Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Luxury Lounge

Comments

• esfesf Member Posts: 1,020
    I agree, I have grown weary of the XF because there's something "not quite right" about its looks and I just don't think I could do with a RWD car in a Chicago winter. You have made me reconsider not considering the S6. I'll test drive it sometime this year.

As feminine as this color is, I saw one in Brilliant Red (or whatever they call that red) and it looked amazing. I also saw a black 997 Turbo with a black S6 behind it. Both had their LEDs on.

'08 BMW X5 4.8i • '06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet
  • lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    The S6 in black pearl overflows with elegance and class.

That it does. Elements which are sorely lacking in the M5 and E63.
    ?

IMHO the M5 and E63 are right up there with the S6 in being some of the sexiest luxury sedans on the road. I especially love the M5's design. It's supremely sinister but also flows perfectly, and can fade into the background if necessary.

'08 BMW X5 4.8i • '06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet
    IMHO the M5 and E63 are right up there with the S6 in being some of the sexiest luxury sedans on the road. I especially love the M5's design. It's supremely sinister but also flows perfectly, and can fade into the background if necessary.

We're probably going to have to agree to disagree on this. I think the M5 just takes the standard car's ugliness to cartoonish levels. The old M5 was a great "sleeper" car like the S6. The new one isn't. To me the AMG body kits just look cheap and tacky, not sexy in any way. There are a few examples where the AMG kits can somewhat "fix" what was a bad design to begin with such as on the CL Class, but cars like the E and SL especially look far worse with the AMG treatment, like they should be on the cover of "Import Tuner" along with a Honda Civic.
  • dhamiltondhamilton Member Posts: 878
    to BMW Sauber for winning the Canadian Grand Prix. First F1 win since the 80's.
    It was really just a matter of time this year, they have had the pace since half way through last year.

LG congrats on the S6. Good to know someone is willing to think outside the box and go with a truly under appreciated car. It does "feel special"

The anti Audi rhetoric goes on and on in here. It's about as factual as a pig flying to the moon, and then being interviewed by Baba Wawa.............
  • jlbljlbl Member Posts: 1,333
    to BMW Sauber for winning the Canadian Grand Prix. First F1 win since the 80's.
    It was really just a matter of time this year, they have had the pace since half way through last year.

;) Yes, it was just about time.

Regards,
    Jose
  • deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    I am currently as confused with the direction I want to take my cars as I've ever been in my whole life.

Currently I know exactly what I want in a few years and that will be a fuel efficient plug-in Toyota or Lexus.

Diesels from the German marques? NO! My driving is primarily in congested city roads. Interestingly the brand new Jetta TDI will get slightly better if not equal mileage of a Toyota Corolla. That to me is a HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT considering the premium prices of diesel.

I have no desire whatsoever for a new performance luxury car since I am ecstatic with my BMW 335i. Best value for the bucks IMO just like your BMW 135i.

My priorities have changed. Now performance plays second fiddle to a far more important consideration which I will discuss in my next post.
    IMO, because it theoretically, in part, takes a small amount of time for executive action to raise fuel prices, but it then takes much more time for the advances in technology and product development to respond.

Agree BUT it is not these so-called greedy oil executives that determines the prices of oil. It is us that determines the price of fuel. It is our lifestyle demands and the vast new demands from freshly minted middle class folks from Emerging markets who desire the same kind of fuel consuming lifestyles that we have here in the western world that is causing these very high fuel prices.

Oil worldwide is plenty but most of that oil is owned and produced by nationalized foreign companies that are run by the dictates of tyrannical governments. Unfortunately western oil companies like Exxon, Chevron, BP and Total have little control in setting petroleum prices since 90 percent of oil is drilled and produce by mostly hostile non-Western oil companies.

It is only us that can prevent national thugs(Venezuala, Russia and various Middle Eastern countries) from prospering on the extraction of dead dinosour corpses beneath their feet . How? Choosing to consume less fuel that's how. Which is exactly why I am reconsidering a lot of things with regards to my lifestyle and that includes not having a fuel inefficient sporty car.
    Congratulations Audiguy!!! An S6 must be a dream to drive.

In a few years when I buy my new plug in hybrid Lexus would it be ok if you grant me permission to use your current forum name.

Thanks ;)
    What's new?

Absoltuely everything! My next desired car will most definitely be a Lexus.

