Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2007+ Infiniti G35

Comments

• Options
    scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    The 5-Speed also adds to that "swell" feeling.
    I had heard of it while researching but didn't really pick up on it while on my 45 minute test drive.

Now that I own one, I see what they are calling "swell"
    There is this constant feel of endless power under the pedal, at any speed, and is most noticable while cruising in 5th on the highway.
    That feeling may be lost with higher gears/lower revs.

This car was designed this way, and is meant to be driven as a "Performance Sedan"
    Leave the higher gears and numb feelings where they belong, in the "family sedans"
  • Options
    bruceomegabruceomega Member Posts: 250
    6 speed compared to 5 speed allows you to have both- close ratios for performance and a taller gear for the highway. If 6 speeds was not worth it, why does Infiniti offer a 6 speed vice 5 speed in their manual?

Someone on the M35/M45 forum explained that the 5 speed auto used in those cars (same as in the G35?) was close ratio, so it is responsive, but just lacks a taller gear for the highway. It would not seem like adding 1 gear would add that much weight.

The whole thing can get a lot more complicated than the number of gear ratios in the transmission; e.g., powerband of the engine, operating speed of the vehicle, wide ratio 6 speed versus close ratio 6 speed, etc.

In the end, it all boils down to the market and customer demand / expectations. If owners are happy with the 5 speed auto, then there is no reason to change.

In my own case, just for my own preferences, now that I have lived with a 6 speed performance automatic I would have a very hard time considering a 5 speed.

Thanks
    Bruce
  • Options
    Anyone else see that the G was found to have some of the lowest vehicle fatality rates? :D
    money.cnn.com report

IIHS Ratings for the 07 G35
  • Options
    desidoggdesidogg Member Posts: 26
    Yes, I saw that too...

But its surprising that the worst car on that list is the 300 ZX. Considering that car is very similar to the g35 coupe, it raises a lot of questions about the accuracy and reliability of the rankings. Basically the rankings doesnt mean squat but is more dependent on your driving characteristics. The rankings my have value when you are considering cars in the same class (with similar driver tendencies).
  • Options
    desidoggdesidogg Member Posts: 26
    Yes, the road noise is a problem. Its no better than in my 03 Altima, which was a disappoint to me. It is not lexus quiet.

This is one item that Infiniti clearly needs to improve in next years version. I love my g35 but I would love it even more if it was quieter.
  • Options
    py777py777 Member Posts: 62
    You are talking about a 2007 G35 Sedan? :confuse:
  • Options
    dafinmandafinman Member Posts: 8
    I just did an oil change on my new G35x. I did a little reading first and was prepared to remove the lower engine cover to gain access to the area. I was pleasantly surprised to find that there is an small opening(4X6 ish) below the drain plug and a small flip down panel below the filter which can be opened after removing 3-10MM bolts. The only thing that surprised me was that the filter access was not wide enough so that the oil could drain out when the filter was being removed. The oil actually drained from the cutout under the oil drain pan after it ran off the towel I had placed under it to keep the oil off the panel. This may be because I had the car on ramps and it was tilted backward. I was a minor thing and very easy to work around. This problem may not exist in the non-awd models - I know they have the filter in a different location.
  • Options
    My 2007 G35x is driven in New England... through worn back country roads and down the dreaded turnpike.

My G is as quiet as a church mouse.
    I'm actually pleasantly surprised at just how quiet it is.
    Way more quiet than our 06 Acura MDX.
  • Options
    Basically the rankings doesnt mean squat but is more dependent on your driving characteristics.

Of course.
    If every G35 owner did 145 down the left lane in heavy traffic every day, it's rating would drop sooner or later. That's an obvious conclusion.

The point of the report is to show that over the past few yearsunder normal, the G is near the top of the list.

If everyone takes their Gs out and drives them into a wall at 120 mph, yeah... that rating may fall.
  • Options
    erinb510erinb510 Member Posts: 22
    Anyone know what small changes will be made for the 2008 G35 sedan?

