Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Cadillac CTS

Comments

• fordyfordconvfordyfordconv Member Posts: 4
    What you are hearing may not be wind noise! It could be a harmonic vibration like I have on my new 08 CTS (which can be felt in the gearshift knob) .... which the dealer is still trying to determine where it's coming from! So far, they have balanced the drive shaft & installed a new differential .... now they have a Engr Tech coming to look at it and they are going to perform a Electronic Vibration Test. It has 300 miles on it and I told them I don't want a new car that's been disassemblembled and reassembled. Sure has dampened our spirits on our deam car ... car of the year!
  • traderjtraderj Member Posts: 39
    No, what I heard was wind noise, however, the car also had vibration which could be felt in the gear shift, and the brake pedal. But, I only noticed this when I was at a full stop. I have read so many reviews on this car, both customer and professional, and I had never seen any complain about this until a couple weeks ago. I honestly can't remember the publication, but there was a professional review where they drove both engines and made a comment about liking both engines, however, if you choose the DI, you should expect some vibration that is not present in the other engine. So, unfortunately for you, I don't think your dealer will be able to fix this. I think it is just a characteristic of the engine. You will drive yourself crazy trying to fix this, and the dealer will probably just make things worse by ripping things apart.
  • lucky4me2lucky4me2 Member Posts: 15
    It's funny that the vibration in the gear shift is now being mentioned. That is what actually killed my interest in the car when I drove it several months ago. Vibration is obviously OK in a manual trans but most people have learned to expect isolation from an automatic.
  • jgaffney1jgaffney1 Member Posts: 41
    Man o man...I hear (actually read this alot) I have an 08 AWD DI and I have to say that I have none of this stuff. Car rides like a dream, quiet, fast, etc...Makes you wonder what can possibly happen on the assembly line that would make mine turn out perfect and so many others have all these issues.

The ONLY thing I do feel, and hear is occasionally when I tun the wheel all the way to one side, sometimes I get some sort of a 4WD resistance noice briefly while in that turn. I almost expect that cause every 4 wd truck I ever had made the same noise while in 4 wd in a full over turn. Other than that....This car rules!
    Hope you work all that out.
  • arby1arby1 Member Posts: 83
    Usually the satisfied people don't write comments . Also there can always be trolls writing . But many owners with problems turn to the forum for answers .
    Ur right....I'm satisfied and not a troll:) I have this forum sent to my email cause I want to keep up on the car and the issues. I also have been able to help quite a few people with different things in the past too.

I'm not gloating that my car is perfect...I'm just thankfull and also wish those with problems the best in figuring them out. Your right..this is a great forum for all.
  • bingomanbingoman Member Posts: 373
    I think you are in the vast majority. I have several thousand miles on my '08 CTS and the only problem I've had was a sticky lock rod. While the dealer could not get to it immediately they gave me a brand new 2009 CTS loaner with 55 miles on it so I wouldn't have to sit in the waiting room while they fixed it.
  • rcantwellrcantwell Member Posts: 77
    All my problems came in the first 3 months and 1800 miles. Bad ABS sensor, leaking rear axle seal, and oh yeah, the complete replacement of the engine with a new one at 1800 miles. I will say, while knocking on wood, that since then the car has been trouble free and I don't have the wind and vibration issues that others are reporting.
  • richw5richw5 Member Posts: 152
    You are correct about the trolls. For the most part, I've stopped posting in Edmunds because of the trolls. This thread hasn't been to bad, but the "Standard of the World" thread thread is full of trolls who ruin it for those of us who enjoy car discussions.