Since now I am officially a member of the Lexus team I can assure everyone that I will not engage in any senseless anti-BMW or anti-Audi banter since I still do love both those marques.
    I've grown to love the E60's look, as long as it is fitted with proper rims. An M5 always catches my eye.

I'll agree to disagree with you on the AMG kits... I personally think they are a perfect combination of class and aggression.

You think the CL-Class is a bad design? :surprise:

"Most definitely?"

What makes you so sure? ;)

You know, I have tried to want a Lexus, because I know they would be so easy to own, but I just can't bring myself to do it. I've thought of looking at a GS350 AWD or even an LS460, but I probably wouldn't be able to live with it, as ironic as that may be. Are you interested in the rumored dedicated hybrid?

• tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    You seem quite sure that you will be driving a Lexus hybrid, and I have the first Honda CR-Z reserved in my name. You and I are getting realistic to the world situation.

Regarding Toyota/Lexus. Let me remind you that I recently owned a Toyota FJ Cruiser, which I admittedly did not keep for very long for a host of reasons. Also, you might recall I recently posted that I would consider purchasing a Toytoa Prius or Lexus-badged Prius if the Honda CR-Z doesn't satisfy. In addition, I posted recently that I would consider purchasing a Lexus IS250 (autotragic) for my daughter if she shows enough interest in the car.

Now, for the good TAGMAN to go THAT far in considering Toyota/Lexus, I'm surprised there haven't been earth tremors. ;)

Anyway... I totally understand your interest in hybrids and Lexus, but let's not rule out that the great manufacturer, known as BMW, builder of some of the most awarded engines in the world, is hard at work preparing to satisfy our fuel economy and performance needs in the years to come. And that Mercedes Benz has developed the DiesOtto engine! So... while you are attempting to keep an open mind, don't also use a blind eye in the process. I'm not so sure we will ever be ready to call you Lexusguy just because you might own an entry-level Lexus! :)

TM
    Congratulations Audiguy!!! An S6 must be a dream to drive.

Hahaha. The S6 is indeed a great car. I think I'll remain LG though, I'd rather not be the AG, at least not until January. I'll leave that to Mr. Mukasey. :)

Besides, if anyone deserves the title of Audiguy, its Mr. 27 (28?) Audis.
    You think the CL-Class is a bad design?

I think the CL's interior, in the right colors, is the best available at any price. The exterior though I find yawn inducing. It's just a big, kind of doughy generic coupe shape. The front end is completely devoid of any character, which is why the AMG tack-ons help. The BMW 6 looks like a catfish, but at least it has character. The CL550 doesn't look like anything. You could put a VW badge on it.
  • 2001gs4302001gs430 Member Posts: 767
    Nice car LG.
    I was so curious about the specs of the US S6, so I went to type www.audi.com; guess what I saw on the screen - Audi.ca (Audi Canada website). I could not believe my eyes, so I put in Audi.com, and again I ended at Audi.ca
    Puzzled for a minute, but then I realized that Audi is trying to pull a fast one on Canadian web surfers IE. redirecting visitors from Canada IPs to Canadian website. Reasons? they don't us stupid Canadians from comparing prices: US S6 72350 (I had to go to my work computer to get this , CAN S6 94000 and our dollars are pretty much at par :mad:
    Just another arrogant german car company. BMW is also very blatant in their attempts to stop Canadian from buying US cars. None of the Japanese luxury car companies have similar practices here.
    Anyway, very impressive specs
    5.2 FSI V8 - 435 HP Tiptronic, 398 lb-ft torque. 0-60mph in 5.1 seconds
    The only number that has me concerned is the rated combined 18 mpg.
  • louisweilouiswei Member Posts: 3,715
    Since now I am officially a member of the Lexus team

Good to have you on board!

I will not engage in any senseless anti-BMW or anti-Audi banter

What are you talking about, we were never engaged in any senseless anti-BMW and anti-Audi debates... ;)
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Here is a car that piqued my interest. It has the in-wheel motor design.

Finally, lighting car company has released the first UK’s electric sportscar, the Ligtning GT. The focus point of this sportscar is not the top speed, but rather its electric power that will deliver 700+ HP from its wheel-mounted electric motors charged by just your home electric plugs. There is no price tag yet, hopefully we can see this car in a realistic version instead of just rendering. With virtually no polluting emissions, this energy-efficient car uses clean technology and will have the ultimate green rating.

