Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Luxury Lounge

Comments

• tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    ... I find Peugeot's 308 RCZ coupe to be very interesting...

Interesting indeed. From the looks of those ultra-carved body lines, it would certainly make for a good Hot Wheels car. ;)

TM
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    This car is slated to bow in 2010 but pricing seems to be an issue. The so called "budget" image might dilute the brand if they price it between $140 - $160K!

I can live with this rplacing my dream F430! ;)

Regards,
    OW
  • lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    This car is slated to bow in 2010 but pricing seems to be an issue. The so called "budget" image might dilute the brand if they price it between $140 - $160K!

What is going on with Ferrari and Pininfarina lately? Both this and the California are just not good looking cars. Both Alfa and Maserati are really on their game, but Ferrari isn't.
    Whoa, that's nice. My chief complaint? I really prefer the multiple rear lights instead of the single light.

And... in an extremely rare situation for me, I think I actually prefer the coupe on this one.

I don't know if anyone else's eye catches this, but the coupe has a subtle Cayman-esque hint to the rear side profile.

Sorry, LG... it's not Ferrari's best, but it's still a gorgeous car.

TM
  • jlbljlbl Member Posts: 1,333
    Peugeot is struggling to change its 'car of the notary/magistrate' classic image to one much more appealing by adding imaginative extravagance. Peugeot/Citroen/Nissan engines are not bad, in particular the diesel ones. They are currently developing a good line of small diesels in collaboration with BMW; they are winners at Le Mans, after all.

In changing its image Peugeot is usually wrong, showing fish-wildly-open-mouths and bulky chassis (link title).
    Yet, as you does, I find Peugeot's 308 RCZ coupe to be very interesting. She belongs to the sort of cumulative round lines design, with high hipes, which is now fashionable. Following with animal analogies, I see a resemblance of the 308 RCZ to one of these Chinese (or are they Japanese?) not too big dogs that are shockingly skinny, strong, and looking like friendlier 'bulldogs'.

I use here the pics you posted, to refresh the memory,

Regards,
    Jose
  • clemboclembo Member Posts: 253
    I agree Tag, when I first saw the picture of the coupe I thought Cayman as well. Not just the rear but the roof has the same bubble type of design as well.

As much as a Ferrari around $150K would appeal to alot of us I still can't see buying one and driving it as hard as you can with an actual Cayman, or similar Porsche. As you know a great benefit of owning a Porsche is having the chance to track it at the PCA events without any serious modifcations. It would be hard to imagine driving a Ferrari as hard as guys push their Porsches at these track days.

PS - Someone at the airport scraped my 335 Cab with a white car or truck and I have a mees on the left front to fix. :sick: I hope your 135 Cab is fairing better.
    Well, I want 4 160 HP electric motors driving the wheels at the corners! Damned the anemic Hybrids

Those anemic hybrids will be getting much more powerful, starting with the soon-to-be-released next generation Prius, followed by the more powerful Lexus variant. And, besides, Lexus already offers a couple of powerful hybrids.

However, if it's 4 160 HP electric motors you want... here ya go with 4 175 HP motors, for a total of 700 HP!!... :surprise: ...

Here's a link with good info and many more pics of the LIGHTNING GT...

700 HP Lightning GT Info

Also, here's a terrific video of the vehicle's unveiling... (caution: 9 minutes long, but worth it.)

Lightning GT video

700 HP!! Recharges in only 10 minutes??!! :surprise:

Careful what you wish for. ;)

TM
    Someone at the airport scraped my 335 Cab with a white car or truck and I have a mess on the left front to fix. I hope your 135 Cab is fairing better.

Yikes. That would make me sick. So sorry to hear that.

Yeah, my 135i is doing great, thanks. However, I almost caused my own fender bender yesterday, but thankfully I missed hitting the other guy by all of one inch! My fault, too... I simply wasn't paying attention as I should have been. I am soooooo grateful nothing happened.

I hope you get that gorgeous car of yours fixed real soon! :)

TM
    TM, unbelievable! You are real good! Thanks for this information. It must be getting close to Christmas! My lease runs out at 12:00 AM on Dec. 31st so this is my top choice for my next ride! :D

I have much apprehension on the battery claims. Why would this be possible for such a small company and not for GM or Toyota?? The Volt needs much longer to charge and only goes 40 miles...billions will be spent for the Volt.

