Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2008 Cadillac CTS

Comments

• Options
    gsearlesgsearles Member Posts: 3
    Hmm, I'd like to know if it's a new factory option though its hard to imagine. I agree with the folks who really dislike the sunroof/shade, and I've only been in a new CTS for 15 minutes.

Greg
  • Options
    knotemknotem Member Posts: 62
    There's no waiting period for the 08 CTS according to Cadillac spokesman; he also said "dealerships sometimes maintain waiting lists at their own discretion":

http://ask.cars.com/2007/09/cts-wait.html
  • Options
    adamg2adamg2 Member Posts: 12
    Then I guess the problem was the fact that I ordered it in manual which requires it to be a factory order. The wait is painful.
  • Options
    paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    this individual is also taking delivery in Canada...so the wait time may be different than US orders as well.....Im still getting 6-8 weeks from order to delivery subject to any constraints on options..
  • Options
    knotemknotem Member Posts: 62
    6 to 8 weeks is a standard factory procedure; either you order 08 CTS or Ford Torus. About two and a half months ago I was one of the firsts to test drive the 08 CTS, hoping to buy one then. I was very frustrated when I saw the translucent sunroof shade; the dealer told me that it usually takes about 6 to 8 weeks to have a special order delivered.

In January I’ll probably place my order right after I see what Cadillac will be offering in 2008 North American International Auto Show. In the last couple of months I read many things on the internet about the CTS, including a potential retractable convertible top; I would definitely buy it if Cadillac will offer it for next year Model or at the least if they’ll offer a conventional sunroof as a new option.
  • Options
    snagssnags Member Posts: 27
    I really wanted to like the CTS after I test drove it after considering the MB 300 and the g35 and thinking the CTS Had all I wanted . But after the ride with DI I wasnt so impressed as I thought i would or the reviews.

I dont know if it was the way i fit into the car or the low driving position after driving my CHRYS 300 but I was disappointed .

Truthfully it was on a closed track the large dealer had installed but it didnt seem like a 300 HP car and I thought the drive train was a little rough .

Am I way of base on this?
  • Options
    do you know what suspension you had...FE1,2 or 3?....I have found the 3.6L DI had plenty of pickup and go....it definitely gets out of its own way....dont know what 300 you have...if you have the V-6 the 08 is rated at 250HP and you dont step up to over 300 HP until you get the V-8

The CTS does have more of a cockpit feel now..which I personally like....was it an AWD car......how would you describe it as a little rough??? just curious....

I would say the G35 is cheaper cost wise for the same features by a 3k or so......but the CTS styling is far better IMHO......
  • Options
    vic10vic10 Member Posts: 188
    Well, wasn't yours a depressing little post. This was the year I promised to finally reward myself with a Cadillac (been my goal since pre-teen years) and it was the CTS that drew me into the showroom. Driving a 300C, I expected even the DI motor would come up a little short but figured the rest of car would be extra pluses. Sitting in the car was my first disappointment--visually striking but it felt too confining. Great for a 30 minute drive but wonder how it would feel after a 4 hour haul. And now your comments.

Admittedly I haven't driven one yet for any long periods of time (I plan on renting one for a weekend) but already I'm thinking perhaps I should concentrate my efforts on the fuddy-duddy DTS which aspires to a totally different set of goals.....
  • Options
    bobelewbobelew Member Posts: 17
    I have only had my 08 CTS for a little more than two weeks, but already have about 1300 miles it. I have the DI with AWD, sunroof and just about every other option available. I wanted it completely decked out. I have spent quite a bit of time in the car trying to wring it out. I must say that the engine doesn't lack for power. I noticed that after I had put a few hundred miles and started to really put my foot into it that the engine has started to loosen up just a tiny bit. I have absolutely no complains on the HP issue. The base engine with the FE1 suspension sure did leave a lot to be desired, but the DI has left more than a few surprised drivers behind. In that time I have been able to spend some quality time on the road. One trip was over 300 miles each way. I didn't find any problem with comfort in those 5 plus hours trips. I find the interior to very comfortable and accommodating. I can click on the cruise control and just leave it, uphill, downhill had the control set to 75 and it just rolled along with no input from me.
    Also, I can't find any complaint with the sunroof. For the most part I just leave it uncovered. Having all of the light and scenery really opens up the car making it feel larger than it really is. This car is really a lot of fun to drive, whether on the road or just cruising around town. I have so many people come up to me asking about the car. At this point in time I haven't found any real issues with the car, but I am still in the process of "wringing it out"!
  • Options
    I didnt mean to disparage the car only to say I was disappointed with the drive train more then anything.