For the record, my 03 CTS has been almost perfect. Other than a few sensor problems, which were fixed under warranty, the car has been exceptional.
    Recently the trunk struts failed and replacement costs were high due to a design change in the trunk hinges. I e-mailed Cadillac and they got the dealer to replace the struts and hinges, which were out of warranty, for half price. When I had the work done, the dealer picked up the other half of the cost, due to the fact that I was a "good" customer. I didn't buy the CTS from that dealer, but always take it there for oil changes and tire rotation. Now thats a great dealer and a great response from Cadillac. Thanks Cadillac.
  • mattgoofymattgoofy Member Posts: 6
    I have had my 08 CTS for about 1 month. I noted a vibration coming from the back behind the rear seats. The sound occurs when a low vibration occurs. It can be heard when the speaker is playing low sounds and it has even occurred with the radio off and an outside vibration like in a parking garage. I am going to take the car over to the dealer for them to look at. Has anyone else had something like this?
  • 150mphclub150mphclub Member Posts: 316
    See post 2593 and all the responses to it.
  • fordyfordconvfordyfordconv Member Posts: 4
    All four CTS's that I have tested have this vibration at 50 mph. It shows up during "light" acceleration. It can also be heard. It can also be felt in the gear shift knob. It goes away when you coast. It also goes away when you accelerate "heavy" through the 45 to 55 range. It's in my new 08. It was in a new rental in Florida. And it was in another new 08 and in new 09 I tested. Don't know what the long term effect will be, just hope it occurs during the five year or 100,000 mile warrenty window. I believe Cadillac has a problem they haven't acknowledged yet.
  • msdee41msdee41 Member Posts: 2
    I had my foot on the brake of my 2008 AWD Cts and was almost to a complete stop when I was rear ended by a van. My car skidded for 3 or 4 feet and then my foot went down to the floor and the car was still moving and in fact seemed to propel forward and started gaining speed. The brakes were not functioning and the car was accelerating. I could not stop the car and went almost a mile before the car finally came to a stop. Has anyone else had anything like this happen in a 2008 CTS? Luckily I was not hurt and I did not hit anyone else, but this was the most frightening experience I have ever had.
    sounds like your saying you hit the brake so hard it blew a hose or master cylinder and went to the floor.....if that happened thats why you kept going. As far as accelerating I've been complaining that the 2008 AWD brake pedal is TOO CLOSE to the gas pedal. There ARE TIMES that my foot CLIPS the GAS pedal while stepping on the BRAKE. I've owned 5 CTS's......Only the 2008 AWD moved the brake pedal too close to the gas pedal. Just by a hair...but it took me a year to retrain my foot.

I can see how you probably hit the gas while panic stopping on the brake. :
  • knotemknotem Member Posts: 62
    6 weeks ago I bought 2008 2WD CTS with all options under the employee Purchase Plan from a Dealer 50 miles away from home The dealer gave me a written DUE BILL to “Install Donut Spare Tire” which was part of the deal.
    It took the dealer 3 weeks to get the spare tire, and then when I went home and inspect the spare, I found out that he didn’t put the jack assembly under it. When I called him, he said that the spare package was going to cost $600 which he didn’t anticipate, so he had spare rim and he put the donut on the rim. Then he promised to ship me a 08 CTS jack assembly in a day or two; it took him 3 more weeks to FedEx the jack assembly to my home.
    Now 6 weeks since I bought the car I have the complete spare package. When I inspected the jack assembly I found that the crowbar bracket is smaller than the log nut and the jack assembly doesn’t belong to 08 CTS. When I called the sales manager who’s handling my account he told me to call his manager tomorrow.
    Now since I have doubt about that dealer integrity, I’m not even sure that the spare tire is going to fit my 08 CTS when I really need it.
    I smell trouble and I think the dealer is backing off from the written deal. I bought a new car and I was expecting a new spare tire assembly for 08 CTS without playing game.

My question is:

Does GM have the power over the dealer to order him to honor his deal?

Thanks for the insight.
    I would contact Cadillac district and ask for their help. I don't know if they can force him to comply, but I do know of two dealers, one Cadillac and one Ford, who lost their franchise because they did not adequately service their customers. So unless he is going out of business that could get him to cooperate with you.

You could also take the dealer to small claims court to force compliance with the contract.
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    your dealer is blowing smoke on teh cost of the spare tire package..the msrp is $250 and his cost is $208.....option item ZAA.....sounds like he is trying to get over cheap on you..the donut comes on a rim installed...so what exactly did he order to take 3 weeks....I suspect he simply failed to order it..and has been delaying you ever since......challenge him with the pricing...you have a written contract on the compact spare tire

check right here on edmunds for the pricing:

ZAA Compact Spare Tire
    Includes temporary spare tire and jack assembly in place of inflator kit.
  • msdee41msdee41 Member Posts: 2
    I called the GM Customer Relations Department and they sent an inspector to the GM Dealer where my car is being repaired. I should get the report tomorrow, but I am sure my foot was on the brake and not on the gas pedal. I will let you know what the report says. The car had only 7700 miles on it. The car has been at the body shop since August 21 and is still not finished. They finally gave me a loaner this week. This was my first CTS and I loved it. I have owned 2 Cadillac's previously, an Eldorado and a Sedan Deville with no problems.
    The cost to the dealer has to be much greater than the $208 listed as dealer cost with the original order. It has to include the cost of the compressor unit, which would have been recovered by GM when replaced by the spare tire, and the cost of shipping and stocking as a replacement part.

