Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Cadillac CTS

Comments

• knotemknotem Member Posts: 62
    GM officially announced that they'll build coupe and wagon:
    "-- Lansing/Grand River: Cadillac CTS, STS and SRX through 2009; Cadillac CTS wagon and CTS coupe in 2009; Two new rear-wheel-drive large cars in 2011."

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D8RUMI3G1.htm
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,700
    Wonder if the CTS wagon replaces the slow-selling SRX?
  • thebugthebug Member Posts: 294
    avatards - I have already included the price of Y40 at $850 and Y41 at $2025 in my total cost. My question is as a package has the price changed? Generally, if grouped in a package the price is a little (in some cases a lot) less. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the two included items in PDR, Y42 and Y44 alone are more than the total of PDR. So it would be my guess (and hope) that the PDW is a little less than it would be as separate options.

thebug...
    Although I don’t agree 100% with all its contents, but it’s the most unbiased review I’ve read so far, for a change, that cover the car from head to toes, and it doesn’t literary repeat what Cadillac was saying about the 08 CTS during the 07 NAIAS.

http://www.epinions.com/content_404023316100
  • carfanatic007carfanatic007 Member Posts: 267
    This car was reviewed by the Washington Post in todays Sunday paper. They loved the car. Had NO bad things to say about it.
  • 14871487 Member Posts: 2,407
    must be the ad dollars at work. Why else would they praise this mediocre car? Oh wait, they probably just want you to buy American.
  • puckspucks Member Posts: 47
    I think quite well, since there's a huge "buy American" group out there.

Huh? Where exactly is this buy american group? China? Certainly not here in the states. If you've been watching GM's (or the big 3 in total)market share drop year after year, how do you come to that conclusion? The only people who but american nowadays are rental car companies. The average consumer buys anything BUT american.
  • bryanbryan Member Posts: 198
    I read that review by Warren Brown. I have a lot of respect for his reviews; he's usually spot on. He does seem to try to find some positive in his vehicle reviews. I purchased my '96 Olds LSS based on his glowing review, and he was exactly right--most enjoyable, trouble free car I had owned until that time. I will definitely consider the new CTS when I start shopping next spring for my next vehicle.

I also thought his article on the next page about Unions was accurate too.
  • ggurr54ggurr54 Member Posts: 30
    orang bodoh ini.
  • vic10vic10 Member Posts: 188
    For those who are currently driving one, how many have struck pavement or curves with the front air-dam/bumper? Ground clearance looked to be very minimum. I'd probably have to back into my driveway....
  • jdavis12jdavis12 Member Posts: 19
    I have come very close to running that front skirt aground but so far, no damage. I did witness my dealer drive another one over a parking turtle, scraping the lower piece - no question you can't pull all the way in a parking space without risk of hitting a curb or parking barrier. An earlier post indicated there may be a problem with car wash wheel rails hitting the bumper.
  • cosmo13cosmo13 Member Posts: 31
    I have had my 2008 CTS since September 12th. Bumped into several high curbs and scratched the gray piece of plastic.
    The dealer told me that I could take some very fine sandpaper and knock the burrs off the edge of the plastic.
    Any other suggestions.
    I plan to have the car hand washed to avoid any brushes, clothes or other devices that might scratch or leave marks on the paint.

I ordered in June and my CTS was the first to be delivered from my dealer on September 12th.
  • socalbmmrsocalbmmr Member Posts: 12
    Uggggh. I was soooo looking forward to this car and with the mostly glowing reviews, it seems the one complaint is the general porkiness of the car. 4100 pounds isn't class competitive, nor are mid 6 second zero to sixty times. I guess I had the fantasy of 335i type performance...

That said, this is one seriously good looking ride. I've only seen a few on the road so far and they are SUPER sharp looking. The interior looks amazing and i can only imagine what they'll do for the CTS-v. Contrast stitching on the dashboard, perhaps?

