Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jetta Transmission Problems and Questions

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You should have a diagnostic check done to see what's up here. Your transmission is hydraulically shifted, not electronic, so you may need first a diagnostic reading, and then perhaps a pressure-test. Of course, check the fluid levels before you do anything. You might need a transmission shop or VW shop to check this for you before you get into anything else. Any sign of leakage would be a tip off that you may need fluid.

If the fluid's good and the transmission tests as defective, that's a tough call for you, as the cost of repair may or may not be justified vis a vis the value/condition of the car.
  • drmail3000drmail3000 Member Posts: 5
    My 1999 Jetta with automatic transmission shifts well in lower gears but doesn't go from 3. gear to 4.gear with the consequence that I run higher RPM's and higher fuel consumtion. Any idea is appreciated
    See # 205 above
  • jaebjaeb Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 turbo Jetta with tiptronic. My transmission was replaced with 45,000 miles it ran great for a while then I started experiencing starting problems after 3 years 5 dealers across country and lots of money it was the alternator, it took so long to determine the problem because it kept reading false positive on the diagnostics. Then the motor mount broke it was replaced and the car won't run/move until it is fully warmed up, this usually takes about 45 mins of idle running. Then once it runs at times it will stall or the auto trans won't get into gear. The car stalls. When I turn corners, the car stalls. The VW dealer said they couldn't do anything, because they can't say why it is behaving this way. They told me to go to AAMCO, I went, they told me the transmission isn't reading faulty and it might be something wrong with the tiptronic, they said they couldn't say for sure it would fix the problem but if it doesn't the money I paid would be credited towards them rebuilding the transmission and that I should take out their credit account to make sure that all the bills can be paid.

I drove it on the highway and it was as it once was a perfect ride, but once I went back onto the street and turned the corner the car stalled. I would like to know what and where I can go to get this repaired. I would like to sell it but who will buy it. Once they test drive it they will see how bad it is.
  • stepdudestepdude Member Posts: 1
    Hey Guys and Gals.
    My stepson just purchased a 1998 VW Jetta w/auto trans. It has shifting problems
    often called "hiccuping". Has anyone had this problem?? Is there anything he can do.?
    It only has 85,000 miles on it. The mechanic where he bought it is pulling his hair out. The check engine light comes on but he can't find the code, that is listed. Need some help here. Thank you.
    Stepdude
  • julietjjulietj Member Posts: 15
    Question regarding a 2002 Jetta TDI - goes into gear, but makes a loud grinding, clicking that sounds horrible -- and of course, it can't be driven. Is it possible that the transmission is shot, or hopefully something not as expensive?
  • mom_of_lotusmom_of_lotus Member Posts: 1
    Hi! I bought a 1994- 2.0 engine, 5 speed (generation 3) a year ago. In Jan of this year, I slid on some ice and hit a VERY small tree and lost my reverse. Then in March, the whole tranny fell out of the housing, all over the road. Today, I bought a 1985- 1.8 engine, 5 speed (gen.2). My question is, would the tranny from the gen2 bolt onto the gen 3? Thanks :) rachie
  • ndmike88ndmike88 Member Posts: 155
    My wife has an '08 Wolfsburg and I have an '09 TDI. Just wondering if ALL the recall notices have been mailed out. We haven't seen one so I'm hoping we both dodged a bullet.
  • chuckycheesechuckycheese Member Posts: 13
    I have a '06 Jetta TDI 5 spd manual. Can anyone tell me the capacity & correct specs (weight) of the fluid necessary to change the trans gear lube? Cannot get info without going to VW dealer (which I would rather not do).
  • Un1Qu3Un1Qu3 Member Posts: 2
    i would rather spend some well spend money on getting the liquids changed in the transmission done professionally because V W tends to have delicate transmissions especial auto .. it could but if not check the manual.
  • slomoshnslomoshn Member Posts: 12
    I just bought a 2000 jetta 1.8T on Monday. By Wednesday, I started to notice the tranny slipping and then correcting itself. On Christmas day it would get stuck in 3rd momentarily before shifting into 4th. I called the dealer and he told me bring it in on Saturday to check the fluid. On the way over to the dealer, it would not shift into 4th. I tried to force it by speeding up and it almost redlined. Also, the check engine light came on. The dealer's mechanic got a code off the computer (avoiding telling me what it was) and said it was electronic. They want to send it to an electronics expert in Anaheim on Monday. Does this makes sense to anyone or are the pulling something shady? I'm really pissed because I saved all year to buy this car before the Spring semester. Riding the bus really sucks! :mad:
    I presume this isn't a VW dealer? They should know how to deal with it.

