Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Luxury Lounge

Comments

• zorro71zorro71 Posts: 3
    All,
    I plan on purchasing a car within the next month or two. I was hoping to get everyone's thoughts on the below cars.

Here are the cars I am considering:
    2010 MB E550 coupe

2010 Audi S5

2010 Infiniti G conv or coupe

I am intrigued by the BMW 335i coupe and upcoming 335is coupe, but not seriously considering either since I read that BMW will be introducing an entirely new 3-series model in a couple of years.

Which car do you recommend to buy, and why?
    Thanks!
  • clemboclembo Posts: 253
    Fair point Buzzard, I may not have used the correct words when I stated that no BMW is the car of choice for AX. I have seen some E36 3 series that have posted great times, usually better than the E46 cars. My response was that many open AX competitions are dominated by Caymans, Miata's and other light quick cars. Like you I am a BMWCCA member, as well as a PCA member so I have competed in alot of different formats.

My beef with BMW of late has to do with their attempt at growing volume in all segments leaving behind what made them great. I know that their growth over the past 10 years has been huge, they have grown market share and are a true lux competitor. I guess that my opinion is that I would rather see them continue to seperate themselves from the pack in the area that they really created - high end cars with great driving dynamics. Leave the heavy, expensive SUV's to others.
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    edited March 2010
    Here are the cars I am considering:
    2010 MB E550 coupe

2010 Audi S5

2010 Infiniti G conv or coupe

I'm not a fan of the E class coupe. The styling is awkward (though less so than the sedan) and the driving experience is too doughy and bland compared to an S5. I also wouldn't recommend the G convertible. The G coupe is a good car, but the convertible conversion didn't go very well.

In a recent Car and Driver test, it managed to beat the terrible IS350C, but lost out to the A5 2.0T and 328i cabrios.

My recommendation would be the S5 in either coupe or cabrio form, with the 335i or 335is coupe or cabrio in second place. The 3 series may be getting old, but its still better than the rest.
  • skarieskarie Posts: 78
    Four-Door Firepower - Comparison Test

So it’s come to this. In a world of $3 a gallon gas, ever-tightening emissions regulations and an ozone layer starting to look like that map of AT&T’s 3G coverage, the entry-level horsepower number for a top-line sports sedan now stands at a staggering 300. It’s incredible, really, how performance seems to thrive even when squeezed by the regulatory Vise-Grips of the EPA, DOT and NHTSA. And we, fans of performance driving and connoisseurs of the perfectly cambered offramp, are the happy beneficiaries.

In our test group, we’ve got incredible diversity in 6-cylinder engines that range in displacement from 3.0 to 3.7 liters, and from 300 to 333 bhp. Supercharger? Check. Twin turbos? Roger that. Variable timing and lift, and a smattering of direct injection too?
    link title
  • smarty666smarty666 Posts: 1,503
    great article, AUDI IS ON FIRE!!! I'll tell you one thing, BMW is going to need to hit a grand slam with the new 3-series when it comes out if it is going to be back on top again!
    The S4 has outmatched the 335i in every comparison test I've seen. As I said before, the entire reason behind the 335is is because BMW knew they had been bested. For those that place the true RWD experience above all there is still a reason to choose the 3 over the S4. There is absolutely no reason to buy a 335xi, however. The S4 takes the AWD 3 to the cleaners.
    I was just curious to find out what engine of the entry level luxury segment and mid-level luxury segment do you feel are the most refined/quiet at idle?

In the entry level luxury market lets compare the Acura TL, Infiniti G37, Lexus ES350, Audi A4, BMW 3-series, and Mercedes C-Class.

Lets all see who you think is the quietest at idle in the mid-level segment so that would be, Acura RL, Infiniti M, Lexus GS, BMW 5-Series, Audi A6, and Mercedes E-Class! (Let's Compare the V6 Engines for these vehicles to keep it on the same field).

Can't wait to here your ideas and opinions! Happy Comparisons!!! :shades:
  • PavarottiPavarotti Posts: 13
    forget about 'entry level' luxury, I would buy a 3 y.o. *top-of-the-line* luxury car for the SAME price -- either a 2007 Benz S550 or 2007-8 Jaguar XJR
    BMW's are too ugly, Lexus too boring. Acuras & Infinity too unrefined.
    edited March 2010
    Thanks for not answering any of my questions! My posting wasn't intended for what cars do you think suck thread and what not in the comparison is better! :mad: I asked specific questions on one specific characteristic of the vehicles.
  • twinbtwinb Posts: 140
    The Lexus wins my vote in both segments. You can hardly hear it running.
    I was just curious to find out what engine of the entry level luxury segment and mid-level luxury segment do you feel are the most refined/quiet at idle?

In the entry level luxury market lets compare the Acura TL, Infiniti G37, Lexus ES350, Audi A4, BMW 3-series, and Mercedes C-Class.