Hmm....something smells in Smoke Town! ;)

Regards,
    OW
    TM, unbelievable! You are real good! Thanks for this information.

:blush:

I have much apprehension on the battery claims. Why would this be possible for such a small company and not for GM or Toyota?? The Volt needs much longer to charge and only goes 40 miles...billions will be spent for the Volt.

The answer on the batteries may have something to do with Lightning's committment to nano technology batteries, which IIRC is quite a leap past lithium ion. Almost everyone else seems to be banking on lithium ion.

The price of nano batteries could be rather nasty in the beginning, but I'd bet large that nano batteries ARE the future battery technology.

Anyway, it's definately a dream car... one for all of our Christmas lists. :D

TM
  • bmlexusbmlexus Member Posts: 755
    BMW said today that it is recalling 200,000 vehicles due to a problem with the front passenger air bag. The German automaker said that the air bag may not deploy in a crash.

The recall involves 2006 BMW 3-Series, 2004-2006 5-Series and the 2004-2006 X3 SUV. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said that cracks could develop in the seat detection mat that could lead the front passenger air bags to be deactivated. The problem would also turn on the the passenger air-bag light.

BMW said that not accidents or injuries have been reported.

link title
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,723
    What's wrong with this picture?

Oh, those horrible rubber bumpers! Que lastima!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

I'm quite certain those front-mounted guns could me modified.

With only 8,050 miles... and, a price tag of a mere $89K!

However, dada, I must admit, it is exquisite! image

Stuart Carpenter has quite an interesting collection.

TM
  • m4d_cowm4d_cow Member Posts: 1,491
    The front end looks too much like a combination between a Cayman and a Lotus Elise. Not exactly a great looking model, but still attractive.

Jose, I never heard of an R6. Is that a new model?

Never heard of the brand Lightning before. But it looks much like a TVR. I dont like all models but I love the Tuscan2, definitely a unique head turner, and its a real beast to handle (tried it once). I recommend trying it if you get the chance.

For the 1st time I saw an e46 3coupe parked next to the e90 coupe, the old one looks much better proportioned, whereas the new one looks too long. I guess the 3 will be off the list soon.....
    Thanks for the advice on M3, will check it out. Anything else?
    Oh, those horrible rubber bumpers! Que lastima!

The E-type by the end was a sad shadow of its former self. If you're going to buy an E-type, you get the Series I, that's all there is to it. The most valuable E-types are the early flat-floors, but they are also the worst to drive. The sweet spot is the '64-'67 4.2L version with the proper gearbox.
    I had no idea Nissan was working on a hybrid G (with Li-ION batteries, no less). Supposedly it will deliver 40% better mileage than the regular G, with more power to boot. It will be very interesting to see if this succeeds where the HAH and GS450h failed. Link
    BMW had recalled 200,000 over an airbag issue and no1 cares :surprise: :sick:
    I had a air bag/seat belt sensor problem at 3,000 miles in my '06 330xi. They had to change the entire wiring harness to the seat belt/air bag inside the steering column!

Hope mine is not recalled AGAIN! :mad:

4 months 13 days left to go...

Regards,
    OW
    When a recall is made as a preventative measure, I actually increase my respect for the company! That's being responsible and not letting money interfere with doing the right thing.

In contrast, when a manufacturer's vehicles are failing, and people are getting injured and killed, but the manufacturer is reluctant to recall the defective vehicle, THAT's when I care.

We've witnessed those shameful days in history out of Detroit.

BMW recognizes that there is a potential problem. NO ONE has gotten injured. I salute BMW for doing the right thing just to make sure that their cars are safe and that they don't put their driver's at any risk! It's nice to know that BMW isn't like some of the other manufacturers that have known about safety issues and instead of stepping to the plate before something happens, they literally were hush hush, pretending that there was no problem... Even after people were killed... claiming that it was driver error, and all sorts of shameful greedy and wreckless methods of evading their responsibility.

Yes, you are right... I don't care about this. I would, however, care if they did NOT recall the vehicles.

Man, it feels good owning a car from a company that puts safety and responsibility ahead of profits! My BMW drives like a dream. What a great company BMW is for making such awesome cars... and standing by them, too!

TM
  • louisweilouiswei Member Posts: 3,715
    Well said TM!