The car has great features,but I didnt think it lived up to the hype and it felt alittle tight inside, especially compared to my 300.

I quess I thought it would be smoother then my 300( drive train ) but the 300 is actually smoother.

When you are trying to move up and spending that kind of money you want to walk away saying yes!!!!!!! and I couldnt.
  • Options
    I guess when you say spending that kind of $$....a comparable...but still lacking quite a few of the features.....still runs about $39K MSRP .......but they currently have a $2k incentive going......according to the Chrysler site where I built one.....

I have a 47K MSRP CTS priced at the dealer for $43.9 at the moment....
  • Options
    ctbarker3232ctbarker3232 Member Posts: 15
    I got an email from my dealer this week about my 3 week old order for a fully loaded CTS 08 RWD with B20 and P83 options (wood, 18" wheels).

I specifically negotiated with the dealer during the sales process that they would use their single alloted slot to order this car with the above mentioned constrained items. Well, now Cadillac can't get any more wheels! Apparently, the regional manager pulled the dealers allotment on the wheels!

I got the sense the dealer is none too happy. I'm a bit disappointed. I am firm I will get the features I demand - eventually. But, it may not happen this year but early next. I told the dealer I was not concerned when I took delivery but that I had to get all the features.

How long does it take to resolve supply issues like this? I have been reading about this constraint thing since production began back in August. Someone at Cadillac HQ goofed big on anticipating orders?

Well, at least its not a 2008 Mercedes C350 Sport. I went and looked at the new Mercedes C Class for comparison shopping. Almost exactly the same price as the CTS fully optioned out. I was a bit underwhelmed. Anyway, I got around to asking about delivery times for orders for the Sport model. The response: 3 months! Apparently, they are made in South Africa!

-CB
  • Options
    arby1arby1 Member Posts: 83
    You must have the Hemi engine which has 340 HP . The 300 is a much larger car and possibly smoother because of the bigger engine , however , the visibility out of the front windshield is much better on the CTS than on the 300 , so the CTS is a much better drive .
  • Options
    ctshadafloodctshadaflood Member Posts: 21
    Nothing spared and every option available. 400 miles later and 9 days. It was flat beded back to the dealer. Stalled and wont start. Its typical american automakers at its best. How could i????????????
  • Options
    Actually its the 250 Hp. I actually went with the 300 because the seating and view is much higher on the 300.

I was just expressing an opinion that others may or maynot agree with.Like I said I relly wanted to like the car because of all the features but I was disappointed that I didnt.Thats what test driving is all about.
  • Options
    rem506rem506 Member Posts: 13
    2 weeks ago I ordered a fully loaded RWD with B20 and P63 (wood shift knob/steering wheel and the high polish 18" aluminum wheels). My dealer told me getting B20 would be no problem for them because they were entitled to order 1 in 5 of their new CTSs with this option. They also gave me no indication that the P63 would cause a problem.

