Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Luxury Lounge

Comments

• tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    ... I find Peugeot's 308 RCZ coupe to be very interesting...

Interesting indeed. From the looks of those ultra-carved body lines, it would certainly make for a good Hot Wheels car. ;)

TM
  • circlewcirclew Posts: 8,396
    This car is slated to bow in 2010 but pricing seems to be an issue. The so called "budget" image might dilute the brand if they price it between $140 - $160K!

I can live with this rplacing my dream F430! ;)

Regards,
    OW
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    This car is slated to bow in 2010 but pricing seems to be an issue. The so called "budget" image might dilute the brand if they price it between $140 - $160K!

What is going on with Ferrari and Pininfarina lately? Both this and the California are just not good looking cars. Both Alfa and Maserati are really on their game, but Ferrari isn't.
    Whoa, that's nice. My chief complaint? I really prefer the multiple rear lights instead of the single light.

And... in an extremely rare situation for me, I think I actually prefer the coupe on this one.

I don't know if anyone else's eye catches this, but the coupe has a subtle Cayman-esque hint to the rear side profile.

Sorry, LG... it's not Ferrari's best, but it's still a gorgeous car.

TM
  • jlbljlbl Posts: 1,333
    Peugeot is struggling to change its 'car of the notary/magistrate' classic image to one much more appealing by adding imaginative extravagance. Peugeot/Citroen/Nissan engines are not bad, in particular the diesel ones. They are currently developing a good line of small diesels in collaboration with BMW; they are winners at Le Mans, after all.

In changing its image Peugeot is usually wrong, showing fish-wildly-open-mouths and bulky chassis (link title).
    Yet, as you does, I find Peugeot's 308 RCZ coupe to be very interesting. She belongs to the sort of cumulative round lines design, with high hipes, which is now fashionable. Following with animal analogies, I see a resemblance of the 308 RCZ to one of these Chinese (or are they Japanese?) not too big dogs that are shockingly skinny, strong, and looking like friendlier 'bulldogs'.

I use here the pics you posted, to refresh the memory,

Regards,
    Jose
  • clemboclembo Posts: 253
    I agree Tag, when I first saw the picture of the coupe I thought Cayman as well. Not just the rear but the roof has the same bubble type of design as well.

As much as a Ferrari around $150K would appeal to alot of us I still can't see buying one and driving it as hard as you can with an actual Cayman, or similar Porsche. As you know a great benefit of owning a Porsche is having the chance to track it at the PCA events without any serious modifcations. It would be hard to imagine driving a Ferrari as hard as guys push their Porsches at these track days.

PS - Someone at the airport scraped my 335 Cab with a white car or truck and I have a mees on the left front to fix. :sick: I hope your 135 Cab is fairing better.
    Well, I want 4 160 HP electric motors driving the wheels at the corners! Damned the anemic Hybrids

Those anemic hybrids will be getting much more powerful, starting with the soon-to-be-released next generation Prius, followed by the more powerful Lexus variant. And, besides, Lexus already offers a couple of powerful hybrids.

However, if it's 4 160 HP electric motors you want... here ya go with 4 175 HP motors, for a total of 700 HP!!... :surprise: ...

Here's a link with good info and many more pics of the LIGHTNING GT...

700 HP Lightning GT Info

Also, here's a terrific video of the vehicle's unveiling... (caution: 9 minutes long, but worth it.)

Lightning GT video

700 HP!! Recharges in only 10 minutes??!! :surprise:

Careful what you wish for. ;)

TM
    Someone at the airport scraped my 335 Cab with a white car or truck and I have a mess on the left front to fix. I hope your 135 Cab is fairing better.

Yikes. That would make me sick. So sorry to hear that.

Yeah, my 135i is doing great, thanks. However, I almost caused my own fender bender yesterday, but thankfully I missed hitting the other guy by all of one inch! My fault, too... I simply wasn't paying attention as I should have been. I am soooooo grateful nothing happened.

I hope you get that gorgeous car of yours fixed real soon! :)

TM
    TM, unbelievable! You are real good! Thanks for this information. It must be getting close to Christmas! My lease runs out at 12:00 AM on Dec. 31st so this is my top choice for my next ride! :D

I have much apprehension on the battery claims. Why would this be possible for such a small company and not for GM or Toyota?? The Volt needs much longer to charge and only goes 40 miles...billions will be spent for the Volt.

Hmm....something smells in Smoke Town! ;)

Regards,
    OW
    TM, unbelievable! You are real good! Thanks for this information.

:blush:

I have much apprehension on the battery claims. Why would this be possible for such a small company and not for GM or Toyota?? The Volt needs much longer to charge and only goes 40 miles...billions will be spent for the Volt.

The answer on the batteries may have something to do with Lightning's committment to nano technology batteries, which IIRC is quite a leap past lithium ion. Almost everyone else seems to be banking on lithium ion.

The price of nano batteries could be rather nasty in the beginning, but I'd bet large that nano batteries ARE the future battery technology.

