Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Jimmy Chevy Envoy Fuel Gauge Problem

Comments

• Christina,
    I was not given a case number - just a snotty attitude from Sarah, the customer representative.

Carmen N (sunshine992)
  • nikko10nikko10 Posts: 1
    I went to my GM dealer they told me that because it's not a safety issue that there would not be a recall on my 06 Envoy . So as we speak my gas tank is sitting on my garage floor and the fuel level sensor is changed ( $250.00 dollars for the sensor) also found that my fuel pressure sensor was broken so there goes probably another $150.00 . plus my time . hope GM gets this figured out and maybe I can re-coupe some money
  • jonnyringjonnyring Posts: 74
    ".....plus my time . hope GM gets this figured out and maybe I can re-coupe some money"

Good luck with that. You're gonna need it.
    I hope to be proven wrong.
    This have been going on for 5+ years now!!
    Only ONE person in this thread was helped...out of how many people who've posted here?
  • I am still driving around with my tripometer telling me my mileage. I think it is time for us to go to one of the news channels. I am going to try to reach one in the LA area, probably Channel 4. They do awesome investigations on things like this. People need to know what GM is NOT doing. As a single 60 yr old woman I put my trust into GM and the safety of their vehicles. I drive everywhere and sometimes have my grandkids. Don't want to unexpectedly run out of fuel somewhere. If anyone on this thread has contacted a TV station, please let me know as I can forward the info to one of LA's investigative reporters.
    Carmen
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,086
    Carmen,
    Can you please email me your contact information so I can look this up? I apologize for your experience.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • absolutegabsoluteg Posts: 5
    Seriously Christina? SOOOO many people have complained about this, including me...I had an earlier post this year...about running out of gas with my two kids in the vehicle on a major highway. And now that someone threatens to take this to the news channel you want to help?

you want to help???? make this a known issue and fix it for everyone!! i had to spend close to $1,000 total to get this fixed...which included a ruined throttle body which is now failing me again. Put out a service bulletin and get this resolved for everyone!!! Don't pick and choose and hope that fixing this for one person keeps it quite!

You have just solidified the fact that i will never buy another GMC vehicle! Thanks!
  • kellypwskellypws Posts: 2
    Christina
    I appreciate that you want to help but it seems this is a major problem for a lot of GMC owners. My fuel gauge stopped working a few months back on my Envoy 2007. I had to have it fixed and it cost $700. I'm an outside sales person and drive hundreds of miles a week. There was no way I was going to guess my mileage, it needed to be fixed. Of course the guage is not covered under warranty. Shocking?!?! I haven't had time to post for a while but this is something GMC needs to address. I'm almost ready for a new car and even though I believe in buying American I'm getting tired of bringing my car in every time something goes wrong even if it's covered under the warranty. My electronic driver seat has gone out twice also. Once under warranty and the other time it was not. I had to change the motor on it. My car is only 4 years old!!
    I'm glad I went on this web site so I know that I'm not the only one having problems.
    absoluteg,
    The only posts I see from you are from August 16 of last year. I apologize I didn't start on this forum until December. If you would like to email me with more information I would be happy to look into your situation further.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    edited June 2011
    Give it rest Christina! Can't you see we're ALL fed up with your rhetorical BS????
    Do what he (absoluteg) asks and stop asking.."Have you brought your car to a Stealer?"..."Can I have your VIN?...I can make a case # for you...blah, blah blah, blah, blah blah."

I have tried to stop posting here as I fixed my car myself awhile ago....but I'm so sick & tired of different GM Cust.Serv. Reps chiming in asking for a VIN!

[non-permissible content removed] or get off the pot for Chrissakes!!!!!!!!!

