Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Luxury Lounge

Comments

• louisweilouiswei Posts: 3,717
    If I don't like it, I won't buy it, but if it's very cool, then I'm all set with one of the first ones!

Well, the earliest for this car to hit the dealerships will be fall 2009 so you can probably wait until its announcement in next year's Detroit Auto Show to decide whether you want to reserve one or not.

From the information I gathered so far, the dedicated Lexus hybrid and the next-gen Prius will have a bigger engine for better performance and return around 60-65 mpg. Don't expect a plug-in for this gen, at least not for the first couple years. The biggest difference between the Lexus and Toyota model will be the LI batteries.

In all fairness, this is really not my cup of tea but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone if Lexus prices it right. Oh, let's say starting at low $30ks and tops out at around $40k will sound about right...
  • 2001gs4302001gs430 Posts: 767
    I don't know if a glorified next-gen prius would interest me. I test drove a Hybrid Camry with 180 hp and not very impressed with the acceleration. I would definitely love a GS450h or RX400h with LI batteries more. The LI batteries would reduce both weight and space that currently make both of these vehicles less efficient and desirable.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,689
    My 73 y.o. father sold his '05 TL to my brother and purchased a Camry Hybrid. As he purchased a weekend/vacation home in Palm Desert, he wanted a comfy, reliable ride w/outstanding mileage for the trip from LA. He seems to love the fact he is doing round trips (per his reports to me) w/o stopping for gas. Other than that, he hasn't really talked about the rest of the driving experience.

My bro, in turn, just sold the '05 TL and bought his neighbor's just about to be off-lease 3 y.o. Prius. I guess this is to counterbalance his wife's Acura RDX, which replaced their LR3. My brother has never really been much of a "car guy" although he can afford just about any car. He's even debating selling his beloved, yet junky, '72 Buick convertible... The times, they are a changin'...

Me? I trumped 'em both. I bought a new bicycle last year. No more short trips to the bank/post office/Starbucks (not!) in the TL. I just hop on the Gary Fisher...

While I wince in pain with each fill up of Premium, my life has not changed all that much. Lucky me, knock wood. As of this writing, my list of next cars still include funmobiles w/ICE, including BMW, Jag and Audi. Maybe even the new TL? Lexus/Infiniti convertibles? Or, if not ICE, Fisker?!

Hope y'all are well and welcome back to some of those who thought they had the willpower to stay away! This forum adds a bit of fun to my workaday world...

Tagman, Zaino?

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

I test drove a Hybrid Camry with 180 hp and not very impressed with the acceleration

You have been spoiled first by your GS430 and now by your IS350... ;)

The Hybrid Camry actually has a decent pickup compare to the 4-banger version, for average folks who use it as daily drivers that's more than enough. I would think that Lexus are aiming at those type of people but who want more toys, better interior and leather seats with the dedicated hybrid.

However, I do agree with you that a GS450h with LI batteries sounds way more interesting than a glorified Prius. What I really want to see is an IS400h with LI batteries that puts out around 270hp / 350 lb-ft and returns 35 mpg combined with 0-60 in less than 6 seconds. :surprise:

Not happening, I know... :sick:
    You have been spoiled first by your GS430 and now by your IS350...

Yes I know, but my RX350 is more peppy than the HC. I test drove the car because I thought about trading the RX. I could not justify the extra cost of an RX400h over mine at last year gas price :cry:

I am going on a Lexus plant tour tomorrow, I think this is the place they assemble the RX. I hope to get some hints of the new 2010 model.
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    Zaino??? Ahh, yes, Zaino.

I bought all the good stuff, but am saving it for the convertible. Only three more weeks!!

I tested a little bit of it and it went on easy, came off fairly easy, but there is a little bit of residual that seems like it won't come off. I don't understand that.

I'll keep you posted.

TM
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    The only number that has me concerned is the rated combined 18 mpg.

Yeah, I'm aware that the fuel bills with the S6 are likely to be brutal. I don't drive nearly as much these days, so I'm ok with it. The V-10 powered rocket sled is likely not long for this world, so why not enjoy it while it lasts, right?
    I've put a couple of coats of Z-5 w/ZFX (after Z-7 wash, Z-6 in between) on so far this spring. I'm sure under the constant coating of pollen, my Abyss Blue TL is uber-shiny... :sick:

Has this been an unusually long pollen season?