Just curious. I know the coupe is being re-designed.
  • Options
    kring5kring5 Member Posts: 144
    there won't be any major changes. it will stay a 3.5 engine (some are rumoring the coupes 3.7 might go in, but that was squashed recently by someone at Nissan)

I've heard the Bose SOW system will get a minor upgrade with a mode for driver only - which when you're by yourself the system can do some fancy-pants magic on the sound to make it centered around the driver, apparently it will sound like the left side of the system is 2 feet outside the door.

Nissan/Infiniti is fantastic at nailing it right the first time, so I highly doubt you will see any changes except for those that come out through services issues, i.e. the grille will probably be made of better material. also change is very expensive, in order to stay competitive and not increase the price of the car they don't change their products unless it's absolutely necessary (usually only for fixing issues)

For 2009 you will probably see a minor refresh which usually consists of tweaking the headlights and tail lights to distinguish the car to those with a careful eye.
  • Options
    the grille will probably be made of better material

I hope so.
    No chips yet, but I'm only sitting at 400 miles.
    Sooner or later.... :cry:

If they improve the grille, I'm first in line to order one.
  • Options
    Stereophile.com article

"For '08, we have it worked out so that when you're driving solo (or feeling selfish), you can flick a switch and center the image for the driver. The left speaker moves virtually to about 4' outside the left door. Now that's impressive."
  • Options
    3000 Miles and < 2Months and I have several chips om my grill. :(
  • Options
    Bring it to their attention at your maintenance visit.
    A lot of the owners are reporting that they are being replaced for free, after bringing it to their attention.

Personally, nothing this good ever happens to me, but give it a try.

I can't wait until there is a real metal chrome replacement.
    I'm not liking the thought of plastic and the potential for chips.

You can also take pics and write a letter to Infiniti.
    One of the 'other forum' members got a reply from Infiniti urging the owners of G's with this problem to write in.
    Only after so many complaints are received will a TSB and replacement be made available to everyone.
  • Options
    I wanted a liner in my trunk so I can lug around my golf clubs without the thought of damaging the carpet in my lovely G.
    I also hate when stuff like washer fuild spills out in the trunk, or if you have wet stuff to throw back there.

I ordered a WeatherTech trunk liner and it came yesterday.
    Took all of 10 seconds to get in place and it fits awesome.

Just thought I'd put the info out there to my fellow G lovers.

WeatherTech Trunk Liner
  • Options
    Did you go on top of or replace the carpeted liner? Do you have a pic? I've been debating going with this liner.
  • Options
    It sits right on top of the current carpeting in the trunk.
    I can take some pics and post them soon.

I choked at the $109 price, but once I got it in the car... it's worth it.
  • Options
    Here's some pics:
  • Options
    Could you point us to the link where the Nissan people squashed the idea of G37 sedan for next year? Thanks.
  • Options
    Wow, very nice! your not kidding that they did a good job on it, the fit around the edges of the wheel well was where I was most concerned it would have a quality issue, but that's definitely a perfect fit.

