Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suburban Tahoe Vibration Problems

ktm9ktm9 Member Posts: 4
I have a 07 Suburban w/ less 1000 miles. It has been in the dealership for a week with a vibration problem from 45 mph and higher. Every time they says its fixed, it is worse.

Comments

• jolivierijolivieri Member Posts: 1
    I have a 03 Suburban and had that vibration, the same thing happened to me. The U joints were bad and caused my whole transmission and exhaust to crack. I now have to pay 3600 to fix it. I would have them check again..
  • jgrady7jgrady7 Member Posts: 1
    hello people,
    This is my first post and I looked for other topics that covered this but found nothing for my year tahoe. May be a different problem. A year or so ago I sold my jeep to buy my wife a hyundai and I took her 99 chevy tahoe. She put a 3 inch suspension lift on it and tires before i met her. Anyway, when im driving almost any speed the truck is fine, but when I start to slow down the whole front end seems to shimmy. It doesnt do it all the time though. Ive heard it could be my pittman arm or my brake calipers. Just wanted to know if anyone else had this similar problem before I crawl up under there this weekend.
    Thanks
    John Dillard :sick:
  • catamcatam Member Posts: 331
    Don't know if you fixed or not but....
    Usually a shimmy when you step on the brakes is caused by a warpped brake rotor. Hope that is it for you, its an easy fix compared to a pittman arm or other steering linkage parts.
  • bgallen46bgallen46 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I am new to this forum and have a couple of questions.
    I am interested in buying a 1999 Chevy Suburban 2500 4X4 w/ 104k miles. This one has the 7.4 (454), and I was wondering what kind of issues (if any) could I expect with this engine/trans powerplant image
  • zowner1zowner1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Z71 4wd and I experience a vibration while making a low speed turn. The vibration occurs whether I am moving forward or backward. At first I thought it had to do with the idle (New Throttle Body Kit Installed)then I thought it had to do with the differential (Front and Rear Differential Service) now I am wondering if it has to do with the U-Joints. Any body with any ideals? Local Chevrolet Dealership is scratching their head.
  • kenmoosekenmoose Member Posts: 2
    Check the GM service bullents. I was something about that a couple of weeks ago.
  • keithl2keithl2 Member Posts: 2
    I'm getting frustrated. Truck has 4000 miles and it's bouncing merrily down the highway. Dealer road forced balanced @ 1200 miles, two tires were out of spec. & replaced. It helped but the vibration is coming back. My hands start to get numb after 30 min. Has anybody had trouble with 17"Goodyears? The dealer gave me another truck to drive (14 miles new) and it vibrates worse than mine. The area chevy svc. advisor said this is normal operation for the vehicle. Does anybody else have this problem ?
  • keithl2keithl2 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 40K vibrator too. the tires they replaced were so far out of spec they should'nt have left Goodyear. The demo the dealer gave me is worse than my truck ever was. I'm going back today to see what they came up with.,I drive 3,000 mi. a month,this vibration is pounding struts,shocks,steering and springs to an early death.
    What happened to you,did they fix it?
    Thanks
    keithl2
  • burbo7burbo7 Member Posts: 4
    I've have the same problem. Dealer has had the vehicle 3 times over the past 1.5 months. Worst seems to be at 73mph. It is just like a tire out of balance. Shaking your thighs, and extremely annoying. Latest from the dealer is it is a problem with the 20" wheel/tire combination and is occuring on a lot of vehicles. They told me I wouldn't have the issue if I had 17" wheels. After several new tires, and road force balancing, The vibration has changed but is still present. At this point they are going to buy a set of premium tires, to replace the OEM model. I have a case opened with GM. Pretty bad for a $50K vehicle. I'm not to confident the issue will be resolved with the new tires.
  • rjt427rjt427 Member Posts: 26
    I have a 2007 Tahoe. I had a vibration problem also and I have the 20inch wheels with Good year tires. The dealer had to balance the tires again to get rid of it.But it still did not take care of it , so I had the tires balanced again . It seams to be ok but for how long ?
  • hinsonelectrichinsonelectric Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2008 that I purchased at the same time I purchased (2) 2500 ext. cab pickups. They drive better that my loaded suburban. The dealer and GM have been ignoring the problem. They have had the vehicle 14 Days between the four trips. They are bringing in the factory rep next week. However, I did get a copy of a bulletin #2035368 that states if the customer does not indicate a problem disregard the bulletin. Its not the Tires!
  • zack05zack05 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2008 Tahoe 5.3 engine, 2WD with 17-inch Goodyear tires and have a similar vibration that starts at 66 MPH and peaks at 77 MPH. You say it is not the tires, but you don't say what the problem is, and I can't find a copy of the bulletin you mentioned. Is the problem in the drivetrain? I feel a slight high pitched vibration in the steering wheel under light engine load at all speeds and am not sure it is related to the larger vibration felt in the steering wheel and seat at high speed.
  • tomiro2tomiro2 Member Posts: 1
    Curious what you have learned since your post in November. I have a 02 Burb that likely has the same type of vibration as yours. I've tried new tires, swaped tires and rims from another burb, removed rear drive shaft and drove in 4WD with only the front drive shaft engaged all to no avail. The vibration still exists although it does seem different each time. I just got back from having my burb in the shop for approx. the 8th time over this. No one can pinpoint the cause. Anything you or anyone else can add would be greatly appreciated.
    GM ended up purchasing a set of premium (grade A) Michelin tires at a cost of $1200+. This is what the Service Manager said is the only thing that he has seen that takes care of the problem. GM district rep agreed. Problem fixed. The burb cruises smoothly at all speeds. I have to give GM some cudo's, they stood behind the product and spent the money to fix it. According to the SM, the OEM Bridgestone tires are a grade B tire.
  • zack05zack05 Member Posts: 5
    Burbo7, What model Michelin tire did GM put on your truck? Was it the LTX-M/S, or the Cross Terrain? Also, did they road-force balance the new Michelin tires?
    They are the LTX-M/S. Just completed a 1500 mile trip up north and still rides fantastic. They did road force balance the tires from what I recall, as with all the others they tried to make work.
  • richbikerichbike Member Posts: 8
    My 2007 Tahoe LTZ also has a terrible vibration problem. I've replaced all four brakes and rotors, two new OEM tires and numerous balancing attempts. Still, the vibration persists. Frustrating to say the least. What type of 20" tires are being used to stop the vibration? There was a mention on Michelin's though these seem to be the 17" version. If anyone has any suggestion, please let me know. Thanks, Rich.
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Is it the typical wheel/tire out of balance vibration?.....ie....starts vibrating around 55 to 65?