STEVER....DON'T DELETE MY POST PLEASE....THESE "Customer Service Reps" are getting PAID to do nothing!!! We as Americans are sick of big business walking all over us, and appeasing us. How many here have gotten all excited that someone actually SEEMED concerned about their problem? How many have been actually helped?
    Oh no,,,,,I'm feeling nauseous again......
    edited June 2011
    jonnyring,
    Glad to hear you were able to fix your concerns your self. What is it that customers want? Some want recalls formed, others want help for the dealer to fix the concerns. So, with this said, I ask for the VIN to see if there are any open recalls on the vehicle and the type of repair history the vehicle has had. I set up these cases to report the problem to GM, how else do you think GM hears of your concerns? These cases can help to show an idea of how many customers are experiencing a problem, which could help start a recall, or if this is a recurring problem. On to my next point, customers that report there concerns and experience with GM through these cases have documentation for if a recall is formed after they have paid to have it addressed. With this documentation, if the vehicle was fixed at an authorized GM dealer, the customer could then submit for reimbursement.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • I also ran out of gas on the highway with my two children in the truck with me! IF THATS NOT A SAFETY ISSUE I DONT KNOW WHAT IS!!! I have sent an email to Christina, to the nhtsa.gov and to GMC complaining about this. NOW my truck will not pass inspection and they are saying $700 to fix it. This should be a recall!
    (2007 GMC Envoy)
  • absolutegabsoluteg Posts: 5
    Hi Christina-

I will email you my information this week. Hopefully something can be done; however, like most people I ended up finding myself having to make a moral decision...saftey of my family or pursue a broken issue putting my family at risk. I value my family safety first and spent the $1000 to get it fixed. Like all the others, the gauge issue would have been roughly $700 if I remember, and $300 roughly for the throttle body to be replaced (and appears to be failing me again, I need to check with my mechanic on what this means as my gas mileage has been horrible for the last few months).

I will send you the information and i will update this thread so others can see the outcome of whatever you can/willing to do. If nothing comes from the information i provide to you then others will know this, if action is implemented in any form then it will be seen as credible on GM's behalf.

I do appreciate the time...but don't sell us short. Just from this thread alone, you can see the massive issues caused to your customers. I'm not looking for a handout...i already spent my money to get this fixed. This is more of a moral issue to me...which most companies have decided to throw away, in my humble opinion.

This is the only vehicle i have ever owned that has had this type of problem. In general, every GM, GMC, JEEP and FORD i have ever owned has had issues. FORD, GM, GMC the worst. Jeep was marginal. We also own a Honda Accord, it has 75k miles on it...guess how many times it has been to the shop for repair, other than normal wear and tear parts? None, that's right, none!! If GM/GMC considers the gas tank gauge normal wear and tear, just tell everyone...then they can either choose to accept or not accept and all buy Honda's!

Thank you!
  • gmalonegmalone Posts: 1
    Christina,

My 2007 Envoy is at the dealer right now getting the same repair. He's quoted +/- $600. You mentioned in your 6/23 post to jonnyring that documentation could result in reimbursement if a recall is formed. How does one go about starting that process?

This is my 2nd Envoy and, knock wood, this fuel guage problem is the first non-wear & tear problem I've had. From the other posts, it looks like an issue that GM should recognize and make right (though I don't think you personally deserve the abuse). Hopefully you'll get the message up the chain and something comes of it.
    kellypws,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Have you spoke with customer assistance regarding your concerns? If so, please send me your case number. If not we can definitely discuss setting up a case for you and what you can expect. Please feel free to email me directly.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • slimm1112slimm1112 Posts: 2
    GM should be ashamed!!!! These are not isolated incidents. I have a 2005 GMC Envoy XUV with 78000 miles on it. This vehicle has been nothing but a NIGHTMARE!!! This gas gauge problem is called a Fuel Leveling Sensor!!! I know, because I just had it replaced. I had it replaced to the tune of $600. It is located inside the gas tank. With the mile already on the truck, I went ahead and replaced the fuel pump while they had the tank tank down. a monthe ago, I had to replace the fan clutch and the thermostat as well!!!
    Now the speedometer doesn't work, the middle/partition window doesn't work, and to top it off, the truck now has a blown cylinder!!!! At 78000 miles???
  • slimm1112slimm1112 Posts: 2
    It could be the same problem I had with my Envoy???? FUEL LEVELING SENSOR!!!!!! If you have anywhere close to 100k miles on the vehicle, GM is going to suggest that you replace the fuel pump as well. The sensor is located in the gas tank along with the fuel pump!!! Seeing as how the MAJORITY of the cost to replace these two items is associated with LABOR, you probably should.
    slimm1112,
    I apologize for your concerns and frustrations. Have you spoke with Customer Assistance? Can you please send me your VIN, current mileage, complete contact information, and involved dealer? I would like to look into this further.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • ssp3ssp3 Posts: 2
    Absoluteg,

Was anything done to remedy your situation? I am the owner of a 2006 Envoy, and I have incurred numerous charges for needed repairs over the past few of years. When I encountered this gas gauge issue, I decided I cannot afford to shell out $700+ to get this repaired. Therefore, I have been monitoring my level of gas manually through tracking my mileage. This is until recently, when I failed my emissions inspection because of the following; "Diagnostic Trouble Codes: P0463 Fuel Level Sensor A Circuit High."

So GMC does not consider this a safety issue, but yet I cannot legally drive my vehicle without the repair being administered on my vehicle??? That and of course the safety issue of running out of gas with 2 kids under the age of 2 years old! I have been a loyal GMC customer since I began driving approximately 20 years ago, but I am done at this point due to their lack of customer service.

So absoluteg, was wondering if the GMC customer service rep that is replying to this thread has done anything to assist with the monetary damages that you incurred?

Thanks,
    ssp3
    ssp3,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Could you please email me your VIN? I would like to look further into your situation.

You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • I went to the gas station and filled up my 2005 GMC Envoy yesterday. When I went to drive away, I noticed that my low fuel light was still on. Since I heard the fuel go in, I assumed the gas guage was stuck and decided to drive down a bumpy road to try and loosen it. It didn't work. However, it started going up on my way home. It started out with the low fuel light on again this morning, but by the time I got to work, it was up to full. Is this what the rest of you have experienced? If so, shouldn't GM be doing a recall, as it certainly can be a safety issue if you run out of gas on the road!
  • ssp3ssp3 Posts: 2
    Darlynn1995,

Yes, this is how the issue started on my 06 Envoy. However, now the guage does not fluctuate at all (It is stuck on E). It will probably start jumping around for a period of time, and then I presume the sensor just totally fails, and the light and needle will then remain on E. Just wait until you are required to have an emissions test and they fail you and tell you that you need to have it fixed (that's the fun part that I'm dealing with now). Hopefully this Caron GM Rep will assist me with this issue, we shall see (I have not expressed my concerns via Facebook yet, but I will shortly if this does not get resolved in a timely manner).

ssp3
  • Darlynn2995,
    Please don't hold your breath on this. Caron, the GM Rep, has asked for my info about one month ago and I still haven't heard from her. My gauge has been on empty for at least 4 months. GM is the only one who doesn't believe that it is a safety issue. Customer service for GM is not good. :mad:

Sunshine992
    darlynn1995,
    If you would like to send me your VIN and current mileage, I would be happy to look into this and recalls for you. I apologize for your frustrations. Have a great weekend!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • rpeasteprpeastep Posts: 4
    I haven't been on the forum for a while and don't know if this has been mentioned, but, there is an NHTSA Inquiry ongoing on this problem. You can read what has transpired so far at:
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/defects/results.cfm and click on Document Search near the bottom to see what action has occured.

