Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Escape Audiophile Radio & MP3

2»

Comments

• vg33e powervg33e power Member Posts: 314
    If you are talking about a OEM stock head unit:

You will need a special tool to remove the radio, you can try to make one yourself or if your nice enough to you local radio shop they may pull it out for you or let you use their tool (every stereo place has to have at least three to four sets laying around). The radio has two holes on each side one above the other, the tool is a "U" shaped metal contraption that you insert into both holes at the same time until it "clicks", then you pull outward (left and right) while pulling out towards you and the radio should slide right out. Note: to put it back in just push it in until it "clicks"
  • korberkorber Member Posts: 1
    Boy, sure sounds like a widespread problem! When this happened to me, I didn't bother with pulling the head unit, fuses, etc. (sounds like none of those options really work continuously afterward anyway!) I just took the end of a credit card & pushed down lightly on the CD & they come right out! No hassle, No worries.
    It still happens on occasion, but mostly it seems if I have a "homemade" CD in with the rest. I just do the card trick & all is well!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Oooh, nice variation on the "coaster" trick. Consider it added to the guide. :)
  • blonde5489blonde5489 Member Posts: 1
    Purchased used OEM 6 CD AM/FM radio - works great but CD slot will not open; receive error message stating full but nothing is in the CD. Was told there is a reset button but did not notice when installed. Can pull radio out of slot (relatively easy) if I knew where or if it is located on back of radio. Would appreciate suggestions or any experience.
  • stlgasmanstlgasman Member Posts: 141
    I have the base radio. Can the radio be easily upgraded to the factory 6CD? I know the upgraded system has more speakers, but will it work with the 4 speakers in the base unit?
  • ridenom3ridenom3 Member Posts: 1
    If you are getting the CD Error message, take out the radio and remove the faceplate. There is a wire in there that may have gotten lodged up in there that will stop the cd loader from opening. We moved this wire out of the way and tried again and it worked immediately. Hope this helps!
  • sam178sam178 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 06 escape, radio will not pick up stations over 10-15 miles. Have installed a new antenna and coax, also put a ground wire on coax. Still doesn't work, have taken radio out of my 03 f-150 and put in escape and still doesnt work, put radio out of escape in to truck and it works fine, both radios work equal in truck, but not in escape.
  • raymedvecraymedvec Member Posts: 2
    My radio stopped working in my 2003 escape. For awhile it would go off then after I let it sit for awhile it would come back on. Then one day it shut off and came back on by itself and it played for months. Now it will quit after 5 minutes in the car and now it's dead. I can load and unload cds and push to see the time put that's it. I bought another factory radio and the same thing, nothing. I have power to the radio but I am lost from here. any body got any ideas?
  • raymedvecraymedvec Member Posts: 2
    The radio quit woking put I can load and unload cds and see what time it is but that's it. I replaced it with another factory radio and it's doing the same thing. I have power to it but am lost from here.
  • racegirl48racegirl48 Member Posts: 1
    There is a $10 tool you can buy from V.I.P. called OEM Radio Removal Tool, go figure, huh? Well, I have an 02 escape as well, with the same problem. It wouldn't eject cds or play them. It would always say cd error. My son was able to get 2 cds out and took radio apart. When he put it back in everything works except the cd player, it still is doing the same thing.
  • charlie09charlie09 Member Posts: 1
    Battery died jumped started replaced. Radioo dead ckeck fuse ok any ideas
  • rmielnichukrmielnichuk Member Posts: 2
    on colder days none of the radio controls work on the radio but the controls on the steering wheel work. Also the lights on the radio don't come on then it will come on once the radio seems to warm up. This radio has the six cd player and the satelite radio as well as am/fm
  • 01escapeowner01escapeowner Member Posts: 1
    The vehicle was left for 3 months with a dead battery. After replacing the battery, everything but the radio works. It gets no power at all. Fuses have been checked and all are fine.

Went to the dealership and they said there is no reset for Ford radios.

Does anyone know how to get the radio back functioning without replacing the whole unit?