I am going to save this post because all I have to do is change 'BMW' to 'Lexus' or 'Toyota' then I can use it for all the future Toyota/Lexus recall posts.

:P
    Jose, I never heard of an R6. Is that a new model?

Hi m4d_cow, I meant to write S6.

R6 is short name for RS 6 Avant we loosely use over here. My brain is becoming unreliable :mad: ; I haven't realized my mistake until the third time I've read your question.

Regards,
    Jose

Edit:
    Anything else?
    3-Series coupe rear seats have enough room for L-size adults to travel with comfort along at least 300 miles (as tested by me). I considered that when choosing the coupe as my current car.
    I hope BMW buys Ford and GM! Then, I won't hit the walls when making a high-speed maneuver in the current products out of these companies!

Regards,
    OW
    The recall is scheduled to begin in late September.

Dealers will rework the front passenger's-seat sensor mat so that external force application to the seat does not cause a crack to the mat. BMW will also extend the warranty on the affected vehicles to 10 years from first registration without any mileage limit, NHTSA said. The warranty extension covers the 2006 BMW 6 Series and 3 Series with the standard seat, the 2004-05 BMW Z4, the 2004-06 BMW 7 Series, the 2006 BMW X5 and the 2004-06 BMW 5 Series with the comfort seat. Faulty occupant detection mats in these vehicles will be replaced for free.

Must of got some GM sensor mats in 04 -06!! ;)

Regards,
    OW
    TM, I fully agree with your comments on BMW recall.

That said, I believe it is still better not to have to recall. That said, I wonder whether my former 5-Series had a defective steering-wheel airbag. In any case, it worked wonderfully, together with the remaining bags, belts and safety chassis construction to avoid injuries to myself and my family when that car crashed against the ward rails cruising in the highway at 75 miles per hour. If the car had a defective sensor, it had to have still enough sensitivity.

Anecdotal as it might be (among the thousands of 5-Series items released that year), it has indeed been relevant for my buying another BMW, even if this has been another model car.

Regards,
    Jose
    Well said TM!

I am going to save this post because all I have to do is change 'BMW' to 'Lexus' or 'Toyota' then I can use it for all the future Toyota/Lexus recall posts. :P

LOL. OK, Lou, good one.

But just to be clear, and take this another step further, though, I see some different scenarios here...

Briefly...

1. Manufacturer discovers a potential defect, no failure has occurred, manufacturer makes recall.
    2. Manufacturer discovers a potential defect, no failure has occurred, manufacturer makes NO recall.
    3. Failures have in fact occurred, no injuries or deaths, manufacturer makes recall.
    4. Failures have in fact occurred, no injuries or deaths, manufacturer makes NO recall.
    5. Failures have in fact occurred, injury(ies) or death(s) has occurred, manufacturer makes recall.
    6. Failures have in fact occurred, injury(ies) or death(s) has occurred, manufacturer makes NO recall.

I haven't placed these scenarios in order of what I would consider best to worst behavior by the manufacturer, but it's clear to me that it's generally best for a manufacturer to respond as quickly as possible to effectively implemement a genuine solution/correction to the problem.

It is also my belief that not only is rapid containment (genuine correction/solution) of the issue important, but that it is also helpful to be prepared with effective public relations as well, as a means to minimize any collateral damage that could occur to the company's image.

:)

TM
    TM, I fully agree with your comments on BMW recall. That said, I believe it is still better not to have to recall.

True. But, the criteria for when to recall and not to recall is discretionary at the earliest stages, and the manufacturer doesn't HAVE to recall, which appears better, as you said. But it's awesome when the manufacturer willingly does so anyway, knowing that it is the right thing to do, and knowing that the publicity can be negative... and yet still conducts the recall inspite of everything. Talk about taking the high road!!

I wonder whether my former 5-Series had a defective steering-wheel airbag. In any case, it worked wonderfully, together with the remaining bags, belts and safety chassis construction to avoid injuries to myself and my family when that car crashed against the ward rails cruising in the highway at 75 miles per hour.

Having a real-life circumstance like you did, is testimony to what is necessary to make these vehicles safe.

You could not be more grateful that the safety systems in the fateful BMW functioned well enough during the accident to spare you and your loved ones tragic injury.

Anecdotal as it might be (among the thousands of 5-Series items released that year), it has indeed been relevant for my buying another BMW, even if this has been another model car.