Yes, your transmission is controlled by both hydraulic and electronic systems, so it is possible you have an electronics issue. If you knew the code #, I could tell you more.
    I'll try to find out the code. And, no, it isn't a VW dealer. I don't expect the car to last forever but I do want to get through the next two years of school and graduate before buying another vehicle. Is that too much to ask? :confuse:
    Cars can be merciless sometimes, but it sounds like the dealer is going to make good on it (he'd better). He would need a VAG scan tool to figure this out so maybe he doesn't have the equipment.
    Well, I dropped the car off today. He wouldn't give me the code. That has me worried. We'll see what happens. Thanks for the advice. I'm going to start researching the laws here in California, just in case I have to take him to court to make this right. :lemon:
    Oh, I almost forgot. While driving to the dealer today, the check engine light went off and the transmission started shifting properly. But now I just don't trust the vehicle.
  • ndmike88ndmike88 Member Posts: 155
    We both got recall notices this week in the mail. Damn it.
  • pfefferpfeffer Member Posts: 2
    Hi there...I have a 2001 VW Jetta that went into the shop for a water pump/timing belt replacement and was not shifting right either. They told me I needed a new transmission (which is more than the car is worth at this point)...and the day I picked it up, it was shifting perfectly. Then the very next day, I was driving about 30 - 40 mph when all of a sudden, the check engine light came on, and it began shifting terribly if at all...it seemed to be stuck in 3rd gear. After a week of agonizing over spending the money to fix this car or getting another one, I decide to get a second opinion. On the way to another mechanic's shop, I was going about 60 mph with the RPMs above 40, and in an instant, the check engine light went off and the transmission is shifting perfectly again. Sounds like Mr_Shiftright went through the exact same thing - did you ever find out what the code was or what the problem really is?
    That sounds very similar to my experience. Unfortunately, I did not find out the code and the car is still in the repair shop. I delivered it back to the dealer last Monday. I asked, almost insisted to know what the code was; the dealer became a bit obnoxious about it so I let it go for the time being. He assured me that he would take care of it. Gave me a story about the possibility of multiple codes being caused by one problem. He would not give me the code or a clear explanation.
  • pfefferpfeffer Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for the fast response! I will let you know if I find out anything substantial, and please keep me posted on your outcome...I wish you the best! :D
    Not a problem. I will make another posting once the vehicle is returned to me. Is your vehicle still shifting correctly. I would like to know if your check engine light returns just to gauge what to look for with my own.
    I never did find out the problem. I just kept driving and when the light never returned, I figured it was a gift from heaven and left it at that. I'm not one of those people who begs the doctor to take X-rays to see if they can find something wrong I don't know about. :P
  • yoincayoinca Member Posts: 3
    I understand your joy, but unlike you I don't believe in gifts from heaven, that fault occurred and more likely will came back anytime, be ready, give yourself a gift and by a scanner, nothing fancy, the engine module and the trans module are interconnected, it will read the code and clear the current and stored codes. That will save you thousands of dollars and nobody would be able to hide them from you, you would tell them what the target is. I had a similar situation and all it took was a $50 speed sensor, please get the code. Also many auto parts will erad the code for you for free. Good luck.
    "A gift from heaven", I agree. I hope my light never comes back on. I absolutely this car, but if it doesn't shift right.....that really sucks. Congrats! ;)
    Well I really wasn't totally into faith-based car healing, since my own experience told me that now and then a car will give off a sporadic misfire, setting off the light. If the misfire was a one-time only, the light will reset itself in most cases after a certain number of successful restarts.

I did dump in some fuel injection cleaner. I think it was just some water in the gas.

Anyway, the light went off before I got my scanner out of the toolbox the next day.

VW owners who are real DIY types should get a VAG COM.
  • biglukedogbiglukedog Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 VW Jetta that is getting a new transmission. I am beong asked if it is a EGT or EZK type transmission. How do I tell>
    I don't think those are the right IDs. Should be 01M or 09A, and they are stamped right on a plate on top of the transmission.

One would think that the entity providing the transmission would know this?
  • yoincayoinca Member Posts: 3
    The dealer will give you the answer, or if you wanna go beyond they will give a print-out of all the specifications, engine, trans, paint codes, etc.
  • rired1rired1 Member Posts: 3
    I have recently purchased a 2005/6 Jetta 2.5. It is the new body style. I really like the car, lots of pick up, nimble. But I have been having a problem with the transmission that just doesn't seem right. In the low gears it is very clunky, slow to accelerate, hesitates and makes noises. Sometimes it feels like there are bumps in the road or I have hit something when I am slowing down or starting at slow speeds. I have taken it to the dealer for maintenance 3 times now and they tell me that nothing is wrong. "It hasn't given them a code". It seems to be getting worse, and the cold affects it as well. Any advice about how to get them to address it? The car is under VW warranty so I am told that "not to worry, if anything goes wrong, we will take care of it". But I am actually not comfortable driving it long distances. What good is a car that you can't drive and you have only had for 6 months?
    Frustrated in Rhode Island
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    Maybe try a different dealer, if you can, or make them go for a ride with you if you have not already done that. We have a 2005 and they replaced the valve body in the trans with about 10,000 miles on it. AFAIK, there was never a code, the trans light was never on, which I assume would happen if there were a code.

