Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Cadillac CTS

Comments

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    Thanks for the review of your sorry situation (which we all hope is resolved) -- several of us are waiting to hear the long-term outcome.

In the meantime, it'll help those CTS people who are having "issues" keep hope that it'll (eventually) get better.

Paragraphs are good things, BTW.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • ajl1223ajl1223 Member Posts: 13
    Thanks for the info...I also have the standard engine. When I got the check engine light,I called ONSTAR, they sent a probe and nothing showed up, this was done twice. They are presently checking one of the cylinder heads for sensor issues. No answer yet. As to the loaner car...the dealer rents through Enterprise and they gave me a Blazer. Service manager stated that the GM rep was not happy as i should have a compact, dealer told him the "customer is driving a cadillac and he is getting the Blazer" I am concerned as my vehicle is being kept till next week. I am wondering if I have the same problem as you had? I will keep all posted...
  • rcantwellrcantwell Member Posts: 77
    Hopefully it is just a sensor or something simple like that. My dealer also rented through Enterprise. The first week Enterprise said the Cobalt was all they had although I saw other cars on the lot. The second time we had a Chevy Uplander for a day then a nice Grand Prix for the next three weeks, we refused to take another Cobalt. My service advisor kept pushing Enterprise to try and get a Lucerne for us but it never happened, but my wife was happy with the Grand Prix, at least it had power everything, the Cobalt had power nothing. The heck with GM they should provide you with something at least comparable to what you own.
    The first time I got the check engine light the car started and idled fine and didn't get an alert from Onstar. The second time I guess it was getting a lot worse, that's why it would start rough and I guess why Onstar picked it up. If your dealership is behind you ,you should be fine. My dealer started out pretty iffy, but came through in the end. I never thought the car would be the same even with a new engine, but the mechanic did a great job of reinstalling the engine, tranny, exhaust and the entire front suspension. They realigned it, charged the AC and so far it is as good as it was when we first picked it. Believe me I know how frustrated you are and hopefully they will find something simple and put you back on the road. Just stand up for your rights and what is fair. GM might not back down, but the dealer, if they are a good one, can get GM to do pretty much what they want. Keep us posted.
  • jdavis12jdavis12 Member Posts: 19
    Regarding Enterprise - they have a very wide selection of vehicles and multiple locations in every major locality. No way you should have to drive anything less than a full size car with a decent name plate. My dealer here in the Midwest makes it very clear to Enterprise that they are to provide a Cadi for a Cadi if they are to remain as their rental provider. I have unfortunately had plenty of service experience and have always been satisfied with what I have been given for a rental. Most occasions, I get a DTS which is a floating boat but at least is a comfortable ride. If no Cadi available, an SUV or other options are offered. Keep up the pressure - you deserve better for your $40k+ veh hassles.
  • sls002sls002 Member Posts: 2,788
    When my 2002 SLS was in the shop I got a Suburban (all that Enterprise had), but after a day, they needed it back (it was reserved), so then they gave me a jeep.

