Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Eos New Owners' Reports

Comments

• ctmatthewctmatthew Member Posts: 1
    I took delivery of a 2.0T in March. At about 5500 miles I started to hear a "thumping" noise from the rear of the car. The car performed fine, but the noise was unsettling. It happened in drive, park, moving, idle, etc.

One day I went to gas up and there was considerable back-pressure when I removed the gas cap. Then the car wouldn't take any fuel. I brought the car to my dealer, Riverbank Volkswagen, in Stamford, CT.

That was a month ago. I still do not have the car. The dealer replaced a pump in the gas tank, then part of an "EVAP" system, then the entire fuel tank explaining that the tank was "imploding.". They gave me the car back and the problem started again one block away from the dealership. I returned the car the next morning.

After waiting for "VW Engineers" to see the car, the dealer determined that "wires were crossed" at the factory. The dealer then told me that when they fixed the wiring issue, the thumping stopped, but a check engine light was on indicating a problem with the EVAP system. Hence, I still do not have my brand new EOS.

Volkswagen Customer Relations has been useless. I am growing progressively more frustrated with both the dealer and VW, and have recently demanded the car be replaced. I now have to initiate lemon law proceedings in hopes of encouraging VW to do the right thing.

The sad part is I loved the car. Yes, there were tiny leaks, the car rolled backward and held gallons of water in the door wells, but the car looked great and ran like hell. I've never received more compliments and thumbs-up about a car. It's a head turner and with the 2.0 is nimble and exciting to drive. At least that's what I can recall. It has been a month since I drove the car. Has anyone had this problem?
  • dct82medct82me Member Posts: 1
    I've had my 2008 2.0T for one week. I was told by the dealer to avoid high-pressure car washes. "She" had her first (hand) car wash on Tuesday at a local establishment. I checked for leaks (b/c I've read on the boards that this is a common issue). I didn't see any. I'm not quite sure that I was looking in the "right" places. Also, regarding the sealant ... I also was told by the dealer that the product through the dealer is pretty expensive and to just buy a product at a local establishment (basically to save on the cost).

Anyhow, about this thump noise ... is it distinctively loud? I'm wondering if I'd be able to hear it over the stereo. I do have a tendency to listen to loud-er music :o)

I'm wondering if these (most talked-about) issues have been resolved on the 2008 models (crosses fingers).

Anyhow, any input would be greatly appreciated.
  • hazardmhazardm Member Posts: 1
    I love my EOS but have a serious safety issue that VW says they've never heard of from anyone else.

Sometimes when I come to a full stop on a steep grade and then try to get moving again, I can take my foot off the brake and push down on the accelerator and nothing happens except I roll back in the opposite direction. The engine does not rev up and the gear does not engage. I have to roll down to the bottom of the grade and stop before I can get anything to happen. This has happened to me on several occasions and I have ended up trying to avoid steep grades. I do rolling stops when I can't avoid it.

VW has been unable to duplicate this when I've taken it in to them and tell me no one else has reported this issue. Am I all alone out there?

I also have minor leaking around the window but typically only when I take it thru a high pressure car wash.
  • freridfrerid Member Posts: 4
    Hi, I have a similar problem, but not nearly as bad. If I am on the very steep hill the car will roll backward when I take the foot off the break, but I can usually "catch" it by gently pushing the accelerator. If I push it gently, the engine engages and kind of spurts forward. Perhaps you are pushing down on the accelerator too abbruptly? It does freak me out that a car with an automatic transmission would roll backward on a hill at all. I would think it shouldn't do that. I have had my Eos over a year, and have just gotten used to this, I guess. The only problem is in the winter, when the road is icy, the tires spin when the engine engages. That's not good. I do love my Eos, but this thing with the transmission allowing it to roll backward on a hill I do not like.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,930
    I've had this on many automatic transmission vehicles, although usually more of a problem on heavier vehicles than the EOS. I suggest, if needing to stop on a hill, holding the brake with your left foot and start giving it gas with your right before lifting off the brake.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    The EOS is really a DSG though so I can see a little bit of hesitation as the tranny ECU flutters the outer clutch to try and start on a hill. I noticed it when I tried backing a EOS out of a steep incline a few weeks ago.
  • forcefieldforcefield Member Posts: 1
    I have exactly the same problem with VW Eos 2008 2.0T.
    It happens even on the not-so-steep hills and it's like a nightmare to drive in San Francisco. I read the owner's manual and it suggests using the hand brake which is like going back to the manual shift car made decades ago and I don't even know how to drive a stick. Even though this car has DSG, I feel it is not acceptable when I am driving it as an automatic. I didn't pay $$$ to downgrade to manual shift car! I contacted the service department at dealership and I was told that they have never heard of this problem. Looks like many owners are having the same issue here. I spoke with other car owners who drive Tiptronic or similar, and it does not seem to happen to other makes. I am taking it to the dealership tomorrow.
  • superdogstevesuperdogsteve Member Posts: 11
    I want to start off by saying I love my 2007 EOS and would buy it again! I will even buy another one if they come out with the TDI in the US.

