Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Azera Front End Problems

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I think the question has to be asked-- "compared to what?"

Compared to a GM car or a Lexus, the Genesis handles fine. Compared to a BMW---no, it's not even close. So say the mags anyway.
  • allmet33allmet33 Member Posts: 3,557
    I agree with you completely. I can take it one further and say the Genesis suspension doesn't compare to that of an Audi A6 (which I just purchased this past weekend). Honestly...the Germans seem to have a strong handle (no pun intended) on what good handling should be. Don't get me wrong, the Japanese do extremely well too, but whenever anyone talks suspension...BMW always seems to be the standard. Another company that seems to have a hand in other car makers' suspensions is Lotus, and of course we know that Benz is tops too.

Honestly, I could go as far as saying that the suspension on the Genesis is as good as most that come from the Japanese makers and will hold up well against most American offerings as well. Of course I'm talking about cars of the same ilk as the Genesis.

However, the suspension must offer something good if the skid pad numbers were pretty darn good as it out performed a Benz E550 (0.89 g) & a BMW 550i (0.90 g) in dry cornering by posting a 0.94 g. It was also said to be on par with other performance sedans known for handling in regards to slalom testing. Check out the videos for yourself...

Hyundai Genesis Performance Videos
    All well and good but we've all probably been victim of "looks good on paper" and then we drive the car and it's a whole other sensation.

A skateboard gets excellent ratings on a skidpad I bet. :P
    Actually...I used to ride skateboards in my youth...I wouldn't bank on skidpad #'s from a skateboard!!! LOL

I would agree with the looks good on paper statement, but they actually show the cars in action in the videos. In order for them to get those #'s...testing had to be done, so it's not like they are projected #'s.
  • cobrazeracobrazera Member Posts: 352
    If they like the wallowing, porpusing and unsafe bobbing about
    from lack of proper jounce and rebound control, that's fine with me!

I can't say that I would like the sort of symptoms you describe, but my 2006 Azera does not exhibit any of them - at least under the conditions in which it is operated. I see that you live in California, the land of high speed and good roads.

Here in Michigan, due to a combination of a cash strapped government and constant thawing and refreezing during the winter, our roads are atrocious. The soft ride of the Azera seems to be designed for these conditions. The previous comments in this blog concerning the roughness of Korean roads shows me where Hyundai gets its priorities for suspension.

It just seems odd how some posters here are convinced that we Azera owners who do not have suspension problems are simply too ignorant to see the problems that are so obviously there ( at least to them ). Granted, I do not operate my Azera at extremely high speeds, but up to 80MPH on the freeway it works just fine and is superb on the nasty side roads.
  • jaszijaszi Member Posts: 7
    I'm in Ohio and have had the same problem that everyone else has with my 2006 Azera. I got the parts replaced in the fall as suggested by several of the other posters because I had been one who was going back and forth with the dealership. I do not hold anything against those who have not experienced the same problems that many of us have, they were just lucky to not have to experience it. My car seems to be working fine for now.
    No I'm not a Buckeye! I'm a Spartan and I'm proud of that.
  • tonycdtonycd Member Posts: 223
    Hey Allmet, congratulations on your A6.

Does this new acquisition replace your Azera? I know you did a lot of terrific mods to it.
    Tonycd...the A6 actually replaced the Outlook we had. We needed to scale back a bit. So...the good news is, I still have my Azera!!! ;)

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to drive it for almost a month now as the dealer is waiting for the seat heating element to get here from Korea so it can be replaced. :sick: They've got me in a loaner (09 Sonata w/I4 engine) and it SUCKS!!! The best thing about the car is the XM radio and the USB connectivity (I have been plugging 2 GB flash drives in and listening to all kinds of music. I tell you, going from my Azera to the Sonata is like going from a Harley to a bicycle! LOL

Stay tuned...still more mods to come on the Azera, but at the same time...I've gotta put in some work on fixin up the wife's A6. Nothing over the top, but she wants to shine a little too.
  • khathuykhathuy Member Posts: 5
    After you change the strut mounts, do they only solve problem or they also solve the bouncing over rough road problem. Thanks
    I had a rental 4-banger Sonata, base trim, a few months back. Decent transit capsule sort of a car; the only real irritant was that they seemed to reserve seat padding for the Limited version. Of course, it wasn't a real big performer either.
  • newguy6newguy6 Member Posts: 34
    My azera really never had any problem bouncing on rough roads {and we have plenty of them is Iowa] . Whenever it encountered a rough road or railroad tracks it would act as if there were loose logs bouncing around in the front end. After the fix,the noise is gone.
  • spoolenturbospoolenturbo Member Posts: 5
    When you say "after the fix." What did you get fixed that helped out the suspension issue? Is the suspension covered under the 60K warranty?
    I have a 2006 Limited with 45k on it and would love to fix the issue with the "clunking" sound and we also experience the same issue you mentioned about the RR tracks. What did mention to the service writer to check?

Thanks in advance.

- Jim
  • tseverson1tseverson1 Member Posts: 13
    I have posted two messages on the Azera 2008 forum. I am combining and consolidating the posts into a single post on this forum since the subject now concerns the front end suspension issue.

Part of post #470 on Azera 2008 forum:

I have read Hyundai message boards on Edmunds for all of one day.

I am looking at Hyundai for the first time (found good reviews on the Azera) and have much to learn.

I found a used 2008 Azera Limited 3.8L (18,000) online at a local non-Hyundai dealership.

From your Hyundai warranty experiences, how well does Hyundai stand behind their warranty?

All of post #472 on Azera 2008 forum:

Update and further questions on the 2008 Hyundai Azera I am considering purchasing from a non-Hyundai dealership.

I looked at the build date for the 2008 Azera (on the bottom of the door pillar between the drive’s door and the back seat door). The build date was June 02, 2007 so the Azera is a candidate for the “dreaded front suspension problem” (cars built after 10/20/07 have better quality shock absorbs than those build before 10/20/07). I printed out a copy of TSB 07-50-007 which covers this issue.

From what I read in the Hyundai forums the TSB calls for a replacement of an inferior front shock absorber 54611-3L041 with an equally inferior front shock absorber 54611-3L040. I understand the real solution to the problem is to install a better quality front shock absorber 54611-3L640.

Do ALL 2008 Hyundai Azera sedans built before 10/20/07 need all four of their shock absorbers upgraded to the new and better quality shock absorbers? I understand the back 2 shock absorbers have different part numbers than the front 2 shock absorbers.

Has Hyundai developed a solution to this problem that is available to me if I purchase this vehicle?

Do I forget this vehicle or is there a way to purchase the car and get the better shock absorbers (i.e. the 54611-3L640 on the front) installed without any additional cost to me?

I am not interested in purchasing a 2008 automobile with existing problems.

Any suggestions on how to proceed is appreciated.
    I was lucky when I went to Commerce Hyundai in Commerce, CA and was able to get the latest 640 for my front. The car rides the same in regards to the soft suspension. After I changed the new struts the noise is still there. This convinces me that it may not be the struts, rather it is only due to the strut mounts abd struts insulator like some other posts were mentionning. If you can't get Hyundai to pay for it, the parts are not that much if you want to get it from http://www.1sthyundaiparts.com/partscat.html.
    The mount is about $32 each side. I don't know about the labor from your area. I can find Independent Mechanics here changing for $50 each side.
    After seating in other cars (2004 BMW328i, 2002 Acura TL, 2008 Honda Accord) when I carpool on the same road every day with my co-workers, I found out that the ride on the Azera was not that bad at all. The noise is there but unless you really pay attention and the road is really rough, you may be able to hear it if you have the stereo off. As a matter of fact, the Azera is probably one of the most quiet among the others cars. Of course it is also one of the softest ride car. I don't find a problem with the soft ride because strangely it is only soft when you go straight on the rough and uneven road, however, when you turn it feels pretty solid and safe (to me). I trade in my 1998 Q45 for this azera and the ride is very similar with the Q45. Compare to my wife German BMW, it is totally a different ride. The BMW does handle much better but it is a liitle too hard and bumpy for me (She has the Sport suspension). Whatever I said here is my own opinion and i do not mean to offend anyone with BMW, Acura or Honda. I didn't mean to say Axera is better but for the money that I paid, i think it's a value. I paid less than $14000 for a fully loaded (with the ultimate package) V6 2006 azera with leather and only has 9000 miles on it with the remaing 3 years and 50K warranty on it.
  • donna388donna388 Member Posts: 69
    "I looked at the build date for the 2008 Azera (on the bottom of the door pillar between
    the drive’s door and the back seat door). The build date was June 02, 2007 so the
    Azera is a candidate for the “dreaded front suspension problem” (cars built after
    10/20/07 have better quality shock absorbs than those build before 10/20/07).
    I printed out a copy of TSB 07-50-007 which covers this issue."

You are considering a 2008 which has the same shocks front and back as the 2007s.
    Read that TSB again. It does not apply to any Azeras built after February 26, 2007.

"From what I read in the Hyundai forums the TSB calls for a replacement of an inferior front
    shock absorber 54611-3L041 with an equally inferior front shock absorber 54611-3L040.
    I understand the real solution to the problem is to install a better quality front shock absorber 54611-3L640."

Where are you going to find a better quality front shock? Not from Hyundai.
    Front 640s are not a solution to the problem, as the 640 parts have
    failed in a number of vehicles in which they have been installed.
    There is one person who paid for the 640 shock parts for both front and back and
    installed them himself and I have ridden in his car and it is half-way decent.
    But mine and many others have had the fronts only done and most all of us are not happy as these 640 parts can go bad the same as the 041s and the 040s have done.
    I am on my third set of shocks and all sets have failed. Had to threaten the Lemon-Law
    to get the 640s installed even though the mecahnic that did the TSB replacements
    said the 040s were bad. (He got fired for not changing his recommendation.)

"Do ALL 2008 Hyundai Azera sedans built before 10/20/07 need all four of their shock absorbers upgraded to the new and better quality shock absorbers? I understand the back 2 shock absorbers have different part numbers than the front 2 shock absorbers."

The latest vehicles, those built after 10/20/07 have 640s all around, both front and rear.
    The front parts are 54611-3L640
    The rear parts are 55311-3L640

"Has Hyundai developed a solution to this problem that
    is available to me if I purchase this vehicle?"

In a word NO.

"Do I forget this vehicle or is there a way to purchase the car and get the better shock
    absorbers (i.e. the 54611-3L640 on the front) installed without any additional cost to me?"

In a word YES.
    Forget it unless you want to go to the expense yourself of installing and paying for both front and rear shocks and while that might correct the problem, it is not guaranteed.

In my case, the dealer told me that the 640s would not fit.
    After threating to go Lemon-Law, all of a sudden those front parts
    were authorized as a "Goodwill' gesture by the factory rep.
    But within a very few short miles, the newest wore off and the front end was
    porpusing, wallowing and undulating from side to side just as it had done
    before with the bad original 041s and the TSB replacement 040s.
    Hyundai does not have any decent shocks for the Azera, and does not seem
    to be the slightest bit interested in correcting this engineering shortcoming.
    No one and I mean no body makes an aftermarket shock to address this problem.
    I suspect that there may not be any more Azeras after the MY 2009s.
    Hyundais' attitude is to not be bothered with fixing this one problem
    which ruins and otherwise excellent automobile.

"I am not interested in purchasing a 2008 automobile with existing problems."

As I have outlined above, IF you drive this car that you are interested in
    and I mean really drive it over all kinds of roads for many miles and
    you can be satisfied with the way it rides, go for it.

Good luck with your decision and please keep us posted.

:D
    I just kept complaining about the clunk, I think the turning point came when my wife finally heard it. She got the service manager to also hear it and the "fix" was on.
    What they did was replace what they called the upper strut mount. You can not believe the diferance, it's great. Yes it was covered by the warranty. Of course I had complained about it since the car was new and did have a claim number at Hyundai. USA. I think the service department was happy to get rid on me. It was worth the hassle, the clunk is gone!
    Do you know exactly the part number for the mount. I heard that starting in 2008, Hyundai uses the same strut mount of the Sonata for the Azera. The original Azera strut mount part number is 546303L100 and the new strut mount for the 2008Azera / Sonata is 546303L000. Thanks
    I am sorry, I do not have the part number. I have discarded the paper work for the repair. Edwards Hyundai in Council Bluffs, IA did the fix. Josh was the service writer. The car's name is pearl [ my wife's car], he will know who who are asking about.
  • spoolenturbospoolenturbo Member Posts: 5
    @ newguy6

Hey thanks for the information buddy. Only thing I can see is trying to "prove" the issue and them giving me hell. But one good thing on my side is a friend of my Fathers is adding a Hyundai Dealership in Long Beach that have a reliable service dept that does great work on Chevrolet's will see what happens...

Thanks again,
    - Jim
  • tseverson1tseverson1 Member Posts: 13
    If I test drive a 2008 Azera built prior to 10/20/07 over a very rough straight road, should I expect to encounter the front end suspension problem?

I may test drive an Azera and am wondering what kind of road will fully test the suspension. From what I have read a straight rough road with many pot holes should do it. I am also thinking of finding a road with several railroads tracks crossing it.

I will drive my Honda Accord over the road before the Azera for a comparison and I will drive the same path at the same speed (appropriate for the road conditions) with both vehicles.

Is the “clunk” people hear just another aspect of the front end suspension problem or is it a different issue separate from the suspension problem? Should I hear a "clunk" when I drive over my rough road of choice?

I expect the Azera will easily bottom out when driven over a rough road.

Any road test suggestions are welcome.
  • carolinabobcarolinabob Member Posts: 576
    For me clunk and ride were two different issues. My '07 has the L640 shocks on front, which are the same as on the 08's and 09's, but did not change the ride.
    Try a concrete road with a lot of joints. Also one where there are small dips or rises, particularly on one side but not the other.
    Try at low speeds and high speeds when possible.
    Railroad tracks are also a ggod test, particularly if they cross at an angle or you can cross them at an angle.
    On good roads, the ride is better than anything I have been in. Good luck and tell them you want it for 1.5-2 hours of driving. I have had dealers say I could take cars home overnight or drive them to my home even though 25 miles away.
  • specialknycspecialknyc Member Posts: 15
    Hi all... I have been reading this topic for several weeks now... I hope what I am asking is not to much. Let me thank anyone for their responses ahead of time...

I recently purchases a used 2007 Azera Limited. I love the car...

Except...

I am experiencing several problems... here is my list:

1. I started noticing a problem with the suspension (clunking over every bump and what seems like a lot of bouncing around).

2. A squeek with every bump/pothole I hit that sounds like it is coming from the right front of the dashboard or beyond.

3. some steady shaking of the steering wheel at highway speeds

4. I have also noticed that there is a slight jolt or lack there of (maybe it feels like a gear is slipping ... I can not really explain it since I am not technical) when the car is cold and I start driving... it ussually goes away once I have been driving for several minutes.

So here is what I am asking... I have been reading a lot about the clunkiness with the suspension ... but can someone please post a reply to me stating what it is I should be telling the dealership the first time I go to them with these problems... and then what I should be telling them with the return visit if they fail to resolve these problems...

Also I have been told my dealership may charge a fee for looking over the car ... is that normal practice since my vehicle is still under warranty? I have 45,000 miles on it and I am the second owner.

Thanks again for any response...

... Drive on :)
    If your car is built before 10/2007, there is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) allowing the change from the shocj L041 (last 4 digit of the parts ) to L040. However, people in the forum recommended to change to latest shock in the 2007 (built after 10/2007),2008 and 2009 which is the L640. For my case, I opened a claim with Hyundai Consumer Affairs in Fountain Valley by phone first and I was fortunate that the Dealer allowed me to change to the L640. However, the noise is still there. There was a post that the struts were not the problem but the dealer should change the Front Strut Mounts to resolve the issue. I'm taking the car back in 2 weeks to change the mounts. I just want to let you know, from my experience, changing to the latest shocks or shock mounts doesn't change the ride (Bouncing and Wallowing), it just the solving the noise proble. I guess that's just the way the car is designed for soft ride. I was able to compare with some others cars on the same road, and it is not really that bad. Just take time to get used to.
    Regarding the wheel shaking, I didn't experience it but from the other posts, tires were worn out from the inside. If you fight hard, you may be able to get the Dealer or Huyndai tor eplace the tires for you. I didn't experience the others problems on my 2006 Azera Limited. Good Luck
    One thought I have is regarding those cars with the 17" rims... the softer ride would help protect the rims from damage from potholes... so that could be seen as a benefit for people who are in city areas... does that make sense to anyone else?

How should I approach the service center with the TSB? Should I not mention it until I see what they do and that said ... how do I print on up?

thanks for the response...
    That's what I would do. Use TSB as the last resource to see what they said.
    Specialknyc....I had the same creak/squeek noise you mentioned...coming from the same location. They replaced the upper control arm and the noise is now gone.

Check the warranty info since you're the 2nd owner. The powertrain warranty is cut in half pretty much, but I'm not sure what happens to the rest of them.

Did you purchase and extended warranty?
  • richardcotrichardcot Member Posts: 39
    specialknyc, to get a copy of the TSB setup an account on www.hmaservice.com. The site requires internet explorer and does not work well with other browsers. Take the TSB with you when you go to our dealer. Some will claim ignorance and you may need to educate them.
    Thanks for the replies... I will go to the site www.hmaservice.com and set up an account... Thanks.

I did not purchase an extended warranty. But I have the option to do that if I need to so long as I do it before the factory warranty is up correct?

I will print up the TSB's but I may wait until I hear back from the dealer before breaking them out. The upper control arm is also responsible for the clunk right? I am confused why people are requesting newer shocks... I would think the same noises from the same locations would be caused by one single problem if occurring to so many cars. although if I can find the grounds to get new shocks... I would love to do that considering it will spare me some expense or at least put the cost of replacing them off for a little while. If the dealer replaces the control arms but not the shocks ... are there any grounds on which I can request new shocks as well? (I realize this may not be the most honest question ... but hey a dollar saved is a dollar earned =)
    I was browsing the aftermarket parts sites and I came across these suspension bushings. I'm wondering if the bushings could help with the clunk noise that's heard as being a different material, it may absorb the energy better than the OEM rubber being used. Just a thought.

Grandeur TG Bushing Set

Yaya's Full Suspension Polyurethane Bushing Sets

-Optimized suspension control
    -Greater cornering and breaking accuracy
    -Resistance to oil contamination
    -Superior life and performance compared to OEM bushings
    -Expedient alignment correction
    -Reduced tire wear
    -Ease of fitment
    -Various grades of softness / flexibility
    -Installation guide/picture is included
    -Widely used for street / timetrial / drag races

● Please purchase the product for your vehicle. Vehicle names are shown in KDM forms.

● Contents

F Stabilizer Bushing
    F Low Arm Rear (G)
    R Stabilizer Bushing
    R Trailing Arm

***Shipping & Handling Included***
  • mortgagemeccamortgagemecca Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2006 Azera with similar issues.

3. some steady shaking of the steering wheel at highway speeds. With my car, by having the wheels balanced, it corrected the slight vibration (steady shaking) I felt on highway speeds. I was told that the wider aluminum wheels require more maintenance. Also, when you finally come around to replacing your tires, I would recommend going to a shop like sears or similar who will give you free balancing and rotation for the life of the tire.
    4. I have also noticed that there is a slight jolt or lack there of (maybe it feels like a gear is slipping ... I can not really explain it since I am not technical) when the car is cold and I start driving... it usually goes away once I have been driving for several minutes. I've learned that my azera is like a jet engine or an old man and it requires about 5 minutes to warm up before performing properly. I don't even think about the warm up period and figured the engineer wanted it that way for a reason.
    Azera's lights dimming - another common issue and I decided one day to replace the battery and the headlight dimming issue was resolved. Seems Hyundai must have bought 3 years worth of bad batteries from china.

I've enjoyed my azera and once I am 200,000 miles, I intend to purchase another, or perhaps I'll move up to the Genesis! As many, this is my first Hyundai and it has proven to be a very good car for me, about the only complaint is service - some dealerships are much better than others and it is best to try different one's to find one you like. The most recent dealership told me that my car had 60,000 miles and that the timing belt required changing - I smiled and said that I believed the maintenance was at 100,000 and that I had a timing chain - he paused for a moment and looked at his paper and said; "you are correct, my mistake." lol.. They work on commission so just be careful.
    Not a bad idea, but you have to be careful of these poly "handling" bushings---they can make a car's suspension *very* stiff and perhaps change the ride of the Azera in such a way to alter what the owner wants in a car.
    Mr. Shiftright...you're right and I think that's why they offer various stiffness options on the bushings you can order depending on the type of driving you do. At any rate, I would think it would be an improvement vs. OEM.
    Given the speculation that the rather serpentine geometry of the Azera's suspension may be a reason it slops around too much, this step makes a lot of sense.

Bushings that allow less deflection in various directions could help keep the wheels aimed where they're supposed to be in actual use.
    Tonycd...I don't think the aim of the wheel is really at issue here. I just think the use of some better quality components could make all the difference. Personally, I don't hear the noise with my Azera, but getting an '09 Sonata as a loaner allowed me to hear a suspension noise when travelling over rough or uneven surfaces. It really sounded like a sound that could be controlled with better bushings. I mean...nobody complained about the noise right away when they purchased their Azeras, it came over time. That would indicate that something wore down to the point that it allowed the noise. What is the one component that could do that...the bushings. I would almost bet that if anyone replaced their OEM bushings with some really good aftermarket ones...they'd notice a huge difference.
    Has anyone tried either one of these routes to resolve their issues?
    Thanks,
  • budhbudh Member Posts: 109
    15,000 miles on my 2009 Azera Limited built in early March, 2008. So far the suspension has been "OK". Nothing like some of the terrible stories of wallowing and worse, but not particularly great either. I'd give it a 7 out of 10 so far. No, it's not as good as a Toyota Avalon (which I may have purchased if the Azera hadn't been MANY thousands less in price), but so far (especially after hearing that the suspension was the achilles heel of the Azera), I can't complain.

Bud H
  • nrosenthalnrosenthal Member Posts: 2
    I'm curious. My '09 Azera was also built in March 2008. Did you ever notice a slight vibration at certain shift points? Mine sometimes shudders between 40-50 MPH. The dealer and his District Service Mgr. tell me it's the torque converter clutch pulsing and a normal characteristic of the car.

Norm R
    "Did you ever notice a slight vibration at certain shift points? Mine sometimes shudders between 40-50 MPH. The dealer and his District Service Mgr. tell me it's the torque converter clutch pulsing and a normal characteristic of the car."

No no no!
    The torque convertor clutch does not pulse. When you are at any speed above 38 mph
    (in my car) with a light throttle, you transmission should be in fifth gear and the torque convertor clutch should be engaged. If you continue accelerating with a rather light throttle application, there should not be any engaging or disengaging of the torque convertor at all.
    These 'types' will tell you anything to try and get you to believe their dribble.
    There is indeed something wrong, either with the T/C or the software programming!
    Try a different dealership. Have you filed a complaint with customer assistance in Utah?
    If not, do so now!

What 'they' have said is simply not true.
    Observe your tachometer. Prove what I am saying to yourself. Once your tachometer is steady at 40 mph and your tranny is in fifth gear and you see that the T/C is engaged,
    does your tach suddenly go from a steady reading to several hundred rpms higher.
    If it does, then your T/C did disengage which it should not be doing.
    It should not do that under a steady throttle and very light throttle application.
    And even if it does disengage, it should do so so smoothly that you really cannot feel it!

You do understand the idea behind a locking torque convertor I trust?

HTHs

D
  • rick2456rick2456 Member Posts: 320
    I concur. I have a 09 GLS with 2000 miles on it and have had no problems whatsoever. (knock of faux wood). It is good to know what to watch out for, but I am hoping hyundai has solved the problems with this car.
  • mjclements48mjclements48 Member Posts: 16
    I too have an '08 Azera and it has had a pulsating shimmy around 40-50 since it was new. I've taken it back to the dealer about a dozen times - they have swapped out the wheels and tires, and no change. The pulsating is most obvious when it has sat for a while but seems to fade once the car has been driven for a few miles - but it never completely goes away.

I filed a complaint with Hyundai about 18 months ago, and nothing. The dealer is telling me they consider this normal and probably is flat spotting in the tires or something else--- anyway, it is not a safety issue and until Hyundai actually comes out with an admission of a problem and a "fix" I'm stuck with it! This was my first Hyundai and it will be my last.
  • campolycampoly Member Posts: 13
    I think my T/C has gone crazy on my 2007 Azera. When I let off the gas and coast between about 38mph and 20mph, my cars tach is steadily going up and down. It feels like gas/brake/gas/brake....and the tach is moving up and down by about 300-400 rpm. This only happens while coasting but not while accelerating. It happens every day and almost constantly when I go into a coast. It is most annoying.

I'm afraid I'm one who doesn't understand Locking Torque Converter. Is the dealer going to tell me that it is normal (like they try to tell me about my crappy suspension)?
    mjclements48,

Don't feel like the lone ranger.

I filed a complaint through Hyundai corporate about my suspension issues because I wasn't getting any satisfaction from the local dealer(s) (3 of them). Hyundai corporate replyed with a decision on my case in spite of never having seen the car that there was nothing wrong with my suspension...period. The reply letter was rather cold and blunt even though some of the (canned) wording tried to make it seem that they were sincerely "concerned" about keeping me as a customer.....ain't gonna happen. I also have seen my first and last Hyundai.
  • budhbudh Member Posts: 109
    I did a careful check of my 2009 Azera Limited in the 35 to 45 mph range, both accelerating and decelerating at smooth rates and also coasting and I didn't notice anything unusual as you described.

Bud H
    Bud H, count your blessings that you got a unit that doesn't have this problem. When they get it right, the Azera is the best value for the money in it' class. It is the attitude of Hyundai and subsequently the dealers that are causing the problem. A car is the end result of thousands of components and people - all trying to get it right. Every car manufacturer has issues, this is nothing different.

How a company steps up and addresses this ensures customer satisfaction. Hyundai obviously is more focused on the 90/10 rule than customer satisfaction - you got a unit that represents the 90% - some of us were not that lucky and are stuck with a 10% product. Whether you agree with 90/10 or your number is 95/05, the end is still the same. We spent the same money you did, and didn't get what was represented to us and Hyundai is not doing anything about it.

Frustrated about their apathy
    Look at all the stuff they gave you with your owners manual and find the one on arbitration or something like that. Usually has a different page for each state. You can file a complaint with BBB for free and see where it takes you or try the lemon law first, but some states say arbitration through BBB must come first.
    :)

Don't feel like the Lone Haranger Mike.

Ours does exactly the same thing. Try going down grade with the cruise control set.
    The T/C is continuously cycling back and forth, locking and unlocking,
    engaging and disengaging.

We've owned many vehicles over the years, and I've never had any that would
    do this. This car will hold in the computer whatever speed the cruise control
    is set at even when you are stopped. All of the other cars I have had, when
    you dropped below 30 MPH, the cruise control speed had to be reset.
    I don't think the Hyundai people know how to properly set up their electronics.
    And once more, I don't think they care or want to correct these problems.
    To them, all complaints are unfounded! "It's behaving exactly as designed."
    How many times have you heard that comment when complaining?

That why my Lemon Law firm is litigating our car on our behalf.
    Thank goodness for the Song-Beverly act in California.

:D
    OMG! yes!!! "It's behaving exactly as designed." or "it's within specs" or "no problem found at this time". It's as though they've all been coached to say the same thing. This has been the biggest frustration of owning a Hyundai for me and it is what is going to prevent me from ever buying another Hyundai. If they would just fix the d@mn problems and stop trying to act like nothing is wrong they just might build some customer loyalty.
    By any chance, did they replace the tires with the same OEM make and model?

The Michelins used by Hyundai on this car are notorious for developing and retaining flat spots after the car has sat unused, especially in cold weather. The fading of the problem as the tires get warmer seems to be consistent with that. If they replaced with same type, that problem hasn't been ruled out at all.

Just a longshot question.
    No They put on Hankook tires. Frankly, these ride significantly quieter and smoother than the Michelins. I am beginning to notice a warbling/rumbling coming from the front Lt transaxle as I drive on asphalt and hold the speed steady running at 60 mph. The frequency of the rumbling seems to synch with the cold running pulsation I feel. Going to take it into the Dealer again. Definitely not a tire noise.