I'll be ordering mine today!
  • Options
    It's on another forum so it would not be appropriate to post. it looks legitimate because the person showed pictures of a final-build G37 Coupe in his driveway.
  • Options
    Yeah, it fits nice.
    I have my First Aid kit on one side and the Manual package on the other.
    Both have velcro on the backside which allows it to stick to the wall, so they don't slide around.
  • Options
    Sure would like to get a wallpaper size of that picture of the long-term test sedan doing the burnout.
  • Options
    I am lost now. What do you mean that he has a G37 Coupe, so it looks legit that he knows there will be no G37 Sedan? My dealer just told me that it could be the last year of G35. I am suppose to pick up the car this Sat., this bothers me a bit.
  • Options
    figment843figment843 Member Posts: 6
    Hello fellow G35 owners. I am so sorry to post this not wonderful news about my 2007 G35. I got my Car Oct 2006. Within the 2nd week I was back at the dealer with a LIST of problems. They were able to fix most of them... about a month later I was back with some of the same problems, (rubber lining of sunroof pops out, my Nav screen started to drop, inner door panel popped out when I closed the door, rubber lining around entire car was not in place, and all my voice commands would erase without warning). Long story short... I was told I had a bluetooth problem, they replaced my bluetooth, but it did not fix the issue of the voice commands erasing. I brought it back yet again, they replaced my hard drive... still no fix, and not only that, I had to deal with XM because infiniti forgot to tell them they replaced my HD. Anyway, I started a file with consumer affairs as instructed by the dealership... this was a LONG process which took months and finally today I got a call saying there is nothing they could do, just take it into the dealer and have them continue to work on my car. This was my very 1st car, and I have had the worst experience. I think the car drives amazingly, but I will never get another Infiniti again. So sorry to post, but I needed to vent about my lemon.
  • Options
    smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    Doesn't sound like a lemon... sounds like typical first model year problems. I wouldn't buy one unless you can stomach all the bugs.
  • Options
    triple_7triple_7 Member Posts: 63
    My new G is coming sometime next week. It will be my first new car purchase. Ive had lots of used cars, some good and some that only lasted four to six months. I guess you get what you pay for. On that note, paying over 35 thousand for a car, it needs to work as required. i can deal with a few quirks here and there but it sounds like you are having tons of little problems that are more of a hassle and loss of your time then they are safety issues. still no excuse for that. Im sure you've done this already, but keep detailed documentation of your attempts and names of all the people you have talked to that have not given you satisfactory answers. if the problems continue or get worse, you want to be able to show how long these problems have been going on and that it is not the first time bringing it in. :lemon:

I hope that im lucky enough to get a G that does not give any problems. it will kill my total experience of my first NEW car and I might have to go back to buying peoples leftovers. :sick:
  • Options
    smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    I still think if you look at any manufacturer you'll see these nuisance problems in the first year of a new model or redesign. You're absolutey right... it shouldn't happen.... especially for what cars cost these days. But unfortunately it does with all of them. My first new car was a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder, the first year of a redesign, and I went through the same problems. For example, the steering wheel started making a rubbing noise as it was turned, the outside temperature sensor read higher than actual, the rear suspension bottomed out when fully loaded with 4 people with a loud thunk as you went over a bump, the transmission flared on the 1-2 & 2-3 shift, etc., etc.... Sound like lemon? Maybe, but anyone will tell you not to buy the first model year of any vehicle. Why do I still love my Pathfinder? Because all of these things were fixed in the first year with TSBs, I didn't pay a dime, and it's been a great vehicle since he bugs were worked out. Again, you shouldn't have to deal with taking the car in for these things but if you don't want to... buy a 2008 G35. That's the only alternative. I however will soon be in the same boat with a 2007 sedan. I can only say, keep up with the forums like this and they will make your life much easier, especially that first year. Check www.infinitihelp.com often and print the TSBs for free in case you develop that problem later. You'll see there are already several and people receiving the G35s now will never see some of the problems people were seeing just a few short months ago because they've been discovered & production has changed. In the end you'll find everything will settle down and the 2008 owners will reap the benefits sowed by the 2007 "guinea pigs."
  • Options
    Today is the first time I've taken the car out in actual rain. It's seen showers, but it was full-out raining this morning.
    I got to work and parked in the garage and after backing into my spot, I noticed tons of steam coming up from the front end.
    I looked down at my temp gauge and all is normal.
    I popped the hood, got out and checked around the car.
    There's nothing leaking, nothing dripping, steam smells clean and not like antifreeze.... has me thinking that the car was just hot and the rain caused the steam.

Note: the last 5 minutes of my commute is mostly sitting in traffic and at stop lights, and I hit no puddles on my way into the parking lot and garage, so there seems to be no explanation for all the steam.