The dealer's contract with Enterprise paid them a very low basic rate, so they would have given me the cheapest rental available. The more that warranty costs are, the higher the price will be for a new car. I don't think that you are entitled to an expensive rental vehicle unless you want to pay extra to upgrade.
    I am still waiting for additional information on the car. As of now,2/28.. no answer . I advised them that I have a bad feeling about this but I will wait until Friday. I have submitted a complaint with GM. I will keep you posted
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    My dealer uses Enterprize too and unless for some reason they have a huge amount of people bring in their cars all they carry are DTS and CTS's. Of all my 6 Caddys I have owned I got an HHR a couple months back after a big snow storm and below zero weather and a lot of customers were in with troubles. Funny thing is I have asked for a different car just to drive something else and they say sorry. Another thing is as long as you bring it back with gas about where you received it they don't care. So I look at it as I get to drive it a few days on their gas and mine is always washed and cleaned when I get it back.
  • jdavis12jdavis12 Member Posts: 19
    A Jeep is a significant upgrade with most rental companies- not a bad deal compared to the Cobalt story. I agree, we aren't necessarily due a luxury vehicle but Cadi dealers should hold the rental providers to a higher standard just as any luxury vehicle owner should be entitled to - ie: keep the Cobalts out of the line-up. Dealer business is a significant part of a rental companies revenue.
    Just got an update from the service manager. Design of one of the cylinder heads was an issue. Apparently there is a TSB on it. If anyone can confirm advise me please.No water getting into the cylinder head. Parts have been ordered. I have not seen the vehicle.Engine is apart..No leaks. Was a sensor issue also causing a change in the cylinder function. will try to get a more indepth explaination.
    Keep us posted. With just 2600 miles it is BS they are having to pull a head and do engine work. That was my complaint at 1800 the engine should be replaced, of course water geting into two cylindrs was a major problem for me at least. Good Luck.
    O TOTALLY disagree with you. If your car is in the shop for 29 days and you are making payments on a 40K plus Cadillac, you DESERVE a comparable vehicle.
    I will keep you posted..there were no leaks in the engine block or water in the cylinders, as this was my first question....will have more info tomorrow. Awaiting a call from GM rep. I advised the salesperson that she HAS to get involved with this issue. I told them that I want at least one month of lease payments waived. Dealership offering free service. Dealership has been helpful, but we will see how far they go. My statement to them was "this is supposed to be your flagship car and for 40+ thousand it sure as hell should not have these issues at 2600 miles"Ps it is the left side head
    al
    Left side is where mine was getting water into the cylinders. Hope you have good luck with the GM rep, I didn't but I am sure it is a different rep for your area. All the GM rep ever offered me was a free oil change and tire rotation, I told them where to put it. My local service manager got me a car payment and lifetime oil changes. Free service doesn't sound like much, unless you are talking about oil changes and tire rotations. After all the car has a 5 year 100,000 warranty on it.
    My car is on a 39 month lease. The rep from GM is supposed to call me tomorrow[Friday]I will let you know what he says and i am also going to question the service manager is to the exact work that will be performed. The issue is that the dealership is about 30 miles from my house. I had taken their dealership that is close to my house, but the cadillacs are serviced at their dealership 30 mile away. Any suggestions on the questions i should ask the service manager in reference to this repair??? If anyone on this board can help with that I would appreciate it.
    AL
  • johnstingrayjohnstingray Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone had any experience with brighttrim.com? They have a nice looking license plate frame with the correct CTS logo for $55.00 that I'm thinking about ordering.
    I think if you look at your warranty you will find that it says that loss of use of the vehicle is not covered, nor is a rental vehicle covered. At least that is what mine warranty says.
    Cadillac actually gives you a rental for overnight and as long as the vehicle is in the shop.
    Further information on my CTS Advised today that there is an issue with the overhead cam and a shift in the cylinder head. they are conferring with cadillac engineers. Dealership also advised that the will not "rebuild engines" they would replace. The plot thickens and i may call an attorney. If this issue is not resolved shortly I will try to get out of the lease.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    From Caddy's web site:

"Courtesy Transportation Program
    During the warranty coverage period, alternate transportation and/or reimbursement of certain transportation expenses will be available under the Courtesy Transportation Program if your vehicle requires warranty repairs. Several transportation options are available. Refer to your Owners Manual for details, including reservation of rights, or consult your dealer/retailer."
    2022 X3 M40i
    Doesn't sound good, I can understand what a cam problem might be, but what the heck is a shift in the head? Anyway, it sound like it might be something major. FYI, once they finally decided to replace my engine, it four days to get it to Oklahoma by truck from Flint Michigan, which I thought was pretty good.
    The dealership already had the old engine, tranny, and front suspension out waiting for the engine. It took my mechanic four days to mate the new engine with the tranny, had to change the oil pan, cuse they sent him an engine set up for an all wheel drive SRX, and reinstall it and the front suspension, realign, and charge AC, The 5th day dealership spent preping the car better than they did when it was delivered new, couse it was basically new.
    Since yours is a lease maybe you can get out of or at least get them to replace it with another car, if that is an option for you. Stand up for your rights, if your dealership is standing up for you that helps tremendously. I have seen that in person. Keep us informed, I personally know how frustrated you must be. My ordeal lasted three weeks the second time. Good Luck and keep us posted.
    February 29 ………..Sales manager spoke to me reference to the car. . All aware of the condition concerning the vehicle and they are awaiting to hear from the GM zone manager. I advised them that this appears to be a major engine problem that had to happen during manufacturing of this vehicle.It should be noted that there is an issue with the cam I told him that no rebuilt engine I would want a new one. In addition I reiterated that I want my lease payments waived or reimbursed. I also stated I do not want to be the “guinea pig” for repairs that “may” work.I think we may have had a similar issue....When did you take delivery , Mine was ordered from the factory and was delivered 10/31. I am preparing to possibly lemon law the vehicle...but i will give them their shot to fix it. Dealership has been supportive
    We ordered ours in September 07 and took delivery Oct 30th 07. Does seem kind of fishy doesn't it, the engines were probably built about the same time. We had an 05 CTS with the same engine and never had any problems at all.
    As far as lemon laws go, here in Oklahoma, they have to fail to fix the same problem three times, or the car is in the shop for 45 days during the first year. Mine spent 29 days in the shop since the first of the year. Your state wherever that may be could be different.
    Funny that they have to wait to hear from the zone manager. They had to wait for two days to hear from him when I first refused to even let them tear the engine down to inspect it. Told them if they tore it down they bought it. They actually got approval for the new engine from Cadillac technical services, after I finally had to let them tear it apart. Cadillac threatened to take away the rental.
    There is another 08 CTS at my dealers with less than 200 miles on it. Was sold and it almost immediately developed electrical problems. Buyers got out of the deal, and it has been in the dealers shop for about two and a half weeks. My mechanic said since it wasn't a customers car any longer that he would have to work on it around warranty jobs. Said he though it had some sort of grounding problem but so far has been unable to fine it.
    I am old enough to know better than to buy an entirely new car the first year but D****T it was just too good looking to pass up. My 05 only had 15000 on it and I could easily have driven it and waited till 09 to buy. Oh Well.
    My only advice is to stand up for your rights, and try to develop a relationship with the mechanic. I know you aren't supposed to go into the shop, but my mechanic told me to just to come to the bback door, pound on it and he would use his opener to let me. He did too. I found out more about what was going on through him than anywhere else.
    On the plus side my car continues to exceed my expectations, ( I didn't have many), no leaks or rattles and running as good or better than when first delivered.
    Good Luck Keep us posted, and try to keep a good attitude, I didn't but It would have helped.
    Mine was ordered at the beginning of October and was delivered on October 31...unfortunetly I will not be able to see the mechanic as the dealership is just to far, though I will take a ride out next week. As to being a first year new model.I kind of agree but I thought I did good research, had access to the protoype before the general public at the NY Auto Show in 2007. Lemon law here I believe is 30 days in the shop......I have an attorney on stand by, no charge to me as if this goes Lemon Law , the manufacturer pays him. After reading your post I am convinced that these two cars were manufactured at the same time.If there was a way to contact you I would correlate your situation to mine,then make the point that any vehicle made at that time WILL have that problem. That info BTW is available in the VIN #. I have to keep reminding myself that I have my health and not to let this bother me, but i will tell you knowing that at the moment my car is a $40,000.00+ paper weight gets to me....
  • robcorrobcor Member Posts: 2
    ....I am old enough to know better....

Me too, but instead of waiting for the '09's, I'm still trying to buy an '08 also. Problem is, the dealers are still hanging tough on their idea of a trade difference for my '06 CTS. Seems as though they must be "emotionally tied" to their '09's and don't want to turn loose of them! lol

Actually, I'll probably end up waiting for the '09's and hope for, at least, some minor changes such as body side mouldings, larger fog lights, universal home remote as a separate option, an opaque sunroof cover, etc.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your story.