This is what I imagine will be the replacement of the ICE design soon enough.

Regards,
    OW
    You know, I have tried to want a Lexus

Anything that you "tried to want" is something that you really don't want... I hated Lexus with a passion before the current L-finesse design theme and the current IS just totally threw me into it. Finding a right car is a lot like finding a right girl, you can't try to make it work but you'll know it once you met the right one.

rumored dedicated hybrid

Although the information is still vague about the Lexus dedicated hybrid but there is nothing "rumor" about it. This car is coming and it's going to be a glorified next-gen Prius with LI batteries.
    Y' know... if this Lexus hybrid model is going to be nice, it will be very hard to get. I am fortunate that the general manager of the local Lexus dealership is a friend of mine. It might not be a bad idea to reserve one of the first ones, as I did with the Honda CR-Z.

If I don't like it, I won't buy it, but if it's very cool, then I'm all set with one of the first ones!

TM
    If I don't like it, I won't buy it, but if it's very cool, then I'm all set with one of the first ones!

Well, the earliest for this car to hit the dealerships will be fall 2009 so you can probably wait until its announcement in next year's Detroit Auto Show to decide whether you want to reserve one or not.

From the information I gathered so far, the dedicated Lexus hybrid and the next-gen Prius will have a bigger engine for better performance and return around 60-65 mpg. Don't expect a plug-in for this gen, at least not for the first couple years. The biggest difference between the Lexus and Toyota model will be the LI batteries.

In all fairness, this is really not my cup of tea but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone if Lexus prices it right. Oh, let's say starting at low $30ks and tops out at around $40k will sound about right...
    I don't know if a glorified next-gen prius would interest me. I test drove a Hybrid Camry with 180 hp and not very impressed with the acceleration. I would definitely love a GS450h or RX400h with LI batteries more. The LI batteries would reduce both weight and space that currently make both of these vehicles less efficient and desirable.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,724
    My 73 y.o. father sold his '05 TL to my brother and purchased a Camry Hybrid. As he purchased a weekend/vacation home in Palm Desert, he wanted a comfy, reliable ride w/outstanding mileage for the trip from LA. He seems to love the fact he is doing round trips (per his reports to me) w/o stopping for gas. Other than that, he hasn't really talked about the rest of the driving experience.

My bro, in turn, just sold the '05 TL and bought his neighbor's just about to be off-lease 3 y.o. Prius. I guess this is to counterbalance his wife's Acura RDX, which replaced their LR3. My brother has never really been much of a "car guy" although he can afford just about any car. He's even debating selling his beloved, yet junky, '72 Buick convertible... The times, they are a changin'...

Me? I trumped 'em both. I bought a new bicycle last year. No more short trips to the bank/post office/Starbucks (not!) in the TL. I just hop on the Gary Fisher...

While I wince in pain with each fill up of Premium, my life has not changed all that much. Lucky me, knock wood. As of this writing, my list of next cars still include funmobiles w/ICE, including BMW, Jag and Audi. Maybe even the new TL? Lexus/Infiniti convertibles? Or, if not ICE, Fisker?!

Hope y'all are well and welcome back to some of those who thought they had the willpower to stay away! This forum adds a bit of fun to my workaday world...

Tagman, Zaino?

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

I test drove a Hybrid Camry with 180 hp and not very impressed with the acceleration

You have been spoiled first by your GS430 and now by your IS350... ;)

The Hybrid Camry actually has a decent pickup compare to the 4-banger version, for average folks who use it as daily drivers that's more than enough. I would think that Lexus are aiming at those type of people but who want more toys, better interior and leather seats with the dedicated hybrid.

However, I do agree with you that a GS450h with LI batteries sounds way more interesting than a glorified Prius. What I really want to see is an IS400h with LI batteries that puts out around 270hp / 350 lb-ft and returns 35 mpg combined with 0-60 in less than 6 seconds. :surprise:

Not happening, I know... :sick:
    You have been spoiled first by your GS430 and now by your IS350...

Yes I know, but my RX350 is more peppy than the HC. I test drove the car because I thought about trading the RX. I could not justify the extra cost of an RX400h over mine at last year gas price :cry:

I am going on a Lexus plant tour tomorrow, I think this is the place they assemble the RX. I hope to get some hints of the new 2010 model.
    Zaino??? Ahh, yes, Zaino.

