsequent days, I noticed that the problem was now occasional rather than constant. Sometimes it still rolls, but about 80% of the time, the gear holds it on the hill. I'm wondering if the reboot of the computer has something to do with the improvement.

I've since talked to VW customer service and they said they would look into it and call me back. I'll post again when I get the their response.

Seats -- they said it must have been something I did and refused to do anything. They didn't even want to tell me which leather cleaner their detailers used. I got one at an auto parts store and it did a reasonable job on the seat that was turning blue but it didn't do anything on the passenger seat stain. I don't know what caused the stain so I'm now searching the web for advice.

And PTL -- still no leaks!
  • howiebxhowiebx Member Posts: 20
    I like the EOS and the Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder - any opinions would be appreciated. Base price on Eos ~ 28k vs 25k on the Spyder

thx
    Hands down on EOS all the way man! You are comparing a hardtop/moonroof convertible to a soft-top convertible! Sorry, not a big fan of Spyder!
  • gsilva27gsilva27 Member Posts: 3
    They use Automagic, and Personally I use a product called Awesome. Believe its only a 1$ a bottle they sell it at the dollar store here in CA not sure where you live. But That stuff has helped me out of a lot of binds with stains and works wonder on vinyl and Carpet spots a great addition to anyones cub bard.
  • evoeddieevoeddie Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,
    New to the board. My wife took delivery of her EOS just before Halloween and, overall, she loves it! It is pretty cool. The grandkids like it and I don't mind driving it as it's quick and nimble enough (My daily driver is a Mitsu EVO). It's that grey colored sport edition with the black leather interior (no nav). Got it from the dock, so out the door with less than 25 miles on it. Now here's what we're afraid of - she had a '00 Cabrio that she also liked but a ton of problems after 3 1/2 years of owning it. First 3 years were fairly OK, but things started falling apart (interior pieces, gauge cluster died at 55K miles, convertible top mechanism died at 80K miles, all expensive fixes) so we said no more VWs. Then the EOS came out. Damn! Well, today it's at the dealer, not because of leaks but there is a "thump" that we hear from the hardtop at the rear right side. At speed it's OK and with the top down, no problemo, but backing out of a driveway or over a little raod imperfection and "thunk!". We're hoping it's just an adjustment. We've already agreed that if we start having cute little problems again, the car will have to go. I'll let you know what happens from our dealer visit. :confuse:
    Yucks, sorry to hear that. I've been observing the quality of german automobiles lately. As a result, the only way that I would get to drive this EOS is to lease it. Hey, if there's no problem with this car after 3 years (end of the lease term), I might turned around and purchased it with extended warranty or something like that. At least I would hav a piece of mind driving the car. Keep us posted on your repairs. Good luck.
  • cb391cb391 Member Posts: 24
    I get that noise from time to time when I hit sharp bumps. Sounds like it might be the trunk latches
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Hi, folks,

Since there have been a number of posts concerning leaks, I've opened a new topic for it. You may notice that a few posts have been moved there:

Volkswagen Eos Water Leaks

• ttilleyttilley Member Posts: 1
    Driver's side window rolls half way down upon closing door... supposed to roll down 1/2/inch, then back up to seal upper window. Instead it goes halfway down and stays, until you put key in door lock and turn to right and hold..... THEN window rolls back up.

Dealership has tried twice to fix it. Now a tech coming from factory? any success stories concerning having this repaired?
    I had the same issue. The problem was fixed only after 4 tries of removing and repositioning the window and then finally replacing the actuator (sp?). I've had my car since Aug - it took 6 mos to figure it out.
  • loose1loose1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi prospective buyer how's it treating you? would you still buy one? Just wondering... Any 2008 owners yet?
  • freridfrerid Member Posts: 4
    I have owned mine over six months, and most of that has been over the winter, when I could not put the top down. I have to report that I am very happy with the car. It drives well, is comfortable, and I have not had any problems. I am waiting impatiently for warmer weather so that I can have the top down all of the time. I would buy one again!
    I have owned my Eos since 08/30/06 and have not had a single issue to report. I put my top up and down at least twice daily and had no problems. The car is great, of course I would definately buy it again. I just wish more accessories are made available so I can continue to personalize her. I just had my 5000 service and my experience exceeded by expectations.
  • dadriver1dadriver1 Member Posts: 2
    I have had my EOS for a week. No problems yet. I have not been in the rain enough to test the roof seals. I do hear a bit of thump in the back that appears to happen when the tranny (2.0T DSG) upshifts. Is this perhaps a normal exhaust noise? This is my first VW. If anyone is familiar with this let me know. Thanks.