Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jetta Transmission Problems and Questions

1234568»

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited April 2011
    Well that kind of info takes time to extract and typically most automakers are rather tip-lipped about this sort of problem.

Best thing I could suggest is to check in regularly in our TDI forum right here and see how people are doing with their 2011s. My friends just bought one and so far so good (they have the manual transmission). It's likely that the fuel pump failures are only a small fraction of the total # of cars out there.

To give you an idea, a catastrophic failure rate for an automaker would be like 5-8%, and I doubt the TDI fuel pump failure rate is anything like that.

Edmunds TDI Topic
  • cswaldencswalden Member Posts: 1
    I have a 08 Jetta Wolfsburg w/ 2.0T and DSG. We also own a 07 EOS with same engine / trans and an '10 Passat, also with same engine/ trans. I have noticed that the Wolfsburg seems to be geared differently than the other two cars. For example, at 60mph I am turning about 2500 rpm and at 70mph approaching 3k. My two other cars seems to be about 500 rpm less. Is the Wolfsburg geared differently for performance? (btw, the rpm measurements / comparisons are all in standard "D" (drive). Would appreciate some input on this, as I'm starting to think there may be an issue, even though the car shifts beautifully and when I check the gearing by putting into Tiptronic / manual mode, the car indicates I'm in 6th gear.
    Thanks for input and advice here.........
  • bruce97bruce97 Member Posts: 1
    I have had the tranmission looked a before to solve this problem without success. The mechanic says nothing can be done to correct it.
    I have to drive about 2-5 minutes in 1st gear before the transmission will shift to the higher gears. I was told the transmission was made by Mitsubishi and this happens sometimes. The thermastat was changed to try to correct it which did not work. It has to was up on its own by running awhile untill it starts to work normally. Does anyone know of an inexpensive fix for this problem?
    Has anyone scanned the car for trouble codes? Perhaps you have a bad transmission control module.
  • lancewomacklancewomack Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

My jetta is shifting hard between 2nd n 3rd gears - I took it into the dealer and they said the valve body needs to be replaced. What i would like to find out is what i need to specify when looking for a reman Valve Body. Also, does anyone have any thoughts on just going for a reman transmission..? Or would that be too aggressive...? Anywho, if i could get some help with part #s or descriptions that would be really appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Lance Womack
    No. Cal.
  • rozieronrozieron Member Posts: 1
    CLUTCH PEDAL IS ON THE FLOOR. NEW CABLE INSTALLED. NEW CLUTCH AND PRESSURE PLATE INSTALLED. REMOVED TAILSHAFT COVER AND FOUND THE PLUNGER AND ROD ARE STAUCK IN. REMOVED PLUNGER AND ROD, NO DIFFERENCE. INSTALLED PLUNGER AND ROD AND TAPPED END TO TRY AND RELEASE WHATEVER MIGHT BE STUCK. NOTHING HAPPENED. WHAT NEXT. PLEASE, I NEED HELP ASAP!!
  • b_jettab_jetta Member Posts: 1
    I have the exact same car as you (08 Jetta). My car runs the same as yours I don't think its a problem with the car. At 75mph I'm in the 2500-3000
  • claudia11claudia11 Member Posts: 1
    This seems to be the same problem I'm having with my jetta I have had the tranny relaced 10 months ago now Its doing just as you described I dont know what to Do........ Please held
  • fho2008fho2008 Member Posts: 393
    Three different cars, not all will be the same weight, or move though the air the same.
  • nsand15nsand15 Member Posts: 1
    please file a complaint so we can get this taken care of and show there is a need for a recall. https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    You *do* realize that a formal "recall" is only for SAFETY related issues - right?

If there is a reliability problem which warrants dealer action, it is called a "TSB" (Technical Service Bulletin)

Also, there is no mandate for a dealer to tell you that a TSB even exists for your car. That is why I do my research when I have a problem with my car. In that way, I enter the service area armed with printouts and proof that a TSB exists for the specific issue I am there for.

The above technique has saved me many $1000s of dollars. From free tires to free catalytic-convertes, free engine-computers and other items that they were supposed to cover.

