Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007+ Infiniti G35

Comments

• nightflynightfly Member Posts: 3
    For the iPod, connect using an iPod-specific NTSC cable with the yellow/red/blue output jacks on the other end.

Plays great music, although I haven't been able to get video or still pictures to work yet. Let me know if you have any better luck.

thanks
  • el_chupacabrael_chupacabra Member Posts: 17
    guys im about to buy one at 23.5 its an 06 with 18,000 miles it has a sunroof and the whole deal should i pull the tigger
  • smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    Has anyone used the SignatureGRADUATE financing for new graduates? Obviously rates will vary by individual credit but anyone know how much this can save?
  • gjetsot07gjetsot07 Member Posts: 4
    It sucks that you can't play MP3s from the trunk 6 disc changer. I was hoping to store tons of albums on MP3 and never touch the disc changer. Oh well, I guess that's what the Hard Drive is for!
  • kring5kring5 Member Posts: 144
    And the Compact Flash slot too! Grab a few 2GB cards to swap out, or go nuts with one 8GB card for $130!
  • rsivarajanrsivarajan Member Posts: 10
    Can you record compressed files onto the HD? The sales agent told me that they would be wav files. I haven't tried the record setting but it seems a bit tedious to hit the record button for every song you want to write to the HD.
  • dr007ncdr007nc Member Posts: 1
    try getting a 42,000 bmw - it may not come with seats. 54k for one at the local dealer - and it doesnt even have a nav system in it !
  • figment843figment843 Member Posts: 6
    I haven't connected my ipod yet, however I hooked up a portable DVD player using the AUX. It will play the audio with no problem, but in order to view your movie on the front screen, you need to have the parking brake in affect.
    My big issue with the music box is you cannot scroll through the albums while driving...which can be a huge pain when you have a bunch of albums stored.

I do love this car, but I did have to take it back to the dealer within the first 2 weeks... One of the problems I had, which Infiniti could not yet fix is rubber side strips on the sunroof. They become loose and come out when the roof is open. Also, wheel locks would be nice.
    nightfly,

How did the sunroof problem show up? Do you have to open it to see it? It's been cold on the east coast so I've only opened the sunroof a few times.

BTW, the iPod has a quirky mapping for the aux cables. That's why I thought I needed something special. Check out this site for more info:
    http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2005/11/18/video-ipod.html
    rsivarajan,
    The sunroof problen showed up when my firends & i decided to take it for a test drive on a straightaway. It drove like a dream, but my friend in the back noticed the flapping. It is easy to put back into place, however, it should not be THAT easy to come back out. The sunroof was tilted up, not fully opened BTW. If you keep the sunroof shut, you will not notice anything wrong, and hopefully, it is just on MY car and not yours!
  • ebg35ebg35 Member Posts: 16
    Just received my 2007 G35x with Nav and it is a complete thrill to drive and overall it is an excellent car including the audio system, but there are some quirks with the audio that I will list here. I have not contacted Infiniti about these yet, but if anyone knows answers or workarounds to these quirks I would greatly appreciate a response.

Audio Quirks

1. Music Box Scrolling - It drives me nuts that I cannot scroll through songs and then hit enter to select a song much like I can do on an iPod. If you scroll, it changes the song as you scroll.

2. Music Box searching or lack there of while moving - Search is only allowed when the car is stopped. I understand that this is probably good for safety reasons, but can this be overridden? I need to search most when I have a passenger in the car to operate the search for me. They have a sensor that can tell if an adult is in the passenger seat - perhaps if it senses a person in the seat, it could allow more functionality while moving.

3. 6 Disc CD Changer and Song Titles - The 6 disc changer does not read song titles or disc titles. This one is not that big of a deal, but it is odd that it doesn't act like the in-dash player (this is with Nav so changer is in the trunk).

4. New CD's and Music Titles on Music Box - Inevitably the newest CD's released will not be covered with the on board GraceNote service so they will appear without titles. The manual states that you can update song titles through the CF card and slot and to go to www.infiniti.com for directions. I cannot find any directions on how to do this at their website.

5. Can't transfer music from CF to Music Box - Several car reviews said this could be done, but to Infiniti's credit, I cannot find any literature from them that said this is possible. Still, this should be an easy way to load up MP3's instead of ripping CD's 1 by 1.

