Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Vibe Electrical/Lighting Issues

Comments

• sooner6sooner6 Member Posts: 1
    I am having exactly the same problem as Luzer. 3 burnouts in about 10-12 months after the originals lasting over 4 years. Anyone else having this problem? Any solution? If they burned out every week, OK, but these last 3-4 months. Not tied to moisture (I think) as it is over 90 degrees and dry and burning out just like it did in the Fall. I had half my lights burn out on my A/C cluster of dials about 18 months ago. Had my power door locks stop working briefly in Dec but they cured themselves in a few weeks. Otherwise, the car has been great.

I also used the Sylvanias. Are they just cheap or is it something else? I don't trust Mr. Goodwrench to do anything but run up a bill.

Thanks
  • bagginz420bagginz420 Member Posts: 1
    Okay here it goes. Just recently the instrument panel on my 2003 Pontiac Vibe has gone completely dead. The indicator needles and back lighting for my odometer, gas meter, and tachometer are not functioning what so ever. First thing I thought....fuse, I checked those and everything checked out. So know I'm led to believe it's a problem with the computer or wiring, which I'm completely clueless about. My warranty is far up and I'm completely sure this is going to be an issue that will cost me $400 and up to fix. If any of you have had the same issue, I would love to know what I'm getting myself into so the dickheads at GM don't try to give me the run around. Also another problem that may be related, or separate is that both of my dim lights have gone out at the same time shortly after the instrument panel issue began. All the other lights including my bright head lights work except for the dim. I got pulled over yesterday and a cop made me take a field sobriety test which left me feeling really pissed off and taken advantage of. I don't think it would be a problem with the bulbs going out, I don't think they would go out at exactly the same time if it where a problem with that. So again another electrical issue. Could it be a fuse? or do you think it would be tied in with the problem I'm having with the instrument panel. I'd appreciate any help or comments even if you are not experiencing the same issue.
  • shejudgeshejudge Member Posts: 3
    Problem with 04 Vibe electronics not shutting down when the ignition does.
    Console is the main problem. At times it works fine and then it will refuse to shut off. Now the key ignition warning also stays on when the
    key is out. This key thing started after the car window was repaired and the door holder was broken in that process. We have pulled the fuse so these two don't drain the battery! Wondering WHAT is causing this and the simplest way beside the fuse pulling to solve this one?
  • tfassetttfassett Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever get it fixed? If so, what was the issue? I am asking because this just happened to me today. Thanks.
  • carguy999carguy999 Member Posts: 9
    Sorry to hear about your accident. There are many computers on modern cars, so whether or not the computer problem could have been caused by the accident depends on which computer was involved. I do know, however, that it was correct for the front airbags not to deploy when your car hit the deer. In fact, manufacturers specifically require non-deployment in a deer hit when they test airbag systems provided by suppliers. Hitting a deer does not cause a large enough deceleration to require the protection of the bags.
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    Luzer: if you are still around, I think you and I own the exact same car. I have a blown out fog lamp (passenger side) which I refuse to replace because my wife has trashed this car; a new fog light won't help it look any better. I also broke off one of the snaps on my cabin air filter housing. I was the one who originally posted using stock furnace filters and continue to do so. I will also do so with my new '09 vibe as well. As far as the '03 goes, I also have the annoying clicking from the recirculation system. Did you ever find out what the solution was? That I would like to get fixed. Thanks in advance.
  • tdavis44tdavis44 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem on my 2004 Vibe and was wonderig what you found.