Big sales this month, too, from what I've read. This car has major hit written all over it.
  • jdavis12jdavis12 Member Posts: 19
    Drive it, you'll buy it. Regardless of weight, it has giddy-up and is a solid, fun ride.
  • golfnut5golfnut5 Member Posts: 202
    I guess if there is six to eight inches of snow on the road you become a snow plow. I can visualize some hard snow and ice doing damage to the low front end. Only problem in the summer would be road kill in the center of your driving lane. :P
  • hwiseleyhwiseley Member Posts: 2
    I have made special precautions as to not park too close to curbs since it is so low, however, as far as the carwash, after posting the original message about the clearance in the no touch carwash, I have since went into a couple touch carwashes and had not had any clearance issues with the air dam. Things seem to be going much better with me and the carwash lately! :)
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    GM wants people to use OnStar for handsfree calling instead of bluetooth.
    There is no benefit to GM in allowing you to use bluetooth when they offer Verizon with America's Choice Plan which is a revenue stream to The Company.
    If you want a new CTS, you have to do what GM wants you to do.
    jaxis1 - I read through the threads and a few people are so disappointed by not having Bluetooth in the new CTS. This is my situation. I have a Bluetooth earpeice, and I use two cell phones because of the number of daily calls (70-100/day). The problem is, that only one phone can be on at a time, because both phones will try to connect to the device at the same time resulting in neither connecting to the device.

If I had a Bluetooth device in the car, (in addition to the earpeice) I would have to change between the two devices every time I got in and out of the car. I'm in and out of the car up to fifteen times a day (I do emergency house calls) on a twenty hour shift, and sometimes more. During high call volume, it would truly be difficult to switch between devices, and not miss calls.

I'm actually glad that it doesn't have Bluetooth. The earpeice that I use is more than adequate (and preferred). Now, I don't know about the situation of others, but one device that can be taken with you is better in my view. It is truly essential that my hands are free to work while using the phone. The one I use has serious noise reduction, and is so lightweight and comfortable, that I have actually gone to bed still wearing it without realizing on a number of occasions.

In my case, I need a reliable device. Many of those installed by whoever don't seem to work properly anyway. Those that I know with BMW, Cadillac, and MB. I hear their complaints all the time, from dropped calls to lost or poor signals all day long. That would drive nuts. That being said, as always, each to his own.

thebug...
    I finally got the order printout. The order was done on 9/26/07. Not sure when it will arrive. Went without the sunroof (I don't do sunroofs). Couldn't get the nav system (no love loss there), because I went with the PDW package. So I have PDR and PDW both with all the said trimmings. The one available wood package B19, and upgraded to U2S and the highly polished 18" wheels as allowed, and of course black on black with the 304HP DI V6 and auto tranny.

Don't have a price for the PDW yet though. I going to guess at a total of $47,529 OTD. It is amazing how the dealer or no one else for that matter knows the price of the PDW package. My thoughts are because of the mystery in it all, it's only a package for selection/ordering purposes, (and to get around the computer ordering glitch) and will be itemized out as individual items and priced as such. Anyway, it's all good.

thebug...
  • beerme1beerme1 Member Posts: 67
    "Went without the sunroof (I don't do sunroofs). Couldn't get the nav system (no love loss there), because I went with the PDW package.

Don't have a price for the PDW yet though. I going to guess at a total of $47,529 OTD"

thebug

I can't see how this car would be that expensive without a sunroof, NAV and AWD. How is that possible?
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    I just wanted to add my 2 cents that I think this is a very nice looking car. One of the finest looking cars on the road these days, inside and out, imho.

Looking forward to reading how people like them in daily use.

