Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Cadillac CTS

Comments

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499
    ". . .pining for the wood steering wheel and shifter. . ."

Now that's pretty good, whether it was planned or not.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    I can appreciate the sentiment of your post.

I also disagree with it, but without "malice."

BT is NOT about being plugged in. . .all the time. Well, at least it is not for the folks I know who use it.

BT is (in alphabetical order) a convenience, cost containment and safety feature. It should be made illegal to offer a car without it (don't get me started on why it will soon be if "YOU" (we) don't voluntarily stop using a phone that is NOT hand and eyes free.)

A well equipped CTS is over $40K, often close to $50K -- it is confounding (to say the least) for this car not to have state of the art BT when Chrysler has done it so well, and with voice activation/calling to boot. The Japanese and Germans, too, have it pretty well figured out and even Land Rover, despite what might be their flaws in other areas, have also got the BT thing down pat.

In the scheme of things, for some, the lack of BT will not deter them from acquiring the CTS -- it is sooo purty.

However, that is NOT the point for some (perhaps the rest of us) -- the point is, this seems to be a glaring oversight, a lack of attention to detail that is baffling.

I really like the CTS, don't get me wrong -- and I'll really consider it when it is, inevitably, discounted a minimum of 10% off of the sticker if you can walk and chew gum simultaneously. It is, however, "state of the art, circa 2004." At the discounted prices that are commin', it is a good, almost very good car.

And, that, after all, may be enough.

A 110+" wheelbase A4 3.2 SLine Quattro with all the toys for equal to or less than the price (at MSRP) of a CTS would seem to be a no brainer, tho.

The CTS, on the other hand, will probably be sooooo cheap, it will be hard to resist -- 2004 (or 2003) was a pretty good year for German and Japanese car's features, don't you think?

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"

:surprise:
  • bingomanbingoman Member Posts: 373
    Regarding the wood on the steering wheel and shift knob: I am driving an '03 CTS with wood. Here in Southern California the sun gets pretty hot but the wood has never been a problem. Even if it has been parked in the sun there is enough leather to still be able to handle the wheel as the wood is only on the top quarter of the wheel above the two and ten o'clock hand positions.
  • beerme1beerme1 Member Posts: 67
    Can you tell me if the 2008 Bimmers or [non-permissible content removed] have 2004 technology that when using the factory remote start is smart enough to know if your seats a/c or heat should be turned on and that no matter where you leave your thermostat at the car will decide if front and rear defog needs to be turned on?

No malice here either. Just askin.
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    I beleive the real reason you havent seen GM go BT is due to the ONSTAR program....yes many debates of that one as we.....

I do disagree with your comparison with the Audi A4 3.2 Quattro....having priced both....they come out about the same similiarly equipped......and according to the KBB specs...the wheelbase on the Audi is 105 while the CTs has 113....regardless.....dont think its necessarily a no brainer to go with the Audi.....

the other item I also look at is scheduled maintenance and costs.....most of the European imports have intense maintenance schedules...along the lines of every 15k...and reliability has taken a hit here as well...not to say the GM product doesnt have its faults either....BMW overcomes it with their 4/50 maintenance which essentially gives you free oil changes...all the other services shouldnt be needed in the first 50K...brakes, rotors etc..that the program covers....

10% off MSRP......not too far off now...Im negotiating now for 3-5K off MSRP at the moment before incentives....so its possible now.....just my thoughts...
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    cdn....the "pining" wordsmith was intentional. All I can do is relate my experiences with wood steering wheel/shifter. I'll never get another car that has it, no matter how good it looks, They just aren't very functional.

mark....did a quick GMS look at discounts for the CTS. Loaded up, GMS is running about $6K off MSRP. Add in the inevitable rebates, after the furor dies down...let's say another $3K off towards the end of the model year, you're looking at a $35K purcahse price. But, that's for a GMS deal.