P.S. - Really glad to hear that your problems have been resolved and admire your patience....as for me, I really don't know how you tolerated it.
    I don't think they will allow us to post personal information on this site. Tried it once and it got deleted. If you can figure out some way for me to get your e-mail, or me to send you mine, I would have no problem with it. I am curious and would like to see how close our VIN's really are. If they are close, I would say that GM had some issues at the engiine plant during that time. I know how you feel about the 40K paperweight.
    I didn't tolerate it very well, and I am sure my service advisor would tell you I am a real jerk. That seemed to be the only way to get anything done at first. My wife would be the first one to tell you that I have no patience, so you can imagine it was a very stressful three weeks.
    However as I have posted earlier, the CTS continues to exceed my expectations since we have got it back. I really expected to have a car back with rattles and leaks, and so far none of that has happened. I wish I had taken a picture of the car being worked on. Enginew , tranny and front suspension on the floor. Exhaust laying elsewhere, it was a shock when I saw it and I honestly didn't think they would ever be able to get it back together correctly.
    Really glad to hear that your problems have been resolved and admire your patience....as for me, I really don't know how you tolerated it.

Thats easy, you would have blew your top, spit and sputtered, threw a tamtrum same as I would have, then calmed down when you realize it wouldn't have helped much and set and waited for the repairs to be done.
    Actually dmatthews, that is exactly what I did. Did it help much? Probably not with GM, but it certainly put the dealership on notice that I was not going to be bullied into accepting what I didn't want. How much it helped I don't knw, but the dealership did a 180 and got behind me for a new engine.
  • knotemknotem Member Posts: 62
    Lack of “opaque sunroof cover” was the only show stopper for me. Now I’ve been reading about the first model year problems and CTS is no exception,

I’m too waiting for the 2009 model and hope for opaque sunroof cover, or at least a change in the ordering guide to allow PDQ “Premium Luxury Collection” without the sunroof; otherwise I’ll be buying another E Class with a decent sunroof cover over my head.
    I do understand that some type of vehicle can be provided if the car is out of service for more than a day or so. But what you get is not required to be equivalent to what you own.

My dealer has courtesy transportation, and if the car is held overnight, I don't think that you can expect a car to drive, but they would probably take you home. Since I am retired they would have taken me home anyway and then will come an get me the next day when the car is ready. For a longer time period, a rental is available, which Cadillac would pay for. However, the rental is up to Enterprise, who has a flat rate deal with the dealer.

