Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Jimmy Chevy Envoy Fuel Gauge Problem

86K miles.
Wife's car.
When she fills it up, it reads full.
Then, it will read wherever it wants.
We just left a store and it read 3/4. 2 miles later pulling into our driveway it read 1/2.
Any recalls or anyone else have this problem and know the "fix"??
Hope it's not the sender...I don't wanna drop another tank as I recently did on my '91 Jimmy.
TIA
jonny
8-)

Comments

• It's the fuel sending unit.
    I have had a 99 and 2000 Savana, both with this same issue. I've researched the internet to find 1000's of complaints, but very few to GM. People need to call GM and complain! Then maybe they'd figure out there's a problem. Without data from customers, GM won't do squat for those of us that do call them. They assume there's no problem because few people call and complain. Even if you do it yourself or go to an independent mechanic, call GM customer service 800 462-8782 and tell them your issue.
  • Ayup.
    GM knows...there was a TSB but not a recall 'cause it was NOT a "safety issue".
    I STRONLY DISAGREE!!! When my wife is stranded on the interstate up against a "Jersey Barrier" (in the fast lane)during rush hour traffic it IS a "SAFETY ISSUE"!!!
    >8-(

I replaced it myself. Found the sensor online for $68 when all the STEELerships wanted $130.
    One STEELership lied to me and told me I had to buy the whole pump/sensor unit $580!!!!!
    I NEVER bring my cars to STEELerships!!! I do all my own work on my 12 vehicles.
    I mount and balance my own rubber as well.
    The ONLY thing I let someone do is a front end alignment on my wife's car.
    I align all my vehicles myself.
    Oh one other thing...emissions...I have to let a "monkey" drive my BMWs' airdams into the ramps!!!!!!!!!!!1111111
    >8-(
  • adjuster1adjuster1 Posts: 1
    Okay, how do you replace the fuel sending sensor? I have had this problem on our 1997 Chev Blazer, 1998 GMC Jimmy and our 2000 GMC Envoy. Each time we have a transmission worked on, it screws up the gauge. I spent $400 + to repair the Blazer and will not do that again. No we just check th odometer and get a fill up every 200 miles. It would be nice to repair myself.

But How?

Thanks,
    Gary
    Powhatan, VA
  • jonnyringjonnyring Posts: 74
    First order the sender (it attaches to the pump inside the tank.
    On my 200 Envoy..I drove the driver's side of the car up on ramps (as the fuel tank is located on the driver's side inside the frame rail.
    It's best if there is NO FUEL in the tank!!!
    2 metal straps hole it up in place. Spray the thread with PB Blaster for 1/2 a day to soak (one of mine **SNAPPED** and I had to mod./fab. another strap.)
    Slowly drop the tank, cutting any wires ties holding the fuel lines/wires to the frame....along with unclamoing fuel fill/vents and pulling off.
    Once you get 'er down...unhook hoses/wires and slide it out.
    Now remove the pump/sender pickup unit from the tank.
    Remove the faulty sender and install the new...bunch of funky clips and wires that unplug. Reinstall.
    Reverse prosess of tank, using a floor jack and /or 5 gal. buckets/blocks of wood too support it until you can get the straps started to thread.
    My tank was plastic & empty of fuel, but it still was a PITA!
    I saved $600+ doing it myself.
    good luck and report back with your success.
    jonny
    8-)
  • snowstorm1snowstorm1 Posts: 11
    hi I have a 2000 envoy with the same prob fuel gauge bounces all over the place. I know its the sensor but the Steelership wants like 200 bux, so if you can remember where you got that sensor can you please email me or post it
    thanks
    PS got another prob also Passenger low beam burnt out (HID) anyone know of anyplace I can get a new one. steelership wants like 850
    Thanks
    Snowstorm1
    darn, I don't remember, but I have a few bookmarks:

link title
    SK1188 Fuel Lvl Sensor Kit $140.17 $82.51
    Fuel Sending Switch;Except Sender, robust fuel sys (K53); Years: 2000-2000;Qty Per Vehicle

link title

Item Price Core Total
    ACDELCO Part # SK1186 {#19121293}
    SENSOR KIT,FUEL LVL 4 DOOR; w/o SENDER,ROBUST FUEL SYS (K53)

