Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suburban Tahoe Vibration Problems

Comments

• prontohrprontohr Member Posts: 9
    Hello there, I have read your comments and now I see that I'm not the only one. We recently purchased a 2012 Chev Tahoe LTZ. After testing the GMC we liked this interior better.
    I drove my new truck around town and all was fine, but when we hit the road the vibration was noticed right away. I'm running the same 20" that it came with. The local dealership just informed me that my Tahoe was tested and compared with others in their lot and all ride the same but they will re-balance the tires. Not the answer I was looking for.
    I should have listened to the wife and purchased what she liked, the Infinity QX56, but I wanted to stay American made so I'll have to hear it even more.
    If you have any input, suggestions please share! :(
  • stan99stan99 Member Posts: 7
    On Asphalt road it will ride pretty smooth but still have a slight vibration but the only thing that really helped get to that point was the Michelin tires. Even today it is not as it should be with the new truck but I like the looks of the truck over anything else out there as I looked at everything from $30-80k and there was nothing else I wanted to purchase. I ride in a friend’s 10 yr old Suburban and it has a better ride than the new ones by a long shot when it comes to highway smoothness and no vibrations. Basically I had to make a decision on fighting in court (of which I did get a consult and had a case) but did not want to go through even more hassle as it already put strain on my Family (3 months of hassle) . So I found one that had a different vibration that did not give me a head ache. It will be a big question for me when I buy my next one but I have made the best of it.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Good morning prontohr,

We're sorry that your new Tahoe is turning out to be a frustrating vehicle for you. If you would like for us to check into this further, please email us the following information at socialmediagm.com: your name and Edmunds username, your phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.

Sarah, GM Customer Service
    Another note. GM can not fix the vibration problem. They can put a device on the truck that will measure the vibration and then want to tell you it is normal vibration with in specification. They will not give you the specification or be able to explain why it is normal. Vibration felt in the seat of the truck is not normal....they will say yes there is a vibration try to fix and drag it out. GM did not put this device on my truck as it was too late for them to try and pull that card out. Two dealers had already looked at it, acknowledged the vibration issue and both dealers tried to fix it.

GM customer service will only track and monitor the situation. They do not make any discussions.

You need to find out who the GM rep is for the dealership and document everything you do and all communications. Do a recap of all meetings and send emails to the Person you are dealing with at the dealer…probably the service manager. This is what made my case. I had weekly emails that summarized everything talked about, reviewed and discussed. Stick to the facts and details.
    Thank you Sarah, you shall received the requested info soon.
    FYI, my tires were balanced and rotated but the vibration still exist.
  • schoonersschooners Member Posts: 7
    Seems we're not alone in this. Although, GM would lead you to believe so.
    We have a BBB claim now. A note out to GM for a lemon law notice. And GM reps that are contradicting themselves, worthless, and way out of their league on this one. Today we were told that GM has two case numbers for us. They also said that the local dealership here should have the "Engineers'" report, while the dealership says that GM should have that report. Then while talking to the GM rep, she started telling us what the Engineers found -- um, how do you know if you don't have the report?!!! *!!* This is just ONE example of how ridiculous they have been to deal with! The rep then said that she needed to call back. When she called back, she said that our case is with legal and she can't comment any more. So now it's with the legal team? In the 5 minutes you were off the phone? So odd. This is the most unprofessional business I've EVER dealt with! You know what they say ... "Customers who have a good experience will tell at least 2 people. Customers with a bad experience will tell EVERYONE."
    Good luck prontohr!! Keep me posted. I swear this whole debacle is screaming "Class action lawsuit" ... :mad:
  • razorback3razorback3 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a new 2012 Chevrolet Suburban LTZ 2WD 1/2 Ton on August 3, 2012. I live in the Houston Area. The vehicle had 3 miles on it when I test drove it. I could feel the vibration during the drive but I fell for the "oh it is just the tires as the vehicle had been sitting for a while". We will balance the tires and get this taken care of. Well to make a long story short, they didn't get the problem fixed after bringing it to the dealership 4 times and the problem is not fixed. The last thing done was the dealer put a set of Michelin LTZ M/S 2's on it. This helped some but the problem is not fixed. I contacted GM and they had a person call me. He contacted the dealership and the dealership told the GM rep that they could not duplicate the problem. Strange in that the dealership had already admitted there is a problem and have not fixed it yet. The GM rep said the there was nothing else he could do. I ask him a few question and it was sad at the responses from a GM Rep. First of all he said that he didn't really work for GM and that he worked for another complain by the name of "Minex" or "Manex". This was another company that GM had hired to take complaint. This was the most awful experience I have ever had and the bottom line is he said that there was no one else for me to talk to in which I knew better but as of today September 15, 2012 he has closed my case so I will have to escalate this more. The vehicle has less than 3000 miles on it and paid over$50K USD for this new vehicle and it is awful. Any suggestion from anyone out there, please respond. Is this what GM has come to?
  • brycourtbrycourt Member Posts: 9
    If you can get the dealer to investigate further I would look at the driveline versus the tires. After ours blew the mechanic stated they have had some problems with them and there is like a drive shaft inside of a driveshaft if that makes any sense. Regardless, once the driveshaft was replaced we are smooth as silk, I was an inch away from filing a lemon law claim, etc and would have if the drive shaft hadn't broke. Good luck - definately going with a different brand on our next vehicle. Tired of all the mess with GM.
    edited September 2012
    Hello my newly found friends. It looks like we are united on the same cause. Here is my update.
    After my Tahoe got tires balanced and rotated the problem still exist. On Friday 15 Sep, 2012 I drove it back to the shop and although my vehicle had been there all day I was not given an update until 4:30pm. Ridiculous. Well, the dealership needs to do more testing. This time they will re-balance the tires, mark the tires and rims, road test and recheck because the tires may slip from the rim and may also loose the balancing weights. Go figure, how safe is this?
    If the tires and rims do not slip, this time, then they will replace the drive shaft. I was asked to take a drive with the technician so that I could point out exactly what the vehicle is doing. Well, yeap, the tech noticed and felt the vibration. So to all of you: No, WE are not crazy or making up things.
    The new testing and maintenance will take a couple of days but i can't be without wheels so I headed back into the dealership show room and spoke directly with the new sales manager who is also the overall dealership manager.
    I explained my situation and asked me to allow him time to address the issue. My point to him was simple, i don't want this vehicle even after it is fixed. I have a bad feeling that it may happen again.
    So he gave me his personal 2013 Tahoe LTZ for the weekend as a loaner.
    I will put this loaner through the test and report back. What a headache, and class action? I think I see it coming up on the horizon!
    Hello there razorback3,

We're sorry to hear how dissatisfied you are with your new Suburban and see that you have worked with Customer Assistance on this. Would you please send us an email with your Service Request number (or the last 8 digits of your VIN) so we can check into this further? Have you tried going to an alternate dealership for a second opinion?

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    Customers with a bad experience will tell EVERYONE."

I told everyone about my bad experience with a Chrysler/Dodge product from 1995, and yet, they somehow manage to stay in business repeatedly making crappy products.

How in the world do companies that cause these hassles and problems stay in business??? I have no idea!

Oh wait, Politicians deemed it a good idea to use OUR tax money to bailout these companies; in some cases, multiple times (for Chrysler).
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    You sound like you are in the same position I was in....I drove the truck back within 30 min of leaving the dealer ship and they did balance the tires. That was the start of a very long process.

I also have LTZ...drove 10-15 other suburban’s and all had vibrations. Granted some were different but there were two with the exact same as mine. I gave up trying to find one without vibration. If you have all this documented with each trip and you want to take it further you will have a case but it will be a pain. You have to get in touch with a GM rep. I was dealing with two GM reps as I had two different dealers (in Houston) acknowledge the vibration.

The bottom line is GM cannot fix it and do not know how to fix it (or if GM does know, they are not telling anyone). I do not see how they can just let this go with so many people having issues. I personally think they just cannot get dampening right but the magnetic ride on the Cadillac seam to solve the problem from the ones I drove but they wanted another $15k to change to Cadillac. I even asked if they would put the magnetic ride on or look at getting a cost for it. I was looking for solutions and GM needs to step up and find one. GM came back and said it would be too complicated, one off, and would cause future issue for GM to work on the truck. Nice way to say….that may work….but too much of a hassle for us.
    So you will have to fight it with GM to buy it back (this may take you hiring an attorney but work with GM rep first), try to find another truck with a different vibration that you will just live with...I am the chump that ended that way. It was causing me a lot of pain and being transferred to my family…I had to work something out and move on. GM (Government Motors) will not be on the top of my list for my next car/truck.
    My company has a service where they will pay for a consult with Attorney. I used the service but did not hire her. Her advice was to do everything you can to work it out and keep documenting. If you cannot work it out she will take it the case. I got to the point where my time was more valuable.
  • 68mustang68mustang Member Posts: 10
    That sucks that you couldn't find one that didn't shake. My wife will no longer drive it, she is concerned that the shaking is causing something else to fail.
    We have already made several calls into GM, we have a case number and now that we have moved this issue to the BBB we now have a new case number and someone new to tell our story to. (as if we have nothing better to do!) The dealers that we brought our truck to, one will no longer service the truck (for anything) and the other one will no longer even write the truck up for the shaking issue. The BBB and GM have asked if I would be willing to have an independent service tech. drive the truck. We agreed and they are scheduled to do this today. We have also started with the NY New Car Lemon Law, We are keeping the truck under 12K miles because if we do win the case GM has to pay us back the full amount. GM rep. did call me prior to resolve this, they offered 24 months of FREE oil changes to fix this, that's right Oil Changes, Unreal!! My wife and I have ALWAYS bought AMERICAN Made! For over 25 years it has been a GM product. My 1st car was a Chevy. Now she wants to dump the Tahoe, win or lose and buy a Honda Pilot!
    I would suggest going through the lemon law. That is going to be our next step. We went through the BBB and they sent an independent mechanic to test drive. He said he didn't feel the vibration but there is an engine misfire. He doesn't go into detail as to the feel of the engine misfire (maybe causing the vehicle to vibrate), but I am trying to clarify that with them. We are going through arbitration next through the BBB. But we have the unique opportunity to delay going through the lemon law, and I say this because i drive a smaller vehicle in the good weather since I drive 174 miles/day to go to and from work. If you put more than 12000 miles on your vehicle and if you win under the lemon law they can discount the purchase price of the vehicle. I really think it stinks that for some people this may be there only vehicle and they have to endure the feel of that while driving every day AND decrease the value of the vehicle benefiting big GM who could care less how you get to work and what the driving experience is on the way there.
    Funny that you mention the LEMON LAW! I feel we are heading down the same road.
    So here is my update;
    I have been driving the General Manager's vehicle, a 2013 Chev Tahoe LTZ, and this one has a different vibration but only felt on the steering wheel, not too bad, but if definatly has a miss fire that is noticeable when at a stop. Go figure.
    So I just called the dealership to find any status with my Tahoe.
    Since doing the tire rotation, balancing, marking rims and tires and re-testing did not solve the issue, a new drive shaft was ordered. It is my understanding that the new shaft was installed and the problem still exist.
    Now the shop will replace the tires completly and is waiting for additional advice from GM. Stay tuned.
  • john603john603 Member Posts: 3
    My vibration actually started when I had the front end aligned and put new tires on. The vibration had never been there before.
    I just installed a set of these $1,200 Michelin tires and that is when the problem started. I have had them balanced 4 times in 3 weeks now and even had another set of tires installed. Problem is still there. I have spent 6 hours sitting in the tire store getting all this done. I NEED HELP!
    One more thing. The last two times they balance the tires, we go for a 15 minute test drive and the tires were removed and balance checked. They are out of balance.

PLEASE HELP!
    UPDATE:
    My Tahoe was at the shop for a week, on Monday 24 Sep, 2012 the regional GM rep, or something like that, apparently visited the dealership and troubleshooted my vehicle. After several tire balancing, rotating and road tested (about 200 miles) they settled with replacing one (1) tire. The shop informed me that upon replacing the so called defective tire they, yes "THEY", could not detect any more vibration. As I picked up my vehicle I was asked to do a road test with the Service Manager, so I did. The initial drive was somewhat positive because the road is uphill, I felt the vibration still present but gave it the benefit of the doubt. On the way back I informed my passenger, the service manager, that the vibration was still there. Of course, he didn't feel anything. So I was told to do some more driving, to put some miles on it and report back my findings.
    Well, I've done that and the vibration is still there. There is no way to convince my mind to over run what my whole body feels. There's no way to make myself believe that it's ok to drive $60,000+ down the road knowing there is a problem and I'm just to suck it up and live with it. I'm looking for solutions and not more excuses. I firmly believe they don't know where and how to fix this issue.
    I will be returning back to the dealership when the sun comes up.
    Ours started the day we bought it. The dealer located the one my wife wanted. When she drove it she felt it. She didn't want to sign for it, our salesmen told us that if it was still there in 500 miles they would replace them. Keep in mind that we have been doing business with this dealership and salesmen for over 5 years. Anyway It never went away, they replaced the 4 tires and low and behold the shaking was still there. The dealer knows its there, we have taken it to 2 dealers and they both know its there they have felt it several times. When we pushed them to FIX it, (the dealer and GM) they decided now it is the normal function of the vehicle or it is within manufacturer specification(s) (I like that one) and then there is, "its within tolerance" (who's tolerance, was my question?) Well we moved forward with the BBB and have a date in Oct. in my state you have to do this first. If that doesn't work you can move forward with the Lemon Law.
    Good morning john603,

It looks like you've been working with your dealership on this and are having some difficulties getting things resolved. If you wanted for us to check into this further, please contact us via email at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • brycourtbrycourt Member Posts: 9
    Look back at PG 4 and see if they will entertain this device to truely id the vibration. It does not go later that 2008 but tire sizes they reference apply.

I truely cannot believe there has not been some type of TSB or recall - seem to be many unhappy Chevrolet Tahoe/Suburban owners. We were in the same situation until the driveshaft actually went out.

Again Ref PG 4:
    Subject:EI07266 - Vehicle/Tire Vibration, P275/5R20, LT265/70R17, P285/45R22, LT245/75R16, P265/70R17 #07-03-10-013A - (11/01/2007)

Models:2007-2008 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT
    2007-2008 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
    2007-2008 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL
    with any of the following Tire RPO's:
    - QSS (P275/55R20)
    - QXT (LT265/70R17)
    - QST (P285/45R22)
    - QIZ (LT245/75R16)
    - QAS / QAN (P265/70R17)
    - QJM / QJP (P265/70R17)

Attention: Proceed with this bulletin ONLY if the customer has commented about this concern AND the EI number is listed in GMVIS. If the customer has not commented about this condition or the EI does not show in GMVIS, disregard the bulletin and proceed with diagnostics found in published Service Information. THIS IS NOT A RECALL -- refer to Service Bulletin 04-00-89-053A for more detail on the use of Engineering Information bulletins.

This bulletin is being revised to add tire RPOs QST, QIZ, QAS, QAN, QJM and QJP. In addition, step 11 has been revised to request the 11-digit DOT number of the tire. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 07-03-10-013 (Section 03 -- Suspension).

Condition
    Some customers may comment on a vehicle/tire vibration.

Cause
    GM Engineering is attempting to determine the root cause of reported tire vibrations on vehicles equipped with P275/55R20, LT265/70R17, P285/45R22, LT245/75R16 or P265/70R17 tires. GM has a need to obtain information during diagnosis and BEFORE repair. This information will be used by engineering to "root cause" the customer's concern and develop/validate a field fix.

If the customer's concern can not be duplicated -- disregard this bulletin. If the customer's concern can be duplicated, complete the following steps. Be sure to note the following information on the repair order:

Verify that the VIN and mileage listed on the repair order is accurate. Describe the customer's concern (i.e. shake, buzz, roughness, tingling). Note when (mph, idle, accel, decel, etc) and where (steering column, seat, etc) the vibration is felt. Document the tire size and manufacturer of the tires currently on the vehicle. Inspect the following components to verify that they are in good working condition. Note any "faults" on the repair order:
    • tire/wheel assemblies
    • steering components
    • suspension components
    Install the J 38792-A (Electronic Vibration Analyzer -- EVA) sensor to the component identified by the customer as the most respondent to the vibration. If no component was identified, install the J 38792-A sensor to the steering column. Select a smooth, level road and slowly accelerate the vehicle up to highway speed. Observe the vehicle for disturbances that match the customer's description and note the following conditions:
    • Vehicle speed
    • Engine RPM
    • Transmission gear range and specific gear
    • Vibration frequency reading, detected by the J 38792-A
    If the sensor was originally placed on the steering column, and the vibration seems to excite a particular component of the vehicle more than the steering column, move the J 38792-A sensor to that component and repeat steps 6 and 7. Does the frequency data clearly fall within the tire/wheel parameters? (Refer to Symptoms -- Vibration Diagnosis and Correction, found in SI).
    • NO -- continue to diagnose and repair the vibration not related to the tire and wheel assembly. • YES -- proceed with Step 10.
    Using the HUNTER GSP9700 Roadforce/Balancer, measure the roadforce variation of each tire/wheel assembly. Also, with the original balance weights still installed, measure the inboard and outboard imbalance. Record the findings on the RO. Record on the repair order, the 11-digit DOT number found on the rim flange of the tire.
    PRIOR to making any repairs, contact the engineer listed below with information from your diagnosis. The engineer will provide direction to repair the customer's concern. For vehicles located in SE Michigan, the engineer may need to physically inspect the vehicle.
  • furrowjockyfurrowjocky Member Posts: 14
    Have 06 suburban with 59000 miles on it. It has always had a problem of wearing the tires on the inside. Its been aligned 3 or 4 times has not helped. Ran the P series tires for 32000 with no problems, some gravel, mostly pavement. Had a set of cooper discover ht on it last, 16 inch. After 26000 miles with inside wearing again, the vehicle started pulling to the right bad. So I put new michelin 265 75 16 ms 2's on it. Drives like a dream but has vibration starting 60-65 and disappearing at about 80 mph. Only vibrates under acceleration when your coasting its quiet. Going to have tires looked at this week, seems to me it should be some type of drive train problem. Why should new tires bring out a drive train problem? Any help on this problem would be greatly appreciated. thanks
    I agree with you. GM does not know how to fix it. I got the same thing...two dealer ships felt the vibration, tried to fix it and GM rep show up and tries to say it is normal vibration. How is a vibration normal? Keep it all documented and tell them to buy the truck back or trade for something else to get all your money back. If it goes nowhere get BBB involved. If you cannot get this done with BBB go to an independent shop and see if they feel the vibration. Then ask them to put it in writing. Then give this to BBB, Dealer and GM. After that it will be time for an attorney. Pay attorney to right the letter on legal action with the reference to independent shop and all the documentation and trying to fix the issue. Judges will want to see that all effort was done to solve the issue. This will get them to move as you can have attorney file for 3 times the cost of the truck under one of the Texas laws. That letter with the independent shop will get them to move. This is what an attorney told me. I did not have to go the attorney route as I was tired of wasting my time. I think part of their goal is to drag out to hope you will just accept it and move on… It is ridiculous we have to come to such things and waste so much time when they have been trying to fix it since the first day of ownership....GM is just losing customers and it seems they don't care. It is a numbers game for them…right now GM must feel it is not affecting them and willing to take the hits.
    I agree, this is sad. I have been a GM customer for over 20 years. I have never bought anything but. I have arbitration tomorrow 10-10. I will not win but here in NY you have to do this first before filing under the NYS New Car Lemon Law. This issue has been going on now for 10 months. I am not going away!
  • schoonersschooners Member Posts: 7
    stan99 and 68mustang: It's definitely a situation where they hope we will just give up and move on. Not the case. We are currently talking to GM and working with them to get one last repair attempt. So far, that's even been a debacle in trying to resolve! I'm not holding my breath. We have an attorney on stand-by for after this lemon law bit is completed. I also have a case in with BBB about the whole situation. So far, I think we're crossing all our "t"s and dotting our "i"s. The worst part is making payments on a truck I can't stand to drive! We like the vehicle, but wish they'd either fix the vibration issue or just buy it back. We're not giving up!! Oh, and they still owe us a darn floor mat that they removed when they "attempted" to repair it but never did. Service Manager said he ordered us a new one, but wouldn't you know it, he hasn't called to say it's in the shop yet. This was a month ago. He said it would take a week or two to get. LIAR. Grrrr!!
    I am further than beyond frustrated now. It's Friday after 4:30PM and I had to call the dealership to get in update on my vehicle. They've had it since last Monday. The only thing they could tell me is that the service advisor or manager will call me back next Monday because they don't have a word for me. I don't know what this means. NO WORD? When I dropped off my truck on Monday I spoke with the sales manager, I stated my case again and asked: "What is it going to take for you to take this vehicle back? You know we have a defective vehicle and not you, nor your service team, the field rep nor GM knows how to fix it! He replied with a stupid smirk on his face and said: "I am not going to buy it back because I did not sell It to you." "And if I buy it I will price it as a used vehicle." I'm glad I'm still sane and rational or I would not be making this update. This would be at a great loss to me, being that I bought extended warranty and the extra interior / exterior protection.
    By the way, the GM customer service rep who appears on this site and who asks for information referred me to another rep who dropped me off like a bad habit. They really don't want to hear from you. They actually drop out the face of this earth. It is insane. I have written to the GM and Chevrolet customer service and this dealership's higher owner and no response.
    I agree 100% that they play this game in hope you will just walk away. I am in the complain process with BBB and notifying the military community in my area. My other goal is to prevent other consumers from getting taken advantage of.
    We did the BBB route. We were warned by a lawyer friend (who only deals with corporate law not lemon law) to not be surprised that you lose in the BBB arbitration since they are paid by business owners. Well we did lose. The entire time the service managers from both dealers agreed that they felt the shake/vibration but they are now saying that it's a "characteristic of the vehicle". So why did they tried to fix so many times. The BBB arbitrator stated in the reasoning for the denial that we brought it in 6 times but each time it was fixed. Why would I keep bringing back if it was fixed? And why would they try to fix if it's a characteristic of the vehicle. It goes in circles....
    Anyhow our next step is the Attorney General to pursue the lemon law (but you are required to do the BBB arbitration first). We'll see.... I am as frustrated as you. Can't believe after being a customer since 1987 and buying new every 3-4 years and sometimes sooner that they treat customers this way. But to them we are just a speck, we don't matter. Also I too bought the extended warranty and the undercoating and all, and was offered a $7000 trade assist from them but the dealer then proceeded to say well I need to fix your truck and put back on the lot and lowballed the trade by $5000. So since it's so new and I added the extra coverage and protection I was losing money. What good is the $7000? And why is the dealer giving me $5000 less for the truck if it's a "characteristic of the vehicle" Will keep edmunds posted on what the State Attorney General finds.
    Just to clarify that $7000 offer was made before we went to the BBB, because they would not let me use that offer at any other dealer than the one that lowballed the trade off KBB value by 7000.
    Dear Friends, I resolved my issue. No, I did not get the issue resolved by GM or Chevrolet as they stated the vehicle was just fine. On my last trip to the shop the so called field expert checked the tolerable or allowed vibration for my Tahoe. Apparently they placed a vibration meter in the vehicle and it showed 12% on a scale from 1-20. Wow amazing how things work on their behalf.
    Anyway, I have sold the problem and moved on. It was not worth my time.
    Good luck in your own issues and do perform a through check drive before buying.
    Good for you. We also did the same thing with ours. We dumped it!!!!We went with a 2013 Dodge Durango Citadel with the V-8, This vehicle is GREAT and best of all, it does not shake!! Go figure?? We will NEVER buy another GM vehicle ever again! I might dump my chevy p/u next year and grab a RAM. Good luck with your next buy.
  • toyotanotchevytoyotanotchevy Member Posts: 2
    Chad, I believe you have the source of the issue pinned. I have a 2010 Tahoe LTZ and have been fighting with Chevy since last Fall about the vibration and intolerable driving experience. While I have no doubt that there may be other issues with these vehicles given what I've read there is almost certainly a vibration issue stemming from the Cylinder Deactivation System. Based upon my experience (driving and in dealing with Chevy) and independent research/consultation the tire-related "fixes" seem to be a somkescreen for the true problem BECAUSE THIS ISSUE CANNOT TRULY BE FIXED! It is an engineering/design flaw that purportedly allows for better fuel economy but causes the vehicle to drive horribly. The only "fix" (which is what was proposed to me Round 1 with Chevy) was a reprogramming of the vehicle. But the details are purposely scarce when you inquire for an explanation of what this process entails and why it needs to be done. However, when i was told that this "fix" would be coupled with a MANDATORY RELEASE because it "COULD" result in poorer fuel economy I absolutely refused. I am not an enginer nor a mechanic but common sense tells me that they will be deactivating (or significantly liniting its function...likely in the lower gears where it is more discernable, with the worst vibration?) this improperly functioning feature because it does not and has never worked correctly. So the runaround continues on into month 6! And the farther up the foodchain you get the less competent the people apparently are at Chevy - granted that part of it is that the District Managers/Specialists are towing the company line and running interference to keep you in the dark as to the true issue...AND HOPE YOU GO AWAY (its a numbers game for Chevy...$$$...for an incurable issue of this magnitude). I have consulted with a friend who manages Tahoe/Suburban fleet vehicles and this is a commonly know problem for those in the "inner circle". So it is not that no one knows how to fix this problem, it is that THERE IS NO FIX and Chevy doesnt want you to know it. I am onto Round 2 of this pathetic debacle and will not be going away. If what I have found out independently is correct then I have purchased an expensive SUV that was not the vehicle it was represented to be! I wonder what the NHTSA would have to say about this (or what may be already going on behind closed doors and what is already known about this problem with the vehicles) but unless you put up with the intolerable functioning of this defective system, it is reprogrammed and the published MPGs are inaccurate and their CAFE numbers are skewed, perhaps making them non-compliant. THIS IS NOT THE VEHICLE THAT I PURCHASED AND IT CERTAINLY DOESN'T APPEAR THAT THIS PROBLEM CAN BE PROPERLY REMEDIED! For those of you experiencing this problem, the next time you drive switch the instrument display to the current/real time MPG tracking mode (where it shows the switching from 4 to 8 cylinders) and you will notice that the vibration and hesitation (pedal response...and the lag) will occur when it shows the engine is swithing from one to the other. But apparently covering up this issue and cramming a "solution" down your throat COUPLED WITH A WAIVER for the poorer econony that will invariably result is acceptable to Chevy. Shameful! Lets not also forget that there was/is a recall (ehr, "Customer Satisfaction Program" - my apologies, Chevy, for calling it what it is) for some sort of a gasket to be installed due to "excessive vibration" casuing cracking (I believe it was on the transmission casing?) - either way, they abolsutley know of this issue and all of this just seems to be consistent with the smoke and mirros strategy to keep the consumer in the dark. I will post updates on my ongoing efforts because I am not going to do what they want and just go away. Every day I drive this Tahoe I am reminded of my awful decision to take the Toyota conquest cash. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles my Tahoe has but I would take my wife's almost 10 year Sequoia any day over my Tahoe. 10 years and NO ISSUES - just brakes, tires and battery...so it IS possible to make a sound SUV. Chevy/GM just havent figured it out I guess and they are resistent every step of the way to address the shortcomings on their Tahoes, etc. I just wanted to buy American...
    Well my wife and I just got done dealing with GM - We live in NY and have bought GM products for over 25 years. We have never owned anything but GM cars/trucks. We bought a 2010 Tahoe LT - This was our 3rd. Tahoe - We noticed that the truck had a vibration from the day we took delivery. The dealer told us that is was the tires and that they could not replace them until we had 500 miles on them. They claimed it was because they had flat spots. It never went away. They replaced them, it never went away. They replace the wheels and tire - it never went away. Was offered a buy back but that was a joke, had to buy from only one dealer that GM picked, that dealer low balled the trade value. We know this because we took it to a different GM dealer and they offered about 6K more then the other. Filed complaint with BBB. BBB sent independent tech. to test. They came back with - don't feel vibration but there seems to be a misfire. Went to Local deal to address (keep in mind that all we want it the truck fixed) go figure! Anyway was told by local dealer that they could not touch the truck because of us filing a complaint with BBB. GM head office said that was untrue. Anyway had hearing lost (big surprise) We dumped it with only 9,000 miles on it and really didn't take a beating on trade. Bought for the first time a Dodge, My wife went with the Durango Citadel and She LOVES IT. NO MORE GM for us. Now I need to dump my truck.
  • zastryzastry Member Posts: 1
    Hi my name is kathy and I just purchased a 2011 tahoe ltz and I have taken it back to the dealship 6 times in less than 6 months for vibration and they also told me to replace the tires. let me know if you find out anything please. thanks so much
    Kathy

I am sorry to hear that you have purchased the Tahoe "shaker" My advice to you is keep your receipts, watch your miles and file a complaint with General Motors and the BBB. Not sure what your laws are in your state, we live in New York. We had to use the BBB first before we could move forward in any court filings; we filed that complaint with them, the BBB and no big surprise we lost with the BBB. We knew that going into it. We kept our truck under 12,000 miles as required per the NY Lemon Law. We had several sets of tires put on to include different wheels (OEM) and we also drove several different Tahoe’s, which some had a shaking issue greater than ours. The Corvette Tech that drove with us, couldn't believe how much the truck shook, he told us that New Tires would not fix it. Ours came with a set of Goodyear’s. Once we filed with the BBB, we had issues getting our truck even serviced at the dealer that included warranty work. We looked at retaining a Lawyer and suing, but when we looked at the fine print from the law firm, we decided not to move forward. We sold our 2011 truck and bought a 2013 Dodge Durango Citadel. My wife loves it! The sad part is GM lost a good customer; we will never buy another GM vehicle again. We trade about every 2 to 3 years and have been doing that with the same deal for over 25 years. We haven't looked back. Good Luck!
  • toyotanotchevytoyotanotchevy Member Posts: 2
    Since my post on the prior page from 4/11 I have since restarted discussions with Chevy and then gone ahead with the "reprogramming" of my Tahoe, as I felt that I had truly and finally identified the source of the vibration despite Chevy's smoke and mirrors tactics. With no other options and Chevy clearly trying to make this a "battle of attrition", I thought this would prove my point BUT I REFUSED TO SIGN THE WAIVER. By limiting/changing the function of the fuel saving cylinder deactivation system the fuel economy was obviously going to be reduced (according to Chevy's propaganda "it could"), they needed to cover their backsides so I held the line and said no. Really? So you either have a system that actually increases fuel economy as advertised (and causes the vehicle to drive terribly) or the system is a sham because if you modify it the economy will change! Either way, this is inexcusable and actionable. Anyway, I have had the "reprogramming" done and the driving experience has become somewhat better but because the system was not completely disabled the vibration is still there. This has conclusively confirmed what Chevy would not fess up to: there is an inherent problem with this system! Again, the instances of vibration are absolutely keyed to this system engaging and disengaging. So now I have a very expensive SUV that drives only tolerably now which certainly better than what it was before but still completely unacceptable. The kicker is that, although a much smaller sampling, I have been tracking my fuel economy since the reprogramming and I have lost about 1 mpg in fuel economy. I have pics of my dash from when I left the dealer lot after the work was done to prove the before and after mpg and will continue to track this. I know Chevy will continue to blow smoke when I raise this issue again with them and say: see, told you so; there is a reason you wanted a waiver signed and a reason for this SUV to be advertised the way it was with fuel saving technology...and because of the flawed design what I said would necessarily happen has happened". Not to mention that I still hate driving my Tahoe because of how it still performs even with the reprogramming. So now I still have an expensive vehicle that I dislike, but that is marginally better than before, BUT IS NOT THE VEHICLE IT WAS ADVERTISED TO BE THAT I BOUGHT, BASED IN LARGE PART UPON THOSE REPRESENTATIONS. It seems that these problems are widespread which would indicate serious design/engineering flaws that Chevy has to know of - I am certainly not the only one experiencing issues and not the only one getting blown off in various shameful ways by Chevy. There are so many things wrong here that it has the making of a broader class action. This should pique the curiosity of both state and federal officials. These vehicle do not work as advertised and consumers are getting a raw deal and so is the environment as Chevy's CAFE #s are skewed and not what they appear to be...perhaps their fleet is not even compliant if actuals are used for the huge numbers of these SUVs on the roads. Good reason to give people the runaround and steer them away from the true problem by blaming the tires to drag out the process and leave people without straightforward recourse. I will continue the fight for what is right and will not just go away as Chevy wants me to. I know Chevy reps monitor these boards to try and play damage control so I formally welcome someone form Chevy to contact me to discuss this mess. If anyone does step up to do what is right and legitimately address this serious issue I can only hope that they are more "skilled" than the "District Rep" that I have had the unfortunate privilege of being stuck with twice....despite my warning to not pass my follow-up Service Request file back onto him again.
  • surbysurby Member Posts: 1

I recently changed my trans oil cooler lines in my 2010 Tahoe 4-WD, which I've read on these posts that they have been problematic, and I have developed a bad vibration when accelerating. When I hit about 30 MPH the vehicle really shimmies pretty bad then it stops and does it again around 50MPH. At cruising speed it seems to run okay but while I watch the Tach it seems to increase and decrease slightly like the tranny is slipping. Had to unhook front driveline to insert hoses so was thinking that maybe the driveline is not in the correct position but that wouldn't explain the tach moving around. Hard to believe changing the tranny cooler hoses caused a problem, but ... Any input would be appreciated.

• plata10aveplata10ave Member Posts: 3

So thought I would inquire if anyone out there might have some insight on this........just bought a 2012 suburban 1500 LT as a certified pre- owned with 17k miles on it.....really love the truck. Except for one thing....the ride. This thing is extremely under damped. It has the 20 in wheels with the bridgestones.. And it cannot handle bumps well at all. I have been reading the comments on this thread for some time now and wanted to post on my issues as I am confused. I owned a 2010 avalanche for over three years and it rode great....never complained about the ride, just the cylinder deactivation thing at 30mph that everyone hates....I am no exception. But it rode great. Now I have the Suburban (an upgrade I thought) and I can't stand the ride quality. This truck cannot handle bumps at all without bouncing, shaking, and having significant steering wheel jitter back and forth at high frequencies. I am going to start the dealership experience and I hope they can shed some light........

• winglover1winglover1 Member Posts: 2

I have a 2005 Suburban that until recently rode very smoothly. It started developing a vibration between 50 and 58 MPH. I took it to a mechanic I trust and they jumped all over the tire balancing and rotated front to back, set the tire pressure and said it was good. I had my reservations. I bought the truck new and notice everything…. Sure enough, Vibration was still there. It goes away under acceleration and deceleration, but is very bad in that speed range.

So before I take it to the Chevy dealer, what should I demand they do? Put it on the rack with the wheels free spinning?

Help me Mr Wizard?!

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    edited June 2014

Hello plata10ave,

We are happy to hear that you are loving your 2012 Chevrolet Suburban! However, we understand how displeasing it is to have the concerns you are experiencing. If any support is needed contacting your dealership, we are always here to assist. Please send an email to socialmedia@gm.com with your VIN. Thank you!

Andraya
    GM Customer Care

Andraya, thanks for the concern. I have setup an appointment with Jay Chevrolet in Highland MI for an attempt to identify the source of the issue. I will request your assistance if needed. Thank you!

• winglover1winglover1 Member Posts: 2

Chevy CS asked for all my info, VIN, mileage, closest dealer, whether I had taken it to a dealer in the last 30 days. That was over a week ago and then poof… Nothing! Thanks Chevy! My next truck might have to be a Dodge or even a FORD!

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

Did you check your spam folder? Sometimes stuff just gets lost in the "ether".

Hello winglover1,

We are sorry to hear that you have not heard back from anyone. Did you send an email to socialmedia@gm.com? Please send an email with Attn:Andraya in the subject line with the requested information and further details about your situation if my assistance is needed. I hope to hear from you soon!

Sincerely,

Andraya
    GM Customer Care

@plata10ave said:
    Andraya, thanks for the concern. I have setup an appointment with Jay Chevrolet in Highland MI for an attempt to identify the source of the issue. I will request your assistance if needed. Thank you!

You are very welcome! I'm happy to hear that you were able to schedule an appointment with your dealership. Please keep us updated on your resolution! Thank you!

Andraya
    GM Customer Care

Well, it has been a while since I last posted on this issue I have been dealing with on my 2012 suburban LT, but I pursued trying to resolve the issue through Jay Chevrolet in highland, and no resolution......long story, but there service "expert on ride/suspension" issues was conveniently on vacation the day that I scheduled for the issue to be investigated....really? I scheduled this appointment 2 weeks in advance and I dropped the truck off as planned ......and when I checked on the progress of the investigation of the issue I am told that the "technician that is the expert for that stuff" is on vacation?......um.....done with that dealership.

Took the truck to dealer in Saginaw (draper chevrolet) and explained the shake issue (IMO it is a truck that has bad front shock absorbers......steering wheel shakes significantly over bumps.....consistently on concrete highways (like the dampers can't keep up with road inputs)...small bumps sound bigger than they are.....everything feels poor from an impact standpoint....everything. Like I said......dampers. I am an engineer and have spent my entire career developing vehicles from a ride/dynamic perspective, and this vehicle is not right.

Anyways, the dealer assessment....."your truck is fine". Like everyone else that has posted on shake issues in their trucks/suburban/tahoes........no, my suburban is not fine. Please listen to me when I talk, and please hear what I have to say, after all, I just spent a lot of money on a vehicle that is your flagship of the brand and I don't enjoy driving it....period.

I have contacted GM service, they have contacted the regional GM service rep and we are trying to schedule a time that he and I can get together to drive and evaluate the issue. I hope something good comes of it....I hope.....

Well, it has been a while since I last posted on this issue I have been dealing with on my 2012 suburban LT, but I pursued trying to resolve the issue through Jay Chevrolet in highland, and no resolution......long story, but there service "expert on ride/suspension" issues was conveniently on vacation the day that I scheduled for the issue to be investigated....really? I scheduled this appointment 2 weeks in advance and I dropped the truck off as planned ......and when I checked on the progress of the investigation of the issue I am told that the "technician that is the expert for that stuff" is on vacation?......um.....done with that dealership.

Took the truck to dealer in Saginaw (draper chevrolet) and explained the shake issue (IMO it is a truck that has bad front shock absorbers......steering wheel shakes significantly over bumps.....consistently on concrete highways (like the dampers can't keep up with road inputs)...small bumps sound bigger than they are.....everything feels poor from an impact standpoint....everything. Like I said......dampers. I am an engineer and have spent my entire career developing vehicles from a ride/dynamic perspective, and this vehicle is not right.

Anyways, the dealer assessment....."your truck is fine". Like everyone else that has posted on shake issues in their trucks/suburban/tahoes........no, my suburban is not fine. Please listen to me when I talk, and please hear what I have to say, after all, I just spent a lot of money on a vehicle that is your flagship of the brand and I don't enjoy driving it....period.

I have contacted GM service, they have contacted the regional GM service rep and we are trying to schedule a time that he and I can get together to drive and evaluate the issue. I hope something good comes of it....I hope.....

Hey Plata10ave,

We certainly apologize for this, and understand how frustrating this may seem for you! We would be more than happy to look into your case further and provide any additional information. Feel free to send us an e-mail at socialmedia@gm.com along with your VIN, contact information and your case reference number. We look forward to your response!

Patsy G
    GM Customer Care

• zack05zack05 Member Posts: 5
    It has been 7 years and 50,000 miles since my original post in March 2008 concerning the vibration at highway speed in mt 2008 Tahoe Lt with Goodyear Wrangler 17" tires, and I would like to give an update. After three trips to the dealer, two of which they balanced the tires and the third they said the vibration could not be felt, I finally gave up and put up with the poor ride and drove lower than 65 mph or faster than 75 mph where the vibration was lowest. As time went on and the tires wore down, the vibration got lower in intensity, and finally at 50,000 miles (the original tires still had some tread depth left), I replaced the tires with Michelin X-LT2 265x70x17 tires and the vibration went away. I now get a fabulous ride vibration free at all speeds, and the ride is smoother, quieter with better mileage than with the original Goodyear Wranglers. I just wish I had changed the tires earlier, it would have saved a lot of grief.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,182
    zack05 said:

It has been 7 years and 50,000 miles since my original post in March 2008 concerning the vibration at highway speed in mt 2008 Tahoe Lt with Goodyear Wrangler 17" tires, and I would like to give an update. After three trips to the dealer, two of which they balanced the tires and the third they said the vibration could not be felt, I finally gave up and put up with the poor ride and drove lower than 65 mph or faster than 75 mph where the vibration was lowest. As time went on and the tires wore down, the vibration got lower in intensity, and finally at 50,000 miles (the original tires still had some tread depth left), I replaced the tires with Michelin X-LT2 265x70x17 tires and the vibration went away. I now get a fabulous ride vibration free at all speeds, and the ride is smoother, quieter with better mileage than with the original Goodyear Wranglers. I just wish I had changed the tires earlier, it would have saved a lot of grief.

Sounds like you had a bad set of tires. It's too bad that the dealer wouldn't work harder to pinpoint the problem, though it's harder with a new car, I guess.

About 10 years ago, my local independent tire dealer put a set of Bridgestones on my CR-V. A premium line, no expense spared. Terrible vibration followed. Moved them left/right, then front/back. Nothing worked. Finally, he borrowed his niece's CR-V, and put my new tires/wheels are on her CR-V. Same result.

Returned the tires to the distributor and put on a different brand/model, at no additional expense to me. Needless to say, he gets most of my tire business.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• chevyman43chevyman43 Member Posts: 1
    I don't know if you have had this answered yet but a common problem with the burbs was the manifold gasket seal blowing under little pressure. It could be that. A good way to tell is if your engine temp fluctuates a lot. Its a 1000 dollar fix and the dealership should have found it by now but other than that I don't know.