The true cost to the dealer is probably closer to $400. However, whatever the cost to the dealer, he is still obligated to supply the complete spare tire kit if he agreed to supply it as part of the purchase deal. (Although he might ask for the return of the compressor kit.)
    I had my tires rotated by the local gas station at 7,000 miles . Today , when I started the car , I had a warning light tell me of low tire pressure , front right tire , at 23 lbs . However , upon inspection and air refill , it was the back right tire . I asked the gas station if he had recalibrated the sensors , and he said no . I lost my manual , so I can't look up the answer . Do I need to only have the dealer rotate the tires so that they can recalibrate the sensors ? Do the sensors recalibrate themselves , and I have a defective vehicle ?
    RTFM - to reset the tire pressure monitoring system after a tire rotation follow the instructions in the owners manual on page 5-73. :)

You will need a good tire pressure gauge and an air compressor. Or you could show the manual to the gas station mechanic. Good luck.

ed: I just realized you said you lost your manual. I believe you can view the manual on-line if you have signed up for your OnStar page. I would suggest you buy a new copy of the manual as it contains a lot of very useful and important information.
    bingoman, pao

Thanks for the help. I called the dealer's top manager, I was very angry expressing my willing to take further steps; he suggested that I go to my neighborhood Cadillac and have their Parts department to replace the wrong part or order a new one and charge the invoice to him. After 6 weeks of waiting I think the problem is solved.

When I came back home I found a letter from GM saying that my 2008 CTS may have a defected OnStar module suggesting to take the car to the dealer before October 31, 2009 to replace the module.
    I used OnStar many times including the hand free phone and everything was OK. I wonder if anybody else on this board received a similar letter from GM, or I have a unique problem and OnStar detected that problem.
    I just purchased an 09 CTS..the salesman mentioned that some 08s and early build 09s had a problem with onstar...so its not specific to your vehicle...I would go ahead and have a dealer replace the module.....it may be something more than your normal operation of onstar..could be crash detection, airbag deployment etc...
    I'll have them replace the OnStar Module when my car due for first oil changes or if any problem comes up before that; so far everything is ok. I didn’t even detect any wind noise or vibration at any speed.
  • nathessnathess Member Posts: 11
    CTS 2008 -
    I have owned the CTS for 8 months and during that time both my wife and I have noticed that the car doors have locked automatically. This has happened 5 times since we have owned the car. It has only happened after we have put the car into the garage, leave the car and closed the garage doors. When we return to the garage we have found the car locked.

Is it possible that there is a code interference between the garage door opener and the car door code?
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Check your owners manual. The wifes 07 STS has an option that allows it to auto lock I think about 4 sec. after the last door is locked. Maybe the CTS also has that option.
    I have had a similar experience. I believe what is happening is that I have accidentally pressed the lock button on the clicker while it is in my pocket. This has happened when I have leaned up against something with the side of my hip.

In a similar vein: it bothers me that there is no visual signal to show whether the front doors are locked.

When I exit the car I push the door lock button. The car beeps three times with a low beep. If I am in a noisy environment and cannot hear the beeps, or I am distracted, I cannot be sure the doors are locked. I cannot test the door as I have the fob in my pocket and that will automatically unlock the door when I try the handle.

I love the car, but I think the security experts at Cadillac have made a lot of goofs.
    I awoke today to find all of my local Cadillac dealers advertising the 1SA '09 CTS at bigger discounts than last months employee pricing. My current GMAC lease ends in a couple of weeks. First, GMS pricing is still available on this model. Then there is $4000- for current lessees, then another $2686 for paying cash. Then there is the GMcard rebates. The car I looked at today had an MSRP of $36885- and after all discounts was $23,775-. I would have bought today, but the car I wanted had a small paint ship on the rear bumper, so it must be repainted. I will pick it up Wed.
    I remember when I leased an '04 CTS I thought I had a good deal when I worked the dealer to a cap cost of $28,000. Now, I can get a 5 year newer model for over $4,000 less. Too good to turn down. I had originally only considered the 1SB, but the 1SA had plenty of power and was much smoother than the DI engine. Non of the vibration that I had previously felt on the 1SB.
    The car can be programmed to lock automatically (or not). It can also be programmed to flash lights or beep or both when the car locks.