$77.79 $0.00 $77.79
    ACDELCO Part # SK1188 {#19121300}
    SENSOR KIT,FUEL LVL 2 DOOR; w/o SENDER,ROBUST FUEL SYS (K53)

$82.79 $0.00 $82.79
  • I was wondering if you ever got the problem taken care of. I am in the process of sewing GM but am interested in starting a class action suit which only takes two people. Please email me back and let me know.
  • Ayup.
    GM knows...there was a TSB but not a recall 'cause it was NOT a "safety issue".
    I STRONLY DISAGREE!!! When my wife is stranded on the interstate up against a "Jersey Barrier" (in the fast lane)during rush hour traffic it IS a "SAFETY ISSUE"!!!
    >8-(

I replaced it myself. Found the sensor online for $68 when all the STEELerships wanted $130.
    One STEELership lied to me and told me I had to buy the whole pump/sensor unit $580!!!!!
    I NEVER bring my cars to STEELerships!!! I do all my own work on my 12 vehicles.
    What your email??
    I'm pissed as hell @ GM for not repairing this under a TSB warranty!
    j.foster62@juno.com
  • I have had one replaced under warr on our 2005 and just had to pay for the one to get fixed on our 2006. The 2005 gauge is having issues again and now out of warr. Where do I sign up?
  • i'M STILL WAITING FOR AN EMAIL from toyia1 ????? :surprise:
  • Hi all

I just did my 2000 envoy's sending unit an dit cost me like 200 and 1.1 hrs labour

the kit can be bought right at any chev/gmc dealer . its not the whole sending /pump its just called a repair kit

hope this helps my fellow gmc/chev ppl out there
    Snowman
  • tHAT'S GREAT...I did mine for $68.
    The only reason for me to walk into a STealership would be to BURN IT DOWN!!!!!
  • owngmowngm Posts: 1
    You mention transmission work and fuel sensor failing. Do you know what caused it? I just had 2001 tranny replaced (102000 mi) by dealer and when I picked it up the fuel gauge no longer works. Needless to say they claim that nothing they did had anything to do with it. Those sensors just go bad at the drop of a hat. I don't think so. Too much of a coincidence.
  • I would have to say "coincidence" as well. They fail. Why? No clue.
    I don't think any tranny work could've caused it as it's inside the tank.
    Maybe they gave the tank a good HIT, but it's plastic and should absorb the blow.
    BUT, you never know...it was due to go and an "innocent" hit could have been the straw that broke the preverbial camels back.
    jonny
    8-)
  • omowbrayomowbray Posts: 1
    Hello,

My envoy fuel guage problem was similar to those mentioned - eratic needle, only works at certain levels.

Anywho, just wanted to write that the cost for the float level sensor through our local mechanic was $139. The labor was about $400. Total cost was $539. While this may seem high, we've been using the same mechanic for the last 14 years, so I have to beleive they were fair.

Anyways, now this info is available for those looking.
  • trip4trip4 Posts: 1
    New to the list. My 05 Envoy fuel gauge is on the fritz as others have stated. Our 3-year warranty ran out in January, yet only has 29,000 miles. Can I fix this myself? If so, where do I get the part and how do I do it? If not, what will it cost and what do I tell them to fix in order to not have them do things that are not needed.

Thanks.
    "Can I fix this myself? If so, where do I get the part and how do I do it? If not, what will it cost and what do I tell them to fix in order to not have them do things that are not needed. "

I'm assuming you read all the previous threads??
    It's preetty much explained in detail I do believe??
  • macsduecemacsduece Posts: 1
    My wife's car is a 2000 Jimmy. We have had the sending unit replaced but still have a fuel gauge that fluctuates DAILY!!. Can anyone help with suggestions as to what the cause could be. Thank you and have a great day. Look forward to anyone's help in this matter.

