Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Future of Mercedes-Benz?

Comments

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,722
    A local lot had I believe a 92 500E with something like 12K on it. It was as-new, the interior was just amazing. But they wanted like 35-40K for it, I just laughed. I think it was a consignment, an investment car gone awry. It would be a shame to mile up a nice old car like that.

I have no intention to buy a new MB unless I start making serious money, I mean like very solid 6 figures, and I don't see that coming anytime soon. The initial raw depreciation just can't be justified by me. You can get them used and cheap, it's such a better deal.

That's an OK mileage for a driver car. I want them as low as possible, with records. If I was seeing out an 02 E55, I would prefer under 30K. There was an 01 E55 for sale locally a while back that had like 15K on it, the guy wanted in the low 30s. He ate a lot of money on that one.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    I have no intention to buy a new MB unless I start making serious money, I mean like very solid 6 figures, and I don't see that coming anytime soon. The initial raw depreciation just can't be justified by me. You can get them used and cheap, it's such a better deal.

Yeah I hear what you're saying. There is nothing I'd like more than a new CLS550 or SL550, but you know how much they cost! I figured the CLS will be within my range in about 3-4 years.

M
    I see many 03 E320s here for around 25K, with E500 going in the low-mid 30s, for nice examples. By then CLS will only carry a minor premium, especially if they make a lot of them and dump them in sweetheart lease deals like with the E class.

SL seems to do a little better...hard to find a current style one around here under 60K that isn't fairly miled up.
  • bumpybumpy Posts: 4,435
    Jeez Rocky, go buy a Unimog.
    Yeah I can forget about a current body SL, they're still mightly expensive.

When I was looking for my CLK I found a 03' E500 with 19K on the clock for like 36K Certified at a local dealer here. It was White over Stone and with the appearance/sport package and just perfect, I almost got it instead. If everything goes right I think I'm going to get a W211 E320 4Matic sometime next year for winters and everyday use and put the CLK away. That is a very big if however!

M
  • rockyleerockylee Wyoming, MichiganPosts: 13,989
    Jeez Rocky, go buy a Unimog.

Whats a Unimog, bumpy ? :confuse:

Rocky
    ROTFFLMAO :P

That's funny bumpy. :D

Thanx for the links and reccomendation pal. :P

Rocky
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Posts: 4,175
    Nice ride. But.............

You mean a person under a 4-digit nomenclature didn't sell you a Caddy that is supposed to be as good, if not better??? You're gonna catch a bit of flack I recon. ;)
    I can't imagine driving a W140 like that!

M
    Thanks, LOL. Never!

M
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,993
    Right now the MB GL320 CDI is at the top of my wish list. Wife says I have to sell the MB Cruiser first.

I think Mercedes is making some progress. Not sure that selling Chrysler would make a lot of difference. They do need to work on their dealers at least in So. CA. The one in San Diego does not induce me to be a customer. I may have to go out of state to get a diesel anyway.
    Nice video fintail. Now that's a Big Body Benz :shades:

Rocky
    ROTF !!!!! I love the video, wished I knew enough German to understand what they were sayin'. ;) Those cars were awesome and still look great today. They were a sign of superior German Engineering at it's best. ;)

Rocky
    It was the last 'no expense spared' S, for sure. Although the new one looks promising.

On that note and to be on topic, I saw 5 W221s today. MB has a hit, especially for that price range.
    What the heck is a W221 ?

Rocky
    New 07 S-class
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,993
    I think that Mercedes will kick some Lexus tail over the next two years. Lexus is stagnating.
    That's what I thought but I wanted to be sure. ;)

Rocky

P.S. They are nice. :)
  • Mercedes cars are actually more affordable now relative to the average income than they were twenty or thirty years ago. My 1983 300SD stickered new for $28,735 in 1983! (I am not the orginal owner) Its modern edition eqivalent, the E320CDI, is $53,000, but look how much incomes have risen..(on average). Really investigate, don't estimate! Also the quality has definitely gone downhill. Mine and others like it were built without consideration to cost initially, and then priced. Now, as with everything, saving pennies on a lesser-quality door handle mechanism overrules all.
    Yep, you're right about that. Heck, in the late 80s a 190E 2.6 could have easily passed 30K, a new C isn't much more. My old W126 300SE stickered at 54K in 1989....for a SWB 6cyl car. My C43 stickered at 58K in 1998! The C55 was cheaper 8 years later. A 300E was about 40K in 1986...in 2006 it's equivalent wasn't much over 50K. So in relative terms, these cars are cheaper than ever. And as you mention, there's a reason for it.
    BEIJING — Mercedes-Benz wrapped up its marathon Paris-to-Beijing diesel run on November 17, reporting that the eBay team won the fuel economy contest with an average of 7.19 liters/100 km (32.7 mpg) over the 8,700-mile trek.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=117654

Rocky
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,162
    Back in 1989, I looked at a new Mercedes 560SEL. It stickered for $73,900. I wonder how much Mercedes cars would cost today if they stuck with their old formula of simply building the car first and then putting a price on it. Would a C-Class be around $50K? Lexus put an end to this philosophy and the party was over for Benz. I still wouldn't mind having something like a 1991 560SEL. Those cars still look fresh today.
    True MB went through some adjustments, but I'd suggest you take a look at a S550 or SL550, they're built as close to the old days as you feasibly get. The new W221 S is head and shoulders above the previous W220 model when it comes to build quality as are the SL,CLS and CL. The current E is much better than the previous model too. There is nothing shoddy about any German-made 07' Benz. The Bama models...well....they still aren't up to snuff.

M
    I think you're right on that pricing strategy. If a 190 cost 30K in 1986 and a C costs 35K in 2006...an E cost 40K in 1986 and 50K in 2006, something has to give.

The new S550 is about 90K, which is almost exactly where a S500 would have been 10 years ago. But that new S550 is really a beauty, and I still have yet to hear about any glitches, and it's been on the road in NA for almost a year now. So I am optimistic that some bugs might be behind them.

A W126 with euro lights is an excellent looking car in my book, too. They still turn my head. And a show quality 560SEL is worth maybe 10K...
    For shift in gears, a little stroll down memory lane with the E-Class:

W120/W121 1953-1962. Also known as Ponton.

W110 "Heckflosse / Fintail", 1959-1968

W114/W115 "Strich-8" 1967-1976

W123, 1976-1985

W124, 1985-1995
    My personal favorite of all time so far, the car I saw so much growing up. It was also the "300E" from this model series that started my love affair with Mercedes-Benz. I plan to have one of these one day, either a 500E/E500 or a 300CE/E320 Coupe.

W210, 1995-2002

W211, 2002-2010?

Some special E-Classes through the years:

W124 500E / E500 with the R129 500SL V8, 326-hp

This car is likely the most exclusive sedan Mercedes has produced in the last 20 or so years. It had a Porsche engineered chassis, exclusive interior and the engine from the 500SL of the day, unheard of during that era. In 1994 it stickered for about 80K and a good example can go for 30K still today. Today, the E550 and SL550 sharing the same engine is no big deal.

582-hp W211 Brabus E-Class

W124 Stretchlimousine

The weakest gasoline engine in the W120/W121 had 72-hp. Now, the weakest gasoline E-Class has 163-horesepower (a Euro model of course).

M
    Very cool, I love a lineage like that. It's nice to see a company that can cherish its history. You can really see how the original kind of morphs into the present. Is there anything out there like that about S-class?

One little goof though...W110 fintail was introduced in 1961, the W111 is the version from 1959. I like the tires on that car too.
This discussion has been closed.