I bought all the good stuff, but am saving it for the convertible. Only three more weeks!!

I tested a little bit of it and it went on easy, came off fairly easy, but there is a little bit of residual that seems like it won't come off. I don't understand that.

I'll keep you posted.

TM
    The only number that has me concerned is the rated combined 18 mpg.

Yeah, I'm aware that the fuel bills with the S6 are likely to be brutal. I don't drive nearly as much these days, so I'm ok with it. The V-10 powered rocket sled is likely not long for this world, so why not enjoy it while it lasts, right?
    I've put a couple of coats of Z-5 w/ZFX (after Z-7 wash, Z-6 in between) on so far this spring. I'm sure under the constant coating of pollen, my Abyss Blue TL is uber-shiny... :sick:

Has this been an unusually long pollen season?

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

I don't see the pollen any more. Disappeared about a month ago.

I washed and clayed the entire vehicle. On just the hood, I then used AIO, Z-5, and that final treatment of theirs. I didn't do the whole car because I expect to trade up to the convertible in about three weeks. I think maybe I used too much product, I'm not sure, because after it came off, the hood was streaked and the shine was not evenly distributed. I know none of this is harming the car in any way at all, in fact it's good for the paint, so I'm not worried about it. But, I'd like to even out the shine. I might need to add some more layers of Z-5.

So far, it's not as easy as I hoped it would be.

Any suggestions?

TM
    AGREE TO DISAGREE :mad:

I do find the 6 Series design quite striking though :)

'08 BMW X5 4.8i • '06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet
    Anything that you "tried to want" is something that you really don't want... I hated Lexus with a passion before the current L-finesse design theme and the current IS just totally threw me into it. Finding a right car is a lot like finding a right girl, you can't try to make it work but you'll know it once you met the right one.

Agreed, my problem with Lexus is that they don't offer anything very unique. I haven't had a hard time in terms of reliability with my German cars, so that point is null. Perhaps the dedicated hybrid will solve this problem--I'll give it a look.

is that you can't really have your cake and eat it, too. It's either, you get a fast hybrid or you get an efficient hybrid. With diesels, you can have both speed and efficiency, and until that is also a trait in luxury hybrids I see no reason to buy one.

Forgive me if this is a re-hashed argument.

Duet

link title

With diesels, you can have both speed and efficiency, and until that is also a trait in luxury hybrids I see no reason to buy one.

And of course diesels don't lose a huge chunk of power when the battery runs out, they don't take up precious space, they are more effective on the highway rather than all but useless, and while they generally weigh more than gasoline engines, they're still much lighter than full hybrid systems. If diesel was the same price as regular, they'd be fantastic. At $5+ though, diesel no longer makes any sense.
  • clemboclembo Member Posts: 253
    Dada - I Zaino'd my new 335 a few weeks ago, the car is blue and the shine looks great. I'm going to put on a second coat this week.

The pollen has been crazy - I was playing golf Sunday and you could see clouds of pollen being blown from pine trees - terrible.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    ...that final treatment of theirs. ... the hood was streaked and the shine was not evenly distributed. ...

If you're talking about the paint sealant (Z-CS), you used too much. Just buff it off with a towel and be amazed. ;)
    The V-10 powered rocket sled is likely not long for this world, so why not enjoy it while it lasts, right?

Pardon me for thinking this is a large V8. There is nothing wrong to have such a powerful toy in your garage. ;)
    See Dewey's posts for reasons to buy hybrids over diesels.
    Two nice blue cars. Where is the X5, and is it blue as well?
    I've not tried ZAIO, still using my original supply of Z2 and Z5. Did you use ZFX w/the Z5? If not, the Z5 may not have totally cured (the ZFX supposedly exponentially reduces the cure time, allowing multiple coats in a single day). Also, Z6 will usually remove the streaks. Or, as you suggest, you may have used too much. It takes some getting used to to apply properly, it did for me (and I"m still probably not doing it perfectly. I, too, sometimes end up w/streaks, but the Z6 usually resolves that). Not hard to apply/remove but it is time consuming, especially if you're using Z6 between coats.

And, as I believe you're already discovered, you can always call Sal for advice!

And hey, the 135 coupe is your practice canvas! By the time you get the 'vert, you'll be a Zaino pro!

Yeah, the pollen is also killing my eyes, sticking to my contacts.

I'm looking forward to a couple of coats of Z2 on the blue TL as I know that Z5 is not the ultimate shine!