I also negotiated with my dealer in a very specific way and there is no question that I would only accept the car exaactly as ordered. I'm now nervous based upon your post that I may be waiting longer than expected. I'll contact my dealer and see if anything has changed in the last two weeks.
  • Options
    christina271christina271 Member Posts: 65
    I went to my local Cadillac dealer and test drove what i assume was an fe2 (the salesman had no idea what that was). The ride seemed to be perfect, not too harsh or soft. Went back a few days later and drove a different car that was much softer (probably an fe1) and hated the ride. Is the FE2 suspension a stand alone option? Went back to the dealer on Sunday to look at the cars on the lot, but there was no indication on the stickers as to which suspension the cars had. Does this mean that the standard suspension is FE1?
  • Options
    150mphclub150mphclub Member Posts: 316
    FE1 is standard. FE2 comes with PDR package.
  • Options
    markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    The FE2 suspension is fine, but compared to a base suspension BMW 5 or Audi A6, I still say the CTS w/FE2 is "floaty."

If discounted and subvented, who cares?

I must say, however, I find this perhaps somewhat of an issue, especially if you are trying to move to American cars (and I am.)

I drove the G35x, an A6 (which I own) and several other vehicles. The FE2 suspension adds about a 1/2 of a suspension travel cycle over indulations that the standard suspension of other ELLPS and LPS cars simply don't have.

I could live with it -- but "more's the pity."

Here's hoping for lease deals and / or discounts to make it easier to overlook this "characteristic."

Now I'm thinking the upcoming bigger A4 may just be what the doctor ordered. . . :confuse:
  • Options
    hemi05hemi05 Member Posts: 5
    I ordered '08 CTS, DI, red, AWD, Premium Luxury Pack on 10-16-07. MSRP was $46,350, GM supplier price is $42,844. Getting very anxious for delivery. Dealer not very helpful on delivery time. Would appreciate info on others' experiences on time it took from order date to delivery. Thanks.
  • Options
    You are correct in that the seat is much higher in the 300 than in the CTS , however , there is a price . When waiting at a red light in the 300 , you can't see the traffic light because the roof gets in the way . I also find the rear view mirror in the way in the 300 .
  • Options
    FE2 comes with the all season tire performance package the FE3 with the summer tire performance package....PDR does include FE2
  • Options
    rdssatxrdssatx Member Posts: 5
    I picked up my '08 CTS in early October and now have about 1800 miles on it. It's a red DI, AWD with all options except sunroof and nav. I ordered it to my specs in late August.

Last Thursday, on my way home from work, as I was accelerating away from a stoplight, the car suddenly jerked as if it had jumped out of gear. It immediately slammed back into gear and continued accelerating. This was a normal part throttle start. It quickly became clear that the car now was locked in whatever gear it had been in at the time. I believe it was probably third gear as the car was very sluggish from stoplights and was running at about 3,200 RPM at 40 MPH. I drove it about 10 miles home (the dealer was already closed) and about 12 miles back to the dealer the next morning - all in one gear.

It was appaerantly the first time the dealer had had an '08 CTS in with any kind of problems. They gave me a loaner car and I went on to work. They called me on Friday and told me there had been a speed input sensor failure in the transmission. No parts were available anywhere so it would have to be air freighted from Lansing. I would be without the car until Monday.

Late Monday afternoon the dealer called, said the part had arrived and been installed but it hadn't solved the problem. The tech said that the sensor thought the car was going 80 even when it was in Park. They called Technical Services and were told they would need to also replace the Transmission Control Module. This time the part was not even available in their warehouse and would actually have to be pulled off the production line. I was told I would not get the car back until Thursday.

I got a surprise call from the dealer yesterday saying that the car was ready to be picked up early so I was able to go in and get it after work. No charge for anything. My only disappointment with the dealer experience was that adter having the car for nearly a week they couldn't even bother to wash it!

I love my CTS despite this event. However, this is the first GM car I gave ever owned and I find my confidence in it, and GM, a little shaken. I know that new designs can have some problems and that electronics can fail at any moment, but it is still a dissapointing experience in a car this expensive.
  • Options
    rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    That’s annoying. And frustrating. Sorry to hear . . .

