Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Luxury Lounge

Comments

• sysweisyswei Posts: 1,804
    My friend's dad has a S600 in Beijing

$300-400k over there?
  • louisweilouiswei Posts: 3,717
    RMB 2.215M = USD 284K.

Well, in that kind of place, unnecessary attention often is not good, especially from the wrong people...
    Well, in that kind of place, unnecessary attention often is not good, especially from the wrong people...

Whether criminals or corrupt public officials!
    You got them both...

;)
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    At 40K large heck yeah I expect it to be a lot nicer than the $32K G35 and TL or any other cars in the $30K range.

An RDX with tech package starts at $37K. At that price I expect it to be a heck of a lot nice inside than a Mazda CX-7, but it isn't. Its the same with all Acuras. The MDX can approach $50K, and yet its barely any better inside than a Hyundai Veracruz, and its a good bet that the Genesis will have a nicer interior than the RL.

Putting all other things aside, the mark of a truly great interior is one that makes it seem like the car should or could cost more than it does. Examples of this are the Maserati GT and QP, Mercedes CL, Audi TT, and the Infiniti EX.
    actually have seen this on S-Classes and 7-Series

I saw an "M745i" once. Pretty amusing considering an "M7" has never existed. At least if they put Alpina badges on it, they might fool somebody.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Posts: 1,594
    I have to disagree there. The G35 in black\aluminum trim is a bit dark for me, but the car in brown\tan with the optional wood trim looks very nice. I think both versions are far better than the TL. The TL is a brain-dead mish-mash of shapes and trims, shiny metal strips here, faux-wood or faux-carbon fibre there, cheesy buttons, cheesy lighting, and without the NAV system, the upper part of the dash looks absolutely horrific.

In my opinion, with the redesign of the CTS, the TL has the worst interior in the entry-lux class, save perhaps the Lincoln MKZ and Saab 9-3. Even the ancient Volvo S60 looks better on the inside, at least it has some restraint. The TL just screams FLASH! and ZAZZ! at you, there's nothing remotely luxurious about it.

The TL to me is like a fake Rolex, with a cheesy gold finish with lots of nickel underneath to get it to look shiny. There's no "there" there, its all flash and no substance. The best cars in the entry-lux class, the 3 series and the A5, are the opposite.

I totally agree with your assessment of Acura interiors and Infiniti G interiors compared to that of the TL.

I've owned (TL) and own them both and trust me, the TL interior is cheesy more cheaply crafted and invariably develops squeaks and rattles. Just holding your arm against the inner door panel creates an indentation that will persist, and the leather seats show wear prematurely. The TL front passenger seat feels like your sitting on a commode with its non-existent support. Acura TL's ergonomics including the Nav., are very good, however. The new G35's interior is far superior in terms of comfort, feeling of solidity and materials, but in fairness, it is a newer generation car.

Louis' preference of the TL interiors shows the subjective nature of the argument but he is entitled to his opinion.
  • esfesf Posts: 1,020
    Thank you. :D

'06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet • '04 Lexus RX330
  • Regarding interior quality... my 2003 530SP looks as good today as the day I bought it in Jan '03. I'm a big guy, so I do clean and treat the leather (Zymol) on a regular basis to help the sport seats wear better. Not a creak or rattle to be heard and it has been just a fabulously well-built car that does it all for me.

I defintely can say I got what I paid for :D
    for IS250 and IS350:

link title
    The recent introduction of the new 1-series Coupe and Cabrio and the reveal of the segment starting X6 ‘Sport Activity Vehicle’ is just the tip of the iceberg in terms of new models for BMW. As outlined in its official future strategy document released in late September, BMW is targeting vehicle sales of 1.8 million units by 2012 and to do so it’s planning a host of new model launches over the coming years.

According to a report by AutoZeitung, BMW will launch 12 new models between now and 2011 starting with a new entry level minicar. The new model will be a small three-door four seater with FWD and measure just 3.8m in length. It will feature the full gamut of BMW EfficientDynamics technology including brake energy recovery and engine stop-start features. Powertrains will include both petrol and diesel motors as well as a hybrid option and possibly a plug-in hybrid model with a range of 100km. Launch date for the car is 2011.

In 2010 production of the new Mini Colorado SUV should start at a factory in Leipzig. Engines will include both petrol and diesel units with power ranging from 120 to 175hp.

Next year will see sales of the 1-series Cabrio start as well as the arrival of the next-generation 7-series. The new saloon will feature for the first time options for AWD, pneumatic air suspension and a hybrid model.

The next-generation 5-series won’t arrive until 2010 but a concept version of the car will be displayed at the Frankfurt Motor Show in 2009. Power levels will range from 170hp to 480hp. The new M5 is rumored to feature a new twin-turbo V10 with output close to 600hp.

2010 will also see the launch of the new CS-inspired flagship four-door coupe. There will only be two engine options available, a 420hp V8 and a 507hp V10 as shared with the current M5 and M6. This same year, BMW will also introduce a new X1 crossover designed to rival the upcoming Audi Q3 and VW Tiguan soft-roaders. BMW will follow this with the next-generation X3, which is set to grow in size over the current model and will be manufactured in America.

The final addition will be the production version of the Progressive Activity Sedan (PAS). BMW’s original plan was to develop a luxury minivan similar to the Mercedes R-class but product planners disbanded the idea and have instead decided to build a crossover based on the 5-series platform. It will feature coupe styling, an AWD configuration and be in showrooms by 2009.

link title
    An important bloc of import-brand automakers is telling Congress that the companies can accept a fuel economy standard of 35 mpg.
    But the automakers continue to ask for more time to meet the higher standard than congressional Democratic leaders envision. The group includes Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Hyundai and 10 other import-brand automakers.

source Automotive News
  • circlewcirclew Posts: 8,382
    It's not clear what time frame the import automakers have proposed. Toyota recently came under fire for aligning itself with GM, Ford and Chrysler in opposition to the new CAFE standards. It appears the automaker has reversed its position, leaving the Detroit Three to stand alone.

GM has said the new rules will put some of its rear-wheel-drive performance projects on hold.

The White House and Detroit Three recently backed a proposed compromise that would call for a 32 mpg average fuel economy for light trucks and 35 mpg for car by 2022.

Source: Left-Lane News
    If I ever see that M325Ci again, I'll hand this to the driver...

Wow, sounds like quite a bit of Audi-ization going on there. I was waiting for them to swallow their pride and introduce an AWD 7 Series.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

'06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet • '04 Lexus RX330
    LOL!

'06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet • '04 Lexus RX330
    If at refresh time, Infiniti gives the G gloss wood and full leather treatment as in the EX, it could move up to class leader.

Oh, it takes a lot more than glossy wood trim to make your car a class-leader... just ask BMW.

But I think the G's interior is more distinctive with the matte wood. Otherwise, it would be too similar to some last-generation Audi interior design.

'06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet • '04 Lexus RX330
    But I think the G's interior is more distinctive with the matte wood. Otherwise, it would be too similar to some last-generation Audi interior design.

Its a subjective thing. Personally I generally prefer gloss to matte. The matte in the CLS, if its still offered, is nice, but thats a much higher quality finish than what the G and M have.
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    LG, I remember coming close to buying a Portfolio when I got the Vanden Plas. The deal on the VDP was too good to pass on, but I do recall the Portfolio's wonderfull wood which was a more natural finish than the beautiful gloss that's in the regular XJ.

For me, I like both finishes on the wood... It depends more upon it's application and other interactive interior elements than just the finish on the wood itself.

TagMan
    Mahindra will start selling 5 models in the U.S. by 2009. Another change to the import landscape. The Scorpian SUV from Mahindra might make its way here slightly ahead of the rest... and BTW, it's supposed to be a hybrid!

Upcoming Chinese and Indian cars will have to be priced very cheap to get any attention, IMO.

TagMan
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    A reporter seeks to talk with an African-American woman who owns and loves a 2007 or 2008 Mercedes-Benz. ...

Talk about demographically specific! Yowsa! :surprise:
    Talk about demographically specific!

Common, everyday occurrence in the advertising business... the need for a specific "actor" (whether real-life individual, or trained) according to gender, race, age, and type of appearance for a specific commercial is just business as usual.

TagMan
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,285
    Yeah, I often wonder about the people who are listed with the various agencies who are called when the request is for a "grossly overweight 45+ YO woman with an overbite."

These sorts of casting calls must go out, because people meeting the description (or an equally unattractive one) show up regularly on television & in movies.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Just to be clear - these kinds of requests are made to Edmunds PR office and are passed on to the membership in the way the reporter wants them to be.

I too thought it was a strange request. :sick:
    Mahindra will start selling 5 models in the U.S. by 2009. Another change to the import landscape. The Scorpian SUV from Mahindra might make its way here slightly ahead of the rest... and BTW, it's supposed to be a hybrid!

I can't wait to see how these Indian and Chinese cars do in the NHTSA and especially the IIHS tests, which are much closer to EuroNCAP tough than the government tests. It's been too long since we've had some 1 and 2-star cars in this country.
  • atlas7atlas7 Posts: 126
    Anyone got Oprah's phone # :)
  • kgarykgary Posts: 180
    Anyone got Oprah's phone #

555-cash ;)
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    Please see my possible 550i purchase. Thanks!

It's post 12191 in the BMW 5 Series Sedans board.
    From C&D's first drive of the new A4:

"Following the 3.2 to market—and not by much, we think—is the best of the A4’s available diesel engines, which happens to be the same one that will make its U.S. debut in 2008 in the Q7 luxo-ute: the 3.0-liter six-cylinder, which generates 240 horsepower and a kickin’ 369 lb-ft of torque between 1500 and 3000 rpm. In the A4, it will come mated only to Quattro all-wheel drive and, at first, a six-speed manual transmission. And just because you’re an enthusiast, don’t ignore this engine option; in addition to the fuel economy benefits expected of a diesel, this is a particularly compelling choice not only on account of its 6.1-second 0-to-62-mph sprint (0.1 sec faster than the 265hp 3.2FSI V6), but for its smooth turbocharged midrange shove. On Sardinia’s winding two-laners, which reminded us more than a little of southern California’s gloriously banked asphalt strips, we just left the car in third with rarely any need to shift. Trust us: the diesel is fun."
    "Trust us: the diesel is fun."

Great words! I like the sound of them!

TagMan