I'm not addicted, I can go back to Black Magic wax anytime I choose... ;)

Z-CS is that good? I'm thinking of goind ZAIO and ZCS when my current supply runs out. But I believe (from what I've read) that for the ultimate shine, Z2 pro is still the man...

Just when it seems American SUVs and pickup trucks are in full retreat, the Germans are slugging it out in the premium segment. Since 2003 BMW took control of the segment, which is 7 percent at 395,458 units last year, selling 66,435 X3s and 52,466 X5s in Europe, and now the Mercedes GLK and Audi Q5 are set to hit the market this autumn.

According to Automotive News, a BMW spokesman said the company feels more threatened by Mercedes' GLK class than Audi's Q5.

"A typical BMW customer is not going to move down to a Q5. There is more chance that they would go for something like a GLK. Just because Audi will price the car in the premium segment does not make it a premium vehicle," the spokesman said.

An Audi spokesman said: "Audi makes premium cars so the Q5 is a premium SUV. We will see what the customers have to say."

Set to debut before the end of the year are two special edition X3 models containing new technologies. Then in 2010 the second generation X3 would make its debut.

Source: World Car Fans

I love when BMW disses Audi and Audi fights back, because that means I don't have to do any work... :blush: :P ;)
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    Yeah, Z-CS is pretty good. Z2 is still fantastic, but Z8 (Grand Finale) is still the ultimate! I just had occasion to use Z-PC on a spot on my rear fascia the other day, and it actually works great for removing scratches and surface blemishes in the clearcoat.
  • dhamiltondhamilton Member Posts: 878
    I just got back [last week] from Zehuantenao [spelling] and I got some kind of pollen allergy going, that knocked me out for the last day, and a half there, and then the following week at home [work]

The craziest thing was, we got up one morning and we were watching the news. They said that the Mexican Navy was hunting sharks all that week, due to a rash of attacks. Walking the 10 yards to the beach from our cabana [tough life I know] we see 2 Mexican Navy battleships in our little cove.....hunting sharks.

Other than that, and being sick, the week was fantastic.......
    Set to debut before the end of the year are two special edition X3 models containing new technologies. Then in 2010 the second generation X3 would make its debut.

Hmmm. Interesting. We've still got a small interest in a downsized SUV, but don't know if the "special edition" would spark it enough. There's always that GLK, or the all-new 2010/2011 X3 to consider... but still more interested in the upcoming hybrid alternatives.

TM
  • bmlexusbmlexus Member Posts: 755
    Agreed, my problem with Lexus is that they don't offer anything very unique.

Same problem here.
    I am beginning to feel I like the lexus
    (brand quality reliability electronics ) more then the cars. Its soo plain and simple nothing unique :(

(I am impressed with japanese electronics and cars built in japan)
    don't even like cars, but that thing is cool-looking," says a middle-aged man eyeing our silver xDrive35i — the official trim designation of the base model of the X6 with its twin-turbo inline-6 engine. His use of the phrase "that thing" sums up just how hard it is to pin a name on this crossbred BMW

But how would he know? He doesn't even like cars. What about someone who appreciates a purposeful and classic design

We get our answer when a brand-new Porsche 911 Carrera S Cabriolet pulls alongside and its driver motions for us to roll down our window. Would he call out something rude about the X6; suggest it's an overweight SUV pretending to be a sport sedan?

Not quite.

"Man, that thing is tough-looking," he shouts, once again confirming both the X6's butch stance and its unrecognizable configuration. "I've seen pictures, but it's so much better in person. Wanna trade?"

Yes, yes we do, but he takes off before we can make the deal of the century. The message is clear: The 2008 BMW X6 gets attention from those who might not otherwise give SUVs a second look. And that's pretty much the whole point

911 driver likes the x6 :surprise:
    Since you watch F1 did you know Nico Rosberg drives a RS4. only 1 car for a F1 driver and is considering buying a FIAT :blush:

BTW It was nice seeing bmw win, been tired of ferrari and mercedes winning since 2007.
    The S6 is indeed very fast, but the grip provided by AWD always makes you feel confident behind the wheel. It can't do the sports car thing like the M5 can, but the S6 is much better to drive in day to day traffic, where the M5 becomes jerky and annoying. You also don't get ridiculous computer overload. You just put it in S, and the car takes care of the rest.

U seem excited good luck.