I programmed mine to lock automatically when I put it in gear, unlock when I shut it off, remain unlocked when I park (for my garage), and flash lights & beep when I press the lock button.
    I really like my 09 CTS, but I hate that Cadillac has sucked most the resale value out of it just a few months after I bought. They may have helped their sales today, but they have pushed my next purchase out 3 extra years by devaluing my current CTS so much.
    Thanks for the answer .
    my understanding is the new discounts are only on base model 1SA w/o any premium packages or certain other options.....they are basically bare bone models is my understanding...Im not one to turn over a car often.....my 09 CTS will be good for 7-8 years.....
    I have been bragging that my 08 CTS has been trouble free since the nightmares it caused last January and Feb. Many of you remember the engine replacement and other issues, and if not and you care to, you can read my early posts. Well, got in the car to come home from church today and the check engine light stayed on. Since all the troubles earlier, I look at it every time I start the engine.
    Took the car to Dallas yesterday, and no problems and no light. Had OnStar run a check on it and they say it is safe to drive, and that it shows to be some type of engine control problem. I will go visit the dealership tomorrow, and they probably won't get it in to check it out till at least Tuesday. This trip to the dealers is gong to put me well over 30 days in the shop since I took delivery last October 31st. Getting much closer to being able to pull the lemon law on them.
    My wife and I discussed it, and if this is another serious problem then we are probably going to get rid of the car. Just can't trust it, over thirty days in the shop in the first year is ridiclous. Only problem is that I have been cruising the internet looking at cars and can't really find another one that I like. Might go to a crossover, rented a new Ford Edge this summer for a week on vacation, and we were really pleased with it. Guess I had better wait and see what is wrong this time. Thanks for letting me vent. I'll let you know what turns up.
    I hope it turns out to be something simple like a bad sensor that needs to be replaced.

If you have to get rid of it why not take a new '09. You seem to like the car and you are no more likely to get another lemon than you are if you go to another make or style. Most of us have had pretty good experience with our CTS's.

In any case I wish you better luck with whatever you do.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,498
    ". . .like my 09 CTS, but I hate that Cadillac has sucked most the resale value out of it just a few months after I bought."

U.S. cars are such a joy that way. The CTS has held up pretty well until recently, but what's happening now is what happened to the Lincoln LS 6-8 years ago. The early adopters (this is the one time in my life I was one -- won't happen again) paid invoice plus a few percent. Those who waited a few years paid MSRP - $8-10K.

Resale value? Apparently we don't need no stinkin' resale value.

I now own a Honda (Acura, really, but what's the diff?).
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • aldwaldw Member Posts: 82
    Resale is too dependent on perception, if Cadillac's perception was better for the same cars the resale would be much higher, but in any case the cars are very good and don't deserve the bashing that some import humpers spew.
    a new one for thousands less than you could a year earlier, everyone who already owns one loses.

If you can't, there's no problem.
    I bought mine today, will pick it up Tues or Wed. The deal is on the 1SA and you can add any stand alone options, such as sunroof, leather, etc. You just can't add any of the luxury packages. If you don't need those luxury packages, as I did not in this case, it is the best deal I have ever seen. And, I am 59 years old and a car buff.
    Even after all of the discounts GMS pricing and rebates and bonus cash and leasee loyalty and GM card rewards, the dealer added wrong on the purchase order. They shorted themselves by $1000-. Being the honest person I am, and knowing they would catch it anyway when they put the numbers into their computer, I told them about it. The sales manger appologized, told me it was his fault, and said he would give me the extra $1000- off. In the end I paid 64% of MSRP for an '09. Unfortunately my stock investments are only worth about 64% of what they were a couple of months ago. Oh well, win some, lose some.
    Got it in the shop today. Service advisor called and told me a bunch of gobbly [non-permissible content removed] that I didn't really understand. In english the engine control computer malfunctioned at 0 rpm's and made the light come on. They say GM already has a technical bulletin out on it, they have to reprogram the engine control computer which they did and test drove and the car runs fine. They wanted to keep it overnight and start it in the morning when the engine is cold and see if it is ok. Trying to duplicate the consition when it happened. If it goes ok, should get the car back tomorrow. Offered me a rental for the night, but I have other cars, and it is too much of a hassle going to Enterprise for one night. If it were to turn to a few days I would take the rental. More info when I get the car back
  • ajl1223ajl1223 Member Posts: 13
    I remember your issues......so far since February i have not had the car in the shop except for a tire rotation and oil change....... and like you I am always checking for the check engine light.
    I also remember your troubles, glad to hear the car has been doing well.
    Got my CTS back this afternoon. The explanation from the service advisor was that there was nothing wrong with the car and the check engine light should not have ever come on. The technical service bulletin from GM was that the parameters on the ECM were set too tight from the factory and might trigger the light, usually on startup. GM's fix was to reprogram the ECM, with a new slightly wider set of parameters and this should take care of the problem in the future.
    Tech who installed the new engine worked on it this time, and did a 30 mile test drive this morning with no problems. I will keep my fingers crossed. I will also continue to check for that engine light every time I drive it, which is not really that often since it is really my wife's car.
    "Tech who installed the new engine worked on it this time, and did a 30 mile test drive. . ."