Anyway, it's definately a dream car... one for all of our Christmas lists. :D

TM
  • bmlexusbmlexus Posts: 755
    BMW said today that it is recalling 200,000 vehicles due to a problem with the front passenger air bag. The German automaker said that the air bag may not deploy in a crash.

The recall involves 2006 BMW 3-Series, 2004-2006 5-Series and the 2004-2006 X3 SUV. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said that cracks could develop in the seat detection mat that could lead the front passenger air bags to be deactivated. The problem would also turn on the the passenger air-bag light.

BMW said that not accidents or injuries have been reported.

link title
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,702
    What's wrong with this picture?

Oh, those horrible rubber bumpers! Que lastima!

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

I'm quite certain those front-mounted guns could me modified.

With only 8,050 miles... and, a price tag of a mere $89K!

However, dada, I must admit, it is exquisite! image

Stuart Carpenter has quite an interesting collection.

TM
  • m4d_cowm4d_cow Posts: 1,491
    The front end looks too much like a combination between a Cayman and a Lotus Elise. Not exactly a great looking model, but still attractive.

Jose, I never heard of an R6. Is that a new model?

Never heard of the brand Lightning before. But it looks much like a TVR. I dont like all models but I love the Tuscan2, definitely a unique head turner, and its a real beast to handle (tried it once). I recommend trying it if you get the chance.

For the 1st time I saw an e46 3coupe parked next to the e90 coupe, the old one looks much better proportioned, whereas the new one looks too long. I guess the 3 will be off the list soon.....
    Thanks for the advice on M3, will check it out. Anything else?
    Oh, those horrible rubber bumpers! Que lastima!

The E-type by the end was a sad shadow of its former self. If you're going to buy an E-type, you get the Series I, that's all there is to it. The most valuable E-types are the early flat-floors, but they are also the worst to drive. The sweet spot is the '64-'67 4.2L version with the proper gearbox.
    I had no idea Nissan was working on a hybrid G (with Li-ION batteries, no less). Supposedly it will deliver 40% better mileage than the regular G, with more power to boot. It will be very interesting to see if this succeeds where the HAH and GS450h failed. Link
  • bmlexusbmlexus Posts: 755
    BMW had recalled 200,000 over an airbag issue and no1 cares :surprise: :sick:
    I had a air bag/seat belt sensor problem at 3,000 miles in my '06 330xi. They had to change the entire wiring harness to the seat belt/air bag inside the steering column!

Hope mine is not recalled AGAIN! :mad:

4 months 13 days left to go...

Regards,
    OW
    When a recall is made as a preventative measure, I actually increase my respect for the company! That's being responsible and not letting money interfere with doing the right thing.

In contrast, when a manufacturer's vehicles are failing, and people are getting injured and killed, but the manufacturer is reluctant to recall the defective vehicle, THAT's when I care.

We've witnessed those shameful days in history out of Detroit.

BMW recognizes that there is a potential problem. NO ONE has gotten injured. I salute BMW for doing the right thing just to make sure that their cars are safe and that they don't put their driver's at any risk! It's nice to know that BMW isn't like some of the other manufacturers that have known about safety issues and instead of stepping to the plate before something happens, they literally were hush hush, pretending that there was no problem... Even after people were killed... claiming that it was driver error, and all sorts of shameful greedy and wreckless methods of evading their responsibility.

Yes, you are right... I don't care about this. I would, however, care if they did NOT recall the vehicles.

Man, it feels good owning a car from a company that puts safety and responsibility ahead of profits! My BMW drives like a dream. What a great company BMW is for making such awesome cars... and standing by them, too!

TM
  • louisweilouiswei Posts: 3,717
    Well said TM!

I am going to save this post because all I have to do is change 'BMW' to 'Lexus' or 'Toyota' then I can use it for all the future Toyota/Lexus recall posts.

:P
    Jose, I never heard of an R6. Is that a new model?

Hi m4d_cow, I meant to write S6.

R6 is short name for RS 6 Avant we loosely use over here. My brain is becoming unreliable :mad: ; I haven't realized my mistake until the third time I've read your question.

Regards,
    Jose

Edit:
    Anything else?
    3-Series coupe rear seats have enough room for L-size adults to travel with comfort along at least 300 miles (as tested by me). I considered that when choosing the coupe as my current car.
    I hope BMW buys Ford and GM! Then, I won't hit the walls when making a high-speed maneuver in the current products out of these companies!

Regards,
    OW
    The recall is scheduled to begin in late September.

Dealers will rework the front passenger's-seat sensor mat so that external force application to the seat does not cause a crack to the mat. BMW will also extend the warranty on the affected vehicles to 10 years from first registration without any mileage limit, NHTSA said. The warranty extension covers the 2006 BMW 6 Series and 3 Series with the standard seat, the 2004-05 BMW Z4, the 2004-06 BMW 7 Series, the 2006 BMW X5 and the 2004-06 BMW 5 Series with the comfort seat. Faulty occupant detection mats in these vehicles will be replaced for free.

