Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Luxury Lounge

Comments

• deweydewey Posts: 5,243
    Finally it has been confirmed by a judicial verdict. A Prius is not a luxury car.

Boy am I in the wrong forum. :surprise:

link title
    Here's a list of what is likely to in a 2010 Prius.

The option packages sound very impressive. More impressive than what is available in many luxury cars. (does that make a Prius a luxury car?)

link title
  • cyclone4cyclone4 Posts: 2,292
    Dewey,

Those are very impressive features indeed. However, if I am reading it right, it is a little disappointing that one cannot get the solar roof with the advanced technology package. It states:

No Solar Roof available with LEDs/fogs or Adv Tech Package (weight/engineering challenge already mentioned) .

I don't understand why this would be a weight/engineering challenge. Given a choice, I guess I would go with the advanced technology package and skip the solar roof.
    Yeah they could have elaborated a bit more about the weight/engineering challenges.

I am still undecided on what options I would pick.

I
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    I still can't believe LL has some how turned anti BMW.

NO. That's just not the case. Not the entire LL.

Dewey, for sure, has had enough reasons to be anti-BMW.

But, clembo and Jose and hpowders and myself all like BMW. That's at least FOUR of us here on the LL.

Powders should have kept his beloved 5-Series, and it's understandable that his 3-Series can't live up to what he previously had. But in some sense, his current 3-Series is now almost a large as his wonderful 5-Series was.

I still love my BMW. I just need to decide between keeping it or the Jag. It's a tough choice, but I'm most likely going to stay with the 135i convertible FTW.

What's cool here, IMO, is the continued growth in popularity of Audi... and it makes good sense.

Also, the positive sentiment towards hybrids is clear now.

Even Hyundai is finally gaining some acceptance and respect a bit further across the board here. :surprise:

But, I don't see a major anti-BMW sentiment. However, to be fair, BMW seems geared towards making too many different vehicles, and I think that requires some serious "pruning". In that regard, there is some selective negative sentiment. Most of us would agree that they need to do some pruning.

But, bottom line... BMW still makes some really terrific fun cars.

TM
    "No Solar Roof available with LEDs/fogs or Adv Tech Package (weight/engineering challenge already mentioned)"

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

Reminds me of the earlier generation Honda Pilot. The consumer had to choose between the Navigation or the Rear Entertainment System... but couldn't get both. Real reason turned out to be inadequate wiring harness. Only the Acura MDX counterpart received the adquate wiring harness.

I'll bet some green that this 2010 Prius wasn't originally expected to get some of these options, so the master wiring harness gets maxxed out... forcing the consumer to make a choice.

I don't understand why this would be a weight/engineering challenge. Given a choice, I guess I would go with the advanced technology package and skip the solar roof.

Well... the advanced technology package and model V don't offer one single thing that makes any real difference, other than foglamps, and there's a good chance that they could be added later on in the service department... I'd check to see when the time comes to make your decision. If you want the 17" wheels, I imagine they could also be changed afterwards. On the other hand, the entire solar moonroof assembly is a major useful option, and you aren't about to add it seperately. If I were to buy the car, I'd definitely get that moonroof / solar roof option, and add those other items afterwards. That way I'd have everything I wanted.

Who the hell needs lane assist or park assist or adaptive cruise anyway? The car already has normal parking sensors and cruise control. And I have no probelm staying in my own lane. Save that kind of worthless junk for the Lexus HS250h. ;)

TM
  • circlewcirclew Posts: 8,400
    Here is a good read on the current hit to Luxury Brands. I now see why the Prius is going to continue it's popularity. Dewey, looks like you are ahead of the trend.

Rough Ride for Luxury

In any kind of downturn, people are reluctant to show off, said Jack Nerad, market analyst at Kelley Blue Book.

But the trend is more pronounced in this recession, he said, because of another long-term shift: growing concern for the environment, the effect of car emissions on the earth's atmosphere, and the planet's dwindling resources.