Of course you would buy another BMW!!! ;)

TM
    I hope BMW buys Ford and GM! Then, I won't hit the walls when making a high-speed maneuver in the current products out of these companies!

What? You expect a car to go where you point it? ;)

TM
    Reminds me of the Tylenol recall...J&J made the best moral decision despite the huge projected cost...which paid back 100-fold.

Johnson & Johnson was praised by the media at the time for its handling of the incident. While at the time of the scare the market share of Tylenol collapsed from 35% to 8%, it rebounded in less than a year, a move credited to J&J's prompt and aggressive reaction. In November it reintroduced capsules, but in a new, triple-sealed package, coupled with heavy price promotions, and within several years Tylenol had become the most popular over-the-counter analgesic in the US.

Regards,
    OW
    You can point a BMW in many ways and it gets you through...the avoidance maneuver is achieved because the car becomes a part of you...not a part of the other car or other obstacle!

Regards,
    OW
  • anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    Thinking back to the glory years af American cars, I never heard of a recall until maybe twenty years ago, and that was usually a Ford for seatbelt issues or something.....Back in those days almost all of the cars I owned worked as I was accustomed to....I remember the manufacturers stock had high dividend payouts and low p/e ratios.....Probably back then with the Union power growing, they should have cut back on the payout, and done more R/D....As I have been exposed to the heavy equipment and big trucks lately, I admire what American companies offer in that line...Man they are sturdy and made to go a long hard road, and they do...An important consideration in purchasing such equipment is the financial soundness of the company, as you will need parts ten or twenty years down the road...John Deere, and Caterpillar, are two fine companies, with well designed and built equipment.....Too bad they only specialize it that segment, as I would be interested in what they designed in a car :) American products are very good in certain segments Tony
    Hi Tony!
    I thought that a large portion of John Deere equipment is imported. What about Cat?

TM
    I think all the companies have world wide operations.....In fact imo everything is so fragmented I can`t really make `hide nor hare` out of it all.....One thing I do know, is that the Caterpillar engine---a monster six cylander devil that was six feet long---had to have a new cam shaft....I was given a choice--an American turned one, or a Japenese one...The American one was priced like twelve thousand, and the Japenese seven thousand...This was say fifteen years ago, and my first actual brush with foreign vs domestic....Both were identical, same warranty etc....I went Japenese, and felt badly about it....Tony
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    Tag, for this price you want logic, too???
    Is supposed to be a good thing imo, as BMW takes responsibility for mistakes they made, and BEFORE any harm occured. Hello, Ford? Are you listening?

You wont say "its better not to recall" when you get the malfunctional sensors and get involved in an accident.
    I always go for style, performance and comfort come next.

I actually find Escalades looking decent (the new grille looks best on it). There's an offer here for 07 Blue Escalade, fully loaded (sans 22" wheels), 10400 miles for $39k. At first I thought, wow, but then I reminded myself on how crappy the interior (poor fit-finish and terrible room for its size), and how overly large it is...

I spent a whole day yesterday testing out different cars. Jag XK 1st, love performance and interior materials, surprisingly-still-acceptable backseat, and good CPO deals, but wasnt too impressed by the fit-finish (how come there's a wide gap between the panels? enough for a pinky finger to squeeze in)
    The 911 came next, and curse you TM :D I was soo darn close to falling in love with it. everything about it is good save for the totally useless backseat. The real shocker was the sticker, $57k for a mildly equipped CPO "06.
    Next was the e46 M3, brutally raw to say the least. I was amazed by the performance and decent interior, but its so noisy inside and when I listened to the stereo.... aww crap....
    The quest for the right car continues...
    I always go for style, performance and comfort come next.

I go for comfort first then style and last performance.

I myself went to check out some cars.

1st Infiniti FX and EX all I can say is I won't look at Infiniti again for a while just not my thing.

2nd merc ML I felt nothing special about the car especially the interior.