6. Satelite Radio channel surfing - It is a bit annoying that I cannot use the control wheel and screen to visually see the XM channels and scroll to the one I want. I can change using the seek buttons, but I'm new to XM so I don't really know the stations yet. A visual would be great.

Phone Quirk:

1. Changing Phones while moving - Again, when I have a passenger in the car, I would like more functionality like being able to change the car to connect with my wife's cell phone instead of mine while we are both in the car.

Those are the only quirks I can think if right now. If you have others or you have comments or solutions, please let me know. Again, I love this car and honestly these things are little quirks that are "nice-to-haves". The abundance of music options means that I never really have a lack of music to listen to, but perhaps the functionality could be tweaked just slightly to make it that much better.

Thanks
  • hswhsw Member Posts: 26
    What's the point of having the CF card if you can't transfer music?
    It is basically there to act as another source of music. You can play and listen to MP3's on the CF card, but you can't transfer to the music box. Playing MP3's from the CF is nice because I'm using it to hold my newer CD's that GraceNote doesn't supply the names for. So, I can have the names on the CF and listen to them through the CF, but I still can't get the music or the names onto the MusicBox. Perhaps there is a way to do this or a fix in the works, but I haven't figured it out yet.
    I recently ran into this, though haven't tried it out. Go to infiniti.com and go to the owners site. You have to put in your VIN number to register. Once there, under the "G" section, they have a link to download an application that will update MP3 information for files on the CF.
    Thanks for the info. I just went and downloaded the software and was successful tranferring titles from my computer to the MusicBox through the CF card. So this solves issue number 4. But I still cannot tranfser MP3's songs themselves from the CF to the MusicBox.

One note on the software from Infiniti...it defaults to "Use Internet Explorer" as the connection setting. I tried this on two PC's and it tried to pull up a dial-up connection setting. To fix, go into Connection Settings, uncheck "Use Internet Explorer setting" and then check "Use LAN Connection" and disable your PROXY if you are not using one.

Thanks for the help on solving #4.
    So you can transfer "titles" thru the CF card but not MP3's? Can you explain what you mean by this. Thanks.
    Yes. The music box displays the album title, artist, and song title for each CD you load up on it. It does so through a built-in CDDB program from GraceNote. However, new CD's are not in the built-in database so they show up with no titles or artist. Infiniti thought through this one by allowing you to move any and all albums with no info onto a CF card. I then take the CF card to my PC and through software they provide, I can update the titles on the CF card. I then take the CF card back to my car and I can upload the Artist and Title information onto the MusicBox for the songs I have already ripped to my Music Box from a CD.

This is just the artist/title only, it is not the actual music. I can also add MP3's to my CF card from my PC. These MP3's will play through the card slot through the stereo. You basically cycle through all the music playing options from CD player, to 6-disc changer, to MusicBox, to AUX, to Compact Flash, etc. However, I want to take the MP3 (the actual music/song) from my CF card to the MusicBox harddrive and this is not supported.

So, I have MP3's on my PC that I bought from say ITunes (they are in apples format, but you can convert to MP3 and move them to CD or CF card) but I have no way of getting those songs onto the Music Box. I can play them from the CF card, but not from the MusicBox. Also, you cannot rip MP3's from CD to the MusicBox. So, you can only move music from an actual CD (.wav format for the songs) to the MusicBox. No MP3's.