I have experienced a total loss of power when I step on it. I have 4600 miles on it and a couple of times I have turned out into traffic, which the pedal down and BAM it is like the car stalls and then it picks back up and goes like hell! Anyone else experience this. The RPMs just drop. It sometimes happens when I back out of a parking space and put it in drive, I press the accelerator and it starts to move forward but then hesitates really bad and then gets moving...

Does this sound familiar?
    Is there a way to reset the maintenance warning on the message center myself.

I didn't feel like making an appointment a week in advance with the dealer for a simple oil change, so I bought the VW oil filters for the parts department and had a local mechanic do my oil change with synthetic oil at about 3500 miles, but now that I am approaching 5000 miles, the warning keeps popping up that maintenance is due.

Do I have to take this to the dealer to have it reset? I looked in the manual, but could find anything related to this.

STEVE
  • rob60657rob60657 Member Posts: 6
    2007 VW Eos
    2.0T w/DSG
    Dynaudio/Nav
    18" wheels
    Black on black

1. Top leaked. Dealership fixed w/VW product after pretending to have never heard of the problem (why do these idiots insist on humiliating themselves when there's so much anecdotal evidence online?)
    2. Rattle in dash fixed by dealership (or fixed itself as the dealership claimed they couldn't find the source of the rattle. I read an industry review that refers to the rattle as ubiquitous suggesting the rattle is a hallmark of VWs.
    3. Inside trunk release didn't give enough time to exit the vehicle and open the trunk before the trunk lid closed again. The original dealership claimed to have fixed it but when it happened again I took it to a different dealer and, so far so good. I did get a lot of laughs showing this to my friends.
    4. A few minor missing nuts and bolts the original dealership claimed to have put back but didn't. The second dealership also said they would take care it of but didn't. (They said they ignored this because I didn't pay the $3.00 for the part which I told them was missing from the getgo and should be under warranty. My car has 3K miles on it. Are all the VW dealerships this inept?) Now they say they are ordering the part.
    5. The body must be made of silly putty because I have 2 dings on the doors caused by the most miniscule of bumps. I try to park as far from other cars as possible and usually look for parallel spots. I've found I can park in the most remote part of a parking lot with no cars around for hundreds of feet and still, some [non-permissible content removed] parks right next to me. Maybe the car's magnetic.
    6. By far the most frustrating problem and one that has revealed the shortsightedness of those I've dealt with is the satellite radio. I got the 3 free months of SIRIUS signal and it promptly screwed up cutting in and out and flashing "linking.." on the nav screen. I immediately contacted the original dealership where the guy who sold me the car said he'd heard of this problem and, in fact, the dealership had replace several reception "boxes" located in the trunks. When I brought the car in for service they circled their wagons and claimed to have never heard of the problem (which, again, is all over the net for anyone to verify). Before I dropped the car off I contacted VWUSA and told them of the situation. As my 3 free months were drawing to a close I requested VW underwrite another free trial period since I hadn't had the opportunity to really gauge the quality of their programming. I was told they would review the problem after the dealership found the problem. The dealership claimed there was nothing wrong with the setup and VWUSA refused to cover another trial period. Now my 3 free months are over and I am being besieged by SIRIUS' sales in the form of daily phone calls and eMails, to renew my subscription. I told SIRIUS my Catch 22 problem explaining that their marketing plan to whet our SIRIUS appetites was being wasted and suggested they go online where a lively discussion is waging about the incompatibility of SIRIUS and VW which SIRIUS admits is an issue (VW claims they've never heard of the problem). I am currently waiting for SIRIUS to get back to me having asked them for an additional 3 free months to accurately assess their product however if the incompatibility issue isn't fixed what good is another 3 months of poor signal? Haven't heard back from them.
    7. The side bolsters on the front seats are so big there's precious little space to get in and out of the car without banging your butt into it and the constant butt banging has scratched the cheap leather. I've tried to use the EZ access button on the seat to motor it back enough to enter and exit the car without banging into the side bolster but it seams this only works with the door open making it difficult to impossible to use for this purpose. The problem here is exacerbated by the fact that, although the seats are quite articulate, there's no memory. My wife drives the car too and we are quite different in size and with all the directions the seat is capable of motoring it's nearly impossible to find the same, comfortable position.