Allen
  • I'm having the same issue with the fuel gauge on my 2005 GMC Envoy. I can register 1/4 a tank but the minute I fill, the gauge drops below empty and the fuel light comes on. I have to drive at least 25 miles to have it register even a 1/4 of a tank and a full 70-85 miles for the gauge to get to show a more accurate level. The mechanic I went to admitted it was the fuel level sensor causing the issue but advised me that I had to replace the entire fuel pump. He quoted $505 for the fuel pump and an additional $360 for the labor. Can you say "rip off"?! Keep in mind, this same shop charged me separate labor charges on a routine oil change and tune-up to the tune of $526!!! :mad:
  • "$505 for the fuel pump and an additional $360 for the labor."

Can you say "Bull$hit!!"
    There was a "silent recall "on the senders.
    I bought a sender only on line for around $85.
    Replaced it myself. (2000 GMC Envoy)
    STEALERSHIP said "entire pump" as well and wanted $850+ to do the job.

Check your year and model.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1362888,parttype,10729

ACDELCO Part # SK1186 {#19121293}
    SENSOR KIT,FUEL LVL 4 DOOR; w/o ROBUST FUEL SYS SENDER(K53)
    $95.79
    ACDELCO Part # SK1188 {#19121300, 25314231, SK1008}
    SENSOR KIT,FUEL LVL 2 DOOR; w/o ROBUST FUEL SYS SENDER(K53)
    $100.79

IT APPEARS THEY HAVE GONE UP $10 IN THE LAST 3 YEARS??? :mad:

3 YEARS LATER...THE PUMP WENT...i GOT THE ENTIRE ASSY. AT A JUNKYARD FOR $100 AND REPLACED THE ENTIRE THING AGAIN. i HAVE THE $85 SENDER I BOUGHT THE FIRST TIME AROUND AS A SPARE IN CASE THE JUNKYARD ONE GOES BAD.
  • Issues started with speedometer gauge sometimes starting at different points, i.e. 40 mph and registers correctly from that point. If I turn ignition off and on the needle drops by 5 mph each time, eventually getting back to 0. Sometimes does not work at all. Fuel gauge needle sometimes drops to bottom and will not register at all. I have been using my digital mileage to gauge gas usage. Also, battery charges fine when engine is running but dies almost immediately if doors are left open or radio is operational without engine running. In short, could this be as simple as replacing the battery? Have had so many opinions that I don't know what to do!
  • 2001 gmc jimmy...drove home gas gauge read 1/4 tank..next day cranked over but wont start..gas gauge reads empty...put $10.00 from spare gas can..cranked over
    but no start ..gas gauge still reads empty...used a OBD2 code reader but it dosent finish tests ..has yellow light and flashes C EV 2A for 20 mins....any help thx :lemon:
  • icbmicbm Posts: 14
    Curious if anybody has been able to get this covered under gm's extended warranty(purchased when we bought it) It falls under the warranty coverage 5yrs after and less than 75k. It goes in tomm for 'diagnostics' Wish me luck.
  • wlaywlay Posts: 2
    Good News Guys - I had the problem with my 2006 Envoy - when I fill up the guage goes to empty and the fuel light comes on. I read on the Blog about the gage prolems and the fuel sensor problems with the envoy - got a number off the blog for GM Technical Service - Supprisingly - although I have 69,000 miles on the car - after a few hoops to go through in getting the problem officially diagnosed, GM AGREED TO PAY THE FULL COST TO REPARE THE FUEL SENSOR GAGUE, A JOB I PRICED AT $500. WAY TO GO GM FOR DOING THE RIGHT THING AND PROVIDING GREAT SERVICE.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    Wonderful! It's always nice to hear stories with a happy ending. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • ncullinncullin Posts: 1
    Would you mind giving me the number for GM Technical Service? I am having the exact same problem with my gas gauge. How many hoops will I need to go through? :)
  • mikexuvmikexuv Posts: 1
    Can you share the GM number? I have the exact same issue.2005 XUV
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,138
    Hello,
    I am from GM Customer Service. Have you had a dealership look at your gas gauge? What is the VIN, and the current mileage on the vehicle? Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • judilynnjudilynn Posts: 1
    Hello, do you mind providing me with the telephone number to call and discuss my fuel sensor gauge issue? Thank you in advance.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,138
    Hello,
    Here is the number that you requested-1-800-462-8782. If you have any further questions please let me know. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service