Sorry for the long post, but I hope that clarifies things and makes sense.
    Thanks for clearing that up. So if we can't transfer mp3's, will the song and artist be identifed when playing mp3's on the cf card?
    Correct. We cannot transfer MP3's. The song and artist will show on MP3's on the CF card and you can scroll through folders, song titles, etc. on the CF card inside the car.
  • broken_spokebroken_spoke Member Posts: 1
    So far I have found that the process of down loading music onto the music box is slow, but not as slow and troublesome as I thought it would be. To download you have to put a cd into the dash cd player, it will not record from the changer. On a positive side the recording process is quicker than the actual playing of the CD, from what I can guess it takes about 1/3 the time. Also, you do not have to listen to the CD while it records. You can listen to XM, radio, or other stuff on the music box while the cd records. All in all I'm impressed with the car, it has few things that could be better, but I feel the positives outweigh the bad.
    No doubt. I think the car is awesome. Truly it is a 9.8 out of 10 overall and the extra .2 is just quirks with the music system. The good news is that these are simple software changes if they decide to do them (some of these were by design for safety too). Putting CD's onto the MusicBox is easy as you say. I'm just kicking myself for buying music on iTunes because it is proving to be tough to move to other devices like the car. I can still listen to my iTunes music through the CF card in the car and the MusicBox is great for all my CD's. Again, I think the car is fabulous, I just want to see if anyone can figure out workarounds to make it a tad bit more convenient.
  • diesel2029diesel2029 Member Posts: 11
    Noticed that the trunk 6 CD changer does not play mp3s. Not much of a problem since the CF slot is there up front, but nice to have.
    Has anyone had trouble with the voice activiated phonebook? My entries got erased 3 times already! (They last about a week, then POOF, they're gone). It is annoying to have to re-record each name into the database. I have no idea what causes this, I was going to call infiniti, but if anyone has any suggstions, it would be a great help. Thanks!
  • mann9mann9 Member Posts: 5
    Wanting to get back to using a manual but have read some negative remarks regarding the manual tranny on the new G. Any comments, inside info to share?
  • georgeg02georgeg02 Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased a 2007 G35 Journey Sedan.

The owners manual says I should get a key number plate in addition to my two intelligent keys. The key number plate is a little tag with a number so you can get a replacement if your keys are lost.

I didn't receive one and the dealer tells me the manual is incorrect and that Infinity no longer provides this with the 2007 G35 Sedan.

Is that the experience of others who purchased a 2007 G35 Sedan? Please let me know.

If anyone has any questions on this car let me know. So far, I love it!

George
  • calif_mancalif_man Member Posts: 4
    I got the key number plate for my 07 G35 sedan.
    Thanks Calif Man!

George
    I received a key number plate too with my 2007.
  • shooter43shooter43 Member Posts: 6
    I didn't get one either. Guess I better call the dealer about that.

My 2005 TL was stolen so I picked up a g35. At first I was a little appehensive (loved the TL) but the g35 has been a joy to drive. Much better handling and I love the tech... If I can only figure out how to hack the navigation I will have no regrets. Acura's navigation is so intuitive. And the fact that you can input/search addresses while driving was so convenient (although a little dangerous too, I might add) Anyone have any luck with a hack?
    I called my dealer and at least got the key code from them.
    They tell me if you lose your intelligent keys, the dealer has access to your key code based on your vin.

The owners manual say Infinity doesn't maintain key code records.

Other than this little mess, I love the car so far with about 100 miles.
  • bimmereeaterbimmereeater Member Posts: 2
    Hey guys, I saw that that g35x is a bit heavier than the journey and the sport model which I already knew but I was just wondering if there's gonna be any noticable differences in the performance between these 3. Thanks.
  • pearlpearl Member Posts: 336
    the difference in weight is a couple of hundred pounds. If you were closely timing it with all other things being equal, the awd model would be a little slower in acceleration and use a little more gas (EPA mileage is one mpg less in the awd model if I recall). Most people wouldn't notice it in every day driving. The bigger question is do you really need awd? There are endless arguments about better handling, etc, but again, for most people in most everyday situations, they will never notice one way or the other. If you live in a serious snow area, then awd is obviously better, but if you live where it only snows occasionally, you may be better off with the rwd model.
    Besides the snow, we usually get icy roads during the winter. That was what prompted me to get the AWD. With RWD (vs. FWD) I would be doing dougnuts all over the place!
  • diesel2029diesel2029 Member Posts: 11
    Does the AWD get activated when the car detects any slip or do you need to hit the snow mode button to turn it on ?? How fast can you drive the car with snow mode on ??
  • mnrep2mnrep2 Member Posts: 200
    It is permanent AWD, no driver intervention required. You can drive any speed you want in snow mode. Snow mode locks the torque split 50/50 from 0-29 MPH and then allows normal operation. It also retards throttle response so you can't break traction as easliy.
    Argh! I've only had this baby for about two weeks and have 800 miles on it. This morning the "Service Engine Soon" light came on. Reading the manual, it seems like a benign emission problem since the warning light is constantly on (vs blincking or on then blinking). I've taken out the fuel cap and made sure that it was securely on and will see how it goes for a few rides as the manual suggests. After that, I'll take it to the dealer.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? Thanks.
  • dsm363dsm363 Member Posts: 1
    I've looked through the thread and was wondering if anyone could comment on connecting an iPod. I test drove the 2007 G35 but they didn't have the cable to connect to my 1st gen iPod nano. The sales person said you can connect your iPod via a cable in the glove compartment and that you see all artist/song info on the navigation screen and that you can control the songs with the wheel under the screen (one used for the navigation system). Is this true and does it basically have the ipod interface? Can you scroll through your playlist and select songs while driving on your iPod? Thanks!
  • kring5kring5 Member Posts: 144
    dsm363 - The 07's have no known iPod interface. There is a generic RCA (Red & white) connection in the arm rest that you can pipe the audio through... this is a big complaint that's going around, not only is there no integration, there is no fully functional aftermarket or OEM alternative released yet.
  • sprinkler13sprinkler13 Member Posts: 452
    I suspect that they didn't concern themselves too much with a fully functional interface since they offer a built in hard drive and they probably want you to use that first and the aux input as a last choice.
  • arizonajoearizonajoe Member Posts: 123
    I'm amazed at how ignorant and/or dishonest salespeople are. This guy actually told you could connect an iPod and control it through the navigation screen! That burns me.

