Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Cadillac CTS

Comments

• thebugthebug Member Posts: 294
    I took a look back, and it's the GS300, not the IS350 that doesn't have a standard sunroof. That could very well be a typo because it does happen on this site. That was one of the turnoffs for me when looking at the Lexus model brand two or so years ago.

thebug...
  • louisweilouiswei Member Posts: 3,715
    About the Lexus that doesn't have moonroof as standard equipment...

It's the IS with X-package. If one opts X-package for his/her IS (both the 350 and 250) then the moonroof does not come standard with the car. However, I think it still is a stand-alone option and good luck to find an IS without one. Of course, one can still custom-build one without it.

Also, GS300 is no longer in production, Lexus has replaced it with GS350 for 07' MY.

There goes my Lexus lecture and now return to your CTS regular programs...
  • readerreaderreaderreader Member Posts: 253
    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,704
    Seems like US cars are much easier to order as wanted. I had to show the Lexus salesman my '95 ES300 w/o a sunroof - he had never seen one. Have you, or anyone else, actually seen a G35 w/o a sunroof? They're listed as the no-option case, but to get any option you need to get a sunroof, a built in $1000 markup, a ripoff in my opinion. That's one reason I'm thinking CTS this time around.
    I'm not sure, but I just hope that Cadillac continues to offer this as an option and not make it a standard item. I just don't like sunroofs.

thebug...

Pretty huge...
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    Thanx Dan.....I know it's not everyones cup of tea but I love this car to death. :)

Rocky
    ggesq,

appreciate the congrats and will pass them along to my family that builds parts for them. The ones we all should be giving thank-you's to is Wagoner and Lutz and we need to tell them to keep the mommentum going. I know I've been a strong backer of this car and believed in GM. I just knew in my heart they would get this car right !!!!! :blush:

Rocky
    Wonder what the horsepower numbers are when you put premium in this car ? ;) 310+ ??????

Rocky
    Also kudos to the iPod integration and standard Bose sound. No mention if is has DVD-A/DTS 5.1 (96/24) media capability like the STS. If not, this most be a CenterPoint system which like Logic7 "simulates" surround sound from stereo sources.

chavis10,

It will be the same Bose 5.1 system employed in the Escalade which plays DVD-Audio discs in real 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround Sound. The system also like Logic-7 has dolby Pro-Logic II which mimics surround sound like
    Logic- 7 ;) I expect the quality of the sound to be at least as good if not better (since it's Bose) as the ELS in the TL, but with a bit more power. ;)

Rocky
    Here is how it works:

Look at the top of the dash. Very elegant.
    tlong,

you aren't alone. If the next Grand Prix now offically known as the G8 can have some of the features and be more sport than lux we will have another winner from GM. I'm very impressed with the 08' Malibu, current Aura, and of course all the NEW CUV's, Trucks, SUV's from GM. We just need to keep the mommentum going. :)

Rocky
    thebug,

I don't know if I want one next fall or should I wait and just get me a 600 horsepower Cadillac CTS-V ????? It's like this lose my license and wear a pernament smile all the time or get a CTS and smile every time I get in :blush:

Choices..... :D

I guess I could do a 1 year lease or buy ? ;)

Rocky
    Bluetooth will be available I heard by the late fall of 2007' but wouldn't be available for the intial run. Yes that annoys me also.

Rocky
    I have to have one this year. I'm waiting until Nov, hoping that is long enough for all the options to become available. Just can't wait any longer then that. I hope I can hold out.

BTW: GM has a free site on cable (GM Showroom) with all it's autos and features in little (3 min) detailed commercials. The 08's aren't on yet but they should be soon.

thebug...
    readerreader,

You are one of the best things that has ever happened to edmunds.com pal. :) You make my visits to this forum and other forums so enjoyable because of the amount of cool pics you find. Your pictures in many cases amplify your words. :shades:

Keep up the great work and yes I'll enjoy.....

Rocky

P.S. Also thanx for the link !!! ;)
    Merc,

I'm not trying to be a "[non-permissible content removed]" but seriously I'm not convinced you honestly mean this: Yes of course, I love cars in general so singling out American cars wouldn't be true to that at all. :surprise:

Regardless, we all know you like Mercedes as much as Fintail, and yes you own a very nice used CLK Benz Convertible. I personally like many others would rather own a new CTS, for what you probably paid for your Mercedes. I of course am not knocking your car because I'd love to have it sit in my garage because it's a slick ride. :shades:

I'm just saying I'm *caughing-B.S.* :P on you liking american cars like you claim based on your posting history. If I'm wrong then you've kept those "secrets" well hidden. :D

Take Care,

Rocky
    You must be a very WEALTHY BUG to be buying 2 cars a year. :surprise:

You are a lucky bug to be able to afford that sport :P

I'm lucky I don't have to do much negotiating since I get a set price on my GM Employee discount which puts me way under invoice (GMS)

I can on certain models get "more off" if the dealer really wants to move a model or at least get a "throw in" like on a truck a spray in bedliner or in this case I might go after a "extended bumper to bumper warranty" at cost that can be transferred to the next customer. I will try to get something extra since I have little to haggle with. ;)

Rocky
    138 mph isn't really all that fast louiswei. Hell I did more than that cruising in my 92' FWD Bonneville SSEi Supercharge for about 20-30 miles on the not so smooth I-96 in Western Michigan from Fennville to Wyoming Mi. Maxed out my former Bonneville would do in the 140's but of course it had some aftermarket work done to it by the previous owner which obviously included reprogramming the govoner. The fastest I've ever been on road was 167 mph in a 93' Corvette with my buddy eric driving. The fastest I've ever driven for a short stretch was the day I bought my former 05' Acura TL and hit 147 mph at night before I ran out of straight road and the big S-curve near my former house came up. My wife driving behind me was about 1-2 miles behind me when I topped out and she said a police officer went after me but then gave up. I told her I never seen him. ;) Oh well I made it home before he had time to react.

My point is on basically any relatively straight highway with Z-rated rubber and a sports car or sedan, high speed driving in triple digits could be done relatively safe if we demanded a bit more in drivers education. Maybe someday we will have a autobahn in this country. I watched a special program the other night on the history channel on "Hitlers Highway" which made me want a 600 horsepower CTS-V that much more !!!!! ;)

Back to the 2008' Cadillac CTS ;)

Rocky
    louiswei,

We all agree the 3.5L V-6 is a great engine. I respect it. I don't know what you are trying to prove ???? Are you trying to prove that the 3.5L V-6 is superior to the 3.6 "High Feature" ?????? :confuse:

Rocky
    plekto,

I bet your mother likes the 100,000 mile warranty also ? :blush:

Rocky
    Why not ???? I seriously doubt the new TL, will be in the same league as the current CTS. I look for the next TL, to have a Infiniti G35 like interior since price is such a huge factor and like many have stated the FWD based SH-AWD isn't going to be a saving grace either.

I'm not going to knock the next TL, because I do like their products but I wouldn't buy one again based on their customer service department being run ed by the [non-permissible content removed]. :surprise:

Rocky
    I do think GM, should offer the 19's as a option because I agree it looks better. ;)

Rocky
    mediapusher,

It's going to take time. The current interiors in the new CUV's, SUV's, Trucks, Lucerne, Aura, 08' Malibu, current GTO, DTS, are spot on in quality. It's going to take about 2-3 more years of reworking to get the whole GM line-up to par. ;)

Rocky
    Love it readerreader....That big sunroof is sharp :)

Rocky
    readerreader,

I wonder if it's power operated ?

Rocky
    thebug,

Why don't you get ya the sunroof, and sell the convertible and yes navigation systems are useful. :confuse: I'm not sure which brands you've used but Cadillac, Acura, Lexus, and even Infiniti have the best units on the market. You must be using BRAND-X navi units :P :D J/K

You are one of only a couple of people i know that don't like using navigation units. Obviously buying a couple cars per year money is not a object for you so that can't be it.

I don't get the I own a convertible but hate sunroofs arguement. You have me puzzled on that one pal. ;)

Rocky
  • ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    "Why not ???? I seriously doubt the new TL, will be in the same league as the current CTS."

Well, I for one did not expect Caddy to put such a nice interior (subjective) in the upcoming CTS. The current model's interior is a dog IMHO and compared to the current TL's interior is outclassed. I guess we'll have to wait and see. :P

"I look for the next TL, to have a Infiniti G35 like interior since price is such a huge factor "

:surprise: The new G is definately upgraded but it is still ugly and cheap IMHO of course. Again, the current TL's interior design is no way like the G so I doubt that.

"and like many have stated the FWD based SH-AWD isn't going to be a saving grace either."

I guess we'll have to wait and see right? For a FWD vehicle, the TL handles pretty good as it is right now. It's no 3er but it isn't a dog either.

"I'm not going to knock the next TL, because I do like their products but I wouldn't buy one again based on their customer service department being run ed by the [non-permissible content removed]."

If I remember correctly- you got rid of your TL BECAUSE of the crappy service you got right? Too bad. Acura needs to change that definately. I, of course, have not experienced bad service from Acura.

Looking forward to test driving the upcoming CTS ;)
    I seriously doubt the new TL, will be in the same league as the current CTS

I think it should be more like this: The 08' CTS' interior has finally caught up to the level of other sedans in this class such as the TL.

I look for the next TL, to have a Infiniti G35 like interior

That would be a "downgrade". I do not see Acura downgrade next TL's interior in any fashion. The worst that could happen is the level of refinement will stay the same which is about where the CTS is at right now. I fully expect to see next gen TL's interior to be right there with the IS in refinement but better in ergonomics.

FWD based SH-AWD isn't going to be a saving grace either

Who was the one yapping before the TL-S was introduced about how the Type-S will have SH-AWD, 300 HP and will kick all other ELLPS' rear...

Rocky, I've seen you in action around August just before Acura is about to introduce the 08' TL-S at AcuraZine. So don't tell me you have never done that. It is kind of funny to see how you praise the SH-AWD back then and now bashing it just because Cadillac produced a "winner".
  • bigtbigt Member Posts: 412
    How large can you go in terms of wheels over what is on a car. If it comes with 17" is it ok to go 19"?
  • 14871487 Member Posts: 2,407
    The CTS had to be good because the upcoming G8 is likely to be considerably cheaper and yet offer similar performance and size. Of course GM is famous for product overlap so this is nothing new but it will be interesting to see what the press has to say about the CTS when compared to the cheaper G8. Yes I know the G8 will have less features, but the press tends to overlook features and focus on price and performance.
    Totally agree with you here, 1487...

One very important thing Pontiac has to do in order to distinguish G8 from CTS is not to put too much "luxury" touches into that car. High tech gadgets yes but no woodtrims, suede or any kind of those craps. If the MSRP for the CTS is around $35K then the G8 has to start at $25K and top out at $32 the most.
  • 14871487 Member Posts: 2,407
    I looked at Holden's website and the Commodore has a lot of available features, including bluetooth and DVD navigation. OBviously you arent going to see any woodgrain on the G8, but I suspect it will be well equipped. The CTS will have a better sound system, more upscale interior, power til/telescope wheel, panoramic roof, keyless entry/starting and HIDs. Other than that the G8 may give the CTS a run for its money IF they bring over most of the COmmodores features.
    Rocky: Not wealthy, but fortunate. Not lucky, but addicted. I derive pleasure from car shopping/buying. I took a position that required that you have "A" reliable vehicle.

Turns out that the nature of the business requires that you would have to drive about 3K/mo (mostly city), and having just one car could get you in a bind because people are depending on you being there on time.

I am fortunate in that the position pays very well, I have no bills, and I like cars anyway. So I decided that a few reliable cars (which I rotate) would work better, it provides a comfort zone.

The only drawback is that you eventually run out of parking spaces, thus you have to start trading if you see something else that you really want. This is the case with the new CTS. I want to keep the 03 but, I have no (inside) place to park it.

One would think that insurance for seven cars is expensive, but it's really not. I pay less (full coverage) for seven cars than some of my friends pay for one.

The other plus is that my insurance provides a free extended warranty at 7yr/100K on any new car purchase. That's an expense that is averted during any purchase.

Can't wait until I get the 08 CTS. I think about this car all day sometimes.

thebug...
    Rocky: Through the years, I have learned that sunroofs have made the difference (in some strange cases) between surviving an accident vs not. In a convertible, one would expect to get creamed in a rollover, besides I needed one to complete the ensemble.

I now have one of everything, a SUV, lux sedan, 2 wagons, pick up, regular sedan, and a convertible which also covers the coupe department. You have to do it that way when parking is at a premium.

Nav systems aren't useful in a town that's growing rapidly. It doesn't ID construction zones (which is a major, major problem in Las Vegas), and it gives false information when it come to gated communities.

If you are familiar with gated communities (usually only two ways in or out), they tend to have streets that end at brick walls, and the nav system (city maps included) doesn't realize that, so it will in many cases, lead you to a dead end. Las Vegas has tons of gated communities. I can't afford to get lost,or trapped in a maze, drive time is crucial

Second, Las Vegas is bright and sunny 90% of the time, and in bright sunlight (as with my cell phone), I can't see the screen anyway. So for me it's a useless toy. That being said, I do like the pop up in the 08 CTS, and I may, just may get one because it looks pretty good.

I think that in cities that are fully developed, a nav system may be beneficial, but not in a city that's growing so rapidly.

I have driven so much in this city, that, during a given work day, many call me instead of using mapquest. I don't even use a map when I travel across country. I have crossed the country (while on active duty 20 yrs) so many, times that I have pretty much memorized it, and have set foot in every state in the US. Additionally, (not a good thing) I have donated to the policeman's ball in at least 28 states over the years.

thebug...
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    Actually, it's my *dad* who likes the new GM warranty. All things being the same, it's a valid reason to get a new car compared to something used(with only 2/20-something left on it)

But really - it's not a big deal. Just more icing on the cake to entice a few more buyers.

Re: the CTS-V - there's no reason to have 600HP. My cousin has a 600HP Mustang that he's um.. yeah.. slightly cusomized. And then tossed a blower the size of a mini-fridge on. ;) It's completely undriveable in city traffic since it has an on/off throttle and will go 0-60 in such a short time your eyes have a hard time focusing.

No, 300HP and a 6-speed gearbox is goign to be more than enough ;)
    readerreader: These are the type pics that are making me consider getting a nav system (it just adds to the beauty) although I don't really want or need one.

thebug...
    Do you have to be a GM employee to get the GM credit card discount?

thebug...
  • puckspucks Member Posts: 47
    Hey thanks for the correction. Gotta admit, I have no clue why they would show the car with 19's when that's not even an option.

I read the 18's had 9 spokes and the 17's had 7 spokes and just figured it had to be the 18's.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,298
    if you have a 'gm' credit card, you accumulate dollars that can be used toward a purchase of a gm vehicle. this cts is the first gm vehicle i have seen that makes me wish i took them up on their offers a few years ago.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Thank you for the information. I was offered a GM credit card as well, but I didn't realize it could be used as a discount source, so I turned it down thinking that I have too many card already. I'm going to apply for one now.

thebug...
    ok, i fell for that one.
    explorerx4: OK I fell for that one. You have to explain that one
    the cadi still looks promising. i'd like one on the dealer lot.
    Rocky, I've seen you in action around August just before Acura is about to introduce the 08' TL-S at AcuraZine.

Are you sure we are talking about the same Rocky ????

So don't tell me you have never done that. It is kind of funny to see how you praise the SH-AWD back then and now bashing it just because Cadillac produced a "winner".

I'm not bashing the Acura SH-AWD system but others have made good points.... it is after all a FWD-based system isn't it ????

I do admit I like acura's products but they really did dissapoint with the current Type-S. It's a cosmetic joke !

If Acura, really does make a TL with SH-AWD and 300+ horsepower they might have a winner. I for a couple of years was jealous of the customer service people were getting. I however over the last 6-months have noticed I'm not alone in getting the shaft from honda. A guy on these forums bought what he thought was a brand new Odyssey and on closer inspection he got a repainted one and the dealer isn't fixing his problem and customer service tells him to take it up with the dealer. A guy just tonight is talking about being on his 4th transmission and the dealer told him he had a 6 yr. 100k extended warranty in his contract. He said he didn't read it because he was busy and had to leave. I can't believe how some people can look you into your eyes and lie like that. That is what happened to me and supposably that isn't what's suppose to happen when doing business with a company that preaches customer service while stabbing you in the back as you go out the door. I fell for the customer service scam... customer service honestly was the main reason why I wanted to do business with Acura/Honda. It's all B.S. lie !!!! :mad:

I like some of Acura's products but hearing these story's and many others I've read throughout my time hear on edmunds just confirms I should just find me a trustworthy GM dealership and do business with them. I do have one back home in Michigan, and I'm beginning to hear positive things about some of the new owners of some of these dealerships which is a good sign. ;)

Rocky

P.S. The TL, has a nice interior but seriously the materials aren't ground breaking and as a owner I had the "visor rattle" problem like so many others at about 1500 miles. I didn't dare get the tan leather interior because it came with Kia grade faux wood but the carbon fiber looked much better so I went with ebony. I also didn't like the plastic metal in the IS 350 and if I would of bought one those it would of been a non sport suspension model so I could of gotten the wood. I'm just glad I don't have to worry about any of those cars anymore since GM, is offering me several models I really like now. the 08' Malibu is light years ahead of the TL in interior quality and fit and finish. ;)

Rocky
    Disagree........I think the G8 can easily get away with $37K for a loaded gadget filled G8. The base CTS needs to be $35K and top out at $45K.

CTS-V with 600 hp. needs to be $55K loaded.

Rocky
    The G8 needs the bose 5.1 or a mega-watt alternative, ventilated seats, navigation, voice recognition, HIDs, bluetooth, sunroof, DVD Navigation, if it wants to be a benchmark performance sports sedan IMHO.

Rocky
    The other plus is that my insurance provides a free extended warranty at 7yr/100K on any new car purchase. That's an expense that is averted during any purchase.

WOW !!!!! I'd love to have your insurance company !!!!

Can't wait until I get the 08 CTS. I think about this car all day sometimes.

LOL, I happen to a lot now also. :blush:

Rocky
    Nav systems aren't useful in a town that's growing rapidly.

Thats why you get a new disc yearly. ;)

It doesn't ID construction zones (which is a major, major problem in Las Vegas)

That's what XM-Navitraffic is for because it gives you live updates and gives you alternative routes on your navigation. ;)

Get one (Navi) on the 08' CTS along with the "roof" ;)

Rocky