Ours was having harsh/rough upshifts particularly 1-2 and 2-3. It was particularly noticeable when going uphill. When the dealer checked it out, one thing I remember that they said was it was shifting way too early.

Ours has been super smooth ever since. I think it is the smoothest automatic I have ever driven. I wish my Mazda6 transmission was as nice and smooth as our VW is.
  • natoriuesnatoriues Member Posts: 1
    Did you try looking into the tourqe converter. Sometimes they go bad and it sounds like it will not converte the power from the engine to transmission when its hot.
    No I haven't yet. I will ask the dealer about it again. I am going to take it to another shop to have it looked at. Thank you.
  • jmckimjmckim Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Jetta and I am having a problem with my transmission. On any given day I don't know if it will drive fine or if my transmission will be stuck in third gear. I have no idea what the problem is or how much it will cost to have it fixed. What are my options?
    Interesting.. I actually know the feeling. It is like roulette. Is it going to work today? Are the gremlins going to behave or not?
    One thing I did find out from my Service Department Manager that I thought was interesting on the concept of "Codes". She said that it was extremely difficult for the computure to diagnose a transmission issue. It generally does not post a code for a problem until there is a complete failure. Transmissions are a matter of "feel" and that the service tech or manager had to take a drive to actually sense the problem. It was at least a validation of why there was no "Code" showing what I sensed to be a problem with my transmission. Good luck.
    Dealer Denial but working on it.....
  • jbsmith1989jbsmith1989 Member Posts: 1
    i just bought a used 99 new jetta vr6. after i bought the car a little while later the was a little skip to it and the check engine light came on so i got it checked and the code was for a mass airflow sensor... so i got it changed and the check engine light was still on so the guy re-checked it. the code pulled up miss fire. i was told to try and get a tune up(oil change, spark plugs changed, etc.) on the car and see what happens. i was just curious of other peoples thoughts and opinions about this and if you think it is something worse or if the tune up might fix the the slight skip
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    edited February 2010
    There is no such thing as a "tune up" with a modern engine. There are no points, condenser or other items that can go bad. Modern sparkplugs last over 50K miles. Only people that want you to spend your money will try to sell you a "tune up".

I beleive the VR6 engine has COP (Coil on plug) and those coils are notorious for going bad. (There was even a recall at one point) Luckally, you can replace each of the 6 COP units seperately as they are deemed bad. (Instead of replacing a very expensive coil which serves all 6 cylinders.)

Once you determine which of the 6 cylinders is "skipping", you can swap that COP unit with another one... .if the problem moves to the other cylinder, then you have successfully isolated a bad COP unit.
  • jettadazejettadaze Member Posts: 2
    i was driving my 97 vw jetta, pushed down the clutch to shift, the clutch slammed to the floor and i coasted to a stop, motor still running. i was totally shocked and surprised because at first it felt as if the clutch had disappeared through the floor, it made quite a loud noise. but, i am able to pull the clutch back up with my hand. pushing on it sends back to the floor again. when it is on the floor i can start the car, but i can not change the gears....when it is pulled up i can not start the car but i am able to move through all gears with ease.....it feels like a cable snapped or a part came loose.....i need to solve this soon :confuse:
    Clutch cable, definitely.

$80 list price + .7 of one hour labor.
  • jettadazejettadaze Member Posts: 2
    but, i can move the shifting lever by hand but i still have no clutch action. would that mean a bad clutch cable then?
    Well yeah if it broke and the car is now in neutral---you'd be able to shift through the gears I would think. Anyway, you should be able to raise the hood and spot a busted clutch cable pretty easily. I hope it's not something internal in the clutch itself. I suppose the clutch throw-out bearing arm could have snapped--that would be a drag, as it's in the bell housing and requires transmission removal.

