Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata Shaking Problems

eyedea40eyedea40 Member Posts: 1
edited August 2014 in Hyundai
My 99 Hyundai sonata shakes when I reach speeds of 65 mph at about 70 it stops does any one know what could be causing this ? There is no hesitation in the engine it feels smooth when a press on the accelerator could this issue be tire related I have had the car for 3 yeas and have never balanced or rotated my tires.

Comments

• ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    I think I would start with balancing and rotating the tires before looking into anything else. Also, ask the tech to manually rotate the wheels while they're on the balancing machine to look for "wiggly" tread in motion. If present, that would indicate the tread belts have shifted internally from the carcass - If present, probably damage from underinflation/overheating and definitely time for replacement(s).
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Also, uneven tire wear over many miles of improper inflation or balance could mean the tires should be replaced. (high & low spots in the tread)
  • rivergirl5rivergirl5 Member Posts: 3
    I have the same problem with my 99 sonata...but its when I go 50 and when I go down hill it does not do it???? but I do need new tires...I had a complete tuneup so there was no problem there/??
    HELP
  • cableguy06cableguy06 Member Posts: 299
    As was presented earlier, take your car to a tire shop and have them look at the tires carefully for any belt slippage or uneven wear. Typically this is a tire issue and has absolutely nothing to do with a tune up. If the tires look ok and the shop does not feel they need replacement, then have them high speed balanced.

In addition, do you have steel wheels or alloys? Did you or someone hit a curb that may have thrown your rim out of round/balance?

This shouldn't be to difficult to figure out ;)
  • rivergirl5rivergirl5 Member Posts: 3
    Ok thanks cableguy...will take it in tomorrow to check the tires.. :)
  • cableguy06cableguy06 Member Posts: 299
    rivergirl5 - let us know the outcome of what you find.

Best of luck and have a great week!
  • doohickiedoohickie Member Posts: 949
    It probably is just a balance issue that can be solved with a simple wheel balance. If not, it could be a bad tire or bent rim as was stated earlier. Tires need to be rotated regularly (about every 6000 miles) to get even wear. My wife had a set of tires once that she never bothered to rotate and they were shot after 25,000 miles. She rotates religiously now, and got 70,000 miles on her last set of tires.

If it isn't any of that "normal" stuff, it could be that you need to get your tires balanced by a machine that takes into acount Radial Force Variation (or Road Force Variation). The Hunter company makes these machines (the GSP9700 balancer) and you can find which shops have the Road Force balancing machines by clicking here, then clicking on "Locate a GSP9700".

Another thing that can cause wheel vibration is an out-of-balance disc brake rotor. This can be fixed by putting on new rotors or possibly by balancing the existing rotor.
  • prosource1prosource1 Member Posts: 234
    Previous Hyundai's had suspension and especially bad tie rod and bushing issues. We had those but new ones, acccording to our neighbor who has had a 2003 and a new 2006, have been good
  • kimmieg79kimmieg79 Member Posts: 2
    Hello!

i have the same problem with my 1999 ELantra. i got new tires and had tehm roated and balanced and it shakes when i hit 55 miles. and when i break. the rims arent bent either. im not sure what to do. i really dont know anything about cars and i dont want to bring it into the mechanic and get screwed without even knowing what im looking for. any advice would be appreciated :)
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Shaking at 55 could be due to improperly balanced tires. Not all balance machines are created equal, and balance jobs aren't always done right. When I got new tires on a '01 Elantra awhile back, there was a slight shimmy at about 65 mph. I took the car right back to the tire shop and told them to re-balance the tires, and that took care of the shimmy. But the shaking when braking sounds like something else--a warped rotor for example.
  • pekelopdpekelopd Member Posts: 139
    As stated, shaking/vibration while in motion tends to be wheel balancing, although it can be more severe such as bad tie rods, ball joints, wheel bearings, just about any front end suspension component, but since you just got new tires and balanced, they them to rebalance, or at least explain your situation and have them recheck the balancing. Shaking upon BRAKING (not breaking) is usually related to the rotors/disc. You may have warped discs or high and low spots on it. Change the front PAIR (always in pairs) and while changing it, change the brake pads too.
  • kimmieg79kimmieg79 Member Posts: 2
    Thankyou for your advice, i appreciate it! and yes, tis Braking , not breaking, sorry
  • pekelopdpekelopd Member Posts: 139
    You're welcome! And there's no need to apologize, I was only teasing. Almost everywhere I read, it's always misspelled as breaking
  • hyundaiprobshyundaiprobs Member Posts: 3
    i have had this car for about three years and havent had one problem with it. recently I have had shaking coming from my front end. I have new tires, got them balanced and had the alignment done, i have changed the cvs joints, ball bearings, ball joints. i jacked the car up and put it on jack stands and took the tires off and it still has the vibration. so it has something to do with the front end but im not sure what else it could be... any suggestions????
This discussion has been closed.