Anyone else driven in the rain, and noticed the G steaming when they have stopped?
    I took a video of it on my phone in case this is some sort of problem.... but with nothing leaking and temp where it should be, I'm stumped.
    I've never seen a car steam this much just from rain.

Anyone else seen this? :confuse:
  • Options
    That's normal, mine does it too, I first noticed it when washing the car, if you spray water into the grille you will get a good amount of steam coming out the front of the grille. Not sure what, but something very close to the grille is very hot.
  • Options
    Phew... I've been worried. LOL :sick:

Ya know, I'd love to get out of my $40K car, and not have it be looked at some some sort of POS, cause it's steaming in the rain.

At least it's not broken.
    Thanks K :D
  • Options
    irvsteroniirvsteroni Member Posts: 56
    Sorry to hear about this. Bummer! I purchased mine in late December 06 and haven't had any issues except for the sunroof and the lining you mention. By consumer affairs, do you mean the Infiniti Consumer division? I would have thought they would respond to your concerns better and quicker. I wrote multiple letters to one manufacturer one time and they did address all my issues with that vehicle-it'd be a shame if Infiniti didn't do the same for you in this instance.
  • Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    ". . . .and not have it be looked at some some sort of POS. . . ."

By whom? If you're comfortable with why the car steams, why on earth should what some passerby thinks matter?

Either way, it sounds like it's not an issue.

Good to know.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    If you're comfortable with why the car steams, why on earth should what some passerby thinks matter?

That's just it... I'm not comfortable with my beautiful brand new G looking like it's about to blow up, just cuase it's raining.

I'm happy that nothing is wrong with it, but no more comfortable about what it looks like.

Let me be perfectly clear, it was a lot of steam.
    Looked like a scene from a movie,when a car overheats or something.
  • Options
    I know that the grille will get its share of chips, but I've also been reading a lot about the paint chipping in some odd places like the side panels and trunk areas. some owners are also experiencing rust due to the chip breaking the primer.
    anyone here experiencing this with there G. Picking mine up sunday and this scares me a bit. Clear bra anyone???
  • Options
    slurisluri Member Posts: 37
    so i picked up my g35x/prem/nav/tech couple of days ago. with my luck it was raining that eve and rained for another couple of days. has anyone noticed that while driving on a highway the new wipers actually bring some water back into your vision on the down swing? I know they have the flat wipers and i wasn't sure if it was because of this but, on the drivers side as the wiper goes up pushes the water to the pillar, but then on its way down some of that water follows the wiper back into my vision. it is distracting to me cause i keep watching that instead of the road :P

also to those who have problems with the model being a first year and little probs etc. that is the sole reason why i started leasing. i used to get so upset when i bought a car and there was a chip or something was out of line. Now, with leasing, i care, but not really, i don't loose sleep over it.
    sluri
  • Options
    Don't worry so much about what the other people are seeing in terms of paint chips.
    If you take care of it, you'll have no issues.

I hand wash my car every chance I get, even when it's not looking dirty.
    Take time while doing it and watch everywhere you hand goes.

Any time you see a chip, fix it immediately.
    Chips happen.
    These new paints they're using just plain stink.

I'm SOOooooo happy I got my 3M installed.
    The 06 MDX is already showing battle scars.
    I hope the G's front forcefield holds the chips at bay.
  • Options
    My wipers work flawlessly.
    I do have RainX on my windows though.
    Necer had the chance to drive in the rain before applying it.
  • Options
    Hey everyone

Just a heads up.
    I haven't seen it mentioned here, but there are some owners experiencing issues with the keyfobs leaving them stranded.
    You can use the key to get in, but even with the fob in it's slot, the car never sees it and won't start.
    (Hasn't happened to me yet, knock on wood)

Anyway, Infiniti is now saying it's caused by keeping your fob too close to your cell phone, and the phone deletes the code in the fob.
    For some, just having the fob in the right pocket and the cell phone on a belt clip has been enough to cause issues.
    Infiniti is supposed to be working on a solution and possibly supplying new fobs, but in the meantime, they are asking us to keep our fobs away from our phones.