Given the gearing in the 6L50 trans ( identical to the 6L80 in my Corvette ) and final drive and tire size, I’d guess you are correct that it was ‘stuck in third’. This appears to be the standard ( ? ) GM “limp home” mode for cars with this series of 6 speed automatic transmissions. My experience has been that this is regardless of what gear the trans. was in when the trouble occurred.

Did this also light the Check Engine Light?

My 2007 Coupe has had only one issue – and it resulted in the “limp home” mode that you describe. I even waited a full production year of this trans., specifically hoping that GM \ Chevy would have any issues resolved by the time I purchased my Corvette. Oh, well.

What parts were listed on the final repair order – any solenoids?

What was your loaner?

Thanks,
    - Ray
    Weighing sedan options still . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    beerme1beerme1 Member Posts: 67
    Does anyone know when crash ratings will be done on this stunning American car?
  • Options
    jpennjpenn Member Posts: 68
    Just spoke with a Cadillac Salesman who said that the 304 DI engine will be required on all 18 inch wheel performance packages. Is this accurate information?
  • Options
    buckets1buckets1 Member Posts: 5
    i have been reading messages on the new cts. i have been looking at it and like design change from 2007. one concern may seem trivial, but nothing being said about a car without a spare, although its an option. i can see fixing a nail type flat, but what do you do for a blowout. salesman was surprised when i questioned him., stating cts comes with a pump and the stuff to spray into tire through valve stem. what happens when you get a blowout, damaging sidewall. this cant be fixed by pump. after lenghtly conversation with salesman it was concluded that car would have to be towed. imagine problems with this. towed to where if your in a secluded area. my advice is buy spare tire option. any views on this.i have found car salesman not to knowledgeable on some questions. i have had 2 blowouts, potholes and items in road with my present auto.
  • Options
    adamg2adamg2 Member Posts: 12
    I ordered the base engine (263 hp) with the performance package (fog lights, 18' wheels, sport suspension, limited slip, all-seasons). May have to be a factory order but its possible.
  • Options
    rdssatxrdssatx Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the comments. I will try to answer your questions...

The "check engine light" did come on. It was actually one of the problems because they couldn't get it to go back out right away. After the "incident" I called OnStar and had them run a diagnostic. They found two engine/transmission faults but were unable/unwilling to give me any more information. They did tell me that I needed to get the car back to the dealer within 24 hours and asked if I wanted a tow truck.

The repair order does have a sensor listed - Part 24238417 described as Sensor 4.239. It also identifies fault codes DTS P0716 & P0717. I don't see any specific reference to the Transmission control module they said they had to replace but it is probably called something else on the bill The other parts listed appear to be mostly related to having to drop the transmission pan twice.

The loaner car was an "07 DTS. I was surprised at getting a car that expensive but I wasn't very impressed. It "floated" all over the road. My 12 year old son was embarrassed to be seen riding in an "old mans car"
  • Options
    puckspucks Member Posts: 47
    Ordered on 8-30-07, delivered to dealer on 10-19-07. 7 weeks and 1 day.
  • Options
    puckspucks Member Posts: 47
    First clue. FE1 only comes with 17 inch wheels.

FE2 and FE3 both come with 18 inch wheels.

Look for description on the option list

All Season 18 inch tires/wheels is FE2

Summer 18 inch tiere/wheels means FE3

My guess - you won't see too many FE3. Very firm ride, real sporty. Most 18's will be FE2.
  • Options
    many cars today are going the way of the green stuff and pump vs the full spare or the donut...saves space, weight and costs these days....not sure that a 40-50k car should.....but many are to include the imports...so its just not the CTS....what happens if you have a blowout.......roadside assistance is the only option....provided by GM or AAA....pick you poison...
  • Options
    ctbarker3232ctbarker3232 Member Posts: 15
    Hi,

I know the lack of Bluetooth in the CTS is a source of frustration for some. I just read about the "Venturi" device that looks like a fairly clean and easy solution to the problem in the short run.

http://www.myventuri.com/overview.aspx

The Venturi Mini is a new and unique product combining Bluetooth® Music streaming with Hands-Free calling and USB style charging. The integrated FM RDS Transmitter streams stereo audio through the in-car sound system for music playback and hands-free. The Venturi Mini requires ZERO INSTALL and simply connects to the cigarette lighter socket in the vehicle making it easily transportable. The integrated OLED display and high performance microphone enables high quality crystal clear hands-free with the received audio coming through the in car speakers.