Best,
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    beerme1 - That's the total for everything;

$34,545 MSRP
    $ 3,300 PDR
    $ 2,875 PDW
    $ 1,000 U2S
    $ 750 18" Wheels/High Polish
    $ 495 B19
    $ 745 Destination Charge
    $ 399 Dealer Doc Fee
    $ 10 Out of state drive away sticker
    Above total @ 7.5% =
    $ 3,309 TTL =

Still not sure about the price of the PDW, so I used the individual prices of each, (Y40 & Y41)

thebug...
  • michael2003michael2003 Member Posts: 144
    What's the 'Above total' about? Is that the equivalent of 'Additional Dealer Markup'? If so, you can get a better deal. Heck, you should be able to do better than MSRP. Even Fitzgeralds Auto Malls gives 1500-2000 off sticker.
    It's state sales tax. TTL = tax, title, license or something like that. The main one being the sales tax - no way out of that one. Unless you live in a few lucky states.
  • beerme1beerme1 Member Posts: 67
    Thanks bug.

I am looking at an awd with a roof, crystal red, lux level 1 pkg, and the seating pkg. I was quoted 33,130 at one place and 37,024 at another place for the same car but in black!!
    The sticker on the first one is 40,685
    While this car does not have wood trim, fog lights, DI or NAV and at least the FE2 all of which I really want but cant afford anyway, but I don't think I can walk away from this car at that price. Especially when dealer number 2 wants 4 grand more for the same car and that doesn't have the extra almost 1K for the crystal red paint. My number are before tax and this is what they have on the lot.

Willy
  • wacojohnnywacojohnny Member Posts: 8
    has anyone ordered one for the 2008 CTS? any prices,was $450.00 on the 2007! Also does anyone have any info on the current GMAC financing percentages.
    My 2008 CTS pricing:
    CTS V6 DI $34545.
    All wheel 1900.
    PDP Luxury Collection 2600.
    Thunder Gray Paint 995.
    Total Model & Options 40040.
    Destination Charge 745.
    Total 40745.
    Dealer Conveyance Fee 289.
    6% State tax & plates
    michael2003 - I tend to base my auto purchases on the maximum amount(raw numbers) to determine affordability. You are looking at a pre-negotiation price. My thinking is, that if I can afford it at that price, (and I can) I can surely afford it at less. I will actually get it OTD at just above invoice. For me, negotiating is the fun part of car buying (it's a sport), and I generally do quite well. I'll let you know how it turns out.

thebug...
    cosmo - After price negotiations you should be able to liquidate the full amount of the taxes with a 6% state tax. My goal during negotiations is always aimed at reducing the price enough to compensate the cost of taxes. BTW, which state is still at 6%?

thebug...
    beerme1 - I try to order a new car whenever possible because years ago I had a neighbor that worked an assembly line for many years with Chrysler, and he told me that when a special order comes down the line, (and they were aware of it) the guys would put a little more heart into it.

Not that the others are made poorly, but I like the notion that assembly line guys think that way. My 03 CTS was ordered, and it was solid. Not a single problem in the 4+ years that I drove it. Just sold it last night. The 08 should arrive the first week of November, can't wait.

thebug...
    wacojohnny - The dealer told me that a GMAC loan would start around 7.9%, but when you use the payment calculator on the GMAC site it rates everything at 10.4% (what's up with that), and when you complete a pre-approval application it says in the instructions, that finance rates must be negotiated with the dealer.

So I guess somewhere around 7.9%, but as high or low as credit worthiness would dictate. The higher the credit score, the better the rate, I hope. If they hand you a rate that you don't like, send them back to the drawing board, because they need to sell that car more than you need to buy it.

thebug...
    CT is 6%.
    I was able to use a [GM vendor discount] I supply material for GM car divisions]. This was a hot car in short supply. My dealer was selling at list price.The price I listed was before discount. I saved just under $3000 with vendor discount.
    Cosmo13
    6DP69 w isb=$34545 , mx7 trans=$1900, crystal red paint=995, PDQ package=8165, Y42(18" pkg)=1740,perf brakes(j55)=395,spare tire(zaa) 250, p63 alm rims=750 ,destination =745..total=$49485.00....sell price=$46625.00 pretty much every option any opinions appreciated
  • jsmilesrmhsjsmilesrmhs Member Posts: 7
    You need to do some research before you bash a company.
  • bonddogbonddog Member Posts: 6
    From what I have read so far you can not get the AWD option on the 304 HP DI engine. So I'm confused by your order. I do want the AWD since I live in NY and I do want the performance of the DI engine.
  • arby1arby1 Member Posts: 83
    I think that you can get the 304 hp engine and AWD , but not with the sports package.
  • avatardsavatards Member Posts: 2
    Both engines can be ordered with AWD.
  • leo2007leo2007 Member Posts: 3
    I purchased a white diamond CTS from a Pittsburgh, PA-area
    dealer similarly equipped to wacojohnny's crystal red model,
    and paid virtual list price. The car was in stock and had
    everything I wanted on it. The only savings I realized was
    the $500 mfgr-to-dlr marketing promotion. I love the car,
    and have no regrets about the less-than-sweet deal. So I
    would say, wacojohnny, your almost $3000 discount from list
    is indeed a very good deal.

Let me add a few miscellaneous comments in response to other
    negative observations or concerns from other contributors to this forum:

1. SUNROOF. The almost-translucent, gossamer-like lining
    admits just enough filtered sunlight that appeals to my
    taste, obviously granting that individual preferences
    in this regard vary widely. Nor does the workmanship
    on this sun shade strike me as shoddy or of poor quality,
    unbefitting Cadillac.

2. VULNERABILITY OF FRONT AIRDAM. I fully recognize the
    potential problems here, and have made a conscious de-
    decision just to exert more caution in driving and
    parking. Having previously owned a 2001 Lexus GS430 with
    revised steering ratio and lowered suspension, I know
    first-hand about potential damage to a low front airdam!

3. STEERING WHEEL PUSH-BUTTON CONTROLS for audio and cruise
    control. Even though I don't recall reading any comments
    here about the relative ease to inadvertently reset or
    turn off these functions if one's hands are not properly
    placed just so on the wheel, I've experienced this slight
    problem so many times in my almost-1 -month of ownership,
    that I'm embarassed to mention it.

All in all, I would describe the 2008 CTS a Cadillac tour-
    de-force, and am very pleased to be an owner.
    I must tell you that I went through Costco buying program.they give you a dealership to go to and a salesperson to see and a contact #.So I guess there claim of hassel free negotiating works(I was amazed)..I must tell you guys that I also made a special trip to the dealership to inspect the so called unacceptable SUNROOF.I am a very fussy 64 year old and I fail to see anything about it negative.I also checked every part inside and out and GM seems to have made quality a must.I owned three Cadillacs in the 1980,s,then i switched to GMC trucks.this will be my first time back to Cadillac,(Buy American looks to be a good idea again) thanks Cadillac
    Who exactly did I bash? What company?
    Almost fogot to thank leo2007 for the response,wish you all the best! with your new wheels
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    that those of us who endure the possibility of 100 degree days six months or more a year & upwards of 50 days above 110 take shading the inside of the car while it's parked very seriously.

The translucent moon roof cover is a significant minus in the desert. I'd bet it'll be fixed in the next year or so -- we'll see.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    First, I would like to congratulate you on your new wheel, it’s a great car and nobody can say otherwise.
    When you pay top dollar you expect a piece of mind in return. To some the semi-sunshade is ok; to other is a deal breaker. I would accept “The almost-translucent, gossamer-like lining” sunshade on a Chevy Aveo or a Kia Rio, but not on a Cadillac, Mercedes or a BMW. In my opinion, the 08 CTS was 99% perfectly designed with a great taste, internally and externally, but 1% was left out incomplete.

It’s a new toy in town, and everybody loves to have it first, but sooner or later Cadillac has to do something about the sunroof to attract the 20% who expect a complete luxury car with a complete sunroof that covers the sun when it’s not needed, and the other 30% who complain about it and buy it anyway. If Cadillac offers a conventional sunroof as an alternative option, the whole problem would’ve been solved for good.