A look at who buys the Toyota Prius hybrid, which starts at $22,000, shows how these two trends are dovetailing, he said.

"A lot of potential luxury car customers went into Prius," Nerad said, while Toyota's premium Lexus hybrids "have largely fallen flat."

Prius buyers earn more than $100,000, on average, and many of them could easily afford a flashier nameplate, he said.

Regards,
    OW
    Who the hell needs lane assist or park assist or adaptive cruise anyway? The car already has normal parking sensors and cruise control. And I have no probelm staying in my own lane. Save that kind of worthless junk for the Lexus HS250h.

Man, I don't know about that Tag. I would not call some of these features "worthless junk". After driving with radar/adaptive cruise control for several years now on my LS, I don't think I could do without it. I absolutely love this feature for long trips.
    Well, my wife and I test drove the new RX350 this afternoon. In my opinion, it is a significant improvement over the previous model. The car is quieter and the seating is more comfortable. After viewing/studying it more closely, I actually like its exterior look. But it is the interior layout that I really like. The instrument panel and the next generation navigation system is second to none. I even played around with the mouse/joy stick and found it easy to use. The voice recognition system is a big improvement. The vehicle we drove did not have a few of the high tech features such as "panoramic" cameras, lane assist, and radar cruise, but those are definitely available. By the way, it has plenty of power.

My wife is quite excited about it and we will be anxiously waiting for the hybrid version to be released this spring. All she needs to do is choose the color and the appropriate options. I imagine we will be getting it fully loaded with the possible exception of the rear DVD screens. I am pretty certain we will opt for the one payment lease option.

The new RX350 (one we drove today) will be unveiled to the public this Monday evening. Among other things, they will have 20 minute discussions about its features and the differences between the old and the new generation.
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    ".... hpowders and myself all like BMW."

Yes, when I say the current 328i is not a lot of fun to drive, this is coming from someone who has been driving BMWs since 1993; I am comparing it to my 3 other BMWs and thus the criticism is directed at the highest level of performance available to most folks over the last 16 years in the entry level luxury sedan category.

In most car magazine comparos the 2007-2008 328i almost exclusively beats offerings from Lexus, Mercedes Benz, Audi and Infiniti, though the latter seems to be closing in rapidly with its G37 coupe.

The current bulky, technology-drunk 328i is still the benchmark of the entry level luxury sedan/coupe category.
    However, I can definitely say with complete certainty that the current 328i sedan is not as satisfying to drive as the 1993 325i and the 2002 325i sedans.

I'm sure a lot of you folks would enjoy driving my 328i....I just had to drive a 545i for 3 years and ruin everything for myself! :mad:

I don't hate BMW; just wish they would get back to building a 3 Series sedan that they used to do so well.
  • circlewcirclew Posts: 8,400
    Have you tested the 135i? I thought that was high on performance. What is your feeling about the 1-series?

Regards,
    OW
  • anthonypanthonyp Posts: 1,857
    Howard, your are right, Istill have my place in Miami, and love it down there...Just unfortunately I got stuck up here dealing with a bunch of stuff---just at the wrong time of year--and Hope to get back down there in a couple of weeks...

I`m of the opinion that the gov. should try and do something so we as a whole don`t suffer a depression....Many people -through now fault of their own--have lost their job and need a little breathing room to get back on their feet.....So far I have been disappointed in the Treasury, and truly amazed at the banking situation...The autos are all politicks as far as I can see....and agree with you about a gov. controlled bankruptcy....

Nice to hear from you :) Tony
  • I can't speak for Mr. H, but if long term memory serves, he requires room to swallow a bike. Can the 135i do that? Could be a reason for the request of a hot hatch from BMW? Because I definitely remember he's against racks. ;-)
    Dewey, for sure, has had enough reasons to be anti-BMW.

Tagman,

I dont hate BMW. I loved my 98 BMW323i and my wife's BMW 530xi Touring is just fine. They also happen to make the best engines in the world.

My hate is personally against my own BMW 335i.