3rd. Cayenne Better than the ML and FX but again the interior is not so special and the tiny navigation screen :blush:

I did look at the S class which my friend is considering buying very comfortable and safe, but the price oh well lets just not talk about it ;)
    I suspect the seed has been planted --911-- It is such a fine car, for a young man, so you should make a hard effort to get one.....I personally think an 04 05 or 06 wihout a large engine would give you alot of pleasure...TM probably knows some numbers he could share with you, that would either blow you out the water or give some hope to get one..A Porsche 911 is a special car worth a big effort to acquire...Tony
    I have to agree with you Tony... the Porsche 911 is indeed a special car. IMO, it has no rival. It doesn't matter that the R8 is out there or the GT-R. They are terrific in their own right. The Porsche 911 is an icon and a legend in its own time... and exponentially so.

I loved my first one more than I could ever express. My current one will be difficult to part with, and I am not selling it because of any issues with the car, but I have more personal reasons for doing so, and I will certainly miss the car. As I posted recently, these economic times really make me to question the ownership of my Porsche and Jag at this time, and I will instead enjoy the 135i as my daily driver.

I am so fortunate to have the 135i, or else I don't know what I would do to have a car with tons of fun factor. I realize this is near impossible to explain, but driving the 135i convertible makes it one of my favorite vehicles of all time, regardless of price. So.. it makes selling the Porsche 911 less painful.

To Robert (M4D_COW), I say if you have never owned a Porsche 911, you should consider when in your life you will own one. It may not be for everyone, but you already know that you have connected with the car. Heck with the back seats. They'll definately help out in those emergency moments, but it's still a two-seater.

If the Porsche 911 is out of the picture, I will continue to recommend the BMW 135i. Not perfect, but WOW, what a great package. And it's not just me saying this. Nearly every 135i owner reports the same thing as I do... that the car's driving dynamics are simply amazing and the vehicle's fun factor is off the scale.

But, try for the 911 first.

TM
    Tag, you are a good guy

When Jose was in his accident, I try and contribute from my heart, and try and put myself in the other person`s shoes....Things have worked out for him well, and we have gotten to go on many wonderful trips in Spain..,,This is what I am trying to suggest to Mr md4cow....There is absolutely nothing wrong with a Porsche that has been owned by another person, and he can get one if he works at it....A Porsche is such a special car , that -as you say- one can`t describe it...It has to be experienced....I remember trying to buy a second one once, and the salespeople try and take such advantage of you, that you`l just walk off.....This should be expected but there are alot of them out there, and with work he can get one.....May be the best chance in his life, and imo he should take it.....Nothing good in life is easy to get....Tony
    This is what I am trying to suggest to Mr md4cow....There is absolutely nothing wrong with a Porsche that has been owned by another person, and he can get one if he works at it.

Oh, gosh yes. The economy right now has paved the way for some terrific used car deals out there. I have no doubt that with some effort, a mint Porsche 911 could be acquired for a terrific price... and certainly would save our friend, Mr. m4dcow, an incredible amount of money when compared to a comparable new one. This could easily be one of his best opportunities.

TM
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,723
    Couple of random notes from my lunch time errand run:

Dodge dealer: A couple of Ram trucks out front. Both had signs noting "Up to 40% off MSRP!" I'm sure the fine print reads, "...up to 40% off options..."

Former used car lot annex of Volvo/Jag dealer, abandonded for some time (Volvo/Jag dealer is still there). A while ago a couple of trucks were parked there with banners on the side advertising, "1-800-GOT-JUNK?" Recently, two newer Audi's (TT, A4) have been parked just beyong these advertisements. A statement by dissatisfied owners??? A new Audi dealer beginning to open up? If so, they really aren't paying attention! :P

M_Cow: Good to hear the XK back seats aren't useless. More room than the 911? Bad news re: fit/finish. I'll have to look closely, although I have noted that most coupe's I've seen the hatchback does not seem to fit flush...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

Hope you are doing well. I have been reading about the upcoming Honda hybrid that will be released on Earth Day, 2009.

The car is official now, and is reported to be very similar to the Prius (4-door with hatch), yet will cost thousands less, and get around 60 mpg!!

There are some reports that it will be similar in design to Honda's FCX hydrogen-powered car. Here is an unofficial illustration of what the new hybrid might look like, a spy shot of the upcoming Honda hybrid, and two pics of the production FCX.

As I recall, you like Honda, as I do, so I thought you might be interested in this.

