Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Luxury Lounge

Comments

• jlbljlbl Member Posts: 1,333
    You know, I loved my Bangle 5 Series. Even the exterior aesthetics—not that I liked so much the interior styling ;) But all in all, she was very enjoyable.

Regards,
    Jose
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    edited March 2010
    The sedan is the worst selling of the M3 variants. It's beaten by the coupe more than 3 to 1. I'm not sure what BMW was expecting, but the rumor at least is that the sedan will not return next time.

I think you're being a bit harsh on the M3 sedan. To ask what BMW was expecting would also have to be asked of the M6. If those numbers on that site are correct, the M3 sedan nearly outsold the M6 coupe and convertible combined 2:1 for 2008. I still believe the M3 sedan makes a good business case. It's for those folks who want the performance of an M3 but need the practicality of those extra doors, and for those few that would really like to have an M5 but either can't quite afford one or just don't want something that "big." And the sedan actually outsold the M5 by a relatively good margin. And I'd be willing to bet there's a much higher profit margin in the 3-series line than in the 5-series line; M cars included.

It'll be a disappointing day for me if they drop the M3 sedan again. It was definitely on my "to buy" list.
  • larrys8larrys8 Member Posts: 36
    Hi all,

I am reposting this in this forum as you all seem to have a very strong passion and I am sure you will give me honest advice. Any help, thoughts or suggestions would be great

I am considering purchasing a 2007 certified 750i with 30k miles. BMW is offering to cover all maint and warranty to 100k miles. I drove a 2007 750 with sport package, nicely loaded, I think I can get it for around 40K. An amazing car (at least during test drive). I am considering this vs. buying new Acura TL or looking for pre-owned Lexus LS(I know apples to oranges).

I love the 750i, but not sure if its the car for me. I commute about 35 miles each way to work 5 days a week (mixed driving mostly highway but tons of traffic). I am hoping someone can give me their "real world" MPG. Not really worried about snow, I take my wife's car to work now when there is a chance of snow. Currently I have a 2007 V-6 Accord and get about 22mpg per the computer in car (thought I would do better)

Also I am concerned about long term realiability, I would imagine I would keep the car for 4 or 5 years and rack up 120K+ miles.

With service being covered to 100K not so much worried about cost as much as I am how much time car would be sitting in a shop for repairs.

Any help, commments, suggestions would be great!!!!!!
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Nice to meet you here! Nice choice and looks like a nice deal as dealer CPO is around $43K. The upside is it's a great cruiser so get ready to get spoiled. I'm sure the gas mileage will average around 19mpg.

You will get to 100K miles the first few months of the 4th year you own it but these are all hwy miles so you can go the 4 - 5 years and sell it at around 150K miles.

As long as you don't commute in the demilitarized zone of the NY/NJ/CT area, your suspension bits should not get too worn.

So, the electronics demons would be your only weak spot as this car is one of the high tech cars on the road.

Here's some more info for you and Good Luck!

'07 750i

Regards,
    OW
  • skarieskarie Member Posts: 78
    edited March 2010
    SOMETHING INTRESTING

Let’s look at BMW. Here was a car company that ingrained into American consumers’ minds over time that they were on to the double-secret formula, one that led BMW to go about designing and engineering cars in a very specific way so that they oozed energy and purpose, delivering an unrivaled driving experience. And the moniker attached to these motorized creations - “The Ultimate Driving Machine” - summed it all up remarkably well. A perfect marriage of machine and ad theme that worked its magic with tremendous success.

And the consumer driving public ate it up, whether they were carving up mountain roads in West Virginia or were stuck crawling in 15 mph traffic on the 405 in L.A., they were True Believers in the BMW mission, and they spread the gospel of BMW throughout the land.

But then things got weird.

BMW executives became seriously afflicted with the “let’s be all things to all people” disease and actually thought that they could put a BMW in every garage in America – or at least in the America that mattered, in their estimation – if they just blanketed the market, leaving no niche unturned. Soon a series of bloated people movers that bore no resemblance to BMW’s original mission started showing up in BMW dealerships. Heavy, awkward designs, combined with almost shocking curb weight figures, totally warped the BMW lineup here in America. “Ultimate Driving Machines?” No, these were unrecognizable as such, and people began to notice that something was very, very wrong in BMW-Ville.