Or is it a warped rotor type of vibration? ..... doesn't vibrate until you begin to apply the brakes most detectable slowing from 40mph?

Or could it be an unbalanced drive shaft?
    You might have someone drive your vehicle about 50 mph on lightly travelled road, and then you follow around in another vehicle and watch the wheels to see if you can find one which is misbehaving badly (wobble, bouncing, etc). It is sometimes easiest if while following you inch your car over, so you can get a visual sight line up the side of the vehicle. You may have a bent wheel, but you would think that the tire balancer's would look closely and monitor that.

If none of that finds anything, look for a shop that has a 'road force balancer'. Do an internet search, and their website will identify local garages. It is a special balancer which balances the tire while it is pressing a load on the tire, simulating the weight of the vehicle.

I have a 2007 LTZ w/20" OEM wheels and tires, and it is smooth as can be.
  • arriearrie Member Posts: 312
    After replacing all brakes and rotors, two tires and doing multiple tire balancings you still have terrible vibration. Obviously the problem is not with above mentioned parts.

Your post does not say how the vibration occurs but I assume it occurs while driving and not just when you apply brakes, right?

If above is true, i.e. your vibration happens all the time and of course more severely with higher speed, check your drive axle from the gear box to the differential.

The U-joints in the end of the drive shaft must be positioned correctly. This means that on the middle part of the shaft, the long part, the U-joint knuckles must be aligned. I hope I use the correct wording here. The middle part of the drive shaft usually has the axial movement built in to it (spline) and when assembling this part of the shaft it can be done wrong, i.e. the U-joint knuckles are not aligned correctly.

On correctly assembled shaft the U-joint knuckles are positioned in the same plane. Only at this position the shaft delivers constant rotation speed thru the shaft. If shaft is assembled with an angle (rotation direction) difference between the U-joint knuckles the shaft will develop an "oval" speed output in the other end, which would make the car shake as hell while driving.

If your truck is 4-wheel drive check the front wheel drive axles too as they might be simple U-joints instead of CV-joints and can cause a vibration issue just the same way the drive shaft can if assembled incorrectly.

Arrie
    Kaiwah and Arrie,

Thanks for the quick and detailed reply. Plenty of very good suggestions.

Yes, I have had the tires road forced balanced. One the new OEM Bridgestone tires failed the test. The dealer said that it was a problem they had been seeing with the Bridgestone tires and suggested I contact Bridgestone for warranty information.

Burbo7 said on June 18th:
    "GM ended up purchasing a set of premium (grade A) Michelin tires at a cost of $1200+. This is what the Service Manager said is the only thing that he has seen that takes care of the problem. GM district rep agreed. Problem fixed. The burb cruises smoothly at all speeds. I have to give GM some cudo's, they stood behind the product and spent the money to fix it. According to the SM, the OEM Bridgestone tires are a grade B tire."

That's quite interesting. Costco sells these tires and I have ordered a set of 4. Will inform the board if this fixes the vibration issue.

Rich
    Follow-up to replacing the stock tires with Michelins. It did indeed fix the vibration issue and have been driving for about a year with no issues.
  • cat125cat125 Member Posts: 36
    I have a 2008 Tahoe and Im having the same problem with vibration in steering at 70-80 miles - i've been to the dealer six or seven times and its probably worse than before - it feels like a wobble or something wrong with a tire but we have replaced tires at least five times and wheels at least three times -our last attempt was to replace with the wheels and tires from a new vehicle in the lot - tried both bridgestones and good year - what is wrong ??? is it the drive gear the drive shaft ??? Its driving me crazy and now Im scheduled for another repair on Monday - is this car a Lemon ???? it only has 35,000 miles
    Does it work - Im having the same problem with 2008 Tahoe - 35,000 miles - vibration at 70 mph - tried several tires and wheels - does anything work
    Cat125 - Replacing the original stock tires with Michelin's from Costco reduced about 70% of the vibration...which is significant, though the Tahoe still does not drive as it did for the first 15,000 miles. The problem started after a dealer balanced and rotated the tires...to which I still think he must have switch a rim (though I can't prove this). After swaping rotors, pads and one rim, on a recommendation, as well as several force-balancing and an alignment, the best fix was swapping the tires. I wished it drove like it did the first 15,000...nice and smooth. If you find the ultimate fix, please post. Thanks! -Rich
    Rich; thanks for the quick reply - my problem started when I decided to replace the factory wheels with GM accesory wheels that by the way were very expensive - so far have switched wheels three times - more expensive GM accesory wheels and even wheels from a 2009 new truck in the lot - also replaced first three good year eagles and eventually all four tires for bridgestones - did the force balance a million timers on all twheels and tires - someone just mentioned the drive shaft loosing its balance - not sure exactly what this means but it makes some sense as this happens upon an initial variation of tires ???? not sure how you are coping with still a 30% vibration - for me its unberable on a new vehicle with only eighteen months use - this is not a cheap SUV and this should not be happening - they have not done any break work on mine which also seems unreasonable as this has been going on for over a month and more than six or seven appointments - how many miles on you Tahoe now ??? How difficult is it to re-balance the drive shaft ???
    Cat125 - I fully agree with the following statement: "its unberable on a new vehicle with only eighteen months use - this is not a cheap SUV and this should not be happening." It is unbearable and numerous dealer (six to be exact have attempted to fix the vibration), but NONE of the dealers referenced the issue you sent from GM.
    Thank you so much for sending this bulletin!!!!!!!

I did not know this bulletin existed.