Just read Yahoo reviews and you’ll have an idea how real people love the car but hate the panoramic semi-sunshade. The complaints are mounting up day by day:

http://autos.yahoo.com/cadillac_cts-reviews_user/
  • soflkurtzsoflkurtz Member Posts: 14
    Am I missing something regarding the sunroof? I agree it's a factory oversight, but even though I live in Florida, I am convinced that with top branded tints such as FormulaONE, HuberOptik, etc. that the sunshade will be a non issue.

I have 90% tint on my current vehicle and even when i leave the slide open, it's not terribly different than with it shut.

I don't think it's make or break, but I'll see in a few months...
    That's the first time that solution has been metioned - sounds like a good one, but you'll shortly be getting the 'I shouldn't have to fix a new car' response...
    Someone said you can't tinit it like your windows. Won't last. Don't know why, but someone who bought an 08 tried to have it tinted and couldn't get the shop to do it.
  • soflkurtzsoflkurtz Member Posts: 14
    I have tinted my last three sunroofs with FormulaONE tint. It works fine. That someone needs to find a better shop.

Also, if it's just "tint", it's worthless. It needs to be a top brand, metallic or ceramic tint, i would do 85 or 90%, not the 30% typical for passenger doors and the 60% for the back and rear window.

The brands i listed above all are quality.
    Yes, really makes a difference on brand - here in Dallas many bad jobs, but a coworker has had no problems over many years with hers.
  • bonddogbonddog Member Posts: 6
    I test drove the 304 HP DI AWD CTS today. It's a nice luxury car with great styling but I was very disappointed by its performance: Acceleration, and steering precision/road feel. Not even close to my BMW 2003 5 series which even has less HP. It's all about where in the RPM power band the max HP & Torque kicks in. I may still buy the car because its styling is more interesting than the BMW. But from a performance perspective it is lacking. The steering is too mushy and vague and the acceleration is boring. I like every thing about the car except its performance. To this day every time I drive my BMW I say to myself WOW what a car, what a pleasure to drive. I didn't get that at all from the CTS.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    The one reason to buy this car is exterior styling. The two reasons to buy this car are, exterior styling and the interior. The three reasons to buy this car are. . .and the sound of the DI engine at full-cry. The four reasons . . . and the smoooth transmission.

And so on. . .

It takes a long time to get to the point where the reasons include the actual performance not just the sounds (and some sensations) of performance. The FE2 suspension is NOT bad, but there is still vestigial float that simply doesn't "grace" the cars in the price class or wheelbase class.

My dealer sells Infiniti's too. Drive a $48K AWD CTS back to back with an '07 all equipped ($40K) G35X (the '08's will offer a sport package not offered in '07). The CTS IS wider -- and that is a plus. But, overall, the G35X is an entry level performance luxury car -- the CTS seems "almost" such a car, somewhat easy to further downgrade due to its $8,000 disadvantage.

The comparisons to the BMW's -- well, they are a stretch, at least if the CTS is FE2 + AWD + DI equipped. Perhaps a full out FE3, stick shift equipped CTS looks good compared with the 335i 4 door sedan -- but it is hard to justify the premium price when there are some really competent performing vehicles offered for $8K less (and with higher content, to boot.)

The CTS is a winner, however. Why?

Because you WILL look better (coming and going) in the '08 CTS than in the BMW 3 or the Infiniti G. The soon to be here Audi A4 (with the new longer wheelbase, etc etc etc) will (probably) change the argument again; but, at the moment, the CTS's most compelling attribute is its looks.

:shades:

More's the pity.

Here's my prediction: Cadillac is reading all this stuff we write and they will address the bluetooth, sunroof and less than Teutonic "sport" suspension issues, in [very] short order.

This means the discounts on this car will be SUBSTANTIAL in the upcoming months.

For $40K (or thereabouts), I'd get one in a heartbeat, even up against the G35X -- the CTS is just so drop dead gorgeous, it kinda makes me "blinded by the light." (Manfred Mann.)

For the time being, tho, drive the G35X and be amazed at the performance shortfalls it highlights in the CTS.

:(