I don't see the pollen any more. Disappeared about a month ago.

I washed and clayed the entire vehicle. On just the hood, I then used AIO, Z-5, and that final treatment of theirs. I didn't do the whole car because I expect to trade up to the convertible in about three weeks. I think maybe I used too much product, I'm not sure, because after it came off, the hood was streaked and the shine was not evenly distributed. I know none of this is harming the car in any way at all, in fact it's good for the paint, so I'm not worried about it. But, I'd like to even out the shine. I might need to add some more layers of Z-5.

So far, it's not as easy as I hoped it would be.

Any suggestions?

TM
  • esfesf Posts: 1,020
    AGREE TO DISAGREE :mad:

I do find the 6 Series design quite striking though :)

'08 BMW X5 4.8i • '06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet
    Anything that you "tried to want" is something that you really don't want... I hated Lexus with a passion before the current L-finesse design theme and the current IS just totally threw me into it. Finding a right car is a lot like finding a right girl, you can't try to make it work but you'll know it once you met the right one.

Agreed, my problem with Lexus is that they don't offer anything very unique. I haven't had a hard time in terms of reliability with my German cars, so that point is null. Perhaps the dedicated hybrid will solve this problem--I'll give it a look.

'08 BMW X5 4.8i • '06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet
    is that you can't really have your cake and eat it, too. It's either, you get a fast hybrid or you get an efficient hybrid. With diesels, you can have both speed and efficiency, and until that is also a trait in luxury hybrids I see no reason to buy one.

Forgive me if this is a re-hashed argument.

'08 BMW X5 4.8i • '06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet
    Duet

link title

'08 BMW X5 4.8i • '06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    With diesels, you can have both speed and efficiency, and until that is also a trait in luxury hybrids I see no reason to buy one.

And of course diesels don't lose a huge chunk of power when the battery runs out, they don't take up precious space, they are more effective on the highway rather than all but useless, and while they generally weigh more than gasoline engines, they're still much lighter than full hybrid systems. If diesel was the same price as regular, they'd be fantastic. At $5+ though, diesel no longer makes any sense.
  • clemboclembo Posts: 253
    Dada - I Zaino'd my new 335 a few weeks ago, the car is blue and the shine looks great. I'm going to put on a second coat this week.

The pollen has been crazy - I was playing golf Sunday and you could see clouds of pollen being blown from pine trees - terrible.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    ...that final treatment of theirs. ... the hood was streaked and the shine was not evenly distributed. ...

If you're talking about the paint sealant (Z-CS), you used too much. Just buff it off with a towel and be amazed. ;)
    The V-10 powered rocket sled is likely not long for this world, so why not enjoy it while it lasts, right?

Pardon me for thinking this is a large V8. There is nothing wrong to have such a powerful toy in your garage. ;)
    See Dewey's posts for reasons to buy hybrids over diesels.
    Two nice blue cars. Where is the X5, and is it blue as well?
    I've not tried ZAIO, still using my original supply of Z2 and Z5. Did you use ZFX w/the Z5? If not, the Z5 may not have totally cured (the ZFX supposedly exponentially reduces the cure time, allowing multiple coats in a single day). Also, Z6 will usually remove the streaks. Or, as you suggest, you may have used too much. It takes some getting used to to apply properly, it did for me (and I"m still probably not doing it perfectly. I, too, sometimes end up w/streaks, but the Z6 usually resolves that). Not hard to apply/remove but it is time consuming, especially if you're using Z6 between coats.

And, as I believe you're already discovered, you can always call Sal for advice!

And hey, the 135 coupe is your practice canvas! By the time you get the 'vert, you'll be a Zaino pro!

Yeah, the pollen is also killing my eyes, sticking to my contacts.

I'm looking forward to a couple of coats of Z2 on the blue TL as I know that Z5 is not the ultimate shine!

I'm not addicted, I can go back to Black Magic wax anytime I choose... ;)

Z-CS is that good? I'm thinking of goind ZAIO and ZCS when my current supply runs out. But I believe (from what I've read) that for the ultimate shine, Z2 pro is still the man...