-CB
  • Options
    I thought that a "limp home " mode limits your speed so that you cannot go above a certain speed . He was driving 40 MPH .
  • Options
    the one thing that isnt clear in the install manual..is whether or not the preset FM Freq has to always be on the stereo in order for the system to work.....If I have to have to have it constantly preset to one particular FM freq, then I loose all my other playback options.....this is a major drawback..

it doesnt state for an example if you have the system working...and you get an inbound call..does it automatically go to the preset freq in order for it to play throught the car sound system...my quess is it doesnt and that requires you to manually tune to that freq.....
  • Options
    rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    "I thought that a "limp home " mode limits your speed so that you cannot go above a certain speed . He was driving 40 MPH . "

There may be other limits, including a MPH limit, when in this "limp home" mode - but I ran my Corvette at up to just over 50 on my trip to the dealer - in 3rd gear.

I believe that the TCC may not lock in this mode either, for example...
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    thebugthebug Member Posts: 294
    Took the CTS on a mountainous test drive today. WOW!!! I really don't have time to take the normal 19/20 state test run yet, (it's winter) so I took a short 150 mile or so run through the twisty turny mountains on I-15 and what a treat. If you are familiar with the climb from Dry Lake (just after the Nevada state line) to Baker Ca, then you'll know it's a pretty good long climb.

The 304HP DI is quite impressive. Was able to hit and hold 95+ with room to spare only requiring a shift to fifth gear once or twice, and this was mostly to slow down until I could find an opening to pass. Blew the doors off of a couple of BMW's , 3's and 5's, and yes as I passed them I said to myself, "yes Mr. BMW that was a CTS that just blew by with relative ease".

One could easily tell that they were on the struggle because they were in the fast lane blocking the view. Left them far back in the rear view for the entire climb. One 3 series convertible tried to hang, but he fell off long before we even got to the steepest part of the climb. I am seriously impressed (not surprised) with the performance of this car. Can't wait unit spring for my multi state run.

thebug...
  • Options
    bingomanbingoman Member Posts: 373
    I know that hill very well. The problem is not so much that those cars can't keep up as it is that their drivers don't have the intelligence or courtesy to keep to the right and out of the way of faster drivers.
  • Options
    bingoman - You are absolutely right. More often than not, you have to pass on the right because those on the left don't realize that they need to change to a lower gear to pull the hill at speed. Thank God for the (third) truck lane, otherwise it would be an all day trip up the grade. Next week I want to do the Virgin River Gorge (weather/holiday traffic permitting) which is the small (15 mile) stretch of I-15 that cuts across the northwest corner of Arizona. It is the ultimate roller coaster for cars, 15 miles of steep downhill twisty turny (with awesome banks) interstate. The 03 CTS was able to take it at 110MPH once ( with no traffic in the gorge of course ) flawlessly.

thebug...
  • Options
    sevenfeet0sevenfeet0 Member Posts: 486
    That reminds me of the trip I took with my wife to Napa, CA this past Memorial Day. There is a great 7 mile stretch of road on the north end leading out of the valley toward other parts of northern Cali. It's all hairpin curves, straight uphill. My wife and I had rented an '07 CTS for the trip and we had some time to kill before dinner. The great thing about the CTS was that not only was it a sporty rental car, but it was a car I had once owned and knew intimately what it could do under stress. Needless to say my wife in the passenger seat spent all of that drive going and coming back hanging on for dear life. :-)
  • Options
    Bug - are they still working on I-15 between the border and Los Vegas? I'll be going from LA to Vegas on tuesday to spend Thanksgiving and my birthday with my daughter's family.