GM won't do a recall until they have to and I am saying that as a loyal GM customer. They just need some coaxing on this one.
    Dear [darlynn1995],
    I can have your VIN? I can investigate your specific vehicle and we can set up an apptment with a dealer to look at your problem. They will only charge you $90/hr to do this and I'm sure they'll tell you they have never heard of this issue before.
    On second though...give me your VIN..I will jot it down on a peice of toilet paper and do with it the same thing every other GMcust. serv. rep here has done ...I'll FLUSH IT DOWN THE TOILET AFTER it's been used to it's full potential. I don't wanna be accused of not being "green" and wasting a good "square' of paper!!!
  • annydavidsannydavids Posts: 1
    edited July 2011
    Thanks to my failing fuel sensor I found myself with my car having died on the train tracks. Seriously GM how is this not a safety issue. It has also left me stranded with two kids under 4. Now the ECM is out, the rear suspension (airbags leaking), and I am guessing once the ECM is fixed they will say fuel pump too. We got our 2006 envoy denali new and it now has 89,000 miles on it. The head of the service department told me this was the begining of the end... to trade it in. Is anyone else thats had these problems, once they are fixed, is the envoy back to running reliably or is this truely the begining of the end? Thanks.
    This is now getting out of hand!!
    Go back to page 10 of this thread & READ POST #91.
    I state:
    This minor problem will do nothing to their reputation. Look at the statistics...
    1)865,000 GM SUVs for Defective Fuel Gauges have been "recognized"
    2)668:There have ONLY been 668 complaints (of the 865,000).
    3)58: only 58 incidents (of the 668) were alleged to result in a vehicle stall,..."
    4)1 complaint (of the 668) alleged a vehicle CRASH.

There have been NO DEATHS as a result....YET.
    YOU, (annydavids) could've been the 1st! Had you been, there wouldn't have been anything left of your truck for NTSB nspectors to "determine cause of "accident".
    Thank God you were not the first "statistic".
    HEY, GM CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVES!!!!! IS ANY OF THIS GETTIN' THROUGH TO YOU YET?????????
    WE DEMAND A RECALL!! WHY DON'T YOU ASK [annydavids] FOR HIS/HER VIN SO YOU CAN CHECK FOR RECALLS, SERVICE RECORDS AND SET UP AN APPOINTMENT FOR HIS/HER TRUCK TO BE LOOKED AT BY A STEALERSHIP??? BETTER JUMP ON THIS ONE QUICK...THERE MIGHT NOT BE A "NEXT TIME"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    >8-(
  • azboomerazboomer Posts: 6
    My 2006 Envoy Denali is experiencing a faulty fuel sensor, which by research, appears to be a growing problem. When the fuel tank is full it reads empty, with the fuel indicator light on, and will/can stall. Periodically the engine light will be on. The gas gauge will bounce between Full and Empty for a good while. This is truly a safety issue, and obviously isn't an isolated situation with one or two vehicles. I saw that NHTSA opened and investigation due to the amount of complaints. I also filed a complaint there. I called GMC customer service (1-800-462-8782) and the young man I spoke with was essentially clueless, and when I gave him the NHTSA investigation number he couldn't find it. He said there wasn't much they could do. So...this not being the FIRST situation I've had with repeated repairs with the Envoy (seat motor, and have replace the ignition switch twice) it is a little disappointing that this being CLEARLY a safety issue that GMC isn't responding.
    azboomer,

Could you please email me your VIN and current mileage? I would like to look further into your situation.

You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • rosebud62rosebud62 Posts: 2
    same sht .. just different day. i also have a 2006 envoy and fortunately a husband who is a mechanic. We just need to figure exactly what part to order. A local mechanic who is aware of the fuel sensor defect says it is a dash problem, but it seems according to this site that the problem is witin the tank. Can someone tell me exactly what I need to order. Same problem as everyone else. If I fill up at fuel station until pump kicks off - the guage goes to E and then bounces around. For sometime if I caught it and didnt quite fill all the way up, I was good. Now .... I'm like most of you with it bouncing and that annoying bing of fuel empty going on and off every few miles. .... Wait until you get to replace heater blower motor resistor (under pass. side dash). Mine melted down - wrotten smell - cant believe car didnt catch fire!!