Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Cadillac CTS

Comments

• rcantwellrcantwell Member Posts: 77
    That's a bummer, sorry you are having so much trouble. Are you still considring going after them on the lemon law? Update on my car, it has about one thousand miles on it since the engine swap and everything is still going great. Of course that means the car only has about 2800 miles on it total, but it is running and getting much better mileage than it ever did with the orginal engine.
    Good luck with the GM rep. My experience with my bad engine was that the GM rep was totally useless. He was 100% for GM and 0% for me. Had it not been for my local service manager finally taking a stand I would have not gotten my new engine, and I would be driving around in a new Cadillac with a patched up damaged motor.
  • mthmth Member Posts: 18
  • mthmth Member Posts: 18
    Hey Chuck,

Sorry for the delay, I responded to this a while ago but something crashed along the way.

I finally found the code under the spare tire cover. I almost missed it as the sticker is a very similar color to the cover.

The paint is correct - GM WA 417P Kelava Gray is the same a Thunder Gray.......

Thanks again. I checked the site for the moldings and they look nice and are a great price. I asked them about color matched moldings for my '07 Grand Cherokee but they said no - they only make them for cars that come without molding from the factory.

Matt
  • lms2lms2 Member Posts: 2
    Hi All;

I've been lurking and reading the discussions here for a couple weeks and have learned a lot. I'm presently getting ready to replace my 04 Audi A6Q, and I'm seriously considering a CTS AWD. I'm down to chosing between the Caddy and the G35x (awd). I took a CTS for a 2 day test drive a week ago, and am doing the same with the G35 tomorrow. I have a couple CTS specific questions that I'm hoping you'll be able to answer. I'm looking at the DI Engine, AWD (MX7), Perf Collection (PDR), Bose/HD/USB connectivity (U2S).

1. I've seen a lot of debate about the rear seat room, specifically the height of the seat from the floor pan. Does anyone have an actual measurement? I didn't notice it being a problem when I had the car, but I didn't spend much time in the back. The car will occasionally have 4 people in it, 3 of them above six feet tall and long legged.

2. Related to #1 above, I'm hoping to gain some headroom by not getting a sunroof. The salesperson thinks, but is not sure, that I'll gain headroom with a sunroof delete, but I'll have to order a car. Does anyone know for sure? I'd hate to commit and order one and get an unpleasant surprise.

3. I like the Easy Key and Homelink that's part of the Luxury Level II package (Y41). I absolutely don't want the Premium Collection (PDQ) that includes Y41, and I don't want to get the Lux Level I (Y40) that comes with Lux Level II as part of PDW. The dealer seems confused about whether I can just get Lux Level II with the packages I mention above. Has anyone done this?

4. Re: pausing and rewinding live radio. If I'm surfing and hit an XM channel that's the middle of a song I like, can I rewind to the beginning (stuff I didn't hear), or can I only rewind what I have already heard?

5. Just amazed at no bluetooth phone pairing in a car of this class. The dealer mentioned a dealer installed option, probably aftermarket. Anyone have any experience?

Thanks!
  • osteoman2osteoman2 Member Posts: 26
    It is my understanding that any car built after 4/07/08 will have bluetooth option. This information came from cadillacforums.
  • 150mphclub150mphclub Member Posts: 316
    Ordered my car on 2/29/08 with PDR & PDW packages. Still no build date because of constraints on PDW. The economy is supposedly tanking, but GM can't produce my car.
  • genuisitygenuisity Member Posts: 9
    I tried to order a White Diamond 08 CTS with DI Engine, Premium Luxury Collection, All Wheel Drive, 18” Performance Package, Polished Wheels and a Spare tire (all options). Total MSRP was $49,590. My only request was NO SUNROOF since they don’t build an opaque sunroof cover; the Dealer told me that the only way to get my order through if I remove the Navigation System from the order. I told him to contact me if he can get me the car that I want; I never heard from that Dealer again.

I’ve read many complaints in various message boards about the translucent sunroof and I thought Cadillac will do something about it sooner rather than later, the Dealer also said that he wish Cadillac would be more flexible so he won’t lose my deal or somebody else’s for that matter.

I’m not in a hurry for a new car; but I’ll definitely not buy it unless they fix the translucent sunroof, and it will be nice if they also add the Bluetooth option. I’ll wait for 2009 Model; otherwise I’ll look elsewhere.
    Any Cadillac can be ordered without a sunroof. Cadillac has a dealer order code called "sunroof delete". The code is R6G.

Currently some common item (?) in PDQ & PDW is not available. By the way, the spare tire is currently unavailable, too.
    150mphclub

According to my dealer, back in December 07, in order to have Primary Luxury Collection without the sunroof I’ll have to order Codes Y40, Y41, PDR and U2S (no navigation) and there is no other way around it. He said that I CAN NOT have the PDQ and Delete the Sunroof. I’m sure since then many things has been changed.

I did some research and I came up with the “Online Order / Reference Guide”

http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/dmdindex.htm

According to the Reference Guide only 2007 CTSV has a code CFN (Sunroof, Delete) but I didn’t find “R6G” sunroof delete under the 2008 Model.

Please advise me for the website that shows code R6G (sunroof delete).

Thanks for the insight.
    I am sorry, but I cannot recall where I found the sunroof delete code R6G. Check with thebug. He says he ordered his CTS using the R6G code.

I rechecked the paperwork I have for my own order, which was placed on 2/29/07, and it uses the code CFN (sunroof not desired) for my 2008 CTS, Model 6DP69 3.6L V6 DI.

Sorry if I provided obsolete information.
  • caddygrlcaddygrl Member Posts: 2
    I don't know if you're still upset about the conquest program or not but I wanted to give you some information to hold on to. GM did not screw you, it has been reviewed and discussed in the past that customers will receive the current incentives at the time of delivery when an order is placed. The reason this makes the most sense is because, say you place an order and you get a great price from the dealer and then a new (better incentive) comes out, you're gonna want to take advantage of the new incentive right? If the dealer told you no you agreed to the price before the new incentive came out, you would go across the street to the next dealer and buy the car with the new incentive. Also, even though you signed the contract for the order you do not own the car until you drive off the lot. Dealers can tell you this but until you take delivery of the vehicle you are not committed to anything. I hope this helps your frustration some. You can blame the dealer who you placed the order with for not explaining this to you clearly but not GM because these have been the rules for years. I know I had a similar situation come up.
  • caddygrlcaddygrl Member Posts: 2
    Actually, it is not until 4/28/2008 - that is when the new models will have bluetooth in the packages. I am a Cadillac Dealer and received the notice from GM on Monday.
  • ctshadafloodctshadaflood Member Posts: 21
    The second best seller in Color to Red was discontinued. I could never make sense of these decisions. Typical of an American manufacturer , If it sells...discontinue it,lol
    My order for a light platinum DI, which was placed on 2/29/08, supposedly has not yet been built due to constraints on the PDW package. Are you saying that when/if I get my car, it won't be the color I ordered?
    This is what GM said:

Updates for 2008 CTS
    Week of 4/7/2008
    Effective 4/7/2008, the following changes will be made to the Vehicle Order Guide:
    • Color and Trim section-Exterior color (67U) Light Platinum, added footnote #2 "No longer available for ordering.".

I don't think that they completely deleted the light platinum; I believe what they meant they‘re no longer accepting special order for that color starting 4/7/08.
  • sls002sls002 Member Posts: 2,788
    This reminds me of my 1991 Buick Reatta. My Buick dealer had ordered one for their inventory. However the 1991 models were not put into production until they had as many orders as they could get. Buick was advertising a rebate on non-existant Reatta's though. I agreed to take the Reatta that was ordered if I could be sure of getting the rebate. My dealer got Buick to agree that the rebate should be mine since there was no way to get a Reatta until they were finally put into production.
  • bingomanbingoman Member Posts: 373
    The first iteration of the 2009 GM order guide has just been published at;

http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/dmdindex.htm

It is not complete. :confuse:
  • ral1960ral1960 Member Posts: 74
    I hope you (and everyone else) complained long and hard to your salesman about the mess GM has made with their option packages. The dealers probably hate it, too, but somehow GM HQ has to get the message. You pay that much for a car, you should be able to get it the way you want it, not what's convenient for them. Some of us stayed with American cars in their lean years for that flexibility.

I sat in a G35 at a car show in February. Rear seat room was terrible--even worse than the 328 as I recall, though I didn't get my foot stuck in the footwell as with that car. The sunroof will steal some headroom front & rear, which was my problem with the CTS back seat. Legroom was ok, the smaller (compared to 07), curved seatback helped actual and visual kneeroom, don't remember noticing that it was too close to the floor.
    No deletions allowed to Equipment Groups.

Equipment Groups: PDQ CTS Premium Collection, includes:
    (Y40) Luxury Level One Package,
    (Y41) Luxury Level Two Package,
    (Y42) 18" (45.7 cm) All-Season Tire Performance Package,
    (Y44) Seating Package,
    (UAV) audio system with navigation,
    (C3U) Ultra View sunroof,
    (B19) Wood Trim Package,
    (B20) Wood Trim Package and
    (P63) 18" x 8" (45.7 cm x20.3 cm) aluminum wheels with high-polished finish

This is what I want with the exception of the cheesecloth sunroof cover. But GM message is, IF YOU DON’T LIKE TO BAKE YOUR HEAD in sunny California, Nevada, Florida….etc, GO TAKE A HIKE.

I was hoping that in 2009 CTS GM will either add a traditional Sunroof, or allow their best paying customers to buy a car without the undesirable sunroof design. It’s very bad decision from GM.

GM! You lost it, and you’re about to lose me too, along with the high percentage of your big spending customers who accept nothing but every option you offer, and they also wish to have their head fully covered from the sun when they don’t need it..
  • srynsryn Member Posts: 29
    Can you explain the difference between the bluetooth capability that you indicate will be available in post-April models and the hands-free capability that is currently offered? An acquaintance previously explained to me that while CTS's didn't offer bluetooth, they could be synced with an owner's current cell-phone service to accomodate hands-free communication. Is that true and, if so, how is bluetooth fundamentally different?

Thanks in advance.
  • lms2lms2 Member Posts: 2
    If I thought it would do any good, I'd complain, but I think GM has been doing things that way for about a million years. Someone must think it's useful.

I ended up ordering the CTS today. The legroom tightness in the back of the g35x was a deciding factor, although it seems like it had more headroom back there than the CTS (even without the sunroof in the CTS).

LMS
    It is not only GM that has the "take it or lump it" attitude. In September of 05, I special ordered a Mercedes without the sunroof (Sunroof was a $1700 option). Five months later it was still not on their production schedule, so I cancelled.

I challenge you (anyone) to try to buy an Acura, Audi, BMW, Infiniti, Lexus, Mercedes or other non-american luxury car without a sunroof.

The CTS I ordered (without sunroof) on 2/29/08 has not been built yet, but I am clinging to the hope that GM will build it.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    I was somewhat encouraged when I read this - posted regarding the 2009 STS, not CTS, but still:

"Changes

Repackaging created (implemented 4th quarter of 2008 model year) "

I have not seen an explanation of exactly what that means - but perhaps GM \ Caddy has heard some of us complain...
    - Ray
    Did not buy a V8 STS largely due to option packages & individual option availability issues...
    2022 X3 M40i
  • cptsullycptsully Member Posts: 18
    Hello All-

One of the things I DON'T like about my CTS Nav system is the fact that while you're driving, and hit "nearby POI's", it gives you a very limited number, and you can't scroll down too far. However, once you stop, it offers POI's out the wazoo.

I remember reading a post that had a link to aftermarket software you can install that would allow you to manipulate nav system and info while the car is moving. If I recall, it also lets you watch DVD's while driving, (though I have no intention of doing that.) Does anybody have that link? Anybody try that software? Do you think installing it voids any warranties as well?

Thanks!
    I just spoke with my saleslady this afternoon and was told that dealers had only two more days to order 2008 CTS's. After that they will be ordering 2009 cars. Blue tooth will be available and there are some color changes, but nothing else appears to be changed.

I had hoped for the addition of a rear view camera to be available with navigation, and possibly a change to the sun roof screen, also the possibility of power folding mirrors and automatic cruise control, but it appears that they are not to be for this year.
    I doubt that any dealer knew about specifications or materials changes ahead of next year model announcement; it’s a possibility that the company might increase the engine horsepower, or the quality or the intensity of the sunroof screen without a change in 2009 ordering guide. It’s also a possibility that Cadillac don’t want to announce all 2009 improvement at this point so they can sell their 2008 existing and coming stocks without deep discount. As for automatic cruise I would rather have an infra-red camera for night vision than the “Adaptive Cruise Control” which has been proven not very reliable yet in luxury cars that have it.

I had to drive about 35 miles away from where I live to see different Cadillac Dealer. The salesman was very helpful and told me that he thinks he might locate a CTS built with PDQ (luxury collection) without the sunroof, but I doubt it. He also said that I wasn’t the first one to complaint from the sunroof screen and the Cadillac representative is aware of the problem; adding “knowing Cadillac, from past experience, they don’t react as fast as they should”. He also assured me that Blue Tooth will be no problem in future CTS.

I have sunroof in my Lexus along with every car I’ve owned/leased for the last 15 years; never had problem with sunroof and never complaint from it; matter of fact I love it. I just don’t understand what Cadillac had in mind when they designed a controversial sunroof that can not properly cover it.

In September 2007, I went with my dad to buy his new 08 CTS, and that was suppose to be his fifth or sixth Cadillac, he ends up buying a Mercedes E350 just because of the translucent sunshade; it’s simply not acceptable.
    The dealers have already been issued the specs and color samples for the 2009's. They are taking orders for the '09's.

As to my speculations as to the options I hoped would be added for '09, they were based on some observations and my own personal hopes. I held out buying an '08 based on those hopes and observations.

As to the backup camera, one of the engineers on the Caddy blog said I should 'stay tuned' when I asked about the camera, but it was not to be. The hope for power folding mirrors was based on the presence of an extra switch on the mirror control panel below the mirror switch in the photo of the black interior in the '08 brochure. I thought Cadillac would respond to the complaints of the translucent sun roof shade but they have not. The other items where pure speculation based on options on other similar priced cars.

I hope your father enjoys his Mercedes, but I will stick with the CTS.
  • ewl88ewl88 Member Posts: 76
    From what I understand the hands-free capability is linked to onstar. The salesman says that verizon wireless users will get a new "free" phone number that automatically forwards to your mobile phone. But nonverizon users may have to pay for the new number/account. And of course onstar isn't free for more than 1 year. I haven't confirmed this information.
    Bluetooth is pretty standard is most luxury cars and some nonluxury cars. It is a wireless radio technology that allows your mobile (if it has bluetooth built in- most recent phones do) to communicate with your car's bluetooth system. A car microphone picks up your voice and transmits it to your mobile. People speaking with you are routed through your car speakers. The tech is not perfect- pairing is sometimes problematic, sometimes mobile's contact will not be downloaded by car's bluetooth. But when it works, it is really good and removes the need for a bluetooth headphone or earbud. I don't use a bluetooth headphone but a good car system should be clearer and eliminate the need to fumble around for the earbud.
    Hope this helps.
    I hope the cts offers bluetooth. I am still deciding on my next car when my Inifini m35x lease is up.
  • rspruittrspruitt Member Posts: 13
    Adding my 2 cents, I'm sure Cadillac has a sound reason for not including Bluetooth in this vehicle, but it's a clear competitive disadvantage. If an owner utilizes Verizon as their cellular provider the work around is fairly effective. Verizon will set up a number to be linked to OnStar which will utilize the same bucket of minutes. This works for outbound calls but inbound callers must dial the OnStar versus cell phone number. Call forwarding from your cell to the car does not cure this problem as double minutes are utilized. If the car owner does not utilize Verizon, then essentially you are paying for an extra phone line.

Add-on Bluetooth kits are available but I'm not a fan of customizing a brand new vehicle. Alternatively, buy a $100 Bluetooth earpiece and live with the inconvenience.

(That being said, I love my CTS and will live without Bluetooth for now.)
    A Cadillac dealer, about 35 miles away from home, is trying to locate a CTS with all options, without a roof, emailed me saying that he might have one for me in few days.

According to Edmunds.com the average loaded CTS is sold about $1,000 above invoice, and according to Costco their negotiated prices should be better than the average price at Edmunds.

My question is how much did you pay "ladies and gentlemen" above invoice? Excluding incentive, GM card pay back, Employee/Supplier discount…etc.

Your input is really appreciated
  • horns1976horns1976 Member Posts: 56
    My mother wants to buy a new car to replace our 10 year old Buick Century. Currently, I do all the driving for her. She would like another Buick. I asked our local Buick dealer to get a LaCrosse Super for me to test drive. I was told NO way, wait for the 2010 model. Whatever. Their loss, my gain.

I really like the 2008 CTS, especially the RED color. I have sat in one but did not drive it due to the tiny rear window. I am only 5'6" tall and my mother is much shorter than I am. When I drive, I never use the outside mirrors. I turn and check to my left or right. Will the design of the rear of the CTS give me any visibility to the left or right when I turn to look or will the headrests and rear pillars block my view?? If there's no visibility to the rear, I'll forget the CTS and move on.

All comments appreciated. We really need new wheels and I want a sporty type vehicle. The CTS is about the only American car that I would consider at this time. Thanks to all.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    Why would you have to wait for the 2010 LaCross Super model, which is TWO model years away???...
  • bryanbryan Member Posts: 198
    Yeah, that kind of perplexes me too--my GM dealer has had one on the lot for at least three months with no takers. Why would a dealer not want to sell you a car NOW? Surely they don't expect you to wait two years?
  • horns1976horns1976 Member Posts: 56
    I agree with bryan and marsha's comments. The dealer didn't want a Super on his lot if I didn't buy it. That's the bottom line. The head honcho said the new LaCrosse will be out in Oct. 2008. I say no way.

I still plan to check out the 2008 CTS further. I really like the car and it has received positive reviews. One knock on the CTS is "rear visibility." I guess I'll see for myself if I drive the vehicle.
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    My mother is in almost the same situation. She wants a new car but something smaller than her LeSabre. Ie - about the size of the old Regal/Century.

Buick makes no such cars.
    If she doesn't mind going a bit larger, though, there is a good alternative, though. Get her a 2007 or 2008 Certified Lacrosse CXS. This car has several things going for it:

1:The 3.6VVT engine is from the CTS. It's geared, though, for low-end torque instead of high-end HP. As a result, it's *faster* than a base CTS around town, since the torque jumps to nearly maximum(looks like a flat line almost) at about 1600rpm. Far below that of the CTS. It has zero lag as a result. So it feels very eager and fast, like the CTS. It also can, as a result, pass quickly in overdrive without having to drop down a gear. It feels like the world's smallest V8 instead of a V6 the way they've set it up.

Their change to the 3.9 is because they need the 3.6 engines for the CTS, which brings me to point #2.

2: It's a front wheel drive CTS with a Buick badge on it, and it costs a LOT less. GM makes less profit off of it than the CTS, which is why their limited 3.6VVT production is going there from no on. The 3.9 is a revamped 3.8 and drives like it. laggy, hunting for gears, throttle lag... it's a joke compared to the 3.6. The Super is really an overblown version of the same nonsense. Why pay premium money for the latest bling when you can get a CTS mechanically, or close to it, for less money?

3:It has the same suspension as well as the first generation CTS. It's a massive improvement over the typical slush and wobble that Buicks normally have. I drove a normal LaCrosse and this back to back and it was like someone turned the "suck" switch off and it transformed from a toad to a little tiger. It really is a drastic change.

Note - the Lucerne CXS is also a similar eye-opener. It reminded me of a late 90s S420. Like no Buick I've ever driven. Big, solid, powerful, and tight.

4:It's family and older person friendly. Good interior, nice seating, and exactly what most people in their 50s and 60s want. It's also easy to see out of the rear. The optional bench seat up front opens up the front to where it feels much roomier inside as well - almost like a slightly smaller Lucerne. My mom was impressed. It also can be had in a nice light leather interior, unlike the G6(black leather only).

5:It's inexpensive. As I mentioned, a one year old certified version can be had for well under $20K now. With the remainder of the recent 5 year/100K mile warranty.

6:The transmission is the venerable 4 speed GM. This is actually a GOOD thing. First off, these are a whopping $1600-$1800 to fix compared to $3500+ for a Camry. No joke. Price a CTS transmission rebuild versus a Camry or most anything else with 5-6 gears in it. $3500-$4500. Ouch.

The 4 speed is exactly right for a car with loads of low rpm torque like the Lacrosse CXS and the Lucerne CXS, because they need to shift less often. You get a smooth ride and the thing has the torque to muscle its way to the next gear.

GM's mistake was mating it in the original designs with the 3.8 and 3.9, which is a typical pushrod design made to get good EPA ratings and as a result deliver maximum power at 4800rpm or so. So it developed closer to 120lb-ft of torque and maybe 130hp driving around town. Got great gas mileage, but drove like a turd. It needed more gears, since it was programmed to shift at about 2500rpm unless you floored it. The gearing was also so high, that to do this, you needed to keep it manually in 2nd until about 50mph to reach maximum HP. 3rd maxxed at almost 90mph, and overdrive was impossible - well over the design limits for the car(130 or so). This wasn't red line, either - just where you managed to get the listed HP!.

First gear maxxed out at 25mph, leaving a suspicious hole between first and second, which is why it was such a turd around town. The thing sounded like it would explode at 25mph and then boom - 230HP to 130HP at 30mph and then a long climb up to maximum again. And the torque converter locking up if you let off for an instant at any speed over 35mph didn't help, either. I know the 3.8 well - I lived with four of them through the 80s and 90s. But the 4 speed IS a very reliable and bulletproof transmission. Just they stuck it on everything when it was made designed to work with V8s.

The CXS, though, is like an old 60s V8. Less gears is fine(and less money to maintain/fix) because it has no lag down low. You blip the throttle 1/5th the way down and you're at maximum torque instantly. Mile high gearing works well in this case. And it's why old V8s did fine with 3 speed automatics - with 400hp+ on tap, there wasn't any situation where it lacked for power. Plus, the 3.6 is a very smooth and refined engine.

***whew*** :)

The only other car that I would recommend would be an IS300. The IS350 is overkill and the 250 is underkill - it's worse than a typical Camry V6. The IS300 had a better engine, handles a bit better since it's 200lbs lighter, and a certified version is quite inexpensive. And you can see out of the back, unlike the new IS. It is the only Toyota I ever drove that reminded me of a Volvo or BMW from the 90s. Completely European sport sedan feel - but with some luxury as well.

The paddle shifters plus the I-6 and RWD made for a very good car.

P.S.
    http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=240623087
    A typical example of a LaCrosse CXS.
    On 2/29/08 I put a deposit on a CTS with the PDR & PDW packages. Two months later, I don't even have a prospective build date. Funny path to profitability.
  • muschanymuschany Member Posts: 4
    When I first started shopping for my CTS, I went the Costco route. Turns out their price was MSRP minus $750. Not much of a deal in my opinion. That was in late January or early February. It may be different now.

I ended up ordering my CTS and was quoted a price of $300 over invoice. My car had an MSRP of $37,640 at the time I ordered it. It has gone up $500 now. I just picked it up Saturday and paid $35,321. This was almost $1,000 below both Supplier Price and Edmunds TMV. I think I got a very good deal. Please, don't anyone burst my bubble!
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    I beleive one of the packages you ordered has been on the constraint list during each allocation...probably need to ask your dealer if the order has been picked up yet or not....and ask what are the constraints on your order .........

if the car has not been picked up yet from dealer allocation...it may not be built in 08MY..my understanding was the last day to order was last Fri....thus the dealer will have to resubmit your order for an 09 ...since they dont care over from one MY to the next
    I started asking the dealer at week 5. Every week I ask, and every week I am told it has not been scheduled for production yet. Last week I sent an inquiry to Cadillac. I got an "automated response", but no answer.