Anyway, here are the pics. Please post, and don't make me go up there to Toronto and hunt you down. :P

spy shot:

unofficial illustration (just an artist's best guess, that's all):

FCX (2 pics):

:D

TM
    I got no problem with pre-owned cars, thats why I'd take a CPO anytime. Still, the 911 cost a lot, even as a CPO... and if I dont need the backseat at all, I might consider the less costly Cayman too, oh well, too bad. I must curse TM again :P for making me lose my logics after testing the 911 (and more curses to the sales lady) :P

Laurasdada, yeah I find the XKs back seat more liveable, dont count on headroom though, just as crappy as the 911's. I recommend you examine the vehicle carefully due to its inconsistent fit-finish. Particularly check the dash panels and trunk, as I saw a few units with those exact problem areas. Also, if you're considering a convertible, check if the top fits to the windows, there's 1 XK convertible on the lot with misaligned top. That said, dont be discouraged to try, the engine isnt as strong on paper, but thanks to its lightweight, its just fast and fun to drive.

Which makes me wonder, most european brand dealers got many women on their sales department (local Audi and Porsche dealer said a full 40% of their sales dept are female), a bit contrast from the japanese brands where almost all sales assistants are men.

The search continues....
  • oacoac Member Posts: 1,594
    So far I've been driving my BMW335i even slower than the Hyunadai Sonata I rented on a prior vacation. Just to be safe I go 3 MPH below speed limits to avoid the potential catastrophe of accidentally going 8MPH above the speed limit and getting caught again (God forbid).

Hi Dewey, I can sympathize with you. On a recent vacation out to the South (Atlanta --> South Carolina --> North Carolina) road trip with the family, I suddenly realized we were a bit behind reaching our destination - Winston Salem - at our appointed time. Decided the best way to make up lost time is to extend my right foot a couple inches down on the gas pedal.

Lo and behold, a North Carolina traffic cop was camping out just waiting for me at that particular moment. Few minutes after the encounter, I am staring at a court date, a 2-count charge - endangerment, and driving at 20mph above posted limit - even when I had an open, flat and empty road ahead of me. Go figure. I am awaiting my penance from the courts of North Carolina, even tho' I live in Southern California... Who knows... I may be in deep for like $1K fine.

Now that I drive an e60, I drive like an 80-yo, barely at speed limit. Sucks doesn't it?

Were these cops designed to take the fun out of driving? I mean what is the point of a 135i with 300-pavement pounding horses and torque, and a speed limit of 65mph? I'd go nuts in a car like that tearing out my hair in frustration to have to drive that car without the fun it gives. I'd rather just buy a bike and cycle to work instead... At least I save on gas :)
    Lo and behold, a North Carolina traffic cop was camping out just waiting for me at that particular moment. Few minutes after the encounter

Yea these cops will take the fun of driving anytime 24/7!!!

mean what is the point of a 135i with 300-pavement pounding horses and torque, and a speed limit of 65mph? I'd go nuts in a car like that tearing out my hair in frustration to have to drive that car without the fun it gives

You tear your hairs out really :P

Well whats the point of a 135i but whats the point of a ferrari lambo 911 etc?

Guys and girls will still buy no matter what the speed limit...
    Were these cops designed to take the fun out of driving? I mean what is the point of a 135i with 300-pavement pounding horses and torque, and a speed limit of 65mph? I'd go nuts in a car like that tearing out my hair in frustration to have to drive that car without the fun it gives. I'd rather just buy a bike and cycle to work instead... At least I save on gas

Well, allow me to finally answer this question that has been floating around this forum for a whle.

We all feel that frustration represented in OAC's post here. Dewey has recently expressed similar sentiments, as well as most of us from one time to another. But, frankly, when it comes to exceeding the speed limit, it's not just about what car we are driving. Going over the speed limit is easy enough in ANY car, and it reflects where we draw the line, our personal self-control, and how much risk we are willing to take.

Going over the speed limit isn't the ONLY factor associated with having F-U-N when driving. The fun and enjoyment of a performance car comes in the way it HANDLES!!... and the way it FEELS.

We're talking acceleration, for one thing! Getting to the speed limit quicker is more significant than going over the speed limit! Why? ANY car can go over the limit, but a performance car delivers the excitement and FUN of getting there quicker. Passing other cars when necessary or appropriate and doing it quickly is also exhilerating... all without breaking the law.

Great cornering and handling is a supreme fun factor, and it is easily done within the speed limits, or certainly close enough to not take any undue risks.