My question is Do the Bears have a chance at next year's Superbowl? No, SIRIUSly...is anyone else having these issues and what has been done about them?

Even with all these problems I love the car. I've experienced the rolling back problem in Park but I'm dealing with it. The trunk is a joke. The windshield washers spray over the glass and into the cabin when the sunroof's open. I've seen a great looking aftermarket rear valance that accommodates a dual exhaust which I've got to have
  • stunachtstunacht Member Posts: 2
    Did any one test the Volvo C70 before purchasing the EOS? The Volvo C70 seems huge as compared to the EOS. Is the V6 worth paying extra for? Last question is the drive comfortable or do you feel the road? Thanks so much its my first car purchase since my husband passed away. Any advice is truly appreciated.
  • flheatflheat Member Posts: 46
    I did test drive both and the C70 engine is lathargic compared to the Eos 2.0T. The 2.0T is a very good engine and the 6 cyl in the Eos is not needed. You also have better road feel in the Eos and an overall better driving experience. Save 10 grand and buy the Eos.
  • stunachtstunacht Member Posts: 2
    Thank you so much. My son was thinking that the 2.0T would be sluggish when getting on the freeway. Whew thanks for the advice. Really want a convertible but after reading EOS posts last night was afraid it had some serious headaches.
    Again thanks.
    :) I have had an EOS since May '07, and would not trade it for the world. It is so much fun to drive, and the 2.0L turbo is great! I have not had any leaks at all, but have experienced the 'roll back" it is not a huge deal once you get used to it. I experienced the same thing with a Chevy Impala I rented at the airport once.

The fun of an EOS completely out weighs any of the tiny problems and character the car might have.

One recommendation is the darker interior, because our light tan gets dirty quick and you have to dry wipe the dirt first, otherwise if you use a cleaner it is set in the leather for life. I learned that the hard way. This is my first convertible with such a light color interior. If you use the wind shield over the back seat, the dirt is even worse because it gets trapped on the seat by the wind collecting under the shield.
    I don't think the C70 has the operable sunroof as well as the retractable hardtop. I drove the 2.0T and the 3.2 and the turbo is much quicker. I wish I could have gotten the bi-xenon headlights that come with the bigger engine but so what. I've experienced many of the little glitches mentioned in these forums and still love my EOS. Can't wait to put my top down, crank up my dynaudio system and paddleshift my way through the twisties.

rob60657
  • trackulatrackula Member Posts: 10
    We took delivery a couple of weeks ago and have nothing but praise for the car. Fit, finish, quality materials, comfort and performance are beyond our expectations. No leaks yet, but we personally lubed all seals as soon as we brought it home. Went through a fairly high pressure "touchless" wash with no leaks found. Fuel economy was 29.7 on the first tank with 80% highway driving. The only issue is a very slight headlight beam misalignment. The buying experience was great and we'd do it all over again.