A million thanks in advance!
  • lunadeuslunadeus Member Posts: 2
    Just bought new ford escape and radio display does not work what do i do :sick:
  • fries1fries1 Member Posts: 12
    if its new like you say, take it back to the dealer. its under warranty.
  • lunadeuslunadeus Member Posts: 2
    well i didn't mean brand new sorry about that its a 2001
  • darcastodarcasto Member Posts: 2
    removed 6disc cd player to replace with aftermarket unit. interior lights and power locks won't work now. radio also has no power. power locks work if key is on and you push button on armrest but will not work with remote or key in door. all fuses look good and i unhooked battery and rehooked and alarm set off so it still has power. all other interior things work, lights, cig lighter, heater fan, ect.
  • njmazdaguynjmazdaguy Member Posts: 1
    Were you ever able to find the answer to your question??? I'm having the same exact problem
  • reen76reen76 Member Posts: 2
    I drive a 2006 ford escape,my speakers were going in and out yesterday and today only the front drivers side works. Do they run on fuses...wires..what? I need my radio!
  • davichodavicho Member Posts: 190
    No fuses. Bad speakers or bad radio. My money is on the radio.
  • reen76reen76 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info... Now the last one stopped working today :( The radio turns on just no sound!
    We went through 2 stock radios. One would blast to the highest volume setting with just a little twist of the knob and the second one would intermittently not emit any sound. Finally replaced it with an aftermarket unit and have not had any problems since then.
  • dcoomerdcoomer Member Posts: 2
    My dad recently gave me his 2002 Ford escape, because he was tired of dumping money into. I had a clogged rear cat and put a straight pipe in. I also replaced the battery as the old one was leaking. Now the radio will not turn on, the interior dome light will not work and the power locks only work with the key in the ignition. Have you found a solution to your radio and power lock issue, darcasto?
    Fords are very well known for having radio problems, I went through 3 on our 2004 Limited until I said screw this and replaced it with an aftermarket head unit. Do yourself a favor and just buy an aftermarket radio. They sound better and you'll never have a problem with it. Dont know what to tell you about your door locks, sounds like the actuator works fine, it may be an alarm issue.
  • missymud1missymud1 Member Posts: 3
    Escapes have electrical issues when the battery is disconnected. Look in the fuse panel for the "room" fuse and replace. Might solve the radio issue. This fuse tends to blow when the battery is disconnected.
  • missymud1missymud1 Member Posts: 3
    Try replacing the fuse marked "ROOM" in the fuse panel. For some reason this fuse blows when you disconnect the battery!!!
  • spudwalkerspudwalker Member Posts: 4
    Which fuse is the room fuse. I have looked through both fuse boxes and non of them are marked room. I had some AC work done this week and they disconnected the battery - now I have no audio. Radio powers on and off, moves through the various prompts, appears okay except no sound.
    Look in your owner's manual if you have one, it tells you there. It is the fuse (#27 I think?) that is at the bottom next to the black relay. It also fuses your GEM module and the cluster assembly. Good luck!
  • rebelroserebelrose Member Posts: 1
    Having a problem finding the correct wiring harness for my new to me suv. All the stores I have gone to find the plug with just one plug but it needs more since my suv came with the 6 disc changer. Has anyone had trouble finding the right one and if you found the right one where did you find it at?
  • mally1124mally1124 Member Posts: 1
    I have a bit of a weird issue going on with the factory oem 6-disc changer in my escape. When you start the vehicle, the radio comes on with sound and working great. But when I put the vehicle in gear and take my foot off the brake, the radio shuts off; no power to the radio. But when I put my foot back on the brake while still in gear, the radio comes back on only to shut right back off as soon as I release the brake. When I put the vehicle in park, the radio comes back on and stays on without me pressing the brake. Obviously there's a short somewhere. I was wondering if anyone had any idea of where to begin in pinpointing the cause. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
    I finally took a look at a 2004 vs a 2005 fuse map in the different years owners manuals and found that there are seveal differences between them. I see the fuse that is #27 in the 2004 and their is no similar fuse with those same functions in the 2005. The term GEM module is not used either. Every fuse I have pulled and looked at and tested has been okay. I bought a new radio, installed it, and still have the same functions; power to the screen, changes CD's, radio stations, etc - still no audio. The battery has been unhooked and reconnected before, but may try it again.
  • agamtoksagamtoks Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever get this issue fixed? I'm having exactly the same problem with my 2002 Escape XLS.
    NO!
    Tried everything suggested. Checked all fuses. Unhooked battery. Had transmission linkage work done at dealership and asked them to check it out - they recommended a new radio. I bought a salvage radio and still have the same result. The lights showing that the radio, cd, etc are on all work but no SOUND.
    What are the chances that my problem is the amplifier? Which is accessed in the right rear luggage area - behind a large piece of plastic - a local tech shop suggested this might be the problem - how do I check it. I have 250,000 miles on the car I do not want to put in a new sound system.
  • omnipotent_87omnipotent_87 Member Posts: 1
    That sounds like the amp is fried or the fuse to the amp is. I'm not sure where its located but there is usually a fuse right on the amp its self.
  • pokerjoe311pokerjoe311 Member Posts: 1
    I have read earlier post where others have had radio, door lock and interior lights not working after replacing the battery. I just had the same problem and just in case it happens to someone else here is fix: My Escape is a 2003, it has two fuse panels, one under the hood and one under the dash on the left kick panel. That is where I found a fuse called the "room" it is a 10 amp and is at the bottom right side (looking at the fuses) It is next to a relay, very hard to see but its there. I replaced this fuse, fixed the problem. Thanks to other post on this web site.
    Good luck!
  • jaydee10jaydee10 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 ford esacpe with q audiophile cd 6 changer am/fm system. I have no display on the screen. Has anyone experienced this problem before
  • ae7ki_gerryae7ki_gerry Member Posts: 1
    has anyone tried to improve reception of FM / AM by installing a booster..we live 45 miles north of Spokane and reception is patchy of the main Spokane stations
  • rmielnichukrmielnichuk Member Posts: 2
    This problem is still there and I have talked to Ford and a couple of stereo installation shops and they don't know what is causing this issue. anyone else have any ideas?
  • dunk20001dunk20001 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Limited with the same problem. If I tap the display sharply, in comes on for for a while then shuts down again.