  • kjtkjt Member Posts: 8
    Luv my 09 Vibe except for this one perk. You have no control over your headlights with the ignition turned on at night, the headlights will not turn off, not even to the park lights. I've tried another Pontiac forum site with out much luck and the local dealer told me that it's built into the computer that way and you can't do anything about it. Quote from the local service manager at the dealership in North Platte, NE.(The vibe is Pontiacs low end vehicle, what did you expect to get.) Well, I didn't think it was that much to ask to have a little control over your headlights. Ever go out on a cold night and warm the car up, go anywhere where it was just plain courteous to dim your lights to park while waiting in line, etc, etc and the only way you can do it is to turn off the car. GM's customer service was no help whatsoever. Any ideas?
    After much time and research I finally found a way to eliminate the DRL on my 2009 Vibe and have total control over my headlights with the ignition on at night. Thanks to 2 great service techs at my local Toyota dealership and help from several on related websites. The DRL on the 09 is located behind the glove box. Remove the glove box completely to make it easy to locate the DRL. There are 3 white plug ins that you will see, the biggest of the 3 and to the right is the DRL. Unplugging the DRL won't solve the problem, it only makes it so you have no headlights at all. On the 3rd plugin is a blue wire located directly below a larger brown and also a larger white wire, that is the #12 plugin and the blue wire is the one that controls power to the DRL. I had the service techs simply unplug that 1 wire from the white plugin assembly rather than cut it, just in case I wanted to plug it back in when I sell the vehicle, or in case Pontiac had any questions as to why it was unhooked (still under warranty). You can cut the wire of course, just remember to leave enough so you can crimp them back together again should you need too. Be sure to tape up the wire which ever way you do it. Toyota Matrix and the Toyota Corolla are exactly the same. When I finally found out what I was looking for and showed the tech with his help, it only took him about 10 minutes to pop that blue wire out and have everything back together and on the road. You will not have day time running lights, but I always used my headlights anyway and now I can turn then on and off however I like too. If you really want the daytime running lights you can always cut the blue wire, wire that into a switch on the dash and just turn off that switch at night so you have control over your automatic headlights. Either way works, just depends on what you want
    On my 2004 when I turn my car on at night WITH THE EMERGENCY BREAK ON
    the lights do NOT come on until the break is completely released! Try parking with the break on and turn car off and then back on. NO lights on mine when I do this!
    Different years may vary but give it a try!
    Tried everything with no luck, the 09's are different. Thanks anyway for the reply though. It should be that easy, shouldn't it.
  • pontiac2pontiac2 Member Posts: 2
    I have had the same problem with my '04 Vibe. Engine starts, idles and revs fine, but electronics do not function. No back lights, fan, instrument cluster and unable to put into drive. However, the cigar lighter does work (even though I don't smoke). Now to put into perspective, I bought the car in October of '03 and as soon as it turned -20C and colder, this condition began and was intermittent. The garage couldn't find the problem. This went on through '04 and '05 winters. (Note - this only happens in extreme cold weather of -20C or colder) The dealership replaced the ignition switch in March of '06, which helped until yesterday. Now it is doing the same thing. After the car warms up a few minutes, the electronics will switch on and I can then drive the car. Guess I will do some more research on this subject unless someone else can give me some insight.
  • ToobleuToobleu Member Posts: 1
    Sounds like a blend door motor problem. I have that problem with my 2003 Vibe, and others have had the problem as well. Here is a link to one potential solution: http://www.fixya.com/cars/t1008759-air_recirculation_door
    Hope it works for you.

