Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Luxury Lounge

Comments

• esfesf Posts: 1,020
    The A8L 4.2TDI (my favorite luxury sedan-- call me biased) also gets better mileage than the LS600hL, as well as similar acceleration numbers. Audi quotes about 5.8 for 0-60mph, and it gets 33 US mpg. Very good... very good indeed. I think of it as the ultimate exec express.

'06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet • '04 Lexus RX330
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    How has your XK been? Is the rear seat at all useful? Because when I went to the Jag dealer with my son to do a (preview) drive of the XJ for my wife, he attempted to sit in the back of the XK, and said it felt like "sitting in a bucket." This is a boy who knows his cars, and thinks the XK is beautiful (as do I), so I trust him.

The rear seats in the XK have always been useless, at least in the convertibles anyway; I've never owned a XK coupe or tried to sit in the back of one. If you have legs, you won't fit. They are nothing more than a leather parcel shelf with seat belts. If you're looking for a true "4-seat" convertible, the XK is out.

As a luxury GT convertible for two though, the XKR is the best in the segment, at least until I get a chance to drive the Maserati GT anyway. It might not have M6 power, but I'll take Jag looks over M power any day of the week.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Posts: 1,588
    We shouldn't be in this position. We've had almost 35 years to make some serious changes and instead, we've done nothing.

EXACTLY. We could/should have been oil-independant by now!
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    We shouldn't be in this position. We've had almost 35 years to make some serious changes and instead, we've done nothing.

EXACTLY. We could/should have been oil-independant by now!

Big Money / Powerful Politics / Human Nature

TagMan
  • deweydewey Posts: 5,243
    "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country."
    JFK

We ourselve are the main culprits for our energy dependence. Government and businesses do not dictate to us what cars we should drive. Nor do they do not dictate how big our energy inefficient McMansions are suppose to be.

If fuel prices drop again as it did in the 90s then fuel efficiency will become an auto buyer's priority number 38 as it was ten years ago.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,625
    Hello, LG: Did you buy or lease the XKR? What is the exterior/interior color? I imagine that it has been more than a faithful servant so far...

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

• hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    A rather obvious and alarming fact, don't you think, that the USA continues to be so vulnerable because of our addiction to foreign oil despite the gas lines of the 1970's?

One poster told me I should go buy a Prius and leave him alone. Sounds to me like the very definition of complacency.

Synfuels, ethanol mixes, hydrogen fuel cells, hybrid and diesel technologies collectively haven't even make a small dent in our oil dependency because there seems to be no great need in pushing for them.

Automakers continue to churn out mammoth crossovers like the Enclave, Acadia and Outlook with the media sounding the trumpets about how great these vehicles are. Buried in the small print is that folks will probably get around 12 mpg in everyday driving.

What happened today at JFK Airport shows where the terrorist mindset is at. Bring down the "Great Satan" by hitting him where he is most vulnerable: his oil.
    Hello, LG: Did you buy or lease the XKR? What is the exterior/interior color? I imagine that it has been more than a faithful servant so far...

Mine is the XK8, I bought it not long after launch and the XKR wasn't yet available. The exterior is liquid silver metallic, and the interior is slate blue\ivory with the burl walnut trim. Some critics have taken shots at the interior, but I don't really understand it. With the full leather and wood, the XK is easily as nice as any 911 or 650, and its about a thousand percent better than the old XK.

So far its been great, no throttle "learning" issues like the X3 or anything else. The quality rep for the X and S-type is still pretty bad, but the XJ and XK seem to be doing pretty well lately.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,625
    Thanks for the update. And regarding critics and their opinions, there is only one critic that matters...

Beautiful car.