I don't know if that would get me to do a handshake with a Caddy dealer, particularly since my Cadillac experiences have been horrid. But, my Tahoe experience has been great. Everything worked, and worked as expected right out of the box. 17,000 miles and nothing but oil changes.

My fear for the BMW is, if you follow the BMW included maintenance schedule (oil changes at 15,000 miles, or more), something's going to blow up somewhere down the line. Knowing me, I won't have the BMW long enough for that to happen, though. The plan is to keep the BMW until the warranty runs out (sometime in the next two years) and start looking again.

Too far into the future to have any relevance, but I think a retooled Acura TL, another BMW, a G35 will top the list. Pulling up the rear, until I can see what the reports are, will be the CTS. Gotta admit, it is a looker. But, so was my ex-wife. She's gone!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • ctbarker3232ctbarker3232 Member Posts: 15
    Hi,

I met yesterday with a dealer in the DC metro area who had contacted me about my request for quotes on a fully loaded CTS with RWD. I was adamant that I wanted the Wood Steering Wheel and Wood Shift Knob and also the Brushed Aluminum wheels which have been on and off constraint. As some know, Thursday seems to be the ordering day at GM. My dealer said that he had exactly one "slot" available to order the constrained items and was willing use it for the car I wanted.

Their initial quote was reasonable but they wouldn't honor the recent CTS Event $500 incentive that every Cadillac dealer to my knowledge was offering. It took some time but I finally succeeded in getting that discount applied so I shook hands. The car's MSRP was $46,900, Invoice $42,700, price paid $44,053. I may qualify for the $1000 Conquest Incentive but I'm not holding my breath. While not the rock bottom price some can get with GM discounts, I still feel it is reasonable given the newness of the car.

I don't have a build date or delivery time since the car has to be entered into the system but I hope to have it for Christmas?

Thanks everyone for their discussions here as it was invaluable in helping me purchase and negotiate for this car.

-CB
    CB,

was that price before or after TTL?...who did you use....Im talking to three in MD outside of DC...and two dealers in VA.....MD dealers are giving the best deal so far....Im looking at the 3.6 DI, Premium Lux Package PDQ, Performance Package Y42, Chrome Wheels P63 and Paint 89U....MSRP is 46,940 best deal is 43,904 pls tax...sounds pretty much like the same deal....

MD dealers have a lower "processing fee" most only charge $99 where as the VA dealers are going $300 plus......
    Price is before TTL. Yes, sounds like the prices are close. That is good confirmation because I only talked to this dealer about price so I never new exactly what the other dealers would quote me but I had hunches. I was originally going to go in with an offer of 2% over invoice which would have been $43,600 and then haggle back and forth to a stop limit of $44,000 which was going to be my walk away from the table limit. I thought that the $500 incentive would be an easy deduction for the dealer since it is a GM incentive. But, they were obstinate about it. I prevailed in the end.

-CB
  • taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    Looking at some of the photos of the new stearing wheel, it looks like they got rid of the red and blue programable buttons from the last generation.

Anyone know why? It seemed like a cool idea. :confuse:
  • puckspucks Member Posts: 47
    You have to remember the 500 incentive is in effect now but might not be in December. So if that dealer support from GM is gone, the dealer will have to "eat" that 500. Usually the dealer won't agree to that money until the car comes in and the deal is still in effect. My car took 7 weeks and 1 day to come in (NJ) so Christmas will be close, but you should be good.
    The current, A4, has a wheelbase that is 6.6" longer than the one right now for sale in the US. The situation that I am facing is coming off the lease of a 2005 A6 that has all the options offered in that MY.

Prior to that I had a 2003 Audi allroad also fully optioned.

When I equip a CTS with all the options it offers what was apparently sold to anyone who wanted one (from Germany or Japan) in 2004 (the hard drive seems to be the only +.)

The new A4 3.2 will be "close" to the size of both the current A6, the BMW 5 and the CTS. The price of the A4 at MSRP is likely to be "close" to the Cadillac CTS. The BMW 3 series, likewise and the G35 from Infiniti ditto.