In fact I wrote all the above today in my post 17796. I dont blame you that you missed reading that post since I do babble too much here. ;)
    Prius buyers earn more than $100,000, on average, and many of them could easily afford a flashier nameplate, he said.

In this day and age there is certain wisdom in appearing not as affluent especially if you really are affluent ;)

For those who do flaunt their bling then beware of neighbors, friends and family members. Please refer to the Businessweek article below:

link title
  • I don't hate BMW; just wish they would get back to building a 3 Series sedan that they used to do so well.

I have always had an affinity for the E36 BMWs, and to a lesser degree, the E46. I think the E36 M3 is about the top of automotive development. In the mid to late 90s there was nothing that could match the combination of speed, handling, comfort, practicality, and style. I am not saying cars haven't improved since then, just the changes have been much more evolutionary then revolutionary. I think a CamCord with the V6 is about as fast, although considerably less involving to drive.
  • anthonypanthonyp Posts: 1,857
    Hi Tag

Would you not loose more money with the bmw? or are they about the same (jag vs bmw) Tony
    THis weekend or the next will be my test drive date with my family with a Lexus RX350.

An RX450H vs. a Toyota Prius?

I will keep an open mind but I do favor the Prius lll with the solar sun roof. My wife is already showing the kids our new car : The RX450H. I most likely will have to break the sad news to them. ;)

Like Tag I dont care for the other options. I find them pointless BUT they may be perfect for those with more discriminating tastes.This will be my first car with bluetooth, satellite radio and a 6 CD unit in the dash.
  • Satellite radio has been okay so far, but I'm still at the mercy of what they play. 6 in dash CD player is nice, I guess for '97, but who the H has cd's these days? IPOD interface (or like) should be standard.
  • Satellite radio has been okay so far, but I'm still at the mercy of what they play. 6 in dash CD player is nice, I guess for '97, but who the H has cd's these days? IPOD interface (or like) should be standard.

I've been surprised by how slow the "trickle up" has been with respect to iPod connectivity. Bluetooth and USB media is available for $400 on a $14,000 Ford Focus (and standard on the highest model, throughout Ford), and the system seems to work better than the one in the Lexus, the one in the Acura (which was so bad in last year they stopped selling it), and the one in the Cadillac.

I think the hard drive based systems are foolish as well, as then you are required to rip all your CDs to the hard drive in the vehicle after you already ripped them to your computer (or downloaded the songs) and then transfered them to your personal music player.

I was kind of taken aback by the Infiniti and Acura integrations. Even the one in the Mini requires an audio cable and a control cable because Mini wouldn't purchase the proprietary chip to stream digital audio from an iPod.
  • First off, I'm no audiophile. But the iPod interface in my car works fine for me (I have read complaints). The only issue for me is the 'cheap' build of the location of the interface. The glovebox is fine to plug in the unit, but the tray provided is more fragile than the dining tray in coach on an airplane. I can see it breaking w/o too much effort.

If I'm feeling nostalgic, maybe I'll try to find some cd's this weekend. ;-)
  • bmlexusbmlexus Posts: 755
    Hi dewey,

I am tired of reading bad things about bmws, especially the x6 which is the only bmw car that I am interested in. :cry:

Whenever I see the x6, I don't want anything other, but after reading troubles after troubles after troubles, :cry:

I don't know anymore.

The only other bmw I like is the 5series, which will be redesigned within a year.
    I sat in a 135i at the dealers the same day I bought the 328i, but didn't get a chance to drive it. Because I consider all of the twin turbo BMW vehicles impractical for USA driving (speeding tickets,etc;), not very good on fuel economy and quite trouble-prone, I would only consider the 128i.

I am eager to compare the 128i coupe to my 328i sedan. I do have a feeling I would prefer the 128i. The problem is finding a 128i. Most dealers seem to stock only the 135i.