According to C&D, the Infiniti G37 is quieter than every other car on the list. It was the only one that managed to stay under 40dB at idle. The one I couldn't find data for was the current ES350. I'm not sure I understand what the point of knowing that is, though. What does idle noise have to do with refinement? The Infiniti's engine is probably the least refined of the group, and yet it wins.
  • 2001gs4302001gs430 Posts: 767
    I can only speak to the Lexus, 3 and G, from my comparison test drives about 3 years ago: they are all quiet at idle, but I liked the sound of the IS 3.5 L V6 the most when you floored the go pedal. Of course, I am bias because I have an IS350 :D
  • bornoborno Posts: 77
    edited March 2010
    So after a looong search, I purchased a 2007 A6, 4.2 with S-line(includes sport suspension), cold pkg, tech and sport seats(a rare option). The car is daytona grey pearl, has 45K, and is certified. They were asking 37.9 and agreed to take 35.8. Made the deal in late february, but picked it up in march and got additional $500 off because there was a "march madness' promo since the dealership was just bought buy benzel bush, a NJ chain. Now, since they screwed up my registration, they are sending me an additional $500, so $34.8(also got 1.9%), although I had to fly down , take a couple of trains, they picked me up at the secaucus train station. Car is Great, couldn't justify the extra 8-10K to get into an S6, given that I'll be sharing with family.

Third audi, can see a day when there are just audis in my family. will replace wife's sienna with a Q7 in a couple of years, maybe replace my M3conv., with a RS/S5conv, and could see kids driven A4s. Only drawback is kinda miss the manual tranny, even though the sport mode auto tranny is pretty good.

For me, and a lot of people on this thread Audi rocks!
    According to C&D, the Infiniti G37 is quieter than every other car on the list. It was the only one that managed to stay under 40dB at idle. The one I couldn't find data for was the current ES350. I'm not sure I understand what the point of knowing that is, though. What does idle noise have to do with refinement? The Infiniti's engine is probably the least refined of the group, and yet it wins.

Listen, we don't have to nit pick here. This is a luxury lounge and we are suppose to talk about luxury vehicles and compare them to each other. I just wanted to start a little harmless comparison between them. What is wrong with that?

I have at some point heard all these engines at idle, whether when test driving them or just being in a parking lot next to one when it was turned on. I love Infiniti, but I would strongly disagree with C/D's testing. Of the three Japanese companies, I have always found Infiniti to be the loudest and most unrefined sounding engines of the three, with Acura being in the middle and Lexus sounding silent as a church mouse when running at idle. When I test drove the ES350 last year, I had to get out of the car and go up to the hood because I couldn't hear the car running it was that quiet.

I've been in the parking lot next to BMW 5-series several times when running and I couldn't hardly hear them either, same comes to the A6.

I think it would come down to Lexus and maybe Audi for quietest engines at idle. Not too sure about Mercedes though because I haven't heard the latest C and E class V6s at idle in a while.
    edited March 2010
    So after a looong search, I purchased a 2007 A6, 4.2 with S-line(includes sport suspension), cold pkg, tech and sport seats(a rare option). The car is daytona grey pearl, has 45K, and is certified.

Congrats, sounds like a great ride! In the recently released 2010 JD Power VDS report which measures 2007 cars, the A6 was ranked best in class, ahead of even CR's darling Infiniti M. Best 2007 Premium Midsize
  • jimbresjimbres Posts: 2,025
    Acuras & Infinity too unrefined.

What's an "Infinity", anyway? (Yes, spelling does count, my friend.)
    Mercedes-Benz E65 AMG - It's Coming!

The German magazines Auto Motor und Sport is reporting that Mercedes is releasing a new AMG E class in the summer of this year.

The new model will be called E65 AMG and the company has already patented the name with the German patent department. Not much is known about the car except that it will use the 6.0 V12 from the '65 AMG models. Prices might start around 150,000 Euros.

link title
    Report: Next BMW M6 to take cues from Vision concept, targets Audi R8

We were all wondering how BMW was going to manage to bring its Vision Efficient Dynamics Concept to the road, and now it looks like we may have our answer. According to Autocar, elements of the wild diesel-electric sports car will crop up in the next-generation M6. The report claims that the company will send the efficient drivetrain packing in favor of a more robust twin-turbo V8 powerplant sourced from the current M3.

Why would BMW be interested in crafting the M6 into a mid-engine, V8 terror? It might just have something to do with the rabid success of the Audi R8, but Autocar thinks a similar model would allow BMW to do battle with Porsche 911 and the oft-rumored baby Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG. It all sounds good floating around the interweb, but color us skeptical.
    link title
    The new model will be called E65 AMG and the company has already patented the name with the German patent department. Not much is known about the car except that it will use the 6.0 V12 from the '65 AMG models. Prices might start around 150,000 Euros.