That's a good thing.

I was hoping, back when you were having the engine issues, that the dealership and mechanic would take ownership. So far, looks like they have.

I'm driving an Asian appliance these days. Guess what? No issues. Not much fun, either. I'd have much preferred a 3-series BMW or an A3, but for a variety of reasons, here I am.

I don't know what your expectations were, but I was willing to cut Lincoln quite a bit of slack with my last car. Not enough, as it turned out.
    My expectations after all th engine trouble, bad grease seal and bad abs sensor which the part took 9 days to get wren't very much
    Actually since the engine swap the car has exceeded my especttions. I figured it would be constantly in the shop from some problem or othr related to the engine being changed and so far this hasn't happened. This minor blurp with the programming on the ECM wasn't a big deal and I expect a few things like that from time to time. However i don't expect to have the egine changed at 1800 miles. It still has 3 years and about 44,000 miles of bumper to bumper warranty left, so we will see. If nothing major happens we will keep it, if something drastic happens again, it will be gone as soon as possible. Problem is I just don't know what we would buy. Only other car I have driven that I like is the Ford Edge that I had for over a week when on vacation this summer. It was brand new, less than 200 miles when I rented it and I put over 1200 miles on it and really enjoyed the way it performed. Just don't know if I would want one for the long term or not. Maybe it will never come to that.
  • kplacerkplacer Member Posts: 97
    If you buy the Edge be prepared to be having rear brake work done every year. The rear brakes seem to be designed wrong and wear out inordinately quickly.
  • james104james104 Member Posts: 21
    Ever since I updated the software on both my iPhone (non-3G) and iPod nano (per Apple updates) my iPhone is not recognized by the audio system when I plug it in (although my nano is still recognized). With my nano; however, it does not turn off when I turn the car off and it used to turn off.

With the Bluetooth, I have to answer the phone manually from the phone, or I cannot receive a call. Once I answer from the phone, the sound does come over the car speakers. Making calls from the Bluetooth works fine.

Anyone else experience this? Is there a flash update for the car from GM? My dealer has no clue.
  • st4422st4422 Member Posts: 7
    I believe that Apple broke the iPhone/CTS interface with version 2.1 of the iPhone software. There have been many reports on Apple and other car forums. Apparently, we have to wait for Apple to fix the problem.
  • james104james104 Member Posts: 21
    Thanks for the reply sts4422. I just had a look see over at the Apple site. I guess I will have to wait for Apple to fix. Sigh!
    Hope you are trouble free from now on.

I have 6,000 miles on my 09. Zero problems so far. My only disappointment was the 26.3 mpg I got on my recent road trip from Indy to Santa Fe & back. I know that meets the EPA highway estimate, but EVERY car I have ever owned has beaten the EPA highway estimate by 10 to 20 percent. I was hoping the CTS would too.
    Does anyone who has an 08 CTS with beige/tan?? interior get the tan color rubbed off the door jamb due to getting in and out of the car??

LOL...I'm 6 foot 225 lbs fairly lean :) and I can not for the life of me get in or out of the car without getting in contact with the door rubber seal and the tan interior strip that is right next to it.

I have rubbed off all the tan color exposing the black plastic underneath and with 1 year and 12,000 miles the inside is starting to look like a used car with this rub mark. Normal wear and tear???

PS: I tried to move my seat up forcing me to stay away from the trim guard..... that only aggravated and twisted my knee trying to squeeze in...Anyway...anyone rubbing off their interior?
    I noticed that when driving on NJ asphalt roads I have no wind noise. But recently I wound up on a concrete roadway in NY and it was definitly a different ride.

There was like a constant HUM because of the concrete roadway. I immeadiatly thought "thank god I dont live in Florida where 99% of the roads are concrete.
    I dont know if thats the noise you guys hear....but I never heard any annoying noise in my 08 CTS until I drove on a solid concrete roadway for about 10 miles. Then I heard something.