Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Cadillac CTS

Comments

• plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    Also remember that they are trying to beat the 5 series at its own game, so a V8 is a disaster in a basic car. Too heavy, too much torque, bad bas mileage...

250-300hp is all anyone ever has or will need in a car in the U.S. that doesn't serve duty on the weekends racing. That is, if they keep the weight down and put it together properly(I'd have said 200hp, but apparently the days of 2600lb M3s are long gone).

Oh - and I won't look at, won't lease, won't even kick the tires unless it's RWD and has a manual transmission.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    5 series killer. hmmm...

540i
    M5

Bother are V8s... The std. CTS should have a V8 option and a 6.0 in a std CTS would walk on a 540i, and the CTS-v would be at least an ample if not walk all over an M5.

-mike
    Oh, right. I forgot. You have to have bigger numbers and more cylinders to compete these days.(sic for those who rely on emoticons too much)

That you'd make this comment about a BMW is interesting because BMW was *the* car company that proved that you didn't need a bigger engine than the others to completely kick their butts to (random city of choice) and back.

A properly made V6 can pummel most V8s day in and day out if it's designed right. And I think GM can do this with the 3.6.

I'm going to enjoy seeing the 08 CTS up against the 5 this fall. It should be fun to watch the fur fly. (m5 aside, but we'll have to wait until 2009 for the CTS-V to see which is better)
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
    Very true. My ideal vehicle has for years been along the lines of a 530i, pre-Bangle/pre-i-drive, but now that I'm in the market BMW's eliminated that option. Closest I can come seems to be the new CTS, we'll see, I'm hoping...
    Oh, right. I forgot. You have to have bigger numbers and more cylinders to compete these days.(sic for those who rely on emoticons too much)

That you'd make this comment about a BMW is interesting because BMW was *the* car company that proved that you didn't need a bigger engine than the others to completely kick their butts to (random city of choice) and back.

Trust me, I hear you loud and clear. I race a 2.2L Turbo H4 engine in my 94 Legacy Turbo. I routinely outbrake and outhandle vettes, especially in the rain on-track. However, in this day and age, in the USDM market, cylinders and HP/Torque numbers are king to sell to the "performance/luxury" crowd, the V8s though if engineered correctly can easily beat out the V6s.

-mike
    Motorsports and Tuning Host
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    "250-300hp is all anyone ever has or will need in a car in the U.S. that doesn't serve duty on the weekends racing. That is, if they keep the weight down and put it together properly(I'd have said 200hp, but apparently the days of 2600lb M3s are long gone).

Oh - and I won't look at, won't lease, won't even kick the tires unless it's RWD and has a manual transmission.”

Clearly, you have strong feelings & opinions about things like manual transmissions and how much HP is “enough” – for any car in the U.S.

While you are certainly free to choose whatever you want to buy or lease or test drive, based on whatever criteria you want – I prefer to retain that same choice for myself. My own Daily Driver has 400 HP. And an automatic trans. And over 2/3 of all Corvettes sold ( as of Model Year 2006 ) are automatics – a percentage that would dictate that if only a manual trans. was available, the cost of the Corvette would have to be substantially higher. Due to spreading many fixed costs over far fewer units.

I’ll be quite happy if the CTS-v has a manual trans. But I won’t seriously consider purchase if no manumatic is available. One reason that I waited to purchase my Corvette was the fact that until Model Year 2006, no manumatic was available.

You buy what you want. If 200 HP ( and 2600 LB ) is what you want, good luck! I am very happy with twice the HP and 3200 LB.

- Ray
    Not interested in judging what anyone else wants or needs . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    Oh I'm sure that AT Vettes sell very well, they always did, it's great to have AT as an option (manumatic is just a fancy AT no matter what jibberish the manufactures tell you) and I don't begrudge anyone buying an AT. I just find it funny when folks with ATs claim their cars are just as good or fast etc as the MT version of the car, which anyone who know's knows that the torque converter sucks down power and disipates it as heat....

To each his own, and I hope they offer the CTS with an AT as an option.

-mike
    "I just find it funny when folks with ATs claim their cars are just as good or fast etc as the MT version of the car, which anyone who know's knows that the torque converter sucks down power and disipates it as heat.... "

See below list - 10 quickest Corvettes.
    - Ray
    Funny........

"CORVETTEFORUM.COM C6 Corvette ET Rankings

Times are received from all over the country and are not corrected. Because track and weather conditions vary, this list ranking does not, and can not, identify the fastest cars or drivers in any particular order. It only lists the recorded times, regardless of conditions, in order from quickest to slowest. In cases where ET is the same, the higher MPH determines list order.

Showroom Stock
    12.21 @ 115.45 - LS1LT1- 06 A6
    12.23 @ 115.58 - 06C6FVR - 06 Z51 M6
    12.31 @ 114.82 - CYA Vett - 05 F55 M6
    12.42 @ 113.90 - DrRichie - 05 Z51 M6
    12.42 @ 112.99 - Jlking - 06 A6
    12.49 @ 114.90 - Jschindler - 05 Z51 M6
    12.53 @ 113.00 - Wicked07C6 - 07 Z51 M6
    12.54 @ 113.74 - Tony96LT4 - 06 Z51 A6
    12.54 @ 113.24 - NineBall - 05 Z51 M6 - tstat
    12.56 @ 113.39 - Red Sleeper -06 A6"
    2022 X3 M40i
    cdpinhead -

From reports I have seen, the 335d – with TQ = 428 ( yikes ????? ) would likely be fun to drive.

Who knows if it will make it to the U.S. – in time for you – or ever . . .

Best of luck!

- Ray
    Wondering what a twin turbocharged, diesel 3.6L V6 would do in a CTS . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    Oh at the drag strip.... I was talking about real driving :) Do you have any circuit times for AT v. MT? Like with left and right turns. Heeeeeeee

ATs are often times faster in the 1/4 mile.

-mike
    GM and Ford are consistent in their inability to make a well functioning automatic that doesn't love to lug the engine and out-think you.

In twisties, all the power in the world won't help you if your car is 3600+lbs and the automatic is playing games with you instead of keeping the thing in 2nd gear all the time. And then there's the almost universal wide-open-throttle lag while the torque converter unlocks and gets out of the way before a major down-shift.

Ick. A CTS with manual is definitely the way to go. Now if they could just manage to drop 400lbs...

Oh - and as for weight, weight is the enemy of performance, pure and simple. A 3600lb 3 series is going to be a mess in twisties unless you spend a lot more money on beefed up components and technology(which you pay for of course) compared to just making the car light to begin with.

An Altima can come in at 3000lbs and it's not a subcompact, so something has gone horribly wrong of late if we are considering 3400-3600lbs as "sporty".
    The weight in the sporty luxury cars IMHO like the CTS is there for a few reasons. NVH and Ride Quality. The weight gives them a nice smooth ride over even the roughest surfaces, and the weight also comes from adding sound deadening material to help insulate the people from the noise etc. It's all a tradeoff, even the lightest cars that are acceptable for road use, would not be acceptable in a road race situation.

So sometimes you have to give a little. For instance the folks who will be driving the AT version of the CTS are willing to give up a bit of the control and power etc. afforded to those folks who take the MTs for the lack of having to clutch, etc.

My Legacy race car that has a stripped interior, and removed sound deadening material was just weighed this past weekend and it dropped down about 600lbs from 3100 to roughly 2500. After adding in the cage and safety gear it came back up to 2700 lbs but still fairly light, but unacceptable for anyone to drive on the streets. If we took out the windows and power window motors and replaced the body parts with aluminum and removed the whole bumper beams we could get her down to 2300 easily, maybe less, but we aren't due to weight requirements for classification purposes.

-mike
    I don't remember anyone complaining fifteen years ago about the noise of a 5 series.
    Think about it this way, GM wouldn't make the car any heavier than it has to be, be it cost/benefit (lighter sound deadening may be more expensive?) etc. etc. As I said if they could make it ligher, they'd have a higher MPG and it would help their CAFE as well. It's heavy for a reason, be it cost or engineering, but it's not to their benefit to make it any heavier than it needs to be.

I don't remember anyone complaining fifteen years ago about the noise of a 5 series.
    It's not 15 years ago. Things were different then than they are now. Curious if there are any interior dB ratings from then and now?

-mike
  • bruceomegabruceomega Member Posts: 250
    I'm wondering if there are noticeable differences in the performance and responsiveness of the different auto trans used in the various ELLPS and LPS cars.

I read somewhere that 335i coupes with sports package (that may be all of them?) come with a ZF AT in lieu of the GM AT, and the ZF has better performance (faster shifts). And the new 5 series offers a more performance oriented AT on the 535i and 550i, which I asssume is the ZF AT.

Does anyone have experience on how the AT in the current CTS compares to the AT in an IS350, G35, or 335 for example?

Thanks
    Bruce
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    I don't know the reasons that the autotransmissions offered today are as variable as they are (even from the same mfg); yet, I usually conclude the differences are attributable to "software."

I wasn't at all fond of my autotrans in my first Audi in years to have one (in a then new 1997 A8.) Subsequent A6's (2 of them) with V8's and 5 speed tiptronics did little to improve my opinion of them.

Then I drove a DSG equipped Audi car and an Audi called an "S6 Avant."

Both of these cars had entirely different "feels" -- and this change in feeling could be attributed to the transmissions.

When time came for my next car, figuring we were doomed, I ordered an Audi allroad with a 6 speed manual. Time passed. Six speed and seven speed transmissions (and CVT, DSG and SMG's) became more readily available.

When I shopped for a new car, there was ONLY one stick -- a REAR wheel drive BMW 5 series -- in the LPS crowd. Not being a fan of only two driven wheels, I went with another Audi, this one with a 6 speed tiptronic.

The responsiveness of the transmission at this stage of development has greatly improved. Yet, the standard fare autos from the Germans still seem to want to outthink their hapless drivers. The current breed of autos WILL shift very rapidly. Unfortunately, left to their own programming, they tend to upshift early and downshift late (for my tastes.) They are often "this close" to shifting, but it seems to come a second+ too late or too early.

The remedy? Run the thing in sport mode. Now THAT's the way I remember the old autotransmissions of yesteryear -- shifting at higher RPM's, always keeping the engine close to some torque sweet spot.

The transmissions today seem to put economy ahead of performance. Software can be made to address this, that much is clear.

The DSG (but currently NOT the SMG), too, would be an acceptable alternative, but, alas, is years away apparently from being offered widely.

In the mean time, BMW (in the LPS group) and perhaps Cadillac in the new CTS (not in the LPS group) will be the only manual games in town.

Our laments and arguments will not (or so it seems) broaden the availability of manual transmissions.

My belief is that the autos have and will continue to improve -- and it is also a hope.

Hope, unfortunately, is not a strategy.

Drive it like YOU live. :surprise:

Good luck in finding one at a dealer.
    Mark,

I don't doubt that software is a factor in the performance of an automatic. But I assume there is a limit to what can be done with s/w, and hardware is a factor as well since one particular manufacturer offers automatics from two different manufacturers.

The current CTS has a 5 speed auto, and the 08 CTS will have a 6 speed auto. I'm curious whether the auto trans in the 08 CTS will be as responsive as the GM sourced unit in the BMW 3 series.

Thanks
    Bruce
    "the GM sourced unit in the BMW 3"
    The 335i now uses a ZF unit:

ZF 6 HP 19 TU, 6-speed

- Ray
    Also curious about the 6 speed automatic in the CTS......
    2022 X3 M40i
    Ray,

Thanks for the info. Do you know which AT is used in the 335Xi?

Back to CTS, I should have been more specific and asked how the '08 CTS 6 speed is expected to compare to the 6 speed GM auto in the '06 330Xi, which I own, and the '07 328 cars.

Thanks
    Bruce
  • ral1960ral1960 Member Posts: 74
    Don't know much about transmissions, but according to this:
    http://www.gmfleet.com/pdf/2008_car_and_truck_guide.pdf
    (10 meg file) on page 43-4, the CTS will have 6 speed auto standard, with manual optional. It doesn't have prices. The online ordering guide lists manual as standard and auto as optional. Perhaps they're no-cost options.
    “Back to CTS, I should have been more specific and asked how the '08 CTS 6 speed is expected to compare to the 6 speed GM auto in the '06 330Xi, which I own, and the '07 328 cars.”

If Caddy sees BMW 3 and \ or 5 as competition for the new CTS, the state of the automatic transmission “art” seems an important point. One article with a lot of technical information is here:

http://www.just-auto.com/article.aspx?id=90340

2 particularly interesting quotes ( to me ) are:

“The 2nd generation 6HP can jump over a gear completely, or even three gears when going from 6th down to 2nd, or 5th down to 1st.”

and

“In particular, the TCU is able to ask the ECU to 'blip' the engine speed, at certain times during the shifting process, to ensure a smooth gear transition. In addition to its usual task of determining the right gear for the conditions, the TCU also monitors the driving style of the driver, and adjusts the shift strategy accordingly.”

[[ Translation: “rev match on downshift” ]]

These two features are areas where the current ( my 2007 ) 6-speed GM automatic is not particularly stellar. Meaning, in my Corvette, it will not do either.

I have hopes that the 2008 version ( in the Corvette and in the CTS & STS ) will be further developed and will provide features like these – that contribute to the smoothness & the responsiveness.

We’ll see . . .

- Ray
    Ready for my test drive - now.
    2022 X3 M40i
    My wife and I -- mostly due to my wife's desire to be extra extra thorough -- have been test driving until I am almost getting sick of it.

Yet, I would test the new CTS 300HP AWD in a heartbeat.

Drove the 335 and the 328 (xi), haven't driven the 535xi -- and frankly I can't see spending "your money" on some of these (the value proposition does seem to be getting better on non German cars -- for a change -- being the reason I wouldn't spend "your money.")

The CTS vs the A5 vs the A4 vs the Acadia or Enclave or Q5 or, or . . .

The Enclave kinda made me think of an American interpretation of the VW Touareg (for about $10K less.) The Enclave was about $45K with all toys on it and premium paint even.

What is the problem with Bluetooth and American cars anyway? Or is it just GM cars (On*star?) I can't imagine driving a car that I can't pair my cell phone to and go hand and eyes free, BT makes this a no-brainer. Mention BT to most GM salesreps and its like you kicked their favorite dog -- one GM rep said, "I know, I know. . .what were they thinking?" [about not having BT in the 2008's even] :confuse:

Still looking forward to the test drive, tho. . . :surprise:
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    What is the problem with Bluetooth and American cars anyway? Or is it just GM cars (On*star?) I can't imagine driving a car that I can't pair my cell phone to and go hand and eyes free, BT makes this a no-brainer. Mention BT to most GM salesreps and its like you kicked their favorite dog -- one GM rep said, "I know, I know. . .what were they thinking?" [about not having BT in the 2008's even]

In fact, the lack of BT in the '08 CTS makes it a deal breaker when my Aug. lease comes due. I'm still interested in the car though.
  • ortegaortega Member Posts: 105
    It won't be a dealbreaker...Bluetooth will be a dealer-installed option from launch on the CTS:

http://cadillac.gmblogs.com/2007/04/answers.html
    Thanks for the info. on Bluetooth.
  • breaga01breaga01 Member Posts: 6
    It looks sharp but I would be more concerned about the 3.6L engine than what the car looks like.

I have a 2005 CTS 3.6L with 30500 miles. At 26K I had an engine noise (a rattle just after starting for about 2-3 seconds) that started just after a LOF. I was told it was a bad starter (which I thought was weird at the time) but the dealer replaced it under warranty. The noise came back at 29K and I check the oil and it was not even on the stick. I added 3 quarts and immediately took it to the dealer for a LOF and checkup. It had about 3500 miles since the last LOF. I was shocked and somewhat naive that a 2005 Cadillac using Mobil 1 (BTW, Oil/filter change $65.00) would be burning oil at that rate with 29K on it. Now at 30500, 1500 miles since last change I am low almost 2 Qts again and I hear the noise again. I have never seen any warning lights or messages and I see no signs of leaks. My oil life is about 55-60% and between 3000-3600 miles between oil/filter changes. Seventy-five percent of my driving is highway with the rest is city getting on and off the highway. I am very fussy about my cars and watch and listen for anything abnormal. For the first 8-12K I check the oil on a regular basis because I did not have a history about this car/engine. I noticed it got dirty faster than my Chevy engines and at 3000miles it was less than 1/2 qt low and I wrote that off as still engine break in time. After that I stopped checking it, the dealer never said it was low when it was in for service. So something happened between 12K and 26K that it is now using over a quart per 1000 miles. Definitely not acceptable in my book. It was my first Cadillac and it was my last. My 87 Monte Carlo SS 305 has 110000 miles on in and don’t burn 1 quart in over 3000 miles. That’s acceptable! Oil/filter change $18.00
  • bingomanbingoman Member Posts: 373
    What is an LOF.
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
    Lube Oil Filter
  • breaga01breaga01 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2005 CTS 3.6L with the Luxury Opt which don’t give you much for the cost of the vehicle. Unless GM adds some options as standard equipment I will not be upgrading to the 2008 model. MY 2002 Chevy Trail Blazer had more options than they put in the CTS. i.e. Heated seats. CTS have High/low. Wow! GM really went over board there. The Trail Blazer had High/Low but also had separate controls for seat and seat backs. Day/Night mirror. CTS only had it for the Inside. The Trail Blazer had it also on the drivers outside. On the Computer Information Panel, the CTS really SUCKS here. They put all the displays on the radio and you have to skip through about 15 different views to get the ones you want to really see. They should have left the temp up on the mirror like other GM products. Put the instant mileage and trip sets in the dash with the odometer like other GM products. Take that damn radio volume dial knob off the steering wheel. It sticks up to high and your hand is always hitting it while turning and turning the radio volume blasting you out of the car. VSK-Very Stupid Knob. NO MP3 connector, MP3 have only been around for 5-6 years now but GM is not in touch with what consumers want in their autos. I could keep going but I think you get my point. GM skimped big time on putting some features on the CTS that come on CHEVY's. I understand it is the low-end model but it is a Cadillac. GM is trying to reach out to younger buyers purchasing BMW, Lexus, Infinity, etc., and other fine luxury cars, its about time they started producing them. GM’s thinking it to move you up the product line to the STS, DTS, SRX. I will move up on my next vehicle, it will just be to a competitor.
    Now with the Nissans and the "rest" of the more pedestrian cars having so many features and so much content, it seems only natural the Cadillac should have:

Power operated everything (expansion on this theme below).

Both front seats should be power operated and the driver's seat should be equipped with memory.

Heated/cooled front and rear seats (even if extra cost).

Bladder in front seats with controls to inflate/deflate.

Heated steering wheel, power articulated tilt and telescoping standard.

Servotronic steering at least

Stabilitrac with brake assist or whatever they call it.

Navigation with a backup camera plus rear, at least, parktronic sensors.

Pushbutton start. Smart key, proximity sensor.

Bluetooth with full voice control of the dialing functions.

Inside and outside electrochromic mirrors.

Turnsignals in outside mirrors.

Compass in mirror.

Heads up display.

Lane departure warning.

Automatic cruise control.

Voice activation of the sound system (changing channels, etc.)

Voice activation of the nav system.

High zoot sound system option (even if it is BOSE.)

Power rear sunshade.

Xenon articulating headlights.

"Full instrumentation."

Sat radio with integration with nav system.

Rear biased AWD (optional).

18" wheels standard with 19"'s optional.

====

Now, it does appear, the Cadillac CTS will have lots (most) of this "content." Even the more exotic content seems doable and there probably would be a market for it, even if extra cost.

Ones that were deal breakers for some of us, included Bluetooth. I have become quite a fan of the proximity feature of the smart key systems -- I can take or leave push button start, however. I have grown to appreciate the voice commands for their contribution to safe driving.

When a Ford SUV has most of this stuff and when a Nissan Altima has most of this stuff, well -- there you have it.

The Cadillac needs "more stuff" -- even at optional prices -- just to be considered a "current" vintage vehicle.

Just seems the bar (content) keeps getting higher and higher -- be a shame if Cadillac didn't keep up with the technology that is readily available.

:shades:
    The CTS comes with a USB port in the center console with full ipod integration (from what I've read). The IP, right under the speedo, has a driver information center which will display the trip odos and other vehicle information (like mileage, veh status, etc.). It may also appear in the NAV/Radio pop-up screen as you said, but you can find what you're seeking right in front of you as well. The steering wheel audio controls are buttons, not dials or knobs - you probably won't hit them by mistake (a dial or knob would be horrible). The front seats (up to 10-way control BTW) can be heated AND cooled, and judging by the up/down arrows for what temperature in the pictures I've seen there will be levels of control beyond just hot or cold. I think GM has done a pretty good packaging job for this car - the available and standard options should satisfy most buyers. The only thing I could not find was the auto-dimming outside rearview mirror and since information on the car is not 100% available yet - I would hope that this would come standard. Don't give up on GM just yet - I actually think they're getting it right this time. As for me - this is the first time I am actually even considering buying a car from a US automaker.

You can check it out for yourself through the links below:

http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/domestic/proddesc.jsp?year=2008&butID=1&regionID=1&divisionID=5&vehicleID=4824&type=0

http://cadillac/com/allnewcts

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2008-cadillac-cts-1/

http://www.motorauthority.com/cars/cadillac/all-new-2008-cadillac-cts/

Hope that helps...
  • 150mphclub150mphclub Member Posts: 316
    your links contain information that is many months old. The motorauthority link is dated January.
    The age of the information, in this case, does not make it any less accurate. The motorauthority link sources its information from official Cadillac press releases - it's not speculation. Unfortunately, this is the most current information available until more information is released by GM as launch approaches. If you check the "News" section of the allnewcts website, you'll can see the actual Cadillac press releases. If you take the time to read them, you'll see that the motorauthority link is basically quoting the GM press release.

I posted the links so that you could see that some of the comments/assumptions you were making about the content of the vechicle were incorrect. I was simply trying to be helpful.

The autoblog link just provides photos (so you could see the buttons on the wheel, the temp control for the seats and the IP info display). The Cadillac link is updated as GM sees fit (and it has not been since March - except for a few videos) as is the GM online order guide (that was updated last week with a few corrections).
    My local Cadillac dealer tells me prioing on the CTS will be available in approximately two weeks.
    I suppose that means we should see pricing very soon then.
  • ral1960ral1960 Member Posts: 74
    I don't know what corrections were made recently to the online ordering guide, but the dimensions and specs are for the 2007 CTS, and hence inaccurate.
    Well then the dimensions page, along with pricing, are due for an update soon I guess.
  • len00len00 Member Posts: 22
    I'm assuming everybody is just waiting for GM to release pricing information on the CTS but has anybody heard anything new? I've been searching everywhere for any new tidbit of information but I can't dig up anything new. This forum has been awfully quiet for some time so I assume nobody has any new information to report. Anyway, I'll keep my fingers crossed for some good news regarding pricing.
  • 14871487 Member Posts: 2,407
    i would look for pricing to be announced next month.
    When pricing is announced where will it be posted?
    One of the first places on the 'net will most likely here:

http://www.gmbuypower.com/

Build Your Own...
    2022 X3 M40i
  • godaddy1godaddy1 Member Posts: 15
    Does anyone know if either 3.6 base or direct injection needs premium fuel? :confuse:
    Both of the engines will use regular unleaded gasoline.
  • prettybadassprettybadass Member Posts: 1
    I'm from NJ, and visited a Cadillac dealer this past week and was told they're expecting the 2008 CTS to arrive late July or early August. The salesman also let me know that they've heard the top of the line 3.6L will be about $43,000 if this helps anyone with their pricing questions.
  • thebugthebug Member Posts: 294
    prettybadass - This raises yet another set of questions for me. Is 43K top of the line with standard equipment, or top of the line with major bells and whistles?

thebug...
  • len00len00 Member Posts: 22
    I was thinking the same thing... If that's 43K for standard then I'm out of the running. I can't imagine GM moving too many vehicles at that price with the stiff competition that it's up against. Then again, for example, will this car be going against the M series Infiniti or the G; the 5 Series Bimmer or the 3? If it's the former as opposed to the latter it may be a different story...

Len
  • thebugthebug Member Posts: 294
    len00 - My point exactly. This 43K price would have to be a well equipped (close to fully loaded)top of the line price. Otherwise, it would be over the current price range of the current CTS-V if a few toys were added. It just wouldn't make sense for them to crank the price up 10K over the current.

The top of the line M35 is nicely equipped as standard at 44K. Add all the bells and whistles and you are over 53K easy. The M35 competes with the A6, and 5 Series (on this site), but I did read an article in Consumer Reports where they lumped them altogether in a mid-sized luxury segment comparo with bang for the buck being the highlight in my view.

I'm guessing, I will be able to get everything but the sunroof at around 44K OTD. At least I hope that's the case.

thebug...
    "I can't imagine GM moving too many vehicles at that price with the stiff competition that it's up against. "

Watching how Caddy has priced the STS, since 2005 - and seeing the sales drop rather dramatically - it appears to me that GM is resolute in applying "premium pricing" to Caddys....

And holding those prices in the face of low sales.

Interesting strategy.
    - Ray
    Also waiting to see how the CTS pricing looks....
    2022 X3 M40i
  • 14871487 Member Posts: 2,407
    The new CTS is mentioned and shown in the new Onstar and XM radio ads. Just saw it last night. They clearly show the front of a blue (or dark colored) 2008 CTS piloted by Lucy Liu in the onstar ad. Looks good.
    I'm not sure that's the new CTS in the ad. The blue car you're talking about has a different headlight configuration than the CTS. The blue car in the commercial has two round HID lamps whereas the 08 CTS has only one (you see the lamps clearly in a few of the cut shots). What you're seeing is the 2008 STS in the ad.