Thanks to all who have posted their experiences. It really helped in the few weeks we researched the car before buying. I had some reservations due to the leak issues but decided to take the chance and I'm now glad we did.

Does anyone out there have 40,000 miles or more yet on their Eos? Just wondering how the reliability has been and whether the driveability has degraded at all.
  • eosluvreosluvr Member Posts: 3
    I just passed 27,000 miles on my 2.0T. I purchased mine in Sept. 06 and fell in love. In Dec. 06 the turbo system imploded and the dealer had to replace the entire turbo system. Since then I haven't had any problems. In one thread someone mentioned the trunk not staying open long enough to get to it from the drivers seat. I have the same problem but that is pretty minor. I'm just too lazy to have the dealer fix it. I don't want to give up my car for that long.
    I drive about 90 miles a day round trip to work and my average mileage is about 30mpg. I have driven on longer trips and gotten as much as 35mpg.
    Overall the car is a blast to drive. No degradation of performance at all
    I'm thinking of installing a module that will alter the operation of the top and other features. I was wondering if anyone else has one of these modules? How is the performance? Any problems with installation or electrical issues? The module is from a company named Mods4Cars. They make roof operation modules for many of the German cars.

thanks for any info
    Glad to hear you are having fairly good luck with the car. I'd like to see one of the major car mags do a long-term test on the Eos. Was there any indication from the dealer as to what caused the Turbo implosion, and how long did you wait for parts? The only VW dealer here is 150 miles away.
    That was the REALLY bad part about the turbo failure. I had only owned the car for 3 1/2 months when it happened. When I took it to the dealer they said they would have to order parts. Then they told me that I could still drive the car if I wanted while the parts were on order. That wasn't a good sign. I refused the car because I had almost been involved in numerous wrecks because I couldn't accelerate. Short story, they had the car for 26 days. 4 more days and they would have owned the car because of the Cailfornia lemon law. Needless to say I was VERY upset with the dealer. I fell out of love with the car very quickly but after driving it since I haven't had any more problems.
  • nmacknmack Member Posts: 5
    We are having accelerator problems with the EOS. It hesitates for a second or two and then surges. Seems dangerous. took it in twice already and still no fix found. Do we have a lemon? Any one else with this problem?
    I have this problem with the engine is cold. I notice it most when I back out of a parking space and then press the gas... it starts to go, and then loses power, and then kicks in again. It has also happened to me when I have pulled out into traffic, I step on it, and then BAM no power, and then it's back... but only when the engine is cold. once it is up to temperature, I have not had a problem.

Of course the dealer can not duplicate the problem and no codes are recorded.

I still love the car. It is a year old now, and I wouldn't trade it for anything!!!

If anyone finds a fix, please share it!!
  • nmacknmack Member Posts: 5
    We have had the EOS in the service dept three times for lagging acceleration. Sometimes you just start to pass or pull out and NOTHING happens. It just puts along for a second ot two and then suddenly spins the wheels and jumps forward. It is kindof scary. They say nothing is wrong.
  • suebryantsuebryant Member Posts: 1
    I've had the Eos 3 months and have the problem of surging when I accelerate - and especially when I'm stopped and take my foot off the brake. Even if I don't touch the gas the car surges forward, a few times so hard I thought I'd been rear-ended. Parallel parking is a nightmare. Brought it to the dealer twice and was told it's the way the car is designed and there's nothing they can do. How common is this problem, anyway? And has anyone been able to get it fixed by a dealer?
  • annerossanneross Member Posts: 2
    I have never liked a soft-top convertible. I have been a hardtop convertible fan back in ’98 or so when I was young as I saw a TV commercial, it has become my dream car.

Seeing the EOS the movement of hardtop down, I feel it brings me into the future, I feel it’s like a time machine,…and I feel the car is gonna fly, which is my dream too.

I have found and loved EOS, since the start searching for a new car because of my 5-year-old car was hit and totaled this June (fortunately, my sister was not injured, but has been traumatized), and it looked like brand new, smelled like brand new, and looked absolutely gorgeous and was maintained in an excellent and very well condition, exceptionally clean and shine inside and out, the whole nation has less than 5% of used cars like mine, my old car was the best of all used cars in the world, but I did not get a reasonable settlement for this car wreck from the other party’s auto insurance company! Nothing I could do.

