Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda5 Tires & Wheels

Comments

• kev604kev604 Member Posts: 30
    Have been debating whether to stick it out this winter with the stock Toyo Proxes A18 all seasons (mine still have alot of meat on them) or to invest in snow tires.
    After giving it some thought I've decided not to chance it and will be looking for 4 snow tires.
    I've decided to go down a size to 205 55 16 rather then stock 205 50 17 to save some money but also more tire choices at that size. I've decided to mount the tires on steel rims. I called around for rim prices and surprisingly got the best quote at one of the local Mazda dealerships. Of the 4 local dealerships I called 2 were stocking rims for winter. They will have it in stock in 2weeks and will call me once they arrive.
    I've decided to go with the Kumho KW17 primarily because it has good all around performance and bang for the buck. I would call my winters here a mild mix of everything from snow to sleet to slush. Also condsidered the Hankook W300 Ice Bear, both are H rated tires.
    The only question I had was with the lug nuts. Some installers have said I can use the same ones I got on. While others have said that what I've got on is fitted for the stock alloys and I would need ones that would be better fitted for the steel rims???
    I was also wondering what snow tires other Mazda 5 owners are using and how their snow tires performed?
  • riproyriproy Member Posts: 57
    I also decided not to go with the stock tires for winter and have a similar concern about lug nuts and look forward to what others have to say.
    For winter tires I went with Federal Himilaya 205/55R16s on steel rims. Rims tires balancing with taxes was 900$CDN. I wonder whether i should have gone with Mazda's package at a local dealer - $1099 for X-Ice on steels rims, taxes included.
  • kev604kev604 Member Posts: 30
    Called a couple of Mazda dealers today both said I should be able to use the original lug nuts. I have lock nuts as well and one said I will be able to use the rims with lock nuts, the other said I wouldn't be able to?

I'm in Vancouver so I won't actually mount the snow tires till end of November. But once the rims come in from Mazda I'll buy the tires then mount them myself when the time comes. I don't want to wait too late and not get the tires I want. I don't want to mount them too early and have unnecessary wear on them. The more miles I put on the stock no season Toyo's the better, once their done I'll get some real rubber to zoom-zoom.

I don't know anything about those Federal Himalayan tires. My first choice was the Michelin X-Ice but passed on them because they were pricey, also the Michelin seemed to be designed for more extreme conditions then I would see in Vancouver. Wanted a tire that had a high level of performance in regular driving conditions as well as winter conditions, and at a reasonable price. Decided on the Kumho KW17, OTD CDN$865 includes steel rims from Mazda, balancing and taxes.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    It's Tuesday, time for our weekly Mazda Club Chat. All the Mazda news, and anything else automotive is fair game. Stop in to meet and greet your fellow forums enthusiasts!

The Mazda Club Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
  • wa98stratwa98strat Member Posts: 66
    It's not a problem. The Mazda 5 doesn't have a TPMS system. There are no sensors or warning lights to worry about.
  • nissmazlovernissmazlover Member Posts: 162
    OK, so I noticed that my driver side, rear tire has a bump/bubble on it on the sidewall. I take it in for servicing, and according to the statement they did a Mazda Full Circle inspection on it, which includes inspection of the tires. The tire still had the bump on it.

Today, I took it in to get the right side, rear shock replaced since they said it was faulty. I told them about the bump/bubble in my tire and he said that it is dangerous to have that and that I should get the tire replaced.

I'm wondering why they didn't say or notice this before when I got it serviced. And I am also wondering if it really is all that dangerous to have a bubble on the tire. I mean, it's been there for a while and nothing's happened. I also asked the technician if it was possible to get it replaced from the manufacturer since it could have been a defective tire since I haven't hit a curb or done anything out of the ordinary to cause a bubble. He said it was extremely difficult for a tire manufacturer to admit it was defective and to give a new tire and that he has never seen it happen. So, I am wondering if that is true as well.

I have an 06 Carbon Mica Gray, Mazda 5 Touring with the 17 inchers - I believe they are Toyo tires? Any advice on all the above, please? Thanks!
    OK, so I noticed that my driver side, rear tire has a bump/bubble on it on the sidewall. I take it in for servicing, and according to the statement they did a Mazda Full Circle inspection on it, which includes inspection of the tires. The tire still had the bump on it.

Today, I took it in to get the right side, rear shock replaced since they said it was faulty. I told them about the bump/bubble in my tire and he said that it is dangerous to have that and that I should get the tire replaced.

I'm wondering why they didn't say or notice this before when I got it serviced. And I am also wondering if it really is all that dangerous to have a bubble on the tire. I mean, it's been there for a while and nothing's happened. I also asked the technician if it was possible to get it replaced from the manufacturer since it could have been a defective tire since I haven't hit a curb or done anything out of the ordinary to cause a bubble. He said it was extremely difficult for a tire manufacturer to admit it was defective and to give a new tire and that he has never seen it happen. So, I am wondering if that is true as well.

I have an 06 Carbon Mica Gray, Mazda 5 Touring with the 17 inchers - I believe they are Toyo tires? Any advice on all the above, please? Thanks!
  • kw_dakw_da Member Posts: 76
    Hi,

Google is your friend ;) - see michelin website. There are also other references to bubbles appearing without impacts - probably defects. It appears that the bubbles are dangerous and the tire should be replaced asap as it is a sign of the tread separating. In my opinion, the tire company should replace it, especially if your car is fairly new, and you didn't hit the tire (don't know how they can tell). Tell us how it turns out.

David
    I feel like a bad owner, are the tires Michelin or are they Toyos on the US Mazda 5's?
    Hi,

I believe the US tires are Toyo, just read it off your tire :) . It appears some people have Michelins (Canadian?).

From reading other information on the web, others have mentioned problems with Toyo's bubbling. It also appears that if you take the tire off, if there is damage on the inside - this shows that you must have hit something. I am definitely not a expert - may be someone else knows more.

It also appears that these 17" tire are expensive to replace. Hopefully, by the time it comes around for us to replace, they'll be cheaper.

David
  • rcinmdrcinmd Member Posts: 139
    From what I have seen, there are 16" wheels available for the Mazda5. I'm wondering if anyone has determined whether or not a 15" rim is available, or might there be clearance issues with some of the brake or suspension hardware? Doing the math, a 195/65-15 tire is a near perfect match to the OEM 17" size in terms of overall diameter.
    You need a 16" rim minimum to clear the brake mechanism on the M5. This is what my Mazda dealer told me.
    Hi,

The Costco I use now puts nitrogen in their tires (its what the sickly green tire caps mean). They don't charge anything if you buy your tires from them. I have noticed that I don't need to repressurize the tires as often to bring them back to the specified pressure. If the tires are at the correct pressure, they'll last longer. Its sort of surprising that I noticed a difference since air is ~80% nitrogen anyway.

David
  • sschribersschriber Member Posts: 89
    Since air is almost 80% nitrogen anyway, I'm not sure what that extra 20% buys you....
    The theory is that the oxygen content in the air combined with the heat generated by driving, over time causes an increased level of oxidation to the rubber inside the tire.

Could be. My guess is that the tread is going to wear down to the point that the tires need to be changed long before the tire becomes useless from rotting away from the inside.
    I agree that 20% more N2 shouldn't make much of a difference (see my post). But my experience is that it keeps tire pressure better.

I did some research on the web. See link I think that the main effect might be the lower moisture content in the gas. If you use normal air, it contains moisture and this moisture can change the pressure as it heats and cools. I believe the nitrogen is low moisture content.

Regards,

David
    I've heard the same about moisture and more consistent tire pressure withregad to racing tires. Of course, their tires are dealing with a different set of problems than street tires!
  • carlito101carlito101 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, i was just wondering if anyone knows what the max tire size would be for a 2002 mazda Protege 5 ? My bro just got one and wanted to upsize the tire cause of the cost on the low profile. i was thinking a 205/55R16 would fit but i need to know if it would fit or not. PLSSSSS help i could not find info anywhere else
  • fiveandfivefiveandfive Member Posts: 4
    You might want to check on the Protege5 forum, but since I have both a Mazda5 and a Pro5 I'll tell you I have Kumho Ecsta Supra's on the Pro5, they are 205-50-R15's. No clearance issues,much better wet traction than the Dunlops at 25K, but they wander over road imperfections.
  • fiveandfivefiveandfive Member Posts: 4
    I meant 205-55-R16.
  • dcdingodcdingo Member Posts: 21
    My wife, who mainly drives our 5, is complaining about front wheel slippage in wet conditions and is already fretting about snow. I thought I'd get a set of 16" wheels and different tires, as others have done for winter. But here's my worry, will a winter-pattern tire be even worse in the wet? Grateful for any suggestions. We live in Washington D.C., so we don't need an aggressive snow tire.
  • athenasiusathenasius Member Posts: 118
    Nitrogen molecules are larger this makes it harder for them to escape. The Oxygen and moister and other gases are many more times easier to be released from the tire. If you check your tire pressure every week (which few do) then what you put in your tire is of little concern. The issue comes in when the tired pressure decreases as this will affect tire ware and gas mileage.
  • caliaghicaliaghi Member Posts: 7
    Hi everybody!
    I have a Mazda5 GT and I would like to know if I can change the regular size with 215/50/17...Thanks in advance.
    I am sure that you can put on the wider tires. It will affect several things though - all due to the larger tire. 1. the speedometer will be out (you will be going faster that your dash says) 2. It will take more torque to get the wheels going - but the revs will be lowered on the highway. 3. the wider the tire that farther it takes the water to be expelled in the rain (more chance of hydroplaning - this is of course based on like tread based tires). 4. you will have more traction in the dry weather as you will have a larger footprint on the ground. 5. the car will sit higher...well that is my 2 cents hehe. I will go for wider tires myself after my 17" ones are burnt off. as the front is so light there is very limited traction with the toyo crap tires. lol
  • caliaghicaliaghi Member Posts: 7
    thanks athenasius, much appreciate the info....what tire do you intend to put on? and yes, Toyo tires are really junk.
  • vinnyfastvinnyfast Member Posts: 33
    I'm thinking of getting a set of Hankook tires to replace the Toyo's I currently have before next winter. I'm sure by then I'll have around 50,000km. I currently have 36,000km and the Toyo's aren't gripping like they use to when brand new. Currently, they are 205/50-17, but would like to go to 225/45-17. This will keep the same diameter but should give better handling if not a slight loss in ride quality. HAs anyone else changed to a different tire size similiar to this? Would really like to know if it makes a difference, thanks!
    Sorry Caliaghi, As i have winter tires I will not have to replace my toyo crap for a bit. Next spring i will start to look into it. For a starter I would make sure the tire had great sips(as the front end is lighter that the rear.
    Winter tire: For anyone interested these are my winter tires. I have never been stuck and have been in snow well above the door sills. They are great on the highway and in town. I went down to 16" as the increase sidewall increase winter tire traction. http://www.nokiantyres.com/passengercars_product_en?product=610499&name=NOKIAN+H- AKKAPELIITTA+RSi
  • truckasaurustruckasaurus Member Posts: 44
    I was reading a UK web site www.whatcar.co.uk. Some folks in the reader review section were saying that the UK version of the 5 has been giving problems with premature tire wear (tyres in UK speak). We have 12000 miles on our 5 after 2 years and the tires look fine and are wearing evenly. anyone seeing anything like this?
  • industryexpertindustryexpert Member Posts: 4
    I would like to help clear the air and provide an understandable explanation about tire balancing, Road Force, etc.....

After reading through some archived messages, I feel disheartened about all the misinformation that has been conveyed to consumers.

My name should let you know- I am an ASE certified auto technician that now works much closer to the tire and wheel industry in a very unique way that I promise can help you understand what is going on with your vehicle and why certain remedies work sometimes, and why some work all the time.

My goal is to help anyone better understand what they can do to eleviate their own frustrations by making sure the job gets done right the first time.

Fire away!!!

My apologies in advance for barging in on this posting- I am a new user and can not find where to post a new message- any help would be appreciated.
  • capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    Industryexpert:

Try posting on the forum "Tires, Tires, Tires"

But I should warn you, there are some fairly knowledgeable folks that post there, so you better have your act together.
  • dr_whodr_who Member Posts: 8
    I think the 50 series tires on the Mazda5 are silly (and expensive!). Has anyone tried a set of 15" rims with something like 205 65 15 tires? Should be roughly the same diameter, but tire life is likely to be longer, and tire cost is likely to be much less.
    Anything smaller than a 16" rim will not clear the brake mechanism. Sorry..
  • raceymomraceymom Member Posts: 18
    I have a 2006 Mazda 5 and the tires are WORN and need replacing at just 17,000 miles. I did have a recall on both the front and back suspension and had it all replaced so I think the premature tire wear on the TOYOs are due to this. In any event, Mazda is replacing my tires on warranty and they should. Good luck! :P
  • bigbear54bigbear54 Member Posts: 8
    I just had to replace all 4 tires at 29,000 miles they are the 205/50R/17 and they are expensive, the cheapest I could find are BF Goodrich at 141.00 per tire if you want the expensive ones just try Good Year Eagles almost 200.00 per tire, these tires are high speed rated tires, who the hell is going to drive around at 140 + in a little mini van? There needs to be an alternate tire that at least gives good tread wear!!
  • x5savx5sav Member Posts: 46
    Have you try discount tire direct? It has Yokohama YK520, for $109. Mileage warranty is 60K miles.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    You should try it, it's fun!

• gotheliagothelia Member Posts: 1
    My sister has a 2007 Mazda 5, it has 3000 miles on it. It hit a pothole and blew out the whole side of a tire. Is this covered under warranty? And exactly what size tire did this model come with? What is the least expensive replacement tire on the market?

Thx in advance!

Pam
  • coolmazda5coolmazda5 Member Posts: 525
    :(

The stock tires are Toyos A18 205/15 R17 (US, it is marked on the tire side). I'm afraid to say that that issue may not be part of the warranty as is not a tire defect.

With so few miles I would look for the same Toyo to replace it. Now, worst case scenario, if its really pricy or you don't find the same Toyo, I would at least get a couple of a different brand tires and replace them in the same axis (front or back) so they wear uniformly, otherwise only one different brand tire may make the car feel weird or not very stable.