I just finished pulling the radio and taking taking the front off. Once the lens is off, you can see the digital display unit. It would appear that there is a loose connection in the top right corner of the display. There is a silvery mark on the inside of the glass similar to what you see on a blown fuse.

I found your complaint while googling the code number on the P.C. board, with no luck.

May somebody knows if a new board is available, otherwise I guess we'll both be on e-bay looking for new radios.
  • bamjimbamjim Member Posts: 2
  • shelcroneshelcrone Member Posts: 1
    The 6 CD exchanger did not work when I bought the truck. I've tried fixing it, but it doesn't work. How do I find a single CD player that will work with the radio?
  • dunzungdunzung Member Posts: 1
    I know this is a year old issue. But I just saw this. There is probably a moisture settlement on the SJB and you MAY have to replace the sJB. After replacing the SJB you will have to to a GEM self test which requires a code scanner. You should then fix and reset the problems suggested by the code. This should help.
  • molly_dogmolly_dog Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a used '06 Escape XLT (3.0L Auto 4WD). It's a one-owner with 43K miles and I'm completely mystified by the stock audio system.

I have literally studied the sections of the owner manual related to the sound system. The features I have been able to activate/deactivate do not in any way, shape or form, match up with any listed systems.
    • Has in-dash 6-disc changer but will not play (Or even recognize discs with) .mp3 files
    • Has "Text Scroll" button but cannot activate RDS
    • Manual states to "...press and hold 'Menu' button until appears then..." but nothing ever appears
    Every web site I've visited that lists standard features lists RDS and ,mp3 compatibility yet no dice on this car.

In my 20s-30s I used to design, sell, install and tune competition car audio systems (not the rattling-trunk-lid-louder-than-radio crap we all despise, especially at 3 am) and, as I said, I'm mystified. The only thing I haven't done is to disconnect the battery overnight or pull the radio to see if the unit will reset if left with no power.

The thing really does not sound too bad but I'd like to be able to burn .mp3 discs to save some cash IYKWIM.

Thanks for your considered assistance!!
    M_D