BTW: Do not forget to read your "Federal Emissions Warantee" --- essentially all emissions-related components are covered for 10 years/100,000 miles. (This is most of the engine-electronics and exhaust-system!!)
  • daveallandaveallan Member Posts: 1
    We bought a 2008 petrol Jetta it has only done 41000k it just had its 40000k service. We have been told that there is a fault in the auto transmission and we are up for a new gearbox. The problem is a small thud happens under the floor when breaking. The car is out of warranty and Volkswagen wont pay the full $11000 to replace the gearbox which we are not happy about hence its only done 41000k's.

Has anyone had a similar problem with the gearbox or with Volkswagen?
  • britt_11britt_11 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same exact problem with mine. The volkswagen dealership said they weren't sure what the problem was because they couldn't replicate it so I took it to a transmission shop and they said it is the transmission valve body that is causing it. But since volkswagen did not diagnose it when it first started to happen and the three other times I had brought it into volkswagen they didn't know what the problem is now I am looking at rebuilding my transmission on a car that has 100,000 miles on it.
  • drew031356drew031356 Member Posts: 2
    Greetings to All,

I have a 2006 Jetta TDI. I bought this car with 80,000 miles on it and now I have 127,000 miles. The car rides and rive very well and the fuel mileage runs about 41-42 mpg. I was happy with the MPG UNTIL I talked to others who have the same car and they tell me they are getting 48-49 mpg with out any effort. Now I wonder am I missing out? When I am driving at 65 mph, my tach is showing 2300 rpm. Is this normal rpm for this speed OR is my transmission not doing its job. In other words, does my transmission have an overdrive that is not working that is effecting my mpg? Any ideas to improve my mpg or should I be happy again with what I have?

Drew
    Your MPG is about right for a TDI--that's about what Edmunds got on a longterm test.

You can't really rely 100% on other people's anecdotal claims---also they might have different driving habits than you. If they do more freeway, then sure they're going to have better MPG.
  • drew031356drew031356 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the quick reply. I understand the concept of highway driving. I drive 75 miles one way to work and it is 90% interstate driving. Has fare has relying on other drivers impression of their mpg, that is always something to think about. On the other hand, when I talk to these people and I ask question, I always get consistent answers. There are a few people that do not give consistent answers and come to find out, they do not even know how to calculate MPG. So needless to say their input to me is like a paper boat. But , can you tell me if my transmission has and overdrive and is 2300 rpm at 65 mph normal.

Drew
  • p10p10 Member Posts: 1
    Hello there i am having similar issues with my 2002 Jetta 5 speed automatic transmission. I am was wondering if you ever found out what the issue was and were able to get the transmission fixed? I wont shift out of first till its warmed up but once its warm it shifts fine. Any feedback would be helpful. Thank you for your time.
  • slomoshnslomoshn Member Posts: 12
    It was the ABS hydraulic pump.

I had the entire tranny rebuilt before they realized that's what the problem was.
  • littleredjettalittleredjetta Member Posts: 2
    I have an older base model Jetta GL that has had repeated transmission issues. At 91K, it has been replaced/rebuilt twice already. We are hoping to hang onto the car since my son will be driving soon, but don't know if it is worth the cost to fix? When the car is running but you are not engaging the gas pedal (so, coasting), a whirring, or clicking (like a card-in-the-bike-spokes kind of noise) occurs at the front end. We were told by our mechanic that it sounds like a transmission problem. Don't know whether to gamble and take it in to a tranny shop, as you never know the cost of the repair until they open up the transmission, and by then you are in too far to back out. Could it be something simple, or something other than the transmission? All gears still shift okay, and it was replaced ONLY about 6K miles ago...out of warranty as it is a spare car and we hit the 12 month expire on the warranty well before the mileage expiration. The rebuild included a new clutch kit. Any thoughts? Thanks.....
  • jayztroublesjayztroubles Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2002 jetta 1.8 a/trans 5spd a/t that is. when i sit at idle on a warm day and the water temp goes up to about 190 degrees, the trasmission ceases to engage almost like its low on tranny fluid or something and once i get going and get the temp to about 180 the problem seems to clear up. ???strange as hell. is there any way to check the fluid in the transmission cuz I was told you cant ? can you at least drain the fluid left and add a certain amount ? helppppp
    The only real way to check VW automatic xmission fluid level is with computer hook-up.

If you have never changed it, perhaps instead of a check and top-off... you might consider a PM (preventive maintenance) on the xmission.