My 2007 SRX warranty does not require a replacement vehicle. A replacement is available as a courtesy if my car is out long enough. I recently had the axle seal recall done (a 3+ hour job) and I was offered a ride (by the courtesy van service the dealer has for everyone) to where I might need to go. I had brought a book to read and stayed. They were done in less than 3 hours.
  • rvothrvoth Member Posts: 147
    The vin number will tell GM which batch numbers of engines were mated up with your vehicle. Whether it be the 265 hp or the direct injection 306 hp engine. They can tell when the engine was produced and how many during that time frame. But it's only for GM to know this privlaged info, to control the quality and amount.
    This engine is used alot in other GM vehicles ,interesting to find out if other 3.6 liter engines are experiencing the same problems in other brands of GM vehicles....... :surprise:
    I am on AOL..to figure my e mail just check my screen name
    If you are not getting your rental or loaner vehicle, then you are not taking full advantage of your warranty. "Alternate transportation is also available whenever your vehicle is in for warranted repairs " That is directly from the Cadillac manual. Doesn't say anything about how long, if they keep it overnight for whatever reason they owe you a rental or loaner vehicle if you care for one. The rental is up to Enterprise and what they have available. The dealer can also call them and tell them that a vehicle is not acceptable, that is what happened when we refused the Cobalt the second time. We ended up with a nice Grand Prix. These are part of the " privileges" of owning a Cadillac. TAKE advantage of them, you are already paying for them. I saw the rental bill for my four weeks, one with the Cobalt, and three with the Grand Prix. GM is not getting any special super rates. My 05 CTS had this same rental or loaner statement. Your 07 SRX should also. if you are letting the dealer bluff you out of a vehicle then it is your own fault. The loaner/rental vehicle is there for the taking.
    My dealers alternate transportation is a courtesty van. When my 2002 Seville went back for a second fix on the transmission, I got an Enterprise rental which was a Suburban for about $20 per day (the dealers special rate). My dealer (a Chevy-Cadillac dealer) does not give out rentals for problems that only require a few hours to take care of. My owners manual does state that a rental car is not automatically made available, but that my dealer may offer courtesty transportation of some kind.
    If you are not getting your rental then you are getting screwed and screwing yourself. Maybe you should look for another dealer. MY dealer also has a courtesy van for one day repairs to take you to work or hom. If your car is required to stay overnight then you are owed a rental/loaner. Under warranty repairs that require them to keep the car overnight or longer will be covered by an alternate means of transportation. This can be a loaner, rental, or they can reimburse you for the expenses you make ofr other transportation. Funny that you are the only one that has posted about this matter that doesn't get a rental or loaner. MY dealer automatically offers it to me, doesn't hesitate or balk at it at all. Even went to bat for me with Enterprise this last time to get something better than the Cobalt. They wanted a Lucerne but one wasn't available. The small town I live in Enterprise is the only game in town. Once on my 05 I turned it down cause it was just going to be one night. Wise up cause you are getting screwed. You are paying for the rental program whether you know it or not every time you buy a
    Cadillac. USE IT!! There are precious few privileges left but this is one of them for owning a Caddy.
    Based on my experience with Enterprise when my Seville's transmission was being repaired, it takes about an hour to get the rental car. Then it takes about an hour to return it. That is two hours of wasted time. My SRX was only there 2 and a half hours. I spent the 2 and a half hours reading something i wanted to read. I did not spend the 2 hours getting and returning a rental car that I could have used for only half an hour anyway.

Now the Seville was in the service department for a couple of days after I dropped it off. So a rental was really needed and they gave me one. I think that abusing one's privileges is one of the basic problems this country has now.
    That's what you get for thinking. You are not abusing anything when you get a rental when your car is in the shop. It is something you deserve and Cadillac will GIVE you. You have already paid for this privilege when you bought the car, believe me it was included in the price whether you know it or not. Your Enterprise must either be extremely busy, or run by a bunch of dunderheads. Here in my town, 15 minutes to get the car, the same to return it. When I go to pick one up the car has already been arranged by my service advisor, and is waiting for me.
    My next question is can you read? No where have I said you deserve a rental if your car is in the shop for a few hours. Overnight or longer is what I have said, and said, and said, please read and understand this. I do not abuse any privilege, in fact if you would take the time to slowly read my previous post, you will READ where I turned a rental down because my 05 was only going to be there one night and I had other transportation. My 08 has been in the shop 7 and 22 days respectively, now TELL ME where I am abusing anything.
    Capital Caddy in Lansing has an Enterprise right at the dealer with nothing but Caddies for loaners. Here it takes at most 15min to do the deal once you get your turn. He takes licence types in name etc. has you sign it, takes you out to look and sign there is no damage and says there is such an such gas in the tank and try to return it about the same. Most of the time it is full and I can drive it a couple 3 days before it even gets off full so basically a free ride. When I get my car back it is sweep out if needed and unless it is pouring down rain/snow a wash job too. I don't know if I would trust them to replace an engine as rcantwell had to do but for the most part they do a fairly good job.
    Our Enterprise dealer is about a block away from the dealership. A nice walk if the weather is nice, or the dealer will take you there in their COURTESY van. Haven't seen any Caddy's at our Enterprise, mostly compacts and intermediates with some SUV's too. One thing Enterprise did tell me is that GM would only pay for a GM rental car. Seems like in an earlier post someone mentioned getting a Jeep from them so I wonder if this is right or just some BS the cute little gal told me.
    Dmatthews, I think I just got lucky and my dealership had a couple of mechanics that still care about the quality of their work, After a 200 mile trip yesterday, we have put about 700 miles on the car since the engine swap and it is still doing great. Gas mileage is back up too, averaged 27.1 yesterday, mileage had fallen off with the old engine, must not have liked trying to burn water and antifreeze.
    Glad to hear things are going smooth. Geez wonder why it wouldn't burn water. I remember scammers trying to sell things to put on your car to do just that. Also remember the oil filters that you could use toilet paper as the filter. Now if we could only get those 100mpg carbs of folk lore of old. :P
  • ralph010ralph010 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2008 CTS with everything.