The Cadillac is also "close" to the size of the 5 series and the current gen A6 -- and it is less money. But the CTS remains, for the moment, in the ELLPS class not the LPS class.

So, the upcoming (to the US) A4 3.2 SLine Quattro seems to me to be (probably) quite competitive to the CTS.

The lack of BT is a serious oversight for many folks -- but, as I said, the CTS is awfully "purty." Its looks may offset its weaknesses or "oversights."

I am one of the people who MAY fit in the class of "willing to settle." I like the CTS, it is a looker.

On the other hand, after 28 Audis and lots of loyalty creds to fall back on, the CTS requires a serious off MSRP discount or subvented lease -- after all, it reminds me of buying a really great laptop circa January 2005 (but it is late 2007.) A lifetime of chip development has passed it by.

Drive the FE2 equipped CTS, drive it over a specific route, in fact. Then, IMMEDIATELY, drive an A6 3.2 with the STANDARD suspension and 18" wheels over the same route(or you can drive mine, if you are in Cincinnati, in fact, over a route I can show you) and you will wonder why the CTS seems to "float" despite its claim to be the sport suspension.) Moreover, you can marvel at my 2005's technology and wonder why the CTS couldn't at least equal it.

If you care, you can then wander over to the Infiniti dealer and drive a 2008 G35X sport (@ $7,000 less than the CTS) and be blown away.

The upcoming A4 will, apparently, offer so many innovations it will leave the A6 in the dust, and since the CTS is not quite up to the '05 A6's technology content, well, the upcoming A4, seems really to be "the one to beat," with the possible exception of that pesky G35.

With voice activated PHONING with BT, I would probably overlook the CTS's shortcomings, especially with the almost inevitable MSRP discounts that will surely become the norm.
  • thebugthebug Member Posts: 294
    markcincinnati - Personally I think Audi makes nice cars, but after my horrid service experience with VW (and Audi is made by VW) I wouldn't touch an Audi with a ten foot pole.

Don't get me wrong, I loved my VW Passat, it was awesome, but the service was absolutely lousy. Over the six years that I owned the car I never had any problems, but getting routine service was a total nightmare.

Some would say "go to another dealer" and I did. The service was still lousy. I felt trapped not being able to take the car to other service providers because many of them won't touch a VW product due to part issues. Many VW parts (battery included) are only sold by VW.

After the 60K mile service hassle with VW, I traded the car the next day. I think that the Audi service issues would be the same. That being said, I purchased an 03 CTS in the mix of all this and was absolutely pleased with every aspect of car ownership. You see...

Overall, as a rule, good service is the main reason many people stick with a particular brand name. All the other nice to have stuff is at best, secondary. BTW, it would be nice if you could buy one of each, and this way have all the goodies.

thebug...
    ctbarker3232 - My order was placed on 9/26/07, the day before the two day strike. I received a build date of 10/15/07. Received a VIN number and arrival date of 11/7/07 by email today. Requested pick up date of 11/12/07 (birthday). Just have to be nice to yourself once in a while, my golden rule.

Total MSRP $44,110, with the Costco discount and other incentives, it will come in at about $40,035 (before TTL) give or take $200. Looks like it takes about six weeks or so, so you should be okay on your just before Christmas delivery date. Hope your purchase experience goes well.

thebug...
  • dms9dms9 Member Posts: 137
    You are 100% correct. I was all set to buy a beautiful Blue Chip SRX with 20" wheels when I learned it didn't have bluetooth. Not even an option. I drive in DC a lot, where they give out tickets for talking on a cellphone handset (revenue is revenue!). Bluetooth was a necessity. I walked away and bought an Acura MDX. I was annoyed, because I really liked the SRX. I am baffled how Cadillac, who is holds itself out to compete with BMW, M-B, Lexis and etc, doesn't have bluetooth standard on all of it's vehicles. It's not a very difficult thing to include. I don't think Caddy realizes how much of an oversight it really is and how much business that one (lack of a feature) is costing them.
    I am sorry and frustrated "for you" regarding the service experience you had with your VW. Here in our "big town" of Cincinnati, Audi, BMW and Mercedes service is generally "over the top" excellent.

