Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Cadillac CTS

Comments

• rcantwellrcantwell Member Posts: 77
    Just got my Hemmings Muscle Machines today and in it they say that a stock 09 V with stock tires ran the Nuremburg course in 7:59minutes. This is the first production car to run the course in less than 8 minutes. Up till now only race and heavily modified cars have been able to do it in under 8 minute. They were speculating that the Caddy is putting out somewhere around 550 horsepower. While that is to much car for me on a daily basis , it would be nice to be able to rent one like the old Hertz Shelbys and get the feel of it just once.
  • james104james104 Member Posts: 21
    Sunroofs - love 'em or hate 'em, it is of course a personal decision. Just to throw my 2 cents in, I am usually indifferent about sunroofs. When my cars have them, I use them only occasionally. I admit I was really intrigued by the very large glass area on the '08 CTS even if the whole roof does not open. What was a deal breaker for me was the mesh, flimsy feeling (IMO) cover. I just don't like lots of light in the car sometimes as I am personally distracted by it (again, my own reality). I do not understand why there cannot be an opaque cover of some sort.

I figured by ordering my '09 CTS without the sunroof I was saving some $ and gaining some rear seat headroom. Eases the pain somewhat!
    Correction to my post. I re-read the article, and the 09 CTS-V is the first production SEDAN to do the Nuremberg course in under 8 minutes.
  • sls002sls002 Member Posts: 2,788
    For 2009 the seating package comes with the opener. The seating package comes with other packages, but does not require the higher end package but does require the luxury package. In 2008 the seating package was available without other packages I think. While I am not fond of sunroofs either, when the car is hot from sitting in the sun, opening the windows and sunroof will speedup getting the hot air out of the car. The sunroof in my SRX has a light cover too, but I don't notice any heat coming through, but it is heavily tinted. I have never talked to onstar for directions with my last vehicle. I plan to keep the basic onstar safe&sound (or whatever it is) plan.
    That makes sense, too bad it didn't happen in 08. Guess they couldn't get everything right the first year. The directions and connections plan from OnStar is great. Just call them give them the address and they download turn by turn directions to the car. On my CTS a asic map appears on the radio screen when approching a turn and they give audible directions well before each turn. I liked it so much that I upgraded the OnStar in my 07 Avalanche to the direction and connections plan also.Every time I have used it it has taken me right to my destination.
    I have friend who also has an 08 CTS with navigation. He couldn't figure out the nav system and just called OnStar for directions.
    I think that no matter how they package the options, someone will not be happy with the way it is done. Back in the 70's options were not packaged so one could get exactly what they wanted, but dealers would usually order what they thought would sell for the price. On the SRX the third seat comes with the utility package. This seems odd, as the utility package includes towing with heavy duty cooling (what I wanted). I would have perferred to do without the third row seating.

I have found the nav to work well, but did have to read the manual first, and then experiment with entering addresses. Generally the street name is entered without a direction (East, west...) and if the direction is needed a choice will be presented with a range of numbers. I really like having a map displayed on long trips so that I can see where I am. Much safer than trying to look at a paper map while driving. Also is very helpful going through big cities like Chicago.
  • bingomanbingoman Member Posts: 373
    I would agree with your comments about the navigation system. I also find it very useful, especially were I am forced to detour because of construction here in Los Angeles. It helps me avoid turning into dead end streets and no exit areas.

One thing I find a bit disconcerting is the voice directions. The verbs (action instructions) such as turn left at the end of the road are given in a very smooth voice but the nouns (street names) are the given in a rushed voice after a slight pause. They were obviously recorded separately, and possibly by a different announcer. Setting up a route is much easier than it was with my '03, and the screen is easier to read. I also like the fact that you can vary the intensity of the screen independent of the dash lighting.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    I agree on the packaging issue – and on the NAV vs. paper maps issue as well.

Caddy ( in particular ) seems to have changed what is included in their packages – and what other options are available ( only ) when purchased with certain packages more often than most. And I do not see any logic ( from the customer’s standpoint ) in many of the choices.

While I do understand some issues \ implications regarding options such as final drive ratio, the Corvette has long been available with an optional ‘performance’ final drive ratio – and for 2008 one is available again.

I see no rational explanation for requiring ( for example – on an STS, when I was looking seriously at buying ) that one select the highest & most expensive option package ( 1SG, on the STS – for something over $8,000, last I remember ) before one could also select the QAF \ Performance Handling package. There is simply no connection here – except a completely artificial one.