A salesman at Infiniti of Scottsdale insisted that all G35s have the Music Box, irrespective of whether you have the navigation system.

We know more about these cars than the typical salesman, and it always puzzles me. You would think salesmen would be car guys, reading all the same stuff we read (plus all the manufacturer inside info), but they don't.

The lack of full iPod integration is a major weakness of the G35 (and of most cars), since the Music Box has too many flaws to serve as a substitute: no searching while driving forces you to listen to the same album; and you have to use antiquated, low-quality file formats like MP3.
  • pearlpearl Member Posts: 336
    You should post this on the "Tales from the Sales Front Lines" (or whatever that board is called). Way too many very arrogant sales folks on there. I am sure that not all are that way, but enough are to cause posts like the one you wrote.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Actually, the sales folks who participate here are quite knowledgeable and, for the most part, very helpful. I agree that there are a lot of salespeople in the world who don't know their product, and who mislead customers unintentionally or not, but the ones hanging around here generally do not fall into that category.
  • phairphairphairphair Member Posts: 39
    What that salesperson told you is absolutely, 100% untrue.

There are RCA-type inputs in the armrest that will allow you to connect your iPod via a cable you must supply yourself. The audio may be accessed by using the auxiliary input on the stereo console, but the iPod may only be controlled from the iPod itself.

The G35 does not have any dedicated iPod interface and you certainly can't control it through the onboard screen. The "AUX" input on the car's stereo is "dumb" in the sense that it doesn't know what is attached to it. You could connect a turntable and make it play through your car's stereo.
  • jjraiders45jjraiders45 Member Posts: 5
    Does the hard drive come on all models? I'm looking to purchase the 07 Journey with the Premium package, but don't really care for the nav. Would the music box come on that version? Thank you.
  • orbitwhiteorbitwhite Member Posts: 9
    I test drove the 2007 G35 sedan and like it a lot. I was wondering what the difference is between a M35 and '07 G35 sedan? Even the salesperson said the 2007 G35 has most of the features of a M? Besides the M being a few inches bigger, they almost seem like the same car to me! One scenario I was considering was a preown 2006 M35 vs 2007 G35 sedan. I think the preown M35 may come in lower cost than the new G35. Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks.
  • arizonajoearizonajoe Member Posts: 123
    The Music Box is only available as part of the Navigation Package ($2100).
    You can change musicbox albums while driving and I do. However, you have to scroll and scroll and scroll which is probably more dangerous than being able to search which is not allowed due to safety reasons. It is ironic that the way to change albums while driving is more dangerous (because it takes longer) than allowing you to search while driving.
  • factfinderfactfinder Member Posts: 103
    Why doesn't Infiniti install fog lights at the bottom of the front fascia on the G? This drives me nuts...
  • hope3702hope3702 Member Posts: 15
    What is the dis-advantage of using the CF vs the hard drive? Can I buy a card and manage my music on that? Also can it read AAC files?
  • marvelmmarvelm Member Posts: 28
    How different is the driving experince on G35 sedan Journey vs. sport? I test drove Journey yesterday and I was really satisfied with it. I haven't had a chance to test drive the sport model yet. Any input from those of you who have driven both? Thanks in advance.