Have the old fluid drained, any internal filters changed and new fluid put in. It will cost more... but an automatic xmission NEEDS to have this service on a regular basis. This is one of the costs associated with an automatic xmission.

That is one reason I only run manual xmisisons.... virtually no PMs.
  • blindstromblindstrom Member Posts: 1
    We are in the market for a first car for our teenage son and he wants a Jetta. It will need to be an automatic and we have been told that Jettas have transmission problems. Is that true? We have found one with 200,000 miles on it for $3000.00 and know that, if we take him to see it, he will want it...just want to make sure that we are not purchasing a car that is known for serious problems - as he will not have any $ to get it repaired...
    I myself wouldn't advise anyone to buy a miled-up Jetta. What year is it?
  • bamaunclebamauncle Member Posts: 1
    i have a 05 1.8t auto and 2 codes come up p0732 and p2637 after 3 shops could not I.D. the problem i found the problems myself but am not familiar with ger-main engi nu ity but when this jetta is gone i'll never have another.Can anybody out there tell me what these tranny codes are?Better off if somebody steals it so just in case i'll leave the keys in it. thanks.
    0732 is an incorrect gear ratio code and could be a lot of things---probably the easiest to check would be the VSS (vehicle speed sensor--not sure where that is at the moment). Also indicates a possible malfunction in the solenoids in the valve body of the transmission, OR some kind of internal transmission problem.

2637 is more specific, indicates a problem with the MAF sensor or an intake manifold leak.
  • wlakerwlaker Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2012
    My daughter has a 98' Jetta and has replaced the transmission at VW dealer and it failed after about two years. We had it rebuilt and it lasted a little more than and year. That was an electronic part. We rebuilt the transmission mechically the next time and it out again. $6000 total cost over four to five years. It's hard to get her out of it. Spent too much and Volkswagen could care less!!! When the transmission went out we fought with VW of Amercia as the warranty had just gone out but we had complained atleast three times before the warranty went out of date. Find a good Honda or Toyota in hsi price range! This car won't shift and this has been the problem all along. Right now it won't go in reverse. :mad: :( Volkwagen has problems period!
  • victor_32victor_32 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005.5 2.5 jetta and i have the same problems as you, did u ever found out wat the problem was? They charge me 1600 to rebuild it. But they wont tell me what it is until they open it. I would like to kno if u ever found the problem, Thanks.
  • glinateglinate Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2005 Volkswagen GLI about 3 months ago and have had the engine replaced due to a timing belt giving out within the first month, after driving the car with another engine for about a week I started having this problem in my third gear.. Where I would accelerate and around 5-6k RPMS the gear slips and doesn't switch gears, doesn't even catch back into 3rd it just revs as if it's in neutral.. Can this be a problem from the timing belt giving out? Or that after driving 20 hours from Missouri back to Arizona that the engine had an oil leak? Does this have anything to do with it? Please help me as soon as you can! Thanks,
    Nathan
  • fluffy8fluffy8 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 jetta GLI 1.8t 5 speed auto. im having issues mainly when its the tranny is cold i can manually shift first through third fine , but when it tries to go into 4 or 5 it just seems to hit neutral. usually once the tranny warms up , a good 10 miles or so(and the weather is not super cold) i can usually start getting 4 and 5th back. when i have the gears 4 and 5 working they run perfectly fine . the tranny shop briefly looked at it and wants to tell me i need a whole new tranny ..anyone run into this?
  • robvr6robvr6 Member Posts: 1
    triptonc tranny-

1st to 2nd gear is fine, but when shifting to 3rd, it slips completely as if its in neutral. If I shut the car off and let it cool down, problem goes away. Most days there is no issue, only when I drive lots at short distances (engine get to warm?) Dealer found just one code when scanning it: 00652 - Gear Monitoring: Implausible Signal. This could mean many issues.

Any help would be great!

Rob
  • yourmechanicyourmechanic Member Posts: 17
    Is your car an automatic?

If it is then have a shop check your transmission. Sounds like there's a problem with the transmission.

More than likely it doesn't have to do with the timing belt or oil leak.

Here's some info about oil leaks in case you're interested in knowing: https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/oil-fluid-leak-inspection

Otto YM
    YourMechanic.com
    facebook.com/yourmech
    twitter.com/yourmechanic
  • kirouackirouac Member Posts: 1
    I have the exact same problem with my 2003 Jetta wagon TDI. Did you ever find out what it was? I would appreciate any feed back. No technician I've talked to seems to have a clue what it could be.
  • slomoshnslomoshn Member Posts: 12
    The issue was a faulty TCM (transmission control module) and the transmission wiring harness.

The error code causes the initiation of "limp mode" in the transmission. This restricts the transmission to 3rd gear to prevent damage until issue is resolved.
  • tigran2tigran2 Member Posts: 1
  • civilenginee1civilenginee1 Member Posts: 2
    I am having the same problem now with my TDi. It started back in Jan. 2013. Did anyone ever find a fix for you? I'm tired of not having a ride.
  • jmb18jmb18 Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2013
    I have been having the same problem with my car with less than 66,000 miles. It randomly shifts into nuetral usually around 3rd gear and has some electrical issue that drains the battery if I do not drive it for a few days. The VW Dealer told me to replace the transmission for $7,000 and see if that fixes the problem. I have taken it to several other people and have been told it is the transmission, mechatronics unit, unknown electrical problem or no idea. I had the transmission fluid replaced and reflashed but did not solve the problem. I also wanted to see if anyone knows if this is the same transmission as the Audi 2002-2006 A4 or A6. They just settled a lawsuit stating the transmission was flawed. It would be nice to know exactly what is causing the problem before I start throwing more money at the car.
  • bullettranybullettrany Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2013
    If the radio was installed rite there is no possible way the radio caused the computer to fail. Maybe if you shorted 2 wires together. If you herd that from the dealer that is false. Check Fluid get a clothes hanger an put in the hole of the trans paint it white and measure 2 in and mark it thats full mark

German engineering is great
    I own a 2003 Jetta And it is the Best, no problems just changed the water pump and timing belt 102000.
    Transmission shifts good i rebuilt the valve body all new electronics at 100000 Fluid still clean.

BulletProof Transmissions
  • bill_simmonsbill_simmons Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 Jetta 1.8t with 5speed tip-tronic automatic transmission that does the exact same thing! And I'm on my second transmission and it's doing the exact same thing again! NEVER AGAIN WILL I EVER BUY A VW/AUDI/PORSCHE with an automatic. This is my second Jetta and my other one had a slipping transmission too!
  • bill_simmonsbill_simmons Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 Jetta 1.8t with 5speed tip-tronic automatic transmission that does the exact same thing! And I'm on my second transmission and it's doing the exact same thing again! NEVER AGAIN WILL I EVER BUY A VW/AUDI/PORSCHE with an automatic. This is my second Jetta and my other one had a slipping transmission too!
  • emiliozziemiliozzi Member Posts: 1
    Yes , those transmissions are well know to give a lot trouble.

The way I use to correct them is by installing a shift kit from , " Trans go " along with a wiring harness from " Rostra presicion controls , Inc " P/n 75 446 from " Transtar " .
    The factory wiring harness is a very , very bad unit .
    The factory should be recalling those trannies .
    Why they do not do it ? . Because it will cost them a lot of money !.
  • richkozrichkoz Member Posts: 1
    SO i have a 99 jetta manual transmission 2.0 and onm my way home from the store i could not go into reverse . i got the car home fine 1st thou 5th worked fine the next morning on my way to work it would shift in to 1st but would not go so i tried 2nd and nothing it got 3rd ok then 4th but not 5th i popped the hood to find that shifter cable was broke at the transmissin so i took off the broken part put a bolt to hold it in place thought problem sloved nope still no 1st 2nd 5th or R anyone that got any ideas
    Replace the broken shift-cables and adjust the linkage.
  • eder_cheddareder_cheddar Member Posts: 1

Hello All,

I thought i'd share my two cents on this issue in case someone might be having the same issue as me. Let me begin.

A year and a half ago I purchased a used 2005 Jetta GLI MK4 edition. It's an automatic with tiptronic. I fell in love with this car and the deal was too good to pass up. The car on had 62k miles on it, competitively priced, and was in good shape.