However, I have set my eyes when I first decided the first stop at the VW dealer, my younger sister saw me nodding my head, and then I had been waiting for the car for a few months.

Been waiting for a long time. My 09 eos lux was finally here. The first day driving home from the car dealer was a real adventure. It turned out to be one!

This has been really very so frustrating!!!

I have owned a VW EOS 09 model since this Oct. 18, 2008.

But it started since the first day that when starting the engine or just unlocking the door with the remote control key, All four windows suddenly started to go down completely ALL at the same time! I have tried to pull them going back up, really rare times they would. Sometimes the moment as I pulled the up buttons, the windows would just stop and stuck in the middle on the way and then went down completely again. If the windows were willing to coming back up either I pulled individual power window buttons or the one-touch button, but they would go down again, or as this window was up but another would go down, and I tried to pull them back up again, then they going down again, or I pulled up button but it went down,…, it has never ended by doing so! Again and again, over and over! Day after day! The windows and I were doing “tug of war”.

I called the car dealer; they said there shouldn’t be a problem. And so I have been really patient waiting for “the phenomenon” to become better. But it has become worse and worse! The windows have refused/resisted to come back up! And I heard clicking sound from the doors continuously. Yet, All power window buttons would not work almost all the time no matter how I tried during driving or stopped or parked, and so I must have tried everything/any action to let the windows close completely whenever I parked the car, then I turned off the engine immediately and got the key and out of the car and locked!!! Otherwise, even if the engine was turned off, the windows might still go down either somewhere else in the middle or completely. Yet, the power windows are supposed to have power/worked at least 10 minutes after the engine is off, but a NO!

I spent some bucks going onto the internet to ask “Just Answer.com” to see if there was anything I could have helped myself to fix it. The master technician from internet believed there may have an issue with the left front door window motor. He said the dealer should be there to take care of it for me! And he said, up to this date, he has never seen one case like this. Also, I had read through the booklet to see if there were any tips to help fixing the windows problem.

Thus, I called the car dealer for service immediately, they answered no appointment time was available!” So, I waited…, finally when I got an appointment time, the day was raining!! Therefore, I could not go for a service because when I started the engine, all four windows would not close back up! And the trip to the car dealer is at least half an hour.

So I waited for another appointment time, and during which time it had been raining and raining! Do you think I could go anywhere with this BRAND NEW CAR?! The place where I live with no public transportation, do you know how much trouble it has caused without being able to use my car???

I set up an appointment via internet thoroughly by filling out all needed and extra info for a car service, but the dealer internet service website did not reply me whether the appointment time was confirmed or not, I asked again to make sure, the internet “teller” would not care, finally the email replied to me to contact the service directly?! So, three more days had passed, I got an appointment time.

The day driving to go for the service on I-40, it had frightened my sister because of the windows suddenly moving down, and there was no way she could help to make them all going back up while sitting on the passenger seat. After raining, the day was really windy and chilled, plus the loud noise from the outside made us really uncomfortable! So, while I was driving, I had to do “multitasking” by sparing my time, my eyes, and my mind trying and waiting for the windows to go back up one window by one window! This was not the end because after the windows were back up, they would go down completely over and over, and I had been trying to do this action again and again all the way on the way to the service.

At the dealer, the salesman came and said to us; luckily the car is still under warranty! Yeah!! Of course, I only have owned the car for a few days!

Unfortunately, after waiting for two hours for the car windows to be fixed at the service, the manager told us that they could not fix the problem because they did not have the part. They said the problem would only have to replace the one-touch power window switch. He told us to wait two or three days to go back, and they will call us. It’s been a week, we haven’t got any call.

At this point, you should understand how we got home and how we have been suffering from the car windows problem! Can you believe it happens to a brand new car!? I have never heard!

Now the weather gets chilly and chilly, about 32F at mornings and nights, the time as I got out of school, the temperature is 50F and chilly wind blowing. There were days the wind was heavy and blew fallen tree leaves and dark thick dirt into my car.

I had been trying the website “customer care”, “contact us” WWW.VW.COM , but every time as I clicked “NEXT” after entering VIN, it always told me “oops, you made a mistake…, ERROR, can not load the data right now, try again in a few minutes…” I had never succeeded. I was very sure that the VIN was correct all the time when it was typed in. Then I tried to complain via “VW information center”, you know what? The dialogue box only showed me the first two lines of my typing, and the submit button would not come up on the screen for me to click on; I did not succeed eithe
  • annerossanneross Member Posts: 2
    Yesterday, people told me I had NON taillights on when braking and while the headlights were on during night time driving!!!!!!

I have been really frustrated with Problematic power Windows!!!!!!!!!!!!, and more!?

My sister blamed me “look what you’ve got spending that much money?” And my friend teased me “who wanted the hardtop convertible?”

I have lost confidence with this brand new vehicle, I can not stop to think how much trouble and repair cost I am gonna spend after warrant period!? I am very confused now if I want to keep EOS or not.

Today, I asked roadside assistance to tow my car in for the service because driving becomes a hazard.

That is my story. That is my EOS!?

???...
  • VWEosMysteryVWEosMystery Member Posts: 2
    I have an 2007 Eos with 59,000 miles. I have had this surging problem since it was new and the dealer says it's normal. Have you found a solution yet?
  • VWEosMysteryVWEosMystery Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 VW Eos with 59,000 miles. I have serviced it religious but have been consuming about one quart of oil every 1,000 miles for some time. I have to add several quarts of oil between service intervals. It is not leaking oil on the floor. The dealership told me that 1/2 quart of oil consumption for every 600 miles is normal. I find this very hard to believe. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? It sounds like a major problem that VW is trying to avoid.
  • sue55sue55 Member Posts: 1
    I was thinking about buying a volvo c70 but was told by a friend to look into the Volkswagon EOS lux as a comperable car with a smaller prices tag. Has anyone heard of any comparisons of the two. Has anyone looked into both? thanks for any feedback.
    There are a lot of comparisons on the Internet, and even earlier in this string.

I love my EOS :) , but I would drive both if I were you. We selected the EOS, and love to drive it every day!

STEVE
    We've had our EOS 2.0 (Base) for 11 months and love it. No issues at 12,000 plus miles; it has been trouble-free. Great car so far, very economical. I've not driven the C70, however friends with Volvos report high maintenance costs above 70,000 miles. Honestly, I'm convinced any car not well-maintained is going to have those issues though. There is a direct comparison in one of the auto mags you might want to check out. Google an "EOS C70 Comparison." We did that before our EOS purchase. It should turn up what you are looking for. Good luck with your decision.
  • woobegonewoobegone Member Posts: 21
    Some posters have observed that the engine surges. I've noticed it as well, but I'm wondering if this is just normal for any turbocharged engine. It hasn't been problematic for me, and I'm used to the way the car drives so it doesn't bother me. Any seasoned turbo drivers have an opinion?
  • eosinseattleeosinseattle Member Posts: 9
    This is a problem.
    VW seems not to understand HOW TO BUILD A NEW CAR THAT DOESN'T BURN OIL!
    previously, i drove a volvo s40 (loved it!) that burned thru brakes.

But buring oil is a DANGEROUS problem for VW in that the average US driver does not expect their new $36,000 vehicle to burn a quart/1,000 miles.

my VW Driver's manual does recommend checking the oil levels EVERY fill up.
    Frankly, i think VW has been deceitful. They've built a problem into their vehicles.
    This warning should have been put on a damn sticker inside the glove compartment! That way, I'd see the little note before i bought the darn car.

I now won't buy another VW .
    I'm told the surging, like the rolling forward or backward in Park, are a function of the manumatic transmission. Do any 6-speed owners have these same problems? I'm used to it after a year.
  • ablegirlablegirl Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking about purchasing an Eos. Love the way it drives. Will my golf clubs fit in the trunk with my golf cart?
    I am also experiencing the oil consumption issue. My local dealer wants to do an oil consumption test, and if it uses more that 1 Qt of oil per 1000 miles then VW will do something otherwise they will do nothing.

I really love my EOS, but this is really frustrating. Can you imagine a quart per 1000 miles, when you brought it in for an oil change you wouldn't have any oil left.

Not to mention the recommended oil is expensive and an oil change at VW is $90. and they will not top it off without charging you for the oil.

Bad customer service on VWs part. The dealer agrees with me, but there is nothing they can do.

I guess this is common in VW 2.0L engines, although I have read the engines that have been rebuilt by the dealer no longer consume oil.

My recommendation is to check your oil between oil changes.
    this has been a remarkable vehicle on many respects.

VW had to COMPLETELY replace my entire transmission at 9K miles!

then 6 months later, the car wouldn't shift into anything other than drive or neutral (no reverse, or park- try getting your keys out in THAT mode!... not!!)

the 'surging' is something that i first noticed on my test drives, and found less surging on the Non-Sport model. (dunno if sport pckg is still offered, v-6 is no longer offered). i now simply 'baby' the accelerator to get around the surging
    and the 'lag' on acceleration is certainly more pronounced when cold (crappy car when cold, frankly).

the window's issue is entirely due to VW engineers on crack! they have designed in these problems with that mini auto-open feature when you turn off the car.
    i know why they did it (easier to close doors with windows slightly open), but it makes for b.s. like you read here on Edmunds.
    and try driving this car in wet weather! my left pant leg gets wet every time the driver's side window 'mini-opens'!!! not a car for the Pacific Northwet!!

VW ought to be ashamed with themselves for designing a car like this!. I've found VW customer service on the phone to be much more responsive that trying to deal with them online...
    Nope. Clubs need to go in the back seat...
    trunk is pretty small in this car.
    but ski's fit just fine
    (and i'm a real estate agent, and can fit 6 open house signs easily in the trunk- even with the top down!)
  • schnitzel1schnitzel1 Member Posts: 3
    VW cars appear to be built with quality when you see them in the showroom. However, it is all smoke and mirrors as they quickly deteriate and malfunction.
    Thank God I only leased my '08 Eos for 24 months. It leaks, creaks, rattles, burns oil like an Indy race car, and has multiple other ridiculous quirks. All of this backed up by an untrained Dodge dealer, smarmy customer "advocates" in Michigan, a regional rep In Tampa named bobby figgs? who refuses to and apparently doesn't have to return customer calls, an un-emailable president, and a general non-customer-oriented approach to product satisfaction that is unbelievable in today's economy. Any time you call a customer service center and told that "we allow a certain amount of water leakage into the cabin of an eos" or "the industry standard for oil consumption is one quart per 1000 miles," you know you're being handled by a crusty old black beetle with a bad german accent. Buut, Brooke Shields does seem to enjoy her routan! If you have to drive a car every day, like most people in this country, you'd have to be a moron to pick a vw eos. It's rancid schnitzel.
    We've had our Eos 14 months (17,000 mi.) and it burns not a drop of oil, the cabin does not leak and it is a joy to drive and own. The mileage is outstanding, averaging 29.5 mpg. I've always owned Japanese makes because of the quality and reliability and so far the Eos is as good, with higher quality interior materials and fit/finish that rival the best. All this from an owner who takes very good care of the car, lubing the seals every few months, and changes oil and filters on schedule. I expect an occasional rattle from the rear due to the complexity of the top mechanism. We've never had to take the car back to the dealership and the only issue at scheduled maintenance was a headlight beam adjustment.

I have no complaints and nothing but praise for this car. I do wish VW had more consistent build-quality and a better customer care network through their dealerships.
    It is my understanding that only the 2.0L and 2.0L Turbo are the engines that burn oil. If you purchase the 6 cylinder you won't experience the oil consumption.

I had my EOS for 21 months and could not stand the oil consumption anymore so I traded it off. I took a big loss on it, but I was very frustrated with VW customer care.

I absolutely loved the vehicle and if I had it to do again, I would buy it again, but with the more expensive 6 cylinder engine. Hind sight is 20/20.

My VW dealer was very sympathetic, but since I was not burning 1 qt or oil per 1000 miles yet they would not do anything.

For anyone reading this, the EOS is an awesome car, just stay away from the 2.0L engine. Actually any VW with the 2.0L burns oil from what I read on the Internet, Jetta, Passat, Beatle the VW 2.0L is just bad news.

VW really needs to address this because it will give them a bad reputation.
  • ddepke1ddepke1 Member Posts: 1
    I LOVE this car. Just bought it last week and have had so much fun driving it. My daughters love it and enjoy comments they get from people (especially with the top down. I have the Komfort automatic model with 17" wheels. I compared this car to the BMW and Lexus convertibles and hands down...this is the best convertible out there for the price and financing. I bought my from David Rucker at the Keffer VW dealership in Huntersville, NC. He is the best sales person I have ever dealt with and I am super critical.

Pam Emerson
  • mccher74mccher74 Member Posts: 1
    I disagree, my clubs fit in my trunk fine. I almost thought I could fit my friends in as well but it was just too snug. So without the screen in the back I was able to fit two sets nicely. It was actually a deciding factor for me when researching. Other convertibles just didn't have the same space. Saab's convertible also had decent space.
  • bigbadbarneybigbadbarney Member Posts: 1
    The dealer told me the "jumpy" transmission in stop & go traffic is normal. However, this surging feels like it is very hard on the transmission. How much "banging" does it take to ruin the transmission. I tried to get used to it, but passengers ask me "what is wrong with my car". This surging :D is like driving a stick with someone popping the clutch all the time.
  • eos_owner99eos_owner99 Member Posts: 3
    Just joined edmunds today to research oil consumption issue. Have a 2008 EOS (2.0 litre Turbo) and cannot go between standard maintenance intervals without running low of oil. Have started VW's 'oil consumption monitoring plan' which sounds like bull to me however want to follow the rules so when I ask for a new one they can't say I didn't oblige them. I have 2 issues, (1) I'm concerned about engine damage because I've run low on oil twice now (although I did take it in to VW as soon as the low oil light came on) and (2) it looks like an engineering problem with this type of engine which cannot be fixed. Documenting everything and will be writing to VW shortly. Any recommendations from others who have dealt with VW previously? I am not getting much help from the local dealer...they say they get their direction from Germany. :lemon:
    I read online that if you can get them to rebuilt the motor the oil consumption stops. You are doing the right thing with the oil consumption study. Good Luck!

The EOS is such a fun car, the 2.0T is such a disappointment.
  • jws6jws6 Member Posts: 3
    YES - we have the same problem and same crap line from VW on the 600 mile "rule " which is bull sh_ _! In addition to this problem it leaks water very badly and grows mold and effects my wifes lungs its aweful! They have replaced all the carpet and its been in 3 times for themold and water problem but still not fixed. I have contacted my attorney as I am going to try and turn it in under the lemon law! Never again will we buy a VW because they know of these problems and will not step up and address the problem head on!

RUN RUN RUN as fast as you can away from this car its a nightmare!
    OMG stay away from the EOS! Its a nightmare! engine problems, burns oil like its going out of style and leaks water very badly! This is a problem with all of them, its all over the internet! STAY AWAY! My buddy nought the Volvo c70 for his wife and had major transmission issues at 25,000 miles then it was one thing after another so he got rid of it! Sorry for all the bad news but I had to tell you. I'd go look and find a Toyota of some kind you cannot go wrong, they run for ever with no maintenance issues. we bought 6 tundras for company they have between 120,000 and 200,000 none of them have had any issues at all! FYI----
    My wife loved hers at first also but its been a nightmare! leaks water real bad in trunk and smells like mold all the time. Burns a ton of oil which is a major problem with all of them its all over the internet! watch the oil closely the light will not come on! Just want you to be aware!! My wife loves driving the car but these problems over shadow the joy!

FYI
    I think people need to start reporting this to the NTHSA. They have a website that you can post complaints.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/

It is worth a shot, if they get enough complaints maybe they will be forced to do something. :confuse: