Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda CX-7 iPod, Stereo, Sirius, AUX

124»

Comments

• cx7mikecx7mike Member Posts: 3
    Double Sweet!! Thanks a lot.... Yikes, that procedure is kinda scary to think I'd need to dismantle all those parts in the full booklet.

C92, I must not be pulling in the right direction or not hard enough, but I can't get the bezel to budge anywhere around it. I began to concentrate at the "B" points since those directions indicate they is first. Am I just being too easy? I will NEVER hear the end of it from my wife if I scratch or tear the plastic. Thx.
  • gmohr0222gmohr0222 Member Posts: 2
    Hey there...I'm new to the CX-7 club. Picked up my Grand Touring AWD (no tech package) Galaxy Gray on Monday. 24 hours later, I ripped into the dash to install an FM modulator (direct wired) for my iPod use. From the reading I've done, this seems to be a pretty stable option. The part itself was $40 at Best Buy. Supposedly, when the modulator is powered (by a rocker switch), it shuts off the outside antenna and overrides the signal with one of its own...on a designated channel outlined on the modulator. The iPod connects to the modulator via RCA jacks, so I'm just using a mini plug to RCA to run the iPod. The sound won't be CD-quality, but it'll sure be better than an FM transmitter.

Mechanically, I've had no problems thanks to several of the posts above. Electrically, I'm at a stand-still. There are no wiring diagrams available for the stereo and I don't know which wire to tap into to pull the ACC+ power from. I'm a little "green" when it comes to this part.

Any suggestions for the wiring? Recommendations? Has anyone else tried this? If not, I'll let you know soon enough (hopefully)">
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    ACC Power is Light Blue with a Black stripe. Be sure to double check with a meter or test light.
  • gmohr0222gmohr0222 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, maltb. I actually found that the larger red wire with grey strip is also a 12V ignition controlled wire.

The FM Modulator when switched on completely clears out the FM transmission from the antenna and allows a direct-wired connection from the iPod to the factory radio.

It may not use the Bose Centerpoint, but it still has great sound. Very inexpensive installation job to have full functionality of my iPod.
  • jazztranejazztrane Member Posts: 2
    I've searched all over and can't find this topic on here, so I thought I'd try in the "audio" thread.

Has anyone replaced the stock HU in a Grand Touring edition, where the climate control displays are in the upper info display? I want to make sure if I buy a GT that this information will still show & work with an aftermarket HU. I really want to add a Navi HU like the Pioneer D3, I assume the clock will not work as someone with a Sport edition told me his didn't after replacing. I can live w/o the clock, but not w/o knowing what temp my hvac is set at! :) Anyone done this, or can direct me to the proper thread for this info? Thanks!!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    If you can't find a suitable place for your question after checking all the topics in the Mazda CX-7 group then use the "Add a Discussion" link there to create a new one!

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • carlitos92carlitos92 Member Posts: 458
    No offense intended to CarSpace, but you should try Google. A year ago people were already making their own bezels for aftermarket HUs. I remember one website/blog I found had photos and a step-by-step.

I haven't done this myself (I am too "old-school" for NAV, and I love the stock stereo) but it seems to me that Mazda probably uses the same display for all CX-7s, and since you can get the Bose without the auto A/C, it stands to reason that the radio and HVAC displays are independent. Good luck!

-c92
  • jazztranejazztrane Member Posts: 2
    Well the dealer talked to their service mgr who said that there are 2 wires going into the Grand Touring info display, one for radio, one for climate control, so he said it should still work. Crutchfield also verified that through their tech's, so I'm pretty confident it will work. I assumed Mazda would have those separate, but its tough to buy a car based on an assumption that could turn out wrong.

Now I'm just trying to verify if you can easily add an aftermarket radio in the Bose-equipped CX-7 or if that will cause problems. I like the idea of the additional speakers, but still want to change the HU.
  • sferguson3sferguson3 Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a CX-7 Grand Touring. The sound using the iPod integration module thru my BOSE system is excellent. But not having a display of the songs is so very frustrating. The iPod connection is one of the main reasons I purchased this SUV.

I just found this message board and I think this is great. I just have two questions, does anyone have any email(s) address to someone at Mazda I can contact? Is Mazda planning on correcting this problem of not able to see titles?

Has anyone else installed the Harmon/Kurdon Drive and Play? It looks like the next best thing?

It's so good to know I'm not the only one upset about this. OK three questions.
    I agree, it's frustrating at minimum and should have never been released that way. The display limitations are that of the CX-7 radio and not the module so there will be no way to update this in the future. Mazda used the existing CD changer port (old Alpine technology) for auxiliary input. Future Mazdas starting with the '08 Mazda5 will have better text capability.

All I can suggest is setting up your first 5 playlists for use in your CX-7.

Also, if you re-boot your iPod (hold down Menu and Select) while the CX-7 stereo is in another mode (like FM), you will still have the sound connection, but control and display revert to the iPod. The CX-7 will display meaningless track numbers, etc. What sucks here is you'd have to do it every time you start the vehicle. That tip is best used on long drives.
    I'll play angel's advocate here and say that Mazda at least gave us a semi-integrated option versus the alternative of a simple "aux in jack" which to me would not be as good.

Sferguson, I never used to use playlists at all, but have gotten used to them and now treat a playlist much like I would a CD binder in the old days. Before I head to work, I simply make a playlist (or two or three) and can switch between them on the road, like I would CDs in the changer. Incidentally, from what I can remember, there is only a theoretical limit to number of playlists or songs - I know I've had over 10 playlists, and at times some of those have had over 100 songs.

It'd have been nice if Mazda set the display up for text/title capability in the early CX-7s, but I don't really miss it... 11,000 songs on my iPod and I can still name most of them by memory after hearing the first 10 seconds. "Your tuneage may vary." ;)

-c92
  • johnny__rfjohnny__rf Member Posts: 83
    carlitos: believe it or not, there are some of us out here who would have preferred a simple aux in jack as we are not ipod owners. believe it or not, there are non-Apple mp3 players out there being used...

If the cx-7 had this input jack, I would be able to plug and play my mp3 player in to the cx-7 and use the mp3 player display to see what songs and playlists are playing.

i know I am in the majority here but.............
  • rex10rex10 Member Posts: 24
    FYI - A third party vendor has released an iPod adapter that does display the song/artist info (using the text knob on the head unit). It also allows an aux jack in addition to the ipod jack. I bought a different third party adapter from audiolink, but then I saw this one. Don't have any experience with it but heard about it while reading an RX-8 message board. I think the trick is that they use the connector where the satellite radio hooks up, which does allow text info to be relayed. Sold on ebay stores here
    ...and it even fits the rare and valuable 2006 model. ;)
    understood. though i have that aux-in setup in another car's aftermarket head unit and really don't like it because it takes my eyes of the road too much trying to control the player. plus, trying to match all the volume levels (and then remember to put them back so i don't blast myself into deafness) is a pain for me. maybe the OEM setups work better.

i don't have "apple" tattoos or anything, but i still think you meant "minority..." :)
  • sferguson3sferguson3 Member Posts: 2
    Matltb thank you soooo much. I have over 1300 songs and the playlist solution was not working for me. I purchased the iPod so I could take all my music with me and play whatever I feel like hearing when I feel like hearing it.

Using the re-boot solution I can now get to the music I want to hear and still have a great connection. I am happy to give up using the radio controls to be able to hear what I want to hear when I want to hear it.

THIS IS GREAT. Again thank you so much. I'm going to suggest to Mazda that they include this in their manual. My wife thanks you also now she doesn't have to listen to me complaining about the integration module.

Now I can complain about the iPod Touch with only 16GB.
    Thanks again
    You're welcome.

As far as getting it in the manual, I don't think that's going to happen for a number of reasons that I won't get into.
  • samiamcharisamiamchari Member Posts: 5
    Hi,

Any idea why my home-made MP3 tunes will display the title/track on the nav screen, but the store-bought CD's will not display the title/track? Yes, I've read the manual and there isn't any sort of adjustment to be made that I can tell. It's just "supposed" to automatically appear...

Thanks for your help. Chari
    Your home-made CDs are "tagged" by the software you use to catalog them, likely getting the info from the internet. Only some of the store bought CDs have this info in a format that the head unit can read.
  • samiamcharisamiamchari Member Posts: 5
    Hmm, I did NOT know that! Thanks. Chari
  • apngburkapngburk Member Posts: 3
    Unknown to most navi owners, the navigation unit for the CX-7 does have support for auxiliary input. For some reason mazda chose not to enable this functionality or to provide the input jack. Following the thread found at the following link I was able to enable the media button (to activate aux1) and to install a 3.5mm stereo jack in my cx-7 with navigation. The total cost was $35.

How to install aux-input
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Nice - maybe you can write up a guide on it too? Spread the wealth. :shades:
  • dmele426dmele426 Member Posts: 33
    i am looking to replace my factory installed radio with a Kenwood HD/CD/MP3 radio. Any advice on what tools I need to get the job done?
    I am also replacing all the speakers in my car, any advice will be appreciated!
  • jakes0616jakes0616 Member Posts: 1
    I am installing a parrot ck3000 blue tooth device in my CX-7 (2008). How do I get to the back of the radio, and to the ignition harness. Any advice on what tools I may need? and any hints on taking apart any of the dashboard to get to the radio and ignition dash. Thank You
  • jake70jake70 Member Posts: 1
    I had the ipod adapter installed in my MX-5 & found out that it doesn`t support ipod shuffle. Is there a way I can sync my ipod useing itunes to load it in a shuffle format?
    It`s driving me Crazy!! I am new to this ipod thing & the itunes site is hard to use for me. Help Me jake 70
  • jchoijchoi Member Posts: 1
    I bought an aftermarket Sirius radio which I have sitting atop my dash. Does anyone know whether there is an aux input in the back of the base radio unit that I can connect my Sirius radio to? And what type of cable is required?
  • craftsburycraftsbury Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2010
    I would love to have this radio, but as a 76-year-old widow, I don't know about cost and installation. Any help? Would also like to know whether this model can use regular fuel instead of premium.
  • lexsdadlexsdad Member Posts: 1
    I was curious if you knew of any problems with the auxiliary ports in the center console of the 09 CX7 Grand Touring models with the technology package. Everything works fine with the stereo but the when I switch it to AUX mode and turn on my ipod nothing plays. My nav, sirius, cd and FM/AM are all fine. Is there a certain brand of cable you recommend using or is there just an issue with the system?

Thank you,
    Stephen
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
  • teachersrockteachersrock Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased a 2010 CX-7 Grand Touring. When testing it I was all thrilled with buttons on the steering wheel that I didn't even check the buttons on the console (front). Well, it seems that they don't work most of time. Lots of push-push-pushing until they work. Anyone else have this same problem? Easy fix or should I return it to the dealer.

Thanks