Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Jetta Engine Questions

Comments

• bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,085
    Pat -- you are, of course, correct and I apolagize if I seem harsh.

I am more accustomed the literally 1000s of folks that have THANKED me over the years for providing assistance here in Edmunds.

In this case, I explained how the requestor may be able to save some money. If somone does not have the skills to do the task, then the only other alternitive may be to have a TRUSTED mechanic do the work.

Blaming the manufacturer of the vehicle because a mechanic charges too much is simply unfair to the folks that make the car. If the car has some kind of intrinsic design defect, we may entertan blaming the manufacturer. (Even under such conditions, we must consider the federal laws which mandate some goofy designs and finnicky problems... such as plugging intake manifolds due to cooled EGR.)

Any vehicle with over 100,000 miles on it does not owe you ANYTHING... it has served it useful life and any more miles we get out if it is a bonus. Have we forgotten the days not long ago when a car was worn-out and ready for the scrap heap at 60,000 miles?

As I said before, the costs of repair on a vehicle with more than 100,000 miles on the odemeter REALLY needs to be amortorized over the time the repair lasts (and any other failures that occour.)

For example, if a car with 125,000 miles costs $1,700 to fix... but lasts another 2 years, that means it only cost $850 per year or about $71 per month... That is PRETTY CHEEP transportation in my book. Where can I buy another car with payments of $71 a month?

And - more to the point... why would I even consider NOT BUYING ANOTHER car that provided me with such inexpensive transprotation?
  • misskalimisskali Posts: 1
    guys i need u'r help. I have a Golf 2000, and today it just went crazy. I was driving and out of nowhere it started shaking, and it starting stinking in the car. If anyone could give e an idea of what it might be, i would really appreciate it. thank's
    Can you tell us which engine you have and if you noticed any indicator lights on the dash?

Also, did it go away or is it now always happening?
  • I am experiencing alot of lurching while idle. I notice the RPMs bounce between 800-1000 RPMs while the lurching occurs. The lurching stops when I place the car in neutral. I also notice a strong gas smell while idle. Any ideas where to start?
  • ilsailsa Posts: 1
    Just last week, Oil and Filter were changed on the car. Two days later when the car was accelerated, smoke started to come out of the back of the car. Can someone give me some idea why this is happening?

Thanks
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,018
    could be way over-filled. If it was done at a quick-lube place, it wouldn't be the first time.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

There was a rash of bad ignitors on your 1.8T engine. Judging by your description, I would say that one of your 4 ignitors is failing. (If a sparkplug fails to ignite the fuel, the idlespeed would drop and you would smell raw gasoline out the exhaust pipe.)

Ignitor: Individual ignition coil - one on each sparkplug.

If you did not take your car in when you got the recall notice for the ignitors, you could try to get it covered now. (good luck)
  • i need to know what short ram air intakes will work for my 98 jetta gls, and only short rams please =)

such as, brands or exact models

dont care how much it costs either
  • cougar6cougar6 Posts: 1
    hi i was wondering anyone knew if you could take a manifold from a 98 1.8L turbo jetta and put it on a 2.0L non turbo jetta. the reason i want to know is because i would like to make my 2.0L jetta turbo charged
  • jjordan2jjordan2 Posts: 5
    or is it just an engine with a VR6 cover? image
    The 1.8T and the 2.0 are do completely different engines. The 1.8T is an AUDI engine and the 2.0 is the based on the ol' original Rabbit engine made in Pennslyvania.

Even if you could add a turbocharger to the 2.0, the design of the engine (compression ratio) is too high to allow for much boost. Turbocharged engines are DESIGNED with a low compression-ratio to allow for more boost without self-destructing.
    It sure looks like a VR6... I can count the sparkplug wires from here 8-) No other VW engine has 6 sparkplug wires.

I guess somone could doctor up a VR6 engine cover to fit on a different engine... but why would anyone do that??

To specifically answer your question... we cannot see what is under that cover so there is NO WAY to be certain.
  • 600kgolfgt600kgolfgt Posts: 690
    That is indeed a VR6 (I have a 1.8T). As a matter of fact, that engine is actually the 12V version sold with the early MkIVs (the 24v version has the individual coil packs on each cylinder as opposed to the single coil pack and spark plug wires on the 12v).
  • cordeidcordeid Posts: 2
    HI! My cooling fan has been running constantly for two approximately 2 years - I know - I tried to get it diagnosed but my mechanic wasn't able to come up with anything conclusive. No other problems - just the load noise of the fan running. Anyone experience something similar or have advice on correcting this?
    Yep find a mechanic who knows what he's doing. This isn't rocket science here. There's a wiring diagram available for the fan/sensor system and ways to diagnose it step by step.

