Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Azera Front End Problems

Comments

• Options
    101649101649 Member Posts: 192
    My Hyundai stable is running fine..replaced front window lifts (DIY) on '01 Santa Fe (175kmiles), Sonata is fine and Azera is hardly driven '06 with 22k miles...Replaced the hood latch under warranty.....Except for being unemployed for 14 months, life is ok here in FL....just a little too cool for us for the last month...
  • Options
    allmet33allmet33 Member Posts: 3,557
    I don't know what it was about that hood latch, I had to have mine replaced twice. I think the first time...they didn't put it in right and the cable snapped on me. The 2nd time has been a charm. Sorry to hear about the unemployment, hope something opens up for you soon.
  • Options
    tinydog1tinydog1 Member Posts: 83
    edited February 2010
    My best friend, who is a manager for the local O'Reilly's warehouse, is ordering me a set directly from Monroe. He showed the part number, but they don't stock it. He ordered them today and said it would be about 5 to 7 days. Will report back when I finally have them in hand and installed. I hope this finally takes care of the problem. FYI, I also own a 2010 Sonata Limited and the suspension setup is identical. The Azera is made from a slightly streched version of the Sonata platform. If I am not mistaken the Azera is appox. 200lbs. heavier in the front. Will see how the Monroes are affected by that.
  • Options
    azgrandazgrand Member Posts: 50
    Thanks! We will definitely await your report!
  • Options
    neatncstuffneatncstuff Member Posts: 3
    good news, dealership replaced upper strut mounts and bushings today on my 06 azera, low speed clunk is gone let's see if it lasts, all covered under warranty.
  • Options
    My dealer replaced mine about 2 years ago along with the struts, it took care of the clunk and for a while the struts worked really well until the car developed a creak in the right front suspension. They then replaced the left upper control arm which made a huge difference in how the car rode but did not solve the creaking problem. This dealership has two Hyundai locations in town so I decided to pay a visit to their smaller facility. They found that the creaking was coming from the left front strut which their other service dept. had damaged during installation by cross threading the main top mounting bolt. They ordered a new strut and told me to come back a week later. When I went by, they realized the strut that came in was for a Sonata, so the service manager got authorization from the general manager to pull a strut from a new 2010 Azera they had on the lot. That also improved the ride. My only complaint now and the reason I'm looking at replacing the struts, is to try and improve the way the suspension handles recoil after hitting undulations in the road. My friend said the Monroe struts were $62.99 each plus $7 for shipping. I still have to find some place to get them installed. It will be well worth the investment if it improves the ride by 50 to 75%. I love this car and the ride has been my only complaint. I really enjoy driving a car that not everyone and their mother is driving.
  • Options
    wobbly_earswobbly_ears Member Posts: 160
    edited February 2010
    Only $62.99? That's really cheap! If the Monro struts improve the ride, then I'll be the next one in line!

I love my 07 & am generally pleased with the ride & comfort. Thankfully I don't have the 'clunk', so I guess I'm one of those lucky ones. But I certainly wouldn't mind if the ride is less Buick-like if possible. (I'm just 32, so not digging the Buick-type ride, no offense)