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

I love it when people praise my BMW 335i . Keep it up please and dont stop the compliments until that future day when I sell my car at a very high resale value (crossing my fingers)

Please note the one sentence below:

: The small 3 Series is the very best BMW--aint that the truth. Far better than my wife's 5 series touring, a 7 series , 6 series or any other BMW model. The BMW 335i is the best BMW ever made (in my highly biased opinion)

SOURCE: NEW YORK TIMES

The BMW 335i engine makes a vocal argument to being the best turbo powerplant this side of a $130,000 Porsche. Free-spinning and seamless, it evinces none of the power lag or spiky peaks you expect from turbochargers, achieving peak torque at a low 1,400 r.p.m.

Even the burly new M3 with the V-8 will produce 5 less pound-feet of torque (295) than the 335i turbo models.The result is a 3 Series that feels roughly as quick, but less high-strung, than the current-generation M3 (rated at 333 horsepower).

During my blast north of New York along the Hudson River, the BMW’s mad turbocharged rush was a new thrill. More familiar was the unity of power, steering, shifter and brakes that no other car in this class can quite reproduce. The suspension is supple when you want it, firm when you need it, and the car will cruise or command any road, depending on your mood.

link title

SOURCE :USA TODAY

In this case, the low-end V-6 version of the Audi Q7 crossover SUV is less complicated but just as refined and sporty as the pricier, accessory-festooned V-8 model (though can't match the V-8's rocketing go-power).
    Other examples of unintended Teutonic minimalist superiority: The small 3 Series is the best BMW; Audi's own small, relatively spare, A3 is its standout sedan.

And the base Q7 poses an interesting chin-stroker. For no more than you'd pay for a loaded Mazda CX-9 or GMC Acadia crossover SUV, both of them north of $43,000, you can have the striking Audi Q7 3.6 with respected quattro all-wheel drive.

link title
    Hallelujah,

a new Bangle convert has been found. Finally Howard, you and I are not the only ones.

SOURCE: New York Times

Bangle school of styling that so provoked BMW purists (their motto: forever square) with its restless kinks and bulges, has grown into a mature, often-imitated style that can no longer be casually dismissed. The look definitely flatters the 3 Series. It was liberally applied to the fifth-generation sedan for 2006. A coupe soon followed, along with a welcome rarity, a wagon as fun and shapely as it is practical.

link title
    "The unity of power, steering, shifter and brakes that no other vehicle in this class can quite reproduce."

That pretty much sums up, Dewey, why I keep coming back to BMW. A few other reasons are the great seats, perfect driving position, steering wheel feel, comfortable left foot well and engine efficiency. When the latter is compared, BMW engines always provide the best mpg. Think of those gas-guzzling Infinitis! :lemon: I'm getting better mpg in my 545i than I would be getting in an Infiniti M35 V6! :)

I am very much looking forward to checking out the 535d when it gets here. That should be the perfect vehicle for me: driving thrills married to great fuel economy with a nice functional trunk.
    I guess it would be too much to expect it to be available for leasing in the summer of 2008 with diesel fuel nearby.

Well, then there's always the summer of 2010! :shades:
    The Bangle look definitely flatters the 3 Series. I didn't like the tail lights at first, but I do now.

Has a more perfect driving experience for the money ever been created than that in the BMW 3 Series? What a great vehicle!
    Should be on everyone's list as one of the greatest vehicles of all time. For pure driving pleasure, it is the best BMW, Dewey. No question about it.

Even the entry-level 328i offers perfect driving dynamics and great fuel efficiency that the others (think Infiniti) often imitate but can never actually achieve. :)
    It's no surprise that I completely agree with you Dewey, and Hpowders, about the 3-Series. The BMW 3-Series rules in its class. There is no other car that has toppled the 3. And as long as BMW continues to stay ahead of the curve, as it has consistenly done, the 3 will reign for a very long time. The 3-Series is already an icon, IMO. Essentially as good as it gets in its class.

As far as second place behind the reigning 3?... surprisingly, the newest C-Class might possibily prove itself to be a second place candidate.

TagMan
    If I didn't need a bigger trunk and I was a single guy, the 335i coupe or dare I even think it, the 335id (probably as a sedan at first entry) would be my unquestionable choice next year.