If you don't care about the recirculate feature, you can also just unplug the motor at the blend door, located behind the glove box.
  • ckleincklein Member Posts: 4
    My daughters 2003 vibe blue lighter fuse and she cant play radio or use outlet. She can't locate fuse panel which is supposed to be reachable under driver side instrument panel. I can't find the panel on my 2004 vibe either. It should be within owner reach however I CANT FIND IT!!! HELP!!
    the main fuse box is the black box on the driver's side (INSIDE THE ENGINE) between the battery and the top of the strut assembly.
  • ckleincklein Member Posts: 4
    I know that, but the manual says there is a second fuse block inside the car under the instrument panel on the drivers side; however they provide no diagram showing where the inside fuse block is. The fuse for the radio and the cigarette lighter is in that one, according to the manual,. It may as well be in Japanese!

Carl.
    I just found it for you Carl. Open up your driver's door. As best as you can contort your body, lay on your back with your head resting on your floor mat. Look up at the opening underneath (between the steering column and brake pedal). The fuse box is the first thing you will see closest to the door. It is an elongated black thin box with the same writing you see in your owner's manual (page 6-72). Simply push on the side of the elongated cover/box to release the cover with the writing on it. Mine came off with very gentle pressure. I hope you find the fuse you need to replace. I replaced my wife's radio with one from a seller on e-bay. The radio works great except the diodes illuminating the radio station and information window do not work and are still dark. Could that be a fuse issue too?
  • laurie225laurie225 Member Posts: 1
    You are a GENIUS! I was driving myself crazy looking for this elusive fuse box "under the instrument panel" thank you very much!!!
  • case2case2 Member Posts: 1
    Once you manage to remove the cover of the fuse box, use it to locate the correct fuse. I had to use needle nose pliers to remove the defective fuse and had to make a special tool to put a new fuse in place.
    There is so much room under the dash but they had to put that box in the most awkward place.When working under a dash it helps to use a mirror and flashlight.
    Those mini fuses are rather expensive.
    My 2 cents

Case 2
  • makinhaymakinhay Member Posts: 1
    I've had the same problem with my '04 Vibe. The blower has been stopping unexpectedly for about a year or so. After awhile, sometimes a few hours or a few days, it would begin to work normally again. It went out about a week ago and hasn't resumed working since. On one occasion, I slammed the glove box shut and it started to work. Another time I smacked the panel on the dash console and it started to blow. I've tried various banging and slamming again but to no avail.
  • zengurl72zengurl72 Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2010
    Hello!
    I've never posted to a forum before so hope I use proper etiquette LOL

I own a 2003 vibe that i have had very little trouble with. Yesterday I started my car to go to work and the instrument panel wasn't working. Everything else is functioning properly. I pulled the fuses under the hood and under the steering column but they were all ok. I disconnected the battery and everything started working again. A few hours later i went back out to check it and the panel wasn't working again! Any ideas???
    well, you've done all the right things so far, but how old is your battery?
    Thanks for responding! Its funny you should ask...... My battery is fairly new but I did have it tested today and it checked out fine....... Not sure where to go from here......
    Since no one has responded, Im assuming that this is a unique issue..... So the current update is that I removed the instrument panel cover and checked all connections. Also disconnected the main plug and reconnected it. This seemed to reset it and started working. Shortly after it wasn't working again! Thinking I may have to find a mechanic for help cuz I'm out of ideas.......??? Anyone else have suggestions....???
  • gedmondsgedmonds Member Posts: 1
    I've got a 2007 Pontiac Vibe with brake lights that won't work. I've checked the fuse, the bulbs and the brake pedal switch... all are fine. Any suggestions on what the problem might be?
  • domc56domc56 Member Posts: 1
    Hi I have a 2005 Pontiac Vibe, I just noticed my tail lights and front running
    lights are not working. I changed the rear tail light bulbs, and I replaced the
    fuse even though it looked fine. I also checked and I have no power at the fuse. Is their another fuse or a circuit breaker that I'm not seeing? Is my next test going to be the switch? And if it is do I have to take the steering wheel apart to test it?