And – seriously - If I had been able to “cherry pick” exactly & only the options I wanted, and was willing to pay for, on an STS, I’d have almost certainly bought one. In order to configure one with what I wanted, there was $5,000 or more of stuff that I did ** NOT ** want.

I do see the advantage, from the standpoint of Dealerships ordering cars for stock, in bundling options together. ( The “Pattern Orders” further address this. )

My recollection of the initial intent when packages began to appear was basically: Order these 4 items & we’ll discount the “Package” – compared to the MSRP of the 4 items individually.

Now, I believe it is largely a marketing strategy designed to sell more expensive versions of the product, at larger margins. Since, in order for customers to buy what they really want, they typically must also purchase options they don’t really want, need or even care about. . .

The ‘un-bundling’ of the sunroof a while back for the STS gave me hope. That hope is now faded completely.

And if I drove regularly to unfamiliar areas ( like our Outside Sales People do ) and \ or at night, I would definitely have a NAV system in my vehicle. In my view - Paper maps are fine, if you have a co-pilot. And I find them useful in deciding what order to use when planning multi-destination routing. Otherwise, I think that a built-in or portable NAV system would pay for itself in time saved very quickly when under those conditions.
    - Ray
    Now convinced that GM \ Caddy will never change their paradigm regarding option packages . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    I believe you are right, option packages were supposed to be cheaper than individual options. Now they just lump them into packages and make us buy options we don't want and need to get the ones we want.
    In the good old days, I remember( 70's) that if the manufacturer had it on the shelf you could order it. I am a Mustang fanatic, own a clasic Mustang, and there are numerous documented cases where options that were meant for the T-Bird or other Ford cars found their way onto the Mustang. One case in particular is a Mustang that was ordered with the Landau bars on the rear quarters.
    There is an adjustable strap, with snap hooks on each end, in the spare tire well.

Does anyone know what the strap is intended for? I have not been able to find any reference to it on the placards in the trunk, or in the owners manual. Is it a towing strap? is it to strap something down? What is it for, and how is it intended to be used? I sure would like to know.
    I think, but am really guessing, that the QAF\performance_handling_package is designed for the 1SG STS, which is seriously upgraded from the base STS. If you wanted to put it on the base STS, it would probably cost a few thousand extra to upgrade the base STS before you could get QAF installed.

I think when the STS was first put into production, they may have wanted to limit the number of Performance editions so that the STS fuel consumption was mainly based on the 2.73:1 axle ratio. Now that the six speed transmission is standard with a 3.42:1 axle on all models you have a valid point about the performance options being available without a lot of luxury stuff. However, I would not assume that they should be cheap.

Cadillac's options packages are not all that much different from what BMW does with packaging of options. Cadillac may have gone too far in packaging everything. I think that packages should save the customer some money, but if the options are not available unbundled, then you really are not saving money.
    Perhaps you are supposed to strap down the flat tire that I assume will not fit into the spare tire well?
    If so, were do you put the flat tire, and what do you hook the strap to? :confuse:
  • cosmo13cosmo13 Member Posts: 31
    I purchased some Velcro Industrial Strength. I removed the clip from my garage door opener, used the Velcro and placed the opener under my steering column.
    The opener is firmly affixed and out the way.
    Cosmo
    Maybe the strap was intended for an SRX and someone absentmindedly put it into your CTS. My manual (SRX) shows that the flat tire should be strapped down.
    I don't think it was included by mistake, as there is a pocket for it in the rigid foam at the bottom of the tire well.

I am beginning to think it was meant to be used to snug the tire to the back edge of the trunk using two "D" rings attached to either side of the lip of the trunk. It would have been nice if the manual showed this use. The manual also lacks any description of how the cargo net was intended to be used.
  • cadillacmanazcadillacmanaz Member Posts: 11
    In Adendum to my original post where I talked about the value of a hybrid vs. non- hybrid and cost savings:

First I am speaking from reading several articles such as :
    http://www.milliondollarjourney.com/hybrid-vs-gasoline-vehicle-comparison-are-hy- brids-worth-it.htm

If you look at the price of a hybrid vehicle vs. its non hybrid counterpart it will take you more than the time that you will probably own it to actually reap any actual cost savings. The 6 years I refered to was the low end of the spectrum with the Honda civic.
    would your computations change if the price of crude doubles each year for the next 6 years?
    My owners manual shows that the D rings in back should be used and the strap is passed through the wheel spokes to keep it from flying about the cabin in the event of an accident. For the SRX there are two ways, depending on whether the third seat is stowed or not.