Just when it seems American SUVs and pickup trucks are in full retreat, the Germans are slugging it out in the premium segment. Since 2003 BMW took control of the segment, which is 7 percent at 395,458 units last year, selling 66,435 X3s and 52,466 X5s in Europe, and now the Mercedes GLK and Audi Q5 are set to hit the market this autumn.

According to Automotive News, a BMW spokesman said the company feels more threatened by Mercedes' GLK class than Audi's Q5.

"A typical BMW customer is not going to move down to a Q5. There is more chance that they would go for something like a GLK. Just because Audi will price the car in the premium segment does not make it a premium vehicle," the spokesman said.

An Audi spokesman said: "Audi makes premium cars so the Q5 is a premium SUV. We will see what the customers have to say."

Set to debut before the end of the year are two special edition X3 models containing new technologies. Then in 2010 the second generation X3 would make its debut.

Source: World Car Fans

I love when BMW disses Audi and Audi fights back, because that means I don't have to do any work... :blush: :P ;)
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    Yeah, Z-CS is pretty good. Z2 is still fantastic, but Z8 (Grand Finale) is still the ultimate! I just had occasion to use Z-PC on a spot on my rear fascia the other day, and it actually works great for removing scratches and surface blemishes in the clearcoat.
  • dhamiltondhamilton Posts: 873
    I just got back [last week] from Zehuantenao [spelling] and I got some kind of pollen allergy going, that knocked me out for the last day, and a half there, and then the following week at home [work]

The craziest thing was, we got up one morning and we were watching the news. They said that the Mexican Navy was hunting sharks all that week, due to a rash of attacks. Walking the 10 yards to the beach from our cabana [tough life I know] we see 2 Mexican Navy battleships in our little cove.....hunting sharks.

Other than that, and being sick, the week was fantastic.......
    Set to debut before the end of the year are two special edition X3 models containing new technologies. Then in 2010 the second generation X3 would make its debut.

Hmmm. Interesting. We've still got a small interest in a downsized SUV, but don't know if the "special edition" would spark it enough. There's always that GLK, or the all-new 2010/2011 X3 to consider... but still more interested in the upcoming hybrid alternatives.

TM
  • bmlexusbmlexus Posts: 755
    Agreed, my problem with Lexus is that they don't offer anything very unique.

Same problem here.
    I am beginning to feel I like the lexus
    (brand quality reliability electronics ) more then the cars. Its soo plain and simple nothing unique :(

(I am impressed with japanese electronics and cars built in japan)
    don't even like cars, but that thing is cool-looking," says a middle-aged man eyeing our silver xDrive35i — the official trim designation of the base model of the X6 with its twin-turbo inline-6 engine. His use of the phrase "that thing" sums up just how hard it is to pin a name on this crossbred BMW

But how would he know? He doesn't even like cars. What about someone who appreciates a purposeful and classic design

We get our answer when a brand-new Porsche 911 Carrera S Cabriolet pulls alongside and its driver motions for us to roll down our window. Would he call out something rude about the X6; suggest it's an overweight SUV pretending to be a sport sedan?

Not quite.

"Man, that thing is tough-looking," he shouts, once again confirming both the X6's butch stance and its unrecognizable configuration. "I've seen pictures, but it's so much better in person. Wanna trade?"

Yes, yes we do, but he takes off before we can make the deal of the century. The message is clear: The 2008 BMW X6 gets attention from those who might not otherwise give SUVs a second look. And that's pretty much the whole point

911 driver likes the x6 :surprise:
    Since you watch F1 did you know Nico Rosberg drives a RS4. only 1 car for a F1 driver and is considering buying a FIAT :blush:

BTW It was nice seeing bmw win, been tired of ferrari and mercedes winning since 2007.
    The S6 is indeed very fast, but the grip provided by AWD always makes you feel confident behind the wheel. It can't do the sports car thing like the M5 can, but the S6 is much better to drive in day to day traffic, where the M5 becomes jerky and annoying. You also don't get ridiculous computer overload. You just put it in S, and the car takes care of the rest.

U seem excited good luck.