You can start when you push the clutch pedal down because you are activating the clutch safety switch, which is not dependent on the cable.
  • magicmarcmagicmarc Member Posts: 3
    hi, ive got a 1997 jetta gls, 5 speed manual.
    it had always clicked a bit when in reverse, but recently, its grinding, and kicking a bit when in reverse. the forward gears are fine..

a. does the manual transmission need fluids level checks? if so where do i check it ?
    b. do transmissions ger 'replaced' or 'repaired' typically, if so which is better?
    c. about how much [approx.] would something like this cost?

thanks
    m
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    edited March 2010
    General answers

a: You can check the level of the fluid on manual xmission. It is typically done by removing a screw-in "plug" and making sure that the fluid within is barely trickling out. (filled up to the level of the plug)

b: It is possible to 'rebuild' a manual xmission and replace individual components. Typiclly, on a 1997, you might find it cheaper to replace entire unit with good used xmission. (I dont think you need to consider either of these yet)

c: Cost! The bottom line! You would get more accurate answer by simply opening a phonebook and making some phone calls to reputible shops.

From your description, it sounds as if somone may have "jammed" the xmisison into reverse and damaged the reverse gears at some point... this is just a guess. You really need to get more details on what the noise is. You may chose to 'live with it' and continue to drive. It may last for the rest of the vehicles life.

The manual Xmissions in VWs are historically very, VERY reliable if they are treated with respect. I have driven a total of nearly a million miles on VW manual xmissions over the years with never EVER a problem. (nor wearing out a clutch!)
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    My kid tells me that, based on his research, destruction of reverse gear is a common problem in VW manual transmissions of that era. He has 1996 Jetta with just over 100K mi, reverse sounds terrible and he holds in gear when in reverse to prevent it's popping out.

He got one estimate from a transmission shop of around $900 to repair, or maybe it was replacement with rebuilt trans.
  • magicmarcmagicmarc Member Posts: 3
    thanks to both of you for the assistance, i am indeed going to have 'it checked' by the xmission shop near my work, theres lots of auto repair places around there.
    m
  • robin_boyd05robin_boyd05 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2010
    I have a 2005 Jetta GLI and the other night when I went to drive home the reverse did not work. It's like the car was in neutral. I had to push it out of the spot I was in. She drove just fine home and once I arrived the reverse was fine. It happened again today. It seems like after she has been sitting and cooling off over a few hours the reverse won't engage but when she is warmed up it starts working again. I was recently laid off and cannot afford to replace the tranny.... any ideas of what it is and what the potential costs would be? I appreciate any help in this time of massive need.
    Yours is reverse, mine was 4th gear. You have an '05, I have a '00. Same symptoms-sucks when it is cold, but works fine once it warms up. Eventually it worked itself all the way down to only first gear. Now I am getting it rebuilt ($3000).

If you still have warranty, get it to the dealer. Leave it overnight so they can check it first thing in the morning, that's when it is at its worst.
  • mrjetta1995mrjetta1995 Member Posts: 2
    Hows it going people , so my problem is somewhat of the same sort . i had my 95 jetta about 3 weeks of driving traded my 86 accord across for it had a oil leak problem. fixed that and drove for about 3 weeks , went to the store one day and drove fine. backed out from parking spot . put it in 1st to go had to stop for people walking bye . then when i went to let off the clutch to go again it made a loud rattleing sound from the tranny and wouldnt move . also the car now rolls in every gear . what could b the issue ? shortly after though my car got hot and spewed water every where.. so the big question is what happend to my car ? and a lil off topic, but iv been having problems removeing these front axles . do i really need the tool ? they dont pop out ? iv tryed a 6mm hex socket lil to loose iv tryed a 7 mm hex socket to big .. is there a special tool i need for this process ? and is it at all possible to drop the whole tranny wit axles still attached ? the vw dealership isnt helpful in the least ..
  • 2004jetta2004jetta Member Posts: 1
    I have an 04 jetta, 5 speed manual. I believe the engine is a GLS. My car is making a strange clicking sound, kind of like a helicopter. I took it to the mechanic and he thought it was a problem with the axle, but after taking a closer look he said it was coming from the transmission. My mechanic told me my best bet is to replace the transmission with a used one. How much should I expect to pay? Do you think my mechanic is right? Has anyone had this same problem with their jetta? Thank you!
  • 42bjones42bjones Member Posts: 1
    Dealer stated the key was desensitizing & to thread it. Tried that-did not work. All dash lights will not come on. Car will crank then immediately turn off. Tried to crank again this a.m., now it's making clicking noise as if the battery is dead. The megatronix unit was replaced @ 35,000 miles. Not sure what is happening...HELP!
  • 01tdi01tdi Member Posts: 16
    It sounds like the transmission might have died. As for the axles you need to get a special tool for them I believe for manual transmission the axles are 8mm square heads to get them off and for automatic its 12mm. however I have herd of people having multiple size screws and what not on their vw. You can get these tools at advanced auto for pretty cheap last time I checked.