Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Azera Front End Problems

Comments

• lrtaklrtak Member Posts: 6
    When you go to the dealer, be sure you have your ammunition on the past posts. I went around and around with my dealership and they finally listened to what I was saying and read the posts I had in my hand about the various noises and handling feelings. I had them change out the parts to what others recommended and car's been running much better.
  • moyetimoyeti Member Posts: 1
    Sway bar link was put in backwards, take in and have them check out.
  • richardcotrichardcot Member Posts: 39
    I looked at the diagrams for repair procedures for the front stabilizer link on hmaservice.com. Not sure I see how it could be installed backwards.
  • rminorrminor Member Posts: 40
    "Encouraged by the response the Azera has received from owners, Hyundai engineers found ways to further refine the steering and suspension for 2010."
  • jkolehjkoleh Member Posts: 38
    In Minnesota, this qualifies as a "YAH, SURE--YOU BETCHA
  • azgrandazgrand Member Posts: 50
    Alright, it has been 3 years now since the Azera was introduced here in the U.S. Has anyone found any aftermarket manufacturer who offers replacement struts and shocks yet? (Not the coilover models from Korea, but a company like Bilstein or Monroe).
  • 101649101649 Member Posts: 192
    4 yrs
  • jaymagicjaymagic Member Posts: 309
    I was doing a little checking as my 07 Azera still has the original shocks (yes it was built during TSB dates, but mine worked just fine) and is now at about 75,000 mi, so replacements might be in order.

I see Monroe has shocks and struts for the Azera, for those interested. There may be other brands which also now carry them.
    Hmmm.....Monroe lists the same part numbers for the Azera AND the Sonata. That can't be right, can it??
  • SilverBullet00SilverBullet00 Member Posts: 102
    Right on azgrand, I came to the same conclusion and I've sent a E-mail to Monroe for more clarification. Lets see how long it takes to get a straight answer.
    I also sent an e-mail to Monroe. Their response was:
    "The 72218 fits both the Azera and the Sonata. Both of these vehicles share the same platform."

Maybe I'm stupid, but I don't think that's correct. Anyone know how to get the Hyundai part numbers for the front struts for the '06 Azera vs. the '06 Sonata so I can show Monroe that the Azera and Sonata do not share the same platform?
    Thanks.
  • jaymagicjaymagic Member Posts: 309
    I believe the Azera and the Sonata do share the same platform. I don't know if you would also have to purchase the different mounts from Monroe to use the aftermarket shocks.
    I haven't heard from Monroe yet. This is what I have for Azera P/N 546113L640 Front struts and 553113L640 Rear shocks, I believe the 2006 used P/N 3L040 strut and shock. Best place to get P/N for the Sonata is a dealer.

I don't belive its the same platform, there must be a weight difference and that alone would change the strut/shocks.

Also you or Monroe got the Monroe P/N mixed up, its 72281 vs 72218.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    If you check out NapaOnline or other parts suppliers, you will see that they do use the same number for the Sonata and Azera front struts. And if they are interchangeable, KYB shows a new replacement strut for the Sonata that should be available 2nd quarter this year.
  • trispeedtrispeed Member Posts: 2
    I just ordered the monroe struts and will have them installed Monday. Wish me luck!!
    2007 Azera SE
    All Azera owners wish you luck and hope you keep us advised if you do have good luck.
    Please do let us know the outcome! I have never had the clunking issue -- I'm just tired of the Azera floating on it's suspension like a mid-70's Buick!
  • richardcotrichardcot Member Posts: 39
    trispeed, any update on the strut installation? Did they make any difference in how your car rides?
    .....don't make us have to come get you....... :)
  • shagnatshagnat Member Posts: 78
    c'mon buddy, we're all waiting with baited breath....... not sure what that means, but, i read it all the time...... lmao!!!
    If I found the secret to help Azera owners improve the suspension on their cars I would let them know LOUD and CLEAR. Lets go trispeed, give those that need your help the answers they are waiting for. Personally, I have over 30K on my late model 08 and have no problem with the suspension, but there are others that have problems and look forward to your discovery.
    I have an early 2008 Limited and don't have any of the swaying problems or cupping issues just yet. The cars has 25K miles and new tires. The only suspension problem I have experienced is some harshness over small bumps or dips, and mega harshness over anything thata resembles a real pot hot or a real bump. It's as if it has no suspension, particularly on the rear end. Anyone else?
    Hi azgrand, talked today to the partsman at my Hyundai Dealership about Monroe having a fit all, one P/N 72281 shock/strut, supposed to fit Sonata and Azera. He looked up all the numbers for the 2007 models Sonata and Azera and said no way can the Monroe work on the 4 or 6 cylinder Sonata since they each have their own shock/strut part numbers and he said the Azera has a different shock/strut part number.

I went to the Hyundai on line repair manual and pulled up the shock specs for both cars and found the overall size may be the same but the damping force, expansion and compression is different for both cars. The specifications are listed under suspension, general, specifications if anyone is interested.

It would be nice if trispeed would let us how he made out so we can put this thread to bed.
    "It would be nice if trispeed would let us how he made out so we can put this thread to bed."

That it would. :cry:
    This is getting to be as big a mystery as Toyota has with its throttle problems. :confuse:
    Hi trispeed, we all wished you luck, but now we wish you would give us a update on your Monroe shock/stut replacement. Its been over a week and if it takes that long to install and check out the Monroes I don't know if I would want them if I did need replacements. Give us a break and let us know how its going. :confuse:
    Maybe he got them installed and went for a hi speed test drive.....lost control and went off the road...never to be heard from again....
    I notice he had made a total of one post on the forum. We may never hear from him again. Anyone else want to be a guinea pig? :shades:
    You may be right azgrand. At least other users of the forum share information and try to help each other with mods and how to do it information.

Heck I turn 75 this month, don't know if I'll ever get to hear from him. ;)
    Now I got it, trispeed works for Toyota and don't know how to answer. :):)
    Well fellow Azera owners, azgrand, richardcot,shagnet and 101649 I guess we will never find out how the Monroes worked on trispeeds car. For whatever the reason he refuses to help other Azera owners if they have a shock problems. I thought that was what the forums are all about, helping others with their car problems and getting the word out on anything that pertains to the Azera.
  • bmb1767bmb1767 Member Posts: 64
    This forum is for helping other people, but also realizing that something unknown must be going on with him(her) for them not to post.
    I'm guessing that since he has only made one post on the forum, he probably just forgot to post a follow up. Sure wish we knew his e-mail address. Oh, well. :cry:
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    We contacted him for you all by e-mail today, and invited him to participate, but that's all we can do.

Visiting Host
    Thanks. I sure do appreciate your help.
  • trispeedtrispeed Member Posts: 2
    sorry about that, I ordered them and the shop came back to me a week later and said they were not yet available, even though Monroe lists a part # They will get back to me when they can get them. Oh well, the saga continues!
    Another Thank You. Appreciate all the help we can get. :confuse:
    Talked to Sears, Advance, and Pep Boys ..They are all Monroe distributors and they cannot get the shocks...told me to contact Monroe, which is what I did originally and they gave me the distributor info...now distributors way that the part is only available from Monroe directly...They don't sell direct.....saga goes on..
    Trispeed - Thanks for posting a follow up. Somehow, I knew the availability of a replacement shock / strut was too good to be true.
    edited February 2010
    I got the following response from Monroe:

"The Azera shares same platform with the Sonata. The design lengths and mountings are identical. The OE part numbers are different due to controls being slightly different. In this case we have consolidated to the Sonata controls since there many more registrations and units work well on Azera.

For further questions or assistance, please contact technical assistance at
    734-384-7809 M - F 8:30am - 5:30pm EST."

To which I replied:

"Thanks for the clarification. There has been some discussion on a few internet forums about availability of the Monroe units for the Azera. Several people have checked with Monroe dealers and been told that these units are currently unavailable. If you could let me know their availability, I will post the information on the Hyundai discussion forums. As I said, may of us are looking for a good quality replacement for the factory units."

And their response:

"We have inventory in our warehouse. Any Monroe dealer should be able to get these for you. The dealers might not have inventory, but they should be able to order it though us."

FYI. :shades:
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Did you post a Monroe part # here yet?
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    Monroe Sensa-Trac # 72281 front struts for 2006-2008 Azeras
    see post #1248 used the #72281 and distributors couldn't access parts
    hard to believe that these will fit both Azera and Sonata.....Almet: weigh in on this.
    azgrand, I got the exact word for word reply from Monroe. As they said,size and fit is the same as for the Sonata and since there are more Sonatas on the road the controls should work for a Azera. I have a hard time believing this since the 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder Sonata use different shocks and I would think the Azera is a little heavier than the Sonata. The damping force, expansion and compression is different for the two cars and with a generic fit all shock from Monroe I would be hesitant to install them. I would rather invest in a OEM shock from a 2009-2010 Azera. :confuse:
    I tried Koni, Bilstein, and others...no luck they only list replacements for Elantra and Accent.
  • wobbly_earswobbly_ears Member Posts: 160
    I would be hesitant in installing the Monroe shocks if this is the kind of 'engineering' they have put into it. I have a hard time believing that shocks would fit both Sonata & the heavier Azera.

I'm quite disappointed in Monroe's explanation.
  • allmet33allmet33 Member Posts: 3,557
    101649...I really don't have much to offer on this topic as I've still rolling on the OEM shocks/struts. The only issue I've had is the upper control arm mounts going bad. I did have one front strut go bad (leaking) and it was replaced and everything seems fine. I too find it hard to believe that a shock/strut designed for the Sonata would work on the Azera, however...if you go with the 6 cyl Sonata, the weight difference between that and an Azera really is only a few hundred pounds. Which won't make that much of a difference on the shock/strut. My biggest question would be the mounting of them. I've never heard of the Sonata and the Azera sharing the same platform. I mean...that is why the Sonata was given the NT nomenclature and the Azera has TG. The new VG platform coming out is derived from the TG, but it's not shared.

As far as those wishing to try shocks/struts from the 2010 Azera...not sure if that will work for the 06-08 Azeras, I would definitely look into it before jumping out there. I do beleive they made some changes and they are not interchangable. If I'm wrong, then by all means...go for it.

However, it would seem that 2010 will be the last year for the Azera anyway. I could be wrong, but it would seem that with the Sonata being upgraded as it has (very beautiful if I might say so myself) and the Genesis having a strong hold as the big sedan...no need for the Azera any more. Especially with the Equus getting ready to roll out next year. It just wouldn't make sense to have the Azera any more. Just my opinion though.
  • neatncstuffneatncstuff Member Posts: 3
    I too have a problem with 06 Azera low speed clunk, love the car otherwise, very powerful and smooth ride on the interstate !! Just purchased about a month ago got a real bargain (I hope ) w / 36,000 miles on it and the ultimate package for 12k. Dealership replaced front struts 2 weeks ago under warranty, noise still there, returned it and complained. Dealership now has upper strut mounts and associated bushings ordered, installation scheduled next week another warranty repair. I'll keep you posted on outcome I sure hope this works. Dealership has been very cooperative so far.
    I agree...Azera suspension is very different from the Sonata....not having problem with my '06 either...just interested in the fix..how's the wifey's Audi running?
  • allmet33allmet33 Member Posts: 3,557
    I don't know if it's very different, but I don't see it as being completely the same. Maybe the two do share components...just not sure. As far as wifey's Audi...it's running great. Two recent issues that have come up are the turn signal not working properly. When activated, the lights come on, but won't blink. However, the lights flash when the hazard lights are turned on or when the car is locked/unlocked. I'm thinking it's an issue with the turn signal relay or the signal switch itself. The other issue is that the ABS & TCS lights come on randomly on the dash. Once the car is cut off and restarted, they go out and it doesn't happen for a while. I'll have a diagnostic run at the next oil change for that. I will say this much though, the car has been impressive in dealing with the snow we've received here in the DC metro area. How's everything with you?