• cordeidcordeid Posts: 2
    Is this wiring diagram available online? I have someone willing to diagnose but no diagram......
    Don't know if it's online sorry...maybe someone else can jump in on this---but if you post the link to the diagram, I'll take a shot at it! :shades:

• i have a 2002 1.8T. i bought it used last yr, said it had a warrenty(actually already expired) but all of a sudden the car keeps overheating for no reason, that and yesterday the EPC light came on and the car lost all power. i waited and it started again, but last night it wouldn't start at all, or turn over. i tightened the battery cable but i think the screws might be stripped, i'm not sure what is going on and don't have thousands to pour into it...what should i do, any advice, ideas, or help is greatly appreciated. thanks.
    I wonder if you've been attacked by the SLUDGE monster---hope not...let's think positive....

Oh, the ignition coils! These had a high failure rate and I THINK your car might still be covered under some extended warranty situation? Is that right or is that all over and done with according to VW?

• dragom_dandragom_dan Posts: 5
    i bought yesterday a 2001 jetta vr6 85k miles
    i have a strange noise in engine (not to disturbing)
    an another one .. under the hood or under the car.. or on of the tires .. is making a rithmical noise .. when i hit the brakes or drive with 30 miles on hour , the car vibrates you can feel that on the brake pedal
  • dragom_dandragom_dan Posts: 5
    i bought yesterday a 2001 jetta vr6 85k miles
    i have a strange noise in engine (not to disturbing)
    an another one .. under the hood or under the car.. or on of the tires .. is making a rithmical noise .. when i hit the brakes or drive with 30 miles on hour , the car vibrates you can feel that on the brake pedal
    what shoul i do.. o was to the delers they gave me need to replace timing chains , another one told me that is not sure is that problem .
    what should i do..
    what is the correct price for change that stuff?
    and also hom much theu should charge for an elctrical fan ?
  • mnfshrmanmnfshrman Posts: 1
    After taking off from a stop sign I was coming up to speed and the engine just died. I've checked to make sure I'm getting fuel to the rack (getting good Fuel), and I've check to make sure I'm getting good spark at the plugs (Good Spark), and now I'm totally lost. In my eyes if I have fuel and good spark the car should start. The car turns over fine but will not fire. Any help would sure be appreciated.

David
    If indeed you are getting good spark and fuel, the only other explanations are that a)that you've lost all compression instantly, which points to a broken timing belt or b) your injectors are not firing. You might double check by using some starter fluid to see if indeed you are getting fuel through the injectors...maybe your injectors are not getting a signal, which means you'd have fuel in the rack but no further. You can also check injectors by buying a noid light which isn't that expensive.

• only1heatonly1heat Posts: 1
    :confuse: I OWN A 2003 2.0 JETTA GL AND I WAS WONDERING IF THE SPEED GOVERNOR WAS ONE OF THOSE SENSOR TYPES OR ONE OF THE ECU CHIPS. IF ANYONE KNOWS PLEASE REPLY THAT WOULD GREATLY ASSIST ME. :D
  • yeah, no extended warrenty either. i took it to autozone and the did a diagnostic on it. they said it was te crankshaft sensor was running at a different speed causing all the problems, but it could be the coils, where would i get either of those parts for not very expensive? thanks for your help.
    This sure sounds like your problem doesn't it?

http://www.lemonlaw.com/volkswagen-problems.html

So did you check with the VW dealer?

• yea the dealership wont do anything and they arent available until late next week. both of the fans arent working and so we dont know if it is the cooling fan thermo switch or it might be the engine(hope not). but that is possibly the problem that is causing the overheating, but i'm not sure about the electrical issues, like when the car just dies while i drive it, and then starts again(3-4 times in a row). that does sound like it may be the problem, how do i check to know, just take it in i guess?
    thanks again for all your help.
    You'll need a computer that actually reads (interprets rather than merely scans) the codes and someone to do a "diagnostic tree" and figure out what's what. The computer doesn't always tell you what's wrong, only the SYSTEM that's affected.

• ladonaladona Posts: 3
    My son said that his 1998 jetta stated this morning then cut off on him, he tried again and got it started. Went to work, got off the jetta started fine, then about 25 minutes later he calls and says that his car shook and then cut off then would not start back up. What could this be.

Thanks
    LaDona
  • scoughlanscoughlan Posts: 3
    :sick: I need helpful advice! I am a single mother with a non-existent budget who knows nothing about cars! Cliffs notes version of what happened...Engine pressure light came on Thursday. Had oil changed and light went off. Light came on again yesterday while driving home on the freeway. Attempted to drive 10 miles to next exit and car shut down. Dealership attributes the issue due to faulty oil pump with possible clogging due to use of non-synthetic oil. Worst case scenario is the engine has seized. Dealership is tearing down engine to determine damage. Quoted $500 for tear down. Dealership is quoting $5K-$8K worst case to rebuild the engine. Has anyone had any success with refurbished engine parts? Is this even an option?