Anyway, here is a good site: http://www.tirerack.com
  • w00000tw00000t Member Posts: 23
    Well I must admit..I'm in the U.S. and I bought my 2006 Mazda5 used (22k miles) and it had new tires. I wondered why in the world a car with only 22k miles needed new tires. I had a talk with my father about that issue and told him I was weary of buying a car that I would have to buy $200/each tires for every 20k miles but he explained to me that the type of tires on the Mazda5, how the Mazda5 drives/handles, etc. CAN wear them down quick (and bad) if you do not keep an eye on the pressure. I'm thinking of getting them filled with Nitrogen......
  • coolmazda5coolmazda5 Member Posts: 525
    Nitrogen? Interesting...

I've read from some other owners as well and here are some of the comments:

a) Toyo are the original equipment from the manufacturer and they are not the best for this type of tire anyway. There are better and cheaper tires in the market. Regardless, some owners have driven 30K+ miles on them with no issues.

b) I agree with your father, for this type of tires (low profile) keep a close eye on the air pressure whenever possible and rotate every time you service the car. Yes, my other car is a Honda and I was spoiled somehow. As a matter of fact, on that car I changed tires not because of wear, but because of crazy weather conditions plus I was traveling a lot so the mileage was very low compared to the model year (I had no garage) so the rubber just went awry and became unsafe.

Now, to me the Mazda5 tires make a huge difference (looks and drive) so they are worth the extra care.
    Yes, nitrogen. I can't remember where I read it (probably on here somewhere, actually) but nitrogen helps prolong tire life and keep the same amount (or very darn close) amount of pressure in them.

This morning I freaked out almost to the point of crying because I got in my car to take my son to school and my tires started shaking. My father and I had JUST checked the pressure and put exactly 34 in all tires THREE DAYS EARLIER.
    What had happened was, was the day before, it was 95 degrees outside, very dry, but last night it dropped down to around 50 degrees and even frosted a little, was very HUMID. Just that caused my tire pressure to go wonky!
    By the way, nitrogen is not expensive.. I think you can have it done at a car place for no more than $10/tire.
    I don't know the exact price though because my dad races motorcycles and already has nitrous and nitrogen tanks in the garage.......
  • tacoman1tacoman1 Member Posts: 6
    Kumho makes a really nice tire. The Ecsta ASX. I had them on my Impala SS which the Mazda replaced. Very grippy tire and extremely quiet. I believe the fitment for the Mazda5 is priced around $95 dollars. Just got my 5 so can't swap the toyos yet, but the ASX is a wonderful tire.
  • arshadmarshadm Member Posts: 1
    Ihave 2006 mazda5,having same problem rear tires are gone,so I talk to mazda people and ofcourse they are blaming me oh you did not rotate the tire thats why it happend,then they blame toyo tire company.so I called toyo tire company they said there is problem with mazda5 even if you change your tire it will be the same problem there is no guarantee for the tires,why dont we all write to mazda car and ask them to rectify the problem.I also have nissan quest for last 8years no problem there and this brnd new car giving so much problem
    they're BIG tires on a pretty heavy car that accelerates and stops pretty good. You HAVE to keep tabs on the pressure, tires like that have pressure that go ALL OVER the place and if you drive them while the pressure is off (especially on the highway), they're going to be ruined. Think about it.. $8 for a tire pressure gauge, free air at the gas station, $40 for nitrogen in your tires compared to oh... $150 a tire every 25k miles..Pretty self explanatory here.
    If you have searched Mazda5 owner forums you will see that MANY people who just kept tabs on the pressure and/or put nitrogen in their tired ended up very happy in the end.
  • wegot2wegot2 Member Posts: 2
    I just replaced the original Toyos on my 06 Mazda5 (with TPMS) at 50K; alignment problems early on had caused feathering. I put on 4 of the Kumho Ecsta ASX, filled with nitrogen ($30 extra), and what an improvement in the ride quality! I have Kumhos on my 02 Protege5 (after 2 sets of Dunlops), and have been happy with them there as well.
  • mozammozam Member Posts: 1
    I've gotten different feedback from dealers on putting 16" snow tires on my 2007 Mazda5. The current tires are 205/50/R17.

Anyone have any experience going outside of the dealer (e.g. Tirerack.com)?

Thanks.
  • miwhitemiwhite Member Posts: 6
    I replaced my 205/50 17 all season tires with 205/55 16 snow tires. No problems.
    Same for me: 205/55 R16 winter tires
  • mrbwa1mrbwa1 Member Posts: 42
    I bought a set of Dunlop Wintersport 3Ds mounted on steelies from tirerack.com. Great place and easy to deal with. 205/55 16s mount and run just fine!

Mazda5