It backfired on them, big time, and they soon found themselves playing the incentive game with a vengeance, while trying to hang on to market share and volume.

So what does BMW do? At this point in the story I would like to say that a group of executives rose up to challenge the direction of the company and that a revolt ensued, with the result being that BMW was back on track, refocused and rededicated to its mission, with the offensive executives who led the company astray banished to obscurity.

But no, instead BMW unleashes a pathetic mishmash of an advertising campaign revolving around the word - “Joy” – complete with the obligatory shiny happy people with grins plastered on their faces experiencing the pleasures of BMWs in a series of shots that leave the viewer numb with… nothing. Because this is not only a campaign that could have been done by any other car company in the world, it smacks of a car company that’s simply going through the motions, smugly suggesting that they can get away with this abject advertising mediocrity because after all, they’re BMW.

The mistake BMW is making here is that they’ve talked themselves into believing that their reputation is such that they can walk away from one of the most memorable ad themes in automotive history - even though BMW insists that it’s only a temporary deviation - in the course of chasing wider appeal and a broader spectrum of buyers.

But BMW is forgetting one very pivotal thing here: People can attach “joy” to anything in life, even the simple, most mundane things. And that’s fine, man, as The Dude would say.

But at one point lusting after a BMW was something special. It was all about desire - a craving for the “ultimate” in mechanical art, at least as practiced by the zealots in Bavaria - and there was only one place you could quench that thirst.

Unfortunately for BMW that’s no longer true. Because they’ve lost their way trying to please everybody and because there’s a stronger, tougher competitor out there that’s capturing the hearts and minds of enthusiasts across the country. The same enthusiasts, as a matter of fact, who once lusted after BMW.

Audi is now making the most desirable German cars – and some of the most desirable machines, period – in the business. But it hasn’t always been that way. In fact Audi has had a long and difficult road here in the U.S. to get where they are today.

Initially praised as a coming brand that bristled with innovation and forward thinking – its Audi 5000 influenced the Detroit Three to completely rethink their idea of what a contemporary sedan should be when it made its debut - Audi was off to a tremendous start in this country. That is until the “unintended acceleration” fiasco began – which proved to be a completely false witch hunt blatantly orchestrated by CBS’ “60 Minutes” for ratings – and the brand suffered a dramatic drop in sale because of it, going from an annual rate of around 75-80,000 units to under 20,000 in less than 15 months, leaving its very existence in this market in question.

But Audi didn’t waver - instead they toughed it out through some very grim years, slowly but surely establishing their reputation as an engineering-oriented car company but one that marched to a different drummer – its insistence on “quattro” all-wheel-drive technology being the cornerstone of its car-building mantra - defying convention and going their own way at every turn. And by the late 90s things were starting to percolate for the brand.

Then, when Audi could have gone off the rails and eased back on the throttle, it instead decided to establish its engineering and technical chops in the one place that tallies winners and losers in the most unforgiving environment possible: Major League Motorsport.

Audi chose the most competitive arena available, one that pits the world’s most dominant automakers against each other in the harshest of environments – the historic and grueling 24 Hours of Le Mans – and they put it all on the line and went for it.

The result? Eight overall wins - including five consecutively – over a ten-year period, simply one of the most dominant performances in motorsports history.

And Audi used its unwavering commitment to its Le Mans-winning racing program as a beacon for its entire organization, urging designers and engineers to dig deeper and to leave no detail to chance and to execute with a clarity and a focused consistency in their pursuit of automotive greatness.

The result? Machines that speak with their bold designs, notable innovations, flawless detailing and a mechanical goodness that’s compelling to both enthusiasts with demanding standards and consumers who can just appreciate a job well done.

And there’s one more thing about Audi’s success that’s undeniable, too, and that is that the machines brim with passion and a distinct point of view (read Peter’s review of the sensational R8 in this week’s “On the Table” – Ed.).

No, they’re not for everyone and that’s exactly the point here. Despite its burgeoning success Audi still marches to a different drummer, and they’re not the least bit interested in being “all things to all people,” and I find that to be refreshing, especially given where BMW has landed with its “Joy” campaign.

As a matter of fact, in juxtaposition these two German car companies are shocking in their divergent paths.