I'll keep you posted as I learn more.
  • Options
    silverg35silverg35 Member Posts: 1
    I traded in my 03 Maxima for a G35 sedan w/premium pkg. yesterday. Car drives like a rocket. I have never had to spend so much time looking down at the speedometer slowing down, as 80 mph on the highway feels like 50 mph on my old Maxima. If you are not paying attention you can reach 90+ mph quite easily and it feels like you are barely touching the gas.

No chips on front grill, just a collection of dead bugs from driving near the everglades. Woke up at 5:30AM waiting for the sun to come up to program my bluetooth and home link. Now just need to find a window tint place open on Sunday...
  • Options
    Since you mentioned tint, are you going to go with Ceramic Tint?
    I'm curious what you end up paying.
  • Options
    drmail3000drmail3000 Member Posts: 5
    Yesterday I got new tires afterwards a strange thing happened.
    Always after I turn the ignition to off and open the door to leave the car, all 4 windows open after a few seconds.
    If I turn the ignition to off and stay in the car after app. 45 seconds all windows open. I assume the Auto reverse function is activated (Manual 2-41) but I don't know why.
    What happened ?
  • Options
    I'm confused.
    After shutting of the car, you windows open by themselves???
    What's that have to do with the auto-reverse feature?

The remote fob has the ability to open your windows if you hold the unlock button for approx 5 seconds.
    You can also roll the windows up or down using the key, in the door's keyhole.

But they should NOT be opening by themselves.

If that's what's happening, I'd ping the dealership and see what the say.
    You shouldn't have to sit in your car for a minute, waiting for the windows to roll down, just so you can roll them back up! :confuse:
  • Options
    May be a dumb question but rather be on the safe side. The manual says that the g has folding outside mirrors page 3-26. looking at them top and bottom compared to my j30 that had them, they dont seem have visible joints where they would bend. I've moved them gently but am afraid to really tug at them in fear of breaking them only having the car one full day. My garage space is tight with two cars and folding the drivers side will be useful to avoid unnecessary contact with them. can anyone verify this before I break my driver side mirror.

Thanks in advance
  • Options
    ROFL!!!!
    I just tried this last night!
    Yes, they fold in, but not 100% flat like most.
    They also fold out, in case your girl needs to do a quick once over in the mirror without getting back in the car.
  • Options
    I didn't like the yellowish lighting in my G so I just swapped out my interior bulbs with Super-White LEDs.
    I got a 10 pack of bulbs for $30- so I changed the map lights front and back, door lights and the trunk light as well. I got a few left over. I may swap out the license plate bulbs, or may keep these 3 as spares.
    I got the bulbs in the mail yesterday and installed them last night.
    The interior has a whole new look and it's the best interior mod for the money.... highly suggested.
  • Options
    Scott, can you divulge the brand and location where you picked up the bulbs. also is the brightness the same or close enough to OEM?
  • Options
    On E-Bay, I bought an item called
    "Lot of 10 194/168/158 White High-Power LED Lights Bulbs"
    It was sold through HID-Lights.com.
    Our car takes these.
    www.hid-lights.com wants $10- a pair for these, so you need to watch ebay for when they become available again.

I noticed a difference in the amount of light in the trunk, so yeah, they're brighter.
    They're also white, so that adds to the brightness.
  • Options
    astairastair Member Posts: 1
    Please post whether or not you have a coupe or sedan, auto or 6spd, and all relevant 1/4 mile times(60', 1/8mi time and mph and 1/4 mi time and mph).

I read on this site that the G35 Sport Sedan auto went 13.9 in the 1/4 mile and the G35 Sport Sedan 6spd went 14.1 but I believe the 6spd can do more like 13.7 Anyone know for sure?