The major driving dynamics of a car are identified in almost every way without having to surpass the posted speed limits.

If you are driving a wonderful back road, with speed limits that vary from say, 45 mph to 55 mph, let's be clear here that the driving experience will be tons more F-U-N in a performance-oriented car. Jose has previously remarked about how wonderful some of his mountain-road driving has been in his BMW.

I can honestly say that I don't need to speed (although I do exceed the speed limit now and then) to have a blast in my 135i. Just being in that terrific sport seat, with my hands on the M steering wheel and M shift knob, and feeling every little nuance of the car when driving, is plenty of fun and enjoyment. I accelerate briskly now and then, take corners sharply once in a while, and enjoy the way the car sticks to the road and responds to my commands and demands. Once in a while, I let it remind me what's really lurking under the hood. Wow! All this, in a reasonably priced small car that is getting decent fuel-economy. Ahhhhh... it's the best of all worlds.

Gosh, gentlemen... let's honestly put this whole thing in better perspective. We all know that it sucks to be hounded by speed traps and ticket-crazed traffic cops. It can be terrible at times in certain areas. Suddenly, some of us are throwing in the towel on terrific driving dynamics because we can't speed? I can not make it any clearer here that so much fun can be had in a vehicle within the speed limit.

Let's use a different excuse for purchasing more fuel-efficient vehicles than THAT!!... like an honest one that highlights our genuine concerns for saving energy and spending less at the pump, and even perhaps not caring so much about having fun at the wheel in, say, our commute cars, for example. And, there are also good personal budget and economic reasons to own and drive less-expensive vehicles. Now, that said, there are also legitimate reasons to buy performance cars, as I have illuminated here, and as all of us have known for many, many years.

So... you ask what's the point?

A car does not make a man. However, a fun car can put a nice smile on a man's face.... (even in this world of speed limits and traffic cops).

:D

TM
    Hi Tony, hi all,

When it comes to cars you and TM are convincing me I must drive a 911. I'll try though I see no opportunity at the moment. :mad:

But meanwhile I enjoyed with my wife an all-round 180 miles driving to St. Millán de la Cogolla (Suso and Yuso Monasteries). Mild summer weather, good food, Rioja wine :blush: , impressive scenario, perfect day.
    link title

The origin of these monasteries dates back to 550 AD. There, the most ancient texts in primitive Spanish (a glossary and a poem) that we have notice were written.
    link title

Regards,
    Jose
    Heck, give me a vacant parking lot and a 135i and I can have hours of fun!!

Regards,
    OW
    I think you would enjoy Pillars of the Earth, and Follets latest book...Of all people who have posted on this forum, You always take us on a nice excursion....I just visualize nice uncrowded highways going decent distances, instead of the reality for me of crowded highways with long distances and just wanting to get the trip over with.......Over here I read recently about the traffic cams that give you a ticket in the mail...It all is so discouraging---finally a bit of open highway, speed up just a little and out of nowhere come an officer with a hefty ticket and a bunch of points for the insurance company....I think TagMan has it right and enjoys his cars and puts them through their paces when the chance arises.....A good attitude....I think for us longer range drivers, we are being set up to be forced to take a plane on the longer trips....Too many cams and then I for one wouldn`t want to loose the drivers liscense...All in all a sticky situation coming up...An article in the N Y times about Spain today Tony
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    certainly make me thankful that I'm able to drive, at least a few times a year, in the wide open spaces of the West.

I often route through Nevada and/or Eastern Oregon (among other places) solely because I'm able to drive pretty much as I like. I've set the cruise control at 110 on occasion -- I remember one Sunday morning in New Mexico with special fondness.

My rules are that none of this is to happen so long as any vehicle is visible in any direction for five miles.

It's much more difficult anywhere east of I-35, and gets increasingly so as one approaches I-95. Besides which, US (non-interstate) highways are far less crowded and more fun than the interstates. The well-maintained state highways are usually even more so.

That said, when it's not possible to drive fast, it's certainly possible to enjoy driving slow(ly). Yesterday and today I've been enjoying the backroads of Ohio. Not much traffic, and saw the most beautiful pair of draft horses turning an old-school hay rake at the end of a row (in an Amish area) -- absolutely priceless, at 35 mph. Yeah, I know, it's not really driving, but it's in a car and it's very, very worthwhile, at least if you're me.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester