Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Trooper Check Engine Light

2»

Comments

• biryanibiryani Member Posts: 5
    One more thing.......Sorry too many questions.....
    I live in Chicago land area, does any one know a good, reliable & cheaper mechanic where I can take my car for fix, I don't want to take it to the dealer because they are a big rip offs.
  • johndeeregirljohndeeregirl Member Posts: 1
    I am having this same problem - but it only occurs when it is above 85* outside. Last August it started, I spent several hundred dollars and several having it trouble shooted and I thought fixed.Would run fine, then have the issues randomly. Replaced 02 sensor, idle control, etc. 3 different shops. Then was told maybe needed to have the fuel injectors cleaned, used Lucas fuel cleaner. Ran great all fall, winter, spring (also rebuilt transmission this spring). Last week it started it again. Very random, doesn't matter if AC is on, it will reduce power. If I pull over and let it sit for about 5 minutes it runs great again. The check engine light will also go off after driving a couple of miles. Anyone else have a solution?
  • biryanibiryani Member Posts: 5
    Hello All,

Finally I found out this stupid "REDUCE POWER" light on resolution.
    It comes in only because your battery is start dying, you would think it's working perfectly fine but in reality it just start dying and not sending enough voltage to your ening.
    All other functions will remain working fine untill it really died but for the 4 wheel drive SUVs, voltage has to be on a constant level.
    So, if you see that light start coming either try to recharge your battery or replace it with good one.
    This exactly what happened to my Isuzu Trooper 2002 SUV. Good thing is that mechanic from Isuzu dealer is my friend and he told me about that. So I bought a new battery and go back to dealer and installed it by myself (coz they are charging $200 just for battery and installation) and now there is no more Reduce Power light.
  • fkorbmacherfkorbmacher Member Posts: 1
    I had the same codes displayed and this is what I found. Isuzu moved the ECU into the engine compartment and the wiring is most sensitive. After replacing the TPS (throttle Position Sensor) the problem still occured. You recieve these codes becuase there is a loss in cunductivity within the wire harness in the engine compartment. The connections after time get loose and correded. I pulled apart every connections of the wire harness within the engine compartment, cleaned and made sure they snapped back together. I was told by many mechanics that this is a common problem and most recommend replacing the main wire harness. This is a major job if you do not know what you are doing and the harness itself costs $700+/-. By simply making sure that your connections are solid, they problem will solve itself. My Tropper was down for three weeks, new battery, new TPS and the problem was just the wires. She has been running like new with zero problems.

I hope you find this helpful. Exhaust all avenues before spending major $$$$. It took me a good hour to make sure alll the connections were cleaned and snapped together. Good luck.
  • toddswagnertoddswagner Member Posts: 33
    What did you clean the connections with? That is what they were going to do last year, replace the main wiring harness. I thought that was ridiculous, so I replaced a bunch of other parts and still have the issue. Let me know what to clean the connections with and I will give it a try. I also experience the engine turning off while the tank is almost empty. I wonder if there is crap in the tank?
  • ikrisbikrisb Member Posts: 1
    It's located behind the passengers side head light. You will see all the brake lines running into it.
  • acdcbabe66acdcbabe66 Member Posts: 1
    2001 Isuzu trooper check engine light came on and stays on the vehicle runs the same as before is it OK to drive it I'm not sure what to do about it
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

Easy first step is to see if a local auto parts shop can pull the codes for free. Then paste them here (assuming some are thrown) and someone may have some suggestions.

• fizixdoodfizixdood Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Trooper with a 6eV1. Just had the alternator bracket bolt holes on the block rewelded and helicoiled/tapped. Running great but after about 200 miles the CEL came on. I also noticed a faint burning smell coming from beneath the hood, like electrric not oil. Any ideas?
  • toddswagnertoddswagner Member Posts: 33
    The check engine light is on because you are running 87 octane gas. If you run 93 octane gas for a tankful, it will turn off. I have done this several times to pass emissions. I don't think the 87 octane hurts the engine, but the light comes on. I have a 2001 Isuzu trooper with 138k miles on it.
  • lexa416lexa416 Member Posts: 1
    I am the owner of an Isuzu trooper 2000 passed down from my grandmother to me as my first car. They have had trouble with the check engine light. Supposedly every 50 miles it'll reset and the light will go away but it'll then come back. My grandfather has brought it to a shop but they can't find the issue. Please help, I want this car to have no issues!