Must of got some GM sensor mats in 04 -06!! ;)

Regards,
    OW
    TM, I fully agree with your comments on BMW recall.

That said, I believe it is still better not to have to recall. That said, I wonder whether my former 5-Series had a defective steering-wheel airbag. In any case, it worked wonderfully, together with the remaining bags, belts and safety chassis construction to avoid injuries to myself and my family when that car crashed against the ward rails cruising in the highway at 75 miles per hour. If the car had a defective sensor, it had to have still enough sensitivity.

Anecdotal as it might be (among the thousands of 5-Series items released that year), it has indeed been relevant for my buying another BMW, even if this has been another model car.

Regards,
    Jose
    Well said TM!

I am going to save this post because all I have to do is change 'BMW' to 'Lexus' or 'Toyota' then I can use it for all the future Toyota/Lexus recall posts. :P

LOL. OK, Lou, good one.

But just to be clear, and take this another step further, though, I see some different scenarios here...

Briefly...

1. Manufacturer discovers a potential defect, no failure has occurred, manufacturer makes recall.
    2. Manufacturer discovers a potential defect, no failure has occurred, manufacturer makes NO recall.
    3. Failures have in fact occurred, no injuries or deaths, manufacturer makes recall.
    4. Failures have in fact occurred, no injuries or deaths, manufacturer makes NO recall.
    5. Failures have in fact occurred, injury(ies) or death(s) has occurred, manufacturer makes recall.
    6. Failures have in fact occurred, injury(ies) or death(s) has occurred, manufacturer makes NO recall.

I haven't placed these scenarios in order of what I would consider best to worst behavior by the manufacturer, but it's clear to me that it's generally best for a manufacturer to respond as quickly as possible to effectively implemement a genuine solution/correction to the problem.

It is also my belief that not only is rapid containment (genuine correction/solution) of the issue important, but that it is also helpful to be prepared with effective public relations as well, as a means to minimize any collateral damage that could occur to the company's image.

:)

TM
    TM, I fully agree with your comments on BMW recall. That said, I believe it is still better not to have to recall.

True. But, the criteria for when to recall and not to recall is discretionary at the earliest stages, and the manufacturer doesn't HAVE to recall, which appears better, as you said. But it's awesome when the manufacturer willingly does so anyway, knowing that it is the right thing to do, and knowing that the publicity can be negative... and yet still conducts the recall inspite of everything. Talk about taking the high road!!

I wonder whether my former 5-Series had a defective steering-wheel airbag. In any case, it worked wonderfully, together with the remaining bags, belts and safety chassis construction to avoid injuries to myself and my family when that car crashed against the ward rails cruising in the highway at 75 miles per hour.

Having a real-life circumstance like you did, is testimony to what is necessary to make these vehicles safe.

You could not be more grateful that the safety systems in the fateful BMW functioned well enough during the accident to spare you and your loved ones tragic injury.

Anecdotal as it might be (among the thousands of 5-Series items released that year), it has indeed been relevant for my buying another BMW, even if this has been another model car.

Of course you would buy another BMW!!! ;)

TM
    I hope BMW buys Ford and GM! Then, I won't hit the walls when making a high-speed maneuver in the current products out of these companies!

What? You expect a car to go where you point it? ;)

TM
    Reminds me of the Tylenol recall...J&J made the best moral decision despite the huge projected cost...which paid back 100-fold.

Johnson & Johnson was praised by the media at the time for its handling of the incident. While at the time of the scare the market share of Tylenol collapsed from 35% to 8%, it rebounded in less than a year, a move credited to J&J's prompt and aggressive reaction. In November it reintroduced capsules, but in a new, triple-sealed package, coupled with heavy price promotions, and within several years Tylenol had become the most popular over-the-counter analgesic in the US.

Regards,
    OW
    You can point a BMW in many ways and it gets you through...the avoidance maneuver is achieved because the car becomes a part of you...not a part of the other car or other obstacle!

Regards,
    OW
  • anthonypanthonyp Posts: 1,857
    Thinking back to the glory years af American cars, I never heard of a recall until maybe twenty years ago, and that was usually a Ford for seatbelt issues or something.....Back in those days almost all of the cars I owned worked as I was accustomed to....I remember the manufacturers stock had high dividend payouts and low p/e ratios.....Probably back then with the Union power growing, they should have cut back on the payout, and done more R/D....As I have been exposed to the heavy equipment and big trucks lately, I admire what American companies offer in that line...Man they are sturdy and made to go a long hard road, and they do...An important consideration in purchasing such equipment is the financial soundness of the company, as you will need parts ten or twenty years down the road...John Deere, and Caterpillar, are two fine companies, with well designed and built equipment.....Too bad they only specialize it that segment, as I would be interested in what they designed in a car :) American products are very good in certain segments Tony