dom...
    My Vibe insists the emergency break is COMPLETELY OFF for these lights to work.
    yes, what Grandma is saying is for you to pull up on your emergency brake so it is tight. Then release it all the way down. See if that affects your lighting situation
  • bertapearlbertapearl Member Posts: 1
    I have had intermittent lighting disruptions since I bought this car. One time the headlisghts/dash light went out while I wqas going down the freeway at night!!!
    Most of the time its just the dash light or the tuner display won't work. I think I have found the problem--there seems to be a short in the front overhead light. Of course thisis one ofthose intermittent problems,so it will never do when I'm in the shop. Help! :cry:
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello Bertapearl,
    How many times have you been to the dealership for the same concern? Has anything come up on the DIC when this occurs? How often does the concern happen? Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • oriomanorioman Member Posts: 1
    I have same problem and couldn't find what causing this.
    I have good fuse, new brake light switch, all good light bulbs.
    I tried emergency parking brake trick too but it's not working.
    could you please tell me what was the problem?
    thanks.
  • ejharaejhara Member Posts: 8
    We have a 2009 Vibe, AWD, sun and sound, etc. It's been a great car for 22000 miles, just as all the buying advice predicted. However, we recently had a big problem with it, and I'm posting some details to provide some advice to other owners.
    My wife (its primary driver) has experienced five incidents of total lock-up/no key turn allowed/no starting/no shifting to neutral for towing onto flatbed, etc. During one of these lock-ups, someone suggested she get out and try to rock the car a bit. She did so, but dented the fender ($700 repair), and she is a smallish woman.
    In all of these incidents, she did eventually start the car. The last one, the most severe, stranded her in a parking lot until the OnStar-supplied tow truck came along. The driver, giving one last try, started the car before towing. At that point, we took it to selling dealer.
    The service manager (and other service managers I called, both Pontiac and Toyota) had never experienced this problem with this car. But, after a lengthy service stay (about a week), and much-appreciated "hand-holding" by GM/OnStar, the technicians took apart the steering column and found a defective part.
    This part, stamped "Toyota," is a cast metal "ignition lock cylinder case" which was "damaged internally." Note that we've babied this Vibe: no rough use, regular maintenance, two adult drivers.
    Again, I'm posting this note so that other Vibe and Matrix owners will have some helpful information when and if they encounter this "lock-up" problem in their cars. This problem is serious enough so that we were at the point of car-shopping for something else!
    The car seems fine after the part replacement. Now, I'm working on getting some kind of relief on the $700 body damage that resulted from its refusal to start.
  • britt10britt10 Member Posts: 1
    mine wont do it either. i actually just bought my 04 vibe yesterday and at the car lot it didn't seem to be a problem but now it wont unlock or lock with the keyless entry. I would like you know what you did with yours!
  • jsm8301jsm8301 Member Posts: 1
    My wife has a 2006 vibe with 96,000 miles. We have never had a single problem until now. The dash went entirely blank except for the battery light. We drove to a goodyear where they tested the battery and said that it had a bad cell and they replaced it. After replacing the battery they tested the alternator and said it was also bad. The next day we had our regular mechanic replace the alternator and do a full tune up on the car since it was getting close to 100,00 miles. After replacing the alternator as we were driving it home the battery light came on again and after returning and have them test the new alternator they determined it to be faulty and replaced it again. After replacing it again the battery light was still on. Both new alternators bench tested fine at 14.5 volts but when placed into the car they were both producing 16.5 volts which was setting off the battery light. He checked all the wiring, cables, and grounds and nothing is proving faulty. He told me to take it to a dealer and there was nothing else he could do. I don't know what is wrong I'm planning on going to the dealer this weekend I'm just curious if anyone else has had a similar problem
  • jpdepuccijpdepucci Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2005 vibe and the both the tail lights and front running lights were not working. (Brake lights work) Took it to a reputable electrical automotive engineer. Turns out that the headlight relay switch located under the steering columng is the culprit. Nobody has the part of course - had to be special ordered - cost 100 bucks - labor 120 to replace it. Good luck.
  • brandcoatsbrandcoats Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2011
    I have had the same issue with my 05 Vibe. The radio and lighter stopped working. I had found the fuse box, but I am so confused as to which fuse is for the radio. Who knows which one it is??
    Hello- There is a fusebox under the hood as you are facing the front to the right. Once you pop the lid off of it, you look underneath the cover and it will say which fuse is which. Additionally there is another fusebox located on the drivers side underneath the steering column under the instrument gauges. You have to like get on your back with a flashlight and basically get the back of your head by your gas pedal to see it. There is a black lid that pops off and again, on the underside it will tell you which fuse is which. Also- if you have a manual- that will tell you as well and is much easier to read. If it is not a fuse I can promise you that your headlight relay switch is bad. You will need an authorized automotive mechanic to fix. Addionally as I mentioned in my previous post- the part is about 100 bucks. Good luck!
  • sweetteachersweetteacher Member Posts: 3
    I was driving along in my '05 Vibe and there was a slight click and the entire dashboard went out. Now, if I turn the key all the way but just before turning the engine over, the dash lights come on, but the headlights don't. Once the engine starts, the dash lights go out and the headlights go on. Certain lights on the dash do work, such as turn signals and the "lights are on" indicator. Don't know if these next two issues are related, but a while back, the left side of the radio illumination went out so it became hard to read the channel and time. And very recently, I have to jiggle the plug in for my GPS in the cigarette lighter so that the charger will work. Suggestions ??
    Your most likely issue is your headlight relay switch which is located in your steering column. Only do it yourself suggestion is to check the fuse box under the drivers side instrument panel. The bottom of the fuse box indicates which fuses go to what electrical components. For good measure there is also one under the hood on the drivers side. May want to check all fuses first.

