Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Yukon / Yukon Denali

Comments

• Does anyone know if the message center is suppose to let you know if a passenger door is open or ajar? It works for the cargo door, but I have found myself driving down the road with one of kids not closing their door tight and no message is displayed. I have a 01 Denali (not xl).

Doug
  • No, the message center does NOT notify you of a door ajar (pretty stupid huh?). It will only tell if the cargo door is open.

It really amazes me that GM can put a door ajar light in my '92 bonneville but not put one in on my '01 Yukon XL.

1 Step forward....2 Steps back!

Campo57
  • Thanks for your post. I have a 97 Grand Prix and my trade was a 98 Bonnie. Both have lights to let you know a door is open. I can't believe a $45K truck doesn't have it. I have also noticed it is hard to find the dash/dome light switch at night. There is no light around the dial. I love this truck, but there are certain things I just can believe have been left off.

Doug
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    campo & waitingonyukon,

It really amazes me that GM can put a door ajar light in my '92 bonneville but not put one in on my '01 Yukon XL

Both have lights to let you know a door is open. I can't believe a $45K truck doesn't have it.

You just have to understand how sensitive markets are to pricing - the extra $1.34 it would have cost to include that luxury would certainly have caused their sales to crash! ;-)

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • Hey,

There are 3 relays:
    1) lo beams stay on when you switch on hi beams instead of going off.
    2) fog lights go on WITH the low beams instead of having to manually turn then on.
    3) doors unlock when transmission is put into park instead of unlocking when shutting off the engine. Note, this apparently happens
    from the factory with 2002 models, at least it does on mine.

I've installed the low beam one, so far. Very easy, as long as you can work with tools, can follow directions and have confidence in your abilities.

Do disconnect the ground cable on the battery. The only memory loss will be the clocks and calendar.

Also, and I learned this the hard way, the parking brake shuts off the auto headlights. After the relay install, I thought I killed the auto headlights, so took it out. After reading on the Delphi board about the parking brake, I re installed the relay and it does work fine.

All 3 relays are available as a set from truckautoaccessories.com for $49.99.
    Individually: headlight $14.99 foglight $14.99 door unlock $29.99

There are also a ton of posts on ths subject further back on this board.

Enjoy your new truck!!

Rich
    2k2denali
  • Is there a way of searching for keywords within this board?

It would certainly cut down on questions to topics already asked and answered.

Rich
    2k2denali
    Rich,

You can do a search using the "Board Search" entry field at the top left of this page. Give it a try!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • larry91larry91 Posts: 189
    Please fiqure out how to post the digital pic of your Denali, I would love to see it. My 99 Tahoe had the same color scheme
    Thanks
  • debster72: I also installed all three relays into a 2001 Denali XL from the site below. Took less than 1.5 hours and was quite easy although some of the dash re-installation requires some patience and alittle finesse. You'll figure it out. The rest is extremely easy with very good directions.

All three relays are worth it and I am sure you won't regret this inexpensive upgrade.

<http://www.truckautoaccessories.com/>

• You wrote:
    -------------------------
    You can do a search using the "Board Search" entry field at the top left of this
    page. Give it a try!
    --------------------------
    I know about that, but it only searches for the word in the TITLE, not the message text. Many times discussions tangent off of the title subject, or the titles are vague. The title could be "aftermarket stuff" which ends up being a discussion of wind and rock deflectors, door edge guards, relays, mud flaps, etc. If you searched for "door edge guards" you wouldn't get and hits.
    Oh well,,,,,,,,,

Rich
    2k2denali
    Rich,

I just tried a search for "door edge guards" and it brought me right back to your post! Just to be sure, I did a search on something totally unrelated to this discussion that I know exists on another board -- and it brought be right back here! So much for high-tech!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • Now have about 7000 miles on my 2001 XL Denali.

#1 --The "Service Engine Soon" light comes on and goes off apparently without any reason. Checked the obvious (gas cap, etc.). Guess the dealer is the next stop. Anyone have the same problem?

#2 -- Source for front/rear mud flaps?

#3 -- The passenger seat belt tends to "lock up" with little motion. Solution?

#4 -- Source for recommended hood bug deflector?

Great truck! Just nit-picking items ...

Larry -- NWYukon
  • scifiscifi Posts: 54
    The "Service Engine Soon" light came on as I was test driving a brand new 2002 with the salesman. Came on again with the head GM mechanic on board...he had no answer...good luck with yours!
  • The hatch-back door of my Yukon XL Denali has only "Yukon XL" on it. Can I purchase an
    after-market "Denali" emblem (prefer script) to mount above or after the "Yukon XL" emblem?
  • Nwyukon,

I removed the Yukon XL emblem and replaced it with the factory DENALI emblem that is located on the side of the front doors.

I ordered the emblem from the dealer for about $20.00. It is very easy to put on. The difficulty is in removing the old emblem. IMO, it looks a lot cleaner than the Yukon XL emblem.
  • Has anyone had problems with the auto-setting with the climate control?

Mine works fine for cooling, but the heating is horrible. The thermostat control must be turned all the way up to the 82 mark to get the thing to heat up. It then starts blowing cold air intermittently.

Any fixes for this problem other than having the dealer tear apart the dash?

Thanks for the help.
  • The auto climate control in my XLD works --* IF* I give it enough time. When I'm in a hurry, I go to manual control, and it puts out warm air quicker. Then I go back to auto control and usually have to turn off the air conditioner (it comes on to balance/cool to the original setting). From there everything works normally.

If I just "tough it out" the automatic system will stabilize within about 10 minutes.

Larry - NWYukon
  • mine started doing the same. please let me know if you figure out whats wrong. Thanks, Terry
  • jmatsjmats Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Denali XL. To engage the parking brake, I must put the parking brake pdeal all the way to the floor. Even then it will barely hold the 6000 lb beast on a slight incline. Therefore, all the weight is beared by the automatic transmission clip in park. I took it to the dealer and they "adjusted" it and said, "that is the way it is supposed to be". I have a 2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD and the parking brake works in the standard manner and engages sufficiently to hold the vehicle at about 2/3rds of the way down. In an emergency situation the Denali parking/emergency brake would be useless.
  • jmatsjmats Posts: 2
    Another problem with my 2001 Denali XL is that the head restraints are very loose. I am 6'2" tall. I like to drive with the head restraint all the way up, so it would work as it is designed in case of rear end collision. However, with the Denali, when my rests on the head restraint, it drops into the lower position. The dealer again said, "That is the way that it is". No luck with a complaint from GMC central. The head restraint in my 2001 GMC 2500HD does not do this, partly because there is more friction in raising and lowering the head restraint and also because it is shaped differently.
  • I think that the word " Emergency " Brake does not exist in any of the GM or Chevy Owners Manuals. These are only parking brakes! Not intended to stop a moving car in a emergency condition. I do agree that your parking brake seems to be out of adjustment. Any time that the parking brake pedal goes to the floor is wrong.
    Irv. for Don.
  • larry91larry91 Posts: 189
    My parking brake petal goes waaaaaaaay down, i don't know if it is right, but i suspect that is how they are supposed to operate. Perhaps if it were a pull type brake handle it could be made to "feel" more secure.
    To nyyukon: My seat belt does the same thing, it is annoying.
    Watch for this: I noticed, during a routine cleaning of the rear drivers side door panel, it felt loose. Took it to the dealer and after inspection found hair line cracks in the unit, they ordered a new panel. That is a prime example of GM quality control..
  • andyl2andyl2 Posts: 84
    Mine was adjusted and it still did not hold the vehicle at all. They ended up replacing the partking brake shoes and mechinism in both rear wheels. Now it works properly.
  • Been monitoring this site for the past month & I would like to thank everybody for your thoughts/comments. My wife & I finally purchased our 2001 DXL 2 weeks ago & are thrilled with it so far. I have two questions/comments:

1) Tire chains ... Live in Southern California & like to ski (ski resorts 2 hours away). Anyway, I have noticed in years past that when it starts snowing hard, highway patrol does not let anybody past checkpoints without chains/cables INSTALLED on their car... According to the owners manual, chains/cables are a no-no. Any suggestions?

2) Overall, I was satisfied with my buying experience. ONE THING HOWEVER... I have a feeling I got jacked on the extended waranty. Opted for the 6/75 & was charged $2100. In hindsight, probably wouldn't of done it, but got caught up in the moment. I have a feeling I'm asking for the obvious, but anybody feel I got totally ripped off, or are there other similar experiences out there.

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Chris
    Welcome to the Town Hall, windsurfdxl! When you're not out driving your new pride and joy, we expect to hear all about your experiences!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    There is a time frame for cancelling the extended warranty for a full refund. I would. And if you're really interested in getting one, I'd suggest you shop around and check Major Guard as it's offered by GM. You will probably find a better deal elsewhere.
  • lalanelalane Posts: 39
    Wow, that's price is a bit extreme. I got 7yr/100K for $940. I shopped around thru my credit union, GMC, on-line and found the best price thru the broker (Autoland) I purchased my '01 DXL. I'd suggest you do the same.
  • lalanelalane Posts: 39
    I was told by the dealer that prolong use of the heavy gage chain linked tire chains are not recommended, however, when necessary, the "cable" style tire chains are preferred. I live in So. Cal. and the only snow we see is when we make our annual trips to Mammoth, I will be sure to have it in the DXL. What are you going to do??
  • Wow, I wasn't aware there is the possibility of cancelling the extended warranty for a refund. Does anybody have any ideas of what the time statute is? We bought the beast on 10/21.

As for the tire chains, I've already resigned myself to cables rather than chains. I found a manufacturer - Shur Grip Z - who seem to put out a decent product. Does anybody have any experience with these cables? ... Or anticipate a problem on the DXL?

Oh yeah ... lalane ... I usually head to Mammoth once a year also. I make more frequent trips to Big Bear & the local highway patrol get totally freaked out at the first sign of snow flurries. Way too many people in Southern California who don't have a clue how to drive in the snow.

Thanks!
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Try checking the fine print on your extended warranty contract. You should find it there. When you think about it, you really haven't used it. I'd figure the sooner you act on it the better your chances of a full refund.