On your little trip did you go into Baker or did you turn around at the top of the hill?
    There are a bunch of new restaurants in Baker. The Bun Boy was bought out by the Big Boy chain and they ruined it. Fortunately the other new restaurants make up for it. I usually stop there for lunch on the way to Vegas, and sometimes get an early start and stop for breakfast on the way back.
  • Options
    In case any of the powers that be at Cadillac are reading these posts I would like to present the following list of features I would like to see added to the '09 CTS:

1. A locking gas door.
    2. A backup camera integrated with the nav screen.
    3. Adaptive cruise control.
    4. A single button to close all windows and the sunroof when locking the car.
    5. A button to override the automatic headlight function delay to be able to immediately turn on the lights when entering a garage or tunnel, and turn off the lights when exiting so the navigation screen becomes visible.
    6. A lockable trunk that the valet cannot get into (lock the fold down back seat and disconnect the trunk release button.)
    7. A more opaque sunroof screen (shade), or electrochromic darkening.
    8. A hybrid engine.
    9. A system volt meter.
  • Options
    nextone1nextone1 Member Posts: 15
    I agree with 1, 2, 5, 6, 7 and 9. But I'd add:

10. A grab handle over the front passenger door.
    11. Magnetic ride control
    12. High-definition radio
    13. Floor mat grommets to match the cashmere interior (i.e., not black)
    14, A delete option for the wood steering wheel so you can get just the wood shifter.
  • Options
    I would also like power folding outside mirrors.
  • Options
    bingoman - The three lane expansion is finished all the way up to the first Las Vegas exit (MM#27) where they are still working on the overpass. It's about a half mile maybe less of construction (two lanes NB three lanes SB) and it's not so bad.
    The SB expansion has been finished for a while, but there's still a barrel or two sitting out.

I actually stopped at Bob's Big Boy for lunch, it was that bad, but I'm a GI so you can't trust my judgment of taste when it comes to food. I think everything is good if I don't have to cook it. That being said, if I think it's bad, then it's really bad. If you drive on Tuesday you might beat the worst of the holiday traffic.

thebug...
  • Options
    sevenfeet0 - The twisty turnys are always the best part of the road trip. I'm going to play around in the big states on the West Coast this spring (or early summer if it's still snowing) on my road trip with California being first. Do you remember the number or name of the highway you were on?

thebug...
  • Options
    Bug - thanks for the info. I never go up on Friday of come back on Sunday.

If you are looking for twisty's on a freeway you might try California 14 from Palmdale down to the San Fernando valley. It's about 30 miles of curves downhill all the way.
  • Options
    mdchachimdchachi Member Posts: 275
    Since there is no interface to the car, I'm sure you're right. You'd have to change to the preset frequency when you want to use the handsfree system. Maybe not too bad if you use a radio station preset and practice a few times.

I've heard that the FM frequency is so crowded in some places (such as Southern California) that it's almost impossible to find a free frequency, especially if you're traveling from one city to another.

My other concern would be the microphone. Down there by one's knee is probably not the optimal location.

Still, it looks pretty cool for what it does, especially at that price point.
  • Options
    sevenfeet0sevenfeet0 Member Posts: 486
    You're looking for the Lake County Highway heading north off of Hwy 29 whic is the main road leading through the Napa wineries. Paste the following coordinates into Google Earth to find where I'm talking about. Make sure you ask Google Earth to highlight the highway so you can see it through the trees. Do these curves look interesting? :)

38°38'57.05"N 122°35'30.44"W
  • Options
    leslie12leslie12 Member Posts: 15
    What is "costco discount"? I never heard of this.

Thanks.