Using the cargo net should be easy to sort out. I did not get one and some sort of net would be useful.
    Thanks for the info.

As to the cargo net, in the '03 it was a single panel that stretched across the trunk and was anchored at the side top and on the floor, in a vertical position to divide the front from the back. In the '08 it is a "V" shaped pocket anchored at the side top and at the floor just in front of the trunk sill in a sloping position. It appears to be intended to hold things in the pocket rather than to divide the trunk. The change in operation was a bit confusing until I came to understand the lack of a hold down under the side hooking points.
  • m4d_cowm4d_cow Member Posts: 1,491
    Its not as popular as expected. There was this huge hype about it when it came out 1st, but its been collecting dust ever since. CTS on the other hand had been quite popular. Also, its easy to find a reasonably equipped CTS while STS usually come almost fully loaded at least. IMO I believe pricing is the one thing that doomed the STS. Its just too expensive. I mean come on, its a cadillac, but GM wants to push the price waayyy too close to BMW and Audi territory. Wait a sec, I think Audi's A6 is even cheaper than a similarly spec'd STS.
    That said its an incredible deal when youre looking for a used one. A used STS v6 cost almost the same as the equivalent CTS. $25k for a certified 06 STS, about the same as 06 CTS, which will you choose? Duh...
    I think the new (2008) CTS has a nicer interior than the STS for the money. The first generation CTS interior was a bit too much plastic and the V6 STS was a nicer car for a few thousand more depending on options. A loaded CTS was over $40,000 in 2006. Now the loaded CTS runs a bit more.

A used STS may be a good deal if you can find one at the price that you think it is worth. There are a lot of them on the market.
  • concrndconsumrconcrndconsumr Member Posts: 1
    My name is Rob and I am new to this site. I post today because of my concern about the 2008 CTS. I absolutely love the design of the car, inside and out – there is no question that the 2008 Cadillac CTS is an award deserving car. BUT, as a driver of Japanese cars my whole driving career, I am having cold feet when it comes to purchasing an American car. Due to the many miles that I drive per year, I will have to purchase the car. Its story like this one (follow the link), that concerns me:

http://www.autospies.com/news/My-Cadillac-Story-Disaster-32036/

This is a 2007 CTS, you would think after four years of production they would get the kinks out of the car. I ask anyone who currently owns a 08 CTS, if they have had any initial problems that may inhibit the vehicle down the road. Also, has anyone actually used the Bluetooth on the car yet?
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    You can find these kinds of stories about any car. I remember one of the Car mags testing a top of the line Lexus and a lot of the time they parked it only to come back and all the windows and sun roof wide open. Got wet a number of times. Had it in the dealers like 3 times and they still couldn't fix it. At press time it still was a problem. Go over to the Toyota Camry site and listen to them cry about the 07-08 Camrys with the same hesitation problem that the government wants to do a recall for on the Tundra as it has killed some people. Or the big Toyota truck that came out a few years back and the engines were blowing up right and left. This could be a never ending back and forth posts on any cars. As a retired GM employee the cars of old could be a problem but even then, once you got the bugs out of them during warranty they ran forever and didn't rust out like foregn cars of old. It can be a gamble buying anything new but sitting back and day dreaming isn't fun either.
    I'm on my second CTS, an '08. The first an '03 had its little glitches. None worth worrying about and all quickly fixed by the dealer. This one only has 1600 miles on it, but the only problem I had was a sticky temperature switch in the AC console.

Every manufacturer has its own problems. Toyota had an engine sludge problem and Mercedes had quality complaints. BMW service prices are outrageous.

I have been buying GM for fifty years (except for one Mustang II) and have never had a major problem. Maybe it is luck, maybe the way I drive and maintain my vehicles, but I think in the vast majority of cases it is simply good manufacturing.

It is really not in the interest of any producer to put trash on the market, and I think American engineering is still about the best. But one has to recognize that the engineering goes into cars for the mass market and not specialty niches.

Assembly is a different problem. Individuals do a job over and over and sometimes they make a mistake or become careless. I've had a rear universal joint with a missing bolt, and a disconnected door lock, but they were quickly fixed.

Over all I am a satisfied purchaser of GM products,and I've had samples from almost all of the car divisions. :)
  • tribmwtribmw Member Posts: 3
    After 10+ years of driving Lexus/BMW's, I have decided that my next car will be a CTS. I would appreciate input on the following:

1. What are the benefits of the DI engine? I am told 3% better fuel economy. For me the added HP is not important.

2. We live in Southern Ohio- maybe 3-4 snows per year. Is AWD worthwhile?

3. Any suggestions on how the different color combinations look:
    Black/Ebony
    Black/Cashmere
    Thunder Gray/Ebony

4. Should I find an '08 that fits my needs or order/wait for an '09?

Thanks for any input you provide.
    2. This is a question only you can answer. Can you get along without it till they plow the roads? I love my STS AWD as it even handles better but there is I'm sure a impact on fuel mileage but I bet it isn't much. I love being able to power away from a light on a snow covered street leaving even the big 4 X 4 trucks surprised.
    3. To me the black on black would be the best, but also the hottest too. Nothing beats a clean shiny black car. But again only you can decide.
    1. Again only you can decide. My STS has the unDI engine and being a heavier car than the CTS is still powerful enough and I come from the supercar days and owned a Ford 406 tri-power, Boss Mustang etc. I would get the DI if I ordered but wouldn't let it bother me if I could find a 08 I liked for a good price if there is such a thing.
  • cafpafcafpaf Member Posts: 65
    I am new to this forum. I just purchased a new 2008 CTS after trading a 2007 Toyota Avalon that only started when it wanted to do so. I have a few questions that may have already been covered in prior posts, but I am unable to find them if they indeed were covered.

First, does anyone know if the parts and pieces can be secured to install the Homelind transmitter. I have to believe that all is required in the transmitter, the buttons, and the cover plate. Once it is hooked up to a 12v power source and a ground it should be good to go. In any case, I would like to do so.

Second, I live in PA but the dealer obtained my CTS from WV. As a result the front license plate mounting frame was already installed and rivited to the front bumper. I would like to have it removed. Years ago Honda had painted plugs for just such a purpose. Does anyone know is such plugs exist or will the bumper have to be repaired or replaced.

Third, I have a slight vibration in sunroof. Has anyone had any experience with this issue and more importantly, how was it resolved.

Thanks for you time and patience with me as a new poster.
    Although I had to act quickly, I still did my research before buying the new CTS which I love. Car & Driver did a comparison of the both engines and stated: "For 90% of daily driving the two sedans behave like fraternal twins." They are exactly the same from 0 to 30 mph and to 60 mph the standard engine is .4 seconds slower. At the quarter mile the standard engine was .3 seconds and 3 mph slower. As far as colors go, obvioulsy that is a personal choice. I chose Black/Ebony because I did not wan another light color interior. Lastly, here in Western PA I would not even think about a car without either front wheel or all wheel drive. If you only need it once, it is worth it in my opinion.
    My 08 has the non DI engine, and it has plenty of power for me. Noproblem pasing or with highway acceleration. Currently getting around 27 28 mpg if I keep my foot out of it onthe highway.
    AWD? don't know here in southern Oklahoma there isn't much need for it.
    Color? Mine is goldmist with cashmere interior and I love it. Really dusty around here so a dark color wasn't for me. The Thundr Gray with ebony would appeal to me though.
    Caddy was running so great interest rates on the o8, don't know if those have expired yet or not. All depends if you want the best new options, or can live with the 08 options.
  • 150mphclub150mphclub Member Posts: 316
    2.5% price increase from 08 to 09 and no incentives (yet) for the 09. If you can find an 08 you like, be as coy as you can be with the dealer, but buy it.

As far as the engine is concerned, you will need timing lights or a stopwatch to tell the difference in performance. Fuel economy--is $1000 price differential worth a 3% (less than 1 mpg) differential?
    This topic is slowly morphing into a discussion (comparison) of both model years. Any way to change the topic title to 2008/2009 Cadillac CTS?
    I just drove identically equipped CTS, except for the engine. (automatic, pdw, pdr) The one with DI might have been quicker side by side, but I could not tell the difference on my drives, which were about ten miles each.