That's just silly. Who looks at an E63 and says "not fast enough". Mercedes is just upset that they have a model without the most insane level of horsepower in its class (RS6 is more powerful) so they have to fire back knowing Audi and BMW aren't dumb enough to stuff their own V-12s into the A6 and 5 series.

What comes next, an E65 AMG Black Series with 670hp, and a $300,000 price tag? Who doesn't want that?
    Why would BMW be interested in crafting the M6 into a mid-engine, V8 terror? It might just have something to do with the rabid success of the Audi R8, but Autocar thinks a similar model would allow BMW to do battle with Porsche 911 and the oft-rumored baby Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG.

I don't buy it. Completely changing the 6 series would mean giving up competition with the XK, SL, and Maserati GT. I don't think they want to just hand that market over. I predict that the 6 will remain a big 2+2 GT coupe, possibly as a single retractable hardtop model ala Z4.
    That's just silly. Who looks at an E63 and says "not fast enough". Mercedes is just upset that they have a model without the most insane level of horsepower in its class (RS6 is more powerful) so they have to fire back knowing Audi and BMW aren't dumb enough to stuff their own V-12s into the A6 and 5 series.

I agree. It just doesnt make any sense, why put a V12 in the E class when its already remoured that Mercedez is gonna drop there V12 engines for turbocharged V8. Maybe there trying to catch the panamera.
    I predict that the 6 will remain a big 2+2 GT coupe, possibly as a single retractable hardtop model ala Z4

Looks like your right again.
    NEW BMW 6'

link title
    Looks like your right again.
    NEW BMW 6'

Yep, another 5 series derived GT coupe, just like last time. No mid-engined R8 fighter to see here. It looks like the droopy catfish face is gone, replaced by what appears to be a very slightly more aggressive 5 series nose. Unfortunately it seems like some of the Bangle bustle is still there at the rear.
  • jlbljlbl Posts: 1,333
    Hi Tony, Hi All,

Promised that I would report on the new-5-Series premiere at my usual BMW dealer, but I couldn't cope with the promise because I eventually I was not even in Spain that day. My intention is to pay a visit to the dealer in the next future, but I still don't find a good moment to do so. (Not only because of job.:shades: Today I'm going to my other place in France and I'll be there trekking or skiing for a few days.)

Happy Easter Holiday to whichever enjoying one!

Regards,
    Jose
  • tx_buzzardtx_buzzard Posts: 130
    edited March 2010
    I see your point clembo, and you certainly are not the only one with those feelings. BMW has grown to include other market segments leaving a lot of people not only puzzled but disappointed. But have they really left behind their legacy? The 1 Series seems to be the fit here doesn't it? And they keep suggesting new models within the Series. I think to maintain market share and remain competitive BMW has to test the market to see what will fly. With Porsche and Audi both having success with their SUVs, maybe they felt missing that market share, particulary here in the US which is their biggest market, wouldn't keep them where they want to be. Who really knows what the thinking was... but isn't it true when you do a brand to brand comparison, model for model BMW does what they do very well? Right now Audi has become a real competitor with a few of their models, yet when BMW comes out with their next generation the bar will be raised yet again. That is always the case. BMW is always the target when the competition produce their new models.

Rather than concerning myself so much with the current models, I get frustrated when I read about a front wheel drive BMW!!! Personally I feel that ought to be left to the Mini. But hey, maybe that is why I am not a marketing manager for BMW. :)
  • circlewcirclew Posts: 8,380
    edited March 2010
    They should make this the 6'er and get it over with.

Start competing, for Heaven Sakes!!

Regards,
    OW
  • tlongtlong CaliforniaPosts: 4,754
    ... that the new E-class is less attractive than the previous one? I've felt that the current C-class and previous E-class are among the most attractive sedans out there.

Of course I'm not likely to be owning either one of them. :cry:
    I was at my local Mercedes dealer last weekend looking at the new C and E-classes and I couldn't help but notice these vehicles seem really low to the ground. Has anyone else noticed that about these Mercedes vehicles?
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    I've felt that the current C-class and previous E-class are among the most attractive sedans out there.

I don't have the same aversion to the C and E that some here do. For a small sedan, the C looks fine, IMO, and the new E has turned my head a couple of times on the road already.

TM
  • bmlexusbmlexus Posts: 755
    edited April 2010
    I was at my local Mercedes dealer last weekend looking at the new C and E-classes and I couldn't help but notice these vehicles seem really low to the ground. Has anyone else noticed that about these Mercedes vehicles?

Yes, I did. It seems to me like every other sedan is getting more n more closer to the ground, be it the new C,E even the S is not far off.

The whole lexus line up is low to the ground. LS460, the GS, IS. ES not sure, even the upcoming LT200h.

Does any1 think current 5 series is low to the ground?, maybe its all for better driving :blush: :sick:

Maybe its a trick? People want better ground clearance, buy our suv :P