I bought it from a used car dealer and sadly turned out to be a nightmare/lemon. I had multiple problems with the car but the biggest concern happened 7 months after owning the car. One day I couldn't reverse. I'd sit there revving my engine and nothing would happen until it'd finally lurch backwards (quite dangerous, really) so I finally took it to a mechanic and he thought it was the oil but it was a wild guess. He was going to charge me roughly $300 to check if it was the transmission oil. I, of course passed. He did, however, told me a quick fix was to rev the engine with the handbrake until the right gear kicked in. While driving, everything was fine. The gears would shift smoothly like nothing was wrong; It was just reversing that was a [non-permissible content removed]-show. I remember having to put the car in neutral to reverse. When you're by yourself... this can be a hassle and stupid-looking. I'd be happy if I ended up parking on a slope so if I had to reverse, the natural slope would allow me to go.

I finally took it to a VW mechanic and ran a diagnostic and came back with bad news. I needed a transmission overhaul. It's not cheap. Some places charging $3500-$5k!! I found a ghetto mechanic and he fixed it for $1500.

Thought my woes were over but a few months later it started hard-shifting (Basically shifts hard switching between gears). I took it back and he fixed it (my tranny was luckily still under his warranty) and he told me it was electrical.

Fast forward a few more months and my car is hard-shifting again. Because its late in the day, I opt to take it the next day. While on my way to the mechanic the next morning, my car was shaking violently. Everytime my car was in Drive and I was fully braked, my car would literally tremble violently in place. I left it with him for the day. He calls me and told me I needed to take it to an actual VW dealership so they could check some ECM error.

The next day I drop $125 for VW to tell me I need a new transmission and a transmission control module (TCM) which would cost.... wait for it.... $7000!!!

This news was the icing on the cake. I had already spent several hundred dollars on un-related repairs and was being stubborn as hell letting my car go cause I loved it and cared for it. But having a car LESS than 2 years and having so many terrible problems/issues? Not worth it.

The VW guy at the dealership told me to just fix it and sell it, which is where I'm currently at now. I took my car back to the mechanic so he can fix it but was doing research for a new TCM and couldn't find one and ran into this forum and thought I'd share my story.

If anyone would like to know how this all turns out feel free to private message me because as soon as I fix my Jetta, I'm selling it off. I know people love German engineering but this is ridiculous. I'd love German engineering too if my car wouldn't be [non-permissible content removed] on my every couple of months.

• luvmyjetta1luvmyjetta1 Member Posts: 1

My 2005 automatic jetta tdi w/130k miles just started acting odd. While sitting a stoplight i felt a slight jerk and then realized my PRNDL was flashing on the control panel. I stepped on the gas slightly and it was not in gear, I then shifted it into N waited for about 30seconds and then back to D and it took off as if nothing happened. It has now happened 3 times in the last month. Help any ideas so I dont get taken for a expensive ride please?

• rp831rp831 Member Posts: 1
    my 2000 jetta 2.0 automatic won't shift up out of second gear . I was thinking it was a fluid issue, but when I did a OBD2 diagnostic , it listed a po 740 which is a "torque converter clutch solenoid circuit " thing . Could that be the problem and is it easily repaired ?
  • vw05girlvw05girl Member Posts: 1
    LUVMYJETTA- EXACT SAME THING IS HAPPENING TO MY 2005 JETTA AND I JUST REACHED 71K MILES. I WAS HOPING TO HAVE THIS CAR FOR YRS TO COME. THIS IS GETTING UNNERVING. ALSO, I COULD NOT GET MY KEY "INTO" THE IGNITION. THIS CAN'T BE A COINCIDENCE. I CHECKED THE WEB AND I SAW HUNDREDS OF PEOPLE WITH THIS ISSUE- ONE EVEN RECORDED ON YOU TUBE. WHAT ARE WE TO DO??? I TOOK IT TO THE DEALER WHO SAID I WILL NEED A NEW TRANSMISSION SOON- I THINK THEY KNOW WHAT THE REAL ISSUE IS. I MUST GET A SECOND OPINION. I LOVED THIS CAR UNTIL NOW.
  • mechatony11mechatony11 Member Posts: 3
    I apologize for bringing up this old thread. I had a similar issue with my car, and it turned out that I had a faulty torque converter, it causes transmission to slip in all gears, shudder and overheat. I did a lot of searches on this issue and came on in depth article which may be worth reading, search for "Troubleshooting Volkswagen Transmission Problems on YOUCANIC" and you will see an article that goes over common causes and possible fixes, you can read about it yourself. I hope this information can assist someone else with a similar issue.