As it is, I will be looking at the 2008 X3 and 5 Series offerings (hopefully as diesels). C&D recently raved about BMW's overhaul of the X3.
    I am, once again, interested in the X3, as a diesel, as a vehicle to drive when it isn't appropriate to drive the 911.

TagMan
    As far as second place behind the reigning 3?... surprisingly, the newest C-Class might possibily prove itself to be a second place candidate.

I think that will most likely go to the A4 after its redesign.
    Perhaps we will both be driving X3 diesels next year.

Then we can compare how many one pound packages of Kona beans we can each squeeze into the 70 cu ft of cargo area.

One thing I know. You will get more Kona bags into the X3 than the X5! :)
  • blkhemiblkhemi Posts: 1,717
    Yes, the 3-Series looks to be the reigning champ again in this class, despite some interesting new competition from the G35/37. And with the 335, it's all the more the reason it will remain at the top of the heap, for now at least.

With Cadillac ushering in the new CTS, and with Audi fixing the Audi A4's weight distubution problems with their new MLP platforms, this segement is again warming up with cars ready to pounce on the 3-Series.
    I think that will most likely go to the A4 after its redesign.

What's the ETA?

TagMan
  • drumminhamdrumminham Posts: 10
    The new A4 debuts at Frankfurt in september. My guess is around 8 months from then. Road&Track says summer of 08.

Maybe some of you remember me from another life but I'm a huge Audi guy, and I can't wait for the B8 A4
    Thanks, drumminham.

I found some gorgeous pics (of the 2009 Audi A4).

TagMan
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Those ARE gorgeous, tagman! :)
    With the current A5/S5 models we have a pretty good idea of what a car with a MLP platform car will be like. The one thing missing now are more potent engines and hopefully the upcoming A4 will have them. Also will the A4 V6 be available with manual? A while ago a V6 A4 did not even have a stick.

For me beauty is skin-deep and is embedded in a car's chassis and drivetrain. Pretty faces can go so far...
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    That A4 immediately evokes thoughts of the 3-series. If it's priced right and performs right, even a person looking specifically for a 3-series would be hard pressed to justify buying a 3-series over this.
    I believe the new X5 has improved its cargo space. If the new X5 still does not have the same cargo space as a X3 than that in itself is quite pathetic.

The new Audi Q7 got rave reviews from USAToday.

One thing I notice about many Audi reviews is the opinion that larger displacements among Audi engines (non S or non-RS versions) are not worth the extra cost. For example various reviews did not find much of a difference between a Audi A4 2.0 vs. V6 in terms of performance. In fact almost 10 years ago many reviewers favored the A4 1.8T over the A4 2.8. The same conclusion was reached in the article linked below regarding the Q7 V6 vs the V8 version. In Audi's case much bigger is not necessarily much better

link title
    That A4 immediately evokes thoughts of the 3-series.

Just as the A5's styling strongly resembles that of the BMW 335i coupe.
    Anybody getting an X5 is doing it strictly for the status.
    It is one of the least utilitarian SUV's out there.

I don't mind that its 3rd row is a joke. It's far from the only SUV with a tight 3rd row. What I do mind is that it is a $1200 useless option. The 3rd row should at least be included in its base price.

From what I have read, the X3 handles much better than the X5.
    Having driven an X5, it wouldn't take much!
    The current issue of Roundel, the BMWCCA magazine, describes how much the Infiniti M has copied the BMW 5 Series stylistically.

I was in a parking lot this morning and saw a spanking new Lexus IS. From the rear, I thought it was a new Bangle 3 Series. Tail lights looked pretty similar.

I must admit, though, as a total external package, I do prefer the IS to the 3 Series. The Lexus is a stunning car. The best looking Lexus I have ever seen.
    From what I have read, the X3 handles much better than the X5.
    Having driven an X5, it wouldn't take much!

The X5 3.0 is a foot longer and almost 1000 lbs. heavier than the X3. All that weight is the perfect recipe for ruined handling.