For 3 to 4 snows a year, I think traction control is sufficient. In my younger years I lived in PA and owned several Chrysler 300 letter series (300 to 400 hp) with traction control. I never had a problem in the snow.
    From what I have read the DI engine is noisy, mainly at high power. At cruise the engine is quiet. This may be worth checking on test drives.
    Here are a few comments from Car & Driver in an article dated April 2008 written by John Philips comparing the base V-6 and the DI engine.

"Around town, the base V-6 emits a charming growl right to is 7000-rpm redline. At full whack, it is 2dBA noisier than the DI. On the other hand, it's quieter at idle and at a 70mph cruise. Both engines offer smooth throttle tip-in and excellent idle quality." Speaking of both engines he goes on to say, "...in terms of engineering, value, and dynamic charm---(they) likely represent the finest effort in Cadillac's 106 year history." I hope that helps. Also for what it is worth, my new CST with the standard V-6 is a quiet as a tomb.
    I ordered a DI without these two options, but my dealer can get one quicker with these 2 additional options. I posted prior that I did not like the "cheesecloth" sunroof cover. Thinking some more about it, I might be able to live with it.

Survey: I usually keep a car for about 7 years. Do you think resale would be any better (or worse) with or without these 2 additional options?

Thanks for your opinions.
    Went to NADA bluebook and a 2002 STS (no CTS back then) they allowed $500 each for the nav. and roof. If I was to guess I figured they wouldn't be worth any extra but was really wrong. Sounds like a good investment to me a useful. I have both in the wifes STS and I'm surprised just how much we use them The Nav I find I just love when on a trip somewhere else. We just drive around looking at the sights not worrying where we are or which way we went. When we decide on its time to go back to the motel or to eat we punch in what kind of food we want, it takes us there and after eating tell us to take us back to the motel without an arguement on we're lost and that man thiing about having to ask for directions. :shades:
    Thanks for the reply and doing the homework dmathews3, I did not think of doing that. Saving family arguments is worth it alone!
    With the Nav unit to get full use there is a slight learning curve sometimes but it is easy to use. I have found for example I had to go down by Detroit for a DR. to look at my hearing and he was on West Twelve Mile Road in Southfield. It took a while to find it on the Nav. as the Dr. letter had Twelve Mile different ways in 2 parts of the letter. 12 Mile and as Twelve Mile. Then there was W for West and of course West. When it was over and done West Twelve Mile was W `12 Mile. But we find the hardest thing is believing it sometimes after using it around home. It will get you where you want to go, but not always the way you are used to going. I know the shortcuts but it don't. You must learn to trust it.
    Yes, I understand about different street spellings as I use google maps on my phone to do the same thing. Some additional questions if you would be so kind to answer:

1. Can a route be programmed into the unit while driving, or does the vehicle have to be in park, or stopped?
    2. Does the screen always rise out of the dash when starting the car, or can it be programmed to stay down until called for?
    3. How is the database for the POI and streets updated? Can you download from Cadillac and enter via a USB, or do you have to buy new DVD's, or via OnStar, or?

Thanks! :confuse:
    1. No, GM has it setup so only limited functions work while the car is moving faster than about 2mph to stop you from playing with it while driving and having your eyes off the road. Don't know about the CTS but someone has made a plug in device that will over ride the safety GM has built into the STS.
    2. Don't know I have a STS
    3. You must buy the DVD's but GM gives you the first 3 years worth for free. I find that things don't really change that much except for new sub divisions and maybe new malls. A road always stays the same and the same McDonalds doesn't move either :-)
    The screen only rises if it was up when the ignition was last turned off.

I was told a navigation upgrade could be downloaded from OnStar, but I believe that was ended when GM discontinued the three year free navigation upgrade earlier this year.
    Bought it last week. 2009, 1SA, radiant silver/ebony leather, automatic, PDW, PDR.
    Ordered it? or took deliver?

If ordered, when do you expect delivery?

In any case, congratulations and use it well. :)
    Programmed it and drove it home.
  • badhugobadhugo Member Posts: 10
    That's exactly what I'm thinking of. None of my business question. How much did you pay for it?
    Thanks.
    $40,500
    DAM, that's just a few hundred over invoice if you believe Edmunds.
    That is why I snapped it up. I could not foresee a better deal, unless Cadillac starts throwing rebates/incentives around. If they do--my loss. However, I still got exactly what I was looking for.
    Good stuff! Maybe I'll start looking around a bit.