I have a fully loaded LTZ Tahoe with the 20" tires and I will be at my dealer Monday morning with a copy of the bulletin. Will keep you updated on what they tell me and what occurs. If nothing, I will contacted GM directly. We shouldn't have any vibration issue on a vehicle we are still making payments on.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    GM techs may not want their names or contact info posted on an internet forum so we've pulled the post so Cat125 can edit out the name and phone number and repost.
  • newtahoe101newtahoe101 Member Posts: 2
    Can you please re-post the bulletin? I have a 2009 Tahoe with vibration problems at all speeds, so I'm curious what the bulletin says. I bought my Tahoe less than a month ago, and have been back to the dealer three times already. Not what I expected after spending $45k+ on a new car. I have 20 inch rims with Goodyear Eagle tires. I wondering if it's the tires, or something more serious. The service manager said it is "normal", which I think is BS.
    Steve ; the problem is not with the tires or the wheels - my truck has had at least three different sets of wheels and two different sets of tires - bridgestones and goodyear and both GM accesory wheels and 2009 factory brand new wheels - by switching tires they can reduce and minimize the problem when using the force-road balancing machine - but the fact is if your problem is like mine the body will continue to vibrate - there has been speculation from forum readers regarding the drive shaft and the U joints but in another forum there is someone who had all that work done and the problem still remains - ask the service manager if he would buy a used vehicle with that kind of vibration.... much less a 45 K new vehicle. will send the bulletin - good luck
    Document ID# 2035368

Subject:EI07266 - Vehicle/Tire Vibration, P275/5R20, LT265/70R17, P285/45R22, LT245/75R16, P265/70R17 #07-03-10-013A - (11/01/2007)

Models:2007-2008 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT
    2007-2008 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
    2007-2008 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL
    with any of the following Tire RPO's:
    - QSS (P275/55R20)
    - QXT (LT265/70R17)
    - QST (P285/45R22)
    - QIZ (LT245/75R16)
    - QAS / QAN (P265/70R17)
    - QJM / QJP (P265/70R17)

Attention: Proceed with this bulletin ONLY if the customer has commented about this concern AND the EI number is listed in GMVIS. If the customer has not commented about this condition or the EI does not show in GMVIS, disregard the bulletin and proceed with diagnostics found in published Service Information. THIS IS NOT A RECALL -- refer to Service Bulletin 04-00-89-053A for more detail on the use of Engineering Information bulletins.

This bulletin is being revised to add tire RPOs QST, QIZ, QAS, QAN, QJM and QJP. In addition, step 11 has been revised to request the 11-digit DOT number of the tire. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 07-03-10-013 (Section 03 -- Suspension).

Condition
    Some customers may comment on a vehicle/tire vibration.

Cause
    GM Engineering is attempting to determine the root cause of reported tire vibrations on vehicles equipped with P275/55R20, LT265/70R17, P285/45R22, LT245/75R16 or P265/70R17 tires. GM has a need to obtain information during diagnosis and BEFORE repair. This information will be used by engineering to "root cause" the customer's concern and develop/validate a field fix.

If the customer's concern can not be duplicated -- disregard this bulletin. If the customer's concern can be duplicated, complete the following steps. Be sure to note the following information on the repair order:

Verify that the VIN and mileage listed on the repair order is accurate. Describe the customer's concern (i.e. shake, buzz, roughness, tingling). Note when (mph, idle, accel, decel, etc) and where (steering column, seat, etc) the vibration is felt. Document the tire size and manufacturer of the tires currently on the vehicle. Inspect the following components to verify that they are in good working condition. Note any "faults" on the repair order:
    • tire/wheel assemblies
    • steering components
    • suspension components
    Install the J 38792-A (Electronic Vibration Analyzer -- EVA) sensor to the component identified by the customer as the most respondent to the vibration. If no component was identified, install the J 38792-A sensor to the steering column. Select a smooth, level road and slowly accelerate the vehicle up to highway speed. Observe the vehicle for disturbances that match the customer's description and note the following conditions:
    • Vehicle speed
    • Engine RPM
    • Transmission gear range and specific gear
    • Vibration frequency reading, detected by the J 38792-A
    If the sensor was originally placed on the steering column, and the vibration seems to excite a particular component of the vehicle more than the steering column, move the J 38792-A sensor to that component and repeat steps 6 and 7. Does the frequency data clearly fall within the tire/wheel parameters? (Refer to Symptoms -- Vibration Diagnosis and Correction, found in SI).
    • NO -- continue to diagnose and repair the vibration not related to the tire and wheel assembly. • YES -- proceed with Step 10.
    Using the HUNTER GSP9700 Roadforce/Balancer, measure the roadforce variation of each tire/wheel assembly. Also, with the original balance weights still installed, measure the inboard and outboard imbalance. Record the findings on the RO. Record on the repair order, the 11-digit DOT number found on the rim flange of the tire.
    PRIOR to making any repairs, contact the engineer listed below with information from your diagnosis. The engineer will provide direction to repair the customer's concern. For vehicles located in SE Michigan, the engineer may need to physically inspect the vehicle.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Thanks for reposting that!
    Steve : Not to freak you out but look at this post from another forum -

The dealer has replaced the Intermediate shaft, 4 new OE shocks, replaced the wheels and tires(new take offs from a 2008 Tahoe, 20"inch- road forced balanced the tires, balanced the drive shaft, did rotor run out, checked the rear rotors for warpness, but the vibrations are still there between 65-75 mph and doesn't go away unitl you get below 65 mph..Whats next?
    Steve ; in fact you should not have a problem - Chevy now allows for 60 day guarantee that you can return your vehicle if not satisfied -
  • newtahoe101newtahoe101 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the information. Unfortunately I waived the 60 day return right in exchange for an additional $500 off. Bad decision on my part.
    Bad decision indeed - Live and learn with GM -
  • center_linecenter_line Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 Tahoe LTZ with 20-inch wheels and Bridgestone tires. I was searching through the forums for vibrations in the driver side mirror and came across this thread. My dealer has replaced the mirror on two occasions. They were aware of the vibration issue with the Tahoes but I haven't experienced the problem. If I recall correctly, they attributed the vibration issues to off-spec tires.

I've put 30,000 miles on my original tires and they're holding up great. Plenty of tread wear left and no vibrations. I routinely rotate them and keep my Tahoe in 2 wheel drive mode unless it's raining or I go up to the snow.
  • trav_land05trav_land05 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 05 tahoe that has 2 15s in the back and when the system is turned off it used to sound like a hay wagon until i invested in some fatmat rattle trap extreme 80mil sound deadener i covered the doors completely the roof the floor all the way to under the front seats double in the hatch area on the sides floor roof and hatch and i have to say the doors shut like a benz door with authority lol and its sounds great inside no lil rattles or vibrations and not to mention the gain in sound quality and spl i tell everyone about this stuff its great it took me about a day and a half to pull out my interior and put the stufdf in and put it all back but it was well worh it
    Tahoe is great truck and in fact is still the best value for the money - just went to car show this weekend and similar trucks are on average 20K more expensive - all brands have issues - unfortunately mine is having some - vibrations can be caused by tires but it seems there is something else causing vibration in my vehicle - it happens to one in every couple of thousand vehicles no matter the manufacturer - one very expensive brand new SUV from friend of mine is having trouble as well with the diesel engine and that is a 60K truck - some Japanese large SUV's have also proven complicated-
  • hipshote28hipshote28 Member Posts: 1
    My truck just went nuts my volt guage an oil pressure gauge went south changed my sensor on oil level we had really cold weather for 4 days 17 deg an colder now its not working can some help me
  • meachamdmeachamd Member Posts: 13
    I have been reading these blogs about the Tahoe Vibration. Unbelievable that it is still occurring. I purchased my new Tahoe Feb 13, 2010. I drove it to Virginia the following week end and it felt like I was drive a dump truck. When I returned the following week I took it back to the dealership for the salesmen to tell me that's the way it drives. Because it's on a truck suspension. Well I knew that wasn't right so I made an appointment for the service department to look at it. They force balanced the tires and drove it and sign it off. When I pick it up that afternoon I knew it was still vibrating. Actually it was worst. I emailed all of the management at the dealership and got their attention. Within 30 minutes I got a phone call. I took it back to them (they've had it 8 days now) and they said it was the drive shaft. Guess what? It wasn't!!! Now they are saying it the ring gear in the differential. And maybe it is. But it seems to me they are still guessing. I'm not sure how the differential can cause such a vibration with the SUV driving in a straight line. But if anyone has any insight to why the ring gear can cause this problem please reply with the answer. I really want to know. Thanks
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    edited March 2010
    Have the done the obvious, like test swap the whole set of 4 wheel/tires off a vehicle that you know rides smooth, to totally rule out your wheels as the problem?

Or put your wheels on another vehicle that initially drives smooth, see if the problem moves with the swap or not.
    Yes, they replace the tires/wheel with another new Tahoe but had the same problem.

I got a call Saturday (27th) that it was ready to be picked up and problem was fixed. They replaces the Ring gear in the differential. They drove it and said it was fixed. I picked it up and drove maybe a mile and knew it wasn't fixed. I took it back to them Sunday. They called again today to say the ring gear is out of round again. OMG-- I can't take too much more of this crazy stuff.
  • cavemanautocavemanauto Member Posts: 1
    I can't beleive no one is looking at the Rack & Pinon steering as a potential problem. I have a county vehicle in my shop. Vibrates when slowing at highway speeds, not brakes, not tires-wheels. Looks like a design flaw to me. This vehicle is too heavy for the Rack & pinon design. The bushing are too soft, and over time, it allows for side to side movement of the entire rack & pinon unit. I can see after about 30K miles how it would start to vibrate just like a bad tire, even when not braking. Problem is with the bushing design, even with a new one, the same thing would happen after same miles. Design Flaw in my opinion. Rack & Pinon is for cars-not trucks.
    They were actually saying there is a problem with the rack and pinon as part of the problem. But they don't know if it's actually causing the ring gear to get out of round. Which in turn causing the vibration. They are waiting on GM to tell them what to do next. Everything is on hold until then. But I've already filled out the Lemon Law paper work, when I go in to talk to the Sales Manager tomorrow and don't get the answers I'm looking for then I will go to the post office. But I don't think I want another Tahoe if it's going to have the same problem. Do all of them have rack and pinion steering? I would assume so.
    I only have 3000 miles on my Tahoe...
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    edited April 2010
    Interesting to see similar "shakes" in other new Tahoes, Suburbans, etc. like my new Avalanche.

Bought a new '09 Avalanche (last to be built for the model year, 10/09) on the last day of February '10. Almost 2 months now, 2700 miles (first 700 from the dealer in Georgia delivering it to me). 2wd Z71 model with the "off road" bits, 265/65/18 Bridgestone Dueler A/T RH-s tires, 6-spd trans and 3.08 rear axle.

Has shuddering/vibrating quiver where the seat shakes, steering wheel vibrates and floor quivers cruising and accelerating. Random at times in how bad, once in a while will just go smooth. Cross truck shudder & quiver, cruising and accelerating, especially when warm/hot out.

Did it from new, but I couldn't figure out what it was. Drove a new leftover '09 4wd 1LT with the factory 20's and 3.42 rear before, it was dead smooth. No vibration, just smooth and solid. Drove a '10 2wd Z71 with the 3.42 before signing for mine, since mine was coming from so far away & I had never actually driven a Z71, and it was softer than the 1LT with a bit of flat spotted tire shake for a couple miles, then smooth. Just a little luggier feeling than the 1LT & 20's, because of the A/T 18" tires, as expected.

Mine does this:
    -"Quivering" feeling driving even at really low speeds, feel it in the seat and wheel
    -Vibration through the seat and wheel continue up to speed, worst generally from 35-55 and can get a little less if faster
    -When warm out, sunny, etc. and the tire pressures bump up, it shakes worst...oddly, on night trips, it's turned smooth or smoother for no real reason, cooler roads aside
    -Any kind of texture to the road makes for a constant quiver throughout the truck, still there on perfectly smooth roads but not as much; driving through my development at 25'ish, it quivers
    -Warm/hot days when shaking, it'll studder to the side and wobble over bumps...maybe just the A/T tires, but more pronounced at times
    -Some days, not cold but not hot, and raining/wet it'll be smooth...or at least smoother than otherwise
    -On the days that the vibration in general is really noticeable, shakes badly when accelerating from a stop too
    -Shuddering is V4/V8 mode regardless, and the truck idles and revs like butter--not even a vibe at idle. Just had the ECM/TCM custom tuned (performance, better shifting, etc.), and no change in the shaking whatsoever

What's been done:
    1) Dealer tech drove, felt vibration, road forced all tires & said they were out of balance; said it still had a vibration afterwards but to drive it since it was still new, and see "sometimes those tires get like that if they sit a while"; for the most part, it was the same or worse after they balanced them.
    2) Not believing the dealer, I took it to an actual Bridgestone dealer locally who was glad to help. Knew every possibility. Day I drove it to them in the rain and 50 degree temps, it didn't vibrate a bit and was SMOOTH. Of course. They road forced all the wheel/tire combos too, and said they were actually some of the best assemblies they'd seen and were true & in balance. Said it could either be something with the truck or maybe just the feel of A/T tires on a luxury SUV.
    3) Back to the dealer last week, but of course the truck got SMOOTH the same day, for no reason. Couldn't even make it shake. Explained this, but what it also does most often when warmed up & they noted it. End of day, got a call a tech had driven it 25 miles "but didn't feel anything'. Of course. Still felt smooth when I picked it up, like in the morning, but after about 5 miles of errands & heading home in on a warm, sunny afternoon, the shakes were back, not the worst but still there. The next morning, same roads, same temps, it vibrated like crazy first like a switch had been flipped, steering wheel shaking, seat shaking, the bad cross truck shudder on perfectly smooth roads turned back on. Sad to stop in next time I'm out, it's shaking, and they're open. Trying...

It's weird because it always shudders, but some days can go from barely to really bad. Usually just always the constant light to aggravating quiver & shudder that comes through the seat, wheel and floor. Our '02 Z66 and '04 Suburban before never had a single vibration issue at any speed from day one, and I didn't notice anything in either of the other 2 new Av's I drove, or any other GMT-900 Yukon's, etc. I drove before.

The fact that it's worst when hot and the tire pressures bump makes me think tires, as does the smoother rain drives. But 2 road force jobs, including one from a very helpful Bridgestone dealer, and it still shakes slow, accelerating, or cruising.

1) Tires/wheels. Still likely. But on/off/sorta random-ness? Still possible. These Bridgestone Dueler A/T RH-S tires in this size are on an eon bazillion of these trucks, but I have yet to find any reported number of issues. 1 or 2 here or there, complaining of them throwing rocks all over, but not vibration issues.
    2) Drivetrain? Runs like butter, still, doesn't hesitate, doesn't even give off any vibes at idle. If the driveshaft were out of balance, a U-joint, etc. with issues, I wouldn't think there'd be the random shakes, doesn't shake, sorta shakes, smooth as silk, my hands are going to fall off shakes...weird. I know the 6L80E from my G8 GT well, not a normal trans issue. Truck is now tuned, ECM and TCM, and not a single change in the shaking.
    3) Smoother at night after sitting sometimes? Again, weird...

I'm about to just pay for new tires and go from there. Hoping for a good shaky soon with time to stop in at the dealer & give an impromptu ride, but we'll see.
    Well after a whole new rear end and 2.5 weeks later...it still vibrate between 45-55 mph. Just called the East Coast Rep for Chevrolet and they want me to bring it back to the dealer for them to ride with me. New tire will not help. I just talk with a Bridgestone tire dealer yesterday and said that it has been done before and it's not the tires. He was very helpful and drove it himself. I'm at my wits end, can't believe a vehicle of the price would have such problems. Chevrolet doesn't not know what causes it. But I'm with you the vibration frequency (amount of) depends on the time of day. Mornings going to work is the worst case. Thanks for your input beach15.
    been there - took me more than two months and over 10K miles to fix my problem - at the end of the day and after going to arbritration which I lost vs. GM all it took was changing deaerships - took the truck to a dealer much further away and it payed off - suggest you try the same - some dealers dont have the mechanics that can work these issues - youcan always call and find out - Grand Prize Auto in Miami - the problem has vanished ..... happy again - think it had to do with the drive shaft after alll - good luck
    have them check the rack and pinon - just remembered that in my truck it had to be replaced a month after the vibration problem was fixed - not sure how the vibration ws fixed and the problem went way but then trouble with rack and pinon happen so you might as well have them take a look at that - read a blog in this group that talks about the rack and pinon being the cause and it does make sense