Sounds more like the headlight relay switch or a short moreso than a fuse. All of the wiring to your instrument panel goes through that headlight relay switch. So that may be your problem area.

Good luck
    sweetteacher,

Were you planning on having the vehicle diagnosed? Please keep me posted on any information.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
    I thought that the problem of no dash backlighting had gone away on its own, but now they work perfectly fine during the day and not at night !! Weird. Interestingly, if the key is turned so that the dash lighting goes on (without starting the engine) and I then turn the headlights on manually on the turn signal arm, the dash lights will go off.

Diagnosis is scheduled for Monday.
    Turns out that in cleaning the car, the dash light dimmer dial was inadvertantly moved. In resetting the dial to its proper position, the dash lights now work normally and in fact, the previously darkened left side of the radio is now normal. While this still doesn't explain why the lights shut off suddenly a few days ago, and doesn't explain why the lights weren't going on at all at night but were fine in the daytime, with the dash lights now working, I am not going to spend money at the dealership. At least until the problem recurs.
  • kenblankenshipkenblankenship Member Posts: 2
    in My 05 Vibe i hear a click in the dash and the lights go out & my Radio is just the same. Has it happened to you again since?
    kenblankenship,

Were you planning on having the vehicle diagnosed by a GM dealership? Please keep me posted when the issue has been taken care of.

Thank you,
  • kenblankenshipkenblankenship Member Posts: 2
    Hi Caron,

Going to have the ECM recall done next week. I bought my car from a Toyota dealership and it has a 60 warranty so i will have them diagnose the issue for me. I will let you know what happens

Ken
    Ken,

I understand. I look forward to hearing from you when the dealership has diagnosed the vehicle.

Thank you and have a great weekend!
  • fishguy59fishguy59 Member Posts: 2
    I have an 06 Vibe and have experienced the buzzing fan noise unless I have both the fan and the internal circulation buttons engaged. I also now have no low beams or daytime running lights. I changed the fuse on this to no avail. Any other suggestions to look toward resolving either of these issues?
    fishguy59,

Were you planning on having the vehicle diagnosed by a GM dealership? Please keep me posted.

Thank you,
  • fishguy59fishguy59 Member Posts: 2
    Caron,

Went to the dealer, they seem to know all about this issues. As the GM rep, why is this not a warranty issues since it seems to be recurring in the Vibe?
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    fishguy59,
    The 2006 Vibe had a 3 year/36,000 mile Bumper to Bumper warranty against manufacturing or material defects as a new vehicle; however, as you know this warranty will have already expired due to time.

If we can look into this further with you, please contact us via email (include your name/Edmunds username, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealership).
    Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service