After driving a 545i for three years and being frustrated at leaving around thirty per-cent of the vehicle's potential untapped, I will no longer consider ultra-powerful vehicles like the 135i and 335i....although I have to admit.... I was on the Porsche website today and did a search for a 2008 CPO Cayman and found a silver beauty in Atlanta for $41,500 with only 6,000 miles.

I've got to stop doing that!!! :)
    Yes. Now folks are getting up in arms about irresponsible folks signing up for too much house and about to get mortgage bailout assistance. I don't blame the poor souls who bought the houses. I blame the irresponsible bankers who allowed them to get mortgages they couldn't qualify for. Instead of bailing out the banks, bring criminal charges against the irresponsible bankers and throw them all in jail. Then auction off their Ferraris, Porsches and Lambos so you and I can pick them up cheap!

See you at the auction! ;)
    I never had the privilege of driving an E46 M3. I'm sure it must have been wonderful! (For the benefit of readers who know little about BMW product development, the E46 three Series models were being produced from 1996 through 2006 and specifically, the E46 M3's were being produced from 2001 through 2006.)
    Even so, I would feel uncomfortable driving such a powerful car, always anxious that I am about to get "pulled over." One really needs track access to fully enjoy a BMW M3 or even a 335i Coupe.

Twice on the interstate within the last six months or so, I have driven behind two E90 M3 sedans (2008) and my reaction both times was a quietly whispered "wow!"

By the way, of my three 3 Series vehicles, I do consider my 2002 E46 325i the best all around-great styling, uncomplicated interior controls and the best handling.
    The day I had to return it (3 year lease) was tough!
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,687
    Charlie,

Agree completely. I regret the day I took the Infiniti G w/o nav or back-up camera. I subsequently dropped $350 on an in car nav for my sun. I would imagine that over 3 years I'd have paid triple that but I'd have had a back-up camera as an added safety feature for a young driver. Once you get a taste of these features you appreciate them and can't do without them. The Lexus auto park is one I would label a bloated excess and worthless which is why I passed it up.
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,687
    Charlie,

Agree completely. I regret the day I took the Infiniti G w/o nav or back-up camera. I subsequently dropped $350 on an in car nav for my sun. I would imagine that over 3 years I'd have paid triple that but I'd have had a back-up camera as an added safety feature for a young driver. Once you get a taste of these features you appreciate them and can't do without them. The Lexus auto park is one I would label a bloated excess and worthless which is why I passed it up.
    I regret the day I took the Infiniti G w/o nav or back-up camera. I subsequently dropped $350 on an in car nav for my sun. I would imagine that over 3 years I'd have paid triple that but I'd have had a back-up camera as an added safety feature for a young driver. Once you get a taste of these features you appreciate them and can't do without them. The Lexus auto park is one I would label a bloated excess and worthless which is why I passed it up.

Len,

I agree. I've posted many times about my affection for most of the high-tech goodies and features, but I honestly have to draw the line with that auto-park feature. Maybe clembo is right about the adaptive cruise control, but I guess I'm not all that impressed when cars start driving and parking themselves.

As far as Bluetooth goes, it's the law in California to use a hands-free system, so it's not a big deal here any more. NAV is also fairly common nowadays, and even the back-up camera is starting to get more common as well. Heck, even my previous (I sold it, BTW) F-150 pickup truck had Bluetooth, NAV, satellite radio, front & rear-seat entertainment, iPOD connectivity, as well as a backup camera and other electronic goodies.

That said, when it comes to all these electronic features... as usual, it boils down to personal preference.

TM
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    Misery loves company and at least I know that my BMW is not the only :lemon: out there.

I still do not understand what the point of the X6 is. In any sort of "real" off-roading, it will be humiliated by a Range Rover or LX570, and it will probably get stuck very quickly, so it's a bad SUV. It's not attractive, or a proper GT, so coupe is out. Nor is it as practical as a luxury sedan. What does the X6 do well? Who is it for?
    What does the X6 do well? Who is it for?

LOL... that's still a big mystery. Although I think the answer is
    1. Nothing.
    2. No one.

TM