On the one hand we have BMW. Repeatedl
  • tx_buzzardtx_buzzard Member Posts: 130
    It'll be a disappointing day for me if they drop the M3 sedan again. It was definitely on my "to buy" list.

You better hurry, as it IS being dropped. :mad:
    Audi makes a very fine car, no doubt. Anyone disputing that has no idea what they are talking about. However they do not drive and handle like a BMW. It is not all about speed, all about handling, all about a plush interior, and certainly not all about how far a particular car company has come. What is is all about is personal taste and what you are wanting from your car. What makes YOU grin when you get behind the wheel.

And IMHO... thank God for BMW.
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    edited March 2010
    I hate to tell you but Audi has begun dethroning BMW in handling and overall power and has lost several of their last comparison tests to Audi! Infiniti is also nipping on BMW's heels, to say otherwise is illogical :D below is the proof, hate to burst your BMW almighty bubble, BMW better do something or Audi is going to continue to pass them and Infiniti real soon too! Both Audi and Infiniti is able to match if not beat, in the case of Audi, BMW's handling!

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparisons/09q3/2009_audi_a6_3.0t_vs._2009_- - bmw_535i_2009_infiniti_m45_2009_jaguar_xf_2010_m-b_e350-comparison_tests

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparisons/09q4/2010_audi_s4_vs._2009_bmw_3- - 35i-comparison_tests

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparisons/09q2/2009_infiniti_g37_vs._bmw_3- - 28i_audi_a4_and_acura_tl-comparison_tests
  • lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    edited March 2010
    Audi makes a very fine car, no doubt. Anyone disputing that has no idea what they are talking about. However they do not drive and handle like a BMW.

Depends on what BMW and what Audi we are talking about. BMW is by no means a master at everything. They make both good and bad cars (see the bloated, silly and utterly pointless 5-GT and X6). BMW's best work is the 1 and 3 series. Everything else they do pales in comparison to those two product lines. The 5 is still among the best cars in its class, but the days of BMW dominating that segment ended with the E39.

Going back as little as a decade, Audis were mostly slow and dull. They had some hot products, but none of them reached our shores. That changed with the 2.7T powered S4 and A6, and they've made remarkable progress in a very short time since then - RS4, R8/V10, TT-RS, and now RS5.

While Audi was working on those, BMW stuffed their turbo V8 into a couple of 2.5 ton trucks and slapped the M badge on them. What does that tell you?

Any BMW driver, no how fanatically loyal they are, should be thankful for Audi's desire to take them head on. There's absolutely zero competitive threat from the C350. The new 335is exists entirely because the S4 makes BMW very, very nervous.
    agree with you on all points man! :D

don't get me wrong, BMW makes a fine product, but both Audi and Infiniti have caught up to them in the handling department! Infiniti has come a long way in just 10 years considering that in 2000, they were almost on the verge of becoming a dead company with lack luster products in every single regard! they have come a relatively long way in just a short period of time! Infiniti trails BMW by only a tiny margin in overall refinement with engine noise, material quality, and road/steering feel, but with each generation they get better in all these regards, to the point that the 2011 M37/56, so far is practically equal to a BMW in all those previously mentioned regards! the interior in the new M is absolutely fantastic and one of the nicest I have ever seen, next to a couple of Audi's of course!

it will be interesting to see what BMW does with the next gen 3-series next year! they are going to have to really step up there game, especially in the exterior body style department, to take the top spot again!
    Infiniti has come a long way in just 10 years considering that in 2000, they were almost on the verge of becoming a dead company with lack luster products in every single regard! they have come a relatively long way in just a short period of time! Infiniti trails BMW by only a tiny margin in overall refinement with engine noise, material quality, and road/steering feel, but with each generation they get better in all these regards, to the point that the 2011 M37/56, so far is practically equal to a BMW in all those previously mentioned regards! the interior in the new M is absolutely fantastic and one of the nicest I have ever seen, next to a couple of Audi's of course!

Agreed. The progress made by both Audi and Infiniti in the last decade has been remarkable. You can still put down the G37 and the outgoing M35/45 as a bit cheap and a bit crude, but with the new M37/56, at least on the surface, there is no visible compromise.

Acura and Lexus should be embarrassed at how badly Infiniti has beaten them with the new M. It's not even a contest. While the exterior of the latest 5 is boring, to BMW's credit they delivered an excellent interior that is far better than the outgoing 5 and ranks with the new M as the best in the segment.

Audi needs to deliver with the 2012 A6 if they want to keep up. The rumor is that it will share its general interior design with the A7, kind of like the A4 and A5. If that's true, I'm expecting good things.
    edited March 2010
    agreed about Lexus and Acura; and it pains to say it about Acura because I have a TL and I absolutely love it but, Acura needs to completely redo the RL and make it much more sporty looking and add a V8/RWD option to the vehicle!

Honda was suppose to introduce a V8/RWD for 2009 or 2010 but when the recession hit their was talk about postponing it for a few years but I think that is a huge mistake! I've read recently though Acura is suppose to redo the RL for 2011 and I've read that they still might put the V8/RWD platform in so here is to finger crossing that they do! its tuff though to introduce that when gas prices are anticipated to be really high again this summer and you know V8 sales will plummet again when that happens!

Acura was suppose to reintroduce the NSX but that too, due to the recession, was put on the back burner till about 2013 or 2014 I think! Acura really screwed up with the ZDX! what a ugly piece of shi$% that thing is ungodly ugly and is so big and expensive yet everyone complains there isn't really that much more room in it then their sedans so what the heck is the point of it?? just boggles the mind!

I can't wait to see what Infiniti does with the 3rd Generation G for 2012 or 2013! I hope they take it in the direction they did the M but maybe change the bodystyle a bit more dramatically, similar to what Nissan did to the Maxima, but not exactly like that so that the G is still considerably differentiated from the Maxima! I do agree with you that the early model year G's were a bit crude! I really didn't start falling in love with it till 2009 when they dumped the 330hp engine and 7-spd into it, plus they upgraded the interior again! but I do think there is room for improvement so the next gen I am highly anticipating!

I really like the A4 and A6 Sedans! I never thought in a million years, just a few years ago, I would ever consider a Audi but I really like the direction Audi is going, even more than BMW! Personally, I think that BMW really needs a good slap in the face and do something a little bit more bold and aggressive with the bodystyles on the 3,5,and 7 series for their next redesigns, but others like it the way it is but that is what I think BMW needs to do!
    While Audi was working on those, BMW stuffed their turbo V8 into a couple of 2.5 ton trucks and slapped the M badge on them. What does that tell you?

According to the M School instructors, the X6M is the best autocross model BMW has produced to date. Give them a call, you'll learn something. Or better yet, attend the M School and experience it yourself. I do a lot of reading myself and most of it is opinions, which is OK. Yet you shouldn't base your's on what someone else thinks is the case.

Oh well, enough. We all have our opinions and that was mine. :shades:
    Yes, by 2014, no more 4-door M3. Added horsies in the V-8

As we reported earlier, the next-generation M3 will eschew the current car’s powerful but thirsty V8 in favor of turbocharged six-cylinder motivation. Although BMW has indicated otherwise, Automobile says that the next-generation M3 will be more powerful than the current car – the magazine suggests 450 horsepower. BMW has previously hinted that the car will focus more on reduced weight as a means of improving performance and handling.

Expect the next-generation M3 to go on sale in about three years as a 2014 model.

All they need do is get it to 3K pounds and 450hp will get around the track in first place every time... :)

No More M3 Sedan

Regards,
    OW
    edited March 2010
    According to the M School instructors, the X6M is the best autocross model BMW has produced to date. Give them a call, you'll learn something.

I don't care what the M School instructors say is the best autocross anything, and I don't need to give them a call so I can "learn something". It weighs 5324 pounds, it's a cynical niche filler that no one asked for with no cargo space, no people space, jacked up on stilts and yet utterly useless off-road. The end. The X6 is a stupid product that doesn't need to exist, and the X6M is a really stupid product that doesn't need to exist. I saw Top Gear test the X5M and the equally ridiculous V12 Q7, I know what these big, overstuffed dinosaurs are like around a track. No thanks.

Call me when BMW has an answer to the R8.
  • tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    I really like the A4 and A6 Sedans! I never thought in a million years, just a few years ago, I would ever consider a Audi but I really like the direction Audi is going, even more than BMW! Personally, I think that BMW really needs a good slap in the face and do something a little bit more bold and aggressive with the bodystyles on the 3,5,and 7 series for their next redesigns, but others like it the way it is but that is what I think BMW needs to do!

Smarty, as you've seen in my other posts, I currently own a 2005 TL, but previously owned a '98 A4. While the TL is more reliable and has more power, the A4 was MUCH more fun to drive. And also, even as the TLs mechanical reliability is better.... the A4's interior quality was well ahead of the TL. The TL is creaky and things are rough (like the rough movement of the outside power windows, or the dash rattles, or the squealing of the rear door stop). The A4, even after 90K miles, had NO interior issues. The TL is a "nice" car and I really can't complain. The A4 was a car I could be passionate about. I think you'd be impressed. If the costs are too high, get one a few years old.
    Smarty, as you've seen in my other posts, I currently own a 2005 TL, but previously owned a '98 A4. While the TL is more reliable and has more power, the A4 was MUCH more fun to drive. And also, even as the TLs mechanical reliability is better.... the A4's interior quality was well ahead of the TL.

The good news is that the latest Audis are both more fun to drive and more reliable than they ever have been. The supercharged 3.0TFSI V6 beats everything in Acura's arsenal (and it doesn't eat fuel pumps), and with Drive Select and QuattroSport, Audi has surpassed everything Honda's SH-AWD can do. xDrive isn't even on the same planet.

Not everything they do is perfect. I'm still not crazy about the Golf derived cars, which despite the Quattro badges are actually using VW 4Motion systems and VW drivetrains, and its annoying how many products and options Audi chooses not to send to the US.

Still, with the exception of the porky Q7, Audi makes the best looking luxury cars on the market, and their laser locked focus on performance and engineering is impossible to ignore. Audi is the opposite of a brand like Lincoln. They know exactly where they want to go.
    Well of course you don't need to learn anything, you already know all there is from watching TV. Hahahahaha

And regarding BMW's answer to the R8... watch for the M6 model change. But don't expect a call.

BTW, if you happen to know of a car that is "everything" to everyone, let me know.
    And regarding BMW's answer to the R8... watch for the M6 model change. But don't expect a call.

If it's just going to be another two door 5 series, I don't think so. If the 6 turns into an actual sports car, then maybe the R8 and the 911 might have something to worry about.
    If it's just going to be another two door 5 series, I don't think so. If the 6 turns into an actual sports car, then maybe the R8 and the 911 might have something to worry about

The M6 is not even close to being a two door 5 Series as it is. The M6 has a V10, 500 hp motor, with transmission options not available in the 5 Series, not to mention it is a different model in the line-up with a completely different design from the 5 Series. It doesn't resemble the 5 Series in any way. Are we on the same page here at all?
    Well, looking at the 'Ring times for the R8 and the M6 (E63) are 8:04 and 8:09, respectively with the M5 (E60) coming in at 8:13. Not too shabby!

Regards,
    OW
    edited March 2010
    Well, looking at the 'Ring times for the R8 and the M6 (E63) are 8:04 and 8:09, respectively with the M5 (E60) coming in at 8:13. Not too shabby!

Absolutely, not bad at all. And yet we really are not comparing apples to apples here as the R8 is new technology whereas both the E60 M5 & E63 M6 are 2005 technology. BMW has always had competition crop up during one of its model years yet when the new mode comes out, it is right back as the leader of the pack. That is why I said wait until you see the new M6. Audi will be scrambling again.
  • 2001gs4302001gs430 Member Posts: 767
    Styling wise, the R8 is at one end of the spectrum, while the 6 is holding firm to the other end ;)

Give the R8 a similar engine and similar levels of power (say, in the R8 V10), and all of a sudden the M6 isn't nearly so close. The M6 is much closer to the XKR than it is to the R8 or the 911. It's a big touring coupe, not a sports car.
  • clemboclembo Member Posts: 253
    edited March 2010
    If the X6M is the best that BMW can make for autocrossing, then they owe an apology to those folks who have purchased Z4's or 135's. I compete in autocrossing and I have never seen an X6M out there, many 3's and Z's are out there. No BMW is really the car of choice for autocrossing but they do perform well when properly modified.

Look I have owned many BMW's and currently still own one but I do agree with the overriding opinion that they have changed (lost?) their way. They are now a large company that is succesfully using their great brand to go mainstream and compete in every segment. I wish they would get back to some of their core values that made this brand special. Fun, light cars that handled well, had great engines and simple but nice designs and interiors. They are trying to all things and are missing the boat on being great at a few things.
    I wish they would get back to some of their core values that made this brand special. Fun, light cars that handled well, had great engines and simple but nice designs and interiors. They are trying to all things and are missing the boat on being great at a few things.

Unfortunately where they are going is full steam ahead on FWD, in an effort to chase more and more volume and to compete with Wolfsburg. BMW likes to brag about being independent. The problem with that is its getting harder and harder for relatively small independent automakers to survive.
    edited March 2010
    I compete in autocrossing and I have never seen an X6M out there, many 3's and Z's are out there. No BMW is really the car of choice for autocrossing but they do perform well when properly modified.

I have not seen an M6 on the track either, probably because most people that buy an 80K + vehicle don't want to run it on the track. I am just telling you what the M School Instructors say about the car. The suspension and DTC is unique to that model and as a result handles amazingly. Whether or not you have seen them on the track or not doesn't really mean a whole lot.

Regarding AX... our chapter does a little as well. And on a fairly grand scale at that. We have everything from Corvettes, Lotus, Porsche, Lexus F Series to BMWs competing. You may want to go to our website and check the times before you jump out there and say no BMW is a car of choice for AX.

http://www.houston-bmwcca.com/
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    The M6 is not even close to being a two door 5 Series as it is. The M6 has a V10, 500 hp motor, with transmission options not available in the 5 Series, not to mention it is a different model in the line-up with a completely different design from the 5 Series. It doesn't resemble the 5 Series in any way. Are we on the same page here at all?

I think he's referring to the fact that the 6-series and 5-series share a platform. Maybe he should've said "two door M5."
    probably because most people that buy an 80K + vehicle don't want to run it on the track.

This does not sound right, when you have 100K + Porsches, 80K + Corvettes, GT-Rs on track. There must be other reasons...
    This does not sound right, when you have 100K + Porsches, 80K + Corvettes, GT-Rs on track. There must be other reasons...

Well that is the way it is here. We have a a few people bring out new cars but that has not been the rule. I guess it would have a lot to do with how the AX is setup, how big it is and etc.
  • zorro71zorro71 Member Posts: 3
    All,
    I plan on purchasing a car within the next month or two. I was hoping to get everyone's thoughts on the below cars.

Here are the cars I am considering:
    2010 MB E550 coupe

2010 Audi S5

2010 Infiniti G conv or coupe

I am intrigued by the BMW 335i coupe and upcoming 335is coupe, but not seriously considering either since I read that BMW will be introducing an entirely new 3-series model in a couple of years.

Which car do you recommend to buy, and why?
    Thanks!
  • clemboclembo Member Posts: 253
    Fair point Buzzard, I may not have used the correct words when I stated that no BMW is the car of choice for AX. I have seen some E36 3 series that have posted great times, usually better than the E46 cars. My response was that many open AX competitions are dominated by Caymans, Miata's and other light quick cars. Like you I am a BMWCCA member, as well as a PCA member so I have competed in alot of different formats.

My beef with BMW of late has to do with their attempt at growing volume in all segments leaving behind what made them great. I know that their growth over the past 10 years has been huge, they have grown market share and are a true lux competitor. I guess that my opinion is that I would rather see them continue to seperate themselves from the pack in the area that they really created - high end cars with great driving dynamics. Leave the heavy, expensive SUV's to others.
    edited March 2010
    Here are the cars I am considering:
    2010 MB E550 coupe

2010 Audi S5

2010 Infiniti G conv or coupe

I'm not a fan of the E class coupe. The styling is awkward (though less so than the sedan) and the driving experience is too doughy and bland compared to an S5. I also wouldn't recommend the G convertible. The G coupe is a good car, but the convertible conversion didn't go very well.

In a recent Car and Driver test, it managed to beat the terrible IS350C, but lost out to the A5 2.0T and 328i cabrios.

My recommendation would be the S5 in either coupe or cabrio form, with the 335i or 335is coupe or cabrio in second place. The 3 series may be getting old, but its still better than the rest.
    Four-Door Firepower - Comparison Test

So it’s come to this. In a world of $3 a gallon gas, ever-tightening emissions regulations and an ozone layer starting to look like that map of AT&T’s 3G coverage, the entry-level horsepower number for a top-line sports sedan now stands at a staggering 300. It’s incredible, really, how performance seems to thrive even when squeezed by the regulatory Vise-Grips of the EPA, DOT and NHTSA. And we, fans of performance driving and connoisseurs of the perfectly cambered offramp, are the happy beneficiaries.

In our test group, we’ve got incredible diversity in 6-cylinder engines that range in displacement from 3.0 to 3.7 liters, and from 300 to 333 bhp. Supercharger? Check. Twin turbos? Roger that. Variable timing and lift, and a smattering of direct injection too?
    link title
    great article, AUDI IS ON FIRE!!! I'll tell you one thing, BMW is going to need to hit a grand slam with the new 3-series when it comes out if it is going to be back on top again!
    The S4 has outmatched the 335i in every comparison test I've seen. As I said before, the entire reason behind the 335is is because BMW knew they had been bested. For those that place the true RWD experience above all there is still a reason to choose the 3 over the S4. There is absolutely no reason to buy a 335xi, however. The S4 takes the AWD 3 to the cleaners.
    I was just curious to find out what engine of the entry level luxury segment and mid-level luxury segment do you feel are the most refined/quiet at idle?

In the entry level luxury market lets compare the Acura TL, Infiniti G37, Lexus ES350, Audi A4, BMW 3-series, and Mercedes C-Class.

Lets all see who you think is the quietest at idle in the mid-level segment so that would be, Acura RL, Infiniti M, Lexus GS, BMW 5-Series, Audi A6, and Mercedes E-Class! (Let's Compare the V6 Engines for these vehicles to keep it on the same field).

Can't wait to here your ideas and opinions! Happy Comparisons!!! :shades:
  • PavarottiPavarotti Member Posts: 13
    forget about 'entry level' luxury, I would buy a 3 y.o. *top-of-the-line* luxury car for the SAME price -- either a 2007 Benz S550 or 2007-8 Jaguar XJR
    BMW's are too ugly, Lexus too boring. Acuras & Infinity too unrefined.
    edited March 2010
    Thanks for not answering any of my questions! My posting wasn't intended for what cars do you think suck thread and what not in the comparison is better! :mad: I asked specific questions on one specific characteristic of the vehicles.
  • twinbtwinb Member Posts: 140
    The Lexus wins my vote in both segments. You can hardly hear it running.
    I was just curious to find out what engine of the entry level luxury segment and mid-level luxury segment do you feel are the most refined/quiet at idle?

In the entry level luxury market lets compare the Acura TL, Infiniti G37, Lexus ES350, Audi A4, BMW 3-series, and Mercedes C-Class.

According to C&D, the Infiniti G37 is quieter than every other car on the list. It was the only one that managed to stay under 40dB at idle. The one I couldn't find data for was the current ES350. I'm not sure I understand what the point of knowing that is, though. What does idle noise have to do with refinement? The Infiniti's engine is probably the least refined of the group, and yet it wins.
    I can only speak to the Lexus, 3 and G, from my comparison test drives about 3 years ago: they are all quiet at idle, but I liked the sound of the IS 3.5 L V6 the most when you floored the go pedal. Of course, I am bias because I have an IS350 :D
  • bornoborno Member Posts: 77
    edited March 2010
    So after a looong search, I purchased a 2007 A6, 4.2 with S-line(includes sport suspension), cold pkg, tech and sport seats(a rare option). The car is daytona grey pearl, has 45K, and is certified. They were asking 37.9 and agreed to take 35.8. Made the deal in late february, but picked it up in march and got additional $500 off because there was a "march madness' promo since the dealership was just bought buy benzel bush, a NJ chain. Now, since they screwed up my registration, they are sending me an additional $500, so $34.8(also got 1.9%), although I had to fly down , take a couple of trains, they picked me up at the secaucus train station. Car is Great, couldn't justify the extra 8-10K to get into an S6, given that I'll be sharing with family.

Third audi, can see a day when there are just audis in my family. will replace wife's sienna with a Q7 in a couple of years, maybe replace my M3conv., with a RS/S5conv, and could see kids driven A4s. Only drawback is kinda miss the manual tranny, even though the sport mode auto tranny is pretty good.

For me, and a lot of people on this thread Audi rocks!
    According to C&D, the Infiniti G37 is quieter than every other car on the list. It was the only one that managed to stay under 40dB at idle. The one I couldn't find data for was the current ES350. I'm not sure I understand what the point of knowing that is, though. What does idle noise have to do with refinement? The Infiniti's engine is probably the least refined of the group, and yet it wins.

Listen, we don't have to nit pick here. This is a luxury lounge and we are suppose to talk about luxury vehicles and compare them to each other. I just wanted to start a little harmless comparison between them. What is wrong with that?

I have at some point heard all these engines at idle, whether when test driving them or just being in a parking lot next to one when it was turned on. I love Infiniti, but I would strongly disagree with C/D's testing. Of the three Japanese companies, I have always found Infiniti to be the loudest and most unrefined sounding engines of the three, with Acura being in the middle and Lexus sounding silent as a church mouse when running at idle. When I test drove the ES350 last year, I had to get out of the car and go up to the hood because I couldn't hear the car running it was that quiet.

I've been in the parking lot next to BMW 5-series several times when running and I couldn't hardly hear them either, same comes to the A6.

I think it would come down to Lexus and maybe Audi for quietest engines at idle. Not too sure about Mercedes though because I haven't heard the latest C and E class V6s at idle in a while.
    edited March 2010
    So after a looong search, I purchased a 2007 A6, 4.2 with S-line(includes sport suspension), cold pkg, tech and sport seats(a rare option). The car is daytona grey pearl, has 45K, and is certified.

Congrats, sounds like a great ride! In the recently released 2010 JD Power VDS report which measures 2007 cars, the A6 was ranked best in class, ahead of even CR's darling Infiniti M. Best 2007 Premium Midsize
  • jimbresjimbres Member Posts: 2,025
    Acuras & Infinity too unrefined.

What's an "Infinity", anyway? (Yes, spelling does count, my friend.)
    Mercedes-Benz E65 AMG - It's Coming!

The German magazines Auto Motor und Sport is reporting that Mercedes is releasing a new AMG E class in the summer of this year.

The new model will be called E65 AMG and the company has already patented the name with the German patent department. Not much is known about the car except that it will use the 6.0 V12 from the '65 AMG models. Prices might start around 150,000 Euros.

link title
    Report: Next BMW M6 to take cues from Vision concept, targets Audi R8

We were all wondering how BMW was going to manage to bring its Vision Efficient Dynamics Concept to the road, and now it looks like we may have our answer. According to Autocar, elements of the wild diesel-electric sports car will crop up in the next-generation M6. The report claims that the company will send the efficient drivetrain packing in favor of a more robust twin-turbo V8 powerplant sourced from the current M3.

Why would BMW be interested in crafting the M6 into a mid-engine, V8 terror? It might just have something to do with the rabid success of the Audi R8, but Autocar thinks a similar model would allow BMW to do battle with Porsche 911 and the oft-rumored baby Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG. It all sounds good floating around the interweb, but color us skeptical.
    link title
    The new model will be called E65 AMG and the company has already patented the name with the German patent department. Not much is known about the car except that it will use the 6.0 V12 from the '65 AMG models. Prices might start around 150,000 Euros.

That's just silly. Who looks at an E63 and says "not fast enough". Mercedes is just upset that they have a model without the most insane level of horsepower in its class (RS6 is more powerful) so they have to fire back knowing Audi and BMW aren't dumb enough to stuff their own V-12s into the A6 and 5 series.

What comes next, an E65 AMG Black Series with 670hp, and a $300,000 price tag? Who doesn't want that?
    Why would BMW be interested in crafting the M6 into a mid-engine, V8 terror? It might just have something to do with the rabid success of the Audi R8, but Autocar thinks a similar model would allow BMW to do battle with Porsche 911 and the oft-rumored baby Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG.

I don't buy it. Completely changing the 6 series would mean giving up competition with the XK, SL, and Maserati GT. I don't think they want to just hand that market over. I predict that the 6 will remain a big 2+2 GT coupe, possibly as a single retractable hardtop model ala Z4.