I suspect this has been due to the Japanese lux brand influence -- although I did pick up my first Audi in 1977 and even then the service was, er, "awesome."

On the other hand, projecting the service on one brand due to the experience with antoher "related" brand hasn't always proven to work out.

Using this approach, Cadillac (owned by GM) would be a reject due to the poor Chevy service reputation, etc.

In any case, despite some of MY noise, I do want to "celebrate" the CTS and the reviews where it is said to be the best Cadillac ever.

My personal complaints are, generally (BT being the exception), nits, likely to be addressed in upcoming evolutions of the car.

And, I'd imagine even BT will not deter too many folks -- until the lawmakers and law enforcers start what I am almost certain will be the inevitable crackdown.

BT must be the victim of the On*star relationship. What other explanation could there be?
  • getbizzygetbizzy Member Posts: 11
    Has anyone had any experience either good or bad with the bluetooth option that can be installed by the dealer as a
    separate add on? ....still can't believe its factory installed yet but regardless I need this feature. Wondering if I should go this route or thru Best Buy's Mototola option.
  • getbizzygetbizzy Member Posts: 11
    I'm interested in the 08 CTS All Wheel Drive with Premium Luxury Package.... How much can I expect to pay? One of my relatives can get me the family GM discount as well...

Any ideas out there?
  • redcadladyredcadlady Member Posts: 2
    I'm expecting my dealer to call me this week that my new 2008 cadillac cts is in. I too, decided to treat myself and the red tint coat really caught my eye. I ordered it the end of August but I don't think the factory actually got started on it till the second week in September. My dealer claims they aren't going to turn too many of these loose right away and I'm getting anxious on when mine is going to arrive. I hope it's everything that I've expected it to be!!! :)
  • aalderaalder Member Posts: 5
    I took delivery yesterday and was surprised that it did not have bluetooth. However I have the family plan with Verizon and adding the car is an additional 10 bucks a month. You can forward your cell phone to the car while driving. The OnStar system is far superior (sound) than any bluetooth device in my other vehicles.
  • hildyahildya Member Posts: 8
    So you can forward your existing number??? I was told you could only generate a new number on an existing family plan. That's great...thanks..that's all I needed to know. My car is to be delivered on November 2nd, but I'm out of town and can't pick it up until November 17th! I may have to take a special trip now!
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Could be wrong on this, but I think Verizon generates a different number for your On Star.

I know On Star also tries to get me to buy their minutes, too. That's why I've got a cell phone to begin with. I don't need, nor want, a separate number for my car and my phone.

Bottom line, Verizon wants you to pay $120/year for the privilege of using your phone using the car's electronics.

I opted to put a blue tooth speaker/mic in my Tahoe. Works great! Cost me $80 (Supertooth II). I know Motorola makes BT speaker's, too. BT in the 3er works great, too.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    you are correct here....the verizon generates a second number for you assigned to the OnStar account....and that is the number you can foward to.....second line charge is 9.99 a month.......
  • taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    ...plus the perminute charge for the forwarded call, right? :sick:
    Hi,

I got an email today from my dealer that included the "GM Order Workbench" printout listing the Preliminary Order Detail for the 2008 CTS I ordered on 10/25.

I was wondering if someone who has been through this could list the approximate sequence of steps/documents that will take place from now until I take delivery? I seem to understand that at some point a "Build Document" will be generated that might list VIN and other details with the build date and delivery date.

Thanks.

-CB
    markcincinnati - I think you missed my point with the Audi GM comparo. To the contrary, you can take a GM vehicle elsewhere if the service is lousy, but you can only take a VW product (if you want it done correctly) to their dealerships. So one could easily postulate that if Audi is made by VW, then the same situation (parts and service issues)
    would apply.

I do agree with you on the big town situation though. Las Vegas is a small town in big town clothing, although no one from here wants to admit it. Choices are very limited in more aspects than just car dealerships. Many people here have always lived here so they have no comparison. I live both here and in Cleveland.

Will pick up my 08 CTS, black on black V6 DI, auto, RWD, U2S, PDW & PDR, no moonroof tomorrow afternoon, can't wait. Would have picked it up today, but I can't drive two cars at the same time.

Anybody know what the deal is with the spare tire? They forgot to order it, and the sales person told me that if it wasn't ordered then you can't place one in the "provided" spare tire well. Doesn't seem to make much sense.

thebug...
    ctbarker3232 - For me, I received the notification of order first as you did, then I received the build date, VIN number, and the fact that the vehicle was produced at the same time, and in short order, the vehicle arrived. I'd say about one week after the last notification. Initiated the order on 9/16/07, placed the order on 9/26/07. I will pick it up tomorrow 10/31/07.

thebug...
    I have the family plan and their is no extra charge for call forwarding. As I mentioned the sound quality is outstanding, it is like the person you are speaking to is sitting next to you.........
    The spare tire well is the same whether you get the tire or not. Without the tire they put a removable air pump and goo tank in the well and hold it down with the same bolt hook you would use for the tire. You can just take out the compressor and put in the tire, it's that simple.
    What does it take in the way of key punching to do the forwarding?

Verizon needs to have a default forwarding number so that you could have calls forwarded simply by turning off your cell phone rather than have to dial in every time you want to forward or unforward, every time you get into or out of your car. Simply turning on or turning off your cell would tell the system whether or not to forward the call.
  • redcadladyredcadlady Member Posts: 2
    Yahoo!Picked up my car yesterday evening and it is gorgeous!!! Was reading on the the posts about the onstar, using your cell phone number. I asked, but I don't have the family plan, so I couldn't. I'm still learning about everything. What a car, and the ride is just a heavier road hugging experience than my lincoln was. I love it, love it, love it.......and the red tint coat......!!!! WOW! Planning a road trip. I'm a happy girl!!!
  • letsgometsletsgomets Member Posts: 6
    The Bug - I bought a 08 CTS last month, with no spare. After getting a flat tire (at 500 miles, my fault) and having a nightmare experience with the inflation/sealant kit, I called my dealer and placed an order for a spare and jack. The dealer confirmed that there is enough room under the trunk cover and you should be able to get your dealer to give it to you for the same price ($250) as if you bought it with the car (aftermarket price through Caddy is almost $500).
    You can change to a family plan. Just add your car as the other member. You will have shared minutes. Several plans are available. Push your OnStar button and they will transfer you to Verizon. The person at Verizon will know exactly what you want and need. I sold a beautiful convertible corvette and purchased the CTS. No regrets.....
    To make an immediate forward you press *72 then the car # then send. To end the forward you press *720 then send.
    For a delay forward (cell will ring 3-4 times before being forwarded) you press *92 car number then send. To end press *920 send.
    letsgomets - Thanks for the info. I am on it. Picked up the CTS today. It is awesome!!!

thebug...
    bingoman - Picked up the CTS today, and had a chance to take a good look at the spare tire well. You are absolutely right. Thanks for the input. Car buying is exhausting, but I love it. I'm sure the salespeople are tired too, after a two day heavy pricing battle. It really pays off to read through these threads.

I won by the way. I have only driven the car for 32 miles (from the dealer all freeway), and let me tell you, the car is awesome. Head over hills improvement from the first generation CTS, which was no slouch in my view.

thebug...
  • knotemknotem Member Posts: 62
    thebug,
    Congratulations on the new CTS. I’m considering ordering one in January without the sunroof. I just like to know if any deposit was paid for placing the special order? Did you make the deal when ordering the car, or after it arrived?Any advice when ordering?

Thanks
    Im also ordering in Feb....negotiate your deal..get a signed sales contract in writing...have them place the order in their system and get an order number...it price protects you from any increases that may occur in the model year production.....that is what we did when ordering our 06 Pontiac Solstice when they were a hot commodity..got the first one delivered to our dealer...who is also a Cadillac dealer as well..

most dealers should take a min deposit...mine is only asking for $500 and they hold my check till the car arrives...
  • golfnut5golfnut5 Member Posts: 202
    I noticed in pictures of the 08 CTS the leather seats look stretched where the driver has been sitting. I had a 03 CTS and the leather seats also got stretched on the seat bottom. The leather seats in the CTS are the only leather seats in a car that seem to have this stretched look. This is not a problem, I just don't like the look. It doesn't look normal. :confuse:
    knotem - When I ordered my 03 CTS, there was no deposit required, on the 08 CTS they wanted 2K (different dealer) and it appeared that they just pulled the number out of the air. The negotiations were after the car arrived, but it was pretty much clean cut with the Costco discount (2K over invoice). That's the going rate for Costco and the CTS because it's such a hot item.

Get your figures together before you go to negotiate (they hate that, but it's works to your advantage). It helps prevent the four squares game that they play. When ordering make sure they enter everything you ask for and get a copy of the order request. Request a build date about ten days after your order is placed.

My friend, I tell you the car is awesome, very much improved over the first generation.

thebug...
    pao - Don't beleive them when they say they are going to hold the check. I was told the same thing, but three days after I wrote the thing it cleared the bank (not an issue because it was part of my cash payment). They had to have sent it the same day that I wrote it. You can negotiate the deposit as well because they are not having trouble selling this car. These cars are flying off the lots everywhere.

thebug...
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    One thing I noticed in comparing R&T’s acceleration numbers to C+D’s:
    R&T typically published the least quick numbers of the “big 3”.

R&T’s 0 – 60 number is a 6.0 = 2 tenths slower than C+D ( 5.8 )

BUT.
    R&T’s Quarter Mile numbers are 14.5 at 98.2, while C+D reported 14.6 at 95.

What I find most interesting is that the R&T test car was an automatic – and R&T recorded a quicker Quarter Mile at a higher terminal velocity than C+D recorded in a car with the six speed manual trans.

One factor here may be gearing. Though both the manual & automatic clear 60 in second gear, the manual trans. requires an additional shift ( at 95 MPH ) just before the end of the Quarter – while the automatic does not need to shift from third to fourth until clearing the lights, at 105 MPH.

Interesting . . .

- Ray
    Thinking 14.5 for the automatic version is respectable . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    this one dealer will...the 06 solstice was a hot item too when it came out.....and he held the check for six months, order the car in May, accepted by GM for production in July and didnt get it until Dec...he could have cashed it as well.....but again..with order times of 6-8 weeks, subject to constraints for the CTS.......its not so much a big deal...
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    Edit:
    C+D Quarter mile = 14.6 at 97 MPH,
    not 95 as I (mis-)typed.
    Hence the 95 MPH shift in the manual trans. version is an issue...
    My apologies...
    - Ray
    2022 X3 M40i
  • cosmo13cosmo13 Member Posts: 31
    Has anyone had a pin stripe painted on their new 2008 CTS?
    My 2004 had a pin stripe, it looked good.
    I have held off doing pin stripe on 2008 CTS.
    Cosmo13
  • knotemknotem Member Posts: 62
    Pao, thebug
    Thanks for the helpful information. I’ll probably order the PDW, PDR and U2S with the DI Engine.
  • arby1arby1 Member Posts: 83
    You can check in the show room how a pinstripe looks . They often do one to show customers .
  • jpennjpenn Member Posts: 68
    Cosmo13

Saw a Black Cherry CTS the other day. It was going in the opposite direction so I didn't get a long look. It had a gold pin stripe which to my mind was not very attractive because the stripe was too far down due to the front fender vent. My opinion is to leave the striping off of this model.