Desperately hoping that Monroe struts improve the ride!
  • Options
    richardcotrichardcot Member Posts: 39
    I wish mine would ride like a buick. In my 1980 buick regal I didn't feel bumps. My 07 azera amplifys every tiny bump in the road.
  • Options
    tuyauxtuyaux Member Posts: 8
    My '07 is also jittery like yours, richardcot. Does anyone know how to make the ride smoother? (I don't have the clunk fortunately.)
  • Options
    shagnatshagnat Member Posts: 78
    Ditto. Rides like a stinkin' buck board w/out springs!! Front is not quite as bad as the rear, but, still too rough for my likes. If I had wanted a Corvette ride, that's what I would've bought........... oh, my Azera is an '08
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Is everyone still riding on the 17in OEM Michelin tires? If so, this actually plays a part in how the car rides. They are very hard riding tires and have a mediocre rating for ride comfort. I personally hate them, they are noisy and develop flat spots when the car sits for more than a day, but with 26,000 miles on my 2006, can't justify replacing them just yet. My next set will probably be a set of General Altimax or Goodyear Comfortreads. I had a set of Goodyear Comfortreads on my 2007 SantaFe, what a difference they made in the ride, super smooth and quiet.
  • Options
    Not me. I changed my Michelins shortly after I bought my 08. It had 25K miles and 3/32 tread depth. I didn't like the ride then and wondered how much a difference the tires would make, so I bought a set of Continental DWS. Very highly rated in every catetory. The Contis made a slight difference in road nose and marked difference in handling, but not much else.
    Hope this helps.
  • Options
    tuyauxtuyaux Member Posts: 8
    That is exactly what I wanted to know! Thank you.
  • Options
    gamlegedgamleged Member Posts: 442
    "Is everyone still riding on the 17in OEM Michelin tires? If so, this actually plays a part in how the car rides. They are very hard riding tires and have a mediocre rating for ride comfort. I personally hate them, they are noisy and develop flat spots when the car sits for more than a day..."

Yep! But at 44k miles, mine still have lots of tread left and I'm almost used to the noise AND the temporary flat spotting, so I guess it'll be another year or so for me...
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm still riding on my 17" Michelin OEMs. At 35k, mine still seem to have a lot of life left.

These Michelins have extremely poor ride, have the temp flat-spotting issues. But man, they seem to last a lot longer! I never had a tire this durable!

I really want to change to better tires, but can't justify the cost when so much life is still left in the tires. I usually hate wasting stuff, even when it is uncomfortable. :((
  • Options
    SilverBullet00SilverBullet00 Member Posts: 102
    Yes, I'm still on the noisy OEM Michelins w/32K on my 2008 Limited, but not for long, have four General Altimax HP's coming this week from Threadpot.com. Cost $375.08 plus shipping. I could not find a better price on line or from my local tire dealers. They can be special ordered from Wal-Mart at $135 apiece. I will have my dealer install them and get them aligned at the same time. My Michelins look like they could go another 40K but noise from the feathered tires is driving me crazy, not the way to enjoy a quite car. My Hyundai service area representative says he don't believe the Michelins were the right choice of tire for the Azera, to hard a compound to go along with the Azera suspension. As soon as I can get the Altimax HP"s on, you'll get a report. :)
  • Options
    My friend called today and said the struts are in, I told him I would be in tomorrow to pick them up. My partner is concerned that they are going to change the ride too much, since he is the one that drives it most of the time and feels the ride is just fine. I drive it to work once or twice a week and the other days drive the Sonata. I really feel the difference in the ride of the Azera after driving the Sonata, which is much tighter. I am off tomorrow and will try to find someone to install them. Will keep you posted. Can't wait for the report on the Altimax HP's.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    SilverBullet...I look forward to reading your feedback on the Altimax HP's. I would love to see if your experience is similar to mine. Personally, I love the tires...especially when compared to the OEM Michelins. They are almost silent compared to the Michelins, seem to absorb bumps better, and handle better in both dry & wet conditions and look great. Almost as soon as I got them installed, I was able to take a trip to Cleveland (from DC) and the ride was so much better than any other trip I had taken with the Michelins.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Got the struts installed today, I can definetly say the ride improved. They are firmer riding than the OEM and the ride feels like it is under control. The ride lost it's tendency to become buoyant over road undulations; no more jitters or body roll when taking corners. If you like a really soft ride, these may not be the best choice. In my previous experiences with SensaTracs, they need a couple of thousand miles to break in and become smoother without loosing any level of control. I did have a hard time finding a place to get them installed. My dealer and NTB would not install because they were outside parts. I finally ended up at PepBoys, they charged me $200 for installation and 4 wheel alignment. I could feel the difference as soon as I sat in the car and it didn't even budge. Overall I am very pleased. Total cost including struts $339, well worth every penny. Will be replacing the rears in a month or so. :)
  • Options
    Thanks Tinydog1. Just what I wanted to hear. I have the reverse problem of most folks as my Azera has never felt "bouyant" or rode likea 1978 Buick land-yacht. It's been harsh and hard riding the whole time.

Also, I believe you're correct about a break-in period. Not sure how long, but, definitely some period of time is required. Seems like my Hyundai took ~2K miles to get ironed out.

Your information is very much appreciated.
  • Options
    neatncstuffneatncstuff Member Posts: 3
    Hey tinydog1, how about sharing the Monroe part number for the azera shocks with the rest of us ? Even though mine seems to be fine now with the new struts and strut mounts I would like a little stiffer ride especially if the handling is improved and it seems to be a relatively small price to pay.Thanks
  • Options
    @tinydog1,

Thanks for your report! I'm pleased to hear that you feel that the ride has improved. I'm very very very tempted to get mine changed this summer!

Can you PLEASE keep us updated on how the ride changes over the next 1-2 weeks. If the Monroe claims are true, this might be a very cheap investment for our Azeras!
  • Options
    Front struts Monroe part # 72281, rear 5614. They also make the strut mounts front # 905983, rear # 905984. Will keep you posted.
  • Options
    azgrandazgrand Member Posts: 50
    Thanks. excellent report - please do let us know about the rears and your impressions as you get to drive it a little more. Sounds like a good improvement so far.
  • Options
    tonycdtonycd Member Posts: 223
    I got the Altimax HP's about 3,000 miles ago, and I like 'em. Tire Rack is the way to go on these. Just over $100 a tire, plus whatever the local installer charges -- and if you're a non-enthusiast of Biggest Box in Retailing like I am, you get the added pleasure of not giving them your money.
  • Options
    Hi tonycd, Didn't find Tire Rack as the way to go for my Altimax HP's. Got mine from Treadepot.com for $100 per tire minus $25 coupon,total $375 vs Tire Rack at $110 per tire, total $440. Difference paid for shipping. Really enjoy not paying the tax from a local dealer which is 9.75%. Hope to get them installed this coming week.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I'm not crying, I paid $109 per tire and shipping was just under $41, thru Tire Rack. I paid $15 per tire to get them mounted, balanced & installed at a local gas station, for a grand total of $536.90.

I've been enjoying the ride on them ever since. Good luck with yours. :shades:
  • Options
    rmeyrowitzrmeyrowitz Member Posts: 4
    Hi TinyDog,

Any updates on this. I am considering doing something like this or getting rid of the car in the next month.

Let us know.

Thanks
    rpm
  • Options
    So far so good. The ride has improved greatly, no nosedive when I have had to brake hard. The ride firmed up without harshness. I ordered the rear shocks today. Front and rear are now available at O'Rilleys.com.
  • Options
    Great to hear Tinydog1! Now the question is how long will the improved ride quality last? Some forum members in the past have complained that the ride quality quickly degraded after a few hundred or so miles after replacing their front struts with the factory hyundai struts. As an 07 owner whose only complaint is the harsh ride I want to believe there is a fix for it. Please keep us posted in the coming weeks.
  • Options
    I'd love to hear a report 5-7 K miles later. Don't know if this post will die before then, but sure would like to hear about it.

Like the above poster, I have a harsh ride, not soft or mushy at all. Every stinking expansion joint on the interstates vibrates through the steering wheel and front seat.

It's sooooo disappointing to have this buck-board still ride in a $33K car!!
  • Options
    Today I found out KYB makes a shock/strut that should fit the Azera. We all know that Monroe has the 72281 front and 5614 rear that fit the Azera and tinydog1 will vouch on that. I found that Rockauto lists KYB 341476 front and 349060 rear and the Monroe 72281 front and 5614 rear for the Sonata SE. But they don't list the KYBs for the Azera , got me confused? Just some information I found for those who are having suspension problems. I have 34K on my 08 and 3200 on my General Altimax HPs which made a world of difference compared to the Michelins that came with the car. so far no complains about the suspension. :confuse:
  • Options
    I was on KYB's site and they don't show anything for the Azera as of yet.

However, if you go to RockAuto.com...they show the Monroe front strut (72281) and rear shock absorber (5614) both from the Monroe Sensa-Trac line. Prices aren't bad either...you would be able to get both front and both rears for a tad more than $200 w/s&h. I just wonder how much a shop would charge to install them.

With my Azera getting close to the 85K mile mark, I am considering upgrading the OEM struts/shocks. I have to replace my ball joint on the passenger side as well as the upper control arm on the driver's side (passenger side was done around 70K miles.

Still loving my ride on the Altimax HP's. Wife loves it too...asked if I could get the same tires for her Audi A6 (which is riding on ContiTouring tires now).
  • Options
    specialknycspecialknyc Member Posts: 15
    I replaced mine with Pirelli P-Zero Nero's. I would have sworn the ride was better, but as I put more miles on them the same lofty bouncy ride has re-appeared :cry: . I must have been hopeful and convinced myself that it was going to solve the issue. That said, the car does drive better and respond better with the pirelli's vs. michillin (at least in my opinion). Wet weather handling certainly seems better (but that could be due to differences in remaining tread life).

On another note I have finally taken my car into the shop for the suspension issues, I made several appointments and actually missed every single one (been really busy). I told them about my squeaking and bouncy ride with clunks, and a whining noise from the engine. Lets see if they charge me the $98 fee to look at it (claiming its not warranty work! - I hate dealerships!!!! :mad: ) I am printing up the TSB's when I speak to them regarding the suspension because I have a feeling they are going to say there is nothing wrong. I will try to post my results when I find out. Any further advice is appreciated regarding how to deal with the dealer if they claim there is nothing wrong. :confuse:
  • Options
    specialknycspecialknyc Member Posts: 15
    So brought the car in... the whining noise is covered under warranty and they are replacing a pulley (if I remember correctly).

As for the suspension they told me they are replacing a bushing (or mount - not sure which one as the phone convo was fast). I did ask them about the TSB's for the suspension and was told that does not apply to me. My question is why would the TSB's not apply to me?
  • Options
    I believe there is a crappy suspension in this car and nothing will really "fix it" except a totaly redesign of the suspension.
    I have an '08 which supposedly as the most updated suspension (I'm told) and it rides like crap.
    I also have an '03 Highlander which rides like a Cadillac or a Lincoln Town Car of yester-year.
    My wife drove my Azera for the first time a few weeks ago and told me I had to take the car to the dealer right away. I asked why and she replied, "that car rides horribly, some is wrong."
    Now, my wife knows as much about a car as my 11 y/o..... probably less, but, point being if someone like my wife notices a crappy suspension, then it has a crappy suspension.
    Yes, I changed tires too ot the Conti Extreme DWS. Great tires but didn't do squat for the ride except increase handling a bit.
    I'll never buy another Hyundai unless I can test drive it for a couple of days. Being as Hyundai is Hyundai, I don't see that happening. I'll spend the extra few hundred $$ and buy me another Toyota.
  • Options
    vikeavikea Member Posts: 7
    hello i am a new member. i own hyundai grandeur 3.3 2006 the european model for azera. i read your posts and sadly some of it is happening to me too. but maybe not so dramatic as some of you describe it. i dont have any clunking o noise(may be on very big bumps, at least it does better then my previos 2007 passat(piese of crap and dangerous car)) but yes on bumpy roads it does get a bit unstable.
    i saw also some numbers of shocks here something like ...40, ...41 or ...640. i looked at mines and the last numbers were ...130, and made by Sachs ( which i know is one of the best shock manufacturers). i own also a 2006 sonata which also has Sachs shocks, dont know the numbers, but it rides very well though have a little "clunk". so i decided that not the shocks a the problem but the spring which are too soft and killing the shocks. i replaced them with eibach springs which lowered the car by 3 cm(dont know how many inches). and now it rides a lot better it does not roll a bit. its super stable at big speeds. i didnt tested it on bad roads yet but when i will do i will post some more of course if someone is intrested. but the car is much stiffer now so its lost some of its comfort .other then that the car is realy great.
  • Options
    jamazerajamazera Member Posts: 149
    allmet: were the suspension parts you replaced just worn out??? rough roads up there in DC area...Are you going with the Monroe aftermarkets??? I had to change my Edmunds account ...used to be101649 as my screen name.now jamazera..I was having problems with the pages timing out and finally I couldn't log in....maybe Edmunds upgraded or changed the site...I'm still riding on the OEM Michelins @ 30K good tread wear, but a lot of noise...will justt have to wait until they wear out to get the Altimax's...
  • Options
    Are you taking about the upper control arm? Yes, it was worn out and the one on the driver's side is the same way now. I also found out that one of my ball joints needs to be replaced as well. The roads here in the DC metro area are terrible as they are doing all sorts of construction to install a street trolley system and of course, my commute takes me along those very roads they have torn up.

When I am ready to change my shocks, I will more than likely go with the Monroe aftermarkets for sure, but I really am not having any issues with the shocks other than the back end bottoming out over big speed bumps when I have stuff in the trunk or all my kids in the back seats.
  • Options
    newguy6newguy6 Member Posts: 34
    I have an 07 with all of the noise problems everyone else is talking about. After four trips to the dealer they finally put in new "strut Mounts". It made a world of difference....... for about three months. It's just as bad as ever. I really don't think that there is a fix, its just a terrible suspension. Will the '11 be any better?
  • Options
    I don't think there is a "fix" for this suspension. Only a completely different suspension will fix this rough-riding "luxury" car?!

What difference would Monroe or KYB shocks do? Aren't they supposed to be designed with the same characteristics as the original, otherwise it could create a tremendous imblance in handling.

All this is just my opinion, but, I'm very firm with it.
  • Options
    shagnat...I highly doubt that the Monroe or KYB shocks would be made with the same characteristics as the OEM shocks. That's the great thing about quality aftermarket stuff...in most cases, it's better than OEM.

I also believe if you go with aftermarket control arms (which I will doing), you'll probably have better results too. I think OEM stuff is a gimmick...they make it knowing it will fail after so much time so you have to come back and spend more money.

I doubt that Monroe or KYB would create a shock that would create a "tremendous imbalance in handling", that would be crazy. I'm sure they test their products to see how they can improve upon the OEM shocks, dampen them differently and probably use better materials to begin with.
  • Options
    Replaced the struts and shocks on my 2006 with Monroe's and can honestly say the ride and handling have greatly improved even with the crappy OEM Michelins. Can't wait to replace them with Altimax HP's. This is the best investment I have made in this car, 6K miles and no sign of the Monroe's weakening like the OEM struts.
  • Options
    This right here is GREAT feedback. Thanks for letting us know for sure. :shades:
  • Options
    I replaced all 4 struts with the monroes which improved the ride for maybe 200 miles. Then it starting wallowing and the ride returned to its bumpy old self.
  • Options
    That's a real pisser. I so want my Azera to ride better. My wife won't ride in it 'coz of the rough ride, and she drives a Toyota Highlander....... not some $80K+ luxury mobile........ what a pity Azera is such a rough-rider....... otherwise I really like the car for the most part anyways.
  • Options
    hello. i think i know what is the problem. since i am no mecanic i can"t tell you for sure if i am right or not. the problem with the azera is not the suspension. in fact azera suspension type is one of the best. i have a hyundai grandeur which is the same azera but for europe. it came from factory with all around german suspension: sacks shoks , springs and so on. it has the same crapy fellin when riding over bumps. i added a strut bar to regidize thr chassie and wow! what a feeling. its no more feer to press the gas pedal.
    so i made a conclusion that the suspension is very good but the week chassie flexes and bends under bumps and engine presure driving out of aliment the suspension which causes this problem of ours.
    p.s. i instaled a very week crapy strut bar and i observed this big diference. does anyone knows where to get a good one. on ebay the struts won"t fit to a car with cruise control.
    thanks
  • Options
    hello. does anyone knows where to get a good proper strut bar for azera. thanks a lot
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    check it out...there used to be a couple others out there, but I guess they stopped selling them. I did come across this one...

KFX Performance
  • Options
    My question is: Which would be better to help to reduce the side to side wallowing when going over uneven pavement? A strut bar or a sway bar? And would either make much of a difference?