Cadillac's business plan seems to be, "spend a lot of money on ads, but pay no attention to actual customers." Strange way to run a business.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    One new item for 2009 that I have not seen posted here:

KB7
    NEW! Steering wheel mounted Paddle Shift Controls
    1 - Included and only available in (Y43) 18" (45.7 cm)
    Summer Tire Performance Package and (MX0) 6-speed
    automatic transmission.
    2022 X3 M40i
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    if you havent gotten a confirm yet....I doubt it will be built...again...its not GM..but rather the allocations your dealer gets..and they knew 5 weeks ago whether they had any allocation remaining.........and remember..each dealer is an independent franchise........
    It won't be built. The dealer returned my deposit.
    The car has been doing greatsince the hassle of the engine swap at 1800 miles. That whole ordeal could have been so much better if Cadillac actually had any customer service. Their idea of customer service is we are right you are wrong and you can't do anything about it. If it weren't for my dealership's service manager I would have been royally screwed on the whole deal. I had never bought a car at this local dealership because of their bad reputation in the sales department. I made the best deal I could elsewhere and took it to them and said beat it or I am buying it there. They beat it by $500 and I am SO glad they did. If I had bought it elsewhere I can only imagine the horrors I would have gone through.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,498
    How many miles on the new motor?

Have you been back to the dealer for scheduled maintenance? If so, did you ask for "your" mechanic?
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • chrism124chrism124 Member Posts: 134
    MY08 CTS Owners,

What do you like about the CTS and don't like about it? I have test driven a non-DI version with AWD and the standard (FE1) suspension. If I order one, it will be a MY09 with the DI engine, AWD and FE2 suspension. I am wondering how the reliability and quality with be over time. I know that it difficult to project 2-5 years from now but perhaps the there is usually some indication based on the 1st year of ownership. Also, do you find the CTS, with the DI engine, to have enough power?

Regards,
    NHman
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    My wife has a 07 STS with the same engine you drove. IT also is AWD and I find it has plenty of power and see no need for the DI engine. If I had that engine I would be lead footing it all the time until I got in trouble (tickets) and then would revert back to babying it in order to stay on the right side of the law and also to fix the bad gas mileage I got from lead footing it. So once I get over the hotrodding on the more powerful engine than by taking it easy there is no more reason for having the bigger engine since I no longer take advantage of it. As far as being reliabile you need to remember the engine in one form or another has been around many years and the trans have been around now for a few years and yes mistakes are made and something happens but for the most part the CTS drive train is good.
  • briantucsonbriantucson Member Posts: 23
    I own an '08 CTS with RWD, FE2 suspension, and the DI engine. So far I've only driven 4000 miles since I picked it up in December.

Honestly, the base engine has enough scoot.

The only issue the cars's had so far was a wiring ground problem. What was good about the problem was that Caddy had a service advisory out for this issue. That means that they were monitoring their production and made a change to their process.

The car is a hoot to drive, and I'm in love with the interior. I've no rattles or squeaks, and FE2 suspension really holds the road nicely. I only wish it cleaned itself. I didn't care for the sunshade cover so I didn't order it. The nav screen looks great, but I have doubts about it's usefullness (and it's a little bit redundant with Onstar turn-by-turn directions) so I didn't order it either.

For long term reliability, Caddy makes a good product. Checkout any of the various 'consumer' reports and you'll see that it's so. I'm confident enough with this car that I'm not looking in the 2~5 year period. I'm looking at the 10-12 year period, and the vehicle is inspiring me to think it'll be there.

Having said that I do have to admit that I expect some of the fancy electronics (hard drive, for example) will likely have to be replaced in that 10 year period.

-Brian
    It seems the V has been pushed back, too.

"Effective 4/21/2008, the following changes will be made to the Vehicle Order Guide:

* All sections-Ordering for CTS-V model 6DN69 has been delayed until September, 2008. Temporarily deleted all reference to CTS-V from the Order Guide."