I'm no computer tech, so I'm having trouble is storing CDs on the HDD. Can't figure out the files to separate the CDs into catagories or whatever. Also, I can play my ipod Nano through the radio, but it says I can' t record the songs. Any suggestions on better directions on recording CDs?

Dealer says the have an after market bluetooth adaptor - any experience with this?

Otherwise I love the car, just need better instructions in the manual.
    If you go the bluetooth route make sure it works with everything you have as bluetooth is still not always up to speed yet. Another year or so.
    My new Cadillac dealer is at one end of the city while the Enterprise agency is at the other end. If the traffic is light the time to drive one way is about 15 minutes, so it takes about half an hour for enterprise to get someone to the dealership to pick you up.

From my point of view, if your car is in the shop for an oil change or whatever, and will be ready before the end of the day, the best solution is to take the courtesy van to work and have them bring you back later. On the otherhand, if your vehicle will be in the shop for more than a day, I agree that a vehicle to drive is warranted.
    When my Seville was in for a re-fix of the transmission (they used the wrong gasket the first time) I started out with a Suburban and Enterprise had it reserved for someone and wanted it back and gave me a Jeep to replace it. I don't know anything about the dealer's agreement with Enterprise or what GM requires for rentals. I don't see how GM can require a GM rental if one is not available.

On the other hand some administrator at the dealership fussed at me for getting a rental when I came back to get my car. I don't know if the Jeep was a problem or if it was getting a rental. My service manager is the one who took care of authorizing the rental in the first place.

I think each dealership has their own policies about how to handle rentals. My old Buick dealer would give me a used car off of their lot to drive which was no fuss at all. But there is some risk to the dealer to do this, and larger dealers can't do this for anyone and everyone - insurance policies would prevent this.
  • jharoldjharold Member Posts: 11
    I've had my CTS a month now and have 1800 miles on it. On gas mileage around suburban Atlanta, I'm getting a little over 20 miles per gallon. On a trip to Jacksonville this weekend I averaged 25 miles per gallon running 70/80 miles and hour. I'm impressed with the power and handling of the DI engine and F2 suspension and love the interior and exterior. Only problem so far is the left rear door lock will not unlock with the remote... I have to unlock it manually.
  • cptsullycptsully Member Posts: 18
    Hi there-

I seem to remember reading a TSB (technical service bulletin) out about the rear door lock. Ask your dealer, they may be able to do a quick fix.
  • sevenfeet0sevenfeet0 Member Posts: 486
    Just wanted to chime in on the discussion.

Although it seems that Cadillac dealers do seem to have a corporate relationship with Enterprise for rentals during customer service visits, it's seems odd that the relationship parameters seem to vary from dealership to dealership. For example, my dealer in Nashville has an Enterprise desk in the dealership and using them is pretty painless. The dealership is pretty lenient on the standards for getting a rental. And I've never seen anything but Cadillacs in the rental fleet...usually DTS's and CTS's. They used to have someone to shuttle customers to their place of business too if they wanted, but I haven't seen that service in a little while.
  • 150mphclub150mphclub Member Posts: 316
    I had occasion to visit Coastal Cadillac in Port Richey, FL a couple of weeks ago. The Enterprise desk was about 10 feet from the service desk.
    Ours was inside the dealership. They moved to a separate location about 6 months ago. Guess they didn't have enough room and a wash/service facility. They are now about a block away from the dealership.
  • 91199119119911 Member Posts: 54
    Maybe I missed something...where do we order from?

Thanks
    Cj
  • anniesez455anniesez455 Member Posts: 3